** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Help - Enthusiasm needed

mowgli77

We are just a month away from Cheltenham and for the first time in years I'm not really that bothered. I've booked the week off work as usual but I've just struggled to get into the jumps season at all despite going to quite a few meetings with my racing pass. I started to get a bit bored of the sport towards the end of the jumps season and have not really found much enthusiasm for the jumps season at all. A dreadful list for the 10 to follow hasn't helped, I've hardly got any horses on a regular list to follow and there are loads of key races and festival trials that I haven't seen. I don't know if I feel saturated with possibly too much racing and it certainly isn't due to a losing streak as I hardly bet anymore unless it is the weekend or a major festival like the Dante, Ebor, Leger meetings etc. I check the results and try to check the following days runners each night but the names are all a blur and nothing much stands out. I don't know if taking my camera to racing is a hindrance, maybe Billyhills and Robertob know what I mean but sometimes it's hard to go there and try to get some decent photos and also take the betting seriously so a few times I've left the camera at home. I'm off to Kempton next weekend for the first time and really want to recapture the love I had for the sport. I often alternate my weekends between football (Bradford City season ticket - maybe that's depressing me) or horse racing and try get to a meeting every 2-3 weeks dependant on racing and football fixtures. I've looked through some of the main Cheltenham races and have no idea if some of the runners are any good, the names don't ring any bells in some races. Maybe I should get involved on here again more but I'm spending less time on forums in general, not just this one but the football ones too, finding if I have nothing to say then why bother posting. I just feel like I'm going through a phase of being a bit bored with racing and lacking enthusiasm which is sad as it has always been a sport I have loved, way back to horses like Halling, Bosra Sham, Pentire and some of my favourite jumps horses like My Way De Solzen, Voy Por Ustedes etc. Hoping to get some enthusiasm back before next weekend and try to get focused by March so I can enjoy Cheltenham like everyone else. I made myself watch the Irish racing on Sunday and quite enjoyed it, would have loved to see Tidal Bay win the Irish Hennessy. Anyone else had a phase where they were either bored with the sport, lacked enthusiasm and what did you do? :ok

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed I think the jumps have been a bit harder to follow this season because I cant really think of too many horses that have excited me and due to the weather and the racing schedule, a lot of them have steered clear from each other too. At least the big 3 over in Ireland have been racing each other but even they have the feel of an egg and spoon race. I have had occasions where I have been a little disillusioned with the sport but that's generally when I go through a quite spell on the betting side and I start losing my discipline so I either go through the results again and work out where I am going wrong or take a week or so off. Depending on how much time you have on your hands, maybe go through some of the flagship races and watch the videos of the main contenders before watching or listening to one of the many podcasts or youtube videos there are about. It tends to gee me up a bit because I think 'whats this tw*t going on about!' before slagging them all off before someone agrees with my opinion! :) If you do look at any, the best two I have seen/heard are the JP Festival videos and the Final Furlong Podcast, the latter of which is quite entertaining at times too. Depends on whether its your cup of tea though! Whatever happens, I'm sure the game will work its way back into your heart at some point before this the festival starts.

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed Maybe you are losing or just need a break? I take January off every year as in the past I have found it to be a month for the bookies. It works as every year I come back with ammo and form in my head. February if you are selective offers as you know many trials and reading through the lines certain horses have to win to merit going to Cheltenham. Some do not but enough do to yield a profit! In relation to your situation, I'd say you need a break - just to forget it for a while? However long that break is depends on you? But usually after a break, you look forward to it even more. And a break means doing everything but backing horses! Good Luck

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed Yeah its hard to believe Cheltenham is just around the corner it been low key for me too not that excited about it if i,m really honest i think that is part due to it being low key here on the forum usually Bowlesy starting to put up trends etc for the different races by now he starts getting orgasms about cheltenham in December! I think also for me i,m changing from a jumps man to a flat man i,m really looking forward to the flat starting. Phil do you back much in other sports? Perhaps it may be worth laying off the horses for a while if your bored with it and try betting on other sports. I know Russ P was never into the jumps much but i don't think he posts that much when the flat is on now anyway, he seems to be much more into other sports now.

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed Ted, I don't think Phil was saying anything about the forum actually. (if you read it) He hasn't been on here himself for ages for various reasons. But i suppose you have to get a dig in when you can eh!! ;) We all know things are quiet everywhere but you cant blame us for people having a lack of enthusiasm for Cheltenham for christ's sake. Personally i cant wait, I'm going on the first day and it will feature the Supreme, Arkle, Champion Hurdle and Mares race!! Quevega, Hurricane Fly, The New One, Champagne Fever, Rock On Ruby, Jezki, Our Conor, My Tent Or Yours, Annie Power, Cockney Sparrow etc…... If you cant get excited about that then i'm at a loss. 4 weeks to go:ok

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed Why not just try a break, no point trying to search out an answer fella, if racing needs to be found further down the line in your life then am sure you'll find it. It doesn't matter what it is in life from food to sport, we all get a bit bored from time to time, a break can be a good thing, and am sure it will find you again and the passion will return. Cheltenham doesn't mean backing every race too, why not dig out a select amount of races, say 4 or 5 tops, focus on them and make your selections, those 4 or 5 races might just rekindle the fire. Just a thought. :ok

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed I think a lot of small fields on bad ground for weeks doesn't help the form experts. Lots of non competitive trials in England and Ireland. Everything points to one week in March nowadays where as the flat season has festivals throughout the season. Once its here everyone will be excited, don't worry about that.

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed

Ted, I don't think Phil was saying anything about the forum actually. (if you read it) He hasn't been on here himself for ages for various reasons. But i suppose you have to get a dig in when you can eh!! ;) We all know things are quiet everywhere but you cant blame us for people having a lack of enthusiasm for Cheltenham for christ's sake. Personally i cant wait, I'm going on the first day and it will feature the Supreme, Arkle, Champion Hurdle and Mares race!! Quevega, Hurricane Fly, The New One, Champagne Fever, Rock On Ruby, Jezki, Our Conor, My Tent Or Yours, Annie Power, Cockney Sparrow etc…... If you cant get excited about that then i'm at a loss. 4 weeks to go:ok
You have totally taken what i said the wrong way and interpreted wrongly.

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed Sorry about that Ted, must have read it wrong. Anyway, just one slight correction if i may; Your quote

If i,m really honest i think that is part due to it being low key here on the forum usually Bowlesy starting to put up trends etc for the different races by now
Quote from Bowles last year;
Normally do around 22 of the 27 races, should all be up the night before each day

Winning helps though Graham! I am looking forward to Cheltenham too and then Punchestown (usually easier to pick winners)
Cant say i get involved with Punchestown much to be honest Joe, think its the unknown of so many runners for me and i get biased towards the English form too much. I'll follow you :ok

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed My experience. I enjoy the jumps more as a spectacle. After 2 to 4 miles horses battling it out against each other really earns my admiration. On a betting front I don't really enjoy backing jumpers it is easy to hide behind the handicapper whereas the flat is there for all to see. In essence a close race in the jumping always impresses me but there is only one meeting all the training yards want to play for whereas the flat is less exciting to the eye but more punter friendly.

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed i think we are all guilty of that one at some point ................I love my racing ..........I love getting stuck in and rating the form and going to the races ..........but there are times when you just lose interest or a long run of losers just kills your enthusiasm ..........I think when that happens ..........you just need to step back and just have a break ..............ive done it myself a few times ..........just forget about racing for a while or changing tack can sometimes help .................if your used to say just rating form .............try something different .......maybe class or something like that ............the change can sometimes reignite your interest ...........but you have to realise its just a natural part of being involved in horse racing .................like any other hobby .............dancing ....cooking .......if you do it enuf sooner or later you just get up and say ........you know what ...today I cor be arsed ..........in fact I want a rest ................but once you've had a rest ......the fire returns ...........usually a big race meet or the grand national will trigger it off ..........and then your back in the mix .............just part of the ebb and flow of being a punter

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed It is easy to get side-tracked Phil, life events take over some times. But horse racing is embedded in your heart, it may be gone now but it won't be long before you crave it all again! I think this years festival is one of the most competitive I have seen for a long time, the Queen Mother is actually going to be competitive, as is the Champion Hurdle, World Hurlde and Gold Cup.. There is normally much more hype about the Supreme than there is this year though, although it is very competitive, does it lack a few really good english horses? Anyways once we hear that Cheltenham roar, it will be hard not to get excited.

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed It's probably down to that tosser that you go racing with:p Actually I quite often feel the same way & this is what I wrote in my own thread just a few weeks back...

Having started out in the mid 70's mixing flat & jumps pretty much evenly by the time I'd arrived in the 90's I was almost exclusively betting on turf flat racing. As the flat wound up I used to slip into virtual hibernation as the jumps kicked in, briefly poking my nose out at Xmas & then back to sleep again until Cheltenham, I'm not a fan of the all weather although I don't mind going. The jumps season is skewed to Cheltenham, perhaps not as much as it was & with Aintree now emerging as a proper festival in it's own right it has helped a little but basically the whole thing still revolves around what's now four days in mid March. Most of the racing that leads up to it is based on Saturdays & a great deal of the more valuable contests are handicaps, there are small pockets of Grade 1 conditions events but these usually attract small fields because the main protagonists dance round each other, avoiding clashes until the festival. The jumps season doesn't seem to have the flow that the flat does, the various trails leading down several paths, the classic trail, Sprinters, middle distance & staying paths that lead to the generations coming together. There's more mid week quality racing, it doesn't have that stop start feel that the jumps have which can feel even worse if the bad weather arrives.
I think that bit in your first paragraph should read "bored with the sport towards the end of the flat" I always find that part of the year the worst, grey days & getting dark early loom & because of the way the jumps season is set up the only decent racing is on Saturdays, it clashes with the football & if you do get to go you can be stood getting wet, freezing your nuts off, watching them run around a ploughed field & if you don't get a run out of what you've backed it gets you down. I've just been in the garden & my daffodils are just starting to poke through, things are beginning to stir again, lovely. What we need is for it to dry up a bit before next weekend:hope Are you going to Coventry (Northampton) or do you fancy Haydock? Chin up Rio (tosser)

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed Take a break. Sounds like you are a bit fed up with the game at the moment. That's absolutely okay. Happens to us all from time to time I think. I was completely fed up with the game towards the end of October when the flat season ended and my betting was "sh*t. I just let it all go for a while, couldn't dare to watch any racing at all and concentrated on other things. It was a one and half month long break from racing, really refreshing. BUT if you take a break you will reach a point - if you love the sport and I'm sure you definitely do - that you wanna go back, want to watch the races, when you feel the excitement again. Well, that's the way it worked for me. Late December I was finally burning again to watch as much racing as possible, go through the forms etc.. The fun was back. And that's what really matters, doesn't it? You mentioned a really interesting point: "I don't know if taking my camera to racing is a hindrance, maybe Billyhills and Robertob know what I mean but sometimes it's hard to go there and try to get some decent photos and also take the betting seriously so a few times I've left the camera at home." From my perspective I think it really depends what you expect and want when you go racing. If you want to go for the serious betting, then to try to get photos is probably difficult. Your mind will and should be focused on the betting side of the game. Personally I go racing for the fun of it. I know it's extremely hard to make a profit when betting at the track, so I don't even dare to try and rather enjoy the day out, the atmosphere, the horses, the sport itself. Taking photos, having a camera with me helps to absorb as much as possible. I love it. That's for what I go racing and don't sit in front of the TV - The pure enjoyment of a day out at the races. Seeing these beautiful animals in flesh. Serious betting is for me at home in front of the TV on the other hand. To distinguish in this drastic way really helps me to keep my love and passion for the sport even if everything goes wrong. But from time to time a break is well needed. So if you feel bored and fed up at the moment, just give it a break and whenever you feel ready to come back you'll do so and you will love it again. :ok

. Personally i cant wait, I'm going on the first day and it will feature the Supreme, Arkle, Champion Hurdle and Mares race!! Quevega, Hurricane Fly, The New One, Champagne Fever, Rock On Ruby, Jezki, Our Conor, My Tent Or Yours, Annie Power, Cockney Sparrow etc…... If you cant get excited about that then i'm at a loss. 4 weeks to go:ok
Should be some day!!! Will be going myself, just found the tickets in the post this morning... now it feels real and close... roll on March!

I think the jumps have been a bit harder to follow this season because I cant really think of too many horses that have excited me and due to the weather and the racing schedule, a lot of them have steered clear from each other too. At least the big 3 over in Ireland have been racing each other but even they have the feel of an egg and spoon race. I have had occasions where I have been a little disillusioned with the sport but that's generally when I go through a quite spell on the betting side and I start losing my discipline so I either go through the results again and work out where I am going wrong or take a week or so off. Depending on how much time you have on your hands, maybe go through some of the flagship races and watch the videos of the main contenders before watching or listening to one of the many podcasts or youtube videos there are about. It tends to gee me up a bit because I think 'whats this tw*t going on about!' before slagging them all off before someone agrees with my opinion! :) If you do look at any, the best two I have seen/heard are the JP Festival videos and the Final Furlong Podcast, the latter of which is quite entertaining at times too. Depends on whether its your cup of tea though! Whatever happens, I'm sure the game will work its way back into your heart at some point before this the festival starts.
I watched a few of those JP Festival videos last week, not bad. I'm thinking of trying to get to one or two of the festival previews, including the one at Donny but not sure I can face going to the one at Elland Road, would need to wipe my feet on the way out and have several showers when I got home. :) Some of these small field races bore me, they are not competitive and I have no interest in backing horses at odds of 1-6 like when I saw Annie Power at Doncaster.
Maybe you are losing or just need a break? I take January off every year as in the past I have found it to be a month for the bookies. It works as every year I come back with ammo and form in my head. February if you are selective offers as you know many trials and reading through the lines certain horses have to win to merit going to Cheltenham. Some do not but enough do to yield a profit! In relation to your situation, I'd say you need a break - just to forget it for a while? However long that break is depends on you? But usually after a break, you look forward to it even more. And a break means doing everything but backing horses! Good Luck
Cheers. It isn't due to losing as I am not even betting most of the time and it is more of a lack of interest in the sport than the betting side of it. I usually have a list of about 20-25 horses to follow through a season that keeps changing and that usually keeps me interested and gives me a reason to check the 24 hr declarations. My 10 to follow has horses like Simonsig that I was really looking forward to seeing but so many of my favourites have got injured (Sir Des Champs being another).
Ted, I don't think Phil was saying anything about the forum actually. (if you read it) He hasn't been on here himself for ages for various reasons. But i suppose you have to get a dig in when you can eh!! ;) We all know things are quiet everywhere but you cant blame us for people having a lack of enthusiasm for Cheltenham for christ's sake. Personally i cant wait, I'm going on the first day and it will feature the Supreme, Arkle, Champion Hurdle and Mares race!! Quevega, Hurricane Fly, The New One, Champagne Fever, Rock On Ruby, Jezki, Our Conor, My Tent Or Yours, Annie Power, Cockney Sparrow etc…... If you cant get excited about that then i'm at a loss. 4 weeks to go:ok
I want to get excited about it but I've missed watching loads of racing. I've got racing uk and I bet I watch it once a week if that, thinking of cancelling it after Cheltenham. It feels almost like I've had a break and haven't really been into it as much as I should have and now it feels like I'm playing catch up before the festival. I've enjoyed some of the races such as the Betfair Chase Day at Haydock but some of the midweek stuff doesn't interest me at all and gives me no reason to keep an eye on it. Maybe I should have followed novice chasers like when you follow novice hurdlers as I prefer chases and that would give me an interest and a focus on developing my own ratings, certainly something to consider but I know it needs a lot of time and effort too.
Why not just try a break, no point trying to search out an answer fella, if racing needs to be found further down the line in your life then am sure you'll find it. It doesn't matter what it is in life from food to sport, we all get a bit bored from time to time, a break can be a good thing, and am sure it will find you again and the passion will return. Cheltenham doesn't mean backing every race too, why not dig out a select amount of races, say 4 or 5 tops, focus on them and make your selections, those 4 or 5 races might just rekindle the fire. Just a thought. :ok
That's definitely the plan, focus on the main races and spend some time on the handicaps but if I don't have a clue about those races I'll just watch them and enjoy the race, no need for a bet in it if I have no strong opinion on the runners.
It's probably down to that tosser that you go racing with:p Actually I quite often feel the same way & this is what I wrote in my own thread just a few weeks back... I think that bit in your first paragraph should read "bored with the sport towards the end of the flat" I always find that part of the year the worst, grey days & getting dark early loom & because of the way the jumps season is set up the only decent racing is on Saturdays, it clashes with the football & if you do get to go you can be stood getting wet, freezing your nuts off, watching them run around a ploughed field & if you don't get a run out of what you've backed it gets you down. I've just been in the garden & my daffodils are just starting to poke through, things are beginning to stir again, lovely. What we need is for it to dry up a bit before next weekend:hope Are you going to Coventry (Northampton) or do you fancy Haydock? Chin up Rio (tosser)
Going racing with you has been a huge positive, certainly not a negative. I have previously gone on my own, sat in the Fox and Roman on my own with half a coke reading the Racing Post before spending a day at the course on my own. Doesn't really bother me but it's good to go racing with another racing fan and to have a 2nd opinion. I've also got plenty of use from the card and plan on renewing it this week if they'll let me do it over the phone/by email. Some of the awful uncompetitive stuff we've watched has been boring and some of the results leave you scratching your head. I'll let you know about Saturday but doubt I'll be going to the footy. If City were in a 2 runner race we'd be tailed off by 25 lengths.
Take a break. Sounds like you are a bit fed up with the game at the moment. That's absolutely okay. Happens to us all from time to time I think. I was completely fed up with the game towards the end of October when the flat season ended and my betting was "sh*t. I just let it all go for a while, couldn't dare to watch any racing at all and concentrated on other things. It was a one and half month long break from racing, really refreshing. BUT if you take a break you will reach a point - if you love the sport and I'm sure you definitely do - that you wanna go back, want to watch the races, when you feel the excitement again. Well, that's the way it worked for me. Late December I was finally burning again to watch as much racing as possible, go through the forms etc.. The fun was back. And that's what really matters, doesn't it? You mentioned a really interesting point: "I don't know if taking my camera to racing is a hindrance, maybe Billyhills and Robertob know what I mean but sometimes it's hard to go there and try to get some decent photos and also take the betting seriously so a few times I've left the camera at home." From my perspective I think it really depends what you expect and want when you go racing. If you want to go for the serious betting, then to try to get photos is probably difficult. Your mind will and should be focused on the betting side of the game. Personally I go racing for the fun of it. I know it's extremely hard to make a profit when betting at the track, so I don't even dare to try and rather enjoy the day out, the atmosphere, the horses, the sport itself. Taking photos, having a camera with me helps to absorb as much as possible. I love it. That's for what I go racing and don't sit in front of the TV - The pure enjoyment of a day out at the races. Seeing these beautiful animals in flesh. Serious betting is for me at home in front of the TV on the other hand. To distinguish in this drastic way really helps me to keep my love and passion for the sport even if everything goes wrong. But from time to time a break is well needed. So if you feel bored and fed up at the moment, just give it a break and whenever you feel ready to come back you'll do so and you will love it again. :ok
I've done more betting at the track in cash and less via my betting account because of the way a race can change with non runners, rule 4 deductions etc. I try to focus on races with about 8-10 runners normally and I like small fields but I can back one each way with 8 runners and then after a withdrawal it totally changes how I'd approach the race with only 2 places paid and I might opt for 2 win only bets instead. In an ideal situation I'd like to get my form study done the night before, get my bets on and then enjoy the racing and be able to get some photos while I'm there. The ground changes constantly though and the going sticks seem so unreliable so I am doing some of my form study on the day based on conditions of the morning of the race, more so with the jumps, as good to soft or soft can be a huge difference. I agree with you about seeing the animals in the flesh etc and that's one of the main reasons I love going to the races. It is firstly about the sport rather than the betting. I could watch racing all day and not have a bet and getting to some stable visits last year was something new for me but very enjoyable and something I'll do again.

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed Mowgli. I have always enjoyed your contributions and look forward to reading your opinions. You may or may not know from other posts that i work in a bookies and you are far from alone in your current state or lacking enthusiasm as i see it reflected in many of my punters, i shall offer you the same advice that i give them and this is true not only of gambling but all things in life in general. This is supposed to be fun, if it isnt, why keep doing it? Life is too short to waste time and money on something that isnt giving you any enjoyment and we only get the one shot at this game of life. It may be you are burnt out and after some time away the desire and passion returns, maybe not. Thats all i have to add really. Be happy Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Catch up soon Phil. Are you going to the Manton Open day again? We were on about it the other day, its at the end of August isn't it? Hoping to get to see Monets again like you did last year. Cheers mate, keep in touch:ok
Yes, I'll probably go to the Malton Open Day again with Whoneedsrio. If you and Suzy fancy it let us know and we'll arrange something. We weren't aware that some of the main stables such as David O'Meara and Tim Easterby were not on the bus route and you had to make your own way there but they closed earlier than the other stables. You need to go Easterby, O'Meara and then into Malton ideally to get around them all. :ok

I have previously gone on my own, sat in the Fox and Roman on my own with half a coke reading the Racing Post before spending a day at the course on my own.
You should have got in touch mate! I was probably doing the same at the other side of the pub! ;) Just from the other side of things, I'm currently on a break that's not really my doing - works dead busy, I'm training for London marathon and having the little nipper now means I get bugger all time for any meaningful study so it's best not to bother. Will probably have a dabble at Cheltenham but that's probably it. However, this means I am completely champing at the bit to get back and am doing lots of thinking, planning and reading tit bits (that's not a mucky mag btw) so a break can definitely help. Good luck pal. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.s. Sorry to hijack but is the Malton open day any good? Is it worth a trip? Only 15 mins for me. Went to Malc Jeffo's open day last year which was good. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Malton Open Day was great for £10. Plenty of stables to visit, buses every 15 mins or so, well set up and definitely worth a visit. Fahey's yard was pretty good but his horses are vicious buggers, about 3 of them tried to bite me whereas at John Quinn's yard the horses were relaxed and friendly.

Re: Help - Enthusiasm needed I've really struggled this season which is strange because I normally love the jumps but for me it's been a vicious circle really as my uni work/life dominated (no regrets whatsoever about that!) and once you're out of the loop it's hard to get back into it. There have been occasions I've tried...even today (as there's been no football to interest me) I had a glance at the cards but because I don't know the horses too well and haven't watched as much racing (I've still seen bits and pieces) it makes form studying a hell of a lot harder. Factor in that I don't have as much of an affinity to many horses at the moment and it's just a bit unappetising for me. I am kind of glad to have taken a break in hindsight even if it's just sort of happened and continued without much thought. I'm sure the bug will bite back and I'll definitely be taking a look at Cheltenham...perhaps it'll be the spark to reignite things. I guess it's like anything really, even for a small number of years, being swamped by the same thing every single day pretty much is going to take its toll eventually and some time out to recharge the batteries and look at other things in life is useful. I feel none the worse for it, yet am sure I can accommodate racing back into life in the near future. So basically, I'd say, if it feels like a chore or whatever, take a step back, do some other things and what enticed you in the first place will likely draw you back. Then you've potentially achieved something different in the meantime and can enjoy the experience again when the time's right. Hope everyone's well, anyway!