** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Skittle's One Goal

Skittle

Surprisingly I got the Ajax bet taken.

2022-10-21
18:52    284987397990    2022-10-21
15:36    Fixtures 21 Oct / Ajax (W) v Excelsior (W)/ Over/Under 0.5 Goals / Over 0.5 Goals
Back        1.01    15.00    Won

19 minutes ago, aldric said:

Amazing to see two 1.01 bets in a row went down, would never think that would happen.

Can I be boring and suggest, given the sheer volume of bets in this thread, it would have been genuinely amazing if that had never happened? Every time you hit a loser at those odds there’s around a 100/1 chance that your next bet will be a loser.

Its a bit like as soon as you have something like 23 people in a room it becomes more likely than not that 2 of them will share a birthday. It seems amazing but given the size of the sample it becomes extremely likely, almost inevitable.

I'm not sure you can ever think it would never happen, that's why I will always think through on every bet instead of just randomly taking a 1.01 somewhere along the line just because it's priced at 1.01. It's the faint 'possibility' of the bet losing that makes me select in the manner that I do. 

2 hours ago, aldric said:

Just skimmed through the entire thread.  Some cracking runs you went on ?

Amazing to see two 1.01 bets in a row went down, would never think that would happen.

Incredible how you have kept going doing this after so many years!

It's simple really, I've found a 'system' or 'systems' of sorts that can make money, albeit slowly, and take enjoyment from it. 

6 minutes ago, Skittle said:

I'm not sure you can ever think it would never happen, that's why I will always think through on every bet instead of just randomly taking a 1.01 somewhere along the line just because it's priced at 1.01. It's the faint 'possibility' of the bet losing that makes me select in the manner that I do. 

There is always a chance something can lose, im surprised you and Harry manage to pull the trigger and place bets sometimes ?.

5 minutes ago, aldric said:

There is always a chance something can lose, im surprised you and Harry manage to pull the trigger and place bets sometimes ?.

Some people bet like Secret Affair (it's always "Time for Action") and if that's what they enjoy then it's obviously fine but it comes with a pretty much in-built guarantee of losing money in the long run. There just aren't that many genuine value bets to be had.

There are much easier ways of making money from betting than this approach and I'm still a way short of proving that I can do it (getting my bank back in the black would be stage one in proving that concept). I see people getting some very nice prices (even if only 1.01 or 1.02) late in games, snaffling the 1.01 before it disappears but it always reminds me of the man who once found a fiver in the street then ended up permanently bent double as he was always scouring the floor for the next one.

But profit is no doubt achievable with a patient and disciplined approach.

4 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

Some people bet like Secret Affair (it's always "Time for Action") and if that's what they enjoy then it's obviously fine but it comes with a pretty much in-built guarantee of losing money in the long run. There just aren't that many genuine value bets to be had.

Lol, love that analogy ?

I've never really been able to figure out what I feel is value.  I just go with what I think will win and if that means 10 bets a day or 1 it doesn't matter. 

Although the older I get the more selective I am becoming (it might not seem like it but you should have seen me in the old days!!  I remember betting on all random sports, women's indoor hockey and volleyball are 2 random sports I remember betting on! ??

Probably the most surprising thing is Mahrez missing a penalty despite not carrying any of my money! (Think I lost on him last time.)

Huge odds obviously if you called it in advance but just one of those things that happens when you bet on (or just follow) thousands of games over time.

Sometimes unlikely things happen (probably more often than most of us think) and sometimes they happen in close proximity.

You need a huge amount of good fortune to put together a run that gets high up on the leaderboard; the occasional “unreal” cluster of losses is just the yin to that yang.

15 hours ago, harry_rag said:

Probably the most surprising thing is Mahrez missing a penalty despite not carrying any of my money! (Think I lost on him last time.)

Huge odds obviously if you called it in advance but just one of those things that happens when you bet on (or just follow) thousands of games over time.

Sometimes unlikely things happen (probably more often than most of us think) and sometimes they happen in close proximity.

You need a huge amount of good fortune to put together a run that gets high up on the leaderboard; the occasional “unreal” cluster of losses is just the yin to that yang.

Definately a 'ying and yang' job. Haaland went off at half time otherwise he would have taken the pen. Mahrez has a poor record. C'est la vie.

Edited by Skittle

7 minutes ago, Skittle said:

Definately a 'ying and yang' job. Haaland went off at half time otherwise he would have taken the pen. Mahrez has a poor record. C'est la vie.

Really bad luck this one. you must win 1000 times.

Not sure if Haaland would have taken the penalty.

Mahrez missed last time, he wanted to score this time.

good luck for the next series