maximize.gif Spain v Lithuania (21:00 BST) 1.06 10 26 107.72 %
Saturday 9 October 2010 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif France v Romania (20:00 BST) 1.57 3.75 6.3 106.18 %
maximize.gif Israel v Croatia (20:05 BST) 2.85 3.2 2.5 106.34 %

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October Just some early scratchings to debate over... I'm looking for a solid accumulator and considering: Slovenia at home to beat Faroe Isalnds - Slovenia were in the WC and were a very tough to beat unit. Belarus who beat France in Paris to beat Louxembourg away The dutch away to Moldova - nuff said And Spain at home to Lithuania - nuff said but Lithuania seems like the sort of team that might be better than their reputation, not 100% on this one especially if Spain take 3 points for granted Does anyone see flaws with my picks and are there potential upsets in any of these games? I dont care about what the odds will be just that the selections are succesful Cheers

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October Hi bazzer, i cannot agree with your Germany-pick. The DFB made a big mistake by placing this important match in Germany's multicultural capital Berlin. Thats why there will be a majority of Turkey-supporters in the Olympiastadion at friday - and we all know what atmosphere they are able to create. This will push the Turkish team, who are already quite self-confident after a good start in the Qualifying, and i expect a quite aggressive way of playing from their side. The Germans however don't like this kind of match. Furthermore some german players are not playing in the shape of the WC. Particularly the Bayern players (Müller, Klose, Schweinsteiger, Badstuber, Lahm, (Kroos, Gomez)) could have lost their self-conception after the awful start in the Bundesliga. Özil with a good performance yesterday for Madrid, but at friday he will be in a conflict playing against the home-country of his parents and I think he will be tackled quite hard. The defence players Mertesacker and Westermann revealed their instability in the recent Bundesliga matches, and Jerome Boateng returns after an injury. I have to concede that I don't know that much about the current shape of each of the turkish players - would be great if someone can write some information. All in all i expect a tough match - and I think that the Turkish have good chances to earn one point. Also because of the fact that Hiddink will give them the right tactics! I'm atm reflecting about the right bets. I've shortlisted AHC Turkey +0,75 @2,35 Double chance Turkey @2,5 and also some HT/FT bets: Draw/Draw@ 7,0 Turkey/Draw@19,0 (!!) (all odds from bet365) Looking forward to get some feedback, Philip

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October

Hi bazzer, i cannot agree with your Germany-pick. The DFB made a big mistake by placing this important match in Germany's multicultural capital Berlin. Thats why there will be a majority of Turkey-supporters in the Olympiastadion at friday - and we all know what atmosphere they are able to create. This will push the Turkish team, who are already quite self-confident after a good start in the Qualifying, and i expect a quite aggressive way of playing from their side. The Germans however don't like this kind of match. Furthermore some german players are not playing in the shape of the WC. Particularly the Bayern players (Müller, Klose, Schweinsteiger, Badstuber, Lahm, (Kroos, Gomez)) could have lost their self-conception after the awful start in the Bundesliga. Özil with a good performance yesterday for Madrid, but at friday he will be in a conflict playing against the home-country of his parents and I think he will be tackled quite hard. The defence players Mertesacker and Westermann revealed their instability in the recent Bundesliga matches, and Jerome Boateng returns after an injury. I have to concede that I don't know that much about the current shape of each of the turkish players - would be great if someone can write some information. All in all i expect a tough match - and I think that the Turkish have good chances to earn one point. Also because of the fact that Hiddink will give them the right tactics! I'm atm reflecting about the right bets. I've shortlisted AHC Turkey +0,75 @2,35 Double chance Turkey @2,5 and also some HT/FT bets: Draw/Draw@ 7,0 Turkey/Draw@19,0 (!!) (all odds from bet365) Looking forward to get some feedback, Philip
I find it unlikely that there will be a 'majority' of Turkish fans in the stadium, there will probably be more than if it were being played in another city but I can't imagine there will be that many, Germans seem to be a fairly patriotic lot these days and can't imagine they will let themselves be outnumbered in their own national stadium.. I expect as there are plenty of Turkish punters on here you will get a view of the Turkish team, hopefully it will be an informative one. I find it unlikely Germany will lose but as a German I respect your opinion, the form of Bayern cannot be ignored..agree Ozil looked good last night. There is little value in Germany though by the looks of it, a fairly lousy coupon all round to be honest. The idea of creating a long accum with a ton of teams priced at about 1.03 as suggested earlier is none too appealing..

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October Turkey will have two important games which in my opinion will be very psychological, if I can say so. I refer to games against Germany and us (Azerbaijan). These games can be considered as derbies, so plenty of cards won't surprise me.

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October Well, I have to admit that talking about an majority was wrong:unsure, but reliable German sources are expecting some 30.000 Turkish supporters out of 75.000. And they are usually of a different character than the German spectators who can get fidgety and impatient when the team is not playing its attacking short passing game. Well, the spectators aren't the main reason i see the Germans to flounder, but it should be considered. Latest bad news for Jogi Löw: Besides Jansen, Schweinsteiger and probably Großkreutz are missing at friday. And, HastGill1, I insist on the fact that I've not predicted that Germany will loose.:) But in my mind, the value here is rather betting on AHC Turkey +0,75 @ 2,30 than AHC Germany -1,5 @ 2,1 as buzzer suggested. I'm looking forward to friday, Philip

Well, I have to admit that talking about an majority was wrong:unsure, but reliable German sources are expecting some 30.000 Turkish supporters out of 75.000. And they are usually of a different character than the German spectators who can get fidgety and impatient when the team is not playing its attacking short passing game. Well, the spectators aren't the main reason i see the Germans to flounder, but it should be considered. Latest bad news for Jogi Löw: Besides Jansen, Schweinsteiger and probably Großkreutz are missing at friday. And, HastGill1, I insist on the fact that I've not predicted that Germany will loose.:) But in my mind, the value here is rather betting on AHC Turkey +0,75 @ 2,30 than AHC Germany -1,5 @ 2,1 as buzzer suggested. I'm looking forward to friday, Philip
:welcome PL mate. Good first few posts. Great to add to the German following on the forum :ok

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October Germany price is very delicious considering their wealth of experience, talent and desire. I can't look beyond a comfortable Germany victory, probably by two goals and more, against a Turkish team who are technically and mentally not as strong as Die Mannschaft. Also look at the price on Italy (4/6) to beat Northern Ireland in a tasty double. The Italians have far too much intellect and ability to fail to record a comprehensive victory against a very poor side indeed.

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October Portugal v Denmark - Draw or Denmark double chance 2.15 (bet365) It was just over two years ago that Denmark embarrassed Portugal 3-2 in a WC qualifier in Portugal. Think the Danes will have a massive psychological edge here - there will be plenty of hype, but I really dont think that Portugal have come any further since then - if anything they are even more crammed with prima donna whingers. (not wingers..) Portugal have hardly impressed so far in the EURO campaign and I cannot see this improving here. Their 'star' players never seem up for it anyway, so I think Denmark will hold them at least here.

Germany price is very delicious considering their wealth of experience, talent and desire. I can't look beyond a comfortable Germany victory, probably by two goals and more, against a Turkish team who are technically and mentally not as strong as Die Mannschaft. Also look at the price on Italy (4/6) to beat Northern Ireland in a tasty double. The Italians have far too much intellect and ability to fail to record a comprehensive victory against a very poor side indeed.
It's interesting to read what you have to say as I was considering backing Northern Ireland on the handicap. People thought Italy had too much intellect and ability to fail to beat New Zealand and Slovakia in the World Cup. What has changed since then? How good is the current squad in your opinion? Personally I would not call Northern Ireland a very poor side, they got a good win in Slovenia in their last game and I can recall them beating Spain at home a few years ago. I'm interested in people's opinions on this game because it's one that caught my eye.

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October I expect Ireland-Russia to be a very tight game with Ireland the most likely winners. Also, since Ireland plays defensive football I do not expect many goals in this game and think Ireland will win 1-0. But instead of taking just 1-0 correct score I think it will be much better to take some scorecast bets involving Keane, Doyle or McGeady

It's interesting to read what you have to say as I was considering backing Northern Ireland on the handicap. People thought Italy had too much intellect and ability to fail to beat New Zealand and Slovakia in the World Cup. What has changed since then?
The coach. The football. The altitude. I expect Italy to win this by a couple of goals at least.

The coach. The football. The altitude. I expect Italy to win this by a couple of goals at least.
It is clear you don't know much about International football. Many rainy nights have passed in Belfast and many victims too. In only the last 6 years, Spain lost there, Sweden lost, England lost, Denmark lost. On the other side, NI was beaten home by weaker opponents as Poland and even Iceland. This team has the word upset written in their DNA. They come from an encouraging win in Slovenia and they have a decent team with a decent coach. I cannot say if friday night will be one of those magic nights in belfast, but taking a barely average Italy side at -0.75 would be a major mistake.

Hello Philip. This was more of an example and I agree with what you're saying. WC 2010 was the first time I bet on international matches so i'm going to sit down tonight and do my research. Could you please explain the 'double chance'. I have seen this option on Ladbrokes but have always stayed cleared. Thankyou :)
Double chance means you cover two results, and there are 3 possibilities: 1) Team A Win or Draw 2) Team B Win or Draw 3) Team A Win or Team B Win.

Are you totally out of your mind? If Italy could not even beat Estonia in first half and even lose it and only win 2-1 how can you "expect" them to win against Northern Ireland away by a couple of goals? I can remember how Sweden had big problems away to NI with our best team in great form including Ibrahimovic. Cyprus 3.10 There is nothing special about Norway at all. Sure they have won two straight but it's quite typical for Norway to lose after winning 1 or 2. Cyprus can definitely win this. Wales vs Bulgaria Draw 3.20 I can see other outcomes here but draw is most likely. Bosnia 2.30 Ibisevic scores first?

It is clear you don't know much about International football. Many rainy nights have passed in Belfast and many victims too. In only the last 6 years, Spain lost there, Sweden lost, England lost, Denmark lost. On the other side, NI was beaten home by weaker opponents as Poland and even Iceland. This team has the word upset written in their DNA. They come from an encouraging win in Slovenia and they have a decent team with a decent coach. I cannot say if friday night will be one of those magic nights in belfast, but taking a barely average Italy side at -0.75 would be a major mistake.
It would be a massive upset if Northern Ireland were able to get a draw against a determined and hungry Italian side. To say the current Azzurri team is barely average is ridiculous. The Azzurri has some of the most talented individuals in the world who would walk into almost any side. Teams like England must look on with great envy at the amount of local talent is playing for top sides in Serie A. The players travelling to Northern Ireland will be extremely proud to have an opportunity to cement themselves a place in the team with a good performance. 4/5 on Betfair seems a very fair price given the massive gulf in talent and experience. It's not a 100% bank job by any means, but I will definitely be having a sizable bet on this. And I will Italy in many of my accas this weekend.

It would be a massive upset if Northern Ireland were able to get a draw against a determined and hungry Italian side. To say the current Azzurri team is barely average is ridiculous. The Azzurri has some of the most talented individuals in the world who would walk into almost any side. Teams like England must look on with great envy at the amount of local talent is playing for top sides in Serie A. The players travelling to Northern Ireland will be extremely proud to have an opportunity to cement themselves a place in the team with a good performance. 4/5 on Betfair seems a very fair price given the massive gulf in talent and experience. It's not a 100% bank job by any means, but I will definitely be having a sizable bet on this. And I will Italy in many of my accas this weekend.
I mean "barely average" when compared to the level of past italian teams. Yesterday Prandelli declared that Italy is suffering from a lack of young talents. And he is the national team coach. Italy struggled in Estonia, they scored twice from corner-kicks following naive defending by the Estonians. FIFA ranking (not religion, as they take into account also friendlies, but still a good benchmark) places Italy outside the top-10 in the world (currently #13). In the current italian squad only Buffon (injured), Chiellini, Pirlo and De Rossi would be starters in a top-club and maybe Balotelli (injured too). Players like Sirigu, Molinaro, Cassani, Bonucci, Pepe (alla starters in Estonia) are average at International level, there are tens of players of similar level around. Cassano is our only classy player upfront. Of the strikers Gilardino is injured, we have Pazzini, Borriello (sold by Milan to Roma after Ibra was signed) and Giuseppe Rossi, all good players but the top countries have better ones (we don't have players like Villa, Messi or Robben,etc).

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October Germany was the flash team of WC 2010. They scored plenty with Müller and Mesut and also very solid at the back. but this was with Schweinsteiger. He is good at the both sides of the pitch; defensive and offensive. He wont be in the German squad because of his injury. This will effect the strategy of Löw against Turkey. He can use a defensive name and want to stop turkish attacks that come from center with Nuri Şahin and Emre Belözoğlu. On the other side Arda is doubtful against Germany. he is an important first team player that can keep the ball on forward, pass the his defender easily. If he wont play this cause a trouble in scoring goals for Turkey. We expect much more from Nuri Şahin now. He is on fire and scored a beautiful goal from a free kick against Bayern last week. Both teams have important missings but fans will watch tough and close match. This game wont be missed. Both sides will be extra careful and they dont want to give 3 points to their rival. 35000 turkish fans are expected in the stadium so turkish players will be much more confident and relax than other away games. Last match these two teams played is in the semis of the Euro 2008. Germany won 3-2 in the last minute of 90 min. My bets are; under 2.5 goals @2.10 betsson 6/10 first half X @2.29 betsson 5/10 AH +1 Turkey @1.81 betsson 6.5/10 GL. all

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October Andora v Macedonia under 2.5 goals @2.60 Andora is picking up a bit lately :) No laugh,but after big lose against Ukraine 6-0 they only lose now buy not more then 2 goals.Defence is getting better but with no top striker they very rarely score too. As for Macedonia...i would not even call them medicore team.Very weak at the moment with no fire power up front.I see them strugle to break Andora's "solid" defence and think they will be happy even with 1-0 here.

tbh I don't often like to see reasoning like this because it's basically saying "team A are better than team B, which equates to Team A winning". If we're discussing two sides where there is a clear, and I mean a very clear class difference, or where one opponent is lacking apparent team spirit and / or form, then that's a totally different matter. I can't see Northern Ireland qualifying myself, but they will always give 110%. What we get with Northern Ireland is a hard working, organised determined side, and you can be sure if they get the chance they have players to put the ball in the back of the net. The initial odds on Italy were poor, and it's no surprise to me that they've now risen closer to 1.80. They could win, and yes you're right, they can put out a very decent side at this level. But, if only it were as easy as selecting the "better" opposition to win :eyes

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October Hi guys. Long time reader, first time poster. One shout for me in this weekend's fixtures. Republic of Ireland v Russia - Ireland 0 AH @ 1.847 with Pinnacle (5/10) Republic of Ireland have been a work in progress for Giovanni Trappatoni and I think they're now ready to qualify for their first major finals since the 2002 World Cup. The Italian has built a strong, solid team with flashes of quality from the likes of Robbie Keane, Aiden McGeady and Damien Duff (although he misses this one). It's a side full of Premiership and equivalent level experience and they know how to gut matches like this out. Russia meanwhile haven't quite lived up to the high expectations they set themselves at Euro 2008. With the appointment of Dick Advocaat, they're looking to replicate their success under Guss Hiddink, but football is never that simple and their 1-0 reverse at home to Slovakia in the last round of fixtures showed they're not back to their best. After a cruel loss to France in the World Cup play-offs, Ireland will sense this is a big chance to get back to a tournament. Their group lacks any of the traditional "big hitters" and for many of the side, this might be their last chance to play on the biggest stage. On the team front, Russia will miss the injured Pavlyuchenko just as he's showing some form for Spurs. Aleksander Kerzhakov is in great form for Zenit, though, and will be a danger. At home, though, I think Ireland will be solid enough to at least not lose and I'm happy to take them with full draw cover.

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October 9 posts deleted here guys, because they were just ramblings - that stuff can be done via PM or email. :ok What we want is good quality reasoning behind bets as always. :ok Look at Lennox, first post on the forum and it's exactly what PL is all about, a little more effort guys and less ramblings and it benefits everyone. ;)

Hi guys. Long time reader, first time poster. One shout for me in this weekend's fixtures. Republic of Ireland v Russia - Ireland 0 AH @ 1.847 with Pinnacle (5/10) Republic of Ireland have been a work in progress for Giovanni Trappatoni and I think they're now ready to qualify for their first major finals since the 2002 World Cup. The Italian has built a strong, solid team with flashes of quality from the likes of Robbie Keane, Aiden McGeady and Damien Duff (although he misses this one). It's a side full of Premiership and equivalent level experience and they know how to gut matches like this out. Russia meanwhile haven't quite lived up to the high expectations they set themselves at Euro 2008. With the appointment of Dick Advocaat, they're looking to replicate their success under Guss Hiddink, but football is never that simple and their 1-0 reverse at home to Slovakia in the last round of fixtures showed they're not back to their best. After a cruel loss to France in the World Cup play-offs, Ireland will sense this is a big chance to get back to a tournament. Their group lacks any of the traditional "big hitters" and for many of the side, this might be their last chance to play on the biggest stage. On the team front, Russia will miss the injured Pavlyuchenko just as he's showing some form for Spurs. Aleksander Kerzhakov is in great form for Zenit, though, and will be a danger. At home, though, I think Ireland will be solid enough to at least not lose and I'm happy to take them with full draw cover.
Hi, nice first post..agree with this essentially, think Ireland are always at their best when they are playing better quality sides, they are not one to steamroller lower quality opposition (as we saw last time against Andorra who some of us took on a handicap), watched Zenit recently who supply a lot of the Russian team and Kerzhakov wasn't playing but they were decent going forward..can't see there being more than one goal in it whichever way it goes, I actually think Russia are a bit overrated and I haven't been impressed by them for a while I feel this is an excellent chance for ROI to get what would be a massive 3 points..

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October Belgium available at 8/11 with William Hill to beat Kazakhstan. I realise it's never easy to go away to places like Kazakhstan, but the gap in quality between the 2 teams is significant, even with Belgium missing Vermaelen and Dembele. Bosnia at 6/4 away to Albania also looks interesting. Again, it's another tricky away trip where the visitors are significantly stronger in terms of quality. I can't see that the difficulty of the trip merits Bosnia being so long.

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October I'd be a little bit wary of backing Belgium away. They got a creditable draw in Turkey in the World Cup qualifying campaign but lost all their other away games, including defeats to Estonia and Armenia. Kazakhstan should be fairly straightforward, but the Belgians don't look like great travellers to me.

Just some early scratchings to debate over... I'm looking for a solid accumulator and considering: Slovenia at home to beat Faroe Isalnds - Slovenia were in the WC and were a very tough to beat unit. Belarus who beat France in Paris to beat Louxembourg away The dutch away to Moldova - nuff said And Spain at home to Lithuania - nuff said but Lithuania seems like the sort of team that might be better than their reputation, not 100% on this one especially if Spain take 3 points for granted Does anyone see flaws with my picks and are there potential upsets in any of these games? I dont care about what the odds will be just that the selections are succesful Cheers
If you are looking for bankers my friend, check also Georgia HW against Malta: impressing draw away to Greece and great game at home against Israel.. despite a 0-0 they were dominating all game long creating a lot of chances. Georgia won't miss this.. GEORGIA HW 1,28 Expekt

Hi' date=' nice first post..agree with this essentially, think Ireland are always at their best when they are playing better quality sides, they are not one to steamroller lower quality opposition (as we saw last time against Andorra who some of us took on a handicap), watched Zenit recently who supply a lot of the Russian team and Kerzhakov wasn't playing but they were decent going forward..can't see there being more than one goal in it whichever way it goes, I actually think Russia are a bit overrated and I haven't been impressed by them for a while I feel this is an excellent chance for ROI to get what would be a massive 3 points..[/quote'] Thanks mate. Agree with everything you say. Historically, few Russian teams travel well and as the awareness and level of domestic football there grows, I think the national side is struggling to with the pressure. It's also Ireland's first "big" competitive game at the new Landsdowne Road (or Aviva Stadium :eyes) and there'll be a buoyant Friday-night crowd willing them on. For me, the DNB line is a good value pick in a card that doesn't seem to offer much. Good luck!

Thanks mate. Agree with everything you say. Historically' date=' few Russian teams travel well and as the awareness and level of domestic football there grows, I think the national side is struggling to with the pressure. It's also Ireland's first "big" competitive game at the new Landsdowne Road (or Aviva Stadium :eyes) and there'll be a buoyant Friday-night crowd willing them on. For me, the DNB line is a good value pick in a card that doesn't seem to offer much. Good luck![/quote'] I agree about Ireland but I prefer under 2.0 goals 2.025 at least on bet365 as it pays better then asian DNB 1.80. You all seem to think it's gonna be less then 2 goals so I'll take the under 2.0.

I expect Ireland-Russia to be a very tight game with Ireland the most likely winners. Also, since Ireland plays defensive football I do not expect many goals in this game and think Ireland will win 1-0. But instead of taking just 1-0 correct score I think it will be much better to take some scorecast bets involving Keane, Doyle or McGeady
I can see that many people expect low scoring game here, so I will stick with my initial thought and go for scorecats. Even though McGeady hasn't scored for Ireland so far this might be his time considering that he plays his football in Russia. Keane/Ireland 1-0 @ 31.00 William Hill Doyle/Ireland 1-0 @ 36.00 William Hill McGeady/Ireland 1-0 @ 51.00 William Hill

Re: Euro 2012 > 8th - 9th October Austria - Azerbaijan I have to admit that Azerbaijan plays bad away from home and so far we only managed away wins against teams like Liechtenstein, Andorra and Kazakhstan. However, apart from our two games against Germany in the past years we did not get beaten by many goals. Since Austria is not a team that attacks a lot I think they will win here 2-0 or 3-0. Based on my previous post I will take two correct score doubles at William Hill. Ireland 1-0 & Austria 2-0 @ 42.00 Ireland 1-0 & Austria 3-0 @ 49.00