The Open Championship 2024

image.png

Hot on the heels of the Euros we have the Open. I'll be taking a light touch in terms of bets (maybe utilise a couple of freebies for a bit of interest). Hopefully those of you who bet on the golf regularly will be able to point me in the direction of a decent bet or two. Over to you lot!

Already had a small double on Scheffler and Spain, so at least that helps with his skinny odds, but he must be going to go close on his form, so didn't want to go against him completely. 

Think the other 2 I'll go for will be DeChambeau and I have a small feeling for Fleetwood, did well in the end in Scottish.

Kinda stayed away from e/w bets, but might look at one of the Scottish or English boys, but will see.

One I like for the outright win:

Xander Schauffele 15/1 Bet365 (price includes 25% boost)

And two I like for the alternative markets are:

Kazuma Kobori 5/1 (Top 40 finish including ties)

Top Amateur:

Santiago De La Fuente 8/1 each way 1/5 odds Top three places.

As anyone who has followed my posts on the Majors threads will know, I love to see how the Amateurs get on alongside the pro's. Unlike the US Open there is no obvious value pick and selection in this one. Gordon Sargent is the right but definitely vulnerable favourite. And none of the others in this 12 runner field have shown much form when mixing it with the pro's either. Ultimately though I feel De La Fuente has very similar form to the favourite Sargent so with De La Fuente being double Sargent's price is my selection of the Amateur contest which I will be following with a keen eye.

Best of luck and may your golfers swing easy and swing well.

22 hours ago, MinellaWorksop said:

Xander Schauffele 15/1 Bet365 (price includes 25% boost)

Taken him at 11s to earn a matched freebie which I've put on Min Woo Lee e/w at 45/1 to 10 places.

Bet Vic hogging the black type on Odds Checker but that's because they're only going a stingy 5 places.

Each-way (10 places)

Xander Schauffele @ 15/1 (8 places. Boosted from 12/1 w/ Bet365)
Aaron Rai @ 55/1
Akshay Bhatia @ 90/1
Si Woo Kim @ 90/1
Russell Henley @ 110/1 (boosted from 100/1 w/ Ladbrokes)
Corey Conners @ 66/1
Brian Harman @ 60/1

Top 20

Tom Hoge @ 11/2
Russell Henley @ 4/1

Top 30

Lucas Glover @ 7/2

I've done well with these bets down the years, but never posted before, so here goes. My Magnificent Seven TO make The Cut...

X.SCHAUFFELE, T.FLEETWOOD, A.SCOTT, C.CONNERS, C.YOUNG, A.RAI & T.KIM all TO MAKE THE CUT.. PAYS 13/2 with BET365.  

• Oh yeah, no competition this year Faydar ?. I won it last year :)

Jeez, Dechamb has certainly not has a good start.

Early days still, but a bit of catching up and with the weather might be difficult.

Tbh should have remembered the course as it is a tad bunkerville-esque, bloody place has more bunkers than The Somme.

Probably is a course less sympathetic to those big hitters.

Early days though.

17 hours ago, BOOKIEBASHER 13 said:

I've done well with these bets down the years, but never posted before, so here goes. My Magnificent Seven TO make The Cut...

X.SCHAUFFELE, T.FLEETWOOD, A.SCOTT, C.CONNERS, C.YOUNG, A.RAI & T.KIM all TO MAKE THE CUT.. PAYS 13/2 with BET365.  

• Oh yeah, no competition this year Faydar ?. I won it last year :)

The competitions are hopefully due for an overhaul this coming season (Football season) but hopefully, we can bang out all 4 golf majors comps in 2025

On 7/17/2024 at 2:44 PM, harry_rag said:

Taken Scauffele at 11s to earn a matched freebie which I've put on Min Woo Lee e/w at 45/1 to 10 places.

Bet Vic hogging the black type on Odds Checker but that's because they're only going a stingy 5 places.

Henley 28s and Thomas 14s added to my “stable” in play, one earning a matched freebie used on the other. 

9 hours ago, fd1972uk said:

Lowry only guy in the race now, lol.

Fingers crossed it can be two weeks in a row of winners for you mate.

None of my selections working any magic this time around. Kobori missed the cut by one shot to rule him out of Top40 contention. And three amateurs made the cut (Calum Scott, Masaveu and Tommy Morrison) so they will fight that market out between them with my selection De La Fuente way off the pace and out of contention missing the cut also.

11 hours ago, fd1972uk said:

Arse fell out of Lowry today, so he's most probably out of it.

Took a free bet on horschel and schaufelle , but not Brown, lol.

That's what happens when yountry to be clever, lol

I did not expect that from Lowry yesterday. Conditions were not in favour of the last four groups or so but I thought he would end up around the 3 or 4 under area.

That said, there's still plenty to play for and I can see anyone within 4 shots of the leader having a chance of victory today. Will make exciting viewing for sure.

On 7/17/2024 at 4:21 PM, philipwalsh19 said:

Each-way (10 places)

Xander Schauffele @ 15/1 (8 places. Boosted from 12/1 w/ Bet365)
Aaron Rai @ 55/1
Akshay Bhatia @ 90/1
Si Woo Kim @ 90/1
Russell Henley @ 110/1 (boosted from 100/1 w/ Ladbrokes)
Corey Conners @ 66/1
Brian Harman @ 60/1

Top 20

Tom Hoge @ 11/2
Russell Henley @ 4/1

Top 30

Lucas Glover @ 7/2

Xander win, Henley place and Henley top 20 all came in.

Based on my staking plan (1pt e/w and 3pts per Top X bet) that's a tidy 152% profit (35pts profit on an outlay of 23pts)