** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Group G Predictions > Nov 24th - Dec 2nd

GroupG.jpg

groupgfixtures.jpg

It's another group where three of the teams were in the same group just four years ago at the 2018 World Cup. Brazil, Switzerland, and Serbia have been here before but this time they are joined by Cameroon and not Costa Rica. Will it be Brazil and Switzerland that progress to the last 16 again or will things go differently this time?

• 3 weeks later...

Switzerland

If there was one team I had to pick as the biggest unknown quantity in the World Cup it would be Switzerland. Murat Yakin's men have performed reasonably well since the 2020 European Championship run to the Quarter-Finals before a gut-wrenching loss on penalties to Spain. The Swiss stunned Europe by knocking out pre-tournament favourites France in the last 16. The squad qualified for this World Cup from their group that also included European Championship winners Italy. However, their UEFA Nations League campaign offered a Jekyll and Hyde spell of performances with the Red Crosses losing their first 3 games before winning their last 3 matches. There appear to be high expectations amongst the fans but the Swiss journalists seem a little more cautious. This team boasts some decent attacking options in Breel Embolo and Noah Okafor. The midfield is evergreen in Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri. The defence might not have any world class operators but they're efficient and stoic. This is a very tough group though and I think the crucial game will be against Serbia. Over-confidence could be what ends up being Switzerland's downfall.

Odds to Win World Cup: 100/1

Odds to Qualify from Group: 10/11

My Prediction: Group Stage

Cameroon

Ah, good old Cameroon. A nation synonymous with World Cup football in the 1990s. The Indomitable Lions remain a second favourite nation for a lot of football fans who were introduced to World Cup football in the 90s due to their performances at the 1990 and 1994 editions of the tournament. Also, who didn't do a Roger Milla jig by the corner flag after scoring a goal in their school playground? Rigobert Song is the current head coach and his team pulled off a superb result to knock out Algeria in a dramatic qualifier. Algeria looked destined to progress after taking the lead through a 118th minute goal by Ahmed Touba. However, an equalising goal from Karl Toko Ekambi in the 4th minute of injury time in extra time saw Cameroon progress on away goals. Sadly, this is far from a vintage Cameroon squad. Andre Onana, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa, and Vincent Aboubakar are the stand out players in a squad that generally lacks the match winners of previous Cameroonian squads at a World Cup. It's great to have them back after their failure to reach the 2018 World Cup but it's looking like a short but sweet return.

Odds to Win World Cup: 250/1

Odds to Qualify from Group: 4/1

My Prediction: Group Stage

Brazil

It's incredible to think that it's been 20 years since Brazil last won the World Cup. There are adult fans watching this year's tournament that weren't even alive when that happened. For a lot of us, Brazil remain the team for the World Cup. The past few tournaments that have been dominated by European nations have felt a little odd without Brazil appearing in the Final. I have a feeling that's all about to change here. Tite is still the head coach and the consistency and stability he has brought helped A Selecao top their qualifying table with ease. The wealth of talent in this squad is obscene. It's still hard to comprehend that one of Alisson or Ederson won't be playing many games at this World Cup. How can one nation boast such two brilliant keepers at the same time? The defence is as assured as ever with Alex Sandro, Danilo, Thiago Silva, and Marquinhos. The team possesses one of the most well-balanced midfields in the tournament with Casemiro and Fred freeing the likes of Lucas Paqueta and Bruno Guimaraes to do their stuff further up the pitch. Then we come to the attackers. Neymar, Vinicius Junior, Richarlison, Gabriel Jesus, and Raphinha. The fact that players such as Roberto Firmino, Gabriel Barbosa, and Arthur haven't even been selected shows the depth of quality this squad has at its disposal. You get the feeling that if Brazil don't win it then it'll be the team that beats that does. I'm backing them though. They have it all.

Odds to Win World Cup: 10/3

Odds to Qualify from Group: 1/12

My Prediction: Winners

Serbia

Not many teams fly under the radar when they have such a strong squad but I feel that's certainly the case for Serbia. Head coach Dragan Stojkovic has been going about his business quietly and building a really effective squad. The Eagles comfortably topped their UEFA Nations League group to earn promotion to League A and they remained unbeaten for their 2022 World Cup qualification campaign that saw them top the group ahead of Portugal. Stojkovic's men are unbeaten in their last 6 matches winning 5 of them and they have scored 18 goals during that period. The attacking depth includes Aleksandar Mitrovic, Dusan Vlahovic, and Luka Jovic. The midfield is balanced and experienced with the likes of Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and Dusan Tadic in the ranks. The only area of concern is the defence. It feels like Stojkovic sacrifices defensive stability in order to make the most of his attacking treasures. There is a key factor here that a lot of the players included in this current Serbia squad were European and world champions at younger age levels. They have that winning mentality and nobody will want to play them. I would love to see them go far but I have a bad feeling they might encounter Portugal in the last 16 and the Portuguese will want revenge for the qualification campaign.

Odds to Win World Cup: 80/1

Odds to Qualify from Group: 11/10

My Prediction: Last 16

Switzerland/Cameroon Draw @3.40

The draws have begun to come in the tournament. Switzerland are squad that draw many matches in the big tournaments. They have a solid compact squad and frustrated Italy twice in qualifying. They will rely again on Embolo and Shaqiri. Freuler and Xhaka provide stability to the midfield. The Swiss will be lery of Cameroon's pace and physicality. Anguissa has been one of the top midfielders in Serie A with Napoli. Onana is arguably the best keeper Cameroon has ever fielded, Choupo-Moting has been bagging goals for fun with Bayern. Like any draw, you need either team capable of cancelling out the other. I see this being the case in what figures to be a tense opener.

This could prove to be one of the tighter groups. After the way a couple of bigger teams have struggled I'm not sure Brazil will have an overly easy time in this group. I still think they should qualify and top the group but the chances of them ending the group with 9 points is slim. Switzerland will need to beat Cameroon here. The Swiss are a very difficult team to beat but they are also a dogged team in the group stages. I agree with the draw picks. I still think Switzerland are probably favourites but the price isn't attractive at all given what has already happened in these cautious openers from the favourites. In the second group game, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Serbia sneak something against Brazil so the double chance looks very tempting.

Switzerland vs Cameroon (Thursday, 10am GMT)

Draw @ 13/5 with Sporting Index

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 4/6 with Unibet

Brazil vs Serbia (Thursday, 7pm GMT)

Serbia Double Chance @ 19/10 with Sporting Index

BTTS @ 10/11 with Bet365

Brazil vs Serbia

Brazil starts the World Cup as the strong favorite ahead of France and Argentina to win the title. The five-time champions have not won the competition since 2002, but they have reached beyond the quarter-finals in three out of the last four editions. Once again, Brazil comes into the World Cup with a star-studded squad that is capable of beating any opponent on their day. A Seleção, as always, have immense pressure on their shoulders to win the World Cup both from football fans and pundits around the world, even more so back home where football is the most important thing. They enjoy a seven-game winning streak, being unbeatable after an unsuccessful Copa America finals in the summer of 2021.

Serbia looks to get past the group stages for the first time since 1998, when the team reached the round of 16. Since then, Serbia has consistently been unable to get past the group stages. The task does not get any easier for the 2022 edition in Qatar, as the team opens up the competition with a game against five-time champions Brazil. Serbia is the big underdog coming into the game, but Dragan Stojkovic will be looking to use that status to his team's advantage. The Eagles have been in good form lately, winning three times in a row and failing to celebrate just once on the previous six occasions.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction                                                                            

Although Brazil is a favorite in this game, Serbia is a team that can pose severe troubles. It is going to be a close match, and Brazil should win by more than a goal.

Goals Market Prediction

Both teams have very talented offenses, and they should be agile on the opponent's halves. Therefore, it won't be surprising if we see at least a goal in each net.

Serbia AH +1 @ 2.10

BTTS Yes @ 1.95

Correct score 1:1 @ 8.50

Brazil vs Switzerland

Brazil enjoyed a confident start of the World Cup 2022, beating Serbia 2-0 on Thursday evening. A Seleção dominated the game, but they needed to wait for Richarlison's second-half brace to pick up all three points. Although that win could have been more comfortable, the Brazil team is happy to have opened the tournament with a win. Now, they have a chance to secure a top-spot finish and head to the Cameroon game without any pressure. However, they will need to cope without Neymar and Danilo, who have been ruled out of the group stage due to injuries. Nevertheless, Brazil has a well-packed squad that can continue with good results.

Switzerland has been able to hit the round of 16 in back-to-back World Cups. The expectations are high surrounding the Swiss, who have been able to stay compact and very hard to beat – especially when going up against the top opposition. If there is one opponent who cannot be underestimated in Group G, it is the Swiss. Switzerland is not the type of team to roll over, and they are expected to provide stiff competition in the game. Although they struggled in their opening match against Cameroon, the Swiss managed to secure a narrow 1-0 win. Switzerland has scored at least a goal in all of its games against Brazil since the 1950s. Despite being underdogs in this one, they will try to provide an upset here.

It is going to be an interesting clash, as Switzerland managed to stun Brazil in the World Cup 2018. Nevertheless, we don't think this time Brazil will allow a surprising result, and we expect A Seleção to celebrate another victory.

Goals Market Prediction

Both teams have been involved in a solid number of efficient matches recently, and we expect to see a high-scoring game. The crowd at Stadium 974 should enjoy at least three goals in total.

Brazil AH -0.75 @ 1.65

Over 2.5 FT @ 1.95

Correct score 3:1 @ 13.50

The second round of Group G games are coming up on Monday and there's a chance for Brazil to seal their place in the last 16 if they can beat Switzerland and Serbia defeat Cameroon. I can honestly see both of those scenarios happening. Even though Neymar is ruled out for the group stages there's still so much depth in this Selecao team and I can see Swiss adopting a more cautious approach which could well end in a narrow win for Tite's men. Serbia still possess a very strong side and I'm not reading too much into their opening group game loss to an impressive Brazilian side. Cameroon did surprise me with how well they played but they just lack that cutting edge in the final third and that could cost them again here. It would be a shame to see them eliminated in the group stage but it feels likely.

Cameroon vs Serbia (Monday, 10am GMT)

Serbia to Win @ 4/5 with Sporting Index

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 8/11 with BetVictor

Brazil vs Switzerland (Monday, 4pm GMT)

Brazil to Win to Nil @ 13/10 with Unibet

Anytime Scorer: Richarlison @ 21/10 with Bet365

6 hours ago, harry_rag said:

Value with the main men at either end for me. Mitrovic at 2.64 and Choupo-Moting at 6.2.

:ok :ok Same again for me in Brazil v Switzerland; Richarlison at 2.9 and Embolo at 13/2 with Uni.

Paqueta card looks big at 7.6 and a few assist plays (my nemesis market) in Richarlison 5/1 Lads, Paqueta 17/4 Uni and Raphina 4/1 Betway. Feels decent where one would make for a small profit.

Cameroon vs Brazil

Cameroon's final group stage match comes against Brazil, who have already secured a place in the Round of 16. The fifth lowest-ranked team in the World Cup has a tough challenge ahead, as only a victory would keep them in the knockout-stage battle. Following a few years of struggles, the Indomitable Lions have improved recently with the Serie A contingent of Andre Onana and Andre-Frank Anguissa supported by the likes of Brentford's Bryan Mbuemo and Bayern Munich's Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting. Unfortunately for Rigobert Song's side, their solid core saw them come up short against nations with more depth, and they are about to face one of the most talent-rich squads in the world. Although Cameroon has picked up just a point so far, they won't give up on their chances to continue the campaign.

Tite's side will be well aware of their status as favorites. But having crashed out spectacularly in the 2018 World Cup, they will be keen to ensure their progress in this competition. The Selecao rarely lacks attacking talent, but this year the squad is perhaps more offensive-minded than ever. Tite has a wealth of forwards to select from and could easily rotate the entire front line and retain a world-class XI. Despite their attacking set-up, Brazil is no slouches defensively, and in Thiago Silva and Marquinhos have a perfect relationship at center-back. Nevertheless, since Brazil has already secured a top-two finish, we wouldn't be surprised to see a mixed lineup on Friday evening.

Although Brazil should rest the main players, they remain favorites in this encounter. Cameroon shouldn't pose a major threat, and we expect another Brazil success on Friday evening.

Goals Market Prediction

We could see an entertaining clash since Cameroon shouldn't be only focused on defense. Therefore, the crowd might enjoy at least three goals in total.

Brazil AH -1 @ 1.60

Over 2.5 FT @ 1.75

Correct score 1:3 @ 11.50

Serbia vs Switzerland

Serbia could be in second place at the end of round two. Instead, they find themselves in the fourth position of group G. The Eagles were leading Cameroon by 3-1 in the second half but had to settle for a draw after conceding twice in three minutes. With that, Serbia has one point after two rounds and needs to beat Switzerland and hope that Brazil doesn't lose to Cameroon as well to qualify. The Eagles have a lot of talent in their team who play for the top European teams. Coach Stojkovic will hope his team can maintain its scoring form, but a lot of work needs to be done in defense that let in five goals in two matches. Switzerland was more successful in World Cup 2018 in Russia when these two sides met last time, but we'll see what the outcome will be this time.

After a fine matchday one win over Cameroon, Switzerland failed to repeat their 1-1 draw with Brazil in 2018 and lost to the Selecao on Monday. Nevertheless, the Red Crosses need a draw in their third game with Serbia, given that Brazil doesn't lose to Cameroon by a big margin. In their match against Brazil, coach Murat Yakin adopted a compact defense to close down the spaces for the Selecao. That plan almost worked, but the Swiss conceded for the eighth time in the last ten fixtures. Moreover, the Red Crosses couldn't find a single shot at Brazil's goal. It will be interesting to see if they can resist Serbia's talented offense.

It is going to be an exciting encounter, as these two sides will likely decide who will progress to the Round of 16. The game can easily go either way, but we think Serbia might be a bit closer to victory and their first knockout-stage participation after 24 years.

Goals Market Prediction

Switzerland will be mostly focused on a firm defensive block, as a point could secure them a place in the knockout stage. It's going to be a tight clash, with no more than two goals in total.

Serbia to Win @ 2.60

Under 2.5 FT @ 1.85

Correct score 1:0 @ 7.90

The final group stage action comes from Group G on Friday and we have two games where every goal will have an influence on who is going through and who is going out. Brazil have booked their place in the last 16 already but will be keen to end on a high finishing top of the group. To be honest, they should have no problem dealing with Cameroon who have looked exhilarating at best but downright fragile at their worst. I'm expecting a solid Brazil win that will see Cameroon sadly exit the tournament. Serbia versus Switzerland is the big one though. Before the tournament, I fancied Serbia to edge it but I think Switzerland's tournament experience is showing. Serbia must find more consistency in their performance levels and I wouldn't be surprised if this game ended in a draw and that would be enough to put Switzerland through.

Cameroon vs Brazil (Friday, 7pm GMT)

Brazil HT/FT @ 11/10 with Sporting Index

Brazil to Win to Nil @ 13/10 with Unibet

Serbia vs Switzerland (Friday, 7pm GMT)

Draw @ 5/2 with SpreadEx

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 10/11 with Bet365

With Piksi as our head coach i would never go with any kind of 'under' option for Serbia. The possibility for a 'overish' match is always there..simply because his aproach is attacking football..we do poses a lot of talent in this squad, lot of firepower upfront,but also a very shaky defense and on the tactical side we're often too naive i'm afraid..

For me it's BTTS in this one.. Serbia v Switzerland