World footballer of the year

Laddies odds: Ronaldinho 4/5 Shevchenko 8/1 Ronaldo 10/1 Adriano 12/1 Henry 12/1 Maldini 12/1 Eto'o 14/1 Lampard 16/1 Rooney 16/1 Riquelme 20/1 Robinho 20/1 Zidane 20/1 Ballack 25/1 Gerrard 25/1 Ibrahimovic 25/1 Nesta 25/1 Robben 25/1 van Nistelrooy 25/1 Beckham 33/1 Drogba 33/1 Essien 33/1 Kaka 33/1 Raul 33/1 Roberto Carlos 33/1 Cristiano Ronaldo 40/1 Nedved 40/1 Cafu 50/1 Deco 50/1 Buffon 66/1 Okocha 100/1 Adriano or Gerrard for me. What do we think?:nana

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World footballer of the year

Odds from Ladbrokes: Ronaldinho 1.80
Andriy Shevchenko9.00
Ronaldo11.00
Adriano13.00
Frank Lampard13.00
Paolo Maldini13.00
Samuel Eto'o15.00
Thierry Henry17.00
Wayne Rooney17.00
Juan Roman Riquelme21.00
Robinho21.00
Alessandro Nesta26.00
Arjen Robben26.00
Michael Ballack26.00
Ruud van Nistelrooy26.00
Zinedine Zidane26.00
Zlatan Ibrahimovic26.00
David Beckham34.00
Didier Drogba34.00
Kaka34.00
Michael Essien34.00
Raul34.00
Roberto Carlos34.00
Steven Gerrard34.00
Cristiano Ronaldo41.00
Pavel Nedved41.00
Cafu51.00
Deco51.00
Gianluigi Buffon67.00
Jay-Jay Okocha101.00
I can´t see past Ronaldinho for this one, if he was able to win it last year then surley he has to win it again this year. The national team coaches and captains are the ones that vote, here are the votes for last year, http://www.fifa.com/documents/fifa/events/men_votes_per_association.pdf There are some strange votes, like the Bolivian coach going for Michel Owen as player of the year and the Korean for Raul, but maybe they saw something I didn´t. But this is not the eurovision and I belive Ronaldinho will get enough votes to win comfortably, last year was his breakthrough year and now he truly is a household name. Ronaldinho has been at least as good as last year, and this time he has no competition from Henry. Most importantly, Ronaldinho has begun scoring goals and is currently the leadning CL scorer with four goals. Schevchenko has not been outstanding and he did not perform in the CL-final (Ok Dudek made a brillinat save), and he was only the sixth highest scorer in Seria A, partly due to injuries. Ronaldo is Ronaldo, but he is past his best and everyone knows it, and I don´t think he´ll get more than sporadic votes. Adriano has not done enough to be reckoned with. Paolo Maldini is a living legend and I am sure he´ll get some "respect" votes, but he won´t win it. I like Etoo, but he does not score as many as he ought too, and he simply is not as good as Ronaldinho and Deco wishes he had the uncanny skill of his fellow Brazilian. Soo that leaves us with Lampard, who I rate highly as one of the major cogs in Mourinhos machine but this award goes too the flair players, Zidande, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Figo etc and when it comes to flair, Ronaldinho has no match in the world right now. Also this has not been year with any major international competition which could upset the balance, like next year when Rooney has wun England the World Cup by scoring a hattrick against Brazil in the final. :ok

Re: World footballer of the year Ronaldo was crowned in 1996 and 1997. Here´s the winners (and runners up) list since it´s beginning:

I can honestly say that Gerrard won´t win it, he simply is not up to the standards of the people on this list. He´s a good player, but how many coaches and captains are going to think "Gerrard, he´s the best footballer in the world!" and vote for him? Not even Sven and Beckham will put him down for the number one spot, number three maybe. Adriano scores goals, but you need to be the number one goalscorer in you league to get this one if your getting it for your goals, and Adriano is not Ronaldo yet. If anyone can make a good case against Ronaldinho, please do, because I can´t (Makelele is not on the list).

Re: World footballer of the year Can't make a case against, just unsure a little bit as Ronaldo has been the only one who won in consecutive years and he was considered a wonderkid at that time. Also the fact Henry has been the runner-up twice means either he will never get it or...;) We'll see. The thing R. won it last year will work against him - it's a case of voting and those people are not eager to vote the same names year in, year out. Food for thought;)

• 4 weeks later...

Re: World footballer of the year

Can't make a case against' date=' just unsure a little bit as Ronaldo has been the only one who won in consecutive years and he was considered a wonderkid at that time. Also the fact Henry has been the runner-up twice means either he will never get it or...;) We'll see. The thing R. won it last year will work against him - it's a case of voting and those people are not eager to vote the same names year in, year out. Food for thought;)[/quote'] I agree. Some times with these awards you see players win it when they probably should have got it a season or 2 ago and not based on their current form. Like you say Tulenos, voters may be reluctant to give the award to the same person twice in a row. After all they are humans voting and not machines. Having said that Ronaldinho deserves to win the award for a second straight year as no one else seems to come even close. ;)

• 11 months later...

Re: World footballer of the year Odds for this year's award from Ladbrokes: Fabio Cannavaro 9/4 Ronaldinho 3/1 Thierry Henry 9/2 Andrea Pirlo 10/1 Zinedine Zidane 10/1 Miroslav Klose 16/1 Andrei Shevchenko 33/1 Jens Lehmann 66/1 I don't see any odds at Blue SQ right now. Bettingzone Market Moves for 2006's award: 1000: Ronaldinho is the 9/2 second favourite to become the first player to win the FIFA World Player of the Year. The only person ahead of him in Blue Square's betting is Italy's World Cup winning captain Fabio Cannavaro at 15/8. The online firm's Richard Bloch said: "The FIFA World Player of the Year is always a hotly contested event. The World Cup normally dictates who walks away with this coveted title and as such it looks unlikely that Ronaldinho will make history and walk away with a third title. "Cannavaro was unlucky not to walk away with the Golden Ball at the World Cup but he may be luckier this time around and 15/8 looks good value."

Re: World footballer of the year Totally agree Cannavora has this in his bag - should be evens. Had a bit on him earlier at 2/1 at Coral.

Odds for this year's award from Ladbrokes: Fabio Cannavaro 9/4 Ronaldinho 3/1 Thierry Henry 9/2 Andrea Pirlo 10/1 Zinedine Zidane 10/1 Miroslav Klose 16/1 Andrei Shevchenko 33/1 Jens Lehmann 66/1 I don't see any odds at Blue SQ right now. Bettingzone Market Moves for 2006's award: 1000: Ronaldinho is the 9/2 second favourite to become the first player to win the FIFA World Player of the Year. The only person ahead of him in Blue Square's betting is Italy's World Cup winning captain Fabio Cannavaro at 15/8. The online firm's Richard Bloch said: "The FIFA World Player of the Year is always a hotly contested event. The World Cup normally dictates who walks away with this coveted title and as such it looks unlikely that Ronaldinho will make history and walk away with a third title. "Cannavaro was unlucky not to walk away with the Golden Ball at the World Cup but he may be luckier this time around and 15/8 looks good value."

Re: World footballer of the year When I clicked on this thread I expected to see Cannavaro at about 1/4! I thought it was generally accepted that he was nailed on for this? If these odds are still available I might have a small interest in this

Ronaldinho's poor world cup will/should cost him this title. Agree Cannavaro looks a cracking shout. Can't see ZZ winning after his bow in the World Cup final!
I'm agree for Ronaldinho and for Zidane after his bow too, but he still have a little chance. The winner could be for me Henry, he did the two final this year or Pirlo.

Re: World footballer of the year I cant get my head round this - Cannavaro is still as long as 15/8 with bluesq?? What am I missing? Other options - Henry: Runner up in 2003 and 2004. Theoreticaly should have a better chance this year as his performances in the Bernabeu and Turin would have caught the judges eyes in Arsenals CL campaign last year. 3 goals in the World Cup and France reached the final. I feel sorry for the poor sod but he may have to settle for a hatrick of 2nd places. Ronaldinho - Hasnt done much this year -I dont even remember seeing him at the world cup and that could cost him. Barcelone winning the CL will obviously help though. Zidane - No chance after his escapades in the WC Final Lehmann - As Zidane except use CL Final Pirlo - Wasnt as good as Cannavaro It has to be Cannavaro doesnt it? The only other possible winner in my eyes is Henry but has he really done enough to overturn the World Cup winning captain and arguably the outstanding player of the tournament? If Arsenal had won the CL then maybe but Jens put paid to that and also his chances of winning this prize too. I'll be disappointed if Ronaldinho gets it again. So, what am I missing? or should I stop asking questions and lump on before the price goes? :unsure

Re: World footballer of the year Im on at 7/4 at Coral although 15/8 is available with bluesq if anyone wants that. Bluesq had my old card details and I couldnt be arsed to phone them up to change, so I took the Coral price instead. I'm a lazy git arent I.

Re: World footballer of the year FIFA annouces the top 30 players first, these players form the shortlist for the national team captains and managers to vote for. It is possible that the votes have been cast already, as we are so close to december. Here is how they voted 2004 by association: http://www.fifa.com/documents/fifa/events/men_votes_per_association.pdf And 2005: http://www.fifa.com/documents/fifa/events/FWPG05_01_votes_captains_men_final.xls http://www.fifa.com/documents/fifa/events/FWPG05_01_votes_captains_men_final.xls For instance, Svennis top three 2004 Henry, Deco, Nedved and 2005 Ronaldinho, Adriano, Zlatan. I guess it depends on what the coaches and captains have seen (as most associations have never had any real contact with the top players, Eritrea and such.) and rate. Cannavaro´s WC winning side were foremost a TEAM and not a one man show, but he was impressive. I must addmit I always rated Nesta higher than Cannavaro and if Nesta had been fit which of the two do you think would have gotten the accolades? Now it was Cannavaro who personified the Italian defence, because he played with relative unknows. A defender has never won the award, but because the field is so weak this time Cannavaro will probably nick it, but I think Henry will come close or just win it . My top three: Henry, Cannavaro, Ronaldinho. If Etoo had been in the WC and performed resonably then he´d be my pick.

Re: World footballer of the year I just looked at that list and Okocha got one vote from the captain of Guinea. Surely he didn't make any shortlist. This leads me to believe that the voting was done before and they published the top 30. As for Cannavaro. Most Italians would rate Cannavaro over Nesta. He's their captain, their leader, their organisor and Mr.Consistancy. Nesta is the better footballer but certainly can't read a game as well as Cannavaro. Cannavaro had 3 different partners at the WC and kept clean sheets with them all. He dominated games. I had him backed after the Australia game for the player of the tournament and I was really annoyed that he didn't win it. His performance against Germany was one of the best individual performances I've ever seen from a defender. I had a big bet on Italy at the WC so seen every minute of Cannavaro. Best defender in the world without a doubt. :)

Re: World footballer of the year It's a bit of a rum ding-dong-do this. For some reason, the exact voting procedures are either secretive or not in general public domain BUT I do think you're right eirebhoy that the winner has already been decided by the votes cast and that there isn't a revote to sort out the 3 from 30 below afaik (even last year's vote totals note down from 1-30 but I don't think there's a revote to sort that out). They'll cut down the 30 players below to just three in late November/early December (they say they'll announce the three contenders on December 1st. I dunno.). Adriano (Brazil), Michael Ballack (Germany), Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Fabio Cannavaro (Italy), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Petr Cech (Czech Republic), Deco (Portugal), Didier Drogba (Côte d’Ivoire), Michael Essien (Ghana), Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon), Luis Figo (Portugal), Gennaro Gattuso (Italy), Steven Gerrard (England), Thierry Henry (France), Kaka (Brazil), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Frank Lampard (England), Jens Lehmann (Germany), Alessandro Nesta (Italy), Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Franck Ribery (France), Juan Roman Riquelme (Argentina), Ronaldinho (Brazil), Wayne Rooney (England), Tomas Rosicky (Czech Republic), Andriy Shevchenko (Ukraine), Lilian Thuram (France), Patrick Vieira (France), Zinedine Zidane (France). http://www.fifa.com/en/media/index/0,1369,123555,00.html http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/awards/index/0,2419,123560,00.html?articleid=123560 I think it'll be a mixture of the obvious and the downright stupid with the final three being Cannavaro, Ronaldinho (I think they'll be some national coaches who'll still be mesmerised despite recent hiccups and disappointments that a Primera Liga and Champions League win double will 'justify' his nomination) and Zidane (retired now and up until the infamous incident was having a fabulous time to cap off his career). I'd suggest Buffon (I'm surprised he's not on Ladbrokes' shortlist but Lehmann is), Eto'o (helped orchestrate a Champions League Final comeback and was Primera Liga top goalscorer. Surprised he isn't being considered in Ladbrokes' shortlist either), Henry (much admired for his goalscoring prowess in the Premier League) and Pirlo (was the third named outstanding World Cup player of the tournament behind Cannavaro and Zidane) as next in line. Last year's vote totals

Re: World footballer of the year lol. shevchenko has nothing to do in that list he didnt do a S all year long. its all crap but anyway,i owuld like to see c.ronaldo get something. i disagree zidane is out of question beacuse of what he did in final, he can still get it this his last year,but i doubt it'll be first place. my secret tip is definately drogba. but totaal crap this is there is hundreds more players as good as those clowns above.

Wednesday 20 December 2006
Cannavaro, F:bg_a(0,77966501,11,8,1)'>2.37:bg_a(0,97618385,5,4,0)'>2.25
Henry, T:bg_a(0,57433483,9,2,1)'>5.5:bg_a(0,97618387,9,2,0)'>5.5
Ronaldinho:bg_a(0,57433481,9,2,1)'>5.5:bg_a(0,97618386,3,1,0)'>4
Pirlo, A:bg_a(0,77966500,7,1,1)'>8:bg_a(0,97618389,10,1,0)'>11
Zidane, Z:bg_a(0,57433502,10,1,1)'>11:bg_a(0,97618388,10,1,0)'>11
Kaka, R:bg_a(0,57433489,16,1,1)'>17-
Klose, M:bg_a(0,77966497,16,1,1)'>17:bg_a(0,97618390,16,1,0)'>17
Gattuso, G:bg_a(0,77966491,25,1,1)'>26-
Buffon, G:bg_a(0,95736858,33,1,1)'>34-
Drogba, D:bg_a(0,57433504,33,1,1)'>34-
Eto'o, S:bg_a(0,57433487,33,1,1)'>34-
Ronaldo, Cristiano:bg_a(0,77966489,33,1,1)'>34-
Deco:bg_a(0,97136612,40,1,1)'>41-
Ballack, M:bg_a(0,57433491,50,1,1)'>51-
Gerrard, S:bg_a(0,57433507,50,1,1)'>51-
Nesta, A:bg_a(0,97136616,50,1,1)'>51-
Ribery, F:bg_a(0,77966488,50,1,1)'>51-
Riquelme, J:bg_a(0,57433493,50,1,1)'>51-
Rooney, W:bg_a(0,57433482,50,1,1)'>51-
Shevchenko, A:bg_a(0,57433488,50,1,1)'>51:bg_a(0,97618391,33,1,0)'>34
Thuram, L:bg_a(0,97136618,50,1,1)'>51-
Vieira, P:bg_a(0,57433497,50,1,1)'>51-
Lahm, P:bg_a(0,97136614,66,1,1)'>67-
Rosicky, T:bg_a(0,97136617,66,1,1)'>67-
Cech, P:bg_a(0,97136619,80,1,1)'>81-
Essien, M:bg_a(0,57433501,80,1,1)'>81-
Lehmann, J:bg_a(0,97136620,80,1,1)'>81:bg_a(0,97618392,66,1,0)'>67
Adriano, L:bg_a(0,57433484,100,1,1)'>101-
Lampard, F:bg_a(0,57433485,100,1,1)'>101-
Figo, L:bg_a(0,77966502,125,1,1)'>126-
Ive just read the last 2 or 3 posts on this and said Cannavaro, then I went to the first post and basically it just backed up what I thought, Corals are gonna get a visit from me inthe morning thats for sure.
Click on the odds to place a bet!
All odds checked since 16:46 BST