** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid

mowgli77

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid Bollin Judith is out today, runs over 1m5f and the ground is GS when I have her down to be watched over 1m4f (especially at Redcar) and in GF ground so I would be avoiding her today but I will be keeping an eye on her to see how she runs. Is up 7lbs from the win LTO and is up in class as well as expected. Best priced 9/1 but there are too many question marks around her for me to be having a bet today but hopefully she puts in a good run.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid

Bollin Judith is out today' date=' runs over 1m5f and the ground is GS when I have her down to be watched over 1m4f (especially at Redcar) and in GF ground so I would be avoiding her today but I will be keeping an eye on her to see how she runs. Is up 7lbs from the win LTO and is up in class as well as expected. Best priced 9/1 but there are too many question marks around her for me to be having a bet today but hopefully she puts in a good run.[/quote'] Stayed on well after being pumped along a fair bit out, I think she has a great chance of winning off this mark anyway, especially in more suitable conditions. Was well backed into 9/2 from 8/1 as well so she was obviously fancied.

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid Horses Name: Sea Change Date(s) you noticed the horse: 22nd Sept Ideal Conditions: anything not too extreme i.e hvy or fst Ideal Trip: 12f Follow/Avoid (for how long): next couple of runs Reasoning: was 4lb ahead of handicapper today when beaten fav in 4.20 at Good but not suited by slow pace as race descended into a sprint up the straight. Handicap cert before the season is out even off revised mark and extra furlong would help in future

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid Horses Name: REDFORD Date(s) you noticed the horse: 18th Sept Ideal Conditions: Good ground, can handle cut though as well Ideal Trip: 7f Follow/Avoid (for how long): next run Reasoning: won the Ayr Gold cup in decent style last week going away at the end under a great ride by Frankie Dettori. After winning 4 of its first 7 races, it then took 15 more races to register a win. Last week it was only 4lb higher than its last win (in 2008) so was racing off its lowest mark for 2 years. Has a 6lb penalty to contend with, but its next run at Ascot is on Saturday 25th Sept over 7f. Frankie is on board again and i expect same tactics as last week holding the horse up and then weaving through with a strong burst. Finished 3rd twice at the track over 7f last year.

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid Horses Name: GENKI Date(s) you noticed the horse: 18 Sept Ideal Conditions: acts on g/firm t G/soft Ideal Trip: 6f or 7f? Follow/Avoid (for how long): will win a big handicap by end of next season ! Reasoning: was flying at the death last week in the Ayr Gold cup and may just get a stiff 7f now as it moves towards its 7th year. I really thought the horse was going to win last week and once it got going there was nothing going better at the death. Keep an eye on especially if they step it up in trip.

Bramshaw got beaten by a neck by Master Mylo but lost no caste in defeat and now reveals he acts over 7f as well as on turf. Only beaten today as he raced more prom than the winner' date=' one of those making plenty of late headway. Looks sure to win races although expecting a couple of pounds rise for this effort. Anyway, upshot is that I will follow him over 7-8f nto now and on turf or the AW[/quote'] This one is declared in the 4.20 at Ascot tomorrow. Looks a very tough race with 16 runners and plenty in with chances but will have a few quid in the hope he can get off the mark as he can hopefully pick up the pacesetters late on and showed last time he has the speed to run well over 7f as well at a mile previously. The Jarvis runner looks a huge danger to all though so only a small bet personally for me on Bradshaw as he could have found an easier race to win! 6/1 with SJ.

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid Horses Name: Opus Dei Date(s) you noticed the horse: 23rd Sept Ideal Conditions: AW Ideal Trip: 6/7f Follow/Avoid (for how long): Follow next couple of runs Reasoning: Glover yard extremely cold at the moment so deserves even more credit for finishing 2nd in a hot handicap, overcame a years absence strong in the market, poorly drawn so always wide but ran on strongly. Looks unexposed and yard does well with this sort (owned by same people as Veloso who came back from absence to improve on AW/turf in spring)

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid Horses Name: TITAN TRIUMPH Date you noticed the horse: 23rd Sept Ideal Conditions: AW (particularly Lingfield) Ideal Trip: 1 mile Follow/Avoid (for how long): I am not suggesting that anyone should actually follow this horse, but it is certainly one just to keep an eye on. Reasoning: Ran stone last in a Grade 3 at Wolverhampton last night, when George Baker went for just the one ride. I know this horse is very well suited to Lingfield, where it has won five times, and was given a very tender ride to say the least last night. I suspect that it is getting ready for another successful winter campaign around Lingfield, and presume that Baker was given the ride just to get used to the horse as he does not normally ride it Titan Triumph has won as high as Grade 2, and is useful on the AW at its best. Its record at Kempton only amounts to a couple of places, but George Baker is the top jockey by a mile there on the AW, and I wouldnt be surprised if it ran there in the near future. As I said not a certain NTO winner by any means, but one that can pay its way when it has dropped another two or three pounds.

This one is declared in the 4.20 at Ascot tomorrow. Looks a very tough race with 16 runners and plenty in with chances but will have a few quid in the hope he can get off the mark as he can hopefully pick up the pacesetters late on and showed last time he has the speed to run well over 7f as well at a mile previously. The Jarvis runner looks a huge danger to all though so only a small bet personally for me on Bradshaw as he could have found an easier race to win! 6/1 with SJ.
Was off the bridle early doors and never looked like winning. My suspicion is that he didnt act on the ground as it was cutting up quite a bit. He was beaten well before the 2f pole so I will now only back this on Good ground or faster (or Poly) in future, over 7-8f.

Horses Name: REDFORD Date(s) you noticed the horse: 18th Sept Ideal Conditions: Good ground, can handle cut though as well Ideal Trip: 7f Follow/Avoid (for how long): next run Reasoning: won the Ayr Gold cup in decent style last week going away at the end under a great ride by Frankie Dettori. After winning 4 of its first 7 races, it then took 15 more races to register a win. Last week it was only 4lb higher than its last win (in 2008) so was racing off its lowest mark for 2 years. Has a 6lb penalty to contend with, but its next run at Ascot is on Saturday 25th Sept over 7f. Frankie is on board again and i expect same tactics as last week holding the horse up and then weaving through with a strong burst. Finished 3rd twice at the track over 7f last year.
as expected, runs in the 3.40 today bidding to follow up last weeks success, my trrends are against it however i will cover it off in my bets as i feel this horse is capable of winning this if it gets the required break Looks like being favourite as well which isnt a great stat 0 from 9!

Horses Name: REDFORD Date(s) you noticed the horse: 18th Sept Ideal Conditions: Good ground, can handle cut though as well Ideal Trip: 7f Follow/Avoid (for how long): next run Reasoning: won the Ayr Gold cup in decent style last week going away at the end under a great ride by Frankie Dettori. After winning 4 of its first 7 races, it then took 15 more races to register a win. Last week it was only 4lb higher than its last win (in 2008) so was racing off its lowest mark for 2 years. Has a 6lb penalty to contend with, but its next run at Ascot is on Saturday 25th Sept over 7f. Frankie is on board again and i expect same tactics as last week holding the horse up and then weaving through with a strong burst. Finished 3rd twice at the track over 7f last year.
hope you got on!! :nana

Ok this is something I am doing a lot more of at the moment with so much free time on my hands, I often pull 2-3 horses out a day so not gonna put them all up but they will all probably be daily bets in daily threads but I will however put a few more of perhaps the interestng/potentially bigger prices nto! Horses Name: Stacey Date(s) you noticed the horse: 6th July/1st Sept Ideal Conditions: Polytrack Ideal Trip: 8f perhaps a little further even Follow/Avoid (for how long): Look out for in Nurseries on the all-weather for the winter! Reasoning: ran a good race in a maiden on lingfields aw, before bombing out back on turf next time out on handicap debut but shaped a lot better than bare result suggests at Kempton, looking still a little green and not an easy ride but stayed on very very strongly through a difficult passage from the rear in race it paid to be handy!
Runs tomorrow in the first at Bath, was hoping she would be returned to polytrack as best runs have been on there but is 6lb lower today on turf and could be very well handicapped and worth a small e/w investment for me!

Horses Name: Harlestone Times Date(s) you noticed the horse: 12th September 2010 Ideal Conditions: Good/Softer side of good Ideal Trip: 10f+ Follow/Avoid (for how long): I imagine Harlestone Times is now going to be upped in trip again after staying on gamely to win a 10f race at Goodwood today but might be worth having a bet on again over 10 furlongs. I think 12-14 furlongs will be his ideal trip but will put 10 furlongs or longer as I do believe he could win over this trip again. Still lightly raced having had only 6 to date so is likely to progress over further and I believe this win may just urge him on to win more races. This was probably the only time he has run over an adequate trip judging on pedigree so I feel that makes todays run even better as the previous runs can really be set to the side now.
Out over an extended 11 furlongs at Brighton today, up 6lbs which I believe he can overcome, my only concer today is the Good To Firm ground and since he is only best priced at 10/3 I think I will be leaving him alone. Although I have just read on the RP website that the ground is now good.

Out over an extended 11 furlongs at Brighton today' date=' up 6lbs which I believe he can overcome, my only concer today is the Good To Firm ground and since he is only best priced at 10/3 I think I will be leaving him alone. Although I have just read on the RP website that the ground is now good.[/quote'] Impressive run. Hope you did get on

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid Cheers bowles :ok Bollin Judith, another one I have posted up runs today, has placed since and is currently 8/1 today best priced. Is down 1lb in the handicap and up another furlong so I will be having a little squeak today I think as she did stay on well LTO eventually in todays conditions despite me having her ideal conditions down as GF.

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid Well done guys great stuff:clap:clap Ok my eyecatcher goes in the big 2yo race at Redcar tomorrow. Recap

Horses Name: ON THE HIGH TOPS Date(s) you noticed the horse: Saturday 4th Sept 2010 Ideal Conditions: Firmer the better Ideal Trip: 5f or an easy 6 Follow/Avoid (for how long): Follow when conditions suit Reasoning: Haydock 5/9/10~On The High Tops ran in a fairly decent looking 12 grand nursery over 6f. Thirteen runners went to post and this horse which i backed was sent off the rank outsider at 66/1 double the odds of the next outsider in the field. OTHT ran a cracking race IMO. The field split into three, the main group coming down the stand side, a couple down the middle and a few down the far side, where the fav and very comfortable winner Easy Ticket who lead all the way came from. My horse led the stands side till about a furlong out but fought back like a loin till eventually fading close home beaten 6 3/4 L finishing a very respectable 5th of 13. The horse imo is better suited to 5f a distance it has won at. Has to have good firm ground and is worth following in good class handicaps probably be next year as winter is now approaching. Trainer Tom Tate is good at placing his horse and has a very capable pilot in Micky Fenton they could have a lot of fun with this horse next year. A try on the AW this winter might even be on the cards. The winner looks a smart horse and should l be well worth following also. ± Just noticed OTHT it is entered for a listed race at Redcar in Oct not sure it will be up to that esp as its over 6f but will reassess nearer the time.
OTHT has been declared three times (twice at chester) since its last run but has been pulled out all three time most likely because of the soft going. All races were over 5f which best suits the horse IMO and Micky Fenton was down to ride it is a 40/1 chance tomorrow and even if you put an extra 0 on it i still wouldn't back it as the ground is too soft, 6f is to long and much to high class of race also Ted Durcan rides as Fenton at Newmarket for one ride. I will go as far to say if it wins tomorrow i will quit PL thats how much i don't fancy it! BUT i will still be following this animal it and waiting for it to run in a handicap over 5f on good firm ground with Fenton on board most likely next summer.

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid Good luck stu:ok Just a quick word on mine, went off 100/1 showed up for about 3f then faded badly 21st of 22 beaten 34l. Much better than that and will come good in due course and happy to keep it on the list will access chances when next turned out.

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid i would have thought we would have had more horses listed to date, but i suppose its how often we note horses etc from watching racing, i havent watched much recently but if it stays soft for a while, i would be interested in seeing where SOUTH CAPE runs next. I will post up a full eyecatcher post later with the detail.

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid Also end of season type racing now in my opinion some real dregs of the barrel stuff at times recently perhaps wont get so many now but hopefully it will tick over throughout the winter and bang back start next april ;)

Re: *NEW* - Eyecatchers thread - horses to follow/avoid Horses Name: Catherines Call Date(s) you noticed the horse: 2/10/2010 Ideal Conditions: AW/Good to Firm/Good to Soft Ideal Trip: 6F/7F Follow/Avoid (for how long): Next 3 runs Reasoning: I watched this horse very closely on its last run. I watched the video over and over and over again and for the life of me i cant understand what the jockey was doing, with a more prominent ride this horse would have hacked up. Luke Morris kept the horse right at the rear for the whole race and with 2/3 furlongs out made really smooth headway on the bridle, even though it was in 5th or 6th place at the time it then hit a low of 2.10 in running (SP 13.50) just over a furlong out and the only reason it came 3rd was because of the jockey giving the horse that little bit too much to do. I have no doubt in my mind this horse will have its day very soon and is one to watch for sure.