** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Quality/arrogance of posts

Just seeing what other people think about this, but personally I feel the quality of posts has gone down slightly in some of the football threads. There's a lot of posts now of just rubbish, either people arguing with eachother or people not giving reasoning, and then after a result people boasting about how much money they've won or how incredibly talented at tipping they are. Anyone else have a view?

Re: Quality/arrogance of posts I agree with Jk, the CL thread today is a mess. Good to hear it's in the prosess of being taken care of :) PS- Is the report function actively used on this forum? I remember reporting someone spamming links in every single thread, and asked for feedback as to if my reporting was the right thing to do - never got a response on that, I understand not having time to give a reply to every report, but that's why I'm asking it again here :) I ask because I know some forums have it, but the mods ignore it/it's coded out of the site, so I'd rather not waste my time if that's the case here :)

Re: Quality/arrogance of posts

You said that 2 months ago ;) EDIT: Just checked the PM, it was 4 months ago :)
A bit harsh maybe?
I agree with Jk, the CL thread today is a mess. Good to hear it's in the prosess of being taken care of :) PS- Is the report function actively used on this forum? I remember reporting someone spamming links in every single thread, and asked for feedback as to if my reporting was the right thing to do - never got a response on that, I understand not having time to give a reply to every report, but that's why I'm asking it again here :) I ask because I know some forums have it, but the mods ignore it/it's coded out of the site, so I'd rather not waste my time if that's the case here :)
Jens: From a personal point of view, I think its quite helpful when people use the reporting feature. With regards to spam threads, these are normally very easy for mods to see, bit if its stupid posts like Sloppy is referring to, or spam hidden within threads, a quick press of the report button is useful. We do get an email every time someone reports a post though, so probably best if it not over-used so to speak. :ok

J There's a lot of posts now of just rubbish, either people arguing with eachother
Have noticed this a lot, along with sarcastic emarks made when bets lose etc.....
or people not giving reasoning,
99% of the time, in the football threads, there is reasoning. The level and standard of the reasoning is getting less admittedly.....
and then after a result people boasting about how much money they've won or how incredibly talented at tipping they are.
Cant abide that tbh.... have noticed one or two in particular doing it, and also berating teams when their picked are losers and talking about how much a pick cost them

Re: Quality/arrogance of posts Was just about to start a post on exactly the same subject. I'm less and less inclined to post in the busy football threads lately because there's so much rubbish in them that I realy don't see the point. It's also becoming a pain trying to sift through to find some posts worth reading in amongst the dross and it gives a terrible first impression to any newbies. Personally, I'd like to see a ban on people pulling up their own winning bets and commenting on them. Surely the point of the forum is to share opinions and info, not to boost your ego by bragging about how great you are? If someone else wants to offer thanks or congrats on a good pick then fair enough, but it's so tiresome to see endless self-quotes with a :dude or :cash after them. Actualy, I'd quite like to get rid of the :cashall together....?

Just seeing what other people think about this, but personally I feel the quality of posts has gone down slightly in some of the football threads. There's a lot of posts now of just rubbish, either people arguing with eachother or people not giving reasoning, and then after a result people boasting about how much money they've won or how incredibly talented at tipping they are. Anyone else have a view?
Have to agree with you. You would think that anyone new to the forum would keep their heads down and just produce some good insights and tipping for others to applaud without them blowing their own trumpet! Having said that I have seen some very good first posters recently but not on the CL or EPL which are more popular.

This is a big reason why I don't post picks here. I do regularly on another forum but there are so many people, especially in the UK forums, that just post garbage.

Personally' date=' I'd like to see a ban on people pulling up their own winning bets and commenting on them. Surely the point of the forum is to share opinions and info, not to boost your ego by bragging about how great you are? If someone else wants to offer thanks or congrats on a good pick then fair enough, but it's so tiresome to see endless self-quotes with a [/quote'] Disagree slightly. I often pull up some of my posts whether they are winners or losers. This helps me to evaluate whether the pick was well thought out or not. I agree that the sort of over the top celebratory posters are annoying, but I take the attitude that, if they want to celebrate, let them. I know for a fact that the next week, they'll be crying into their cup of cocoa after losing their winnings betting on a three legged horse. The only real problem I have is when these posts go over the top before the thread has finished. Agree entirely. The Europa league threads and the CL need cleaning up imo. Naturally, you get a lot of European punters in there that don't understand the word reasoning. Also, the Midweek betting thread this week was turned into some kind of private playground.

Same principles. Have the confidence to post' date=' and the forum will become what you expect it to be.[/quote'] It's not about confidence at all. I am very confident in my picks and post them on a very popular forum where I tip on the mainsite as well as the forum. It's about whether it's worth doing when no one can see them through the 10+ pages of rubbish p.s. it's of course nothing personal against you Jase, yours is one of the opinions worth listening to in that forum and there are others. It's just the overwhelming majority whos aren't

This is a big reason why I don't post picks here. I do regularly on another forum but there are so many people' date=' especially in the UK forums, that just post garbage.[/quote'] You can't just come here and say that without examples. There's plenty of great posters who will take great offence to what you've just said.

It's not about confidence at all. I am very confident in my picks and post them on a very popular forum where I tip on the mainsite as well as the forum.
What forum? if you're allowed to say..... tbh PL is the best forum I've come across, and things could be much much worse.

Re: Quality/arrogance of posts The ones who are worth listening to should know who they are. I think it's quite obvious which members of this forum I'm talking about. I could go through last weekend's premier league thread and name them but that would be an exercise in futility

You said that 2 months ago ;) EDIT: Just checked the PM, it was 4 months ago :)
No excuse other than the last 14 months have been personally quite tough. This means without me directing things on here, that things can go a little downhill, but I don't see a major problem. Things just need tidying up and after I've put the ratings up, I'm going to ask certain members to help do that, in joining the team as moderators. :ok

No excuse other than the last 14 months have been personally quite tough. This means without me directing things on here, that things can go a little downhill, but I don't see a major problem. Things just need tidying up and after I've put the ratings up, I'm going to ask certain members to help do that, in joining the team as moderators. :ok
Yeh thats cool, as I said I've got lots of time on my hands and I'm more than willing to help out if needed. As you say, there's not much that needs to be done its just a bit of tyding up really.

Cash smiley removed.
good call. I know this doesn't affect me directly, but it does affect my consience. Would it maybe be possible to set the report button to notify moderators of a report when they log on (like with PMs), rather than send them an e-mail? I'd hate to clog up their inboxes when reporting useless posts :$

good call. I know this doesn't affect me directly, but it does affect my consience. Would it maybe be possible to set the report button to notify moderators of a report when they log on (like with PMs), rather than send them an e-mail? I'd hate to clog up their inboxes when reporting useless posts :$
Will check if that's possible. :ok

Cash smiley removed.
:clap Personally, I hope there's more than just a bit of tidying up in the busiest footie threads as they do sometimes descend into utter bunfights, but it's great to hear that something is being done so quickly. Fingers crossed that we'll see an impovement in the overall quality to match the rest of the forum. :ok

Re: Quality/arrogance of posts No denying that running a forum with as many members as we have must be time consuming so I can understand why some threads full of garbage go unnoticed and unchallenged. However, I do find it a bit monotonmous myself, having to trawl through dozens of pages of bitchy remarks, posts constructed through text speak and various members thinking they are the be all and end all of the site because they picked a winner at 1.8.. There are some really good posters on this site, shame there is no 'test' you have to sit before your allowed to post on the real football pages.. By 'test' I mean to make sure you are capable of constructing a well reasoned and thought out post, not to test your gambling ability.