** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Arca is a blow, Taylor not so in my opinion. Steele is prone to errors so him being injured (which i am not too bothered about) may force Mowbray to play Coyne or bring in someone else like he did with Smith who impressed. I can see Lita leaving personally but if not then yeah, that price is good. If Hoyte went i wouldn't be too fussed either as McMahon is more than able. I trust Mogga to do the right things and the bonus with having him at the helm is that if we do get off to a slow start the usually fickle fans won't be on his back straight away and effecting the teams confidence.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season "Their forward line is likely to consist of past-it players with the physiques of pregnant women - Scotland, Ellington and Chopra are going to manage 7 games between them before rupturing knee ligaments in a pasty eating contest. Now that Wickham has been sold they're going to have very little movement and more importantly desire in the final third. “ Literally the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Chopra is generally fit. He was injured last season, so what. You name me a player who hasn't had injury trouble for 1 season. He scores goals, has good movement and is an absolute bargain for £1.5 mill. If you think otherwise, then thats up to you Scotland I agree with the movement - however, he played in literally every game last season so your 7 game thing is wide of the mark. He scored 10 goals in a horrendous team hoofing the ball under Keane. He loves the ball on the deck. This time he has a pre season ( didn't have 1 at Wigan ) and apparently looks up for it. If he stays he'll do better. Ellington I'm not at all sure on, however he's a freeby. So if he scores 5 or more, for my money that I'd take. Jewell got the best out of him before, also did quite well in Greece. Not hugely for this signing Priskin, who you failed to mention is quick and when on his game ( sadly less often than it should be ) is a good player. Very good link up play, sadly a shocking finisher Also, add to this we had such an uncreative midfield last season. We actually have a manager who likes to pass the ball around now, so I have a lot more faith in strikers getting chances. Messi would have struggled under Keane's HOOOOOF style approach. So yeah, just thought I'd comment on your comments. I think we're looking the best we have since Royle - but what happens, who knows its a bit of a lottery Which side do you support and how will your lot do ?

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

"Their forward line is likely to consist of past-it players with the physiques of pregnant women - Scotland, Ellington and Chopra are going to manage 7 games between them before rupturing knee ligaments in a pasty eating contest. Now that Wickham has been sold they're going to have very little movement and more importantly desire in the final third. “ Literally the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Chopra is generally fit. He was injured last season, so what. You name me a player who hasn't had injury trouble for 1 season. He scores goals, has good movement and is an absolute bargain for £1.5 mill. If you think otherwise, then thats up to you Scotland I agree with the movement - however, he played in literally every game last season so your 7 game thing is wide of the mark. He scored 10 goals in a horrendous team hoofing the ball under Keane. He loves the ball on the deck. This time he has a pre season ( didn't have 1 at Wigan ) and apparently looks up for it. If he stays he'll do better. Ellington I'm not at all sure on, however he's a freeby. So if he scores 5 or more, for my money that I'd take. Jewell got the best out of him before, also did quite well in Greece. Not hugely for this signing Priskin, who you failed to mention is quick and when on his game ( sadly less often than it should be ) is a good player. Very good link up play, sadly a shocking finisher Also, add to this we had such an uncreative midfield last season. We actually have a manager who likes to pass the ball around now, so I have a lot more faith in strikers getting chances. Messi would have struggled under Keane's HOOOOOF style approach. So yeah, just thought I'd comment on your comments. I think we're looking the best we have since Royle - but what happens, who knows its a bit of a lottery Which side do you support and how will your lot do ?
I'm a Watford fan. I've had the displeasure of watching Ellington bankrupt our club while doing very little in return. As for Priskin, hasn't he spent as much time on loan AWAY from Town? You're right though, I did forget about him! Obviously I can't speak for how well he performed for you guys but for us he was lazy - skilful, yes - and while he does prefer the ball to his feet, can you seriously say he'll ever hit 15 goals a season? I do think that Chopra is a good signing, and by the sounds of things he's having a good preseason, but again it's a guy who has never really got out of second gear on the scoring front (except the good season with arguably the second best team in the division in 09/10). I do like Ipswich as a club, but unfortunately I can't see them getting too far up the table - although I'll be happy to be proved wrong! You mentioned the poor midfield of last year - has it improved? (Genuine question here!)

As a Cardiff fan, I'm not too bothered about losing chops. Don't get me wrong, he's got pace and an eye for goal and I think the championship is his level. We resigned him for £4m which seemed ridiculous at the time and £1m is about right. For me it'd be a coin toss this season - it'll either be 20 goals or 20 pies. I don't think he'd have done well with us by staying but a new club may freshen him up. Until we get 12 games in, he's a gamble for me.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Hi all, Just thought id add my bit to the coventry to go down discussion and i too think that this could be their year to drop to the 3rd tier. I am friends with one of the players and the squad has been decimated without adequate replacements. The departure of King was not one that had the squad in mourning but it is obvious that his goals kept them up last season and there does not appear to be any money to bring a top goalscorer in. They have a decent midfield and Sammy Clingan will be captaining the side so all is not lost for them in that department. The defence is also solid if not spectacular and is easily not going to be the worse one in the league next season ( Peterboro anyone? ;)). There is still time for movement but the lack of funds is evident so youth players will once again be given a chance for squad involvement. They have a good record of decent players performing well from the youth set up which could be enough but a struggle is on the cards.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Tend to agree with a lot of the views on Chopra. The guys had more clubs than Jack Nickalus and as a fan you dont want a football nomad in your team that may be on his way when any transfer window opens. Clearly not the sort of player that can settle with any one club.

Tend to agree with a lot of the views on Chopra. The guys had more clubs than Jack Nickalus and as a fan you dont want a football nomad in your team that may be on his way when any transfer window opens. Clearly not the sort of player that can settle with any one club.
Is that really true though? He started his career at Newcastle where he looked promising but that never materialised, fair enough. So was farmed out on loan before Cardiff signed him permanently. All in all he's played for three clubs - yes he has been on loan elsewhere, but who hasnt :unsure And his stint at Cardiff shows quite a bit of loyalty and staying power. Mixed in with an attempt at the EPL again with Sunderland, when they were newly promoted and did struggle those first two seasons. I agree his injuries might be an issue, along with his general fitness. But I just don't agree he's a really really terrible signing because he has scored goals at this level.

Two outsiders I've been weighing up that I feel may out perform their odds are Portsmouth and Hull; do any of their fans have a view?
There are plenty of views on Portsmouth earlier in the thread ;) What are your views on Hull then? :)

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Birmingham will do well I think; Hughton is a great manager, in my opinion the best in the division (Sven possibly excepted). They have a very good defense, they just need a good creative midfielder and a couple of good strikers and I can see them going straight back up.

Birmingham will do well I think; Hughton is a great manager' date=' in my opinion the best in the division (Sven possibly excepted). They have a very good defense, they just need a good creative midfielder and a couple of good strikers and I can see them going straight back up.[/quote'] This season is a re-build for Birmingham and massive question marks still hang over the club. Hughton is a good guy and the players he has will want to play for him which is a good quality to possess but there's no way he is the best manager in the division. He had a great season getting Newcastle back up as champions but there was very little disruption to their squad from the previous season. For Birmingham this year it will be a different matter, Johnson, Phillips, Gardner, Larsson and Bowyer, have already departed with Ferguson, Jerome and Zigic currently holding negotiations with other clubs. Will Scott Dann and Ben Foster still be Birmingham players before the transfer window is closed? I seriously doubt it, effectively the entire first team is going to be decimated. The adjustment for them is going to hit hard IMO and I would not even bet on them to finish in the top 6 this year. There are clearly off the field issues also and that's generally a recipe for horrors. There are many teams far better equipped going into this new season and for me Birmingham will finish in the middle band of the Championship.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season West Ham have signed Matt Taylor. That just cements them as huge favourites in my book. He was immense when we had him in the Championship, and should easily chip in with at least ten goals at this level, from a wide position. With him and Nolan, that should easily be 25 goals alone from midfield.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Yeah i agree that West Ham have made 2 great signings in the form of Nolan and Taylor. Lets not forget the likes of Noble and Collision too who will add to the other promising youth products there such as Freddie Sears, Zavon Hines, Junior Stanislas and James Tompkins. They look the team to beat this year and with one top quality striker to replace Cole then the league is theirs for the taking. I was also looking, like everyone else, at Leicester but they have lost Yakubu who is back at Everton and have been linked with rep;lacing his goals with our top man:lol Emile Heskey! They have added to the squad in the form of Matt Mills, retained Kamara and have some exciting players such as Waghorn but if im looking for value then I would stick my money on hull to be promoted over Leicester. Hull have a great squad now and Fryatt will surly be up with the top scorers again if he remains fit. My top 2 at the moment is West Ham Hull A top 6 finish could be on for Southampton if they keep hold of Lambert, Lallana, Barnard, Chamberlin and Forte. Keep up the good debate :ok

Is there a web site where I can see all transfer moves in all teams in the lower leagues?
Championship : http://www.skysports.com/football/transfers/0,20367,11687__201107,00.html League 1 : http://www.skysports.com/football/transfers/0,20367,11718__201107,00.html League 2 : http://www.skysports.com/football/transfers/0,20367,11749__201107,00.html However if your looking for the Premiership ones check my List out on this website http://forum.punterslounge.com/f27/list-confirmed-premiership-summer-transfers-2011-a-117628/ :ok

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season What worries me with Leicester is only 11 players can play at one given time and they have about 25+ players that could play first-team football elsewhere if they wanted to. Once one or two get hacked off with sitting on the bench week in week out it could be another Adebayor/Bellamy/Bridge situation that Man City had. No prolific striker is another concern, if they have ideas of having Nugent as the vocal point of their goalscoring they may as well give up now. I listened to the friendly they had with Mallorca and he missed (skied) 3 clear cut chances that had the commentator baffled.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Agree. Nugent is well above his station. He had one mediocre season at Preston, which elevated his stock vastly above where it should have been. Even at Bury he had a poor goalscoring record.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Looks Cardiff have signed some good player,their latest signing is Kenny Miller from Bursaspor. In my opinion,Cardiff and Leicester are the teams with the best chances for the promotion. Leicester has signed some good players under Ericsson and I think he is good enough to bring the team to the top.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Hi folks ive just joined up here and ive pasted this link below in every league, i would like everyones opinions whats the stand out bets, from the season match betting below. Thanks everyone :D

Hi folks ive just joined up here and ive pasted this link below in every league' date=' i would like everyones opinions whats the stand out bets, from the season match betting below. Thanks everyone :D[/quote'] Link removed - other duplicate posts removed. Welcome to the forum, please read the rules before you carry on posting.

Sorry mate' date=' thought id seen someone elses post where you could do it, anyway i can get round this? Or Maybe like this[/quote'] And I'm sorry, but I've removed your copy & paste job as well. The point ali was making above is that these threads are for people to give opinions and share info, not for posting up lists of bets and asking others to do the work for you. Tell us what YOU think and you'll get plenty of opinions that way. :ok

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Oh ok thanks western skies, lets see if that works then lol. What about HULL 5/6 V IPSWICH 5/6 season match bet, i really fancy Hull big time. Im not going by there 3-0 win over liverpool before anyone says lol. They got Maclean, Fryatt and Jay Simpson upfront, the brilliant Robbie Koren in midfield ( used to play for my team wba and will get you 8 goals plus from middy) and signed Robbie Brady from Man Utd on loan nice tricky winger. Also what do people think Birmingham 8/11 v Notts Forest Evens Im not a great fan of Steve Mcclaren but Birmingham, if they quality for that europa league are gonna play thursday - sunday for a good few weeks, and there squad is so small, and more will be sold off im sure. They only had 1 fit striker v Hereford again yesterday. Forest have sold a good few strikers off, but bought in Greening and Boateng to add some experience to a young Forest Squad. So maybe Forest at EVENS is a decent bet?

Also what do people think Birmingham 8/11 v Notts Forest Evens Im not a great fan of Steve Mcclaren but Birmingham, if they quality for that europa league are gonna play thursday - sunday for a good few weeks, and there squad is so small, and more will be sold off im sure. They only had 1 fit striker v Hereford again yesterday.
How seriously Birmingham take the Europa league will make a huge difference. It'll be good for some extra cash, but they've got no chance of winning it, and their main aim will be to get back to the EPL, which is where the big money is. So, I can see them putting out weakened sides in Europe....they might beat a couple of minnows, but if they come up against anyone half decent I think they'll be happy to be eliminated.

Who you fancy Jase out of those 2 season match bets?
Couldn't say mate.... I'm not a fan of a lot of these ante post bets because a lot can change over the course of the season....For me you could probably argue a strong case for each selection and it's very tough to call. Birmingham and Forest look to be the weaker of the four though as both are undergoing a bit of transition....but really, that might not be a negative as both had been under the same stewardship for a number of years.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Thats why i do these bets Jase, i used to do like 5-6 teams to win on asaturday, but everytime 1 lets you down, this way i get the whole season worth for a bet, because like you say it can change. Who do you support, what teams do you fancy in all 4 divisions this year?

Who do you support, what teams do you fancy in all 4 divisions this year?
I support Pompey.....you may have taken note had you read the thread ;) If you want my advice, you need to start offering up your own opinions in the relevant threads :ok If anyone has something to say they will then contribute to the debate. Just randomly asking for help in a few threads won't achieve much, and a lot of punters will not be inclined to comment, as this forum is about contribution. And that works both ways....