Poker Novice Questions

Sir Puntalot

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Poker Novice Questions

I guess I will have 20 icons on my desktop in no time!
And the rest mate :loon
I've just added Will Hills so that I can have a go in my first freeroll this arvo...
Be warned - registration opens at 12 noon, and it is full by about 12:02 - it fills up very fast and you have to be sitting there waiting to get in to have any chance. Is a good freeroll though if you can get in :ok

Re: Poker Novice Questions I'm in, so a quick question if you don't mind: I'm guessing there will be 100 tables of 10 to start with. Is it like STT and the winners of each table then goes into 10 tables of 10 and so on? Or is it like cash games and they move you about to keep the table numbers at 10 all the time?

Re: Poker Novice Questions

I'm in, so a quick question if you don't mind: I'm guessing there will be 100 tables of 10 to start with. Is it like STT and the winners of each table then goes into 10 tables of 10 and so on? Or is it like cash games and they move you about to keep the table numbers at 10 all the time?
You're right - It starts off with 100 tables of 10 (1000 entrants). When the first 10 people have been knocked out, then they will "close" a table - and there will be 99 tables of 10. When another 10 have been knocked out, another table will close and there will be 98 tables of 10 and so on, until there is only one table left. You will usually have at least 9 people on your table (until the later stages). It sounds drastic, and like you'll be moving every few minutes - but (unless you're extremely unlucky), you won't be - you can go an hour or so at the same table (though you will see people coming and going around you).

Re: Poker Novice Questions Well damn good fun that was. I lasted 55 minutes and was up in the high 200's at one stage. Got knocked out in 256th place after some lucky prick got well lucky. He went all in on 66's so I matched him with my KK's. The flop came out - nothing. The turn - nothing. Then the river - a 6. Lucky ****! :@ Still I'll be back.....

Re: Poker Novice Questions Good to see you playing for some real $$$ now Hodgey and as GAF says great effort for your first go. Is that your first time off the play money tables? You'll have to get used to taking those type of bad beats (and worse) but in the long run get your money in when you're ahead and you'll do alright :)

Re: Poker Novice Questions Yep that was my first time off the play money tables. I don't think I played that bad, but got unlucky in the end. At least the lucky git who done for me is now out too! :D Now then, when the next freeroll....!?! It's a shame it's NYE else I'd probably be on here all night! :lol Cheers fella's. :)

Re: Poker Novice Questions I need some help learning how to play on a table with a lot of sit outs, I have just played a freeroll at SO and there were 7 players sitting out on my table. If I am in a Sit and Go I will play weaker hands when there are fewer players and the blinds are bigger. In this multi table the blinds were still small but there were only 3 players playing, I was completely lost as to what hands to play and what to stake. Should I make big bets on moderate hands to try and steal the blinds or should I play the way I would if all people were present?

Re: Poker Novice Questions It's a tough one and one I've been struggling with on the Maxim tournament, but the strategy seems to be coming right for me now. Instinct is to loosen your starting hand requirements - but that just seemed to get me into trouble - so now I play pretty much my usual game, as I would with 10 active players. By keeping tight starting hand requirements, when I do go in (and I go in aggressively), then I will usually have my 2 opponents beat - especially if they have loosened their starting hand requirements. If you do that - let your opponents play a lot, then when you do play and you are aggressive, then they will usually back down. I try and avoid confrontation here, unless I really am very strong. And I try to avoid bluffing too much (except maybe putting a continuation bet in if I have position) - surprisingly I find that this strategy allows me to grow my stack pretty much as quickly as the other players, but with less risk than those who are constantly trying to steal the blinds. Especially early on, the risk/reward of trying to steal blinds just doesn't seem to make it worth it. Also make sure you are alert!! If everyone folds to you and there are only discons to follow, make sure you take the pot!!! (Sounds obvious, but it's incredible how often it's missed) I think the "text-book" strategy will be to loosen your starting hand requirements, but in freerolls I prefer the strategy outlined!!! (i.e. little change from my usual game)

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hi all. As a poker player only into the first couple of months of the steep learning curve, I have found this forum very helpfull and I hope in future i can give something back to the pl. I have a question tho for the more experienced players here, which is do you play low same suited cards before the flop especially if another player has raised. Do you hold out for the flush or possibly straight if they are connecting? I seem to to have to make this decision regularly and often fall foul on the big blinds. Any advice would be appreciated. Apologise if this question has already been asked.

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hi Gaz :welcome to the lounge - glad we've been of help to you. If you are talking non connecting cards e.g. 3 diamonds and 8 diamonds - then it is definitely not a good hand to play. If you are talking suited connectors e.g. 6 diamonds and 7 diamonds - personally I seldom play them, but there are people who do play them. If you do play them, you are looking to see a cheap flop. If someone raises before you act, then you have to let it go and fold. If you miss the flop, then you also need to be prepared to let them go. If you then have a draw for a straight or a flush, then you need to consider your pot odds against the odds of making a winning hand (or your opponent folding) in making your decision, which depends upon your opponents and the cards in the flop (amongst other things) - it's impossible to give a general rule.

Re: Poker Novice Questions Hi coolhand :welcome from me too.:ok There is not much I could add to Gaf?'s post (though I will ;)).

I find that these hands are the most difficult to play pre flop
That statement is something that will help you if you remember it when playing. What I mean is you don't suffer any agonies if you get dealt AA do you? You could try playing these suited hands only; AKs-10s, KQs-10s, QJs and Ax (call only a minimum raise-depending on blinds). If you hit the flop you will have a minimum of a reasonably strong pair, and if you're lucky you could be 1 card away (drawing) from either a straight, flush or even royal. Then you decide yourself how for you want to go, and how much you want to pay to stay in the pot. Kx, Qx, J10s, minimum call only (limp) and fold to any raise. If you hit on the flop play as above, but if not do not pay to go any further unless you are drawing to an open straight, and even then consider the cost. This is not ideal, but will help you discipline yourself, and eventually you'll start to lose faith in those Ax and Kx hands which hit only rarely, because even if you flop an A to give you a pair your kicker will lose you a lot of pots, even if you take some. This can be picked to pieces but just a starting point.:ok

Re: Poker Novice Questions Wizard - I'm a relative newbie in poker terms but i would say No & No. There is no real way of detecting a bot as it plays the percentages of a game to get a profit. Alot of people don't use the chat, so you can't even tell by saying "nh bot" and waiting for a reply - some "real" players are playing 2/3 tables at the same time and don't have time to chat. Ways to beat them? Don't waste time on this. If you are playing against a bot it is probably trying to make a few dollars every 20 hands or so. Don't worry about how it plays the game, just play your own game as you would against any opponent. Not much help - but thats how i see it.

• 1 month later...