Racing Chat-Thursday 9th March.

Southwell 1.15

Primo comet.

Win

Races off near career low mark and has assistance of five pound claim off near bottom weight from stall four.

(Read after the race. This runner IF put into the race will go very close.)

First visit to Southwell and seeks first win on all weather in precisely four years 28/2/19 the last time at Newcastle. Three wins at Mussleburgh in class fours and fives. 

Mulrenhan returns on another runner, while Goldie sends just this runner here despite Newcastle meeting later .

When last seen at Newcastle, this runner was given an awful lot to do by Paul Mulrenhan as was stablemate kraken Power. They both flanked the field on either side and ran In two waves with primo comet out the back running in behind the field. Found traffic at every angle and while kraken Power was just denied, both horses looked as if they could easily have won.

To given some perspective to what I am saying here  is the comment freely offered to stewards by Paul Mulrenhan afterwards,

Raced freely, towards rear, going okay but waiting for room 1f out, switched left and in the clear final 110yds, kept on towards finish, never near to challenge (jockey said his instructions were to settle gelding and obtain cover then ride his race from there; he added that he had found himself further back in the field than he had intended, after suffering interference shortly after start; he added that the pace was slow, and he thought field would race down centre of the track but instead runners drifted towards the outside stand rail; he added that when asking for an effort 1 1/2f out he found himself being denied a clear run, a fact which he reported at scales, before being able to ride out to the line inside the final 110yds to obtain, in his opinion, the best possible placing; trainer confirmed instructions and that ride accorded with instructions given, which was noted; vet said a post-race examination found gelding to be lame right-hind).  If sound and getting put into the race with a clear run may prove hard to beat.....

Edited by sporting sam

Late start.

2.25 Sou Too Much 0.50 ew at 12/1

3.35 Sou Written Broadcast 0.50 ew at 14/1 (5TBP)

4.25 Win Electric Annie 0.50 ew at 5/1 (4TBP) Bad write ups but being backed by the looks of it

7.15 Nc Tathmean 0.50 ew at 12/1 (4TBP)

I am liking these offers from Betfred and Skybet for extra places.

4 points staked so far.  Hopefully back later with some more selections

Edited by The Equaliser

Newcastle 6.15

Quick change 

Each way.

Of interest  returning 264 days after haydock win.

Beat amazone who has gone onto complete a three timer in higher grade.

9  & 1/2 lengths clear of the field. (Mountbatten who is yet to reappear).

Acts on all weather and while is here for the turf season could still be involved .

Karl burke adept at bringing them back fit.

Edited by sporting sam

5 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

Late start.

2.25 Sou Too Much 0.50 ew at 12/1

3.35 Sou Written Broadcast 0.50 ew at 14/1 (5TBP)

4.25 Win Electric Annie 0.50 ew at 5/1 (4TBP) Bad write ups but being backed by the looks of it

7.15 Nc Tathmean 0.50 ew at 12/1 (4TBP)

I am liking these offers from Betfred and Skybet for extra places.

4 points staked so far.  Hopefully back later with some more selections

Amazing how just one horse winning can make all the difference to a day's returns.  Too Much, tipped up by @The Brigadierat 9/2 went off at 12/1 and won well.  Just goes to show that the market does get it wrong quite often.  Written Broadcast 2nd, Electric Annie 3rd, I had my doubts about this one and Tathmean may as well not been in the race at all.  Anyway 7.40 pts profit on the day. This makes my MTD +8.72 and YTD -86.55

2 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

Been keeping my eye on @The Brigadier in the SL naps table to see how he is getting on and i know from the naps table on here how difficult it is to pick the one horse out of a few options to submit. Good luck going forward fella, great performance up to now.

Especially since the results are all at SP

9 hours ago, Zilzalian said:

Been keeping my eye on @The Brigadier in the SL naps table to see how he is getting on and i know from the naps table on here how difficult it is to pick the one horse out of a few options to submit. Good luck going forward fella, great performance up to now.

Thanks @Zilzalian - I'm actually going through my toughest patch at present with 7 losers on the spin including 3 seconds and an unseat when in the lead 3 out. Hopefully get back in the groove this weekend

On 3/9/2023 at 7:44 PM, The Equaliser said:

Amazing how just one horse winning can make all the difference to a day's returns.  Too Much, tipped up by @The Brigadierat 9/2 went off at 12/1 and won well.  Just goes to show that the market does get it wrong quite often.  Written Broadcast 2nd, Electric Annie 3rd, I had my doubts about this one and Tathmean may as well not been in the race at all.  Anyway 7.40 pts profit on the day. This makes my MTD +8.72 and YTD -86.55

Are you liking the 'less is more' approach ?