McCririck

See this morning's papers. Firstly, I've always appreciated the outspoken opinions of JM. Sure, some things he says are out of line, but he's generally on our side. He seemed to become increasingly borish towards the end, eg saying Sam Waley Cohens Long Run should have a "proper jockey" on board. Even dear Tanya seemed to get tired of him calling Nick Luck Lord Snooty. But this £3M payout he wants for "age discrimination" is ridiculous. He says he fighting fore every sacked oldie. TV presenters are generally on a contract, ie not company employees - so at any time the bosses can say: "We are not renewing your contract; or we'll pay you to the end of your contract; go now". Is he really doing this for the money, or to prove a point, or some kind of personal vanity ? I don't think age has anything to do with his removal from Ch4. I don't hear about Francome or Lesley Graham complaing. By the way, after a nervous start, I think Graham is doing a good job.

Re: McCririck absolute madness isn't it personally being the age he was, he was lucky to be in a paid job, he probably hasn't got a pension so now ****ting a brick !! he does things for effect and its just a waste of money of you ask me. If he has a contract, then surely he can produce it and will win. I doubt he has.

Re: McCririck I know some say he's the punters pal etc but the way he would bang on about the whip ban was ridiculous and did more harm than good to racing. Frankie Boyle made a comment on Twitter saying something along the lines of they got rid of him because he's a dick rather than because of his age and Wilson Renwick replied and said Frankie knows the score. I don't think he was well liked within racing, whether it be jockeys, trainers etc and racing needs to move on. He just used to stand there doing his tic tac that no one cares about anymore and rambling like a madman. I had no time for him the same way he had no time for punters and I'm glad he's gone, arrogant buffoon. Was an absolute knob at York when a few people were politely asking for photos and autographs. Failed bookie like Statto too wasn't he?

Re: McCririck yes he was a failed bookie in the 60's & early 70's, then got into tv and was involved with itv when they had the saturday coverage thru the seventies (itv7 etc) C4 gave him an income for a long time, and what is he, 75 ish? having a well paid job at that age would be a luxury 99% of us would love. He is rude and arrogant, say no more!! He even went into Big Brother to earn more money, i think he is just trying it on again here

Re: McCririck

yes he was a failed bookie in the 60's & early 70's, then got into tv and was involved with itv when they had the saturday coverage thru the seventies (itv7 etc) C4 gave him an income for a long time, and what is he, 75 ish? having a well paid job at that age would be a luxury 99% of us would love. He is rude and arrogant, say no more!! He even went into Big Brother to earn more money, i think he is just trying it on again here
That article that I think was in The Guardian said he was working for ATR and getting £2,000 a day. :loon 2k for that fat oaf. Ridiculous.

Re: McCririck I thought he was amusing and entertaining until he poked his nose into the whip business and he kept it up until jockey morale was at rock bottom. Being on television and outspoken gave him a high profile and once that was taken away his income started to dwindle. He is still on ATR which doesn't have as high a profile A 3 million settlement which is what he wants just shows you how ridiculous he is. I have no sympathy for him as a result of his ignorant crusade on the use of the whip and channel 4 even though they cited different reasons were right to ethanise him from our screens. I hope the media and other tv stations follow suit. It is time he was put into a home until he is ready to push up the daisies. I'm sick of him!

Re: McCririck Not a fan of him either, £2000 a day as well for ATR? I'd love the opportunity to work in a similar role and would do it for £20 if I could afford too, one of the best things to happen in racing getting him off Channel 4 in my opinion! As mowgli mentioned above, he used to love a bit of the tic tac in the 'betting jungle', fair enough he's old school and it's how he probably remembers it, but pretty sure half the racegoers nowadays would think it's some old fella whos had one too many drinks the way he would wave his hands about.

Re: McCririck Age is always wheeled out as the excuse. Like all performance based roles, there's always the more likely option, as many have noted, that he just wasn't good enough. Also, I know it's not a reason to sack someone, but there comes a point where new faces need brought in to keep it fresh, exciting, and most importantly, relatable to the modern audience. Lose what's left of them, and watch the sport loved by generations drop dead through forlorn efforts to save dinosaurs like McCririck. Sure I heard him mention Lammtarra the other day. Unless you're well plumbed into racing, if you weren't alive, you've no idea about it. As irrelevant as the price of fish to the dairy farm.

Re: McCririck Yes its time Big Mac was put out to pasture but at least he highlighted the action in the betting ring. The battle between the bookies and the punters is often more interesting than the racing itself. The shrewdies placing the big bets, bookies going home with empty satchels or bulging ones. ATR dont show any of this, just commercials right up to the off time when most of the betting moves are. Perhaps exchanges have killed the betting ring now and someone like McCririck is surplus to requirements.