** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Tennis : French Open (28th May - 11th June)

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis : French Open (28th May - 11th June) Adding 10pts Novak over Dimi @ 1.5 (Betfair) I was really impressed with his game last week and even though there was a collapse against Davy, I don't see a similar situation here. Dimi hasn't done anything on clay and I don't see why being at Roland Garros would be any different. He's gotta be waiting out for grass.

Re: Tennis : French Open (28th May - 11th June) Ok, in risk on irritating some, I'm adding a few others 10pts Molik over Serra @ 2.18 (betfair) - this is a hometown pick. While a little bias I think that Molik, coming back from injury has every chance to beat Serra, who has had little form to date. 10pts Goldstein over Arguel @ 2.84 (betfair) - I'll take a chance on the American who has had a solid year. I know the rule about betting on Americans here, but if the odds were better I'd bet on Blake too ;) 5pts Wang over Gasquet @ 6.8 (betfair) - I'll pay to see if his injury is good enough, Wang while crap on clay has some potential to cause issues. 10pts Rusedski over Cap @ 2.62 (betfair) - Ok, I've been sold by Mr. I and co. :D 10pts Kiefer over Melzer @ 1.6 - I can't ignore the h2h in this. Add to that the amount of surfaces the wins have came on (one on clay) Dunno if I'll play anymore or not, lots of value here considering that yesterday was pretty poor. 64 matches makes it hard to stay out of most.

Re: Tennis : French Open (28th May - 11th June) 1.01 could be going here.... Seppi has served two double faults while serving for the match 3-1 at 40-15 and is now a break down in final set :eek :eek :eek

Re: Tennis : French Open (28th May - 11th June) I was on him as well mate,managed to lay a bit off at 2-2 but have still taken a bit of a loss when it should have been a comfotable win :( Its unforgivable not to close out a match on your own serve with 2mps.

Re: Tennis : French Open (28th May - 11th June)

Shocking from Seppi (not the first time this season):(. But he was playing against a qualifier:ok
Nope, it's not. He's a head case and I've made almost as much money on him as I have Coria with Chela bringing up the rear. Ferrero is close, but doesn't give up when he does give away an easy game/set ;) I haven't looked to see who Koro is playin, but fading the monster comeback is a call I'll make blind. Novak is getting bombed by another Russian. Money lost:\ but at least he can get some rest and recoup for the rest of the clay season. Dimi won a game on clay :loon. Doubt it'll be two.

Re: Tennis : French Open (28th May - 11th June) Novak is getting bombed by another Russian. Money lost:\ but at least he can get some rest and recoup for the rest of the clay season. Dimi won a game on clay :loon. Doubt it'll be two. It's not that easy, mate - to keep any kinda decend renking (his 49th before the break is kept for him for some time now, but not forever), he needs to win two lower ranked ATP tourneys (the class of St Polten and the like) and get as far as the third round in two grand slams. He's just lost the first grand dslam chance. I was tempted to back him today as well, but thought the price was too short.

It's not that easy, mate - to keep any kinda decend renking (his 49th before the break is kept for him for some time now, but not forever), he needs to win two lower ranked ATP tourneys (the class of St Polten and the like) and get as far as the third round in two grand slams. He's just lost the first grand dslam chance. I was tempted to back him today as well, but thought the price was too short.
I think I was misunderstood, when I meant recoup, I meant from his injury. I wasn't even thinking about points in this one. Personally, I'm just glad he's playing. IMO, the game is better for it.

Re: Tennis : French Open (28th May - 11th June) I took Starace last night as well. He's just blown a 2 set lead. I can't believe that Tursunov result. Maybe he's a clay court genius who's been lulling everyone into a false sense of security by losing on purpose all season?

I took Starace last night as well. He's just blown a 2 set lead.
I'm trying not to think of it - need, need, need Starace to come through:hope
I can't believe that Tursunov result. Maybe he's a clay court genius who's been lulling everyone into a false sense of security by losing on purpose all season?
Have you seen who he's playing? The guy he knocked out of Wimbledon last year and the Australian Open this year - it's double revenge time:loon :loon

I think I was misunderstood' date=' when I meant recoup, I meant from his injury. I wasn't even thinking about points in this one. Personally, I'm just glad he's playing. IMO, the game is better for it.[/quote'] That's right he need some more time to recover after injury, but in his interview this morning he says he's OK and if he was to wait any longer, he would as well never start playing again - his target seems to be the Davis Cup.

Re: Tennis : French Open (28th May - 11th June) terrible conditions atm. I'd imagine the wind is playing havoc with his serve. Not that I'm bothered. I'm hoping Healey can nick this 3rd set to see if there's a bit of value on another Ancic comeback.

Im going to be having a fair sized bet on Andy Murray tomorrow. Not even favourite, looks a nice bet to me.
Are you going to put it on Sports Punter?:hope :hope :hope :D Shit day for me, now -5.6pts for the tournament. But Montanes isn't finihsed yet, play suspended due to bad light, current 2 sets to 1 and a break up. Two days of the month left now, need to be aggressive:tongue2

Re: Tennis : French Open (28th May - 11th June) Tried to back a couple of Mr I's selections last night, but the laptop died as I was messing about.. kind of glad it did now! ;) Had a small in-running bet on today's Nadal match.. Soderling, R v Nadal, R - 3rd Set Total Games Under 8.5 games @ 2.0 which came through no probs!

Tried to back a couple of Mr I's selections last night, but the laptop died as I was messing about.. kind of glad it did now! ;)
:lol :lol Well I had 2 winners and 2 losers today, another one very likely to be a winner tomorrow - so you must not be very good at picking them:ok

Re: Tennis : French Open (28th May - 11th June) Action from the main courts....

SportTennis
EventFrench Open
SelectionMONFILS v Murray
Strength10/10
Date30/05/2006
Bookmaker/PriceLadbrokes @ 1.72 (Back)
ReasoningI think this is a nice price on Monfils, and a bit of an overreaction to Murray beating him in Hamburg. Monfils had just come off a big week in Rome and clearly had a let down that day. He's now had a decent rest after that and playing at home on Chatrier I think he'll be tough to beat. Monfils has had a poor season but getting a couple of fortunate wins in Rome I think will be exactly what he needs and I think he will start showing his potential. Murray has been poor on the clay, and he game certainly doesn't seem too suited to it - even though he spend years training in Spain. His only wins on clay this season have been against Granollers and Monfils and I think he's got just one more match beforee he can get on the grass. Also there are always fitness concerns with Murray, especially over 5 sets, and with the defensive skills that Monfils has, I think he can make this a long afternoon for Murray.
SportTennis
EventFrench Open
SelectionSAFIN v Gonzalez
Strength10/10
Date30/05/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 2.25 (Back)
ReasoningI quite fancy Safin in this one, at a time when I'm sure he'll be out of favour. Yeah he had some horrible form in Rome and Hamburg, but that was a full two weeks ago, and with Safin that is a long time, so I'm taking him to be starting fresh here. He has a very solid record at the French, and since 2000 is 17-5 here and hasn't gone out before the 3rd round. In this match up, I think his strong all round game and penetration from the back can really hurt Gonzalez on the backhand; an are where his strange technique means he's often late to the shot anyway. I thought Gonzalez was in great form at the start of this clay court season, but recently he's had losses to Verdasco and Ljibicic, and I'm not sure he's playing that well or that confidently anymore - certainly in the final set against Ljubicic he went very passive and wasn't playing his normal game, not a good sign IMO. H2H is 2-0 to Safin but neither is really important. 50/50 match for me.
SportTennis
EventFrench Open
SelectionMARTIN v Roddick
Strength10/10
Date30/05/2006
Bookmaker/PriceCoral @ 2.10 (Back)
ReasoningSomeone please explain to me why Roddick is favourite here because I just don't get it. His only appearances on proper clay have been in Rome where Hanescu picked up his cheque, Baghdatis picked up an injury and Rusedski couldn't pick his serve, before Roddick himself injured his shoulder against Monfils. Then he played in the World Team Cup last week where he injured his ankle against Massu. He still wants to play really defensivly and far back behind the baseline and it just doesn't work. He also has an awful record at the French; since 2002 he's won two match, against Todd Martin (really old) and Tsonga (really young). He's had losses against Arthurs, Sargsian, Mutis and Acasuso which gives him an awful record and I really don't see him winning this. Martin is a solid clay courter and I think he's playing well, he's just had a few bad draws and came out the wrong side of some tight matches. He certainly has the game to do well against Roddick on clay, and I really fancy him to take it. H2H is actually 4-0 to Roddick, with 2 on grass, 1 on hard and surprisingly 1 on clay, but that was back in 2003 when Roddick believed he could play on clay. See you at Queens, Andy.
SportTennis
EventFrench Open
SelectionROCHUS 3-0 v Faurel
Strength10/10
Date30/05/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 2.00 (Back)
ReasoningI'm happy to take the even money here, especially when places like Coral go 1.53. Rochus should really have no problems here, against the 25 year old Frenchman in his first time in the main draw. Rochus showed some great form in Munich taking the title and since then I don't think he's played badly just had a couple of tight losses against Baghdatis and Ferrero. I think he'll come into this nicely rested and has a good opponent to get going against. Faurel is just a poor player, more suited to indoor courts, and his record of 21-19 on clay is bad considering that's all in challengers and the odd qualifying tournament. Rochus will give him a lot of problems here, and I can't see him dropping a set. He's the type of player whose level never drops too far, and he will never give a set away, and I think he's at least 60% to win this 3-0.
SportTennis
EventFrench Open
SelectionLJUBICIC 3-0 v Berlocq
Strength10/10
Date30/05/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 1.90 (Back)
ReasoningIf Ljubicic is up for this, there is virtually 0% chance of him even dropping a set. I mean that, and I know my probabilities. I have to take the 1.9 on him being focused here, even after taking the World Team Cup on Saturday. I was very impressed with him in the final, and throughout the week his performances got better and better. His game can be a little shaky on clay, but he maximises what he does well, and can get around his slightly suspect movement against most opponents. Berlocq is having an awful year, and I'm surprised he's still in the top 100 (82). He had a run of 6 consecutive first round losses earlier in the year, and the only positive is a semi final run in a challenger in Zagreb a couple of weeks ago and even then he lost to Victor Crivoi (ranked 253). This is only his second appearance in a Grand Slam event - after Australia this year when he lost in 4 to Phau. I can see him being totally overwhelmed by Ljubicics game, and I can't see him breaking Ljubicic at all, and this has a great chance to be 3-0.
A few more to come from the outside courts;)