Points System

After reading the VDW thread I thought I'd check out another system from decades ago when I first got interested in racing. Basically just a Points system based on last 2 form figures, C, D and CD wins

Last 2 runs

1 = 5 pts

2 = 3 pts

3 = 2 pts

Bonus points

C = 1 pt

D = 1 pt

CD = 3 pts

The problem with the system once you got to know a bit more about the sport was that it took no account of class. For example a horse that had won two Sellers and one had been over 12 furlongs at Epsom would be top rated for the Derby ahead of a horse that had won The Racing Post Trophy and Guineas as it's last two runs. Obviously ridiculous.

But once you start looking behind the points and assessing class and going and all the other variables that don't show up in a pure points system you might as well forget it and just study the race as you normally do. The purpose of a points system (or any system) is to take the subjective element out and throw up random selections that have some logic behind them 

So anyway I had a brainwave ...…… :loon

If you stick to the lowest class of handicap then the form figures and bonus points will almost certainly have been earned in that class or higher ……. you can't have horses with points earned in lower classes of race because there aren't any (they could be Sellers but they're usually on a par with class 6). 

So I thought I'd stick to Class 6 Handicaps on the Flat and Class 5 over Jumps.

Top two rated (in one of the races today there is joint 2nd rated)

Here's today's selections ……...

Tues 14/05

Bev 4.50 - Jazz Hands 5, Nordano 3

Chep 4.00 - Panatos 8 (NB), Aristocracy 5

Chep 5.00 - Ascot Day 4, Boycie 4

Ffos 5.30 - All The Hunter 5, Avonmore 4

Ffos 8.00 - Centreofexcellence 9 (NAP), Alltimegold 5, Babytaggle 5

Let's see how they get on. I've given the NAP to the biggest rating and NB to the next biggest

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

After reading the VDW thread I thought I'd check out another system from decades ago when I first got interested in racing. Basically just a Points system based on last 2 form figures, C, D and CD wins

Last 2 runs

1 = 5 pts

2 = 3 pts

3 = 2 pts

Bonus points

C = 1 pt

D = 1 pt

CD = 3 pts

Clive Holts Fineform by any chance ?

I think I have it and the revised version tucked away somewhere on one of my many pen drives

Used it years ago has its moments

good luck :ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.