Front running

Re: Front running This site gives a list of course and how they suit prominent runners, which might help. In my opinion i like courses such as Chester, Musselburgh, Catterick on the flat and Perth, Plumpton, Cartmel and Stratford over jumps. Often courses that have sharp bends tend to suit the handy horses. http://www.allaboutbetting.co.uk/horseracing/flatcourses/flatcourses-a-c.html

Re: Front running Wolverhampton on the All-Weather is surly the most extreme example of a track favouring front-runners or prominent ridden horses at the moment. Due to the extreme kickback horses from behind have little chance or need the absolute perfect race to win. Lingfield due to the short run-in also favoures this type of horses. As BH said: Catterick for sure, Chester, would add Pontefract, Beverly and Windsor as well from my experience.

Re: Front running

This site gives a list of course and how they suit prominent runners, which might help. In my opinion i like courses such as Chester, Musselburgh, Catterick on the flat and Perth, Plumpton, Cartmel and Stratford over jumps. Often courses that have sharp bends tend to suit the handy horses. http://www.allaboutbetting.co.uk/horseracing/flatcourses/flatcourses-a-c.html
This is what i,m looking for,thanks.When the flat season begin perhaps i,ll open a thread where i,ll put my front runner selections .

Re: Front running

I'd be wary of front-runners going next to Wolverhampton. In fact, you would be better off laying them: Course Winners Total Sr Yield Totlaying Wolverhampton (aw) 56 329 0.829787234 0.23 £126.44
Obviously backing blindly all and everything is never a good idea I suppose. But there is clearly an advantage for horses that are up with the pace at Wolverhampton at the moment. That is at least my observation, watching all the race there - and backed a couple of horses successfully that made all or at least where up with the pace in the last couple of weeks. The short run-in and the extreme kick-back is the reason for it in my mind. Many trainers voiced there concerns about the surface in the last time too, mainly because the mentioned kick-back is just absolutely brutal right now.

Re: Front running Ponty is a course suited to prominent runners, definitely in sprints when a low draw can be a huge advantage but more so in a big field as they turn for home around the 2f pole. Comments of "led 2f out" or "led 1f out" are useful. You see a wide track like Doncaster and someone like Spencer or Hughes can hold a horse up for a late burst but try that at Ponty and you have no chance. It's a stiff uphill finish, it's undulating towards the final bend and if you are not front rank turning in for home you don't see many flying home late with a wet sail. If you do spot one finishing like a train around there it's worth noting them for when they run at a different track.

Re: Front running I don't know what the stats are but given the huge inside draw bias at Chester, I would imagine it pays to front run or at least be very prominent? I have fond memories of watching horses ping the gate from Stalls 1-4 at Chester and blow the field away.

Re: Front running Logically a turning track should suit front runners as it forces the field to go more slowly......horses can't run as fast round a bend as they can in a straight line Anything that causes the field to go more slowly should suit a front runner Soft or heavy ground Having only one front runner in the field who isn't pressed on the lead A small field........more chance of an uncontested lead and hold up horses get less cover Pace is usually the key........I try and identify two types of front runners. One would be the speedy front runner who needs to slow the pace from the front and turn the race into a 2 furlong sprint in which he starts at the front and therefore has less far to go than the horses behind him Second is the stamina front runner.......he'll generally get further than todays trip and will set a good clip all the way and try and run the legs off the field. I think this sort would be suited by an uphill finish It's always a matter of opinion though.......and assessing the evidence, like all form study. The horse has still got to act on the ground, act at the track, be happy in this class etc

Re: Front running Southwell on the Fibresand is very much suited to Front Runners, the kick back generated is massive. If you have backed a horse and it is not within the first three as they're coming into the straight you usually have absolutely no chance, hence why the Fanning/Johnston partnership has a pretty good record there.

Re: Front running Thanks for the reply robertob. I was just pointing out a theory of Peter May, that a horse front-running (he used "made-all" & "made virtually all" in the in-running comments to find candidates) at a particular course will do better when they then turn out for their next run at certain courses. I've just crunched the data for all courses and come up with certain courses that are Lays, Backs and No Bet.

Re: Front running Take a look on www.fracsoft.com You have to join, but it's free. Click on 'form sheet' and then any of the flat races and it'll tell you what percentage of front/midfield/behind runners win over that specific distance. There are also plenty of other links there that'll show you other stuff such as their likely running style. I think there's a treasure trove of info on that site that people overlook, so have a quick look.