** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

How do you find field size affects profit?

karndy

Was wondering how you found field size affects profit? Obviously, huge fields have a massive amount more money on the final table in the top positions compared to smaller fields of the same buy-in. However bearing in mind you always need to come into pretty much the top 5 to get the high percentage winnings which field sizes do you find more profitable, big or small?

Prefer small MTTS as my time I have is more limited as family life so can't get on till later on and combined with full time job it works well for me and I enjoy playing for regular wins :)

Will occasionally play big field MTTS that last ages or I hope to last ages :))  

Bigger Fields should give most winning players a better ROI in the long term has their are likely to be more the really terrible players in these attracted by the hope of a big 1st prize , but there is a naturally bigger downswings between these bigger wins.  

I mostly play stars so used to playing these bigger fields , but if you like more regular wins like Leo then try some the other sites.

Also if playing smaller field size can play a slightly higher average buy in I'd say. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/12/2019 at 4:45 PM, karndy said:

Was wondering how you found field size affects profit? Obviously, huge fields have a massive amount more money on the final table in the top positions compared to smaller fields of the same buy-in. However bearing in mind you always need to come into pretty much the top 5 to get the high percentage winnings which field sizes do you find more profitable, big or small?

I think field size is a double edged sword, but in my opinion is not the right question. You need to combine it with buy in and speed of the levels.

A big field with a low buy in usually attracts plenty of bad players. So you have to be aggressive early and make sure you get your share of their chips.  A fast tournament turns things into a shot-out, where you MUST gamble to get somewhere. This is not an ideal situation, because your ability to stay patient and play premium hands is undermined.

The biggest problem with a big field is that you will be going 'all-in' more often. Very infrequent that you play a tourn and don't have to risk your life in it a few times. Particularly annoying when you have invested 5 hours in something to be donked out by the village idiot. Not like you can reload (ie cash game).  SO if you are in a tournament like this, you need to take some calculated risks earlier,  and build a helthy stake early. Otherwise, you come to the last 2 tables hanging on in any case.

I think you need to look at field quality. The easiest way to do this online or live is to play the same tournament regularly. You pick up the vibe. How long does it take, which players to avoid, where is the easy money. If you have a limited amount of time, field size is a big deal. No good starting a tournament at 8pm, and getting to the business end at 2 in the morning. When you need to be your sharpest your batteries are running  low.