Being in love (with poker) means never having to say you are sorry, but

runadrum

I can't not for this hand as it involves biting the hand that feeds me (and I don't mean Avon) ! It was a bad call - and I mean the second one although some might say the first too, although I have previously posted that I am partial on occasion to K suited. My only excuse was that I was going well in the Stan James freeroll at the same time and I needed to concentrate on one of them if I was going to get anywhere in either, so I was prepared to lose this hand ........ Hand #390923296 at table: Champs League-Rnd 5 Started: Thu Aug 10 21:23:15 2006 runadrum is at seat 1 with 2755.00 dexter is at seat 2 with 1025.00 -sean- is at seat 3 with 5825.00 diliger21 is at seat 4 with 5320.00 68allin is at seat 5 with 1493.00 6ooner is at seat 6 with 5252.00 Milou2 is at seat 7 with 3280.00 mike saban is at seat 8 with 1095.00 loopylou5 is at seat 9 with 2630.00 rtb147 is at seat 10 with 4452.00 diliger21 posts the large blind 300.00 -sean- posts the small blind 150.00 -sean-: --, -- diliger21: --, -- 68allin: --, -- 6ooner: --, -- Milou2: --, -- mike saban: --, -- loopylou5: --, -- rtb147: --, -- runadrum: 10c, Kc dexter: --, -- Pre-flop: 68allin: Fold 6ooner: Fold Milou2: Fold mike saban: Fold loopylou5: Fold rtb147: Raise 900.00 runadrum: Call 900.00 dexter: Fold -sean-: Fold diliger21: Fold Flop (Board: Ac, Qd, Ah): rtb147: All in runadrum: All in Showdown: runadrum shows: 10c, Kc (a pair of Aces) rtb147 shows: 4c, As (three of a kind, Aces) Turn (Board: Ac, Qd, Ah, Jh): River (Board: Ac, Qd, Ah, Jh, 9s): runadrum shows: 10c, Kc (ace high straight) Mainpot: runadrum wins the pot of 5960 with ace high straight :$ Paul, although unlikely 'cos these are my first points in the August CL, if my 13th place tonight contributes to me winning any money from the league table at the end of the month I will donate it to a charity of your choice. :ok

Re: Being in love (with poker) means never having to say you are sorry, but I don't give a flying fcuk about the money Runadrum - I was just stunned to see what I regard as the worst call (alongside Neville Southall) in history come from you or a player at PL. If you couldn't concentrate, then it begs the question, why are you playing in more than one tourny. It might sound harsh, but I'm not one to hold back in my views mate. ;) You're betting on a gutshot, despite my image as a bluffer, I raised preflop and there are 2 aces on the flop, any sane poker player would have put the hand down and in the long run, you will lose a lot of money or a lot of early exits calling that as you did. ;) If you had made the above call against any other PL'er, I think they would be very pissed off, but que sera sera, that's poker. ;)

Re: Being in love (with poker) means never having to say you are sorry, but

If you had made the above call against any other PL'er' date=' I think they would be very pissed off, but que sera sera, that's poker. ;)[/quote'] I'd have been delighted actually, regardless of the outcome. But can't really argue that it's a terrible call - you only have an 8.5% chance of hitting your gutshot and there's a reasonable chance even that won't be good.

Re: Being in love (with poker) means never having to say you are sorry, but :loon That is an insane call. I would be absolutely fuming if I was Paul but thats just me. Paul raised preflop so you have to assume he has an Ace or even the queen especially as he goes all in on the flop.

Re: Being in love (with poker) means never having to say you are sorry, but Saying that, someone in the small hours did something very similar in the WSoP, risking his tourney on exactly that and got it...

59. Michael Binger raises to $700' date='000 from under the gun and Allen Cunningham calls from the big blind. The flop comes Q[img']http://www.cardplayer.com/images/common/suits/heart.gifJspade.gif8club.gif and Cunningham checks. Binger moves all in for $2,250,000 and Cunningham makes the call. Binger turns over Aspade.gif10spade.gif but Cunningham shows Adiamond.gifQdiamond.gif for top pair. However, the turn is the Kspade.gif, giving Binger and ace high straight. The river is the Aheart.gif and Binger has doubled up.

:loon That is an insane call. I would be absolutely fuming if I was Paul but thats just me. Paul raised preflop so you have to assume he has an Ace or even the queen especially as he goes all in on the flop.
If you'd seen Paul play he's just as likely to have 72o as an ace or a queen. :)

Re: Being in love (with poker) means never having to say you are sorry, but i cant see what the problem is???? he calls a raise with k/10 and flop a/a/q.not the worst flop in the world for k/10 .i wouldnt be worried about the aces at all. far from the worst play ive ever seen. as for being against other pl players ....well that is close to soft play and is to be frowned upon imo. for me the gamble started calling with k/10. with that flop and 1/3 of stack invested its not the worst play in history to call the all in. as said above its all the differnt plays etc that make the game exciting.

Saying that, someone in the small hours did something very similar in the WSoP, risking his tourney on exactly that and got it... 59. Michael Binger raises to $700,000 from under the gun and Allen Cunningham calls from the big blind. The flop comes Qheart.gifJspade.gif8club.gif and Cunningham checks. Binger moves all in for $2,250,000 and Cunningham makes the call. Binger turns over Aspade.gif10spade.gif but Cunningham shows Adiamond.gifQdiamond.gif for top pair. However, the turn is the Kspade.gif, giving Binger and ace high straight. The river is the Aheart.gif and Binger has doubled up.
That's totally different. For one, he has twice as many straight outs with the double inside draw, so essentially like betting an open-ended, he also probably has a overcard with the info he has, which makes for three more outs, and the backdoor flush draw too - he's not very far behind. But the thing that makes that totally different is that he was betting, so he has two ways of winning the hand - calling with the draw as oppose to betting means you only have one way of winning. I assume that difference is what Paul's recognising in rephrasing to 'call and hit'.

i cant see what the problem is???? he calls a raise with k/10 and flop a/a/q.not the worst flop in the world for k/10 .i wouldnt be worried about the aces at all. far from the worst play ive ever seen. as for being against other pl players ....well that is close to soft play and is to be frowned upon imo. for me the gamble started calling with k/10. with that flop and 1/3 of stack invested its not the worst play in history to call the all in. as said above its all the differnt plays etc that make the game exciting.
If you can't see the problem, I fear for you Stevie, he's calling an all in with nothing but King high"hoping" for a gutshot. You completely misunderstand what I mean by against other PL players. I don't mean soft play, I mean if any other PL or any other player had that done to them, they would be very pissed off, I just used PL as a reference. Overall, if you think it's not a bad call, I think you seriously need to review a poker book or two. ;)

Re: Being in love (with poker) means never having to say you are sorry, but I thought all steve is doing is portraying (too well?) both sides or points of view. His first post clearly supports or explains Runadrum's play, and his second (which is being overlooked a bit) supports PR's, and by posting twice he's portraying how both would have felt (I imagine) quite well. It shows that we sometimes rationalise the bad plays that go our way, and lambast those that go against us.

Re: Being in love (with poker) means never having to say you are sorry, but Right, I think we have had enough of this now. This was an apology, not a 'Damo-esque' hand history posting for comments. The fact it was a bad call is not even in dispute. Can we put this thread into this http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31147 thread, have a decision on whether it is or not, and then go back to beating the real muppets. And I'm probably now going to get into big trouble for fighting a battle I've not been asked to. But I'm bored with this thread now anyway and I'm not going to read it again. I have spoken. :@

Re: Being in love (with poker) means never having to say you are sorry, but I'm not sure I understand this objection. The whole point of posting a hand history in a public forum is to invite criticism surely? I also don't get why anyone would mind that kind of criticism. It's hardly personal, it's strategic - and being on the receiving end of strategic criticism is both beneficial and desirable, in my book.

Right, I think we have had enough of this now. This was an apology, not a 'Damo-esque' hand history posting for comments. The fact it was a bad call is not even in dispute. Can we put this thread into this http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31147 thread, have a decision on whether it is or not, and then go back to beating the real muppets. And I'm probably now going to get into big trouble for fighting a battle I've not been asked to. But I'm bored with this thread now anyway and I'm not going to read it again. I have spoken. :@
With all due respect Avon, this forum is about opinions and I won't shut anyone up unless they are in the wrong. This thread was an apology, but it needn't have been written and certainly wasn't worthy of it's own thread. I don't bear grudges, I don't expect an apology for something like this and 20 minutes after it happened (as always with me) it was forgotten. ;) C'est la vie. ;)