Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) I always like a bit of Bjorkman/Mirnyi action. Bjorkman has been working a lot on his fitness in the past couple of months which has shown in his improved singles results. He is always good at doubles:tongue2. They have looked very good since losing the first set in the first round against Jenkins/Reynolds (which was a pretty crappy start). Black and Ullyett has also looked pretty good but can't really see past the top seeds here. 1.65 @ Centrebet.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th)

Hey dont get me wrong' date=' I would love to see Agassi win it all. I just dont feel that he has the weapons to hurt Federer. The last time I saw those guys play, I felt bad for Agassi. I hope I am wrong, I really do. It would be great to see AA go out in NY as the champ. In any case, at the end of the day, I just don't want to see Federer win yet again.[/quote'] Much as I enjoy watching Federer and admiring his greatness, it's certainly a cause for concern that someone could be so overwhelmingly superior to everyone else in the field. Quite honestly, I just can't see past him for the title as he still looks a class above everyone else even if he doesn't step out of third gear - let's be honest, Federer hasn't been that impressive(by his standards) in this tourny, but has still been walking and cruising through matches at a canter even if some of the scorelines might have flattered to deceive. And the fact people like Agassi and Ginepri have been playing a couple of 5 setters will only play it further into the hands of Federer. Much as we'd all like a fairytale end to the story, I just can't see AA troubling FedEx - this isn't 2002 and Agassi isn't exactly confronting someone of Sampras' calibre(and that's no insult to Pete). :tongue2

Much as I enjoy watching Federer and admiring his greatness, it's certainly a cause for concern that someone could be so overwhelmingly superior to everyone else in the field. Quite honestly, I just can't see past him for the title as he still looks a class above everyone else even if he doesn't step out of third gear - let's be honest, Federer hasn't been that impressive(by his standards) in this tourny, but has still been walking and cruising through matches at a canter even if some of the scorelines might have flattered to deceive. And the fact people like Agassi and Ginepri have been playing a couple of 5 setters will only play it further into the hands of Federer. Much as we'd all like a fairytale end to the story, I just can't see AA troubling FedEx - this isn't 2002 and Agassi isn't exactly confronting someone of Sampras' calibre(and that's no insult to Pete). :tongue2
Exactly my sentiments. I think that Fed will only improve from here, which is a scary possibility. This is why I felt that Blake losing was a bit of a downer; I truly believe he has the guns to knock off Federer if he is "on" and has the crowd behind him. Oh well, there's been plenty of upsets so far, so here's hoping for another one!

I always like a bit of Bjorkman/Mirnyi action. Bjorkman has been working a lot on his fitness in the past couple of months which has shown in his improved singles results. He is always good at doubles:tongue2. They have looked very good since losing the first set in the first round against Jenkins/Reynolds (which was a pretty crappy start). Black and Ullyett has also looked pretty good but can't really see past the top seeds here. 1.65 @ Centrebet.
Nice, I'm going to add it to one of my parlays, although I think Ill take the odds on offer at an exchange like Betfair :ok Centrebet are probably skimming too much as usual.

Much as I enjoy watching Federer and admiring his greatness' date=' it's certainly a cause for concern that someone could be so overwhelmingly superior to everyone else in the field. Quite honestly, I just can't see past him... [/quote'] In his match against Kiefer I thought he looked very fed up with life. He reminded me of Ronnie O'Sullivan. I can't help feeling that the wheels are going to fall off some time soon. Whether it's this tournament remains to be seen.

In his match against Kiefer I thought he looked very fed up with life. He reminded me of Ronnie O'Sullivan. I can't help feeling that the wheels are going to fall off some time soon. Whether it's this tournament remains to be seen.
Although I must admit he did lose his rag a little(can't remember the last time he threw his racquet since his junior days) against Kiefer, I don't think it takes anything away from the fact he still possesses a unique ability to get out of trouble and rely on his reserves when he needs to do so. :rollin Federer is no O'Sullivan - it'd be more appropriate to compare O'Sullivan to people like George Best. At least, Federer is more consistent and reliable even when he's not exactly firing on all cylinders. wayniac, I tend to agree with you to some extent with regards to Blake being perhaps the only one who could challenge Federer. He does play a very similar game to Nadal as he's very athletic and has a knack of chasing down every point, but I honestly don't think his mental strength would have pulled him through - Blake's capable of some sublime stuff when he's riding on his adrenaline, but once the wheel comes off, he'll just fade away no matter how commanding a position he's in(as we'd seen today and also at this year's Aussie Open where he came so close to beating Hewitt). That's a pity, really. Just in case this tourny pans out in a manner as unpredictable as the results have proved, here's hoping for a Pierce-Ginepri double coming in! :rollin

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Starting bank: 100 points. Profit: +32.85 points. Day off yesterday, couldn't see any value in the men's matches. Surprised Hewitt was taken to five sets by Nieminen, though. Today: Pierce to be Dementieva 1.63 Betfair Pierce won me over in her surprise defeat of Mauresmo. Dementieva is a battler, but if Pierce can hold her serve, she is a winner. Dementieva's serve should let her down at this level. 12 points. Bryan/Bryan to bt Bjorkman/Mirnyi 1.82 Betfair Mirnyi was dreadful in the semi, and unless he perks up or Bjorkman carries him, the Bryans should take this. 8 points.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Today's tip= utter miscalculation by Will Hill. Most aces - Pierce 6/4 22-13 to Pierce so far in the tournament. Centrebet have Pierce at 1.60. Globet have Pierce -0.5 aces at 1.70. Clijsters +0.5 aces is 1.90. There is a healthy arb there for anyone interested. Clijsters +0.5 at 1.90 and Pierce to get most aces at 6/4. Anyhow, 10 points. Similarly, Clijsters most double faults - 11/8. 18-6 to Clijsters on this in the tournament so far. Again, gross misjudgment by Hils. Centrebet have Clijsters at 1.40 for this. 12 points. Good luck all.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Not that they are guaranteed to win, but the odds are definitely in our favour on these two. The more markets there are, the more opportunities for different books to make bloopers. Hills include the tie in their odds, which is a bit of a banana skin, nevertheless a decent chance with both.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Federer v Agassi h2h Federer leads 7-3 with Federer winning the last 7!!!! 3 wins to Federer this year all in straight sets.Last years US agassi took Federer to 5 sets with Federer winning the final set 6-3. About as certain as you can get and a better return than leaving your money in the bank.

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) I don't think it was mental, think he just physically didn't have anything left. I'm sure he was limping slightly just after he shook Fed's hand. Fed went to a level I haven't seen before in the tie break and Andre knew he (or anyone else) couldn't go there. "Thank you New York for the past 20 years" Not sure we'll see him again:o

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) I think we won't.

don't think it was mental, think he just physically didn't have anything left.
After being pushed into the tie-break, sure, BUT earlier in that set, he had it pretty much for taking and exactly at that time he made what I thought was a mental mistake just like "jeez, just hit this and i'll win for sure" - maybe it's just me, but he broke after this.:( Limping? difficult to say as he looks like this any time he walks:)

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) well I have to say sets 2 & 3 were really full of top quality tennis and it was nice to see Federer being pushed for a change. Agassi gave it everything but i think his fitness let him down in the end. But Federer really is such class and he just seems so invincible

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) I'd certainly like to see someone challenge Federer a bit more, to be honest. Sublime and enjoyable to watch as he may be, Federer has a knack of being lulled into a false sense of security and an utter sense of complacency from time to time where he simply thinks he can do no wrong. Federer in the opening set and the one who broke back Agassi from 2-4 down in the 3rd set onwards was simply the invincible maestro we've all come to identify with, but that nonchalant and complacent idiot he was in the 2nd set right through to him getting broken in the third was clearly an impostor at best and I think that's hardly a pleasant sight to go along with his otherwise imperious performances. Much as we could go on talking about this final being 'special' for obvious reasons, I personally find this a step down from the final Federer played last year where he was simply imperious from start to finish(I'd view that as his finest performance as well). :tongue2

Re: Tennis : US Open 2005 (August 29th - September 11th) Edtkh I dont completely agree. I think Federer showed some serious mental fortitude in this game. I really thought he was going to crumble. He had the entire crowd on his back, cheering his every miss and mistake. But he stood up and hit a series of cold winners, silenced the crowd and destroyed Agassi in the end. This was one of the most impressive performances Federer has had I think.