UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October Twente v Werder Bremen This is a repeat of the last 32 match in the Europa Cup last year, where Werder Bremen came out 4-2 winners on aggregate, after a 4-1 win at home. However, they did lose on their travels to Twente. Twente are a strong side at home, with there last defeat coming all the way back in December 2009, with a 1-0 defeat to Fenerbache. Since then Twente have won 14 and drawn 3 at home, conceding only 9 goals in those 17 games (6 of which came in the last 3 home games). They've also scored 12 in there last 4 home games. Bremen are a weaker side than that of last year. Struggling in the Bundesliga they sit on 11 points after 8 games, although recent results are showing some improvement. However they're missing several players that played in the 4-1 win last year. Ozil has moved on to Madrid, whilst Pizzaro (who scored a hat-trick) and Naldo are both out big doubts for the game. Bremens away record in this competition is poor, they've failed to win in there last 8 away games in this competition, conceding 19 in those games. I feel that the value is definately with Twente here, with there strong home record and imo a team of equal or better quality than that of Bremens Twente @ 11/8 - 5pts - StanJames

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October

Hi all!! Victor Valdes (Barça's goalkeeper) is out of the squad. They was sick last night. He has had problems with a virus. He won't be able to play against FCK. Source: Radio Marca (Spain) I think the big value in this match is Both to score @ 2.50 (Stanjames) Pinto isn't as good as Valdes, I think he is two classes below Victor Valdes. Best of Luck Regards
In my opinion Copenhagen is a very good and organised team, and since their season is endind they are in better physical form than Barcelona and they did well in their 2 opening games and might be able to get something from this game. Draw @ 9.00 William Hill

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October I had my biggest win of the season last night in the UCL with all four of my selections coming in. Tonight I'm just gonna settle with a double. Rangers vs Valencia Valencia to win @ 2.15 via William Hill Rangers are nowhere near Valencia in terms of quality. If it wasn't because of a near perfect Barcelona performance in the second half of their match on the weekend, Valencia would've beaten the Spanish champions, away from home. They're playing very well and have some serious talent in their squad. Unai Emery welcomes back playmaker Ever Banega into his sqaud and I think their creativity will be too much for Rangers to cope with. Rangers also have their first Old Firm derby on the horizon this weekend and I'm sure one eye will be on that for Walter Smith. William Hill have the -1 handicap at 11/4 which is very tempting but I won't be greedy and will just settle for the home win. Inter Milan vs Tottenham Hotspur Over 2.5 goals @ 1.80 via William Hill This is the most interesting match of the Champions League ties for me and I cant pick a result. However, I do know that both teams are capable of scoring goals whoever they play against and I'm sure there will be a few tonight. Tottenham are playing in the Champions League for the first time in 50 years and I don't think many people expect big things from them. They're without Defoe, Van der Vaart and Ledley King tonight however I think Redknapp will instill into his players to just go out, have fun and express yourselves in front of 60,000+ fans. Cambiasso is out for the Italian champions which increases Spurs' chances of scoring considerably. If there's an early goal, I think there'll be alot more. The double pays 3.87 at William Hill. Lets hope my winning streak continues. Get involved.

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October Twente - Werder Interesting points found out in Eurosport: Twente played Bremen in last season’s Europa League winning 1-0 at home but losing 1-4 in Germany. The Dutch champions have only won two of 13 matches against German opposition in Europe, but both victories have come in their last two home games. Bremen have won three of 12 matches against Dutch sides in Europe, but have lost five and drawn one of their six away games. All three of Twente’s goals have been scored from set piece situations. Bremen have only won one of their last 15 away Champions League matches and only kept one clean sheet in that run too. So, to add up Twentes home form wich is remarkably strong and a quick reminder how great they were against Inter in the first game, Im going for home win this time..Werder has been pretty bad in almost all of their away matches, Bundesliga and Champions League, altought today they welcome back many important first team members , but so will Twente. Theo Janssen, a goal hero vs Inter for example. He is taking all the free kicks there and so far he has scored and succeeded with those. Werder is known of his super attacking mentality, but Twente definitely has players who can exploit it, as we saw against Inter. I was holding my breath in almost every counter they got, they had a great game that night. And Inters D is 10X stronger than Werder Bremens. That is a fact! Take home win 2.35 @ Pinnacle :hope

Do they? Apart from Lennon and Bale, they're quite slow, especially without Defoe up front.
errr, well that's where I would like the pace if they're going to be playing a counter attacking style.

Inter Milan vs Tottenham Hotspur Over 2.5 goals @ 1.80 via William Hill This is the most interesting match of the Champions League ties for me and I cant pick a result. However, I do know that both teams are capable of scoring goals whoever they play against and I'm sure there will be a few tonight. Tottenham are playing in the Champions League for the first time in 50 years and I don't think many people expect big things from them. They're without Defoe, Van der Vaart and Ledley King tonight however I think Redknapp will instill into his players to just go out, have fun and express yourselves in front of 60,000+ fans. Cambiasso is out for the Italian champions which increases Spurs' chances of scoring considerably. If there's an early goal, I think there'll be alot more.
According to uefa.com Cambiasso is available.

errr' date=' well that's where I would like the pace if they're going to be playing a counter attacking style.[/quote'] Spurs are missing a vital ingredient if they want to be a counter attacking side, that is the ability to defend well and in numbers they have proved time and time again bar prob the Man City game at the end of last season that they cannot do this and I have seen nothing this season to think otherwise. Plus they now have a back four that has rarely, if ever, lined up together. There is no logical argument for me for Spurs to get anything.

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October Inter welcomes some important players back tonight, but there are still ? of who will get the midfield position next to Stankovic and who will play in LB.. Cambiasso and Motta, they seem to be ok, but Ill doubt Benitez will risk them. After all they are in final phases of their rehab( Motta a little ahead due to getting some minutes against Cagliari, but still not 100% obviously) . Some sites say Motta will play from the start with Stankovic and then Zanetti takes over the LB and some say both Motta and Cambiasso will sit on the bench and Zanetti-Stankovic will guard the D and Chivu takes over the LB..We will see tonight. Other than these ?, the rest we know who will play where..

In my opinion Copenhagen is a very good and organised team, and since their season is endind they are in better physical form than Barcelona and they did well in their 2 opening games and might be able to get something from this game. Draw @ 9.00 William Hill
I'm sorry to say but the Danish league hasn't ended yet. In fact there are still 22 games to go and the season doesn't end until May next year. I think you're confusing it with the Swedish and Norwegian leagues which both start around March/April and end in November.

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October Afternoon everyone, Interesting game for me tonight in the CL, unfortunately I will have to watch it via sky plus later in the evening as I am out at my own training during the match. However, Rangers interest me obviously because they are Celtic's biggest rivals and title challengers in the Scottish Premier League, whilst Valencia interest me as they, along with Bareclona, are my two favourites Spanish teams to watch. So I have picked out one or two bets for this one.. Rangers v Valencia - Valencia win @ 2.14 (Betfair) 8/10 Valencia (-1 AH) win @ 3.10 (Bet365) 2/10 Both sides come into this tie off very impressive starts to their domestic seasons. Rangers have won their first 8 and sit joint top of the league whilst Valencia have won 5, drawn 1 and lost 1 to find themselves one point off top spot in 4th position in La Liga. Los Che had a hard game at the weekend away to high flyers Barcelona, the visitors went one nil up in the first half and but for an extremely clinical and impressive second spell for Barca, Valencia might have left the Nou Camp with all three points. I feel Valencia were slightly underestimated going into this years domestic and european seasons due to the fact they lost arguably their two star players in David Villa and David Silva over the summer transfer window, however they have proved many wrong and they actually may even look stronger this season than they have previously. They have a strong and talented team and they will be coming to Ibrox to pick up three points after losing at home last round to Manchester United. Their manager has already stated his teams intention is to come to Scotland and get the win, the draw is not enough for him nor his men. He has stated he feels it's a head to head battle with Rangers in the race for qualification to the last 16 and he is adamant he will not let any of his players slip up tonight in Ibrox. Rangers, as already stated have had a solid if not spectacular start to their domestic campaign this season. They have won every game which is all the fans really can ask for, however in Europe it is a slightly different story. They picked up an impressive draw at Old Trafford on matchday one, albeit SAF had 'rested' nearly all of his first team stars for the tie and the game lacked any real quality and/or urgency, this could be a compliemtn to the way Rangers defended on the evening. On matchday two however, they overcame Turkish champions Budaspor at Ibrox 1-0, again the game was a bit of a flat affair and Rangers seemed to be satisfied hitting the Turks on the counter attack. Tonight Smith has already said his team would be satisfied with a draw, and who can really blame him, the level in quality between the two sides is vast. However, in my opinion tonight is the biggest challenge this defensive Rangers system will have to have faced thus far this season. Valencia are coming to Ibrox to get the win, no resting players, no lack of urgency, the Spanairds want the win and I feel they will hit the Rangers defence with the same amazing pace and attack they hit the Barcelona defence with from the first whistle at the weekend. I feel the Spanish side will have to much for Rangers to keep them out, even with Alan McGregor in goals having enjoyed probably his best spell of his career recently. If they can get an early goal then the home side will need to be a bit more attacking and that will create space for Valencia to secure a second. If they don't score early and only win by the one goal I'll still recieve money back on my second line anyway so it's worth a small risk and I can see Los Che going for the win from the off. These are the two bets I am going with currently, goog luck everyone :hope:hope

Spurs are missing a vital ingredient if they want to be a counter attacking side' date=' that is the ability to defend well and in numbers they have proved time and time again bar prob the Man City game at the end of last season that they cannot do this and I have seen nothing this season to think otherwise. Plus they now have a back four that has rarely, if ever, lined up together. There is no logical argument for me for Spurs to get anything.[/quote'] Well that's just wrong, last season Spurs had one of the best defensive records in the league and it was ultimately our ability to hold onto leads/points that got us to 4th, as down the stretch of the season we weren't scoring as freely as we would've liked. This is just a tired cliche that always gets used when describing Spurs. Your last point about our present back 4 is fair enough, it's just an unfortunate situation to be in, take 4 Centre Backs out of any club club and they're going to struggle, which is then made even worse with our usualy solid and reliable right back(Corluka) completely out of form.

Well that's just wrong, last season Spurs had one of the best defensive records in the league and it was ultimately our ability to hold onto leads/points that got us to 4th, as down the stretch of the season we weren't scoring as freely as we would've liked. This is just a tired cliche that always gets used when describing Spurs. Your last point about our present back 4 is fair enough, it's just an unfortunate situation to be in, take 4 Centre Backs out of any club club and they're going to struggle, which is then made even worse with our usualy solid and reliable right back(Corluka) completely out of form.
Well its not last season its this season, and Spurs haven't kept a clean sheet since the Young Boys game at home when the opposition were very poor, if you need my earlier post on the game I refer to a Champions League mentality and ability to defend in the way that Spurs can't. If anyone watched the games against Bremen and Twente (not so much in this game but they were against a poor side, but it was still there) they will have seen a side that gets tactically bullied and lacks the european experience to go far in the competition, I remember watching the Twente game and thinking Spurs will be in trouble if they come up against a good side in this comp and I think tonight there will be a realisation of the level you are at in the european game. You are up against a very tactically, technically astute side and I expect Inter to win. Inter -1AH 2.14 (betchronicle)

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October I don't feel confident with most games tonight, I see better options in South America and some minor competitions. Still, with good reasoning I read here I had a few - Over 3 Goals in Twente, Over 2,5 in Schalke and Milano, and Over 3 in Manchester. All with bet365. The last one is opposing blackcrow - I feel the Turks won't go out to defend, with no chance ( IMO ) in the group at least they got pride and will be out to impress. I expect them to score, but if I am wrong then I still got United to score 3 or 4. GL all

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October I don't really buy into this "tactically bullied" idea, it's still a game of football, the rules don't suddenly change because it's the Champions League, it's not like we don't know what we're up against or the manager we're up against, I think that's a weak argument that is used time and time again. If we lose then it'll be because Inter were better not because we're tactically naive. You mentioned our supposed defensive deficiencies from last season so I addressed that. I've already said I can't see us getting anything(obviously I hope I'm wrong) I just think we have too many injuries at the back currently so I'd expect Inter to really trouble us in that department - especially with the way Eto'o is playing currently.

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October Barcelona vs Copenhagen over 3 goals @ 1.85 bet365 Watching Barca against Valencia last week was an astonishing 2nd half,really barca can be @ its best WHEN THEY WANT..certainly theres a 'hole' in the team where ibrahimovich was playing but still even a weak barca for me is far much better than a strong copenhagen @ camp nou. In my opinion pep guardiola will delight his fans today as R.madrid fans enjoyed yesterday..Surely dont deny the good form of copenhagen for the moment so maybe they could find a goal @ camp nou.Expecting a barca win of 3-1/4-1 something tonight. Will also go for Messi first goalscorer + time of first goal 1-20mins @ 7 bet365 quite a good value in my opinion. Sorry for the crap english..and gud luck to you all PL mates..enjoy:ok

I'm sorry to say but the Danish league hasn't ended yet. In fact there are still 22 games to go and the season doesn't end until May next year. I think you're confusing it with the Swedish and Norwegian leagues which both start around March/April and end in November.
Sorry didn't know that.

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October Man utd HT/FT @ 1.7 bet365 Surely man u demonstrating quite some weakness in the team but do believe in their superiority over bursaspor and above all in european competitions. They demonstrate quite fluid play in their 1st half as against w.brom last weekend and expecting same here hopefully they'll be able to manage their 'energy' for the 2nd half too today and learned from their not far devastating result against an impressive w.brom last wkend. GL everyone..

Man utd HT/FT @ 1.7 bet365 Surely man u demonstrating quite some weakness in the team but do believe in their superiority over bursaspor and above all in european competitions. They demonstrate quite fluid play in their 1st half as against w.brom last weekend and expecting same here hopefully they'll be able to manage their 'energy' for the 2nd half too today and learned from their not far devastating result against an impressive w.brom last wkend. GL everyone..
It's 1.66 and has been... :)

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October INTER -1 Even if I initially decided avoid betting to this game, I made second thoughts since Tottenham recently proved that is playing very well and is worth a medium bet. Away scored twice against Werder Bremen and Fulham where derbies at Craven Cottage are always not easy. Inter couldn’t win Twente, Roma and Juventus but only Gagliari –by one goal - which is currently out of form. Tottenham will play with the Champions tonight and they will want to prove that they deserve to play at this level. It won’t be an easy match and if Inter wins it will be with one goal difference. SCHALKE TO WIN I do not know much about Schalke apart from two things 1) The fact that they have a great coach who said that he will stay with the team until they get the Bundesliga title. This indicates stability to the club and that good results will come in the future. 2) And won Benfica at home (2-0). Although they have to concentrate to Bundesliga simultaneously want to prove that they deserve to play to CL, and Hapoel Tel Aviv is the perfect victim. good luck Secondary Bet I believe Rubin Kazan won't lose tonight just because currently are better team than Panathinaikos and If guarantee a draw tonight they have Panathinakos and Kobenhanv at home where Russia is always difficult place to visit. So it is a crucial match for them to secure at least one point.

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October One for me. 4pts Man Utd vs Bursaspor - Under 3 goals 1.97 Pinnacle Lovely price on this line in my opinion. The Turkish outfit haven't scored in their last 5 European away matches and haven't notched in the CL this season yet either. I see no reason why we'll suddenly get a glut of goals from the visitors tonight. For the hosts, there's no Rooney, Owen or Giggs - all solid enough goalscoring options. United look like going in with this 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation they usually use in Europe but surprisingly Berbatov is on the bench with Macheda leading the line. Nani and Park look like being the wide options and while Nani is a real goal threat I don't feel Park is as big a one. Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson aren't regular scorers so I certainly don't see United scoring 4 tonight. Will they score 3? I don't think so but at least we get a refund if they do. Bursaspor will probably hit damage limitation mode from the outset and United, who struggled to break Rangers down here in CL matchday 1, make take a while to break through. All isn't completely rosy at Old Trafford at the minute with the Rooney situation breaking more and more by the minute. I'm happy United won't concede tonight but equally I don't think they'll score 4 so at 1.97 I'm happy to go with the Turkish side limiting the English runners-up to 2 goals with cash back if they do concede a 3rd.

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October Busapor + 4 corners is @ 19/20 hmm... Man Utd struggled to rack up corners against Rangers, but there's no guarantee lightning will strike twice, but im still willing to oppose them my only concern is if Busarpor will venture into Man United Half, or will they sit an try an grind out a draw. so also covering Man Utd CS 2-0, 3-0 Inter caught my eye, the San Siro might be a step to far for Spurs, also with players returning i'm bit more confident now, also i see this being more of an unders game than an overs game. Valencia / Rangers Under 2.5 written all over..... Will make my mind up on all bet in 20mins an stick them on midwek bets

richie foster starts for rangers tonight . imo hes the worst player that will ever grace the champions league
Staggering news! :eek He'll be Valencia's 12th man. Cannot overstate how good this news is for all Valencia-backers. Ricky Foster's surely only on loan at Rangers to make up the numbers at 5-a-sides in training.

Re: UEFA Champions League > Wednesday 20th October I'm waiting for the team news but one bet that catches my eye is 1 team to score at 8/11 at sportingbet....as mentioned already Bursaspor have failed to score in the champs league,had 2 shots on target at home to Valencia and 3 shots on target at Ibrox.....United with the predicted team lineup might struggle to break them down but I fancy at least 1-0.......