** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

LOI, Northern Irish Cup, & Welsh Cup Predictions > Feb 28th & 29th

Flint Town vs Prestatyn

The Welsh Cup Quarter-Finals this weekend give us a chance to focus our attention on two teams that wouldn't ordinarily get the coverage they may usually have with our previews. This clash between Cymru North sides Flint Town and Prestatyn kicks off at 8pm GMT on Friday night at the Essity Stadium in Flint. These sides are the top two in the northern section of the second tier of Welsh football so it's going to be feisty.

Flint Town enjoyed their own glory days in the top flight of Welsh football back in the 1990s with the Silkmen competing in the League of Wales consistently between 1992 and 1998. The club even flirted with European football during that stint with a league high finish of 4th place in the 1993/94 season. Nowadays, the club is pushing to earn promotion back to the promised land and they've come close this year. Niall McGuinness's men are 2nd in Cymru North but 13 points behind the league leaders. Two league games in hand gives them a chance but it's looking like a tough ask. They could still earn a trophy in this competition though having already seen off the likes of Colwyn Bay, Bala Town, Greenfield, and Four Crosses.

Prestatyn might be the underdogs with the bookies coming into this game but Neil Gibson's team are top of the tree in the Cymru North by some considerable way and the prospect of Cymru Premier football next season is firmly within their sight. The Seasiders actually won this trophy as recently as 2012/13 and experienced a European adventure back in the 2013/14 season where they beat Latvian side Liepajas Metalurgs over two legs before being eliminated by Croatian team Rijeka in the Europa League. Their Welsh Cup journey has seen them navigate past Swansea University, Penrhyncoch, Bangor City, and Llanrhaeadr.

Well, this has been fascinating delving deeper into the annuls of Welsh football. I was toing and froing about which side to back. I can see why the bookies have given the edge to Flint Town but I really think that a draw could be a more profitable bet when it's so hard to call. Prestatyn are a team that are well prepared for the top flight of Welsh football next season and they have pedigree in this competition. I'm sticking with the draw though because it could need pens to separate these two eventually.

Draw @ 4.50 with Bet365

BTTS @ 1.61 with Bet365

@Cheltenhamwhite, @Wiltshire Shot, @Bang on, and @Theodore, what do you think?

In Wales:

None of the North/South matches have been priced up as far as I know.  Sadly for @StevieDay1983 the Flint/Prestatyn match has gone due to the weather (a shame because I thought there was a lot of value in a 2X punt) which leaves three matches.

The two Saturday games sees the league's two best (Connah's Quay and TNS) sides drawn at home.  Both should win and the prices reflect that and I'm not getting involved in either.

Which leaves Caernarfon v Cefn Druids.  I'm hoping to get there if it survives the deluge, but with the other game off it's now the televised match which might be more sensible than risking Snowdonia's passes in the weather.  Anyway, this could be an interesting tie.  Ignoring routine wins in previous rounds Caernarfon are without a win in eight in the league, admittedly generally against decent sides and last week's draw at Barry was apparently deserved (according to the Caernarfon report anyway!). 

Cefn Druids aren't faring much better (two wins in seven in the league) but two defeats to TNS can be overlooked and the win at Bala (admittedly fortuitous) catches the eye. 

Another factor is the weather; Caernarfon like to play a precise, patient game and a wet pitch might make that more difficult.

I got Cefn Druids/Draw at 6/5 when the prices came out, which I thought was worth a go given Caernarfon's drop in form.  Evens is now what's available for 2X, which I think is on the edge of value.  However, it's been a game I've found hard to predict and it wouldn't be a shock to see the home side roar back into form and win comfortably.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Shot said:

In Wales:

None of the North/South matches have been priced up as far as I know.  Sadly for @StevieDay1983 the Flint/Prestatyn match has gone due to the weather (a shame because I thought there was a lot of value in a 2X punt) which leaves three matches.

Yeah, not surprised by that. Our league games were called off last night and they're not until Sunday. My son's matches on Saturday morning are still currently on though but that pitch drains really well. I think they've had worse weather up north this week though.