BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October

15:35 Ascot Side Glance E/W (67,00) PaddyPower This is indeed a race of champions. All of them have proven they belong here, but one horse stands out. Frankel are a massive favorite and there are no doubt, he will put the others to the test. The question is, who will take the second and third place behind him. I got a good feeling about Side Glance, despite the bookies rate him as one of the worste horses in the field. The 4 year old gelding, is a former C&D winner. This is his 6th race at Ascot and he either won or placed in all of them. Side Glances been competing at this level, in this season only. He won 3, placed 2 and was 4th in the latest. The ground official at Ascot predict the going to be good or good to firm. Both of them, seems to suit Side Glance well. 8 of his 10 win or places was under simular going. Side Glance recent form. 1-1-3-1-4 The jockey Jimmy Fortune have had a decent season so far. Its been nothing out of the ordinary and there are room for improving. He got a total win rate of 10,23 %.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 16th Of October A1.50 Polly's Mark 0.5pt E/W 50/1 Boylesports Currently 10 runners go to post for this race and this rank outsider is one of only 4 in the field to have won off their current mark or higher. The horse absolutely loves Ascot with 2 firsts and a second from 4 visits to the track. The big unknown is the trip but if Mosse gives it a decent ride and gets it into a rhythm, I can see this one being in the shake up at the end - on paper it's not quite got the class of some of the market leaders, but the price is just too big to ignore.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 16th Of October Catcherinscratcher - Cheltenham 2:05 Won a maiden hurdle in Listowel by 10 lengths three starts back. (2m 4f) Was then stepped up to 3m and won by 12 lengths at Tipperary. Went off FAV last time out but didnt perform great (2m 6f). Back up to 3m tomorrow on ground that will suit. Trainer coming over from Ireland with 2 horses tomorrow. Trainer had a winner at Cheltenham today (Sizing Symphony). Trainer has 3 winners from last 6 runners at Cheltenham. Step up in trip bound to suit and 9/2 looks overpriced. WIN @ 9/2 Coral

Re: BBOTD Saturday 16th Of October 1425 ascot deacon blues 1 pt win 11/4 bet 365 course and distance winner including the wokingham, fanshaw and murtagh team up again to try and have a 5 timer with deacon blues, murtagh has already won on him twice and another good run should be on the cards

Re: BBOTD Saturday 16th Of October 4.10 Ascot So You Think win @ 5/2 Bet365 Absolutely everything is in this horses favour tomorrow and I don't expect him to get beat. He put up a massive performance in the Arc and he drops back to his optimum distance in this race. He is up against some very good opposition but he himself is top class and should be able to win this. Nathaniel drops back in trip here which won't be to his advantage and the biggest danger could come from the French horse. Dubai Prince is a very interesting contender but So You Think should have too many guns over this trip for this lot.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 16th Of October 2.55 Catterick Fathom Five - joined Dandy from Chris Wall at start of the season and it looked like they'd lined him up for a punt in the Epsom Dash. Wasnt beaten far at all but nevertheless didnt win. Perhaps this has been the next target, given he was 4th off 6lb higher for Wall last year. Will love a strongly run race on soft ground and 20/1 looks big. 20/1 Bet 365, 1 pt win

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October Ferdoos 3.00 Ascot 1pt win 7/2 PP BOG I can't understand why Ferdoos is the same price as Vita Nova. When they met in May, Vita Nova had everything in her favour yet she couldn't beat Ferdoos. Vita Nova had a run under her belt, she got first run, Ferdoos jinked a few times losing momentum yet Ferdoos still came out on top. There's no denying that Vita Nova is a smashing filly but based on their previous meeting I just think the price is wrong. Its by no means a two horse race - possibly some value with the two Irish horses. But Ferdoos looks like a potential group 1 horse and 7/2 is a decent price. She goes well fresh and Varian must have targetted this race for a while.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October 4.10 Ascot - Cirrus des Aigles - win at 9/1 bog PP I've been following this horse all season and will give him a last chance to win a group one race He's been beaten a quarter length by both Goldikova and Sarafina in midsummer group one races. Since then he's gone on the rampage in group 2 and 3, winning by 3, 8 and 10 lengths Being a gelding he wasn't eligible for the Arc so had the luxury of a prep run for today on Arc weekend following a break of 5 weeks. He's a horse that thrives on racing so he'll probably come on a bit for that prep run, which wasn't too shaby, beaten a nose in a group two giving weight to a group one winner Obviously the worry is that he always finds one too good at the very top level so this has to be his last chance saloon So You Think is the most likely winner but we don't know how he's come out of the Arc. That was a very fast run race and could take some recovering from. The same applies to Snow Fairy, who finished ahead of him. Midday has never won against colts Nathaniel might find this trip on good ground too sharp Of the 6 horses at the top of the betting Dubai Prince is the dark horse. Came back from injury to win a class 3 stakes race last time. He's a lightly raced 3 year old who appeared to be just about the best 2 year old in ireland last year before going to Godolphin. I'm put off by the fact he's been injured I see the race panning out with Cirrus prominent and kicking for home a furlong or so out............So You think, Midday and Snow Fairy chasing him down But will they catch him ?............:loon

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October 15:50 Cheltenham BALTHAZAR KING looks a cracking betting proposition on seasonal debut off what looks a fairly lenient mark of 136. For a horse that goes really well fresh, enjoys quick ground and seems to enjoy Cheltenham, he to me should be a clear favourite, although I will admit this is a pretty decent contest. The 7yo has plenty to suit over the 3 mile trip in what is only his 2nd start in Handicap Chases. The first of which was incidentally his last start before a summer break which came in the Sandown Gold Cup and was prominent in the betting, going off a price of 8/1. However, he never travelled a yard and was most likely well “over the top”, never getting into the race as a result. It was his third run in under a month and it’s almost certainly a run to put a line through. Previous to this, he’d put in two decent efforts in two Novice Chase events (albeit one was a pretty weak contest). The other however was an exceptionally game performance here at Cheltenham over this trip, as on at least two occasions on the run-in, he looked like he was going to be overtaken but instead found plenty in-front and it was taking performance. Although the form hasn’t worked out too well (the two in behind are decent prospects but have struggled with their jumping) Balthazar King still looked a horse capable of running to a mark of around 145, so off his current mark of 136, he looks fairly well handicapped I feel. Another factor to consider is my selection’s absence, as he hasn’t seen the track for 175 days. Philip Hobbs can obviously get one ready but another factor in our favour is its record fresh. Off an absence of 60 days or more his form figures read 162F11. Four of these efforts were over hurdles and although was always competent over the smaller obstacles, he’s always looked like a chaser and this discipline suits him much better. There should be little problem with his fitness and I’m expecting a run for my money on that front. Little separates many at the front of this market with five horses priced at 6/1 or under. That being said, I believe that Balthazar King is well treated off his current mark of 136 and has plenty in his favour conditions wise. I’m expecting a bold show and even though a price of 11/2 doesn’t look the biggest on paper, I have him about a 7/2 favourite here and expect he’ll run a big race before moving onto graded races in the near future. BALTHAZAR KING; Win @ 11/2 Ladbrokes (bog)

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October 4:45 Ascot - Valencha - win @ 16/1 (Betfred) It's hard enough to solve a 29 runner handicap, it's even harder when the jockeys on board are inexperienced apprentice riders. However, Valencha, a progressive 4 year old filly, has the excellent Harry Bentley on board and the pairing look in with a decent shout of running a big race here. Hughie Morrison has really worked wonders with this animal, as she's most consistent having never finished out of the first four in 16 career outings - 3 of which were wins and another 9 being placed efforts. Horses holding their form are always worth a second look at this time of year and this filly shows no signs of losing hers just yet. Valencha comes here to race off a career-high mark of 87 having been raised 5lbs for a half-length victory in a 15 runner handicap last time out. That was over this 7f trip at Epsom and she was given a fine ride by the recently retired (not for long I hope) Richard Hughes, as he produced her nicely through tight gaps in order to give Morrison's charge her first win in 5 races (that win also under Hughes). That was only a C4 event and obviously this is a lot tougher, the toughest task of her career, but she remains progressive and could have another few lbs in hand. The majority of the race-pace seems to be drawn relatively high and Valencha has a sit in stall 19, which should prove to be a good draw. Another thing I'd usually look for with horses running here is previous course form and this filly has lined up twice at this track. On both occasions, she finished in 2nd place having looked the most likely winner and it's possible that she hit the front too early each time. Although she did run in to a very progressive type in William Haggas' Electra Star on the second occasion and that was over a mile - 7f is her optimum. Hughie Morrison has his yard in great form of late, with 4 winners and a number of close efforts from his 22 runners this month. Backing stables in good knick is another thing that comes in handy at this time of year and he has his going well. He also has a fine record at the track and 5 winners, 4 seconds and 1 third have resulted from just 17 runners at the track this year. Valencha looks capable of adding to that under the guidance of Harry Bentley and he also does well here, having achieved 3 winners and 3 places from 15 rides here. It'll be a very tough contest to win but there are 5 places being paid with a good few firms and 14/1 looks big (can get 16's with 4 places). I'll play medium each-way stakes and hopefully this progressive filly will continue to run her usual solid race and run into a place at least. Of the rest, I'd be delighted to see a big run from my old friend Striking Spirit (22/1) and he's worthy of having a few quid on each-way too. The likely favourite, Pearl Ice, could be anything but may not be favourably positioned and the 15/2 about him does not appeal, even though Sir Mark said he'd make a very nice 3 year old after he sluiced up when last seen, just over a year ago. He could be anything but the price isn't big enough. Woodcote Place isn't without a chance at 33/1 either. The rest don't really appeal too much at the prices.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October Ran a cracker last time out but after six starts he is yet to have his day. Trainer Miss A Bramall's 5yr old gelding still ran a fine race after a long break last time out at Sedgefield, he was an eye catching running on 3rd and if he strips just a touch fitter today he should run a close race. Today's ground and extra 1f should be all to his advantage and the young jockey doing the steering aint all bad either. Owned and Trained by someone that will love him to bits, in with a shout. Kelso 5:40 - Sleep in First, 0.5 e/w bet - 11/1 Skybet. Safe Round.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October 2.20 Catterick Annie Walker won very easily two starts back and ran well enough lto in her first nursery. Ground will suit and stable in good nick so should go close here of what still looks like a reasonable mark. Still improving and really good value here. 1 Pt win 7/1 Hills

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October Kelso 5.40 Yorkshire Knight win - 15/2 Sporting Bet Ran a cracker when last seen in a Ffos Las novice. The horses in that race have all franked form since especially Ongenstown Lad, who he almost caught on the line. Changed hands since and is with John Quinn now. I have a feeling this might be gambled today. Trainer likes to do it from time to time and has booked a fantastic conditional in a very poor race. Massive chance if they are trying. Fingers crossed this is one of the trainer's plots, because if he is, he will take all the beating.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October 240 Ch: Life Of A Luso (9/1 Bet365) 1pt Only 8 runners now 3 have been pulled out due to the ground, the selection has been running well this season with cut in the ground but the sound surface is what he wants to show his best. Staying on last tiome when 4th at Market Rasen in a good race and is a sound jumper. Jockey Tom O'Brien gets on well with him and looks sure to run a solid race.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October 2:20 Catterick: Feelthedifference 1pt win 11/4 Bet365 Feethedifference lines up with only two runs beside her name and could be a fair bit better than she has already shown. While Sir Henry will be focusing on Ascot he could pick up a winner here with Paul Hanagan aboard.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October 2:55 Singeur @ Catterick - Taking a drop in class today from a class 2 to a class 3 and is running of a 2lb lower mark than when it last won.Seems to like softer ground and the drop back to 5 furlongs will suit.Trainer Robin Bastiman has a 14% strike rate with 4+ year olds this year 0.5pt E/W @ 12/1 Bet365

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October 3:35 Ascot - Frankel - Back It didn't take a genius to work out that he would be my nap today!! He is undoubtedly the single most outstanding of 2011 and this should be confirmed today. He's beaten Excelebration relatively comfortably on the 2 occasions that they have met thus far (one was in a prep race for Frankel) and i see nothing to suggest that the form will be reversed here. Tactically, Frankel is the most versatile racehorse I have ever seen. He has the ability to win from the back off a slow pace, the front off a lightning pace and when taking a lead and then kicking on at the 3f pole. He simply has everything and I hope he scoots up here. He truly is exceptional 1pt win @ 2/5 Hills BOG

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October 4.10 Ascot - Nathaniel (0.5ew 7-1 BET365 BOG) Something of a 'forgotten horse' over the past couple of months, but loves Ascot and defeated Workforce and the Arc fifth St Nicholas Abbey last time out. Drop back to 10f is a slight question mark, but certainly has the class to finish in the top three. Incidentally BET365 are offering each-way 1/3 for the first three.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 15th Of October 4.10 Ascot - 1pt win Dubai Prince @ 8/1 (Bet365) Dermot Weld hailed Dubai Prince as the best 2yo he'd trained before his move to Godolphin, and he looks like he'll be every bit as good at 3 and 4 also. He's extremely unexposed relative to the rest of the field, and could be very good indeed in my opinion. He beat Seville on his debut and then destroyed a Group 3 field before having a break from the track. The absence did no harm as he won well at Newbury from two next time out winners (the 2nd by 9l). He'll come on plenty for that, and even though this is a step up in class, I think he's capable of making it.