** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm Double Ross...50/1 ew Ladbrokes. The trouble with this race from an ante post view, is trying to work out which horses are going either Champion Chase or Gold Cup route. Dynaste and Al Ferof for example, but, if the betfair market is anything to go by, the DR is Ryanair bound instead of Gold Cup, and that makes sense IMO. Pout of 7 visits to Prestbury Park, he's either won or been placed in 6 of them, his sole poor run was in the Neptune as a hurdler behind Simonsig. His best performance coming in last years Jewson, when only beaten 2l. This season, he's ran a screamer in the Charlie Hall, Then quite predictably ran poorly at Haydock and Kempton. A definate reason would be that he doesn't like such courses, as his previous results at such tracks would indicate and that he doesn't stay 3m in top company. Pits interesting to note that Twiston Davies had a similar a few years ago with imperial commander. Like Double Ross, IC had excellent Previous Cheltenham form, he was comfortably beaten in the Neptune as a hurdler,he was best when fresh, he was poor on flatter speed courses,had failed miserably in that seasons King George and again like IC will go straight to the Ryanair with no prep. Trainers, as a rule are creatures of habit. Twiston Davies is no different. If he has a runner in this years Neptune, that is comfortably beaten, then leave it alone for 2 years and ante post him in the Ryanair.

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm 2015 Ryanair Chase Trends 16 of the 19 winners and runners-up had won at Cheltenham before All 7 winners since it became a Grade 1 race had run in the King George VI Chase before Since the upgrade to Grade 1 status, horses with solid 3m form have taken over 4 of the 10 winners finished in the first 3 in the Ascot Chase 9 of the 10 winners went off at 6/1 or shorter Only 1 of the 8 Peterborough Chase winners to run has even placed No Irish trained winners to date

• 3 weeks later...

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm Taquin de Seuil ew @ 16/1 - Ladbrokes With the field cutting up a bit (Cue Card has been ruled out this morning and Champagne Fever is almost certain to go for the QMCC), there is potentially some each way value. I like Ma Filleule with her 7lb allowance but there is a niggling doubt that this class may find her out and 5/1 is a bit short for me, especially when worthy favourite Don Cossack can be backed at 3/1. Balder Success hasn’t had the best of luck at Cheltenham, failing to complete in any of his starts there. John’s Spirit and Hidden Cyclone are both feared given their course form but both will need to improve a touch to win this, albeit Hidden Cyclone was runner up last year. At a bigger price – a standout 16/1 with Ladbrokes is Taquin de Seuil, who on the face of it has had a fairly disappointing season. He was being campaigned with a tilt at the Gold Cup in mind but Jonjo has conceded that 3 miles stretches him so the shorter trip will be favoured here. He beat a decent looking field in the JLT last festival and his course form is 6121 so goes well over C&D. Jonjo wasn’t having a great time of it early on in the year but is showing signs of form and should have most of his string ready to peak for next week. Hopefully Taquin is one of them and 16/1 is too big if he is primed.

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm Any thoughts on Eduard? Albeit over a shorter trip than ideal for Many Clouds he gave him 6lbs and was only just beaten over a length. Only his jumping down the home straight stopped him winning the last day and with the way the race is cutting up he could ho off as one of the market leaders. Ballynagour and Double Ross look interesting outsiders with their course and festival form. Ballynagour went on to run really well in two grade 1s at the end of the season and is interesting if the Ryanair is his target which it may well be with Dynaste ruled out. I really like Taquin de Seuil and had a small bit on him to win the Gold Cup at 65 on Betfair a while ago but he weakened alarmingly quickly despite travelling beautifully the last day. I don't buy the "doesn't stay" argument as he stayed pretty well in the Charlie Hall. He may well have needed the run but he's had his problems this year and the non runner no bet bookies look too short.

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm Couldn't really put you off him, his form with Many Clouds does read well and he goes very well on his 1st 2 runs after a break. The trainer is my worry, he's always, like his dad, preferred Aintree to Cheltenham, and IMO, a step upto 3m at Aintree would suit. That is based on the words " unable to quicken " in his write in his defeat to Wishful Thinking. Still reckon you will see a shock result in this race.

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm

Couldn't really put you off him, his form with Many Clouds does read well and he goes very well on his 1st 2 runs after a break. The trainer is my worry, he's always, like his dad, preferred Aintree to Cheltenham, and IMO, a step upto 3m at Aintree would suit. That is based on the words " unable to quicken " in his write in his defeat to Wishful Thinking. Still reckon you will see a shock result in this race.
That's interesting about Richards preferring Aintree. I really like Eduard but there's a few at bigger prices with course and festival form which may be slightly more appealing. For me Don Cossack is well too short at 7/2 on what he's beaten. Same reason for Ma Fillieule. Balder Succes is not appealing based on his form in big fields and around Cheltenham. Johns Spirit has been a handicapper his whole career and even though he ran well in the King George I would not want to back him at a single figure price. I can see Hidden Cyclone being pipped up the hill again. Taquin de Seuil has had his problems and I don't buy Jonjo's excuse that he didn't stay last time. I can't take a chance at him being in top shape at these prices. Champagne Fever will probably go for the Champion Chase. Boston Bob nearly always flatters to deceive and will probably go for the Gold Cup. You then have the likes of Eduard who could be a star in the making and Wishfull Thinking who looks as good as ever this season although a Grade 1 at Cheltenham could be a bit much at his age. Uxizandre looks likely to come here and is a very good horse on decent ground so he has a chance. Ballynagour absolutely hacked up last year at the festival, went on to run well in two Grade 1s and although he's now Pipe's sole hope in this race he could go down the handicap route. Double Ross like Uxizandre ran a cracker in the JLT, should improve back at Cheltenham and looks well too big at 50/1. Completely agree about a shock result in the Ryanair. It's an ultra competitive affair and I can't see what some of the horses at the top of the market have done to be so much shorter than some of the outsiders. I think I'll have an each way bet on Double Ross while keeping an eye on Eduard, Uxizandre and Ballynagour looking to place another bet closer to the day.

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm Boston Bob is certainly a head scratcher. Pretty much unbeatable of 20 and 21f, yet he looks like he'd be better over further, but hasn't really shown it. Better ground would suit him and granted that, he'd be an each way bet in the Ryaniar or Gold Cup. Don't forget, he was looking the likely winner when falling in the RSA the other year. Bookies going anywhere between 10s and 25s for the Ryanair, but judging by the betting, GC looks the likely option.

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm Cheltenham 2:40 - Ryanair Chase(Festival) (Grade 1) (1) 2m5f DON COSSACK has transformed into a top quality chaser this season and he is the horse I want to be on for this weeks Ryanair Chase at 4/1 with Betway. He was always highly regarded from back in his Bumper days, but things didn't go smoothly for whatever reason. Anyways, this season he has blossomed and he looks the complete package. He has won all of his four starts this season, albeit they were small fields. He got the better of Loosen My Load in a Grade 3 at Punchestown and things started to progress from there. He stepped up a gear and demolished Wonderful Charm by 8 lengths at Down Royal and all of a sudden we are thinking "Is this a flash in the pan or is this horse seriously improving?" On to the John Durkan Memorial, he goes off the 13/8 second favourite but beats the favourite Boston Bob very easily and thats when we realised we could be looking at our Ryanair winner. He probably had his toughest task to date last time out, taking on a horse as good as Champagne Fever at Thurles, and they jumped the last locked together but Fever fell! However, Don Cossack was just getting the better of the Mullins horse in my opinion so would have won anyways. Fever went on to win very easily since to boost the form. I think Don Cossack is a very solid each-way bet. >>>>> Don Cossack - 3 Points each-way @ 4/1 Betway https://www.punterslounge.com/cheltenham-festival/

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm 2.40 Cheltenham: Ryanair Chase (2m5f) This has worked out to be a terrific contest over the years and really the fifth championship race of the Festival. Winners like Cue, Card, Dynaste, Riverside Theatre and Our Vic can be found on the roll of honour and its also a good race for the punters as we don’t get many shocks in the Ryanair where the form is pretty much for everyone to see. It’s a shame Cue Card or Dynaste cant line up this year but it still looks a decent renewal. Six of the best; Don Cossack – Owned by Gigginstown House Stud and improving with experience. Fell in the RSA last year and has looked a better horse back at the shorter trip this season. He has won his last four races and seems much more of a professional now and ready to take on these big Grade 1 prizes. Worthy favourite and will be tough to beat. Ma Filleule – Classy mare who won the Topham Trophy at Aintree over the National fences last season. Has struggled this season to recapture her best form and it maybe that she is a spring horse. She gets a 7lb sex allowance here, which on ratings puts her right in the picture, and if she can reproduce anything like her best she will be there at the finish. Balder Succes – Extremely consistent sort who was thought to be more of a two-miler but this season has ran his best races over this kind of trip. The obvious worry is the track, he has fallen on all of his visits to Cheltenham and that is not a great stat coming into the Ryanair. He seems to have jumped well all season at various tracks and is in great form at present. Hidden Cyclone – Was thinking of going for the Champion Chase but with this race opening up has opted to come here. Was second to Dynaste twelve months ago so has nothing to fear from either the track or the uphill finish but will need to brush up on his jumping. He fell twice at Thurles and Punchestown but has since completed twice and won well last time out by 5 lengths in the Tied Cottage Chase. Johns Spirit – A rise in class for this horse but with some of the leading players missing through injury it must be worth a gamble to run. Often runs well here at Cheltenham in the 2m5f handicaps and this time last year ran in the Byrne Group Plate off a mark of 148. Now rated 160 he has to go for something a bit more classy and his 6th in the King George shows he not that far behind the big boys. Foxrock – Switched to this race from the Gold Cup due to some high profile absentees here. Ran in the four-miler last season so maybe that’s a clue about his future but has the class to make his presence felt in this company. Second last time to Carlingford Lough in the Hennessy is top class form and could be the one to fear. Verdict: I don’t like backing horses who go for races that haven’t been the original target, both Foxrock and Hidden Cyclone have been switched here and although respected I’m looking elsewhere. Don Cossack is very classy and has looked a much better horse this year and this could be his time to shine in the top grade. 2pts Don Cossack 9/2 Paddy Power

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm One from Uk and one from Ireland..... Eduard - 18\1 PP Good novice chaser last year and just 2 chase runs this year finishing close2nd behind 2 good horses in Wishful Thinking and Many Clouds. Don Cossack - 9\2 PP In good form this winter with 4 chase wins. Owners desperate to win this there own race.

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm I can only back one horse in this ....balder success .........has just looked the perfect horse for this and cant believe his 8/1 price .....will need to improve his jumping here at chelt but I think hes now ready to shine balder success 5pts ew 8/1 stan james

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm 2.40 Cheltenham - 1pt e/w Eduard @ 20/1 (Bet365) Such an open race this year and I wouldn't be shocked if an outsider won it. Nicky Richards' charge has been super progressive and I hope he's not finished improving yet. He's taken his form to new heights recently and splitting Wishfull Thinking and Wonderful Charm last time was a good effort. That's considering he jumped left handed also. Stays the trip well, will enjoy an out and out gallop and although he needs to find a bit more I can see him making the frame at a price.

Re: The Ryanair Steeple Chase > Thursday March 12th @ 2:40pm

Now this looks a cracking race! Wishful Thinking 170 Balder Succes 169 Don Cossask 169 Foxrock 168 Eduard 166 Wonderful Charm 166 Wishful Thinking is a rogue and you dont know what mood he will be in, especially with the Hobbs team a little out of form. Balder Succes is pretty solid all round. Good jumper, goes on any ground, stays the trip well and there is no reason why he shouldnt run well. Don Cossack has been a bit of a revelation this season. He was a bit soft last year, probably not seeing out 3 miles that well but dropped back in trip he has gone from strength to strength this season. His form looks pretty good as well, probably just about to get the better of Champagne Fever and beating Gold Cup contender but quirky Boston Bob. Foxrock has also developed really well this season and he too looks a big player, only just going down to another Gold Cup contender in Carlingford Loch, beating Lord Windermere. Boston Bob and On His Own in the process. The questions with him remain over the trip and ground combination and that is probably just enough to put me off. Eduard and Wonderful Charm both have a similar profile in that they are good horses but dont look good enough to mix it with the best in the division. WC was very one paced last season at the business end and Eduard probably makes too many mistakes to be a real player.
Balder Succes 8/1 Paddy Power - 1 Point Don Cossack 9/2 Skybet - 1 point