Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Rochus won anyway. Starting bank : 100 points Profit: - 27.05 points. Today: Massu to bt Wawrinka 1.87 at Betfair Probably taking a bit of a chance here, but fancy Massu to edge this. Wawrinka has oplayed 2 five setters this week, Massu has had a rest after Novak scratched from their second round match. 20 points. Jankovic +4 games v Pierce 59/50 at Globet. Jankovic is a pretty fine player when she wants to be. Pierce has done well recently, but has a tendency to blow up. I fancy Jankovic to take a set, so I am taking the handicap, especially at odds against. 15 points. A cover bet: Wawrinka to lose first set and win match - 9/2 Paddy Power I'll have a little insurance on the Swiss battler, here. Massu might not like the fight, but could start well. 4 points.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) A fairly rewarding Day 5 then with a 24.6pt profit. A quick preview of some games for Saturday... 25pts Wawrinka-Gasquet (3.67 @ Ladbrokes) :( Wawrinka may have layed 2 5-setters, but this prodigy is one hell of a battler and he certainly won't be battered the way Murray does when he needs to go the distance - afterall, Wawrinka didn't exactly have an easy ride when he played at Roland Garros either when he took out Massu and Blake in 9 sets over 2 rounds. Quite simply, Wawrinka is the better player here and so long as he starts this as an underdog, the opportunity must be seized. Gasquet may have stumbled a little against Martin, but he clearly showed that was just a minor hiccup against Galimberti - Ljubicic has never gone past the 2nd Round at the US Open all his career and I just don't see him getting the better of the French teenage sensation. 25pts Wawrinka-Grosjean (3.45 @ Ladbrokes) :( Grosjean clearly showed he's playing himself into form as the tournament progresses and I feel he'll just have the beating of Robredo as the Spaniard is hardly a half-decent player on this surface - the fact he struggled to a hard-fought win over Kuerten who hasn't played much tennis clearly suggests he's some way off being capable of beating an in-form Grosjean. 10pts Ginepri-Soderling (4.01 @ Ladbrokes) :( Ginepri should beat Haas if he continues playing the way he's done over the last month. Also, Soderling is grossly overpriced to take out Coria who doesn't exactly play his best tennis on hardcourts. Cheers & Good Luck! :ok Starting Bank : 100.00pts Current Bank : 185.50pts Profits/Losses : +85.50pts

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Must agree on Grosjean, Ed. I have taken him -3 on the games handicap, but haven't included it here. Thought you might side with Wawrinka again. He will be some player if he keeps battling like he has done, I am betting he runs out of steam today. Mind you, it won't take much for Massu to throw the towel in. Fancy another longish match, though, so I've also dabbled on total games being over 37.5. Again not included here, though. Good luck!

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th)

Must agree on Grosjean, Ed. I have taken him -3 on the games handicap, but haven't included it here. Thought you might side with Wawrinka again. He will be some player if he keeps battling like he has done, I am betting he runs out of steam today. Mind you, it won't take much for Massu to throw the towel in. Fancy another longish match, though, so I've also dabbled on total games being over 37.5. Again not included here, though. Good luck!
:rollin At least, I know for certain Wawrinka won't be puking all over the court or calling for the trainer when crunch time comes - unlike another player his age!

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Starting bank: 100 points Profit: - 13.65 points. Jankovic retired against Pierce. Took a 3-2 lead with a break, but due to injury lost 7 straight games before retiring. That bet is void. Massu dispatched Wawrinka in straight sets. On to today: Nalbandian to bt Gonzalez 1.85 at Unibet Great price for Bandy. He has been quietly going about his business this week. Gonzalez has been OK, but poor form coming into the tournament gives me doubts. Make Nalbandian 8/13 here. 25 points. Petrova to bt Vaidisova 1.8 at Centrebet A case of experience versus youth here. Vaidisova is often impressive, but just feel against a top 10 player like Petrova, her run may come to an end. Again, I am impressed by the odds available for Petrova, I was thinking more 4/7. 15 points. Nalbandian -1.5 sets v Gonzalez 2.45 at Globet Further to my previous bet, and at the risk of an all egss in one basket situation, I'll have a go at this too. Think Bandy is a 3-1 winner in this match. Or possibly straight sets. 7 points. Kiefer -1.5 sets v Clement 1.85 at Globet Similarly, can't see Clement taking Kiefer to 5 sets here. 8 points. With a saver: Kiefer 3-2 6/1 at Sporting Odds 2 points.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Venus williams to win against her sister looks like a gd bet to me as she is in gd form after her win in Wimbeldon. Sharpova should be able to nick it against Mirza as she make too much of unforced errors. Sharpova to win in 2 clear sets. Hewit should be able to counter the Dent as he did in wimbeldon, But Home support is with Dent though. expect Hewit to win 3-1. Expect Dent to get at least 1 set here for the home support. Nalbandian as usual he always did perform well in all the masters so far. he always have a special luck with him so he will be victorius tonight.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Not the best of days on Day 6 with Wawrinka being the major letdown - guess it's probably fair to say yesterday's match was one hurdle too far for the Swiss starlet after his 5-set exploits in the opening 2 rounds. Nevertheless, there appears to be some cracking bets on first looks for Day 7... 20pts LAY Srichaphan to beat Sanguinetti 3-0 (3.50 @ Betfair) :D 10pts Sanguinetti to beat Srichaphan (3.05 @ Betfair) :D This is one of those that's obviously making me laugh - and thanks in advance to whoever has actually stuck up those prices for the Italian on the exchanges. Srichaphan is a decent player at best and even when he's on form, he's still one of those who needs numerous break points before he converts one - up against the big-serving Sanguinetti, those chances will be at a premium and it's ridiculous to think he will prevail in a clash against someone who could serve to save his life. Talk about form and I'd still fancy Sanguinetti over Srichaphan - Srichaphan beat an out of sorts Davydenko while Sanguinetti got here on the basis of beating a player who finished last year as the world no.4 in Carlos Moya. 20pts Hewitt-Petrova-Ferrer (3.45 @ Ladbrokes) :( Dent has basically been getting away with murder over the last 2 rounds - when you start dropping a set to players like Almagro and Burgsmuller, you know you've got a problem and he's clearly not in any form or shape to trouble Hewitt. Petrova should also have the beating of young Czech upstart Vaidisova - experience will tell here and I feel Petrova's just too experienced for the young Czech who obviously has still got some things to work on. Lastly, I also like the look of Ferrer to beat Hrbaty at 5/6 as the Slovak is someone who struggles when he goes behind - his frail mental state could just work against him here as I feel there's every chance Ferrer could close this out in straight sets if he gets off to a flyer. 15pts Serena Williams to beat Venus Williams (2.74 @ Ladbrokes) :( If both were at their peaks, I don't think there's even a debate as to who's actually the better player. The fact that Serena had a woeful Wimbledon compared to her sister's triumph at SW19 has only further played the price into Venus' hands. However, from what I've seen of Serena this week, there's an awful lot to suggest she's slowly playing her way back into form and has shown signs and glimpses - things which were basically lacking at Roland Garros and Wimbledon - of the stuff that has made her unquestionably the finest female player of her generation(in my mind, anyway). While it's still a bit premature to suggest she will win the US Open just yet, I must stress it isn't exactly beyond the realms of all probability but she has got to up her game another notch starting with what is potentially her first against 4 top 10(well, the worthy top 10 anyway) players for the remainder of the tournament. Serena to take this certainly represents the value bet for me. Cheers & Good Luck! :ok Starting Bank : 100.00pts Current Bank : 125.50pts Profits/Losses : +25.50pts

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Good day yesterday. Starting bank: 100 points. Profit: +34.30 points. Difficult to find value today. Have to have a few points on a silly price. Mauresmo v Likhotseva - Total games 21 or more 7/2 I know Mauresmo is likely to win this in straight sets, but her wobbles at Grand Slams are well documented, and 7/2 is a big price. 4 points. Blake -1.5 sets to bt Robredo 1.57 Globet You would think Blake, in the form he is, would beat Robredo 3-1 or better. However, Robredo's better-than-expected performance against Grosjean produces some doubt. 10 points.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Coria G. v Massu N. Total Games Over 36.5 1.80 Under 36.5 1.80 Special 05 Sep 05 18:00 IST Winner Agassi A. v Malisse X. Total Games Over 35.5 1.80 Under 35.5 1.80 Special 05 Sep 05 20:00 IST Winner Robredo T. v Blake J. Total Games Over 37.5 1.80 Under 37.5 1.80

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Sanguinetti to beat Srichaphan One of the most amazing games I have ever seen , pure entertainment :clap . I managed to get Sanguinetti at 3-1 when Srichapan broke back in the last.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Last Night was a gd night as allmatches went as expected so expecting another a smooth day tonight though. Davenport should win these year US Open after being so dominating in so many grand slam just a feeling she will these time around at her home ground. She should win in straight sets today. Take her to win 2-0. Henin should win tonight aftera tough battle tonight with Pierce, She should be able to edge it out here By a 2-1 scoreline, But these match should last quite sometime though. Agassi is alays a crowd fav & some more Home advantage. He should be able to edge it out here with a 3-0 scoreline here. Blake should be able to carry on his form here. If he is able to maintain his composure as he did against Nadal, Roberdo should be a gd fight here perhaps he can take 1 set of Blake but i am expecting a 3-0 scoreline, with a cover of 3-1 scoreline. Gd luck.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Sanguinetti's triumph did provide me with a 5.5pt profit on Day 7 overall, but Day 8 should provide more rewards as most of the games look pretty straightforward. 60pts Agassi-Blake-Mauresmo-Henin Hardenne (2.08 @ Ladbrokes) :( Barring any injuries or major mishaps, these 4 should stroll home at a canter and 2.08 is obviously massive. Malisse has basically been playing some rubbish and how he's even here is beyond my contemplation - Youzhny must have played some drivel to throw away a 2-0 lead against this woefully inconsistent Belgian. Agassi has shown just why he's still considered one of the greatest returners to have ever played the game given the way he survived the Karlovic test in straight sets despite the Croatian firing the most aces in any single US Open match so far - Agassi's still got it in him to beat the likes of Malisse. Blake should also help Robredo pack his bags given his encouraging form throughout the tournament so far. There's no doubt in my mind Blake's a top 10 player when he's at his peak, but the slide in rankings over the last year due to a series of unfortunate injuries and personal tragedy has clearly made him more determined to return than ever. From what I've seen of him so far, I just don't see Robredo getting a sniff here as Blake simply played some sublime tennis to beat Nadal in the last round. Mauresmo will have the beating of Likhovtseva at a canter as the Russian is evidently not one to make much progress in Grand Slams(her SF appearance at Roland Garros this year was an aberration obviously) and she'll struggle against the big serving Mauresmo. Henin Hardenne is another one who's slowly playing her way into form and I'd like to think she'd have this wrapped up so long as she turns up focused on the job at hand - she may not thump Pierce 6-1, 6-1 as she did at the Roland Garros final earlier in the year, but she should also prove too strong for Pierce and should take this in straight sets. Pierce hasn't beaten Henin Hardenne in any of their 4 previous meetings. Cheers & Good Luck! :ok Starting Bank : 100.00pts Current Bank : 125.50pts Profits/Losses : +25.50pts

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) ... but Agassi won that in the end;) Anyone remembers the match Agassi v Novak when A. was leading something like 2-0 and 4-1 and still managed to lose? - it was in China a couple of years back and is still on my mind.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) If I were a cynic I would believe that Robredo has thrown this match against Blake. His performance after being 5 2 up in the second set is awful and I am afraid I can not put it down to him choking or Blake raising his game.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) what an absolute shocker from Henin. She threw a performance here like that agaisnt Petrova in the same round last year under the lights :( No more backing of Henin at night for me :lol :lol

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Starting bank: 100 points Profit: +36 points. Bit lucky with Blake, looked for all the world he was going 2 sets down. Today: Hewitt -1.5 sets to bt Hrbaty 1.57 Globet Pretty good price here. Hewitt has been a powerhouse this week. Hrbaty does not have the serve to trouble Hewitt, can see a lot of breaks going the Australian's way. As he is 1/4 to win the match, I see 4/7 a good price to win 3-0 or 3-1. 25 points. Verdasco/Nieminen looks like a trading special. Difficult to call, but Verdasco should come through. Could be another long one. Perhaps Sporting Odds' 6/1 on 3-2 to Verdasco would be a decent play. Can't see how Clijsters is a clear favourite against Venus. The 2.5 on offer at Betfair for Venus looks reasonable.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Henin-Hardenne was in shambles yesterday - can't believe how easily she folded... :@ On to a better Day 9, hopefully! :hope 25pts Verdasco-Hewitt-Federer (1.88 @ Ladbrokes) Verdasco is just about the only match with reasonable odds on offer for today's men's matches. This is a tricky one, but something things me Verdasco will shade this. With no disrespect to Nieminen, being taken to 5 and 4 sets by Beck and lucky-loser Phau respectively hardly does justice to arguing a case in his favour against Verdasco who did stomach a comeback against rising star Djokovic in the last round. More importantly, the fact Nieminen took 5 sets to beat Verdasco at Wimbledon in 2003 (and it's no secret grass is hardly the Spaniard's favourite surface) in their only ever previous meeting doesn't exactly help convince me he's in a position to beat the Spaniard on a surface the latter's far more comfortable with. I wouldn't suggest this as a value proposition, but I just can't see Nieminen troubling an in-form Verdasco. In spite of the upsets that have been coming in leaps and bounds, Federer and Hewitt remain, for me, as straightforward as they come - I feel the scare Hewitt got from Dent will have kickstarted his campaign proper and if he plays to form, Hrbaty will be swept aside. Cheers & Good Luck! :ok Starting Bank : 100.00pts Current Bank : 65.50pts Profits/Losses : -34.50pts