FRANKEL

Re: FRANKEL

happened to bump into someone last night who i know is mainly a NH fan (like me really) His view was that some of the superlatives have been over done as he never competed in the recognised classics. IE the Derby and the Arc
Dont you have a view then Harris? So ask your jumps mate this, if Sprinter Sacre wins everything at 2m this season and next does it mean he cant be called a great racehorse bacause he never won the Blue Riband Gold Cup? We both know he will never run in the GC because he wont stay 3m2f, same for Frankel, he's not a 12f horse so why would he run in the Derby or the Arc?? Its like saying Black Caviar is not a legend because he hasn't won the Melbourne Cup down under. Utter claptrap tell him.

Re: FRANKEL On another note, does anyone think the health of Sir Henry had anything to do with retiring the horse now? I suspect the owner wouldnt want anyone else to train Frankel and Henry isnt up to any flights to America and to be honest we will be very lucky to see him back in full health at all. I reckon he will retire soon as well. I believe it definitely had a bearing on when the plug was pulled, they are very much a partnership.

Re: FRANKEL Sadly BH, I think that now that Frankel's career is over, I fear Sir Henry won't last much longer. He's even admitted himself that the horse has helped give him drive in the really tough times as he wanted to be there for Frankel, but now what is his main motivation? It's such a great thing that this is now how Sir Henry will be remembered, rather than the wally that famously remarked about him in 05 that Cecil should have retired years ago. The guy is a racing legend, full stop.

Re: FRANKEL The middle distance classics that year were trash anyway. Possibly unfair on Pour Moi as he was probably 4 lengths better than the Derby field, but the rest were no great shakes. That's a good point Fin, was always a matter of how far the jockey let him win by. He never came under pressure on the merit of another horse. Nothing ever got him off the bridle.

Re: FRANKEL I would have loved to have seen Black Cavair & Frankel race against each other over an easy 7f at a track somewhere in the middle of GB & Oz really don't think we seen anything near the best of BC at Royal Ascot, now that would be a cracker imo with a full house at the track with millions watching around the world. I would chalk up odds of 8/13 Frankel & BC 6/4.

Re: FRANKEL

happened to bump into someone last night who i know is mainly a NH fan (like me really) His view was that some of the superlatives have been over done as he never competed in the recognised classics. IE the Derby and the Arc
Totally agree , nobody is saying he's not one of the greats , its just sad that we never got the opportunity to see the ceiling of his limits. I recon he would have been just as good if not better over 1m4f. Another 300 odds yards. , would he have stayed it ? His older and younger brother won black type at this distance , Frankel would have too. I think the connections didn't want to take the risk and see him beat for one reason or another , rather then connections doubting his ability over 1m4f.

Re: FRANKEL The only disappointing thing to me is that they never decided on taking Frankel to the Breeders Cup. I'm sure he would have lit up the USA too. I think the health of Sir Henry is the main reason behind it too. I don't think we'll see much more of Sir Henry, as already said above, Frankel has probably kept him going and fighting his illness, maybe the fight will end when Frankel leaves the yard. Sir Henry was the first trainer I ever backed as a young lad after a old fella in the bookies says to me "Henry Cecil, he doesn't send horses to Ripon for nothing". I had a few quid on his runner which hacked up and I've had an affinity with him ever since. Don't think I've not backed one of his classic winners over the years. He's had his problems over the years and I wondered if he'd ever come back from some of the lows, especially losing Mohammed hosres, but he did and it's probably written in the stars that it ends this way. True Legend.

Re: FRANKEL Incredible horse and as many have already said.........''its the best we have been given the pleasure of watching'' however i found it a touch boring, but its just my opinion and being a jumps fan i much prefer the chasers and i prefer when the underdog wins, but again, he was a STUNNING horse and it was a STUNNING training performance from Sir Henry.