** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2020 Finish continued

waggy

52 minutes ago, waggy said:

First horse lost by shd so I did indeed do a chasing job. Try not to do but it seems good at the time. Not to be advised.

At least it's all weather at Newcastle Vikki so perhaps not to bad I hope.

Do not follow horses so had to research ‘shd’.

I now understand why you felt the urge to chase :lol 

I've resisted commenting a few times of late, whether positive (making it back to £1k up with relatively restrained staking) or negative (rash staking happening more frequently). I have to say though, it's just a silly and ill advised approach to staking, where you have such wildly varying stakes at similar prices. Not withstanding that you've been doing this for years and are playing with money you can afford to lose, you're posting your bets for public scrutiny and sometimes we're compelled to call out the poorer decision making.

One comment I'd make; my gut feel (without doing a proper audit) is that you do badly with racing bets, partly because they tend to be among your more dangerously staked bets but I'm not sure you'd see a positive return to level stakes. Maybe take a closer look with a view to knocking them on the head or at least reining in (!) the stakes.

2476 result: Gaassee 1st.  Won £738.46

2477 result: Liangel 2nd.  Lost £110

Profit to date £673.17

With the thread approaching three years at the end of December I must admit that the profit to date is abysmal. My main aim was to keep a record of my bets, a thing I have never done. Like anyone I get irritated when a bet goes down by a narrow margin but the worry is just not there as I'm not silly enough to risk too much. The enjoyment is working out the bets that I think are rock solid. The money doesn't matter that much. When I get a big win I reduce the stake so as not to lose my profit on the day. And there lies the problem, not looking long term. But at my age long term is not an important option lol. This is a thread that nobody will copy (hopefully) but I enjoy. 

Nothing abysmal in and of itself about a thread that’s showing a profit after 3 years, the negative note is the current bottom line relative to the peak that was reached at one point. Keeping a record is a good thing but I’d recommend doing it in a spreadsheet so you can analyse the results from time to time. It’s eye opening to see which markets you do well and (more importantly) badly in.

if I was going to recommend a top of the head staking approach that might make the ride a bit less bumpy I’d say maybe have A, B and C bets where B is a normal bet staked to win (say) £100, A bets staked to return double (reflecting maximum confidence) and C, more cautiously, to return half.

But, ultimately, if the current approach works for you and you’re relatively set in your ways I suspect the thread will continue in the current vein for the foreseeable!