Gary Wiltshire on BBC today

In his role reporting the betting market he said in regards to Fame and Glory "... its the biggest gamble i've ever seen at Royal Ascot..." Does anyone think he was being honest when hyping up this gamble? The horse did win and i hope many armchair punters latched on (myself not included.) Surely it is a bit of an exaggeration to make such a claim having been in the trade himself for over 2 decades. The final Sp was 11/8 representing 42% of the book. Therefore there must have been money for the other 14 runners to balance the book.If it was such a big gamble wouldn't it have been odds on in the end ? Post race he claims bookie X and bookie Y lost £xmillions but being such a short price surely the losing bets more than made up for it? As usual when a well backed favorite wins he says the bookies have lost a fortune but i can't see it. In betting shops up and down the country small staking punters would have avoided a 11/8 shot and maybe gone EW on the 2nd/3rd/4th favorites which were unplaced. What do others think , am i taking a simplistic view of this?

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today I thought maybe it was the total money that had been put on the horse including ante-post from 6/1 all the way down. I don't personally remember anything being gambled on as much. There must have been plenty of money to shift the price that much and that quick in my opinion.

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today The gamble will have been started today. Antepost liabilities would be extremely minimal. Theres no doubt it was a massive gamble and all the big hitters came out to play. But can it be described as the biggest gamble ever at Royal Ascot.

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today My opinion would be that it was a pretty big gamble, it would be hard to move an already short priced favourite as much as that did today in a very strong market would take some money. Movement of bigger priced runners is fairly normal with a decent gamble but to move shorter priced runners is hard to suggest it was a big gamble

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today Not a fan of Wiltshire at all. So overrated, like many on the BBC. Surely it's also time for Carson to retire....he mentions every single horse in the race beforehand and then tells everyone afterwards that he had the winner:eyes. Don't mind Barty and, actually, Rishi Persad is better than he once was. Otherwise, they're pretty poor on BBC.

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today I absolutely dispise BBC covering anything, there's not a single likeable person on their team and I just sit on the computer and watch the races on telly, not the coverage. I hate Carson, wee weasel kinda thing isn't he? Hate Rishi Persad, absolutely useless, not a clue about horse racing. Did he find a photo of someone and blackmail his way in there or what's the story? Don't get me started on the heffer leading the whole lot.

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today The whole BBC coverage as a whole is appalling, Willie Carson can't but talk nonsense every time his mouth opens, As for Parrot and Wiltshire they contribute nothing but tell the punters repeatedly where the money is going. The only person who has a valid role is Claire Balding being the presenter.

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today Willie Carson must have been corrected on the wrong information he has given at least 2-3 times each day this week. He also calls the horses the wrong names all the time - Clanford Cliffs, Flame and Glory to name two but done it with loads of others too, I think he called the Varian runner Mitzaah earlier. Rishi Persad is pointless, asks the most dumb questions ever. They have a jumps jockey (Fitzgerald) covering the flat and a snooker player (Parrot) with a prominent role in the programme along with the most annoying obese bastard on TV (Wiltshire), ratings would shoot up if he had a heart attack live on air. ;) Massive gamble 100-30 into 11-4, not what I'd call massive you fcuking tub of lard. How did he get a job on TV? All they do is tell you the "steamers", I can just look on an odds comparison site to see what is getting backed, I don't need Laurel and Hardy telling me. :@If ATR wasn't such a dreadful picture I'd watch their coverage. I thought C4 was bad at times but this lot are a shambles.

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today Channel 4 coverage is very decent, I love Emma Ramsden. Is she gonna lose that Spencer surname or what? It's the only thing I have against her, unfortunately, I'd like to have lots of things against her. Also love John Francome, very intelligent, not afraid to be controversial and he is a living legend. Rest of them aren't bad either, crazy ex-Big Brother contestants aside.

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today Not too keen on the BBC coverage , the content inbetween races is awful. They have an opporunity to fill it with interesting featuretes because of no advert breaks but they seem to put on stuff that no horse racing fans don't enjoy. Why does fashion feature so much on BBC horseracing , who watches it for the fashion. Glad they sacked that repugnant James Sherwood but they replaced him with another irritating albeit cheaper knob. Don't like most of the presenters , Balding is full of herself , Persad waffler and arselicker. The post race analysis is very good but Bartlett has no charisma and Darley is too scared to tell bad mouth any jockey , so he sometimes does not give an accurate analysis. Do us a favour BBC and give whats left of your racing coverage to C4. Stop wasting license payers money.

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today I actually quite enjoy the banter between Wiltshire and Parrot, all they're doing is letting people know which horses have been backed, I dont see how anyone can be offeneded by them to be fair, they're only on for a minute or two every half hour anyway, some of you lot need to take a big swig of calm the fcuk down juice. Persad though is a completely different ball game. A total clown with not the first clue of horse racing. I tell you something now. These last two days are the first two I've heard him asking trainers relevant questions about the horse in questions recent form pre race and then it's possible targets post race. Im willing to bet a pound to a pinch of snuff that he's now being spoon fed these questions through an ear piece by someone in the directors suite. He's what you might call the face of positive discrimination. No way would he have that job were it not for his ethnicity. If he was called Richard Percy he'd be the bleeding tea boy. Carson is a horrible little sh1te who mumbles and stumbles and makes a mockery of the word professionalism every single day. Balding actually does a decent job of managing to remain calm and at least attempt to bring some respectability to the show considering she has to put up with that dumpling. Bartlett and Darley do a decent job as well. The fashion thing sends me up the wall but i've accepted that not everyone attends Ascot for the horses and as such not everyone that watches it on the T.V probably wants to hear about nothing else than horses so I suppose we shouldn't be so selfish on that respect. All in all. 7/10. OK, could do much better.

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today

I actually quite enjoy the banter between Wiltshire and Parrot, all they're doing is letting people know which horses have been backed, I dont see how anyone can be offeneded by them to be fair, they're only on for a minute or two every half hour anyway, some of you lot need to take a big swig of calm the fcuk down juice. Persad though is a completely different ball game. A total clown with not the first clue of horse racing. I tell you something now. These last two days are the first two I've heard him asking trainers relevant questions about the horse in questions recent form pre race and then it's possible targets post race. Im willing to bet a pound to a pinch of snuff that he's now being spoon fed these questions through an ear piece by someone in the directors suite. He's what you might call the face of positive discrimination. No way would he have that job were it not for his ethnicity. If he was called Richard Percy he'd be the bleeding tea boy. Carson is a horrible little sh1te who mumbles and stumbles and makes a mockery of the word professionalism every single day. Balding actually does a decent job of managing to remain calm and at least attempt to bring some respectability to the show considering she has to put up with that dumpling. Bartlett and Darley do a decent job as well. The fashion thing sends me up the wall but i've accepted that not everyone attends Ascot for the horses and as such not everyone that watches it on the T.V probably wants to hear about nothing else than horses so I suppose we shouldn't be so selfish on that respect. All in all. 7/10. OK, could do much better.
Spot on about Persad there. Its fairly well known that the only reason he got the job is because of the colour his skin, its a bit like Gina only getting the gig on ATR because shes female. I find Carson funny at times although mainly for the wrong reasons and I think they could probably do with getting Weaver on instead. Darley has improved from what I have seen of him this week and as for Fitzy he clearly knows nothing about Flat racing but it should be remembered that C4 use an ex jump jockey on Flat racing as well. I think the rest of what you say is right as well, the fashion annoys me especially this year as I actually liked Sherwood because he would slag people off which is always funny to watch, but as you say there will be people interested in the fashion and I understand why it needs to be covered.

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today Wiltshire and Parrot always get excited by even a slight bit of money. Not necessarily with regards to Ascot, but with their coverage in general, in their eyes, a 25/1 shot getting backed int 16/1 has sometimes been described as a gamble! I wonder what they think when they've seen Hugh Taylor's money go down in a morning?

Channel 4 coverage is very decent' date= I love Emma Ramsden. Is she gonna lose that Spencer surname or what? It's the only thing I have against her, unfortunately, I'd like to have lots of things against her. Also love John Francome, very intelligent, not afraid to be controversial and he is a living legend. Rest of them aren't bad either, crazy ex-Big Brother contestants aside.
Nah as she is married to the Spencer bloke it stays, Alex Hammond however is a different matter, for reasons I cant explain about what she has been up to recently As Hoiles & Holt are on duty at Ascot, Thompson is calling them at Newmarket:wall

Nah as she is married to the Spencer bloke it stays' date=' Alex Hammond however is a different matter, for reasons I cant explain about what she has been up to recently[/quote'] They not split up? They defs were at one stage. Alex Hammond ya say? Interesting. I would.

They not split up? They defs were at one stage. Alex Hammond ya say? Interesting. I would.
From what I have read they are living apart due to Jamie's little daliance with a certain female jockey, as for Alex, she has been a naughty girl too:moon

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today Jamie used to ride for Linda Ramsden but ended up riding her daughter too and marrying her. He then got greedy didn't he and did a bit of Miss Turner too? Emma Spencer looks even better in the flesh than on TV, very pretty. This Suzi Perry on BBC is a bit of a milf too.:p

Jamie used to ride for Linda Ramsden but ended up riding her daughter too and marrying her. He then got greedy didn't he and did a bit of Miss Turner too? Emma Spencer looks even better in the flesh than on TV' date=' very pretty. This Suzi Perry on BBC is a bit of a milf too.:p[/quote'] Ah yes Suzi "the minx" Perry used be date Nick Knowles and is now married to Bastien Bootzen (dunno what he is famous for) Yes Mowgli JS did get jiggy with HL, and Alex is a minx of the highest order

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today Looking on the bright side, all big festivals from now are on RUK. Ebor, Goodwood, Cheltenham, Aintree. Watched ATR for the first time this year. Watched a bit of BBC as well. All poor. RUK different class. Thank fcuk they have overseas streaming!!

Re: Gary Wiltshire on BBC today The Jamie and Hayley thing is pretty common knowledge but I must admit I never knew about Alex and AP nor about the fact she was with Hannon Jnr, who of course was married very brifely to Zoe Bird.