Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 I'm taking Derbyshire (4/6) to beat Yorkshire...latter were very poor yesterday and fielded a weakened team, and have nothing to play for today either. Derby can still make the QF's with a win and other results to go their way. Hamp-Sussex very hard to predict total runs/boundaries as Rose bowl scores very inconsistent this season.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20

if sussex want a slightly bigger playing area they can come and use my back garden' date=' what is going on with the boundaries recently.[/quote'] Are they at home? Why would Hampshire who are at home, give them a playing area that plays to their strengths?

Are they at home? Why would Hampshire who are at home' date=' give them a playing area that plays to their strengths?[/quote'] i dont care either way, im just annoyed that they are ruining my favourite sport for the enjoyment of boozing football fans and morons. edges and mishits going for 6 doesnt make the game more exciting, in the same way that bigger goals in football (or conversely a 5 ft goalkeeper height allowance) wouldnt make that more exciting. /rant

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 No but 4's and 6's being hit bring kids and families to watch the game and in turn play the game thus benefitting the game you so love. Twenty20 is short course cricket. It's not cricket as everyone knows it much the same as 5 a side isn't football as everyone knows it. If this game was at Chelmsford where the straight boundaries can't be any bigger than 55 yards they wouldn't be saying anything about it. It's only because the Rose Bowl is so big (and the presenter is massively biased to Surrey) that it's even getting a mention.

No but 4's and 6's being hit bring kids and families to watch the game and in turn play the game thus benefitting the game you so love. Twenty20 is short course cricket. It's not cricket as everyone knows it much the same as 5 a side isn't football as everyone knows it. If this game was at Chelmsford where the straight boundaries can't be any bigger than 55 yards they wouldn't be saying anything about it. It's only because the Rose Bowl is so big (and the presenter is massively biased to Surrey) that it's even getting a mention.
lmao at all of this tbh. If they wanted to bring families to these games they wouldnt be charging 25-30 quid for 40 overs of cricket. I like watching huge hits not edges for 6. This game is already enormously biased against bowlers, what kid is going to watch these games and want to be a bowler (or for that matter a strauss or katich etc). Kids watch this and think cricket is all about who can hit it the furthest, and it isnt. I understand your point about Chelmsford but i dont understand why them having a small ground prompts all the counties to want a small ground? Comparing it to 5 a side is ludicrous, it isnt like they halt the premier league midway through the season to force some rediculous 5 aside league down cricket fans throats. I cringed when I heard about englands deal with stanford, i cringed when i heard about dhonis 40 million rights deal and i cringe when i hear club execs talking about the money side of cricket, its turning into football and because everyone within the game might make a bit of fast cash, they dont care.

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 Interesting debate... I'm seeing both points of view.... Thus will stay on the fence! I do think 20/20 will get kids into cricket though... Once in they are soon taught the rights and wrongs... My local team has over 150 'colts' rising year on year... Numbers not dreamt of before the 20/20 era.

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 Not complaining about the boundaries, hampshire almost covered my boundaries bet by themselves ;). It's the same for both sides though. The shorter boundaries just provide more excitement in my opinion. If your a more traditional cricket fan, you wouldn't approve of the 20/20 format anyways as a great deal of the shots are slogs, that you would never find in test cricket. 20/20 is purely there for exciting shots, lots of boundaries and thrilling ends. It attracts more younger followers towards the game that will hopefully get them watching the longer formats and even playing it themselves. Away from the argument, followed a couple of the above with Sussex getting more sixes so hope Wright, Smith, Goodwin, Prior and co can smash some around the ground, or at least mishit a few for six :lol

Interesting debate... I'm seeing both points of view.... Thus will stay on the fence! I do think 20/20 will get kids into cricket though... Once in they are soon taught the rights and wrongs... My local team has over 150 'colts' rising year on year... Numbers not dreamt of before the 20/20 era.
And there I rest my case. Don't exaggerate it gettingfatter. You don't see genuine edges going for 6. You see top edges going for 6 but I saw that in test cricket for years long before twenty20 was even thought about. What you get from twenty20 is all action cricket which keeps kids and non cricket fans interested for the duration. Test cricket needs a different mindset which lots of kids doesn't have. In this day and age where cricket is competing heavily with football and computer games anything that gets the kids into the sport is a good thing. Shorter boundaries involves more 4's and 6's but it also involves moments of inspiration and quality like Luke Wright's catch today. You could have forgotten seeing anything like that with the ropes out. If it's heavily aimed at batsmen someone forgot to tell Somerset's bowlers because on the best batting wicket in the country they bowled Kent out for 141 today. This is a betting thread so in an attempt to keep it that way, McKenzie has top scored for Hampshire and Moeen Ali is 23* as I type. Jayasuriya isn't playing so the outright bet on him is a winner. Will settle it all up at the end of the day.

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 We need RHB out for Surrey also.. Davies can press on with catching him up... 30 odd behind I think before today? Great call on Mckenzie Kev :clap With 10+ runs an over needed, Sussex might need the 9 sixes we want to win this!!

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 Good day for me in the end with McKenzie top scoring for Hampshire and the two match bets winning. The 6's lost but as a Hampshire fan it meant we go through so I don't mind losing that on a profitable day. +8.66 for the matches today but I've lost 0.50pts on the outrights which have been settled. Moeen Ali top scored for Worcestershire but Steven Davies got out 8 runs short of top scoring for Surrey. Middlesex and Glamorgan are out while Napier's injury gave him no chance and Key never landed a blow in the top runscorer market. Still got Hildreth top scoring for Somerset running for me and Warwickshire outright so lots still to go with. +8.16pts for me on bets settled today which puts me back to -7.05 for the tournament. Quarter final lineup is: Warwickshire vs Hampshire Nottinghamshire vs Sussex Somerset vs Northants Essex vs Lancashire. Should be 4 cracking QF's and I'll be back with bets for them next week. The 4 matches are all live on Sky on the 26th & 27th July.

Got chucked out for fielding a player who wasn't registered. Was only chucked out on the day of the Quarter Final though.
So they paid out on a top bat whose team then replaced Yorkshire, probably creating a new top bat from the extra games... Got it...

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 The pressure of twenty20 is back on Monday with the 4 quarter finals being played over 2 days. Every ball of every game is live on Sky, weather permitting.

Monday 26 July 2010 Home Away BPP
maximize.gif Warwickshire v Hampshire (16:40 BST) 1.8 2.2 101.01 %
maximize.gif Nottinghamshire v Sussex (19:25 BST) 1.83 2.16 100.84 %
Tuesday 27 July 2010 Home Away BPP
maximize.gif Somerset v Northamptonshire (16:50 BST) 1.5 3 100.00 %
maximize.gif Essex v Lancashire (19:40 BST) 1.8 2.2 101.01 %
Should be 4 corking quarter finals in the hunt for a place at finals day.

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 Right, 1st two quarter finals. Need to be quick as I'm to Edgbaston shortly and was working this morning so couldn't get on before now. 3pts Hampshire to beat Warwickshire 11/10 Sportingbet 3pts Hampshire Most 6's 6/s Skybet I'm on Warwickshire outright in this competition and part of the reason for taking Hampshire here is a bit of insurance as the Bears are without Trott and Bell this evening which is a huge part of their batting lineup. Bowling wise they are fine but someone will really need to step up in the absence of their star batsmen. Hampshire are in good form coming into this one. Michael Lumb made 50 on his comeback yesterday while the rest of the top order all got runs. There's no Pothas or Mascarenhas for this one but Razzaq and Christian are around still. Warks biggest threat would be Imran Tahir but he's bowled at these Hampshire batsmen in the nets for 2 years so they should know what they are facing. Without Trott and Bell this looks like an even matchup but Hampshire, in terrible form at the time, went to Edgbaston and thrashed the Bears in the CB40 and I think with their strength of their batting they can win again today. Hampshire won the 6's match in that CB game 11-2 and that was with Trott and Bell playing. Trott's absence will help 6 hitting in that he hasn't hit one all competition but someone will need to form the glue for the rest to hit around and the list of candidates is pretty thin. I think Hampshire, who have Ervine, Razzaq and Christian probably on the card at 6, 7 and 8 this afternoon, will hit the most 6's on this short Edgbaston outfield. 1pt ew N.McKenzie Top Hampshire Batsman 6/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) In Hampshire's last group game against Sussex I mentioned how Neil McKenzie can be the glue around which Hampshire bat and I think the same role will be his this afternoon. This is a massively pressurised game, even more so for the Royals with home advantage awaiting them on finals day if they win this match. So an experienced head around the young batsmen will be need. McKenzie is that man. He'll bat at 4 and is in very good form. He made an unbeaten 60 odd against Sussex and put in a nice cameo down at Kent in the CB40 yesterday. At 6/1 he looks a cracking price to top score in back to back 20 over matches for Hampshire.

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 2nd QF. Should be a belter this. 4pts Nottinghamshire to beat Sussex 4/5 Stan James (ties paid in full) Nottinghamshire should be full of confidence coming into this match. They are unbeaten at Trent Bridge this season and although they have no Broad or Swann tonight they do have an all international seam attack in Nannes, Sidebottom and Pattinson at their disposal. Not to mention Hussey with the bat. Sussex come into this one in shocking form and are pretty much playing for their one day season. They died over the line in the South Group losing 6 of their last 7 matches and since then have failed to see off Middlesex in the Championship and lost to Glamorgan in the CB40 yesterday. A trip from Swansea to Nottingham won't have been ideal preparation for this one either. Nottinghamshire had to come down from Durham but at least they won in the CB40 yesterday to keep their confidence up. Luke Wright and Yasir Arafat both missed out for Sussex yesterday and while both are expected to be fit tonight it's to be seen how fit they'll be. Nottinghamshire have a strong attack and home field advantage and I think they'll head to finals day by knocking out last season's winners here. 3pts Over 8.5 6's 5/6 William Hill Couple of good bowling attacks but there's some good batsmen on show here. The real big hitters - Nash, Wright, Smith, Hales, Brown and Hussey can all clear these ropes nicely while the likes of Goodwin, Hodd, Samit Patel and Chris Read can all hit a ball when it's needed. Quarter final of the twenty20, we should get a good wicket to bat on and if the lights don't have an effect I think these two sides will produce a game high scoring enough to contain 9 6's. 1pt R.Sidebottom Man of the Match 18/1 Blue Square We saw in the World Twenty20 how Ryan Sidebottom can be a real big match player and it will be no different this evening. He's the leader of the bowling attack and with no Prior in the Sussex side this evening he can get stuck in with the new ball. He's very economical and if the lights do generate a bit of swing then he'll be dangerous. Even in a high scoring game if he can put a good 4 over spell in then he can be the man of the match. There's lots of MOM options in this match but at 18/1 Sidebottom looks overpriced so I'll take my chances that he's the commentators call tonight.

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 Good luck kev - great work in the darts by the way! I completely agree with your Hampshire to win thinking - trottisin will hills top batting odds - I can't help thinking the odds of 11/10 reflect their thinking he will play? I'm very happy to take hamps at better than evens! I've gone for two top bats our old favourite barker! He is 8/1 again (now been reduced to 7/1by will hill)and with no trott, really should bat at 3! This is exceptional value for somone who has scored good runs for warks the other is vince @ 5/1 I have mentioned my reasoning before so will keep it short but the lad is quality!

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 Excellent call with Vince Otter. That kid is something special. Telling KP to do one to keep him in the team looks a masterstroke now. Called both quarter finals right today but got nothing else. Had the right thinking behind the Notts MOM but picked the wrong bowler it seems. Warwickshire losing ended that outright. -4.50 for me on the night. -11.55 overall. Now, where's the box office number for finals day tickets :unsure :nana.

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 Glad he played well! He's a talent! Nice one for hamps qualifying; I'm off to somersets match tomorrow! Fingers crossed I will be joining you at the rose bowl kev ;) bit concerned at the loss of pollard though, fingers crossed cameron White will play , not a bad replacement but we will miss pollards bowling! Thought notts had stuffed up the match but they pulled it back well! Nice call kev, didn't put any money on that match couldn't find any decent top bat prices and couldn't split the two teams. Also weather concerned me Can't see lancs doing much tomorrow although Essex will miss kaneria! Should be another great day of cricket!

Re: Cricket: Friends Provident Twenty 20 Not much value around today- some short prices have ruled out some of my favourite bets. 27 Jul 2010 - Somerset v Northants - Total Match Sixes Under (10.5) @ 5/6 The general rule of thumb for Somerset is bat second and chase. I also think northants will prefer to set a target so we could have an irrelevant toss. If Somerset do bat second that rules ou them going he'll for leather and setting a huge total. Northants have had some good big hitting from sales and vaas but I just feel Thomas and Phillips (if fit) should have the measure of them. Conditions are also far from ideal and due to be muggy and overcast, which should let the ball do a bit! The Taunton pitch is changing and in the forecast conditions I would be surprised to see a run fest. I was at the last home t20 vs Kent in similar overcast conditions and having reduced them to 140 odd all out it seemed a formality, but the ball did a bit and nobody could hit boundaries let alone sixes. Whilst I hope for a few more runs today, I just think conditions, the quality of Thomas and karthik in being economical and the loss of a huge hitter in pollard will keep this below the line.