Racing Chat - Thursday 7th April (Aintree Day 1)

Day one of the three day Aintree Grand National meeting starts on officially good to soft ground with a forecast that suggests there will be minimal rain to come. Here’s my thoughts on the terrestrial television races.

Aintree 2.20

Nine juveniles go to post for the Jewson Anniversary 4-Y-O Juvenile Hurdle run over two miles and one furlong which see’s the Triumph Hurdle third Pied Piper take on the Boodles Handicap winner Brazil from Cheltenham clash. Official ratings have only a pound between them but my preference is for the Gordon Elliott trained Pied Piper who is reunited with Davy Russell who was on board for his victories at Punchestown and in the Cheltenham Trial prior to Jack Kennedy taking over in the Triumph Hurdle. He wasn’t disgraced in finishing third to Vauban and Fil Dor that day and can see off Brazil who touched off the Willie Mullins runner Gaelic Warrior on the line. Too Friendly is held by Brazil on that run whilst Knight Salute has ground to make up with the selection on the Triumph Hurdle run. The JP McManus second string Petit Tonnerre will need to improve on his handicap victory 44 days ago whilst it’s easy to pick holes in In The Air’s win. This should, on form, between the front pair with hopefully the Elliott horse coming out in top. One word of possible caution mind is the fact that the Elliott horses are going through a quiet winning spell currently.

PIED PIPER 3 points win @ 11/10 William Hill

Aintree 2.55

The Betway Bowl Chase is a grade one contest run over 3m 1F and features the last two winners of this prestigious contest in Kemboy and Clan Des Obeaux. The latter was very impressive in this last year winning by 26 lengths and has to be on anyones short list. He was a bit disappointing last time mind at Newbury in the Denman Chase and sports first time blinkers today. The 2019 winner Kemboy represents Willie Mullins and he beat Clan Des Obeaux in this race two years ago. He’s not been disgraced in good company this season and is another with claims. Protektorat represents the Skelton’s and he was very impressive over course and distance in the Many Clouds Chase last December. Third in the Gold Cup last time he too is very much in the shape up today. Only half a length behind the latter in the Gold Cup was Royale Pagaille and he too comes into it if the ground were to turn soft. Conflated, a faller in the Ryanair and Eldorado Allen who was third in the same contest also have claims in a very open Betway Bowl. A hard one to call but the memory of the youngest horse in this field Protektorat bolting up in December gives him just the vote.

PROTEKTORAT 2 points win @7/2 William Hill

Aintree 3.30

Only seven go to post for the 2m 4F Aintree Hurdle which features the 2nd and 3rd from the Champion Hurdle crossing swords once more. Nicky Henderson’s Epatante finished a length ahead of Gordon Elliott’s Zanahiyr on that occasion although had the former not clattered the last he would of possibly been a couple of lengths ahead at the line. Both are trying this longer trip for the first time and I just have preference for Epatante. Glory And Fortune looks held on that run whilst the Paul Nicholls pair of McFabulous and Monmiral have questions to answer now after modest last runs. Brewin’upastorm comes into it on ratings but I think this maybe fought out by old foes Epatante and Zanahiyr and with Henderson’s stable in better form than Elliott’s she gets the nod.

EPATANTE 2 points win @ 2/1 William Hill

Aintree 4.05

A bumper field of 24 go to post for this year’s Foxhunters although I must admit hunter chases really aren’t my forte and I’ll be leaving this to the experts (step forward @Darran Pearce).

Aintree 4.40

A competitive looking eighteen runner two mile handicap chase although if the ground doesn’t get too bad I think there’s an excellent bet in the race. Sam Thomas has had a excellent season and his runners remain in decent form winning with two of his last five runners. He saddles his nine year old Before Midnight here who wouldn’t want the ground soft but good to soft or better should be fine. A winner on good ground at Cheltenham and Ascot late last year, he was out of his depth (and the ground was wrong) when 4th of 4 behind Shishkin at Kempton over Christmas but bounced back at Doncaster next time when going down by only a length to Funambule Sivola. The winner there has gone on to win the Grade 2 Game Spirit Chase at Newbury and run second in the Queen Mother Champion Chase at the Cheltenham Festival. Before Midnight can race off of the same mark and is sure to run a big race with luck in running on ground that hopefully doesn’t soften too much. Dangers a plenty mind with the likes of 28/1 Grand Annual winner Global Citizen (likely to try and make all again), Frero Banbou (4th in this last year but 5lb higher now) and maybe the best outsider The Last Day who although ten years old still seems to be on a nice mark. But it’s all about Before Midnight for me here.

BEFORE MIDNIGHT 3 points each way @ 13/2 Bet365 1/5th 12345

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.