** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Experiences of BetFan/betadvisor - as a tipster

Hi,

Has there ever been a thread here (or article anywhere really) discussing experiences of using platforms like BetFan, betadvisor etc from the point of view of a tipster? Things like - how many subscribers they got, could their subscribers get their bets on, did they get their payments reliably and of course - what did they earn... that sort of thing.

Thanks,

@Sir Puntalot - I should point out that I by no means have my heart set on becoming a tipster. I am simply investigating the best way to monetize my system. Maybe I should ask a different question then... how about "If you had a system that was proven profitable (employing BOG and betting the evening before the race) - how would you best monetize it?". Of course you could say "just bet your own money" - but then you will get banned by the bookies - then what?

Edited by HenryTD

@BillyHills  @slapdash  Any input for Henry guys? ;) 

Slapdash has been running something using BOG for years in the Systems & Strategy forum. @BillyHills is our horse racing guru though. :ok 

On the note of the 2 sites mentioned, I do know that they take a big chunk and someone who I know used to be on there said it wasn't worth the effort for what you get.

Have you tried it on the exchanges?

@Zico10@Sir Puntalot Sadly my system is not profitable proofed against BFSP. It seems this is very common. BFSP appears super accurate whereas "evening odds" are much more prone to containing errors, i.e. accidentally offering odds that are too long. I have actually measured the accuracy of a variety of odds and can see that the closer to the race time the more accurate they become. The BFSP are the most accurate odds out there. I.e. the ranking of the odds in a race correlates best with the finishing positions of the horses.

It is just possible that my system might be profitable against the odds offered on the betfair exchange at some time well before the off, but I have not investigated this thoroughly yet. There may of course be liquidity issues with early betting so that's a lot of research and data collection to be done!

Yeah it's a big difference. If you find you can get the prices on the exchange you'll have a good system. Just to go back to your question on punters getting the odds the tipsters advise, you have to jump on them as soon as they give them out. My experience is depending on the tipster the odds can drop massively. I've even contemplated whether it's better to just back the tips then lay them when the price invariably drops! 

On 10/1/2018 at 12:03 PM, HenryTD said:

Hi,

Has there ever been a thread here (or article anywhere really) discussing experiences of using platforms like BetFan, betadvisor etc from the point of view of a tipster? Things like - how many subscribers they got, could their subscribers get their bets on, did they get their payments reliably and of course - what did they earn... that sort of thing.

Thanks,

You ask a lot of questions! 

I'm struggling as your replies in this thread have very little to do with you original question. You were asking about the life of a Tipster basically and then you went to explain that you cant make your system work. 
I think you are just a number cruncher at heart, your detailed investigation into R4 deductions in the other thread was a dead give away:lol

Love to see this wonderful system by the way? Good luck:ok

59 minutes ago, BillyHills said:

I'm struggling as your replies in this thread have very little to do with you original question. You were asking about the life of a Tipster basically and then you went to explain that you cant make your system work. 

I think I explained the switcheroo in my reply to the first answer - actually I once discussed the idea of becoming a tipster on another forum and got flamed so badly for bringing up the subject of tipsters that I had to leave and never return!

1 hour ago, BillyHills said:

I think you are just a number cruncher at heart, your detailed investigation into R4 deductions in the other thread was a dead give away:lol

Guilty as charged. I'm certainly not a gambler. I've scarcely gambled a penny my whole life... don't have the temperament for it and worse still I've eaten through all my savings doing this project (just living expenses - not from gambling) so I don't have a sufficient bankroll to start betting (using kelly criteria) other than in tiny amounts.

So now I'm trying to work out how to convert my system into some sort of income. It appears to me that my choices are either to A) become a tipster (hence my original question) or B) to persuade rich friends to start betting on my tips in return for a cut. I am currently one week into trying out B. So far we have discovered that if you bet at 6.30pm on the day before the race then it can be tricky getting the full amount of your bet on, especially if the odds are on the long side, e.g. 10/1 or more. We found that you try and put on say £100 and the bookie website comes back saying that there is a maximum of say £30 allowed for that horse. This was a total surprise to all of us and it's throttling our income.

7 hours ago, Pirate53 said:

You'll have to go in person to the bookies and put the bets on manually. Even then they'll suss you in the end.

@HenryTD
Yes, I know someone who actually pays 10 people in different parts of the country to put bets on at around 11am each day.

I know coz he asked me if i'd be interested, he would put £2000 into an account for you to use and send you the horses (about 3 per day) it was for 2% of the profit or something similar.
You used about 6 or 7 different high street bookies in the City centre.

2 hours ago, Zico10 said:

@BillyHills he must have been winning serious money everyday to make that worthwhile for the runner! 

Yeah, he said it was only an hours work a day plus free access to the tip service which would normally go out once the bets were struck at the prices agreed. Not my cup of tea but plenty of takers for those wanting inside info.