Tennis - 16-22 August

Re: Tennis - 16-22 August

I agree this should be bet of the day' date=' but Gasquet is a choker. 1 day he turns up and the next he fails. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he went on to get beat, the overs would be better in this match. Good luck though.[/quote'] Agree with you about Gasquet's inconsistency but i just can't see the fatty-germ beating a high-confidence french, as Atko mentioned, i like his under too and i see a proper price for u22.5 games @ 2.03 i think it's pure gold. Only a solid serve (80% on 1st serve against Robredo) can save Berrer and lead him to a tiebreak, on rallies he is a dead-guy and breaking Gasquet after seeing yesterdays performance of Richard whould a difficult task for him. :hope

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely off-topic, but I thought I'd mention this. For weeks now the weekly tennis thread has been generating a very high number of views on these boards (from what I can see anyway). The only thread that got more views last week than the tennis was the Premiership, and the difference was miniscule. Think that's a testament to what's going on here. I'm thinking of proposing a best bet of the day tennis competition to the main people who run this site (I am an admin but not a decision maker). I'd model it on the same competition in the ATR forum, with a league table updated daily. I'd try and organise a free bet prize with a bookmaker for the winner. The tipster with the highest profit for the month would win. You'd pick one selection for the day and if it wins, the profit (calculated from a £1 stake) would be added to your total. Let me know if that interests people, and I'll take it further if people are up for it.
Good idea, Atko. It'd be very interesting. :clap

Re: Tennis - 16-22 August Dunno fellas, I was thinking OVERS in the Gasquet match. If it was 21.5 games I'd take it now. Don't think Gasquet will break Berrer too often and can see one tight set like a tie-break.Clearly he's a far better player though. Dementieva vs Zakopalova OVER 19.5 games @ 1.893 (Pinnacle: 4/10) Dementieva a class above for sure but don't think her current level can justify 19.5 game line. Got injured at the French, returned 2 months later and beat Krumm in 3, lost to Sharapova, and last week crushed by Pavyluchenkova. Her serve is causing her problems, low % and a few doubles. Zakopalova also not a great server but doing quite well recently....final indoors in Copenhagen and looked to be gone in rd 1 here versus home player Dubois a set down but responded to win in 3. Her ground game is looking good these days. Both girls should get chances on eachothers serve, but I think Zakopalova can make this competitive and hopefully cover the line. GL!

Right haven't had much interest in the tennis from a betting point of view but am taking these 4 today, maybe my last 4 depending on how bad my A level results are tomorrow :( Falla vs Kohlschreiber, Falla+3.5 game handicap- 4/5 Bet365- 6/10 Interesting match this one, as it is likely to come down to how Kohl is feeling and if he really wants to win some matches. Falla had a comfortable win over the unreliable and always injured Monfils yesterday whilst the German needed 3 sets to overcome Zeballos. Watched the German in action over in Toronto last week and I was astounded to see him throwing in unforced errors on such a regular basis. His one handed backhand looked incredibly ugly and at times, was wild. Strange that he underperforms against the so called lower players but when up against opponents such as Nadal, takes a set, some weird mental thing IMO. Falla has had a couple of decent wins over Clement and Monfils so he won't be fear facing the German. Debated over the handicap or the overs on this one but just feel Falla win make this handicap. Nadal vs Dent, over 18.5 games- 4/6 Bet365- 5/10 Thought the line would be one higher for this match so very happy to take the overs here. Nadal at times last week showed some promise but at others looked quite ordinary from his high standards. What really struck me was that he smiled when Murray had match point which I'd never seen from the Spaniard, who to me always looks so focussed and a real desire to win. His opponent hasn't played too badly recently either. Easily beat Lopez in truth although Lopez played like a complete fool tbh. With Dent's strong serving, fancy him to hold at least 7 games and perhaps break Nadal once early on to ensure the overs. Benneteau vs Wawrinka, over 22.5 games- Evens Bet365- 4/10 Just screams evens to me really. Rarely see Benny involved in a straight set match against an opponent who is fairly similiar in quality. A good win over his doubles partner Llodra yesterday whilst Wawrinka beat Almagro. The Suisse has had an extra day off and will be the fresher of the two players but Benny isn't that bad on fitness himself. Decent odds for this one and feel a tie break and a 3 setter isn't to be ruled out. Petrova to beat Safina- 4/6 Ladbrokes- 6/10 Was looking to oppose whoever Safina played after her long term injury and fitness concerns, echoed by her performance against Petkovic. The scoreline and the actual matchplay are completely contrasting. If I recall correctly she was 3-0 down in the first before the German started to play wildly. Safina's serve was slow and the second serve was thrown up like a treat for her opponent. Even towards the end Petkovic started to stage a comeback with the Russian making yet more unforced errors but managed to get over the line. Petrova is a better player though and Safina will struggle. She came through in 3 yesterday against Lucie Safarova who isn't a bad player herself. She leads the H2H 5-1, with 3 wins coming on hard court although Safina did win the last hard court encounter easily. Only worry would be is that Petrova's hard court form has been sketchy recently, losing to the upcoming talent of McHale whom she retired against and lost before that to Shvedova. Hopefully she can put a run together though and take this one.

Re: Tennis - 16-22 August Probs a parlay, looking at Radwanska, Federer, Murray, Nadal, Clijsters and Bartoli. I know all are favourites to win but just wondered if anyone could see any potential slip ups in these matches. I dont know too much about tennis but im learning... Is Radwanska a safe bet?

Completely off-topic, but I thought I'd mention this. For weeks now the weekly tennis thread has been generating a very high number of views on these boards (from what I can see anyway). The only thread that got more views last week than the tennis was the Premiership, and the difference was miniscule. Think that's a testament to what's going on here. I'm thinking of proposing a best bet of the day tennis competition to the main people who run this site (I am an admin but not a decision maker). I'd model it on the same competition in the ATR forum, with a league table updated daily. I'd try and organise a free bet prize with a bookmaker for the winner. The tipster with the highest profit for the month would win. You'd pick one selection for the day and if it wins, the profit (calculated from a £1 stake) would be added to your total. Let me know if that interests people, and I'll take it further if people are up for it.
Good idea, i remember in other forum we challanged on basketball and i liked it. Mostly we played on the odd that isn't lower than 1.8, well, there are always 1.85 to 1.85 when we see the handys on basketball +7.5 - -7.5 for example. But it's just way out off tennis, should be some thread or smth like that to ruled that out or any suggestions on that, but the main idea is good :hope

Probs a parlay, looking at Radwanska, Federer, Murray, Nadal, Clijsters and Bartoli. I know all are favourites to win but just wondered if anyone could see any potential slip ups in these matches. I dont know too much about tennis but im learning... Is Radwanska a safe bet?
Hard to see a shock I guess. Only case you could make against Clijsters is that she just won an event last week while Mattek has played a few matches here. There's a big gulf between them of course. Radwanska should win aswell, famous last words! I'd be more confident with Kuznetsova, Wozniacki or Bartoli to be honest. GL whatever you go for.

Re: Tennis - 16-22 August My picks for today: Querrey to beat Ferrer 1.909 at Pinnacle (6/10) Querrey feels comfortable on this surface while Ferrer does not. Querrey will get many free points thanks to his monster serve and will be able to pressure the spaniard´s serve. "The samurai" will be supported by his home crowd and that is always extra motivation. Ferrer is better ranked but Querrey in a good day is definately better player than ferrer in a good day in this kind of surface. The only meeting was last year in hard and Querrery got away with it so i´m good backing him at this odds Fish (AH -2) against Verdasco 2.02 at pinnacle (8/10) The reasoning is similar as when i backed him yesterday against Simon: Here we have Fish playing the best tennis in his life (with 2 titles in last weeks) agains a player that apparently has given his best a coulple of months ago and now is not in very good shape. Fish has added to his powerful game better movements and stamina and nowdays he is a very difficult opponent for anyone in this surface. On the other hand this is not Verdasco´s best surface and the h2h proves it. 3 meetings betwwn them and only won the one played in clay. That is pure logic so if Fish defeated him when he was not in his top form, i expect him to do it today that is playin very solid tennis. :hope

My picks for today: Querrey to beat Ferrer 1.909 at Pinnacle (6/10) Querrey feels comfortable on this surface while Ferrer does not. Querrey will get many free points thanks to his monster serve and will be able to pressure the spaniard´s serve. "The samurai" will be supported by his home crowd and that is always extra motivation. Ferrer is better ranked but Querrey in a good day is definately better player than ferrer in a good day in this kind of surface. The only meeting was last year in hard and Querrery got away with it so i´m good backing him at this odds Fish (AH -2) against Verdasco 2.02 at pinnacle (8/10) The reasoning is similar as when i backed him yesterday against Simon: Here we have Fish playing the best tennis in his life (with 2 titles in last weeks) agains a player that apparently has given his best a coulple of months ago and now is not in very good shape. Fish has added to his powerful game better movements and stamina and nowdays he is a very difficult opponent for anyone in this surface. On the other hand this is not Verdasco´s best surface and the h2h proves it. 3 meetings betwwn them and only won the one played in clay. That is pure logic so if Fish defeated him when he was not in his top form, i expect him to do it today that is playin very solid tennis. :hope
Really love your picks here martin! i have been meaning to do i write up but v. busy today you have summed these matches up perfectly. Querreys good form should be to much for clay courter ferrer and Fish should knock of out of sorts verdasco good calls:ok good luck!

Really love your picks here martin! i have been meaning to do i write up but v. busy today you have summed these matches up perfectly. Querreys good form should be to much for clay courter ferrer and Fish should knock of out of sorts verdasco good calls:ok good luck!
thanks man! hope they deliver! i´m confident they will :tongue2

Re: Tennis - 16-22 August I've gone for the Over 22.5 games in the Ferrer/Querry matche, this is the 3rd time only i've done a over/under bet in tennis and the previous 2 (1 void, 1 loss). I've got to win one sometime please? It's a tough match up, Ferrer is a clay courter, Querry does have a good serve and forehand but like a lot of tennis players which Querry will turn up? I think at least 1 set can go to a tie break and even if thats not the case I see a 3 setter as I thin Ferrer has a good chance as Querry has as the odds represent for them to win. :hope To add, their previous game in 2009 in New Zealand went to a 3 set also on Hard Court.

Re: Tennis - 16-22 August Nadia Petrova > Dinara Safina. 1.69 @ Pinnacle (7/10) Not the best price but you can double it up with someone you also believe will get a win. Said straight away after Safina's win over Petkovic that I will go against her in the next round and nothing has changed. She's playing Petrova today. Nadia has defeated her 5 times out of 6 and has been hammering Safina even when Dinara had her best form. Now it's completely different. Safina is in her worst ever form and barely can buy a win. She deserved to lose on Monday but Petkovic sold that match. She was hitting deliberate unforced errors all the time on gamepoints just not to win the game. Safina was a break down in the first set and let a 4-0 lead slip away in the second, besides got away couple times with a games containing hat-tricks of double faults. Petkovic fixed that match and should be ashamed of what she did. Petrova won't be like that, have no doubts about that. Agnieszka Radwanska vs Vania King. Over 18.5 games. 1.85 @ Pinnacle (5/10) Radwanska overrated big time once again. King is a very crafty player who perhaps has got better return game than her own service. She is very aggressive player and most importantly not over-aggressive which is the case with the likes of Sharapova. Radwanska's main weakness is serve and that will get some beating today. Can't see Agnieszka having easy win and for that matter wouldn't be surprised if she lost today. Wouldn't be a shock to me. 18.5 games total is ridiculous line put out for this match and I reckon it will be over 18.5 games for sure. King is not that bad and Radwanska not that good. By the way their only meeting, also on hard, finished 7-5, 7-6 in favor of Radwanska, that was couple years ago. Stanislas Wawrinka -3.5 AH vs Julien Benneteau. 1.83 @ Bet365. (6/10) Wawrinka for once in terrific form and you couldn't ask more from him. He pushed Nadal all the way last week and deserved to take a set of the great man. Wawa destroyed Amalgro yesterday in no time. You can argue that Mugro didn't bother playing but you have to make him look like shit. Benneteau for me is average player these days and can make some matches close but I wouldn't be surprised of a 6-4, 6-4 scoreline today. 3.5 games handicap is perhaps the right one for this match and I'm taking Wawrinka's.

Sam Querrey > David Ferrer. 1.92 @ Pinnacle (5/10) Don't think Querrey is good match-up for Ferrer. David has got huge return game but lack decent serve and that might hurt him today big time. Sam probably will hold easily apart from one poor game per set which always seems to happen to him. Other than that he should be fine. Ferrer on the other hand can't serve and Querrey therefore will have enough looks to have a break. Might take 3 sets this one but the end result should be Querrey win.

Petrova's odds seem to be climbing quite rapidly on Betfair. From 1.71 to 1.85 in about 5 minutes.
Yeah, something's going on there. Maybe just false alarm. Will see at the start of the match, I guess. Anyway only injury to Petrova would prevent her from beating out of form, "double fault queen" Safina.

Yeah' date=' something's going on there. Maybe just false alarm. Will see at the start of the match, I guess. Anyway only injury to Petrova would prevent her from beating out of form, "double fault queen" Safina.[/quote'] Most other bookies have her at 1.67 :unsure

I was having a wee think about my current blacklist last night and came up with the following: Somdev Devvarman - weak player who can't see things out Nikolay Davydenko - horrible form, very patchy Nicolas Almagro - impotent on hard Gael Monfils - never know what you'll get Feliciano Lopez - no need to explain! Tommy Robredo - couldn't win a game of dominos, let alone tennis Horacio Zeballos - talented space cadet Evgeny Korolev - one of the few players I really believe is a fixer Rainer Schuettler - too inconsistent on anything other than grass Dudi Sela - read above James Blake - spent force Daniel Koellerer - another fixer, and is absolutely off his rocker Am I missing anyone obvious? These are guys I presently couldn't back.
Marat Safin would have taken a place on your list if he still had been playing.

Re: Tennis - 16-22 August Ekaterina Makarova > Francesca Schiavone. 1.94 @ Pinnacle (4/10) Schiavone is in big, I mean very big, mess at the moment. She has won just one match since her triumph in French Open, beating Anne Keothavong in Istanbul. Other 4 matches have ended in defeats. She has even lost to Baltacha. You should retire after losing to Baltacha. That bad has Cesca been past couple months. Makarova is serving bombs again and is yet to lose a set in 4 matches in Montreal. Was fortunate to survive in the second set against Hradecka yesterday. The Czech player wasted huge amount of break point opportunities. I'm backing the Russian to win. This is more of a bet against Schiavone than for Makarova. Jurgen Melzer > Ernests Gulbis. 2.14 @ Pinnacle (4/10) Worth a shot for sure. Gulbis still not 100% after coming back from injury he got in French Open. Has not won enough matches to feel good about him. Errors are huge part of his game and even more so in past 2-3 tournaments. Serve is his biggest weapon though is very inconsistent with occasional double fault. He was pushed all the way by nobody player Donald Young yesterday, winning a close match 7-6, 6-4. Ok, he was double break up in the 2nd set but choked and that is not a good thing. He was broken couple times and Melzer can match Young's feet. Besides the Austrian is a lefty and it's not a secret that Gulbis doesn't particularly enjoy playing lefties. He's not a player who likes to do a research before matches, he doesn't study opponents' game and this will be his first meeting with Melzer and I can see a very tough match for Ernests and reckon he will be beaten today because of the reasons I mentioned above. Melzer surely worth a shot at odds above evens. Mardy Fish -1.5 games AH vs Fernando Verdasco. 1.83 @ Paddy Power. (5/10) Fish clear favorite, in form of his life. Verdasco rubbish and will get beat today unless comes up with his best tennis which is very hard to see happening. Fish had very tough match against Simon last night and only because Simon bored him with his nightmare baseline exchanges. Verdasco will be completely different type of game for Mardy and I think he'll fancy his chances. Verdascco has been very poor for ages. I guess since clay court season leading up to French Open. Fish playing with lots of confidence and at home should get a win and -1.5 games is a formality. Even couple tie-breaks would do the trick. Kimiko Date Krumm vs Marion Bartoli. Under 18 games. 1.75 @ Gamebookers (8/10) Not the best price around on unders or handicaps for this match but it's understandable. Krumm will die on the court today. She's 39 years old, has already played 4 matches here and it took her 4 minutes shy of 3 hours to get past Niculescu yesterday. She will be done today. I mean how much there possibly can be left in the tank. Besides she's playing Bartoli who can destroy anybody on a hard court unless she's scared of. And she won't be scared of Krumm. They've played once before and Bartoli won that match 6-1, 6-3, last year Indoors Bali. Can see 6-1, 6-1, scoreline today again... Andy Roddick -3.5 AH vs Thiemo De Bakker. 1.85 @ Pinnacle (6/10) The match of two big servers with Roddick clear favorite and I'm going for Andy to win by -3.5 games. He was very frustrated at times against Stakhovsky, especially in the 2nd set and was a bit lucky in the 3rd because Stakhovsky ran out of gas. De Bakker has proved himself a real handful on the tour and the guy can serve very good and his baseline games is not that bad. Having said that he struggled against Monaco and was not that convincing on serve. Roddick should be able to get at least one break in each set and therefore do the job. It could be ok also with just one break in case if he gets to serve first in one of the sets and gets a scoreline like 7-6, 6-3 or the other way round. They have played twice before and Roddick has won all 5 sets (this year) and has not lost more than 4 games per set. Looks good to me to cover -3.5 games.

Re: Tennis - 16-22 August well, sam looks too poor, just good serve, but nothing else more.. no winners, very apatic play just hitting and hoping for a error from Ferrer, who doesn't makes any mistake, hopefully Sam can play a little more better in the second set, i still believe he can win this one.