** February Poker League Result : 1st andybell666, 2nd rosco, 3rd Like2Fish **
** Football Tipster Competition Result : 1st mickyftm32, 2nd Tiffy, 3rd Cauncie, 4th Alley Cat Glover, 5th Larkin22 **
Attention, PL Members! To reinforce security on the forum, we have updated our login process. Please note that you will now need to use your email address to sign in, rather than your forum username. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

What to Look for When Betting on Greyhounds?

alexcaruso808

For many years I have betted on football and horses with moderate success here and there.  The only thing I have never dabbled in is greyhound racing.

Yesterday evening I took a look at two Australian races on Betfair.  I went to the exchange and looked at what other punters were betting on and choose those dogs and....they both won!!  It was too simple to be reliable and I like to know what I'm doing when betting.

There seems to be a few different type of races - BAGS, SIS, main non-BAGS/SIS, and provincial.

So, for the more experience punters, what is best to concentrate on?   BAGS, SIS etc?  Should I follow one track?  

I did some reading up and read that some traps have a bias, could someone tell me more about that?  What if a favourite is not running in a biased trap?

Any help from the experts is appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

BAGS and SIS are just 2 different suppliers of the same product (British greyhound racing). Each will have different tracks contracted to them to supply the racing.

As for track bias... this can happen when the weather is extreme, warmer weather dries the tracks out, wet weather makes it sloppy and testing (just like horse racing etc). This can lead to a bias which 'favours' either the inside or outside of the track.

I would recommend focusing on one particular track for starters, you will get to know the dogs and the trainers better. Whichever track you choose, remember the old saying.."early pace wins the race", as most races are won by the dog that leads at the 1st bend.

• StevieDay1983 changed the title to What to Look for When Betting on Greyhounds?
On 10/19/2020 at 4:05 PM, Bang on said:

BAGS and SIS are just 2 different suppliers of the same product (British greyhound racing). Each will have different tracks contracted to them to supply the racing.

As for track bias... this can happen when the weather is extreme, warmer weather dries the tracks out, wet weather makes it sloppy and testing (just like horse racing etc). This can lead to a bias which 'favours' either the inside or outside of the track.

I would recommend focusing on one particular track for starters, you will get to know the dogs and the trainers better. Whichever track you choose, remember the old saying.."early pace wins the race", as most races are won by the dog that leads at the 1st bend.

Thanks Bang On!

• 1 month later...

hi to all. I´m starting to betting on greyhound races ,  i always like to lay on dogs , is it possible you guys , experts on greyhound races where i can see some good websites or some good tips to lay on greyhounds ?  I read above  Bangs said early pace wins the race , that is a very good tip . Any other good tips please?

thanks to all

regards

Edited by buga00

On 11/24/2020 at 5:17 PM, buga00 said:

hi to all. I´m starting to betting on greyhound races ,  i always like to lay on dogs , is it possible you guys , experts on greyhound races where i can see some good websites or some good tips to lay on greyhounds ?  I read above  Bangs said early pace wins the race , that is a very good tip . Any other good tips please?

thanks to all

regards

I look for dogs going either up or down the grades. Dogs dropping down (eg: A5 down to A6 ) will be running against lesser opposition. Obviously going up a grade will be against better opposition.

Another tip is to look for improving pups (pups are classed as under 2 years old), pups will often win more than their share when the penny drops and they start to improve significantly. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...