** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Golf - The Masters

Right, starts on Thursday, who are you all tipping to win the green blazer then? I havn't finalised any bets (by a long shot), but I am tempted by Mickelson at a stand out 9/1 (BlueSq). I also fancy Luke Donald at 33/1 (BlueSq), surely some decent E/W value in him? Its always a fantastic tournament to watch. I enjoy it every year. In fact, he Masters is the very first sporting event I ever bet on... I remember back Jose Maria Olazabel E/W a good 7 or 8 years back, and I think he endd up Tied 7th or something...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf - The Masters

Olly looks in good form and he will probably be one of my picks here too Alex.
I'm fully planning on backing Olly too. I was going to back Mickelson but repeat winners are rare in golf so I may not bother now. Assuming he holds on this week of course!

Re: Golf - The Masters Right, backed Tiger last week and was thinking he's nailed on to win, but now I've actually gone completely the other way. I think the problems with his dad may come into it, but I'm gonna leave my tiger bet at 3/1. Not seen mostof the other odds yet, but will probably be backing Mickelson & Olly top 10 - nothing special there :lol Gonna have a look later at other potential bets. :tongue2

Re: Golf - The Masters Still can't get my head round the fact how short the Tiger is with all the problems with his fathers health. It must affect his game and as good as he is if he wins this then it'll rank up there with the best performances of his career. Just looked at the odds and theres some huge prices down the field.

Still can't get my head round the fact how short the Tiger is with all the problems with his fathers health. It must affect his game and as good as he is if he wins this then it'll rank up there with the best performances of his career. Just looked at the odds and theres some huge prices down the field.
I've regularly heard him say that the best thing for his dad is for him to see his son on top of a leaderboard and if his dad is as ill as it sounds this could be the last major he sees Tiger in so I would expect Tiger to be all out for victory in this. The changes they've made at Augusta in recent years play right into Tiger's hands and he's definitely the man to beat.

Re: Golf - The Masters Olazabel to win 40/1 vchan I'll be going for Jose Maria Olazabal who is a Augusta specalist with 2 wins and 7 other top 12 finishes, most achieved when he hasn't been playing that well! He seems to have found an answer to his driving problems. He was hitting the ball straight and long when he finished 7 at the Players Championship and his 2nd in BellSouth classic. With his deadly short game 40/1 with VChandler is worth an e/w bet!

Re: Golf - The Masters My money is on Mickelson. As stated I believe Tiger may be distracted and hopefully Mickelson can keep his weekend form going. Interestingly he has stated that he will carry two drivers in the bag and ditch his sand wedge. Phil reckons Masters is so long now he doesn't see its use. He'll use one of his lob weges for bunkers:ok http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/4870938.stm

Re: Golf - The Masters I've only just recovered from the trauma of last years Masters!! I backed Bjorn @ 125/1 & Di Marco @ 100/1 and thought that I had made a fortune only to see Bjorn fall apart and Di Marco beaten in a play off by the Tiger:@ :wall It is difficult to go against Mickelson following last weeks performance, but best price is now only 13/2 :sad As usual I will have a flutter on Adam Scott (40/1) and K.J Choi seems a big price @ 100/1 I also like the looks of Goosen to finish in the top 10 @ 5/6 with Stan James

Re: Golf - The Masters Ok guys here we go again, my first thoughts are Tiger is no value at all and would have layed him on SP if i could (price too high to be accepted). Some massive prices about but with so many to choose from i prefer to narrow it down a bit and done my fancies in the side markets plus a couple of specials i reckon are decent value at this stage. Top USA Player Jim Furyk- 16/1 E/W @ Bsq Furyk is one of the most consistant players around just now and with good course form and recent form he's too high at 16's. 4 places so even if Tiger and Lefty do perform we can still be on a winner. Justin Leonard- 80/1 E/W @ Expekt Only 100/1 with some firms to win the thing so good value straight away, played well here many times before and has shown glimpes of his old ability, worth a small bet at this price. Top Aussie/NZ Player S.Appleby - 8/1 E/W @ Stan James Appleby struggled at one time round here but played well the last twice so nothing to suggest he wont again. Adam Scott is fav again but hasnt been consistant enough this season for me. Only 10 Aussie/NZ in the field so first 3 places not too much to ask. TOP ROW Player KJ Choi - 16/1 E/W @ Paddys This excludes the Aussie/NZ guys at Paddy's, he's only 16's with them at some firms so were off to a flyer there. He has played well here a few times and has decent recent form. With Vijay and Els under par just now this might be a good bet. Top Irish Player P.McGinlay - 4/1 @ Paddy's Of all the value bets this week you'll find it hard to match this one, win or lose! Only 4 irish players at the masters and one is an amateur. Clarke and Harrington are joint favs. Clarke is hit and miss at the moment and other things on his mind, Harrington was still trying new clubs out last week so cant be backed just yet surely. McGinlay has been staying local with his team of Guru's in preparation and has good course form. 4/1 is a mistake here should be 5/2 at most in my eyes. Special Bets NO Hole in one 1.61 @Pinnacle I know there was one last year and some in 2004 but at least one of the par 3's has been changed so they can place a difficult pin position this year and the weather f'cast is dodgy for the weekend so that will make things tough. Faster greens this year coz of the drier conditions in the US also compared to last year will make it harder to control the iron shots. Winning Score OVER 279.5 1.80 @ Pinnacle Although 12 under won it last year we have several reasons to think it will be a lot more difficult this time. Several holes have been lengthened, the Augusta guys heve tried to make it tougher all round with new pin positions and new trees, the rough will be severe, the weather has been drier this year so the greens will be hard to find and then hold on to. I fancy 6 under myself and this bet gives me a couple of shots leeway. Good luck guys, wouldnt surprise me to see pricewise tip up Woods and Mickelson and maybe Donald.

Special Bets NO Hole in one 1.61 @Pinnacle I know there was one last year and some in 2004 but at least one of the par 3's has been changed so they can place a difficult pin position this year and the weather f'cast is dodgy for the weekend so that will make things tough. Faster greens this year coz of the drier conditions in the US also compared to last year will make it harder to control the iron shots.
Particularly like the look of this bet , is it right what i heard the other day that theyve actually lengthened the Holes ? Bit new to this Golf Betting but if the above statement is true , I shall be looking for someone with a very good long game. Anyone got a shortlist of very good long players i could have a closer look at ?

Re: Golf - The Masters Kopt, This is from the PGA Tour site regarding the changes;

Augusta National underwent several changes following the 2005 Masters Tournament, with six holes -- Nos. 1, 4, 7, 11, 15 and 17 -- receiving updates. The Masters tees of the aforementioned six holes were moved back anywhere from 10 to 40 yards, increasing the legendary course's yardage from 7,290 yards to 7,445. In addition to the lengthening process, trees were added to the fairways on Nos. 1, 7 and 11; the fairways of Nos. 11 and 15 were shifted to the left; and the No. 7 green was re-grassed, creating the opportunity for groundskeepers to set up a possible right-rear pin position.
Hole 4 is a par 3 and hole 15 is a par 5 all the others are par 4's. The thing with Augusta though is accuracy, its no good whacking it 350yds if you end up in the trees, water, rough etc... so course management is imperative, here are some stats for this season to date, coupled with a look at their past Augusta records will give you some sort of chance. Best of luck! We all need it. Longest Drivers Most Accurate Drivers Total Driving rankings

Kopt, This is from the PGA Tour site regarding the changes; Hole 4 is a par 3 and hole 15 is a par 5 all the others are par 4's. The thing with Augusta though is accuracy, its no good whacking it 350yds if you end up in the trees, water, rough etc... so course management is imperative, here are some stats for this season to date, coupled with a look at their past Augusta records will give you some sort of chance. Best of luck! We all need it. Longest Drivers Most Accurate Drivers Total Driving rankings
You are right mate but in Tiger's case it doesn't really count because he's such an amazing scrambler when he does hit the rough. He's been pretty formidable here in the past and the extra length plays even more into his hands. No value but very much the likely winner.

Re: Golf - The Masters Kev, im not doubting Tiger for one minute, all the lengthening in the world wouldnt stop Tiger Woods from winning, in fact it would probrably just weaken the opposition even more. I just think of all the things that can go wrong around here, coupled with his fathers health that 7/2 is a terrible value bet, the first round will be most important to Tigers chances i feel.

Re: Golf - The Masters I see what you are saying mate and I agree 100% with you but I do feel it's needs to be pointed out that Woods is the likeliest winner. That said I've never backed Woods in an event before because of his awful value so I will be trying to get some each way value against him and hope that Woods has a poor opening round like last year when he was 7 shots adrift of Di Marco and then he'll be a more backable proposition.

Re: Golf - The Masters Sorry if this annoys anyone. I am just posting up my first bet for The masters, I placed it the best part of a week ago, before the massive gamble started on Lefty. I don't deem this as after-eventing, as he hasn't won the thing yet! Bet 1) Phil Mickelson to win @ 9/1 4pts E/W (Blue Sq)

Re: Golf - The Masters well guys the second most important golf tournament of the season is about to get underway having read previous posts in this forum i totally agree with them all regarding the logistics tigers dad,ollys previous form etc ive had a look at 365s markets very impressive stenson is100/30 to be top debutant so the extension to the lenghth of the course should not affect his play i think a lot of the main actors will struggle with the new lay out my final selection will be decided after my guiness induced night out tommorrow :beer

Re: Golf - The Masters Skybet are offering a free golf bet too. Bet £5 on the masters - I assume it can be a matchbet or outright, when placing the bet type in the promotion code "golf" then you have a free £5 on any golf event.. I have had a really busy few days (should have researched earlier I know) so will be a bit of a rush job for me tomorrow finding bets and with the best prices gone too!

Re: Golf - The Masters I am a big golf fan, but only bet on the majors. My picks are from StanJames both at 7/2. Mike Weir top 10 finish (2 pts) Davis Love top 10 finish (2 pts) Who knows, if they win I might have a punt more often!