Australian A League Season 2011/2012

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Wellington Phoenix v Central Coast Mariners DNB @ 1.90 Sportsbet Decided to have a late dig on Central Coast getting something out of this fixture. Victory did so last weekend, and they couldn't buy a goal up until that game. Wellington have been poor this season, and it really hasn't been helped by their mounting injury list. I was going to stay away from this game, but Central Coast showed enough last week against the Glory, to give me a bit of confidence. They are a typical Graham Arnold side, they get down and dirty, they do the dog work, and they grind out results. It's exactly what they did last week and it worked an absolute treat for them. I think slowly but surely you'll see this side start to improve, and soon they'll be a very tough unit to break down. Their captain has returned to the side to help boost the defence, and their squad in general has had hardly any disruptions over the off-season. Mariners have an excellent chance of getting at least a draw tonight, but I think they have enough to nip a win here, providing they keep things tight at the back and put in another hard working shift just like last week.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Central Coast @ 2.89 pinnacleWellington are without a key defender (Sigmund) for this game while up front, with Ifill out, they are going to find it hard to score goals. Not that the Central Coast are playing much better, but saw the Vicotry come here last week and win when they needed one, and can see Arnold's boys doing the same as they look to have a bit more structure and solidity especially at the back for this game. Adelaide @ 2.00 pinnacle Expecting Adelaide to bounce back from their 7-1 thumping by Brisbane as the Heart are nowhere near the same quality. Adelaide have only showed glimpses of what they can do so far this season when much more was expected of them. The Heart have been unlucky with chances created and some near misses but they just do not have much luck going for them. They try to play football and move the ball around but for all their hard work they cannot get the win they deserve. Now they faced a pretty angry Adelaide side looking for some redemption, and given that they have much more quality all over the park than what the Heart has, like them to edge them out. Record: 2-12 (-9.14)

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Melbourne Victory vs Brisbane Roar Away side is definitely the finest team in A-League. They have a very creative midfield with great players and great attitude. They lost some key strikers, but the midfield does so well that anybody in front might be able to score. This time is Berisha the top scorer and I expect him to prove his value once more in this match. Victory are a team where the desire is bigger than the "I can" factor, so expect them to lose the game. away win @ 2.10 with Ladbrokes

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012

Wellington Phoenix v Central Coast Mariners DNB @ 1.90 Sportsbet :cheers Decided to have a late dig on Central Coast getting something out of this fixture. Victory did so last weekend, and they couldn't buy a goal up until that game. Wellington have been poor this season, and it really hasn't been helped by their mounting injury list. I was going to stay away from this game, but Central Coast showed enough last week against the Glory, to give me a bit of confidence. They are a typical Graham Arnold side, they get down and dirty, they do the dog work, and they grind out results. It's exactly what they did last week and it worked an absolute treat for them. I think slowly but surely you'll see this side start to improve, and soon they'll be a very tough unit to break down. Their captain has returned to the side to help boost the defence, and their squad in general has had hardly any disruptions over the off-season. Mariners have an excellent chance of getting at least a draw tonight, but I think they have enough to nip a win here, providing they keep things tight at the back and put in another hard working shift just like last week.
Mariners got up 2-1 and deservedly so in my opinion. I was glad I took the DNB cover when Phoenix got it back to 1-1, but it wasn't required in the end. Well done to those who backed the winner :ok A League Record: 7 wins, 3 losses, 1 DNB

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 I've also decided taken a small punt on Van Dijk anytime goalscorer @ 2.40 Sportsbet.Not much reasoning here, but I expect Adelaide to be very fired up, and really pushing to get their season back on track. Van Dijk will be the target man as always, and he is a proven goalscorer, plus Djite returns to the line up which will help take a bit of pressure off Van Dijk up front. Slory is wank. Having a second striker with a bit of pedigree to worry about should help Van Dijk find a bit more space in and around the defenders.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Great call guys. Just got home from work so missed out on the CCM. Nice to see you all seemed to back a winner. Wellington really are going to have a real struggle all season. It's unfortunate for them that they couldn't keep a player like Rojas or entice Smeltz back home. Adelaide v Melbourne Heart Looks like a stinking hot night in Adelaide tonight, with weather zone saying it's 30 at the moment. Not the sought of conditions that make for open end to end football. More likely the type of game where you see most of the team reaching for the water bottles on the sideline every stop in play. I'm a strong believer that teams that let in a lot of goals generally bounce back the next week with a good solid performance on defence as they tend to focus on it all week in training. I don't think Adelaide's defence is all that bad, and Melbourne Heart certainly don't have the attacking threat to worry them like Brisbane did. I also believe that Heart have are pretty impressive defence with Colosimo the standout. So my preferred play here is the under 2.5 @ 1.78 (Betfair) ...no great odds, but Adelaide and Heart both have good enough defences with attacks that haven't really proven that capable of scoring this season. Should be a tight close encounter in the heat of Adelaide.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 poor poor play from adelaide...had some chances to score but loosing a stupid ball on the centre of the field and a good strike from hamill gave heart the lead. adelaide looks very nervous and they obviously have that defeat in the back of their head..

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 I hear you there... Really poor stuff from Adelaide and a result that benefits neither team. I think Coolen and especially JVS will be under some pressure now. I think Brisbane will continue undefeated but I'm not sure they will win... I mean, all signs suggest they will but I can't shake a feeling Victory might find a way to snatch a draw, so staying away from that game.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory 2 Units Newcastle Win $2.50 @ Bet365 Perth had a good start to the season but were brought back to earth with a defeat against the Mariners. Newcastle have had a mixed start to the season with some great play at times and some poor play also. They don't seem to have had too many problems scoring goals as some thought they would and this week they welcome back Jeffers who brings extra potency into the attack. The only thing that will benefit Perth is they stayed on the East Coast this week rather than travelling back to Perth. I still think the Jets will rise for their home crowd for this game and take the points. Tip Newcastle 2 Perth 0 Melbourne Victory v Brisbane Roar 2 Units Brisbane Win $2.10 @ Ladbrokes Everyone is waiting for the Roar juggernaught to end and this week might just be the time for it to happen. Melbourne Victory have always been Brisbane's bogey side regardless of form and in front of a massive home crowd full of expectation there is a possibility Melbourne will finally step up after a very ordinary start to the season. All of this aside, Brisbane as everyone knows are a notch above every other team and these kind of odds I just can't refuse for Brisbane to make it 5 wins in a row to open the season.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Newcastle v Perth Newcastle have performed well at home so far winning 3-2 against the Heart while winning 1-0 against the CCM in their last home game. It could easily have been more and I really like the inclusion of Franny Jeffers here to assist with converting and creating chances. Can't say I'm convinced by Perth yet this season. Still yet to answer the question of whether they can really mount a proper challenge by winning and competing away from home. Last weeks game was a poor one, starting well but making plenty of mistakes to hand the CCM the win. Either way they still look dangerous upfront with Smeltz and he comes to a ground he has enjoyed playing on in the past -probably the case for at most venues - but particularly this one. So just not sure I can trust either side here, but like the over 2.5 goals at 2.28 (Betfair). If history is anything to go by, it also appears to be on our side as previous encounters have had goals.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Central Coast @ 2.89 :D Adelaide @ 2.00 :eyes Brisbane @ 2.00 pinnacle Hard to go past this Brisbane side as they are just playing at another level from last season. They smashed Adelaide 7-1 last week, and now face a Victory side that may have won in Wellington last week for its first win this season, but they are not playing at the level they need to in order to be able to get something out of this game. They have some good players but until they gel together, then believe the Roar here will win this once again Record: 3-13 (-8.25)

Newcastle v Perth Newcastle have performed well at home so far winning 3-2 against the Heart while winning 1-0 against the CCM in their last home game. It could easily have been more and I really like the inclusion of Franny Jeffers here to assist with converting and creating chances. Can't say I'm convinced by Perth yet this season. Still yet to answer the question of whether they can really mount a proper challenge by winning and competing away from home. Last weeks game was a poor one, starting well but making plenty of mistakes to hand the CCM the win. Either way they still look dangerous upfront with Smeltz and he comes to a ground he has enjoyed playing on in the past -probably the case for at most venues - but particularly this one. So just not sure I can trust either side here, but like the over 2.5 goals at 2.28 (Betfair). If history is anything to go by, it also appears to be on our side as previous encounters have had goals.
Not a bad looking bet mate, good odds and it's 2-0 at half time. Good shout, hopefully somebody can get that third goal for ya :cheers

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 FT 2-0...was one of those games really. Plenty of chances, just wouldn't go in. Moving on... Melbourne v Brisbane Can't be bothered with the writeup. If you've watched the A-League you'll know how good Brisbane are and they've got probably their most dangerous lineup out there - like that Ange is starting Murdocca now. Melbourne on the other hand hadn't scored until last week but did so twice - Archie looking good. Victory yet to score at home having played 2 0-0's already. Goal a coming I think against a team they enjoy facing. Not sure Brisbane will win here. Maybe 2-2. Anyway on over 2.5 @ 2.06...watch as it ends 0-0.:rollin :cry

FT 2-0...was one of those games really. Plenty of chances, just wouldn't go in. Moving on... Melbourne v Brisbane Can't be bothered with the writeup. If you've watched the A-League you'll know how good Brisbane are and they've got probably their most dangerous lineup out there - like that Ange is starting Murdocca now. Melbourne on the other hand hadn't scored until last week but did so twice - Archie looking good. Victory yet to score at home having played 2 0-0's already. Goal a coming I think against a team they enjoy facing. Not sure Brisbane will win here. Maybe 2-2. Anyway on over 2.5 @ 2.06...watch as it ends 0-0.:rollin :cry
I also jumped on the over 2.5 just prior to kick off. Loved the look of Victories side, very attacking and plenty of quality. Plus we all know how good Brisbane are. I got odds of 1.96 through Sportsbet. 25 minutes in and Victory lead 2-1. Craziest game already!

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 As you say CFCWatson been crazy, but enjoyed every moment of it so far. Obviously easier to watch having won my bet already, but the entertainment on show is exactly what the A-League needs to help add to it's attraction. Will be incredible if my 2-2 prediction as a final score came in. In fact it would be a miracle if the Victory could hold on.

As you say CFCWatson been crazy' date=' but enjoyed every moment of it so far. Obviously easier to watch having won my bet already, but the entertainment on show is exactly what the A-League needs to help add to it's attraction. Will be incredible if my 2-2 prediction as a final score came in. In fact it would be a miracle if the Victory could hold on.[/quote'] Brisbane disappointed me after watching them for the first time. I see what they're trying to do by copying Barcelona's passing game but why do they never pull the trigger? They always try to walk the ball in instead of shooting; which would probably get them more goals. Against the nine men of Victory they had two shots in the second half, was it? Poor effort.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Well 2-2 it ended...so miracles really do happen, although based on the way Brisbane played it really was anything but. They kind of looked clueless at times in how to get at 9 men Victory and in the end did it far more comfortably then any 9 men should. Concerning your observation above of Brisbane's style soundingstylish, they do play a good brand of possession football which has been effective this season and last. What rarely happens though like you see in La Liga with Barcelona is teams in the A-League don't park the bus like they do against Barcelona almost every game. Most managers allow Brisbane the space to operate and get in behind them rather then just setup from the beginning to defend out a 0-0 like teams do in La Liga. I've often wondered what would happen if teams in the A-League did play this negative style against Brisbane, and whether they would find it as easy to score goals. I think the Victory to a certain extent proved that if you sit right back and don't allow Brisbane the space for their full backs to run into, then you can neutralise a lot of their goal threat. Will be back later with a play on the Sydney game. Probably take Sydney to get their first home win of the season, having played 3 times away and 1 time at home to Brisbane.

Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory 2 Units Newcastle Win $2.50 @ Bet365 Perth had a good start to the season but were brought back to earth with a defeat against the Mariners. Newcastle have had a mixed start to the season with some great play at times and some poor play also. They don't seem to have had too many problems scoring goals as some thought they would and this week they welcome back Jeffers who brings extra potency into the attack. The only thing that will benefit Perth is they stayed on the East Coast this week rather than travelling back to Perth. I still think the Jets will rise for their home crowd for this game and take the points. Tip Newcastle 2 Perth 0 Melbourne Victory v Brisbane Roar 2 Units Brisbane Win $2.10 @ Ladbrokes Everyone is waiting for the Roar juggernaught to end and this week might just be the time for it to happen. Melbourne Victory have always been Brisbane's bogey side regardless of form and in front of a massive home crowd full of expectation there is a possibility Melbourne will finally step up after a very ordinary start to the season. All of this aside, Brisbane as everyone knows are a notch above every other team and these kind of odds I just can't refuse for Brisbane to make it 5 wins in a row to open the season.
Newcastle :clap Brisbane :gimme:puke Entertaining set of games last night that's for sure! I'm still trying to piece together how Brisbane couldn't breach 9 men for so long. Was a really poor performance by Brisbane well in to those who left the game alone! Today, two sides teetering on the top 6. Each have managed one win two draws and a loss in their opening games. Gold Coast have definitely punched above their weight and were even decent in their 3 -0 defeat against Brisbane. I really like their new striker Rigters he's not afriad to pull the trigger when in position! While I think Sydney deserve the favouritism here I think GC are in with a good shot. In 6 games since the Gold Coast came into the league, they have beaten Sydney 4 times with 1 draw and only lost once. So essentially they are a bit of a bogey side for Sydney. I'm going to take a few small stakes chances this game. 0.5 Units Gold Coast United HT/FT Double $7.50 @ Sportsbet 0.5 Units Maceo Rigters First Goal Scorer $7 @ Sportsbet

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Massive drift on Sydney here...almost like no one knew that Antonis wasn't playing. Maybe it's because Lavitka has replaced him with Moriyasu. Regardless, Sydney should be good enough to grab their first win today and I'll take the ever improving odds of 2.16 for them to do so. Sydney to win @ 2.16 (Betfair)

Here's my bets for the weekend. Adelaide United v Melbourne Heart @ 1.95 Sportsbet Good odds on Adelaide here, I realize they were absolutely trounced by the Roar last weekend, but I still think they are a decent outfit and despite having a poor start to the season, It's hard to ignore their excellent record at home. It's very early in the season, but it's almost getting to a must win situation, and I'd expect a big peformance from Adelaide this weekend. They know how to fashion chances, it's just a matter of getting things together and putting them away. Vidosic has been a pretty good signing, and hopefully he can continue to imporve for United and fill the void left by Flores. Melbourne Heart have been ok this year, but I'd say they'll struggle to contain a motivated Adelaide team this weekend. Melbourne Victory v Brisbane Roar @ 1.90 Sportsbet I'm sticking with the Roar bandwagon, they are just far too good for the competition at the moment, and that will definitely be proved this weekend if they can overcome the Victory at home. I think it'll be one of their sternest tests all season. Victory looked good last weekend, but I don't think they've hit the right levels of performance yet to rival Brisbane. They are still lacking the finishing touch, and fluidity across park, whilst Brisbane are obviously firing on all cylinders. Sydney FC v Gold Coast United @ 1.83 Sportsbet Both sides have had a decent start to the season, but I think Sydney should have too much at home. They have great players in Emerton and Carle, and things are looking quite positive for them this year. Their style of play is slowly improving, and I think they should be able to cancel out most of Gold Coast's threats. GC on the other hand have looked better then I expected, but they've never had a good run of things when playing away from home, and I can't see why that can change this weekend. GL All :ok
Oh man, another crazy weekend of results. This season is proving to be very unpredictable, but I've gotta admit I am absolutely loving it. I think the quality of football being played is really improving, the crowds, the passion from the players, the atmosphere at certain games, all of these things are on the rise IMO, and that's exactly what we need to make this league successful. Let's just say I'm a happy chap with where our league is headed. A quick note on my bets. Adelaide were dissapointing yet again, I think I'll be avoiding them from now on. Brisbane.... what a crazy game, still not quite sure how they didn't get the winner? I know it's hard to break a side down when they park 9 men in front of goal, but if anyone can do it, I would have banked on Brisbane being able to. And I missed the Sydney game, as I've just woken up from night shift, but what a result from the boys in blue, looks like a fantastic comeback? will look out for the highlights and see how they did it. :cheers A League Record: 9 wins, 5 losses, 1 DNB

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 3-2 FT...WOW, honestly didn't think Sydney had it in them to come back. Really bad luck Gurudave, was an excellent shout and looked a good chance at 0-2. Been a really successful last 2 weeks and I feel like the level and ability of each side is now a lot clearer.

Newcastle :clap Brisbane :gimme:puke Entertaining set of games last night that's for sure! I'm still trying to piece together how Brisbane couldn't breach 9 men for so long. Was a really poor performance by Brisbane well in to those who left the game alone! Today, two sides teetering on the top 6. Each have managed one win two draws and a loss in their opening games. Gold Coast have definitely punched above their weight and were even decent in their 3 -0 defeat against Brisbane. I really like their new striker Rigters he's not afriad to pull the trigger when in position! While I think Sydney deserve the favouritism here I think GC are in with a good shot. In 6 games since the Gold Coast came into the league, they have beaten Sydney 4 times with 1 draw and only lost once. So essentially they are a bit of a bogey side for Sydney. I'm going to take a few small stakes chances this game. 0.5 Units Gold Coast United HT/FT Double $7.50 @ Sportsbet 0.5 Units Maceo Rigters First Goal Scorer $7 @ Sportsbet
:eyes 2 - 0 up and blow it through some poor defence. some crazy games have been played this weekend thats for sure!! Record after Rd 5 Bet 32 Units Returned 32.58 Units ROI 1.8%

Friday 11 November 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Adelaide United v Gold Coast United (08:30 GMT) 2.32 3.35 3.3 103.26 %
Saturday 12 November 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Melbourne Heart v Newcastle United Jets (06:30 GMT) 2.48 3.3 3.1 102.88 %
maximize.gif Central Coast Mariners v Melbourne Victory (08:45 GMT) 2.3 3.3 3.45 102.77 %
maximize.gif Perth Glory v Sydney FC (11:00 GMT) 2.58 3.3 3 102.40 %
Sunday 13 November 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Brisbane Roar v Wellington Phoenix (06:00 GMT) 1.35 5.5 11 101.35 %

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Right, this week... It's not often that I bet against my own team at home, but I'm really concerned about the lack of depth in our defence at the moment - we've practically only got 4 fit defenders and of those one is a youth player. Sydney meanwhile might be missing Emerton but still have Antonis and Carle, and have been doing alright recently. The Draw OR Sydney double chance at 1.53 through Bet365 looked good but I will instead be going for Sydney DNB @ 2.10 with the same bookie - simply because if my team lose I want a higher return to compensate for it! :lol Brisbane Roar meanwhile continue to run rampant, and this week's odds against Welly for the win look quite poor value. So I'm going to go instead for the Brisbane -1 AH @ 1.50 which still seems a likely enough result. I also want Both Teams To Score between Heart and Newcastle, but right now Bet365 don't seem to be offering it!

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Adelaide United vs Gold Coast United Bad times for Adelaide have been lately. They have just 1 win, 1 draw and just 4 goals scored. On the negative side we can note 3 defeats and 11 goals conceded. They have been thrashed by Brisbane Roar with 1-7 and I was pretty sure they will not win last match played home, ended 1-1 with Melbourne Heart. The missing of Levchenko will not bve a good news for Adelaide as they are suffering in the midfield. On the other side we have Gold Coast. A team of "over" as a friend of mine has been observing. They had so far no game in which they didn't conceded at least one goal. They have 2 draws so far and can be upset to not have 3 as Sydney have beaten them 3-2 in the last minute of the game, in last round. I will go for a home win in this match. Adelaide never been a weak team at home and I think will use this match to get a boosted morale after that savaging loss with 1-7. home win @ 2.39 with Canbet Their absent players for this game will be: Joel Porter, Ante Rozic, Chris Broadfoot and also Adama Traore.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Adelaide @ 2.30 centrebet Even though this is the Gold Coast's home game this is being played in Adelaide, so a big bonus for them. They have been scrappy in starting this season, but showed some signs last week that there may be some of there game starting to come together. They do have some good players, with van Dijk and Vidosic capable of scoring goals while the defence is pretty solid, and they really should do have much to worry about this GC forward line that relies on the work ethic of McCallister. Defensively they are not bad but allowing 3 goals to Sydney last week is a concern as they also allowed 3 goals in their previous road game at Brisbane. Like Adelaide to get a much needed win to kick start their season. Record: 3-14 (-9.25)

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Decided to go forAdelaide DNB @ 1.57 at the last minute. Reason being that i was leaning to tip the reds but just worried about their form too much; at least the DNB provides that little bit f insurance even if the odds arent great value.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Adelaide v GC Over 2.5 @ 2.03 Sportsbet Late bet for me here - I just fancy a couple of goals in this one, Adelaide have shown their weaknesses in defence, and although they haven't scored many this year so far, they have certainly fashioned a tonne of chances, they still have plenty of creative ability, but are just lacking that finishing touch. GC aren't my favourite team and I generally tend to bet against them, but they have so far proven their own ability to score goals this season. Let's hope they both get it right tonight. I was leaning towards an outright victory for Adelaide tonight, But they've let me down too many times already this year, so I'll steer clear of that option. GL All :)