** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Monday April 17th

210 Market Rasen

Galactic Power NAP 9/4 Bet365
Robin Dickin has his string in decent nick and sends a couple of his in form horses up to Market Rasen. Bally Lagan bids for a 4-timer later and Galactic Power goes for his hat-trick here. Won with a bit in hand last time out at Exeter and this doesn't look any harder to be honest.

5.00 Fairyhouse: Irish Grand National

Harry Fry hasn't made a secret of the fact that this race has been the long term plan for Fletchers Flyer ever since he won a big Handicap Chase at the Punchestown Festival last year. He obviously handles this type of fast ground, goes well on a right handed track that is to some extend similar to Fairyhouse and he jumps well in a big field.

This still generally lightly races chaser has seen a racecourse only twice this season. His comeback run is one to put a line through, however a third place in the Grade 2 Reynoldstown Novices' Chase at Ascot in February is a fine piece of form.

He should come here in tip top shape, certainly fresher than most and could easily find a bit of improvement in these conditions which means his mark of 145 could undervalue his real talent.

Noble Endevour is a bit more experienced and very much race hardened. He looked superb when landing the Paddy Power Chase at Leopardstown over Christmas and he followed up with another huge performance at the Cheltenham Festival when third behind Un Temps Pour Tout in the Ultima Handicap Chase.

You always wonder how much energy that must have cost but he had only four starts this season so may well have still something left in the tank. Second highest weight in the race isn't an easy feast but he should love these conditions as he clearly excels in big fields, his jumping is big and bold, he travelles strongly and only slight question mark, other than fitness, is the fast ground.

Selections:
5pts win - Fletchers Flyer @ 11/1 Betfair SB
5pts win - Noble Endeveaur @ 16/1 Bet365

6.00 Redcar: Class 6 Handicap, 6f

Of course with three year old's early in the season you can't be quite sure how the race pans out pace wise, also some go with first headgear to post, suggesting there might be change of tactics for some.

However if you only read through the racing comments for most horses in this field you'll find only very few did ever race close the pace, let alone lead a field. The majority is held up in rear, dwelt, was slowly away and therefore naturally behind, or at most tracking the race from a midfield position.

I feel this might give a horse a chance that forces the matter. Obvious candidate is top weight Chickenfortea, who has decent form in the book too. However of a revised mark he looks vulnerable to an improver.

This one could be Kevin Ryan's Backinanger. This las has been up with the pace in his last two starts on the All-Weather where he ran with credit. He was incredibly keen when last seen at Newcastle and couldn't sustain his effort, though the third place looks good form taking all of that into consideration, even more so as the winner backed up the form subsequently.

Backinanger is still winless, but he makes his turf handicap debut here with fast conditions sure to suit. Interestingly connections opted for fitting cheek-pieces for the first time, something that could help him to focus, be sharp in the finish and be easier to handle in general.

He also hails from a decent family, he also was a late foal which explains why he looked still pretty raw in most of his races up to date. It is therefore fair to assume that he could still improve a bit. A low mark of 57 gives him a good chance here.

Selection:
10 pts win - Backinanger @ 7/1 Bet365

Edited by robertob

5.00 Irish National

Typical race that shows whats wrong with Racing today, especially over the Irish Sea.

One of the flagship handicaps of the jump season has become a farce. Over half the field is either owned by Gigginstown or McManus although he has been a bit unlucky and ended up with reserves, and Gordon Elliott has no less than 10 runners.

I really hope someone else wins it but the odds are against that happening I suppose.

For what its worth my ratings give the top one Lord Scoundrel a chance with the useful Lisa O'Neill in the saddle claiming 5lbs.

Lord Scoundrel EW 40/1 Stan James

Irish National

You have to go all the way back to January 2015 to when Foxrock last ran in a handicap. Incidentally he won that off a mark of 149. Since then he has been running creditably in graded races at the various top festivals and more recently has won his last 4 races (all hunter chases). Back in a handicap today (albeit a very competitive one) he is off a mark of 150 - just 1lb higher than his last handicap appearance. Possible question mark about the ground as could do with it soft and I think the official going is good to yielding but at 20/1 it's worth an each way bet in my opinion. 

Irish National

Eillott has thrown a lot of horse at this where as Mullins has just the two and its Rubys mount i like  HAYMOUNT having its forth run ths year will be spot on for this nice weight good run over futher lto looks to have a really decent chance a win bet at 11/1 for me also a couple  e/w for me SHUTHEFRONTDOOR 33/1 won this as a novice three years ago not been in great form but hoping he wlll find his form being back here only a couple a lbs more than when he won it and last one 50/1 shot MEASUROFMYDREAMS ran in national jumping can be sketchy at times but if he get round could well go very close at a massive price.

Irish Grand National

Stellar Horse is a massive big horse and a beautiful jumper of a fence. Maybe something was amiss at Aintree but I just think he didn't enjoy the unique test and he can go well just nine days later as he didn't get a hard race. The good ground and stiff Fairyhouse fences should be perfect for him and he's just 3lbs higher than when beaten a neck by A Toi Phil in a valuable handicap at Leopardstown. On that form he's on a decent mark and although there are some doubts about his stamina he shapes like a relentless galloper and if he can get into a good rhythm up front on this decent surface he could get a few in trouble.

5.00 Fairyhouse - Stellar Notion e/w @ 66/1 Betfair