QPR v Tottenham - April 21st

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617] [TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn, align: left]Queens Park Rangers v Tottenham Hotspur (17:30 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.3[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.75[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]99.92 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: QPR v Tottenham - April 21st I think this is yet another potential banana skin for Spurs, would favour QPR on a plus handicap right now. Home form is all they have at this point, and I suspect they'll play Spurs as they did us....get loads of players back behind the ball, press the nearest player in possession, wait for chances to counter. Spurs have been on a truly shocking run of form, their players look shot to me. It's a must win for them really but I'd need to see an upturn in form before backing them.

Re: QPR v Tottenham - April 21st

I think this is yet another potential banana skin for Spurs, would favour QPR on a plus handicap right now. Home form is all they have at this point, and I suspect they'll play Spurs as they did us....get loads of players back behind the ball, press the nearest player in possession, wait for chances to counter. Spurs have been on a truly shocking run of form, their players look shot to me. It's a must win for them really but I'd need to see an upturn in form before backing them.
It's rare I'd aver agree with a gooner but on this occasion, totally. Tottenham are so overrated it defies belief, average players, average manager, theyve only scored in (not including Wembley final) one of their last 6 Aways and even then got smashed 5-2 by you know who. Redknapp for England manager still ? Only a fool could argue the case for that based on his recent record in charge of a "club" side. :rollin This is a manager who has only taken 6 points from the last 24 available in the league, thats relegation and/or sacking form for most managers. This is a man who let a defender wear gloves in a Wembley final which was lost 5-1, in April, on the same sunny afternoon that I was gardening without the aid of such attire. I suppose it could have been a way of deflecting attention away from the players truly pathetic hairstyle, or the eagerly anticapted latest double pike and tuck from Bale. I feel Redknapp would be best left on the shelf. Tottenham's position in the league says more about the rest of the vastly overated Premier League rather than themselves. I can not imagine this will be a Tottenham win, the Odds for QPR at 4.2 look very appealing, or a Lay on Tottenham at around Evens. Need to look at all the options a bit harder but this looks strongly in favour of the R's to me.

It's rare I'd aver agree with a gooner but on this occasion, totally. Tottenham are so overrated it defies belief, average players, average manager, theyve only scored in (not including Wembley final) one of their last 6 Aways and even then got smashed 5-2 by you know who. Redknapp for England manager still ? Only a fool could argue the case for that based on his recent record in charge of a "club" side. :rollin .
I disagree with this. Spurs have one of the better squad of players in the league, and Redknapp is a top manager (not the best tactical manager out there) backed up by two of the best tacticians in British football, in Kevin Bond and Joe Jordan. I think it's fair to say they've struggled with the added pressure of being a title challenger. If we cast our minds back to earlier in the season they were looking very good, keeping clean sheets, and being very resolute away from home. The we had all the talk of a possible title challenge. Since then things have gone south. I don't think 'Arry helped anyone by suggesting they could win the league. I'd also suggest that the EPL is a hard league to compete in, and there are no easy games for anyone, so it's tough for a team like Spurs attempting to jump into a position of dominance when faced with a lot of games against sides that are all looking for points and are all scrapping for every ball.

I disagree with this. Spurs have one of the better squad of players in the league' date=' and Redknapp is a top manager (not the best tactical manager out there) backed up by two of the best tacticians in British football, in Kevin Bond and Joe Jordan. I think it's fair to say they've struggled with the added pressure of being a title challenger. If we cast our minds back to earlier in the season they were looking very good, keeping clean sheets, and being very resolute away from home. The we had all the talk of a possible title challenge. Since then things have gone south. I don't think 'Arry helped anyone by suggesting they could win the league. I'd also suggest that the EPL is a hard league to compete in, and there are no easy games for anyone, so it's tough for a team like Spurs attempting to jump into a position of dominance when faced with a lot of games against sides that are all looking for points and are all scrapping for every ball.[/quote'] Based on recent results Spurs clearly don't have "two of the best tacticians" and "one of the better squads in the league," otherwise such a combination would have produced a goal in more than one of their last six away matches, its not actually "that" hard to score a goal in a game of football is it ? Even Wolves have scored in 8 of their last 10 away games and look where they are. Wolves are the only team below Tottenham in the form table over the last 8 matches. Tottenham : 8 : 1, 3, 4, For 8, Against 13 "Two of the best tacticians" should be able to muster more than 6 points from 24. I'm sorry Jase but these words are meaningless excuses that apply to everyone in the same competition : "I'd also suggest that the EPL is a hard league to compete in, and there are no easy games for anyone, so it's tough for a team like Spurs attempting to jump into a position of dominance when faced with a lot of games against sides that are all looking for points and are all scrapping for every ball" I don't think you want to hear a bad word connected with Harry based on his achievements at Portsmouth, but the reality is Tottenham are incredibly average and their recent results way below such.

Re: QPR v Tottenham - April 21st Another London derby. Both sides are in similar form. Spurs will be desparate to get their season back on track after being humiliated by Chelsea in the FA Cup last Sunday. Newcastle and Chelsea are on their tails, but if they get a few wins they can still finish 3rd or 4th. QPR are also desparate for points, and recently they have out-performed against top sides like Arsenal. Overall, I think QPR need the points a bit more here, and might fight harder to get them. Their odds look a bit too long at 4.2.

Based on recent results Spurs clearly don't have "two of the best tacticians" and "one of the better squads in the league," otherwise such a combination would have produced a goal in more than one of their last six away matches, its not actually "that" hard to score a goal in a game of football is it ? Even Wolves have scored in 8 of their last 10 away games and look where they are. Wolves are the only team below Tottenham in the form table over the last 8 matches. Tottenham : 8 : 1, 3, 4, For 8, Against 13 "Two of the best tacticians" should be able to muster more than 6 points from 24. I'm sorry Jase but these words are meaningless excuses that apply to everyone in the same competition : "I'd also suggest that the EPL is a hard league to compete in, and there are no easy games for anyone, so it's tough for a team like Spurs attempting to jump into a position of dominance when faced with a lot of games against sides that are all looking for points and are all scrapping for every ball" I don't think you want to hear a bad word connected with Harry based on his achievements at Portsmouth, but the reality is Tottenham are incredibly average and their recent results way below such.
You can't base your assumptions on just a small portion of games though, can you? There's a reason for everything, and all I'm doing is trying to reason the recent slump in form :) Writing a manager off after a slight bad run is a bit over reactionary. I've never said I think Harry Redknapp is the best manager of all time, anywhere. I think he lacks a bit of tactical ability, which is why he tends to keep things simple, but what he does do is get the best out of his players, and he also surrounds himself with good men. You do seem to take your findings from a small portion. That IMO will not produce conclusive results.

You do seem to take your findings from a small portion. That IMO will not produce conclusive results.
Sadly Jase the portion from which I've quoted their form is at the most important time of the season, the latter part. The longer a season goes on when there is so much at stake and so much opportunity for success, the best teams show their true worth. The nearer Tottenham have got to any real meaningful achievements the further they have drifted away from them. That has, and continues to, prove conclusive results, they are not good enough.

Re: QPR v Tottenham - April 21st Tottenham are playing poor at the moment and have won only 3 out of their last 10 games and these wins were against Stevenge, Bolton and Swansea and all wins came at White Heart Lane. Moreover, they are without a win in their last 7 away games. QPR are neither good nor bad, but they do play decent football against top sides at home. They only lost to both Manchester teams, while managed to beat Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and drew against Newcastle and Everton. I can see Rangers wining here, but just in case will take some insurance. QPR DNB @ 3.00 (4 units) William Hill

Sadly Jase the portion from which I've quoted their form is at the most important time of the season' date=' the latter part. The longer a season goes on when there is so much at stake and so much opportunity for success, the best teams show their true worth. [/quote'] Oh... so that means that Wigan is also one of the ''best teams'' in the leage because they have won 4 of the last 5 games (including games against Arsenal, United, Liverpool) in the end of the season when it's most important time. :wall Look at the bigger picture and not on small portion of games. And somehow I didn't see you much of writing about Tottenham's ''average players'' and ''average manager'' in the period of 10.09-11.02 when they had 16 wins 5 draws and only 2 loss and was one of the best in-form teams in the whole league. Jase stated it perfectly about the pressure and yeah..... unfortunately they failed under it. Anyway, I am not saying that we should bet on Spurs in this game... odds doesn't look very appealing, but saying that Spurs is ''average team'' is just pure hating from the fan point of view.

Re: QPR v Tottenham - April 21st I do think Tottenham will pull through away at QPR this weekend. Results for over 8 weeks have turned away from spurs, but in most of the games played during that period Tottenham have outplayed the opposition with out reaping rewards. With Arsenal losing pace at Wigan on sunday and playing Chelsea this saturday it gives Tottenham a chance to regain 3rd spot, and im sure Harry will be on everyones backs after wembley. Also if you look at the reverse fixture (though tottenham were in a completely different vein of form) at WHL, Spurs gave one of their best performances of the season. 2-0 Spurs is my prediction with Bale to score anytime. - Tottenham at -1 is 11/5 at William Hill.

Re: QPR v Tottenham - April 21st I really think this could be a win for QPR. Having beaten both Arsenal and Liverpool at home, they've got great form at home. Spurs will be distraught and lacking in confidence after their 5-1 drubbing at Wembley and also fatigue must come into it? I'd be laying Spurs with all I have!

Re: QPR v Tottenham - April 21st I think if you have such strong feelings towards a particular team then it's not wise to bet on their games, Nervous Anorak's hatred of Tottenham is obviously clouding any possible reasonable view. Claiming it's ridiculous to say they have one of the best teams/squads in the league is in itself ridiculous, afterall they are 4th(having been 3rd for most of the season) for a reason, they weren't simply placed there and are now playing themselves out of it. The only team that are overrated/underpriced on a week-by-week basis is Liverpool. Having said of all that, if you're betting on value then I'd suggest QPR are the pick here, with three consecutive home wins(Arsenal/Liverpool/Swansea) they'll have pinpointed this game as one they'll need to win as I can't see them getting much from Chelsea and City away, not with their away form anyway. A reaction from Spurs is possible as they went through a similar situation two years ago after losing to Pompey in the Cup semi finals and looking like missing out on the top 4, but rallied and won most of their remaining games - against far tougher opposition than they have in the final 5 games this season. Unders could be a play here aswell if Redknapp decides to toughen up the midfield a little more with Sandro in alongside Parker, that coupled with a poor goal return from away games lately.

Re: QPR v Tottenham - April 21st Tottenham @ 1.96 pinnacle QPR have alternated wins and losses in their last 7 games, so they are due to win then after losing 1-0 to West Brom last week. Each of these 3 wins were at home beating Swansea, Arsenal and Liverpool, but Spurs present another tough challenge, and doubt that QPR have enough quality to match it here. Spurs have not played well and have drawn 3 and lost 3 of their last 6 away games, but banking on them lifting here, as another loss pretty much mean they cannot get 4th spot. Season record: 145-203 (-9.41)

Re: QPR v Tottenham - April 21st QPR vs Tottenham You have to feel sorry for QPR and Hughes abit. I don't know whats been wrong at QPR this season. All of the bottom clubs have been criticised by pundits though QPR seem to be pretty consistent in performances, but always just missing out. They have got some real good results at Loftus road, wins against Liverpool and Arsenal really were excellent, and a priceless 6 points. However, they have not been helped by Wigan, who found some Martinez magic to beat Arsenal and Liverpool... away from home. Other things have not helped. Cisse is a real donkey and his suspensions has not done his team any good. Dodgy penalties and red card to Derry against Manchester United was the last thing he needed, and on top of that look at all the players QPR and the owners have bought in to keep them in the Premier League. Some players simply haven't performed. Barton got some real stick before giving back some after scoring a goal. Macheda was a bit of a flop since coming from Manchester United. Tottenham on the other hand are still favourites to clinch the last champions League spot. However, with Newcastle level on points with them, they will need to win this game you feel. They have been rather poor in the league and are near the bottom of the form table. You cant afford to do that if you're fighting for a Champions League spot. The financial rewards of the Champions League are more than the famous 60m windfall of Premier League promotion, and is where all clubs want to be. Their defeat against Chelsea in the FA cup was a sour one, and was unlucky to be on the wrong end of a decision. However, now they can focus on the league, having given Chelsea more potential commitments in the future. I'd say Champions league qualification is better than winning the FA cup, nevermind progressing to the final. Both teams need the win, and 2 - 1 to either side covers a good range of potential results. The only thing that slightly annoys me was Tottenham's performance at Sunderland. Though O'Neill's tactics made it extremely difficult to score. At Loftus road, QPR will have to gamble harder for all 3 points. More dodgy England news has not helped the situation in my opinion, after Redknapp was backed midweek by board members. Though it shuldn't affect the goals market, as Tottenham can easily lose 2 - 1 here, after Arsenal and Liverpool fell here by similar scorelines of 2 - 1 and 3 - 2 respectively. Donkey Cisse is back from his holiday length ban, whilst Helguson returns in attack. Spurs have some defensive problems and doubts from their recent ventures, and the team news is in favour of overs. Over 2.5 1.830 188Bet 10/10

Re: QPR v Tottenham - April 21st Tottenham @ 2.00 - Paddy Power Tottenham will have the pressure of securing a Champions League position and considering their away form, with 22 scored and 21 conceded is similar to QPR's home form I'll be taking these odds. Tottenham are also very likely to score and QPR have only scored 2 or more goals in 10 games and had only 5 clean sheets all season which directs me towards either the draw or a Tottenham win.

Tottenham are playing poor at the moment and have won only 3 out of their last 10 games and these wins were against Stevenge, Bolton and Swansea and all wins came at White Heart Lane. Moreover, they are without a win in their last 7 away games. QPR are neither good nor bad, but they do play decent football against top sides at home. They only lost to both Manchester teams, while managed to beat Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and drew against Newcastle and Everton. I can see Rangers wining here, but just in case will take some insurance. QPR DNB @ 3.00 (4 units) William Hill
At least I won something today. Covered my losses from earlier games and made a small profit :)

I think if you have such strong feelings towards a particular team then it's not wise to bet on their games, Nervous Anorak's hatred of Tottenham is obviously clouding any possible reasonable view. Claiming it's ridiculous to say they have one of the best teams/squads in the league is in itself ridiculous, afterall they are 4th(having been 3rd for most of the season) for a reason, they weren't simply placed there and are now playing themselves out of it. The only team that are overrated/underpriced on a week-by-week basis is Liverpool. Having said of all that, if you're betting on value then I'd suggest QPR are the pick here, with three consecutive home wins(Arsenal/Liverpool/Swansea) they'll have pinpointed this game as one they'll need to win as I can't see them getting much from Chelsea and City away, not with their away form anyway. A reaction from Spurs is possible as they went through a similar situation two years ago after losing to Pompey in the Cup semi finals and looking like missing out on the top 4, but rallied and won most of their remaining games - against far tougher opposition than they have in the final 5 games this season. Unders could be a play here aswell if Redknapp decides to toughen up the midfield a little more with Sandro in alongside Parker, that coupled with a poor goal return from away games lately.
"Nervous Anorak's hatred of Tottenham is obviously clouding any possible reasonable view." Not obvious to many other punters as I called the game correctly even though I don't "hate" Tottenham as you suggest :rollin "The only team that are overrated/underpriced on a week-by-week basis is Liverpool." They rarely "lose" unlike Tottenham, and can usually be relied upon to score goals which is why their odds are set at those prices. "QPR will have pinpointed this game as one they'll need to win." And not the previous 34 ?

Tottenham @ 2.00 - Paddy Power Tottenham will have the pressure of securing a Champions League position and considering their away form, with 22 scored and 21 conceded is similar to QPR's home form I'll be taking these odds. Tottenham are also very likely to score and QPR have only scored 2 or more goals in 10 games and had only 5 clean sheets all season which directs me towards either the draw or a Tottenham win.
Josh, I try to help people here if I think they're overlooking things. Quote : Tottenham are also very likely to score You didn't look at recent Away form, only the overall numbers from the start of the season. Edit : I should also add that the bookmakers will often try to confuse you into thinking that a team is more likely to win than the other, by underpricing them to a degree whereby you go with what the bookies are telling you is clearly the one more likely. Such was the case today. Another classic example, the best of the season, was Palace v Birmingham.

Re: QPR v Tottenham - April 21st Ok, let's chill a bit here guys. ;) I agree saying Spurs are an average team with average players is a silly comment. All that has happened here is they are inexperienced as potential league winning team and mentally weren't up to the job. It's not so long ago Man Utd couldn't win the league because they were mentally weak too, and Leeds came back and smashed them. They then learned mentally how to win the title and have been incredible ever since. Spurs are a very good team, they just need to learn how to win when the pressure is at its highest.

Edit : I should also add that the bookmakers will often try to confuse you into thinking that a team is more likely to win than the other, by underpricing them to a degree whereby you go with what the bookies are telling you is clearly the one more likely. Such was the case today. Another classic example, the best of the season, was Palace v Birmingham.
I didnt make this quite as clear as I should have. Example : Bookmakers don't think Tottenham have a particularly good chance of winning the match so they Under price them at 1.83 (Corals shop coupon joke odds) to make the average punter think the likelihood of the game going the other way is slim, when in reality it isn't and they know it. They price QPR alot higher than the probability suggests to frighten people off. Result : Too many punters follow the crowd and back the team that have an appalling Away record in recent months because the bookies are inviting them to. It takes a lot of practice to be able to spot the games where this is happening, but once you've mastered it they do stand out. QPR at 4.1 or greater on Betfair, was exceptional value and to me they were the clear favourite if there was to be a winner in this match. I think the odds should have read something like H 2.3 / D 3.2 / A 3.0, which translates at 42% chance Home win, 31% Draw, 33% chance Away win which was being extremely generous to Tottenham imo, making up a 106% book.

I agree saying Spurs are an average team with average players is a silly comment. All that has happened here is they are inexperienced as potential league winning team and mentally weren't up to the job. Spurs are a very good team' date=' they just need to learn how to win when the pressure is at its highest.[/quote'] Not an arguement Paul, but just observations. Just seen the highlights which would suggest to me the comment wasn't silly at all, if anything it was generous. That was never a free kick for the goal to clear that up first of all, it was an excellent tackle. Referee Clattenburg was card happy and appalling, booked Mackie for perfectly good challenge on Ekotto who lost the ball through his own stupidity. Another dive from Tottenham "into" the box, never a booking for Tarabat, Hill booking pathetic decision, Tarabat sending off stunk. Meaningful chances on target for Tottenham seemed to account to a Bale header and nothing else from those highlights. As Alan Shearer said, and confirmed my exact opinion at the time, as soon as the goal went in the body language of a heads down Tottenham team already sensed defeat, it was blatantly obvious and not just isolated to one or two players. He also said the England rumours had no concern towards their appalling form so who are we to argue with either of those statements from someone of his experience ? The highlights of that Tottenham performance were that of a "well below" average team staring relegation straight in the face which is exactly what thier recent form suggests, not that of a team in 4th place. I can only report what I see and the statistical facts, if others don't share the same opinions then so be it, I have no particular dislike for Tottenham at all, what I do dislike though is the hype that surrounds them which can not be justified.

"Nervous Anorak's hatred of Tottenham is obviously clouding any possible reasonable view." Not obvious to many other punters as I called the game correctly even though I don't "hate" Tottenham as you suggest :rollin "The only team that are overrated/underpriced on a week-by-week basis is Liverpool." They rarely "lose" unlike Tottenham, and can usually be relied upon to score goals which is why their odds are set at those prices. "QPR will have pinpointed this game as one they'll need to win." And not the previous 34 ?
1. If you read my post then you'd see I said the value was with QPR and that I'd side with unders so it's not like I was doubting your picks, but every week in Tottenham match topics your posts hardly have an air of reasoning to them, it's just you saying how bad Spurs are and by the tone of your posts it's not farfetched to say you hate them or at the very least dislike them for whatever reason. 2. They rarely lose unlike Tottenham. Ok, let's see. Tottenham losses 9, Liverpool losses 11. Liverpool can be relied upon to score, that's funny because only 7 other teams in the League have scored less than them this season? 3. Of their remaining fixtures, the previous 34 are irrelevant at this point, they can't change them now. Ofcourse a team looks to take points in every game but they also know which games they're more likely to take them in than others.