Eurovision 2012

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re: Eurovision 2012 I'll be honest here... I actually enjoy a number of Eurovision songs from the years gone by, so often I'll just bet the songs that I like. Not really had an ear for picking the winners since 2008 though, so perhaps my tastes have evolved :lol. Just starting to go through the entrants but these are first impressions. Note - When Eurovision is over, all these opinions will probably look as daft and stupid as most of the contestants! Sweden 3.50 - Song is quite anthemic and could easily win. At current odds to win I'm not backing her though. Dima Bilan ($5) was quite possibly the most obvious winner in recent years and I was far more convinced back then than I am by this song. It is a very good song though. Strong chance but not sure if value. Italy 9.4 - I'd be very, very surprised if this wins. Foreign language songs can win, but France's entry last year was miles better. If that doesn't win not really convinced this can. Russia 12 - If the combined ages of the contestants were vote tallies than they'd have won already. Alas, it's not. Not sure 8 grandmothers is enough of a gimmick to win, but it is Russia, so they have of course many voting allies from the Soviet countries. Hard to see this song impressing any juries though, and if any other country had this entrant it would surely be 50-1 or higher. United Kingdom 15.5 - There used to be (still is?) a Junior Eurovision Song Contest. Is there now a Senior version too? With Russia and the UK you'd certainly think so. I personally wouldn't take this at 15.5, but IMO, this is potentially a winning song. It's not great, but it's not bad, but it does have the sound and tone of a song that does, from time to time, catch on with voters and go on to win. Would not be at all surprised if this wins. Serbia 16.5 - No. It's actually not a bad song at all IMO. But in the past 16 years, 16 different countries have won. Serbia won 5 years ago with a better song. Note -This might sound like really daft reasoning, and quite possibly it is. But I'm not backing Serbia. Denmark 18 - Type of song that could win, but not a performance that has me rushing to back her. It reminds me of countless other Scandanavian entries over the years that have all been decent and traded at these sorts of odds. A song I'm neither discounting nor backing. Spain 26 - Very good vocals IMO. Spain haven't won Eurovision in over 40 years, and whilst it's somewhat daft to suggest that winning Eurovision is something that you share around the nations, it's definitely something that I find (un)favourable. Spain is a qualification exempt nation though, and I think that this potentially hurts a song. Every winner except for Lena had to make it through to the semis, which means the people watching had probably seen it before. Not sure how big of a factor that really is? Undecided on whether to back, but a contender in my eyes (ears) Iceland 24 - This is a song that makes me less keen to rush to back Spain. This song, the visual performance, the choreography are all consistent with the type of song that could win Eurovision. The vocal performances come up a little short though, particularly the male. Germany 25 - It's not that bad a song, and I'm sure lots of teenage girls will like to vote for him, but with Iceland and Spain at the same odds, I find it impossible to back Germany. Ireland 26 - I'm not even going to listen to this song. I'm going to dismiss it based on the fact it's Jedward. Norway 28 - At these odds, how could anyone back Norway instead of Spain or Iceland? Didn't even finish listening to the song it was that underwhelming. Greece 40 - If Eurovision were decided on how much I wanted to **** the female singer, then this song would have a super chance. Sadly for Greece, it's not, and odds of 40 are about right. Romania 30 - I always love the Romanian entry, and it never wins. I think they've had a 3rd and 2 4ths in the past 5-6 years. It's not an outstanding song, but it has a visually interesting performance and I do think the song is quite catchy. Darkhorse. Cyprus 55 - A really corny song and performance, but it has a tiny bit of a darkhorse quality. Would be surprised if it wins but not to the point I'll dismiss it's chances. Turkey 75 - I'm not sure if Turkey is the nickname of the performer or the name of the country he's representing. That's about all the performances I have the inclination to watch right now, but they are the favourites.

Re: Eurovision 2012 Greece 40 - If Eurovision were decided on how much I wanted to **** the female singer, then this song would have a super chance. This is reason alone for me to google this song later. I shall return with my verdict, on both!

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Eurovision 2012 Just the one for me I feel: Iceland @ 23 Betfair Not a lock by any means but I like the elements of the performance. They will now sing in English, and in the video Jonsi's voice comes off quite strong. The song is a bit mysterious and the performance (at least when it was in Icelandic) was equally so. The violin in the middle may or may not help it, but I thought it adds a bit to the performance. Type of song that I think could be very hit or miss, but at 23s I see enough elements to this entry to think it could be a hit.

Re: Eurovision 2012 I've whacked some dosh on Sweden (anthemic as spud has said), it has a feel of the Rihanna "only girl in the world" song to it. Based on the polls on the net, this should win. The polls consistently place Greece & Cyprus 2nd & 3rd respectively with the grannies nowhere to be seen. I mugged up on the stats & some have samples in excess of 2,000, which IF they represented the general euro populus would give great confidence. The other factor which they don't replicate is the political voting. Has anyone seen a straight forecast market?

Re: Eurovision 2012 Going to go for an outsider, only heard about 4 songs and this one really caught my ear..........here goes........here is my vote..........10 points...........Belarus @ 175/1. What do i know about music...........what do jedward know about music.?

Re: Eurovision 2012 Anyone got a clue who actually won the 1st semi final?? There is betting, win and E/W on the semis but there doesnt seem to be an announcment who actualy won, just the qualifiers. Or have i actually missed something here? I had Russia to win with Sporting bet and the bet still remains unsettled. It seems they dont know either.

Re: Eurovision 2012 Obviously two of the most important factors when considering Eurovision are the draw (something like the of the last 8 winners only 1 has not performed in the last 8), and the number of neighbours they have to vote for them, but having found the time to look at every song, there are only a handful that stand out enough for me to actually go on and win the competition and these are: Ireland - Yes the Jedward boys song is catchy this year and they are crazy enough to stand out, with a great late draw (23) in the final they are in with a squeak. The only negative is who are the neighbours that will vote for them? 27.0 Betfair. Denmark - This is a really talented artist and a really good song, she wrote the song herself, and a very similar to one from another Scandinavian country (Sweden) came third last year. Not a bad draw at 15, but will it stand out enough? 29.0 Betfair Russia - For obvious reasons the grannies have a great chance with the public vote, they even have a story that they are competing to win money for their church that was destroyed by Stalin! The negative is clearly that they have been drawn 6. 7.4 Betfair Sweden - Great eurovision song, and they will get the Scandinavian vote, but how short are their odds? They haven't even been drawn yet. No value. 2.8 Betfair Ukraine - This is my rag. Last year I picked Azerbaijan, and this year for me it is Ukraine. If you listen to the songs it is a very current similar song to Sweden but comes from a country with more surrounding neighbours. They have finished in the top 4, 4 times in the last 8 years! To be currently trading at 65 on betfair seems a gift seen as they have a 40% chance of a late draw provided they survive tonights Semi Final. If they survive tonight they could be trading at half the price. The only negative I can find is that Poland are not competing this year, and that is usually their guaranteed 12 points, but I'm not sure if Poland are still voting on the final. Does anybody know? 65.0 Betfair

Re: Eurovision 2012

Spain 26 - Very good vocals IMO. Spain haven't won Eurovision in over 40 years, and whilst it's somewhat daft to suggest that winning Eurovision is something that you share around the nations, it's definitely something that I find (un)favourable. Spain is a qualification exempt nation though, and I think that this potentially hurts a song. Every winner except for Lena had to make it through to the semis, which means the people watching had probably seen it before. Not sure how big of a factor that really is? Undecided on whether to back, but a contender in my eyes (ears)
Great vocals from Pastora Soler, who's famous in Spain. Comes from a background of flamenco & has consistently nailed this on all her youtube clips. Going 16th gives her a chance. I think she's stunning.The writers of this song also wrote the Swedish entry.

Obviously two of the most important factors when considering Eurovision are the draw (something like the of the last 8 winners only 1 has not performed in the last 8)
The Eurovision tipster in the Racing Post made the same point in the paper today. I think it's very dangerous to back any song early in the draw.

Anyone got a clue who actually won the 1st semi final?? There is betting, win and E/W on the semis but there doesnt seem to be an announcment who actualy won, just the qualifiers. Or have i actually missed something here? I had Russia to win with Sporting bet and the bet still remains unsettled. It seems they dont know either.
You're in the money then - the winner of the first Semi-Final was Russia with 152 points followed by Albania and Romania. Taken from official site: http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=sweden_wins_2012_eurovision_song_contest The bookies called the 1st 3 right in the right order in the final - like to see how they form their markets. I'm just puzzled by the screaming Albanian woman getting 4th place.