** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05

Tuesday 1 May 2007
HomeDrawAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">sp.gifBPP
Liverpool v Chelsea (19:45 BST)2.523.253.40100%Related markets...Match ResultAsian HandicapCorners Asian HandicapHalf-time/Full-timeCorrect ScoreFirst GoalscorerNext GoalscorerAnytime GoalscorerLast Goalscorer- - -Qualify1st Half Handicap1st Half Total Goals2nd Half PenaltyAway Team First Goal TimeAway Team To ScoreBookings PointsBoth Teams To ScoreClean SheetCorner HandicapCornersCorners 1st HalfCorners 2nd HalfCorners Match BetCorners O/UDouble ChanceDraw No BetFirst Booking TimeFirst Carded PlayerFirst Carded TeamFirst Corner TeamFirst Corner Team 1st HalfFirst Corner Team 2nd HalfFirst Corner TimeFirst Goal TimeFirst Goal Time 2nd HalfFirst Team to ScoreFootball Win in Extra-TimeGoals x CornersHalf with Most GoalsHalf-time Correct ScoreHalf-time Lead & Fail to WinHalf-time ResultHandicap ResultHat-Trick ScoredHome Team First Goal TimeKick-OffLast Corner TeamLast Goal TimeLast Team to ScoreNext Team to ScoreOdd or Even CornersOdd or Even TotalOver/UnderPenalty AwardedPlayer To Score 2+QuadpickScore in Both HalvesSecond Goal TimeShirt NumbersSubstitutions UsedTeam Not to ScoreTeam To Score 3+Team To Score 4+Team To Score 5+Teams To ScoreTo Miss a PenaltyTo Score a Hat-trickTo Score a HeaderTo Score a PenaltyTo Score from Inside the BoxTo Score from Outside the BoxTo Score with the FootTo Win to NilTotal Cards O/UTotal Goal MinutesTotal GoalsTotal Goals 1st HalfTotal Goals 2nd HalfWin 2nd HalfWin Both HalvesWin Either HalfWin On PenaltiesITV1.gif
Wednesday 2 May 2007
HomeDrawAwaysp.gifBPP
AC Milan v Man Utd (19:45 BST)2.283.303.70102%Related markets...Match ResultAsian HandicapCorners Asian HandicapHalf-time/Full-timeCorrect ScoreFirst GoalscorerNext GoalscorerAnytime GoalscorerLast Goalscorer- - -Qualify1st Half Handicap1st Half Total Goals2nd Half PenaltyAway Team First Goal TimeAway Team To ScoreBookings PointsBoth Teams To ScoreClean SheetCorner HandicapCornersCorners 1st HalfCorners 2nd HalfCorners Match BetCorners O/UDouble ChanceDraw No BetFirst Booking TimeFirst Carded TeamFirst Corner TeamFirst Corner Team 1st HalfFirst Corner Team 2nd HalfFirst Corner TimeFirst Goal TimeFirst Goal Time 2nd HalfFirst Team to ScoreGoals x CornersHalf with Most GoalsHalf-time Correct ScoreHalf-time Lead & Fail to WinHalf-time ResultHandicap ResultHat-Trick ScoredHome Team First Goal TimeKick-OffLast Corner TeamLast Goal TimeLast Team to ScoreNext Team to ScoreOdd or Even CornersOdd or Even TotalOver/UnderPenalty AwardedPlayer To Score 2+QuadpickScore in Both HalvesSecond Goal TimeShirt NumbersSubstitutions UsedTeam Not to ScoreTeam To Score 3+Team To Score 4+Team To Score 5+Teams To ScoreTo Miss a PenaltyTo Score a Hat-trickTo Score a HeaderTo Score a PenaltyTo Score from Inside the BoxTo Score from Outside the BoxTo Score with the FootTo Win to NilTotal Cards O/UTotal Goal MinutesTotal GoalsTotal Goals 1st HalfTotal Goals 2nd HalfWin 2nd HalfWin Both HalvesWin Either HalfWin From BehindSS1.gif
Both games beautifully poised! Let's see everybody's predictions...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Liverpool v Chelsea Champions League semi-final, 2nd leg Date: Tuesday, 1 May Kick-off: 1945 BST First leg: 0-1 Venue: Anfield Liverpool full-back Steve Finnan is set to return as the Reds look to overhaul a 1-0 first-leg deficit in their Champions League semi-final at Anfield. Striker Peter Crouch could also be in line for a starting place. Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko has joined Ricardo Carvalho and Michael Ballack on the injured list but fit-again Arjen Robben is in the squad. Midfielder Michael Essien returns for the Blues, but he could be drafted into central defence in place of Carvalho. Khalid Boulahrouz is another defensive option, while further forward midfielder Ballack has had an ankle operation which will rule him out for at least 10 days. Didier Drogba and Joe Cole, who scored the only goal in the first leg, will miss a potential final in Athens if they receive a yellow card. The same fate awaits Javier Mascherano or Jermaine Pennant should they earn a booking. Mascherano was one of seven players who sat out Liverpool's 2-1 defeat at Portsmouth on Saturday along with Jose Reina, Daniel Agger, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt and John Arne Riise. They all look certain to start on Tuesday. Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Riise, Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Pennant, Zenden, Bellamy, Kuyt, Mascherano, Crouch, Dudek, Gonzalez. Chelsea (from): Cech, A Cole, Makelele, Terry, Essien, Ferreira, Boulahrouz, Robben, Lampard, J Cole, Drogba, Mikel, Geremi, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Diarra, Kalou, Cudicini. (Taken from BBC Sport Website)

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs My thoughts here for Liverpool v Chelsea - Liverpool being my team, I just want them to have a right old go at Chelsea! I would rather Liverpool go at Chelsea full pelt and try ,than rather play a boring game trying to cancel Chelsea out and hope for an equaliser. Our 12th man really needs to be on song here and I cannot make any prediction to the game other than it is more entertaining than the 1st leg as this is often the case in important 2 leg games - the 1st is very defensive minded on both parts. Liverpool have got to get at the Chelsea defence early here and test Essien & Terry together as a partnership, as I am not convinced of Essien's central defensive capabilities. We need to push Crouch right up onto the shoulder of the last man as most teams hate playing against him, he will be a great foil for the likes of Kuyt or Bellamy running onto his knock downs and even maybe getting some free kicks in dangerous positions for Gerrard or Alonso to punish Chelsea with. We need to close Chelsea down as quickly as possible and not let them get comfortable with controlling the game to their advantage. Big performances from every man in a red shirt needed here! Rafa if your reading this - PLEASE DON'T PLAY ZENDEN!!! :lol good player that he was, he unfortunately has seen better days and he couldn't hit a barn door from 2 yds!!! I would like to see us play 3 at the back with 2 wingers 2 in the centre mid, with Crouchy and Kuyt or Bellamy with Gerrard given a licence to roam the park! My team would be: Reina ; Finnan, Carragher, Agger ; Pennant, Alonso, Mascherano, Gonzalez, Gerrard ; Crouch, Bellamy - Subs: Dudek, Kuyt, Hyypia, Arbeola, Riise, Sissoko COME ON REDS! :hope

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Liverpool -1 (EH) Liverpool to win this 2-0 and repeat this scoreline from earlier in the EPL. Liverpool go into this game with a 1-0 deficit and after the way they played in the first leg, they would have to be happy with this result. They looked unorganised, and many of their passes went astray. The resting of most of their team from the weekend should keep them fresh and reasdy for thsi ficture, which is, after all, their only hope of a trophy this year. But the pressure is on Chelsea to ensure they go through after their draw on the weekend, which all but ended their title aspirations. I look to Liverpool to win this based on several reasons: (a) Drogba, and Cole to a lesser extent, are the only players to cause Liverpool problems. I expect Benitez to have worked quite a bit with young Agger to address some of his positioning so that he ready for this match up again (b) the Anfield crowd to be in full voice which should be unnerving for Chelsea as it was in the previous league fixture © i question the Chelsea's players to cope with the pressure. One of their main leaders is Lampard, and has it has often been seen, when the pressure is on, he goes missing. They do not have the experience at this type of pressure at this level. I think Liverpool will approach this game like they did at half time in Istanbul: with a nothing lo lose philosophy. Also losing Carvalho is a big blow for them (d) i think Mourinho is starting to lose it as a coach. For all the minds games he has been playing in the last few weeks, it hides the fact that his side and his selections, style etc have been way below what they usually are. I think Mourinho is mentally trying to outfox Benitez because he has nothing else to work with as his team is tired, fatigued and one wonders what kind of harmony there is in the team with all the drama surrounding this team of mercenaries. A champion team, will in most cases beat, a team of champions. C'mon you Reds. Fire up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol By the way, i like some of Benitez' responses to Mourinho's baiting: "They know the pressures they are under, you only have to ask Mr Abramovich what he wants, the Champions League or the Premier League. They know. It is clear they will be under pressure because they were talking about trophies, trophies, trophies. Maybe they have one less to win now and that makes the Champions League their priority." "Mourinho has also been critical of Liverpool's fans over the past week, but Benitez hit back by saying that, unlike Chelsea, Liverpool do not need to hand out free flags to get their fans in the right mood. He added: 'At Stamford Bridge, we showed that our supporters won their battle, even though Chelsea had their fans all with flags to wave. But our supporters were there with their hearts. We do not need to give away flags for our fans to wave - our supporters are always there with their hearts and that is all we need." "I remember before the game in 2005, the Chelsea players spoke a lot about being ready for the Anfield atmosphere, but when the game was played they could not handle it. It's very difficult for any opposing team to prepare to play against 12 men. Our fans cannot give red cards or award penalties, but they can score goals. I like this about our supporters because we know they will show they are in the best in the world again tomorrow night. "

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Last Tuesday’s win continued Chelsea’s excellent record against Liverpool throughout the Mourinho era, but the last time Chelsea played at Anfield (back in January) they were beaten 2-0, conceding both goals within the opening twenty minutes. That result will encourage Rafa Benitez, though he will appreciate that John Terry’s absence was a key element in that result. Nonetheless, the Kop will be in full voice, effectively providing a 12th man, while Steven Gerrard is likely to have a much more pivotal role than the muted contribution at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea retained their discipline in the first leg so that none of the four players walking a suspension tightrope will be excluded here. Michael Essien returns from his ban, but the Londoners will not be at full strength with Michael Ballack and Ricardo Carvalho both injured. While Mourinho’s side produced a controlled first leg performance, the true impact of the weekend’s disappointments will be seen under the extreme pressure that a packed Anfield creates. The concern for Scousers is that they have failed their first real test of this year’s competition, having benefited from an easy group and kind knock-out route, and have also come up short in most of this season’s critical encounters. Liverpool lost 1-0 at home to Barcelona, and went down by the same score to Man Utd in the Premiership. They also lost two domestic cup games against Arsenal in the space of four days in early January, suggesting that they may be just short of the standard required at the very highest level. While Chelsea can progress with a scoreless draw but they do look a tired side,so Liverpool have to win and history is on Benitez's side - Liverpool has not been knocked out of the European Cup semifinals since 1965 against Inter Milan. ourtip.gif 2-0 to Liverpool tonight as they have to come out of the traps early and at least force Chelsea to score that important away goal, something they are capable of doing but with Shev out tonight Liverpool should mark Drogba out of the game. Liverpool to win by 2 goals @ 4.00 bet365 Liverpool to score first @ 2.00 with skybet

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventLiverpool v Chelsea
SelectionJohn Terry Anytime Scorer
Strength3/10
Date01/05/2007
Bookmaker/PriceLadbrokes @ 10.00 (Back)
ReasoningWith Diego Carvalho out, John Terry will have a big role to play and he knows it. However, I feel it'll be in the opposition's area he'll be causing the trouble. He is a massive threat from set pieces and corners and I feel the only person on the pitch who could mark him well is Carragher but he will most likely be marking Drogba leaving Terry less likely to be marked well. He hasnt scored that many this season but when the big moments come he is the type of player that will come through for you. GL

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventLiverpool - Chelsea
Selection1 (AH:0) (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date01/05/2007
Bookmaker/PriceLadbrokes @ 1.74 (Back)
ReasoningThe epic clash at Anfield between the two epic giants should be one of the games of the season. Chelsea have shown their weakest points in their last two league matches and if Liverpool can play their continental football a home win is to be expected. More tips on www.soccer-punter.com

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05 Nothing serious for me, will just cheer on Crouchie and the boys. However Riise has a superb record vs Chelsea so I'll throw in some scorecasts: Riise 1-0 @ 96 Riise 2-0 @ 101 Riise 3-0 @ 351 Riise 2-1 @ 121 Riise 3-1 @ 301 I particularly like the latter 3 for value. Of course it's just fun and I'll throw in an anytime bet for shits and giggles.

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05 Match: Liverpool - Chelsea (1/05/2007) Tip/s: Draw @ 3.00 (Bet365) 10/10 Reasoning: I think the game, overall, will be under 2.5 goals. Chelsea will no doubt be careful to guard their 1-0 aggregate. In the first leg, Liverpool was not very creative or dangerous in offense. Liverpool might score a goal, but I think Chelsea can get one too. I can't say who will get it first. I can see a 1-1 draw which will put Chelsea into the CL final. Good luck to your bets!

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05 Chelsea favourites to qualify IMO but the odds on them are pathetic. I can only really see one reason for hope for Liverpool and that is Carvalho's absence. But really a 1-0 scoreline is a very tricky one to overcome. Mourinho will be telling his players to play a patient game and watch patiently for opportunities, if they do put a goal in anytime over the 90 minutes they are nigh on qualified as they will not concede 3. Liverpool do not seem powerful enough ATM to beat Chelsea in the way that they have in the past. The 2-0 in January was under exceptional circumstances and it is very hard for me to see a repeat of that tonight. No bet for me, as I said I see Chelsea qualifying but the odds are not enticing. Might have a dabble on scorelines, can see a 1-1 or 0-1.

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05 No gigles, thats a very logical bet IMO, id'e thought he'd score in the first leg too but Zenden was in that square.. If thats the case tonight he might not have that chance again.. Im backing Liverpool strait win, they can win it 2-1 and Chelsea could still go through..

Nothing serious for me, will just cheer on Crouchie and the boys. However Riise has a superb record vs Chelsea so I'll throw in some scorecasts: Riise 1-0 @ 96 Riise 2-0 @ 101 Riise 3-0 @ 351 Riise 2-1 @ 121 Riise 3-1 @ 301 I particularly like the latter 3 for value. Of course it's just fun and I'll throw in an anytime bet for shits and giggles.

Tip Detail
Sport Football (Euro Cups)
Event Liverpool vs Chelsea
Selection Chelsea +0.25 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 8/10
Date 01/05/2007
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.92 (Back)
Reasoning Chelsea will surely travel to Anfield not in the best condition possible. With Ballack, Shevchenko and lastly but not least Carvalho missings this surely back up my statement earlier. While Liverpool on the other hand will have everything available for them plus some extra rest for their core players unlike Chelsea who were fighting for title in their last match this weekend. Added to that, Anfield has been a fortress for Liverpool and can be considered a hard place to visit. All the factors seems to be stacking up against Chelsea no doubt in this match. However, I will still take Chelsea on AH today. True the missings are important players for Chelsea but remember The Blues is a team with a lot of depth in their squad. Kalou, John Obi Mikel and Essien is surely more than able replacement for all Chelsea missings. Some of them might not have the big name factor like Ballack and Shevchenko. But watching Chelsea game almost week in and week out I know that Chelsea's replacement are more than able to trouble Liverpool. However, only major problem I see here is if Crouch is playing. Essien is obviously not a good replacement against Crouch, but luckily for Chelsea this time we will have John Terry who should be able to contain his England comrade tonight. Of course Liverpool squad in full condition is one thing to be afraid of tonight. They are top players, fit and hungry for glory just like Chelsea. But I would say Chelsea will edge them tonight still. I might be biased in my oppinion since I'm an avid Chelsea supporter. However, arguably I should say in my eyes Mourinho is a better manager than Rafael Benitez. One might argue that if Benitez have all the luxury that Jose's receives, the situation will be reversed, i.e Roman and his money on Rafa's side. However as we can see Chelsea keys of doing well is not because all their SUPER DUPER EXPENSIVE players performing like a champion and stars. I don't get it when people say that Chelsea is all about the money. In fact, the people that had helped Chelsea succeed in the EPL for the past 2 season were the likes of Makelele, John Terry, Carvalho, Lampard, and Robben. And surely the lists of players that I gave out above doesn't cost a fortune like Shevchenko who are not effective so far and Ballack who receive wages as high as one can dream about, but not shining either when playing for Chelsea. Drogba and Essien are probably the only expensive signing that starting to show their quality since pledging their service for Chelsea. But to note Drogba didn't hit form until this season so do Essien. Nevertheless, for the past 2 seasons Chelsea have won a lot of trophy including double EPL. Hence, we have to give credits here to "Special One" Jose Mourinho here and unsung hero likes Makelele and Carvalho. Ok lets not get to deep to debate between which manager is better but Jose success is not all about the money thats all I want to highlight. He knows how to use his players effectively. Weighing all factors above, I would say Mourinho would surely put 200% this time since he knew thats the only major trophy he could win this season and one of those he haven't lifted for a while despite enjoying success on managing Chelsea. I know my preview is a bit biased but c'mon giving Chelsea +0.25 is a bit too generous for me. 0 looked like the right handicap for me. May the best team win tonight !
Close Window

CL Preview: Liverpool - Chelsea What: Champions League semi-final, 2nd leg (Chelsea lead 1-0 from 1st leg) Who: Liverpool (3rd EPL, 67/108 points) v Chelsea (2nd EPL, 80/105 points) When: Tuesday, 1 May, Kick-off: 19:45 BST Where: Anfield, Liverpool, Merseyside Part Two of the all-English Champions League semi-final between Liverpool and Chelsea kicks off at Anfield on Tuesday evening, when either Chelsea will reach their first ever final of Europe's top club competition, or Liverpool will book a seventh appearance at the continent's showpiece event. And although Chelsea take a valuable 1-0 lead into the second leg on Merseyside, they also carry some physical and psychological baggage into battle. For the first time in the three seasons that Jose Mourino has been manager of Chelsea, the Blues are in grave danger of losing their dominance of the Premier League after Saturday's momentous developments. Manchester United's dramatic comeback from two-down at Everton was a knife to the heart of Chelsea, who twisted it themselves by failing to beat Bolton. Just how the Blues respond to this evidence of their vincibility will be fascinating to observe, and pivotal to the outcome of this tie. Failure and defeat are words that have scarcely been included in the Stamford Bridge lexicon since Mourinho took charge. The quadruple has been the buzzword this season, but as Saturday's lunchtime encounters on Merseyside and Fulham Broadway entered their final half-hour, the word suddenly sounded hollow. Chelsea must now demonstrate their credentials as a side of true grit, character, resilience and resolve, or they could find themselves swept away by the tidal wave of noise and passion that will cascade down from the stands at Anfield on Tuesday as Liverpool go in search of the goals that will turn this semi-final on its head. Of course, it would be utter folly to underestimate Chelsea's ability to withstand the frenzy and emotion and simply get the job done, purposefully and professionally. That clinical ability, based on real talent and awesome organisation, is a key part of what has made Mourinho's Chelsea so formidable and successful. They are an extremely good team; but how well will they cope with disappointment? Will doubts and a gnawing sense of anti-climax creep into their game post-Bolton? Or will they just dust themselves down after their damaging 2-2 draw with the Trotters and set about the task in hand at Anfield with renewed vigour and focus? Apart ftrom the psychological factors, a potentially significant problem for Mourinho is the physical one: he goes into this tie without the injured Michael Ballack, which he can probably overcome; and the similarly sidelined Ricardo Carvalho, whose absence is likely to prove far more ominous. Carvalho was injured against Bolton while Ballack has undergone ankle surgery. On the credit side, Michael Essien is back from suspension after missing the first leg; but as he showed when Kevin Davies too easily lost him to head home Bolton's equaliser on Saturday, emergency centre-back is not Essien's best position. The Ghanaian is tailor-made for the driving midfield role in which he excels. So who will partner John Terry at centre-back? Paolo Ferreira? Khalid Boulahrouz? The Liverpool attack will hope so. An apprehensive-sounding Mourinho, assessing the implications of Carvalho's injury in the wake of Saturday's dropped points, said: "He is definitely out. He has injured his knee and it is a big blow for us. He has been our best defender this season - it is as simple as that. We lost at Liverpool in the Premiership without him and we go to Anfield again without him. But when we lost in the league we had to play Paulo Ferreira at centre-back. We have better options for centre-back this time." But not that much better, if Boulahrouz is the player in mind. Meanwhile, what of Liverpool? They are trailing after playing poorly in the first leg and know they were lucky to return to Anfield only one-goal behind. Nor did they have an auspicious weekend, although their 2-1 defeat away to Portsmouth was far less significant in the context of this tie than Chelsea's home draw with Bolton. Why? Because the Reds, already assured of involvement in next season's Champions League, had the luxury of being able to rest a string of first-choice regulars, so their weakened side's performance against lively Portsmouth was not a reliable pointer to Tuesday's European showdown. And there is genuine belief on Merseyside that they can swing this tie around in their favour. The influence of the much-vaunted Kop has been well-documented, with even Chelsea's camp half-believing that the Liverpool fans can suck the ball ino the net for their team. They still maintain that was how Luis Garcia's decisive "phantom goal" came to be given against them when the two teams met in the Champions League semi-final two years ago. Rafael Benitez has studied the tape of last week's first-leg, analysed where the Reds failed and pinpointed what they need to do to prevent any repetition. All he needs now is for his players to take his game-plan out onto the pitch, apply it and adhere to it. But as a famous son of Liverpool once put it, in a non-football context: "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans." Benitez has insisted that whatever else Mourinho might say, the Portuguese coach is prioritising winning the Champions League this season. It would be a first for Chelsea, albeit something Mourinho already achieved with Porto. But if Benitez is correct, then given Saturday's Premiership twists it makes sense for Chelsea to focus exclusively on the Champions League, and leave the Premiership title and FA Cup to look after themselves when the time comes. Mourinho does not give the concept of fear much house-room, if any. But he would not be human if he was not beginning to feel haunted by the possibility of falling between three stools as he pursues the dream of footballing immortality via an unprecedented quadruple. For Liverpool, in contrast, the objective is far clearer and simpler. But are they good enough to attain it? And what sort of football match can we expect? Last week's at Stamford Bridge paled in comparison to the Old Trafford thriller between Manchester United and AC Milan 24 hours earlier. It was not exactly a stirring spectacle, but we can't expect that in a semi-final This is likely to be another very tense affair, with little between two teams who are now so familiar with, if not appreciative of, each other's style of play. Neutrals will hope for a more open game than last week's, with the ball played more along the ground than in the air. Extra-time and a penalty shoot-out will be available if required, and that prospect should also inject greater urgency into procedings. As a fixture it doesn't gt much biggr than this, so it would b nice, if naive, to think the Reds and the Blues can serve up a match worthy of the occasion - one that changes positively perceptions of the quality of the Premiership, rather than another that reinforces prejudices against England's top League. Déjà Vu Remarkably, this is the third Champions League meeting between Jose Mourinho's Chelsea and Rafa Benitez's Liverpool in as many seasons. The teams have also contested a Carling Cup final, an FA Cup semi-final and a Community Shield in the last two years. And there have been six Premiership meetings as well. This is therefore the 15th time the two managers have gone head to head since taking charge of their respective English clubs. The head to head meetings to date are as follows: 03 Oct 2004 (Prem) Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool (Joe Cole) 01 Jan 2005 (Prem) Liverpool 0-1 Chelsea (Joe Cole) 27 Feb 2005 (League Cup final) Liverpool 2-3 Chelsea aet (at Cardiff) (Riise, Nunez - Gerrard og, Drogba, Kezman) 27 Apr 2005 (Champions Lge sf:1) Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool 03 May 2005 (Champions Lge sf:2) Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea (Luis Garcia) 28 Sep 2005 (Champions Lge Group G) Liverpool 0-0 Chelsea 02 Oct 2005 (Prem) Liverpool 1-4 Chelsea (Gerrard - Lampard pen, Duff, Joe Cole, Geremi) 06 Dec 2005 (Champions Lge Group G) Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool 05 Feb 2006 (Prem) Chelsea 2-0 Liverpool (Gallas, Crespo) 22 Apr 2006 (FA Cup sf) Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool (at Old Trafford) (Drogba - Riise, Luis Garcia) 13 Aug 2006 (Community Shld) Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool (at Cardiff) (Shevchenko - Riise, Crouch) 17 Sep 2006 (Prem) Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool (Drogba) 20 Jan 2007 (Prem) Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea (Kuyt, Pennant) 24 Apr 2007 (Champions Lge sf:1) Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool (Joe Cole) The pre-match sniping between the managers - initiated, it must be said, by the confrontational Mourinho - has become steadily more acrimonious, and the Chelsea boss rather excelled himself himself in this department ahead of last week's clash. But the only talking that really matters is that done by the players out on the pitch. In that respect, the salient facts are that for all Saturday's disappointment, Chelsea remain unbeaten in any competition since their last trip to Anfield on 20th January. That is a sequence of 23 matches, of which 18 have been won and five drawn. Liverpool have played 17 games since that January win against Cheslea in the Premiership. They've won nine of them, drawn three and lost five, including both of thir last two. FORM GUIDE Liverpool 28 April (Premiership) v Portsmouth (A) LOST 1-2 (Hyypia) 25 April (Champions League) v Liverpool (A) LOST 0-1 21 April (Premiership) v Wigan (H) WON 2-0 (Kuyt 2) 18 April (Premiership) v Middlesbrough (H) WON 2-0 (Gerrard 2 - 1 pen) 14 April (Premiership) v Man City (A) DREW 0-0 11 April (Champions League) v PSV (H) WON 1-0 (Crouch) 07 April (Premiership) v Reading (A) WON 2-1 (Arbeloa, Kuyt) 03 April (Champions League) v PSV (A) WON 3-0 (Gerrard, Riise, Crouch) Chelsea 28 April (Premiership) v Bolton (H) DREW 2-2 (Kalou, Jaaskelainen og) 25 April (Champions League) v Liverpool (H) WON 1-0 (Joe Cole) 22 April (Premiership) v Newcastle (A) DREW 0-0 18 April (Premiership) v West Ham (A) WON 4-1 (Wright-Phillips 2, Kalou, Drogba) 15 April (FA Cup) v Blackburn (N) WON 2-1 (Lampard, Ballack) (aet) 10 April (Champions League) Valencia (A) WON 2-1 (Shevchenko, Essien) 07 April (Premiership) v Tottenham (H) WON 1-0 (Carvalho) 04 April (Champions League) v Valencia (H) DREW 1-1 (Drogba) This Season's Champions League Campaign Liverpool Group C 12 Sep v PSV (A) DREW 0-0 27 Sep v Galatasaray (H) WON 3-2 (Crouch 2, Luis Garcia) 18 Oct v Bordeaux (A) WON 1-0 (Crouch) 31 Oct v Bordeaux (H) WON 3-0 (Luis Garcia 2, Gerrard) 22 Nov v PSV (H) WON 2-0 (Gerrard, Crouch) 05 Dec v Galatasaray (A) LOST 2-3 (Fowler 2) First Knockout Round 21 Feb v Barcelona (A) WON 2-1 (Bellamy, Riise) 06 Mar v Barcelona (H) LOST 0-1 Quarter-Final 03 Apr v PSV (A) WON 3-0 (Gerrard, Riise, Crouch) 11 Apr v PSV (H) WON 1-0 (Crouch) Semi-Final 25 April v Chelsea (A) LOST 0-1 Chelsea Group A 12 Sep v Werder Bremen (H) WON 2-0 (Essien, Ballack) 27 Sep v Levski Sofia (A) WON 3-1 (Drogba 3) 18 Oct v Barcelona (H) WON 1-0 (Drogba) 31 Oct v Barcelona (A) DREW 2-2 (Lampard, Drogba) 22 Nov v Werder Bremen (A) LOST 0-1 05 Dec v Levski Sofia (H) WON 2-0 (Shevchenko, Wright-Phillips) First Knockout Round 21 Feb v Porto (A) DREW 1-1 (Shevchenko) 06 Mar v Porto (H) WON 2-1 (Robben, Ballack) Quarter-Final 04 Apr v Valencia (H) DREW 1-1 (Drogba) 10 Apr v Valencia (A) WON 2-1 (Shevchenko, Essien) Semi-Final 25 April v Liverpool (H) WON 1-0 (Joe Cole) Against English Opposition In Europe This is the fourth consecutive season in which Chelsea have played Premiership opponents in the Champions League. In 2003-04 the Blues met Arsenal in the quarter-finals, and drew 1-1 at Stamford Bridge before winning 2-1 at Highbury in the return. Then came the meetings with Liverpool, when all four meetings took place in 2005. In 2004-05, Liverpool knocked out Chelsea at the semi-final stage (0-0, 1-0). Both teams met in the group stage in the following season, drawing 0-0 twice. Liverpool have been eliminated twice by another English club in the knock-out stages of European competitions. Leeds United beat them in the semi-final of the Fairs Cup in 1970-71, and Nottingham Forest (1978-79) eliminated them from the first round of the Champion Clubs' Cup. EUROPEAN HISTORY Chelsea won the old Cup Winners' Cup twice - 1971 and 1998. They also won the European Super Cup in 1998. This is their fifth Champions League campaign. Their best achievement to date is reaching the semi-finals in three of the last four seasons (2003-04, 2004-05 and 2006-07). Liverpool have won the Champion Clubs' Cup/Champions League five times - most recently in 2004-05 when they won the Champions League for the first time, beating AC Milan on penalties after a 3-3 draw. They also won the European Cup in 1977, 1978, 1981 and 1984. They have also won three Uefa Cups and three Uefa Super Cups. This campaign is Liverpool's fifth in the Champions League and their 34th in European competition overall. TEAM NEWS Liverpool Right-back Steve Finnan is set to return, and striker Peter Crouch could also be recalled to the starting XI. Javier Mascherano, Jose Reina, Daniel Agger, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt and John Arne Riise were all resyed for Liverpool's defeat at Portsmouth at the weekend. All will be back in contention to face Chelsea. Chelsea Midfielder Michael Essien is back after suspension for Chelsea, but could be forced to play in central defence in place of Ricardo Carvalho, who is out with a knee injury. Khalid Boulahrouz is another centre-back option, but German midfielder Michael Ballack is ruled out after having an ankle operation which sideline him for at least 10 days. Shevchenko also missed the trip to Liverpool due to a late groin injury, but Arjen Robben makes the squad. Squads: Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Riise, Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Pennant, Zenden, Bellamy, Kuyt, Mascherano, Crouch, Dudek, Gonzalez. Chelsea (from): Cech, A Cole, Makelele, Terry, Essien, Ferreira, Boulahrouz, Lampard, Robben, J Cole, Drogba, Mikel, Geremi, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Diarra, Kalou, Cudicini. Last Starting XIs Liverpool (v Portsmouth): Dudek, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Paletta, Insua, Sissoko (El Zhar 83), Alonso, Zenden, Gonzalez (Pennant 67), Fowler, Bellamy. Subs Not Used: Padelli, Kuyt, Hobbs. Chelsea (v Bolton): Cech, Geremi, Carvalho (Lampard 29), Terry, Bridge, Diarra (Joe Cole 60), Mikel, Essien, Wright-Phillips, Kalou, Shevchenko (Drogba 46). Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Boulahrouz. Yellow Peril If their team makes it through to the Athens final, Javier Mascherano and Jermaine Pennant of Liverpool will miss out should they collect a furyher booking on Tuesday. For Chelsea, Arjen Robben, Joe Cole, Didier Drogba and Lassana Diarra are all similarly walking the yellow card tightrope. PLAYERS TO WATCH Liverpool Jamie Carragher is Liverpool's most experienced player, and is due to make his 90th appearance in Europe on Tuesday, breaking Ian Callaghan's club record. His inspirational presence and willingness to lay his body on the line for the cause will again be crucial as Liverpool try to ensure Chelsea don't score an away goal. Chelsea Andriy Shevchenko is Chelsea's most experienced European performer with 89 Champions League appearances to his name. He is also the most prolific goalscorer in Chelsea's squad with 46 career CL goals. This would have been the ideal time to underline those credentials for his friend Roman Abramovich - but the Ukrainian has now been ruled out with a 'mystery' injury - amid speculation that he objected to being named as a substitute. So in Shevchenko's absence, the attacking onus will fall on the ample shoulders of Ivorian Didier Drogba, who proved too hot to handle for the Liverpool defence a week ago with his sheer physical presence and tireless team play. Drogba has enjoyed a superb season and surely answered all his critics. There is a theory that he is at his best when engaged in a physical confrontation with a tough opponent. Benitez may choose to assign Sami Hyypia to the role of trying to contain Drogba, and that would be an absorbing contest. But few would bet against Drogba making a decisive contribution at some stage during the evening. PREDICTION This will inevitably be another tight and tense encounter. Will Chelsea sit on what they have and try to repel the expected waves of Liverpool's attacks, or seek to enhance ther lead with a priceless away goal, but in doing risk exposing their makeshift defence? Someone will emerge as a hero or villan on the night, and it could be someone missing a penalty in a shoot-out after Liverpool scrape a 1-0 win to level the aggregate scores.

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05 Just an interesting fact.....every year that ended in a 7 a new team has won, the only new team this year is Chelsea which i can't see past winning (coming from a Man U fan it is hard to say), look at past winners in these years... 57 - Madrid 67 - Celtic 77 - Liverpool 87 - Porto 97 - Borussia Dortmund Just something to think about...think this match will end up in a boring 0-0 draw as Chelsea will look to sit back and soak up the pressure like they did very effectively in the first leg second half as Liverpool just couldn't break them down, and now missing players that haven't performed, Ballack and Shevchenko is allows players that i believe will give a better performance like Robben and Kalou to come in! Definately think that Chelsea handicap looks good!

Event Liverpool v Chelsea
Selection draw
Strength 10/10
Date 01/05/2007
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.20 (Back)
Reasoning A very tight game like in the first matchup between these two. In the first game it was a lot of blood but not many occasions for Liverpool. Chelsea didn't have much either but they converted one. I see the same kind of play and with Chelsea being slightly better and getting a satisfying draw that will get them through in the end.

CL Preview: Liverpool - Chelsea What: Champions League semi-final, 2nd leg (Chelsea lead 1-0 from 1st leg) Who: Liverpool (3rd EPL, 67/108 points) v Chelsea (2nd EPL, 80/105 points) When: Tuesday, 1 May, Kick-off: 19:45 BST Where: Anfield, Liverpool, Merseyside
Totti , when you copy and paste some ones prediction, could you post the source please ;)

No gigles, thats a very logical bet IMO, id'e thought he'd score in the first leg too but Zenden was in that square.. If thats the case tonight he might not have that chance again.. Im backing Liverpool strait win, they can win it 2-1 and Chelsea could still go through..
Nice tips so I've taken bets on the 1-1 and the 1-0 with Riise first scorer. I think game is likely to follow form and be low scoring but can't see Liverpool losing. So 1-0 or 1-1 seems more likely than other scores.

Hard game to predict to say the least.

I do think Chelsea will make a bit of an extra effort not to be knocked out twice by Liverpool in the semi finals, so I tend to go for Chelsea to get through.

I am going to check out low scoring draw odds.

Event Liverpool v Chelsea
Selection Chelsea -0 AH (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 01/05/2007
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.40 (Back)
Reasoning Liverpool: Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Pennant, Gerrard, Mascherano, Zenden, Kuyt, Crouch. Subs: Padelli, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Fowler, Gonzalez, Alonso, Bellamy. Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Essien, Terry, Ashley Cole, Mikel, Makelele, Lampard, Joe Cole, Drogba, Kalou. Subs: Cudicini, Boulahrouz, Geremi, Robben, Bridge, Diarra, Wright-Phillips. On paper, Chelsea look the stronger side here and only the fact that this game is at Anfield makes Liverpool stronger favs than they should be imo. Chelsea lead 1-0 from the first leg and thus have no requirement to push forward - they can simply soak up the pressure and hit on the counter attack, which is what the second half of the first leg ended up as. This showed that Liverpools quality in depth is not up to Chelsea's and the long ball to Crouch technique should be easy enough for Chelsea. A draw is a possibility here, but i fancy that Joe Cole can again be that explosive counter attack provider that helps Chelsea to a win tonight. Chelsea still have bitter memories over 2 years ago and having lost 2-0 here in the league this season, will be more than aware of the pitfalls of Anfield. They are yet to reach the final of the ECL and with Liverpool and Arsenal having achieved this over the last 2 years, it adds another spur of motivation to Chelsea's cause. Given that Chelsea only need the draw, I'll withhold a bet on them to win straight but here we get money back for a draw, with over-even money for the Chelsea win, which seems like value to me.

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05 My Chelsea (0) bet looks even better now i have seen the lineups!! Liverpool: Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Pennant, Gerrard, Mascherano, Zenden, Kuyt, Crouch. Subs: Padelli, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Fowler, Gonzalez, Alonso, Bellamy. Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Essien, Terry, Ashley Cole, Mikel, Makelele, Lampard, Joe Cole, Drogba, Kalou. Subs: Cudicini, Boulahrouz, Geremi, Robben, Bridge, Diarra, Wright-Phillips. Don't rate Pennant and Zenden at all, while Mascherano will play defensively, and there is no speed upfront to trouble Chelsea's defence. Chelsea meanwhile have a very attacking line up which should trouble Liverpool, with the likes of Robben and Wright-Phillips to come off the bench!

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05 I have opted for essentially a DNB bet, taking Liverpool +140 to win (2 units) and draw +215 (1 unit). I think Chelsea will be hard-pressed to keep a clean sheet at Anfield, and they only themselves need 1 goal to pretty much secure their Athens ticket. I can imagine a draw or a Liverpool win, but not a straight Chelsea win...they don't need it to advance. They may play defense much of the day, going to extra time on the 0-1 result and Athens with the 1-1 or even 2-1.

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05 I've taken Liverpool to qualify at 9-4. Seems a sensible bet for me as I'm essentially covering them winning the game in 90mins, extra time or penalties. I could see it being 1-0 after 90 mins. Then again my footy bets are usually crap so it'll probably be about 4-0 to Chelsea. :eek

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05 Surely a bet on a v.low number of yellows will be good value? Refs will have directive not to go crazy with the cards as it's the showpiece final & also many players already on a yellow, esp. Man Utd. Mike

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05 1-0 Liverpool thanks to Agger! I'd imagine 99% of all first scorer or scorecast bets went out the window! Sweet strike! Now game should be fun and more open now that Chelsea can't qualify as it is!

I've taken Liverpool to qualify at 9-4. Seems a sensible bet for me as I'm essentially covering them winning the game in 90mins' date=' extra time or penalties. [b']I could see it being 1-0 after 90 mins. Then again my footy bets are usually crap so it'll probably be about 4-0 to Chelsea. :eek
Didn't back that scoreline though did I? :wall Need Liverpool to qualify to be in the money. :hope

Re: Champions League Semi-Final 2nd legs Tues 01/05 - Weds 02/05 Excellent bet.. 1-0 final score and youve won! :nana I just bet on Liverpool win.:dude

Nice tips so I've taken bets on the 1-1 and the 1-0 with Riise first scorer. I think game is likely to follow form and be low scoring but can't see Liverpool losing. So 1-0 or 1-1 seems more likely than other scores.