** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The most unlucky person

Nade

I really do feel like the most unlucky person to have ever played poker at the moment. Just days on end where i play STT, tight, by the book and yet when i attempt a rare bluff i run into big hands and when i have a big hand e.g Q's running into A's, or K's and ace high will beat me or short-ish stack i push with A10 suited get called by AK it's like a never ending cycle atm. Haven't played cash for a few days but last time i did it was the same there and i played a couple of HU today and first one i flop a straight i bet a lot get called bet a load more called again they push on river and turn over their runner runner FH then on the second one i flop a set so push after a bet by them and they hit a straight. The MTT's well, whoever calls an all-in who isn't putting their 'championship life on the line' stays in EVERY time, of course knocking me out no matter how bad their hands are. It's like what do i do? I play solid poker by the book, learn, read, learn off here, learn off every hand i lose to yet still get bent over the desk constantly and quite often by completely rubbish hands. Just needed a random rant after a hard session, not after any replies, unless you can relate to this, but it's hard to relate to the unluckiest person in poker :lol I WILL BE BACK :dude

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The most unlucky person "Bad luck" is just short term variance and applies equally to everyone...... When "bad luck" moves beyond the short run, then it is actually a bad player, rather than bad luck (I'm talking generally here - not about you).

Re: The most unlucky person long ago I won a coin flip in STT's and it's now a run of 18 losing flips (I'm really counting) . Maybe they're doing this to accounts who didn't deposit any money and are playing with freeroll money :lol. I think you'll turn it around, give 15 min breaks between two stts that's what I'm doing and I really cool down after 15 mins.

Re: The most unlucky person Good tips all :ok It was an unlucky session and in general i haven't really felt i've had too many unlucky sessions like those so just got to get used to it. That's a hell of a lot of coin flips you've lost aimar, now that's seriously unlucky m8 :loon The general advice for bad runs: Have a break, have a KitKat! :dude

Re: The most unlucky person just check out the last hand I posted on my topic. I didn't put it there because it was unlucky I put it for advice but just see that and I can't tell you how many times it happened to me (dominating and losing) I didn't get angry though I'm used to it now which is really good for me ;).

Re: The most unlucky person

"Bad luck" is just short term variance and applies equally to everyone...... When "bad luck" moves beyond the short run, then it is actually a bad player, rather than bad luck (I'm talking generally here - not about you).
You can always rely on GaF for a bit of sympathy at times like this! :rollin

You can always rely on GaF for a bit of sympathy at times like this! :rollin
:rollin .... yeah, he really knows how to get people back on their feet :rollin Seriously though... he has a point... (as freakin' always :eyes ) Some time ago I experienced something like it, and I realised I wasn't just being unlucky - my game changed as I was loosing. I was playing too tight with no edge (possibly with a slight fear of loosing too) Maybe you need to move down the stake-ladder (where it doesn't matter if you win or loose) and refind your aggressive game :ok Good luck :) (or... good play ;) )

:rollin .... yeah, he really knows how to get people back on their feet :rollin Seriously though... he has a point... (as freakin' always :eyes ) Some time ago I experienced something like it, and I realised I wasn't just being unlucky - my game changed as I was loosing. I was playing too tight with no edge (possibly with a slight fear of loosing too) Maybe you need to move down the stake-ladder (where it doesn't matter if you win or loose) and refind your aggressive game :ok Good luck :) (or... good play ;) )
Agreed. Basically, there are three possible responses to a seemingly unlucky streak. In increasing order of constructiveness (is that a word? constructivity?): (i) "It's fixed!!!" (ii) "It's just variance." Which could well be right. (iii) "What am I doing wrong? Let's think about it." Even if it is just variance, it won't hurt to think about the way you're playing. I don't remember who it was, but I read something by a poker player saying that the worst thing that had ever happened to his game was having an extended lucky streak early in his career. It just made him complacent, and at the stage where he should have been thinking a lot about what he was doing right or wrong, he just felt invincible, with the result that when his lucky streak ended, it took him far longer to realize that he was doing some things wrong rather than just being stitched up.

Re: The most unlucky person OK, That's it another succession of bad beats and i'm not playing on PKR anymore. Only played it for the money and i have made a lot from there but it's blatant a complete load of crap with the hands that come out (just look at the forums for the amount of dodgy hands that come out) Just went out of the last 2 STT's first one in 5th after losing with AK v AQ then was chip leader in second one and lost AQ v A9 flush then AJ v A10 another flush! and went out in 4th. It's not a matter of bad play if i'm putting the chips in when i'm ahead every time but getting so many bad beats it's unreal :puke

Agreed. Basically, there are three possible responses to a seemingly unlucky streak. In increasing order of constructiveness (is that a word? constructivity?): (i) "It's fixed!!!"
OK' date=' That's it another succession of bad beats and i'm not playing on PKR anymore. Only played it for the money and i have made a lot from there but it's blatant a complete load of crap with the hands that come out (just look at the forums for the amount of dodgy hands that come out) Just went out of the last 2 STT's first one in 5th after losing with AK v AQ then was chip leader in second one and lost AQ v A9 flush then AJ v A10 another flush! and went out in 4th. It's not a matter of bad play if i'm putting the chips in when i'm ahead every time but getting so many bad beats it's unreal :puke[/quote'] I think that's a (i). :lol Sorry, I don't mean to be unkind, but I think a lot of people tend to forget that, bad luck or good luck, the hands where you get knocked out are more likely than others to be the ones where you get bad beats. After all, if you get lucky, that's not going to be the hand where you're knocked out. There are going to be hands where you're unlucky, and there are going to be hands where you're lucky, but it's the last hand you tend to remember.

Re: The most unlucky person hurrah get them bad beats in - means you are a better player just a small point re the bad beats - are you making the call or forcing them to do so? there is a difference! for instance you raise with AJ and the A10 shoves for all your chips when you can comfortably fold, then calling is a bad play (am ignoring the hands here) because he may have you dominated - also without seeing the HH its impossible to pick out hands as bad beats without the whole context of the play - there might be compelling reasons why all the chips went in the middle when they did just a few thoughts Damo

. It's not a matter of bad play if i'm putting the chips in when i'm ahead every time but getting so many bad beats it's unreal :puke

It's not a matter of bad play if i'm putting the chips in when i'm ahead every time but getting so many bad beats it's unreal :puke
Depends how far ahead you are. I just got a torrent of abuse in a $109 game on Betfair for calling with 68s vs 2 guys who had me covered - I got the straight. Was it bad play? Maybe, but I put them on 2 high cards each, I was in the BB, short stacked, and getting something like 5 to 1 odds to call. Figured it was worth the shot, and took it. Just because you're ahead doesn't mean you have a divine right to win.

Re: The most unlucky person The simple facts are that i wouldn't be making such a fuss if they weren't a) bad beats and b) so often over the last 2/3 days. So before i go on another rant that's it.

:$ :$ :$ Say what you see. You can't win if you dont buzz in. What's Mr Chips doing there?
I think I'm as puzzled as some of the people who played against A.L.I.C.E last Friday. I'd read the explanation, but there were a few people in Birmingham telling me that GaF had been completely blotto the previous night. But in case of the 2% chance that I've offended you ... I was only kidding, honest! :$

The simple facts are that i wouldn't be making such a fuss if they weren't a) bad beats and b) so often over the last 2/3 days. So before i go on another rant that's it.
Fair enough, Nade. BTW, just been reading Sklansky, and he points out that good players are always going to get far more bad beats than bad players - simply because they'll usually be ahead when they go in, rather than behind. So perhaps it's a good sign after all :)

Post of the day for me Damo
No, not the devine right, but i personally think i have the right to win if i go all-in PF and am ahead, because i have played it right so to then lose would pee anyone off. My main point is that atm i've come across a crazy amount of bad beats and having read a tonne of posts about the same things on PKR i may as quit while i'm ahead and go back to proper poker. Seriously, don't know if it's possible to link to their forum here but there are a lot of people trying to find out who runs the card generator for PKR because it is blatantly not 'random' so it's not just my thoughts because i can't take the beats theres more serious things afoot. "Good players get more bad beats" I'll take that ;) :dude

Re: The most unlucky person laddies players are adament that the laddies river is fixed Betfair players are adament that their cards aren't random so it doesn't surprise me that pkr players dont believe in their cards... I think EVERY card room has a section of players who are convinced that the site that they choose to play their cards at is fixed, and fixed against just them.....

No, not the devine right, but i personally think i have the right to win if i go all-in PF and am ahead, because i have played it right so to then lose would pee anyone off.
It's annoying but I think luck extends far beyond this. Going all-in with the better hand merely gives you the favouritism to the right of winning, and there are also occassions in which you could put your money in when you are well behind yet still be playing optimally as well. Also, I feel that there's much more to being unlucky or lucky than just winning showdowns. Imagine if your dominating Ace that lost to the A9 flush was actually AA and it was folded when you bet. You'd probably be saying instead how unlucky it was that you didn't get your action.

No, not the devine right, but i personally think i have the right to win if i go all-in PF and am ahead, because i have played it right so to then lose would pee anyone off. :dude
as i said, getting your chips in first when you are ahead is the best play, but without the full HH we don't know the full context of the 'bad beats' Nade - no one is picking on you - we have all been there, we are simply trying to work through what might be happening good luck matey, in the long run being ahead PF will pay off for you :ok Damo

I think EVERY card room has a section of players who are convinced that the site that they choose to play their cards at is fixed, and fixed against just them.....
You may be right, but i was playing on ipoker for months before PKR and the cards on there are 100% quality i.e. everyone doesn't get great hands all the time and to hit a pair is a good hand for example, which you cannot say in either case on PKR. I've no problems in any way on ipoker so it's not as if i think the world is against me or anything i'm just relaying my thoughts :ok
Imagine if your dominating Ace that lost to the A9 flush was actually AA and it was folded when you bet. You'd probably be saying instead how unlucky it was that you didn't get your action.
I get your point but you'll never hear me complain and never have when everyone folds my bet PF ;)
as i said, getting your chips in first when you are ahead is the best play, but without the full HH we don't know the full context of the 'bad beats'
I would go and fish out these hands but i'm currently playing the PS2, chatting on MSN, making dinner and posting random things on here and about to watch the footer lol, but trust me they are hands which i should have won. cheers :).

I have to say I'm fed up of PKR too. I think I'm going to take out the last of my money and move the rest to Full Tilt and start playing primarily Omaha Hi.
Can I ask why Omaha? And why Omaha High? I haven't ventured outside of NLHE yet. And in the spirit of the thread... I barely broke even last month. The month before I doubled my BR :nana . This seemed to be the start of my probs, as it made me think I could beat the game at my chosen level (0.05/0.10 on Boss) and I started playing far too loose. Once I cottoned on to where I was going wrong, I cut right down on pf raises and tightened up so much that I got bluffed off a lot of hands. :sad I also made some bad decisions with great hands: I took on an extremely tight player (Higoha) with AJo on a flop of AA7 (he bet into me and I went all in). He had p77. I beat myself up for two days over this, as I've shared so many tables with this player and time and time again I've told myself to be very careful when he starts betting. In the last week, I've managed to get back on track and drag myself out of hole. I ended the month just over a buy-in up over last month. Nade, if you've been beating your game then you can do so again. ;) Have a break for a day or two and work out where YOU are going wrong (maybe you're not, but in hindsight I'm convinced there is more to MY 'bad beats' than just bad luck!). Good luck mate, you'll crack it :ok