Australian A League Season 2011/2012

Sports Bet Odds Grand Final Winner Melbourne Victory $4.33 Sydney FC $6 Brisbane Roar $6 Central Coast Mariners $6.50 Adelaide United $7 Perth Glory $11 Newcastle Jets $14 Melbourne Heart $15 Wellington Phoenix $18 Gold Coast United $26 Minor Premiers Melbourne Victory $4 Brisbane Roar $6 Sydney FC $6 Central Coast Mariners $6.50 Adelaide United $7 Perth Glory $10 Newcastle Jets $13 Melbourne Heart $15 Wellington Phoenix $17 Gold Coast United $26

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A League Season 2011/2012 My Season Predictions Total 30 Units

Grand Final Winners – 8 Units Melbourne Victory $4.65 @ Centrebet

Melbourne under achieved last year and of course the big news this year is the signing of the one and only Harry Kewell. The other major change for this season is that of the new coach Mehmet Durakovic with Ernie Merrick parting ways with the club last season. The new coach has landed himself with a team packed full of talent which should get plenty of selection headaches throughout the season. Brisbane Roar’s championship winning striker Solorzano will make his debut for the club while club goal scoring legends Archie Thompson and Danny Allsopp will be looking for another good season. Add to this young speedy New Zealander Rojas and you have an extremely lethal attack. Going back into the midfield the quality doesn’t stop. Provided Harry Kewell and Costa Rican Carlos Hernandez stay fit for the season, Melbourne will boast in my opinion the best midfield in the league. Isaaca Cernak from defunct North Queensland has been impressive in trials while the long term Melbourne combination of Brebner, Broxham , Celeski and Pondeljak will bolster the midfield.

The only concern I have for Melbourne is the defence/goalkeeping. Leijer and Vargas are solid defenders however the rest of the defence is fairly inexperienced. This combined with new goalkeeper Velaphi may result in leaking some goals during the season. Although capable of some great saves I’m not impressed with Velaphi as he is often prone to silly mistakes.

Overall Melbourne Victory are a big game club and with this playing roster they should easily take themselves through to the top 4. From here I think they will be best contenders for the Grand Final.

Minor Premiers – 4 Units Adelaide United $7 @ Sportsbet

This is my best value bet for the season. Adelaide have done a stunning job in recruitment this season and I can’t see any way they won’t make the top 4. With a little over 2 weeks out from the season I couldn’t resist these odds at Sportsbet. Other books such as Centrebet have Adelaide as low as $4.50 and most around the $5 mark so I have taken this one while it lasts.

Adelaide have the most potent striker in the league in Van Dijk. He is a guaranteed goal machine. Djite has found himself back at Adelaide to partner Van Dijk after playing in Turkey and at Gold Coast United for the last 3 years and is a proven goalscorer at this level. Adelaide have lost almost half their squad but besides the irreplaceable Flores, have recruited an even better playing roster for this season. Mckain, Vidosic, Caravella, Djite, Dilevski should all come into the starting 11 while it will be interesting to see what import Levchenko has to offer. Between the sticks Adelaide still have one of the top 2 keepers in the league in Galekovic.

I see Adelaide United as an extremely strong unit with no weak spots and I’m confident they can improve on last year’s 3rd place into the number one position this year.

Minor Premiers – 1 Unit Brisbane Roar $6 @ Sportsbet

No team so far in the A League has topped the table two seasons running. If any team can do it, Brisbane will be the ones. Last season, Brisbane’s record season was credited to Ange Postecoglou’s coaching strategy and system. The players adapt to the way the team plays, rather than revolving the team around star players. Last season the high possession and quick, fluent passing build up play by the Roar was superior to the rest of the league. The only hurdle in the way this year is the loss of three crucial players. Barbarousses and Solorzano who netted 23 goals between them are gone and perhaps the biggest loss is that of Club Captain Matt Mckay who was snapped up by Rangers. I’m not 100% confident in the replacements of these players but if proven wrong can’t see any reason Brisbane can’t go back to back.

Wooden Spoon – 3 Units Wellington Phoenix $4.33 @ Sportsbet

One would imagine that the Spoon will be hard fought between Wellington and the Gold Coast this season although past seasons have shown to be unpredictable. I’ve taken this price on Wellington while I can as they have been posted elsewhere as low as $2.50. Wellington’s ownership issues have overshadowed their preseason and they have only just reached the quota of 20 squad players required to start the season. They are a tough side to beat at home but in comparison to the other teams who mostly have improved their roster this season, Wellington’s team sheet is incredibly sparse. The Phoenix will be hoping for an injury free season for striker Paul Ifill to help them stay off the bottom of the table.

Top NSW Team – 4 Units Central Coast Mariners $2.20 @ Sportsbet

In my opinion, Sydney are being hyped up again this season and although the addition of Emerton will definitely see them improve I just don’t think they have the squad or tactics to get them to the pointy end of the ladder. Last season they were deplorable under coach Lavicka. Central Coast on the other hand have bolstered their Grand Final side from last season and have massive depth in the squad. Central Coast have the best defence in the league and have brought in some strong players into their already solid midfield and attack. Newcastle will get some results this season but won’t be at the top end of the ladder. Sydney at $2 is no value and I’m taking the Mariners to finish above them.

Top Goalscorer Sergio Van Dijk 2 Units $7.50 @ Sportsbet No explanation required. Last season’s Golden Boot winner. Since joining the A League, Van Dijk has scored 45 goals in 80 appearances for Brisbane/Adelaide.

Shane Smeltz 0.5 Units $7.50 @ Sportsbet Small cover on Van Dijk. When Smeltz is actually busy honouring his A League contracts the goals flow thick and fast. In 74 games since he started with the Phoenix, Smeltz has netted 47 goals which actually eclipses Van Dijk’s record. I’m still not convinced about Perth Glory this season under Ferguson and thus why I’m sticking with Van Dijk for golden boot however it wouldn’t be a surprise if Smeltz takes it.

Ryan Griffiths 0.5 Units $41 @ Sportsbet

A dark horse for this season. Griffiths comes back to his hometown of Newcastle after playing with Beijing Guoan for a few seasons. He has shown a consistent ability to score goals and while not at the rate of the better A League strikers he is worth a small stakes punt this season as I think he will provide a majority of Newcastle’s goals.

Top Team Goalscorers

2 Units Shane Smeltz Perth Glory $1.66 @ Centrebet

See above in Top Season Goalscorer

2 Units Paul Ifill Wellington Phoenix $2 @ Centrebet

Paul Ifill is a class player and has scored 20 goals in 51 appearances for Wellington. No other Wellington player comes close to the strike rate and barring injury he will take the prize again this season.

1 Unit Ryan Griffiths Newcastle Jets $2.85 @ Centrebet

1 Unit James Meyer Brisbane Roar $7 @ Centrebet

New player out of the Brisbane Premier League for the Roar. At the end of last season he played 3 games for Brisbane and scored 4 goals which earnt him the nickname “supersub meyer”. Brisbane’s trial game yesterday which comprised their youth squad plus Meyer and Danning saw Meyer score all three goals in the 3-0 win. If Albanian striker Besart Berisha doesn’t turn out to be a success, Meyer might just see himself starting for the Roar for the latter half of the season where he has shown he has the ability to put the ball in the back of the net.

0.5 Units Brett Emerton Sydney FC $17 @ Centrebet

While Emerton will be starting the season in the midfield he is known as a versatile player who can play up front and score goals. It has been said that he might be used in different positions around the park during the season and if he is put up front may surprise as top goal scorer for fc.

0.5 Units Thomas Broich Brisbane Roar $7.50 @ Centrebet

With the loss of Barbarousses and Solorzano, Broich has been trialing up front and as attacking midfielder for Brisbane. In my opinion he is the best player in the league and a class above any other player. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he leads the scoring list at Brisbane now that he will be playing further up the park. :cheers

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012

Saturday 8 October 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Newcastle United Jets v Melbourne Heart (06:30 BST) 2.2 3.2 3.24 107.57 %
maximize.gif Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC (08:30 BST) 2.1 3.2 3.6 106.65 %
maximize.gif Brisbane Roar v Central Coast Mariners (10:45 BST) 2.1 3.2 3.5 107.44 %
Sunday 9 October 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Gold Coast United v Wellington Phoenix (07:00 BST) 2 3.4 4.14 103.57 %
maximize.gif Perth Glory v Adelaide United (09:30 BST) 2.5 3.2 2.8 106.96 %

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 I will also be here, as I had pretty good profit last year and many of the Australian players played for my team, Universitatea Craiova, in Romania - Joshua Rose, Dilevski, Mitchell, Michael Baird (I have the T-Shirt from Mitchell). There were also others that played in Romania like Ryan Griffiths, for Rapid Bucharest.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Hi all, first post thought I'd better provide you with some tips after all your great tips on other sections on this site. Gold Coast vs Wellington - Gold Coast Win @ 1.85. 10/10. Having watched most of Wellingtons preseason and the problems at the club this should be a walk in the park for Gold Coast. Wellingtons best player in preseason lucas pantelis is out injured leaving wellington seriously lacking in pace on the counter attack. So much so, pacey fullback jimmy downy might be played on the wing. My suggestion is take the money and run. If you want to be safer take the DNB, because Wellington will not win here. Brisbane Vs Central Coast - Over 2.5 Goals @ 2.05 bet365. 6/10. If this game is like last seasons matches between these two then this bet should win comfortably. Central Coast often start the season in a rich scoring form which is often the opposite from what people expect from them. Brisbane on the other hand like to keep the ball on the floor and are one of the better footballing sides in the league.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 I'd agree with the above GCU tip, though I disagree with the Brisbane-CCM over 2.5. Both teams, CCM especially, have very good defences and this not being a grand final both will be very happy to start the season without a defeat. I think another good bet is Adelaide United DNB @ 1.90 away to Perth Glory, through Bet365. Adelaide have a very good squad and Perth's coach will be under pressure from the outset this season.

Re: A League Season 2011/2012

My Season Predictions Total 30 Units

Grand Final Winners – 8 Units Melbourne Victory $4.65 @ Centrebet

Melbourne under achieved last year and of course the big news this year is the signing of the one and only Harry Kewell. The other major change for this season is that of the new coach Mehmet Durakovic with Ernie Merrick parting ways with the club last season. The new coach has landed himself with a team packed full of talent which should get plenty of selection headaches throughout the season. Brisbane Roar’s championship winning striker Solorzano will make his debut for the club while club goal scoring legends Archie Thompson and Danny Allsopp will be looking for another good season. Add to this young speedy New Zealander Rojas and you have an extremely lethal attack. Going back into the midfield the quality doesn’t stop. Provided Harry Kewell and Costa Rican Carlos Hernandez stay fit for the season, Melbourne will boast in my opinion the best midfield in the league. Isaaca Cernak from defunct North Queensland has been impressive in trials while the long term Melbourne combination of Brebner, Broxham , Celeski and Pondeljak will bolster the midfield.

The only concern I have for Melbourne is the defence/goalkeeping. Leijer and Vargas are solid defenders however the rest of the defence is fairly inexperienced. This combined with new goalkeeper Velaphi may result in leaking some goals during the season. Although capable of some great saves I’m not impressed with Velaphi as he is often prone to silly mistakes.

Overall Melbourne Victory are a big game club and with this playing roster they should easily take themselves through to the top 4. From here I think they will be best contenders for the Grand Final.

Minor Premiers – 4 Units Adelaide United $7 @ Sportsbet

This is my best value bet for the season. Adelaide have done a stunning job in recruitment this season and I can’t see any way they won’t make the top 4. With a little over 2 weeks out from the season I couldn’t resist these odds at Sportsbet. Other books such as Centrebet have Adelaide as low as $4.50 and most around the $5 mark so I have taken this one while it lasts.

Adelaide have the most potent striker in the league in Van Dijk. He is a guaranteed goal machine. Djite has found himself back at Adelaide to partner Van Dijk after playing in Turkey and at Gold Coast United for the last 3 years and is a proven goalscorer at this level. Adelaide have lost almost half their squad but besides the irreplaceable Flores, have recruited an even better playing roster for this season. Mckain, Vidosic, Caravella, Djite, Dilevski should all come into the starting 11 while it will be interesting to see what import Levchenko has to offer. Between the sticks Adelaide still have one of the top 2 keepers in the league in Galekovic.

I see Adelaide United as an extremely strong unit with no weak spots and I’m confident they can improve on last year’s 3rd place into the number one position this year.

Minor Premiers – 1 Unit Brisbane Roar $6 @ Sportsbet

No team so far in the A League has topped the table two seasons running. If any team can do it, Brisbane will be the ones. Last season, Brisbane’s record season was credited to Ange Postecoglou’s coaching strategy and system. The players adapt to the way the team plays, rather than revolving the team around star players. Last season the high possession and quick, fluent passing build up play by the Roar was superior to the rest of the league. The only hurdle in the way this year is the loss of three crucial players. Barbarousses and Solorzano who netted 23 goals between them are gone and perhaps the biggest loss is that of Club Captain Matt Mckay who was snapped up by Rangers. I’m not 100% confident in the replacements of these players but if proven wrong can’t see any reason Brisbane can’t go back to back.

Wooden Spoon – 3 Units Wellington Phoenix $4.33 @ Sportsbet

One would imagine that the Spoon will be hard fought between Wellington and the Gold Coast this season although past seasons have shown to be unpredictable. I’ve taken this price on Wellington while I can as they have been posted elsewhere as low as $2.50. Wellington’s ownership issues have overshadowed their preseason and they have only just reached the quota of 20 squad players required to start the season. They are a tough side to beat at home but in comparison to the other teams who mostly have improved their roster this season, Wellington’s team sheet is incredibly sparse. The Phoenix will be hoping for an injury free season for striker Paul Ifill to help them stay off the bottom of the table.

Top NSW Team – 4 Units Central Coast Mariners $2.20 @ Sportsbet

In my opinion, Sydney are being hyped up again this season and although the addition of Emerton will definitely see them improve I just don’t think they have the squad or tactics to get them to the pointy end of the ladder. Last season they were deplorable under coach Lavicka. Central Coast on the other hand have bolstered their Grand Final side from last season and have massive depth in the squad. Central Coast have the best defence in the league and have brought in some strong players into their already solid midfield and attack. Newcastle will get some results this season but won’t be at the top end of the ladder. Sydney at $2 is no value and I’m taking the Mariners to finish above them.

Top Goalscorer Sergio Van Dijk 2 Units $7.50 @ Sportsbet No explanation required. Last season’s Golden Boot winner. Since joining the A League, Van Dijk has scored 45 goals in 80 appearances for Brisbane/Adelaide.

Shane Smeltz 0.5 Units $7.50 @ Sportsbet Small cover on Van Dijk. When Smeltz is actually busy honouring his A League contracts the goals flow thick and fast. In 74 games since he started with the Phoenix, Smeltz has netted 47 goals which actually eclipses Van Dijk’s record. I’m still not convinced about Perth Glory this season under Ferguson and thus why I’m sticking with Van Dijk for golden boot however it wouldn’t be a surprise if Smeltz takes it.

Ryan Griffiths 0.5 Units $41 @ Sportsbet

A dark horse for this season. Griffiths comes back to his hometown of Newcastle after playing with Beijing Guoan for a few seasons. He has shown a consistent ability to score goals and while not at the rate of the better A League strikers he is worth a small stakes punt this season as I think he will provide a majority of Newcastle’s goals.

Top Team Goalscorers

2 Units Shane Smeltz Perth Glory $1.66 @ Centrebet

2 Units Paul Ifill Wellington Phoenix $2 @ Centrebet

Paul Ifill is a class player and has scored 20 goals in 51 appearances for Wellington. No other Wellington player comes close to the strike rate and barring injury he will take the prize again this season.

1 Unit Ryan Griffiths Newcastle Jets $2.85 @ Centrebet

1 Unit James Meyer Brisbane Roar $7 @ Centrebet

New player out of the Brisbane Premier League for the Roar. At the end of last season he played 3 games for Brisbane and scored 4 goals which earnt him the nickname “supersub meyer”. Brisbane’s trial game yesterday which comprised their youth squad plus Meyer and Danning saw Meyer score all three goals in the 3-0 win. If Albanian striker Besart Berisha doesn’t turn out to be a success, Meyer might just see himself starting for the Roar for the latter half of the season where he has shown he has the ability to put the ball in the back of the net.

0.5 Units Brett Emerton Sydney FC $17 @ Centrebet

While Emerton will be starting the season in the midfield he is known as a versatile player who can play up front and score goals. It has been said that he might be used in different positions around the park during the season and if he is put up front may surprise as top goal scorer for fc.

0.5 Units Thomas Broich Brisbane Roar $7.50 @ Centrebet

With the loss of Barbarousses and Solorzano, Broich has been trialing up front and as attacking midfielder for Brisbane. In my opinion he is the best player in the league and a class above any other player. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he leads the scoring list at Brisbane now that he will be playing further up the park. :cheers

Great write up:clap I will keep a close watch on Brisbane Roar and see if Ange Postecoglou's can work his charm with his new players as he did last year. I know the quality of players that have left will be hard to replace but i just hope he sticks to his attacking style philosophy as last year, the Brisbane Roar played as good entertaining football as any A-League team since the inception of the league and were a breath of fresh air to the comp and set the benchmark for the other teams.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne Heart Home side had 6 draws last year and was pretty hard to be defeated at home. They transfered the brazilian defender from Fortuna Dusseldorf, Tiago and lost just the defender Milicevic, went to Hajduk Split. Heart lost striker Sibon that went to Heerenveen and brought instead striker Williams from North Queensland Fury. also got midfielder Germano from Estudiantes in Argentina. I expect a tough battle but an undecided game. Both teams will be very concentrated on not losing the game and I do not see a winner in this one. draw @ 3.39 with Pinnacle Sports

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Melbourne Victory vs Sydney FC Another game in which I expect a draw. First these are two of the best teams in Australia at the moment. Both will try to win, but I do not think they will. Both teams have made 10 draws each one and only Heart and Roar have been above that number. 3 games have ended as draws on this field between them. Draw is the best bet here as this is the first game for each one of them and none will want to get a defeat. draw @ 3.57 with Pinnacle Sports

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Brisbane Roar vs Central Coast Mariners The derby of the championship as these two have ended on first 2 positions. Now they will want to annihilate each other. Have been just 4 draws on Roar home ground. Roar made 5 draws at home last season and 10 wins, no defeat. Mariners made 6 draws away and was a result they obtained on difficult fields like this one. I think that being a derby will be hard for having a winner. draw @ 3.61 with Pinnacle Sports

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Gold Coast Mariners vs Wellington Phoenix Home side is playing always very strong at home. Wellington is a team that awakes in the second part of the season, being known for bad starts in every season. Away side had 2 wins and 2 draws in 15 games last season. I expect a convincing win for home side! home -1 AH @ 2.64 with Pinnacle Sports

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Perth Glory vs Adelaide United Away side invested so much in players this season and they will want the supreme reward. A win in the first round away should give them a great advantage and morale. Away side transferred great players and I expect them to get first win here: Levchenko from willem, Caravella and Djite top scorer of Goal Coast and Solorzano from Brisbane should help the existing Van Dijk and Slory and together to score many goals this season. away win @ 2.87 with Pinnacle Sports

Event Melbourne V. - Sydney FC
Selection Melbourne V.
Strength 10/10
Date 08/10/2011
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 2.10
Reasoning Brett Emerton and Harry Kewell are back to A-League, respectively to play for Sydney and Melbourne. What a debut, facing each other in this return. But, beside the Harry Kewell best quality, he will also have the euphoric support of 40.000 home fans, which will also contaminate his mates. Melbourne and Sydney have one of the biggest rivalry in A-League and in this game that rivalry will be as high as ever. The arrive of Harry Kewell is a real boost for Melbourne. And all the chronicles says he is training and is motivated at high level. Like this, we all know he is three level up the rest of the A-League players and he really can do the difference. I am very confident on home win as among the boost of Harry Kewell return, Melbourne is back by 13 preparation weeks before this debut, giving good signs to make a great debut.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 This has to be the hardest first round we've seen in the A League's history. I'm really having a tough time picking anything with confidence. Will only be betting smaller stakes on what I think are value bets. Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC 3 Units DRAW $3.40 @ Sportsbet While I lean towards Melbourne slightly I think the price on the draw is a great bet here. This is an absolute blockbuster game as it usually is between the biggest rivals in the league. Added to this we have the Kewell v Emerton factor. History shows the teams have played 18 times with 8 draws. Sydney's biggest loss is Kisel who has come back to the team. I really like this player and think he will help Sydney this year. For Melbourne, Hernandez is out because of playing for Costa Rica. Overall Melbourne certainly deserve the favourite tag but draw at this price is great value. Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Heart 2 Units HEART $3.35 @ Centrebet Initially I couldn't split these two teams. I feel that Heart have a strong attack and shaky defence while Newcastle have not nearly the attacking options but a stronger defence. Add to this the massive dramas this week for Newcastle with manager sacked 4 days ago and I think Heart have a much better chance of taking this game. Brisbane Roar v Central Coast NO BET I'm heading to the pub shortly for a big afternoon before going to see the grand final rematch. My team Brisbane Roar have potentially recruited well but the attacking players haven't had too much time yet and still are gelling with the teams style of play. Central Coast have bolstered their squad although carry a few injuries into this game in particular Wilkinson and Amini. I'm slightly favouring my team Brisbane but without the proven goalscoring ability upfront not prepared to take any action at the low odds on offer. Good luck everyone and enjoy the football.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne Heart - Melbourne Heart DNB @2.62 bet365.com The massive news that Branko and Jason Culina have been sacked from the club really swayed my decision in favour of the Heart. Add in the exclusion of in-form Marko Jesic and still without Jeremy Brockie gives me some extra confidence to back the heart. I think the hearts recruitment was definately overshadowed by the signing of Kewell to Victory but i think they have picked up some great players in Fred and Williams. The Jets usually have problems going forward and will only really Ali Abbas in the playmaker role but he is hot and cold most of the time but a great player none the less. Picking the DNB just to cover my ass a little bit as $2.10 is still a good price. Edited due to finding an extra 52 cents at bet365.com.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Newcastle @ 2.11 pinnacle Newcastle may have sacked their coach Culina, but he was not popular amongst the players and they woould be relieved to see him go. Like them to be even more ready for this game after a good preseason and like the side they have. Topor-Stanley anchors a good defence while the midfield is quite strong with Kantorovski and Whereman there, while up front, they are light with Griffiths and Payne likely to start but neither are prolific goalscorers. Melbourne Heart have had a huge turnover of players and though they have good additions in Fred and Williams, they have lost Sibon, who was a good target man for them. There are doubts surrounding some key players, with GK Bolton, defender Colosimo and defensive midfielder Thompson may be all out, and if that is the case, they look light on in the defensive part of the game. Like Newcastle to do enough to edge this as they look to a new era without the problems that their former coach brought with them. Melbourne Victory - Sydney FC over 2.5 @ 2.06 pinnacle Huge grudge match with the added bonus of two of the more high profile Australian players who have been successful overseas makng their way back home to play in the domestic league. Kewell for the Victory and Emerton for Sydney should make this an open and attacking game as both players like to go forward. Victory have added the likes of Solorzano and Rojas up front to add to their strikepower of Hernadez and Kewell, so they are a team based around scoring goals. With still some concerns on how this Sydney defence will shape up, as they were poor last year, like the Victory to score here. Sydney will also fancy their chances of scoring as the Victory are without Muscat who was the main organiser of their defence. With Emerton and Carle running at this defence, like them to create chances and score, as this Victory defence may take time to adjust without Muscat there. Both these teams have scored in 5 of their last 6 meetings and like them to do so again, with a third goal likely given the rivalry between the two, they will not settle for a point each. Brisbane - Central Coast over 2.5 @ 2.05 pinnacle Brisbane have lost the likes of Barbarouses and Solorzano in creating and scoring goals while McKay in midfield is also a big loss but they still have quality in their side with Broich in particular able to create and score goals. With Wilkinson missing from the CC defence, it leaves a big hole as his steady influence was an important part of their season last year. Expect Brisbane to continue to play an attacking brand of football and still score goals. Central Coast have strengthened their side and look like they will score more goal this year with Pellegrino and Hearfield capable of providng some good service to Simon and Kwasnik. Brisabne are not renowned for having the most solid of defences and with not much strengthening there, like CC to score on them. These two teams have featured in some high scoring games over the last few years and like this trend to continue.

Melbourne Victory vs Sydney FC Another game in which I expect a draw. First these are two of the best teams in Australia at the moment. Both will try to win, but I do not think they will. Both teams have made 10 draws each one and only Heart and Roar have been above that number. 3 games have ended as draws on this field between them. Draw is the best bet here as this is the first game for each one of them and none will want to get a defeat. draw @ 3.57 with Pinnacle Sports
I would be careful in saying that Sydney are one of the best teams in Australia. Most places would say they will be fighting for a spot from 4th to 6th and heavily reliant on Brett Emerton. I personally favour Melbourne in this match, much more attacking options and quality all over the park. Sydney have Carle and Emerton but not are thin elsewhere.
Perth Glory vs Adelaide United Away side invested so much in players this season and they will want the supreme reward. A win in the first round away should give them a great advantage and morale. Away side transferred great players and I expect them to get first win here: Levchenko from willem, Caravella and Djite top scorer of Goal Coast and Solorzano from Brisbane should help the existing Van Dijk and Slory and together to score many goals this season. away win @ 2.87 with Pinnacle Sports
I would agree with the away tip, but I would urge more caution and say a DNB on slightly lower odds. Perth have recruited well, and whilst they've got a fairly mediocre manager they tend to perform well at home especially early on in the season. Please note that Solorzano does not play for Adelaide, he plays for Melbourne Victory. The Melbourne Heart DNB @ 2.62 with bet365 was irrestistable to me. I've taken it with a moderate stake.

Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne Heart Home side had 6 draws last year and was pretty hard to be defeated at home. They transfered the brazilian defender from Fortuna Dusseldorf, Tiago and lost just the defender Milicevic, went to Hajduk Split. Heart lost striker Sibon that went to Heerenveen and brought instead striker Williams from North Queensland Fury. also got midfielder Germano from Estudiantes in Argentina. I expect a tough battle but an undecided game. Both teams will be very concentrated on not losing the game and I do not see a winner in this one. draw @ 3.39 with Pinnacle Sports
unlucky again in the last minute! too bad!

This has to be the hardest first round we've seen in the A League's history. I'm really having a tough time picking anything with confidence. Will only be betting smaller stakes on what I think are value bets. Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC 3 Units DRAW $3.40 @ Sportsbet :cheers While I lean towards Melbourne slightly I think the price on the draw is a great bet here. This is an absolute blockbuster game as it usually is between the biggest rivals in the league. Added to this we have the Kewell v Emerton factor. History shows the teams have played 18 times with 8 draws. Sydney's biggest loss is Kisel who has come back to the team. I really like this player and think he will help Sydney this year. For Melbourne, Hernandez is out because of playing for Costa Rica. Overall Melbourne certainly deserve the favourite tag but draw at this price is great value. Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Heart 2 Units HEART $3.35 @ Centrebet :eyes Initially I couldn't split these two teams. I feel that Heart have a strong attack and shaky defence while Newcastle have not nearly the attacking options but a stronger defence. Add to this the massive dramas this week for Newcastle with manager sacked 4 days ago and I think Heart have a much better chance of taking this game. Brisbane Roar v Central Coast NO BET I'm heading to the pub shortly for a big afternoon before going to see the grand final rematch. My team Brisbane Roar have potentially recruited well but the attacking players haven't had too much time yet and still are gelling with the teams style of play. Central Coast have bolstered their squad although carry a few injuries into this game in particular Wilkinson and Amini. I'm slightly favouring my team Brisbane but without the proven goalscoring ability upfront not prepared to take any action at the low odds on offer. Good luck everyone and enjoy the football.
Great 3 games to start off the round. The quality of play was very good for first round. Unlucky for those on heart jets draw with the deflection goal in the last minute.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 2 more games today Gold Coast United v Wellington Phoenix Phoenix Win 1 Unit $5 @ Centrebet This bet contradicts my season prediction of Wellington to take the wooden spoon but these odds are massive. One would expect those kind of odds for a first v last type match but Gold Coast and Wellington are both the front runners for the wooden spoon this year. Wellington certainly have the capability of sneaking a goal or two with Ifill and Greenacre up front and with Gold Coast starting this season with by far their weakest squad yet it's worth a sneaky punt on the Phoenix for an upset. Perth Glory v Adelaide United Adelaide Win 2 units $2.80 @ Centrebet As stated in my write up for the season I have massive confidence in Adelaide to take the minor premiership this season. While Perth certainly look strong on paper again, will it be another season of perfect on paper but terrible on the pitch? If Perth play to their potential then certainly they are in with a shot but I don't believe they should be favourite in the match.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Wellington 1 - 0 up and 4 injured players and concede a ripper goal in the 88th minute by James Brown :@:wall 1-1. and this is why i tipped them for the spoon. numerous injuries and they just have no depth whatsoever.

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 Just got back from a concert to find out Adelaide have gone down to Perth. Very concerning sounds like Adelaide played poorly and Perth played extremely well which suprises me greatly. This is why I don't bet too big first round!! Record after Rd 1 Bet 8 Units Returned 9.2 Units ROI 13.05%

Just got back from a concert to find out Adelaide have gone down to Perth. Very concerning sounds like Adelaide played poorly and Perth played extremely well which suprises me greatly. This is why I don't bet too big first round!! Record after Rd 1 Bet 8 Units Returned 9.2 Units ROI 13.05%
They didn't play badly, but Perth deserved the win I thought

Re: Australian A League Season 2011/2012 What do people think of the following? Melbourne Heart v Perth Glory - Both teams to score @ 1.72 Perth Glory DNB @ 2.25 Perth Glory @ 3.30 Over 2.5 goals @ 2.00 The reason I'm considering these is that Heart's defence was absolutely woeful last week, but they have very pacy forwards who could get in behind a slightly slow Glory backline (especially if Chris Coyne returns to the lineup). Even if Colosimo comes back into the Heart back four, the simple fact is the likes of Williams, Dugandzic, Fred, Hoffman, Maicon do not contribute anything defensively and Germano cannot be everywhere at once to protect a backline that contains youngsters like Behich, Roganovic, etc. There were some horrible backpasses against Newcastle that pretty much cost them the game - and I just get the feeling there will be goals in this one either way. Thoughts?

What do people think of the following? Melbourne Heart v Perth Glory - Both teams to score @ 1.72 Perth Glory DNB @ 2.25 Perth Glory @ 3.30 Over 2.5 goals @ 2.00 The reason I'm considering these is that Heart's defence was absolutely woeful last week, but they have very pacy forwards who could get in behind a slightly slow Glory backline (especially if Chris Coyne returns to the lineup). Even if Colosimo comes back into the Heart back four, the simple fact is the likes of Williams, Dugandzic, Fred, Hoffman, Maicon do not contribute anything defensively and Germano cannot be everywhere at once to protect a backline that contains youngsters like Behich, Roganovic, etc. There were some horrible backpasses against Newcastle that pretty much cost them the game - and I just get the feeling there will be goals in this one either way. Thoughts?
I like the look of Over 2.5 in this one, I agree that there may be a few goals scored, but it's far too hard to predict who will bag them.