Rio's Racing Diary

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Last use of this seasons Go Racing In Yorkshire card before the new one kicks in from tomorrow, 89 times I will have used it after today at a cost of a couple of quid short of £400 & paying normal entry I'd be around the £1500 mark, cracking value. The ground is good but while it's probably going to be better than it has been for some time it must still be just on the easy side but there will be a few that have been hating the ground coming back to form. I have one main bet & a patent with extra on the singles. 2.10 On the theme of returning to better ground helping there's a few in here that fit that pattern, Lysino, Arkansas Dave & Vodka Red are three, what they also are is not very good. In fact I've checked several times that this is a class 4 handicap & not a seller & the nearest the last named has come to a win was in a Stratford seller in August 2011. Polstar might improve now he goes handicapping & has at least won on the flat but three novice runs are poor form. Ivans Back has managed a couple of remote 3rds among his 11 hurdle starts & Biggar might do better dropping back to this trip having raced at half a mile further the last twice. The two with anything like reasonable form are Easydoesit & Ergo Sum. Easydoesit beat Ergo Sum by 5l's over C&D on good to soft just over a month ago & is 6lb worse off, he then made his chase debut at Catterick where he didn't seem to take to it & was pulled up. The ground was softer there too so back over hurdles & better ground ought to see him run well against this lot. That 2nd was the first bit of decent form shown by Ergo Sum although he's only had five starts, he ought to get closer today but Easydoesit was a clear winner that day & should hold Ergo Sum again here. 2.40 This should be between Free Thinking who has to give them all 7lb (minus Waley-Cohen's 3lb) for an easy win in a Ludlow maiden hurdle in mid November but she then flopped at the end of that month when last seen in a Newbury Listed event & Bull and Bush who was just held in a Fontwell novice at around this trip in December on her first hurdles run. Both have been off a while, the King yard shutting down at New Year with a bug but they seem to be running well now & I'd be leaning towards Bull and Bush but I haven't played in this race yet. 3.10 Unless Sign of a Victory tips up then he ought to win this pulling a bus but is not for me at around 2/5. 3.45 Another disappointing small field for a novice chase. Croco Bay is the only one to jump a fence in public & sets a fair standard having won a similar race at Catterick & then getting done a short head at Kelso when conceding 22lbs. Oscatara has won a point & a Bangor novice hurdle in December 2012 but was pulled up on heavy after a year off LTO. The better ground will help today. Simarthur will also like the better ground & is a winning Point/Bumper/Hurdler, I'm half tempted to have a nibble at this one but I think this 2m 3f might be a bit on the short side. 4.20 Brijomi Queen was just held on heavy at half a mile further at Carlisle LTO & should go well, but Koolala might be better suited by conditions & won quite nicely two starts ago at Uttoxeter, mid-field in a Kempton jumpers bumper after but I'm prepared to forgive that & I'll take Koolala here. 4.55 King of the Wolds is the main hope today. He looked progressive when wining his first two chases at around today's trip & then was a decent 2nd to Pepite Rose at Wetherby at Xmas. Bit disappointing LTO here but that was at 2m's & back up in trip he can get back in the winners. Robbie seems to like the track but not the last twice & has a bit to prove now. Granville Island is in good form but is up to a career high mark. Billy Cuckoo is 6lb higher than when winning over C&D two starts ago but was pulled up next time. Shadows Lengthen & Jack the Gent are both struggling for form but are quite well handicapped. 5.25 Short Takes escapes a pen for a win in a four runner heavy ground Conditionals race at Sedgefield last week, while he might well follow up this is a much harder race & I wouldn't touch him at around 9/4. Quite why Grand Gigolo is as short as 7/2 in places on what he's shown so far is beyond me & should he win this then I would hope the stewards are still awake. I've gone with Halifax here, he's down in the weights, down in class & will like the better ground. Just to note that one has come out of this & according to the BHA site this was at 8.17. Most of the bookies with prices were 12/1 & 14/1, however one firm put the withdrawn horse in for the first time at 8.20 & at 9/1. This would mean a 10p deduction when everybody else is knocking off 5p. I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, THIS IS NOTHING SHORT OF THIEVING. Bets. Easydoesit 4/1 Koolala 7/2 Halifax 6/1 1pt patent + 3 x 1pts singles = 10pts staked Betvictor BOG. King of the Wolds 32pts @ 9/4 Hills BOG. ?Rio.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A two day round up most probably tomorrow & straight to Doncasters last jumps fixture of the Winter. 1.45 Yet again another poor turn out for a novice chase which has just three runners now. Pass. 2.20 Getting 5lb from Toubeera I've gone with Layla Joan in this, the former has form in better races & won a Grade 2 LTO but Layla Joan looks ready for the step up in class after winning her last three on the bounce in good style. Mayfair Music is also unexposed but I like Gordon Elliott & when he sends one over from Ireland, they tend not to be coming for a day out. 2.55 Simply Ned is clearly progressive but is up another 7lb for a C&D win LTO. Doeslessthanme will like this better ground & is quite well handicapped. Kings Grey likes it here but seems a bit below form this Winter. Swift Arrow is another up in the weights to a career high & Lucky Landing is similar but will like the better ground. Turn Over Sivola keeps finding at least one to beat him while Prince of Dreams has one win from 26 starts under rules. Shadrack is up in class & the interesting one is Lidar who's another that will like this going, forget the Kempton jumpers bumper run LTO, he didn't like Lingfield's surface either on a run there last January & the 2nd at Exeter in December on ground a bit softer than ideal is fair form as is the Ascot 2nd off 3lb higher than today in November 2012 & the booking of Barry Geraghty is eye catching. 3.30 There's a few warming for the Grand National here but the one I like is Court By Surprise who was a fine 2nd off 4lb less at Sandown in December & has won at the track over 2f's less, you need to forgive him the run in this race off 3lb lower last year but the stable were not in the same form then & he should run well here on ground that will suit him & he's worth an each way. 4.05 A tight looking handicap but I'll go with Dawn Commander who won well in one of those Kempton jumpers bumpers LTO & who's quite well handicapped on some of his best hurdles form & the switch to a new stable may have rekindled the fires. 5.15 I don't usually play in bumpers but we're staying for the Cheltenham preview after racing & Shout it Aloud ought to at least give me a run for the money after just being held at Kempton on his racecourse debut. The last one I have in a lucky 15 with three tips from the racing club website. Bets Vincent Row 3.10 Navan 10/1 Shangani 3.50 Newbury 7/2 Unsinkable 5.10 Lingfield 8/1 Shout it Aloud 5/2 0.5pt lucky 15 Corals BOG. Layla Joan 6/4 Lidar 7/1 Dawn Commander 7/2 5pt patent + 3 x 5pt singles = 50pts staked Skybet BOG. Court by Surprise 15pts ew @ 11/2 Hills BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A two day Donny round up then. Friday Most pleasant in the sun, well at first because it got nippy later. Both Mowgli & myself had agreed that while the first race was not much better than a seller Easydoesit ought to at least run well. We both decided to do a placepot, just a few lines & this one went in as a banker. However when we head off to the betting ring he's on the slide & ends up going off at 7/1 which is about twice the odds he was with several bookies in the morning. Off they go & at the first hurdle, which will be the last when they come round again there's absolute carnage, Biggar falls & brings down Ergo Sum & Vodka Red which means there are three of the more fancied ones out already. This makes no difference whatsoever because Easydoesit never gets involved, the form reads...

Held up in rear, headwayapproaching 3 out, never on terms (op 11/2)
He ends up 5th beaten 20l's & that was as near as he got, both Mowgli & myself are less than impressed with this & it's one of those runs that you'd expect the stewards to ask questions about but no not a bloody peep, in fact the only race they ask any thing about all day is the last & I can't help but think that they must have had an heavier than usual lunch & only woke up before the final race. Not a great start then, Mowgli's doing his Mavis Riley impression & is trying to make his mind up between Free Thinking & Bull and Bush. I'm been more decisive, I'm backing Bull and Bush but only if I can get 6/4. I can't so I don't back her, Mowgli does & cheers her home & now I'm even more cheesed off. Next up is the days "Good thing" & it's hard to see Sign of a Victory getting beat but 1/4 is not our cup of tea & we decide to chuck a few bob at the exacta, the obvious one is Chebsey Beau but the predicted payout is odds on so we end up going with Time of My Life which Mowgli also has a little bet on. He runs a decent enough race until after the third last where he beats a quick retreat. Sign of a Victory wins pulling a bus with Chebsey Beau a clear 2nd. The exacta pays £2.70 which is a good quid more than it predicted two minutes before the off & I wish that somebody could drag the Tote into the 21st century. Croco Bay ought to win the novice chase but is odds on & we decide to have a bet on Simarthur at 13/2 & there are a few more thinking this way because he goes off at 9/2. I say goes off, it's more like tails off because he's never traveling at all, his jumping is rotten & that's been kind & he gets round in his own time in a remote last of the four. I'd like the question asked "Have you schooled this one over fences or did you just turn up & hope for the best"? The stewards though are still in the land of nod. Croco Bay jumps round for fun, wins at evens & with the 20/20 vision of hindsight that was a good price. By now I'm extremely brassed off & the mood gets no better during the next when Koolala makes a pigs ear of the first & is immediately left several lengths detached at the rear. Mowgli's backed Pass the Time & enjoys cheering this one home from the last, Koolala runs on very late & gets up for 2nd on the line just a length behind the winner. I would say that Dominic Elsworth tried his best though & wasn't getting much help from Koolala until late on, however I could cheerfully go home at this stage. I have King of the Wolds in the next though & this was my big hope for the day. Billy Cuckoo has come out & King of the Wolds is now 6/4, he looks to have every chance turning in with four to jump & then chucks the towel in straight after jumping that one & trails home 4th of the five. Mowgli's backed Robbie who does a Koolala & looks like never getting involved & then comes home late for 3rd. We stay for the last where Halifax seems to be going well until two out & Mowgli's pick never gets in the race. Grand Gigolo which was the well fancied one with no worthwhile form is a 5l's 3rd. Short Takes the McCain runner without a pen looks like winning but Sue Smith's Groomed gets up in the last 100 yards to beat him. Jonathon England has been knocking seven bells out of this one for most of the near enough two & a half miles & the stewards are now awake & have him in....
The Stewards held an enquiry into the use of the whip by Jonathan England, the rider of the winner, GROOMED (IRE), from the second-last flight of hurdles. Having heard his evidence and viewed recordings of the race, they found him in breach of Schedule (B)6 Part 2 in that he had used his whip above the permitted level. The Stewards suspended England for 2 days as follows: Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 March 2014.
While we were sat before the first an old boy wandered past us, looks at us & says "Save all your money & get on McCain's in the last" As we are heading for the exit we are both waiting for the scream of a now destitute pensioner taking a header of the main stand. We leave from behind the family stand & there's another old lad shuffling along muttering away "He should be £$%^ing well warned off he should" He's clearly not a fan of Harvey Smith but it's not even him who has the licence & there's clearly more than me had a bad day at the office, still I least it has me smiling again & tomorrow is another day. Nothing back from the 42pts posted. Stakes 7796.4pts Returns 6138.43pts P/L -1657.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1820 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 672.05pts Returns 792.77pts P/L +120.72pts These are the final numbers before the annual reset & do not make good reading. As I have stated I am rethinking my strategy & the yearly report reads "must do better" Ever onwards. Saturday. We're running a bit late & get there just before the first which Victor Hewgo ought to win but we're just watching. It's all over when Cowards Close blunders at three out but Victor was going better anyway & wins pulling up. Having thought that it couldn't get much worse than yesterday it immediately does. Mowgli also fancies Layla Joan & has backed her, we're both worried about the unexposed Henderson runner but are surprised to see them at 2/1 joint favs, Mowgli decides to back her again. Out come the jocks, there are a few with her but I don't see Gordon Elliott, on they get & off they go. Something must have caught my eye as they arrived at the first & I didn't see what happened but hear Mowgli say "He's fallen off" Turning back to the big screen I can see Paul Carberry rolling on the floor & the horse running off, bugger. I have history with this jockey, not asking Harchibald until far too late in the Champion Hurdle for one & before anybody says it yes he probably wouldn't have gone past Hardy Eustace anyway but the thing is he never gave him chance to & it was a rank bad ride. He also managed to get Cause of Causes beaten at 2/9 at Downpatrick a couple of years ago & it's fair to say Mr Carberry is not one of my favourite pilots. Having watched it again at home Layla Joan seems to jump the hurdle ok but then stumbles coming away from the flight & he goes out of the side door. The view is a little obscured by another runner but he does seem to come off rather tamely for somebody who's supposed to be a top horseman. He arrives back in the parade ring just as the winner Henderson's Mayfair Music who was quite impressive & is a big strapping girl comes back. He wanders over to connections & nobody seems right bothered that they've come over & not even had a run & there are plenty of smiles but not from Mowgli & myself. The main thing is the mare is alright & she even went on the chase course & jumped a fence while following the rest of them round. The mood gets no better after the next where Lidar does too much up near the front & is cooked before four out. Mowgli's backed Landing Light who also fades tamely & Simply Ned who plods on for a remote 3rd. We go inside where I want to watch the 3.10 at Navan, the only telly with it on is at the Ladbrokes, there's commentary but you can't hear it because all the other tv's are showing the Doncaster replay with the volume turned up so loud that Beethoven could probably hear it. Vincent Row's jockey is supposed to be in black & white hoops but neither of us can see him, the betting shows he's in there because he's been well backed into 5/1. Looking at it later he's a never nearer 3.5l's 4th. Back out for the Grimthorpe where Mowgli backs Mart Lane at a long price & he's already on Storm Survivor, I have a bit more each way on Court By Surprise. Mart Lane disappears but Storm Survivor runs a good race for runner up. Court By Surprise seems to have a chance of a place turning in but like so many others folds up before two out. The kick in the nuts is Night in Milan winning at 14/1 when I'd backed him LTO & he pulled up. The stewards ask & it seems he liked the better ground this time & to be fair all his wins bar one have come on good to soft or better. Mowgli's had a bet on the footie & is looking at the scores on his phone, I've had a bet too & four of his five are winning with just one letting him down coming up to half time. A check of mine shows all five of mine are in front, can we make half time full time today please? Back inside to watch the Newbury race at 3.50. Shangani looks held after the last but the other one lugs left on him & nearly pushes him up the wrong side of the rail, Scudamore shoves back on Shangani & just stays on the right course & then he rallies gamely to win. Corn in Egypt I've backed a winner but even now I'm wondering whose fault the bumping & barging was & I'm fearing the stewards may chuck him out. Back out for Donny's 4.05 The one Mowgli backs disappears without a trace but Dawn Commander is running well & is heading down to two out with the favourite Drop Out Joe. I need a good jump & get one & he hits the front & goes a couple of lengths up. He pings the last & scampers away to score, two winners in about 15 minutes & he's a point longer on the SP too. Slight dampener when Mowgli informs me that two of my footie matches are now all square & he still needs Sheffield Wednesday to score. He backs I Got Power against the odds on Tistory in the novice hurdle which turns into a farce when they omit the last three hurdles because of the low sun leaving just four to jump & they have to weave their way between the hurdles & fences up the straight twice. Tistory wins without leaving first gear & I Got power is a remote 4th. Mowgli's looking at the footie scores again Wednesday have gone in front with three minutes left & he has a full house. The two that were letting me down are now back in front, blow the bloody whistle refs. There's an anxious few minutes as each result goes full time, then I have all mine in. He just needs Preston now & it's well after 5pm, in fact I'm wanting to watch the 5.10 at Lingfield, then that game finishes & we're both in & we dash off to watch Unsinkable make a passing impression of the Titanic & come stone bonking last. Back out for the bumper where Shout it Aloud is on the drift & runs a shocker...
Michael Byrne, the rider of SHOUT IT ALOUD, unplaced, reported that the gelding ran too free in the early stages.
Seemed to be going easy enough to me, oh well. Mowgli's backed The Grey Taylor but he gets run out of it in the last 100 yards by Long John Dawson on Aiaam al Namoos who gets dragged in for a chat...
The Stewards held an enquiry into the use of the whip by John Dawson, the rider of the winner, AIAAM AL NAMOOS, from three out. Having heard his evidence and viewed recordings of the race, they found him in breach of Schedule (B)6 Part 2 in that he had used his whip above the permitted level. The Stewards suspended Dawson for 2 days as follows: Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 March 2014.
We go looking for the Cheltenham preview which turns out to be in the Conduit Suite but they're still setting up & we look a bit out of place in among the suits & fancy dresses, it's probably the flat caps & the whippet that give us away but at least we're sober & there are a few that fancy themselves as being classy that are rather the worse for wear. In fact there have quite a few of the "Lets see how drunk we can get & act daft brigade" around today. We decide to bail out. The sole winner on the lucky 15 returned 4 of the 7.5pts staked & Dawn Commander got 55pts back after the BOG kicked in. Singles etc W/R 0-1 Stakes 30pts Returns 0pts Profit/Loss -30pts Multiple bets Stakes 57.5pts Returns 59pts Profit/Loss +1.5pts Expenses £410 The expenses are for the cost of my Go Racing In Yorkshire pass & include the bit extra that I will have to pay for the Ebor/St Leger upgrade around June time but I'll put it in now. Polstar Polstar_zpse700c6dd.jpg Bull and Bush BullampBush_zpsab1e24c2.jpg Sign of a Victory SignofaVictory_zpsff9683b8.jpg Croco Bay CrocoBay_zps5450b0aa.jpg Pass the Time PasstheTime_zps246e5f24.jpg Shadows Lengthen ShadowsLengthen_zps3d6a83d4.jpg Victor Hewgo VictorHewgo_zps9404587f.jpg Layla Joan LaylaJoan_zps4202af99.jpg Night in Milan NightinMilan_zpsffdfdebf.jpg Dawn Commander DawnCommander_zpsa811cad2.jpg Tistory Tistory_zps403213fa.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Having looked at Cattericks last jump card before the switch back to the flat next month I have decided not to bother, it's a really unbalanced lot with a seller, two novice handicap chases with small fields, another poor turn out for the mares novice hurdle, a handicap hurdle which looks no better than the seller & to close the card a novice hunter chase & a bumper for conditionals & Amateurs. No thanks. Having got to the stage where most but not all of the bookies are going none runner no bet I thought I'd dip the toe in the water & have a small interest on next weeks festival. Also on Tuesday evening Mowgli & myself went to a preview night & after I got back I added another small bet to the portfolio & will post a review in the preview thread in the Cheltenham forum after this. The first pick comes in the Arkle where I think Champagne Fever needs taking on. I don't think that he's had enough experience over fences to warrant being as short as he is & he's not been seen since a distant 3rd at Leopardstown on Boxing Day. The pick of the Irish form now seems to be Trifolium's who was 2nd to Defy Logic in that race & then won their Arkle back at that track where Defy Logic broke a blood vessel & he misses the festival. Rock On Ruby is another with just two chase starts & after winning a three runner Plumpton race where he looked less than a natural he turned up for a match with Mr Mole at Doncaster when I was there & jumped much better apart from a small mistake at the last to win that. It hardly gets him battle hardened for a race which is nearly always run at a fast pace & where any mistakes are hard to get away with. Dodging Bullets has won three of his four chases including over C&D & was just held by Module at Newbury last month where the heavy ground wouldn't have suited him. He should go well but I'm just favouring Valdez who I was quite impressed with on his last start in late January at Doncaster & where he jumped really well after a slight mistake at the first. At a general 9/1 he looks a fair price. With Annie Power now aimed at the staying championship & Un de Sceaux looking at this stage like swerving the meeting the Champion hurdle would look to be between the defending champ Hurricane Fly, The New One, Our Connor & My Tent Or Yours. This would be the strongest renewal that the Fly has contested & he probably needs a new personal best to retain his crown. After looking a bit workmanlike on his return in November he's been more like the real thing the last twice although he did make a bit of a mistake at the last in the Irish Champion LTO & had to battle a bit but he was well on top at the end. Our Conor was 2nd there & looks to have been brought along with this day in mind. He was hugely impressive in last years Triumph & a run near to that form would see him in the mix, however I'm not a fan of the tactic of it's this day or nothing & would have like to have seen him a bit more competitive in his earlier starts. Would The New One have held MTOY in the Xmas hurdle had he not fluffed the last? Myself I don't think so I still think My Tent would have won & I think he's a better horse than last year when he was just held close home in the Supreme. He was my pick at the prices so I was less than happy having placed the bet Monday evening to find out the next day that he's pricked a foot & was on the drift but Henderson is saying it shouldn't be a problem, we'll see:hope Faugeen is unextended in three starts since going hurdling & could be anything but Mullin's has been making noises about being less than happy with him since his last run just after Xmas which is a bit off putting for the Neptune. Vautour looks Supreme bound & Kings Palace & Captain Cutter seem destined for the Albert Bartlett with Briar Hill so I'm going for Red Sherlock who's a perfect six in bumpers & hurdles & I was impressed by him up the hill on trials day in January on really heavy ground & I'm expecting him to be better on the likely decent going. Lastly I am taking on the aforementioned Kings Palace & Briar Hill with Captain Cutter in the Albert Bartlett. Kings Palace just about sets the standard on his C&D win in December when last seen & the break ought not to be a problem. Briar Hill could be anything & hosed up in the Champion bumper last year & while he's unbeaten in three hurdle runs he's not beaten much & only faced one & two rivals in the last two starts. Captain Cutter beat Kings Palace on his racecourse debut in a heavy ground Ascot bumper but this is much different of course. Since going hurdling he's unbeaten in three & after a pair of penalty kicks looked much improved at 2m 5f in the Challow at Newbury on heavy when last seen, the better ground & step up to 3m's should suit him here. Bet365 are not only NRNB but are now going BOG as well. Bet Valdez 9/1 My Tent Or Yours 9/2 Red Sherlock 5/1 Captain Cutter 9/1 0.5pt ew lucky 15, 15pts staked Bet365 BOG. Having taken in what was said at the preview night last evening I have placed another small stake multiple & will flesh it out a bit more in the other thread shortly. Bet Corrin Wood 9/1 RSA If in Doubt 8/1 Pertemps Cheltenian 10/1 County Oscar Delta 10/1 Foxhunters Tanks For That Grand Annual 0.25pt lucky 31, 7.75pts staked Skybet BOG. Skybet are doing the same offer now as Bet365. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Here's the preview post from the Cheltenham thread.

Went to the Yorkshire Racing Club preview night at the Pudsey Liberal Club with Mowgli last evening. To follow a similar format the panel were Chair Bill Warby BW Racecourse commentator Gareth Topham GT Author of "Jumping Prospects" John Morris JM Trainer Brian Ellison BE Timeform NH handicapper Matt Taylor MT The chairman was quite amusing & after a general ribbing of GT (looks about 11yo's, not wrong) JM (only here to sell his book) & best dressed man award for MT (well he had come straight from work in Halifax & probably looked quite smart for there) it's down to business. I must thank Mowgli for the translation of Brian Ellison's thoughts because while the sound system left a lot to be desired Brian makes Lester piggott sound like a BBC newsreader. Supreme Just about all thought that Irving was now too short. GT Thought that Wilde Blue Yonder had been unlucky to tip up the last twice when in the lead at the last & might be value along with Henderson's Vaniteux who he'd commented on when winning a minor novice at Doncaster LTO. BE & JM both mentioned the fav Vautour with JM also putting up Wicklow Brave. MT also went with Wicklow Brave & another of Mullin's Adriana des mottes. Arkle All bar GT put up Trifolium & all agreed that on what they'd shown so far Champagne Fever & Rock On Ruby had a lot to prove. GT thought that Dodging Bullets was nailed on for the first three & he knows the son of the owner of Valdez & they were sweet on his chances. However MT thought that Dodging Bullets was too short & put up Hinterland each way NRNB because he thought that Nicholls might go to the Queen Mother instead with no Sprinter Sacre. Champion Hurdle They were split here with BE & GT going with Our Conor. JM said the Fly to buzz in & MT was with MY Tent Or Yours but was now worried by the pricked foot scare & put put Hurricane Fly if MTOY didn't turn up/run well. For the Neptune they all went Faugeen with GT putting up Ballyalton has an ew alternative. RSA MT passed on this one BE was with Many Clouds. JM had done a preview night with Donald McCain & had managed to find out they were keen on Corrin Wood GT said the only bet he'd had so far was on Corrin Wood & that Many Clouds should also go well, he also mentioned Green Flag as an each way at a big price. Queen Mother They all thought that Sire de Grugy was very short & this didn't seem to be his Track. MT & JM put up Hinterland ew if he runs in this & not the Arkle. BE went for Kid Cassidy & Captain Conan GT thought SDG was too short but declined to put anything up against him. Ryanair MT & BE both went with Dynaste & BE also put up Hidden Cyclone at an ew price. JM went with Benefficient & First Lieutenant but the latter may go to the Gold Cup if Last Instalment doesn't run in that. GT thought this was the race for Al Ferof & also thought Baily Green might go well at a big price for Mouse Morris. Ladbrokes World Hurdle They all thought that Big Bucks has it all to do after his injury & that comeback run. GT went More of That ew. JM thought At Fishers Cross would run a big race. MT though thought At Fishers Cross was too short & both he & BE went for Annie Power. Triumph Mentions for Broughton from both GT & BE. GT also liked Pearl Castles Doncaster run & MT went for him along with La Rocher if it comes up soft. JM Liked Activial & Rutherglen ew. BW went with Calipto. Albert Bartlett GT thought Briars Hill hasn't beaten much & went Kings Palace with Blakemont ew. JM went Kings Palace & Captain Cutter. BE Briars Hill MT Kings Palace & Captain Cutter. Gold Cup. All bar GT went for Bobs Worth & he put up Silviniarco Conti. JM thought Triolo D'Alene was worth an ew. MT put up Rocky Creek as an ew alternative. Anything else? BE has Yesyoucan in the Coral Cup & if he gets in he should run well but he needs quite a few to come out. He also has Viva Colonia in the Grand Annual but didn't sound so keen on him even though he'd get in the race. MT thought that Tanks For That looked a well handicapped horse in that race & he also put up Cheltenian for the County Hurdle but he needs a good few to defect to get in. GT thought that Oscar Delta looked over priced to make up for throwing away the Foxhunters on the run in last year. Finally the Naps.. GT Corrin Wood JM Faugheen BE Many Clouds MT Cheltenian BW Calipto. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Forgot to mention that the Timeform chap Matt Taylor was the co owner of Red Merlin who of course I followed all over the Country two or three years ago & who won five races for him & the Timeform/Betfair racing club & I was there with the owners head on for each of those wins. The last of those was the 2012 Swinton Hurdle at Haydock after which he was injured & with the club now closed I had no idea what had happened to him so at the halfway break I went & asked Matt. Red Merlin is now back in training & Matt bought out the other half of him along with the other club horses Bourne & Koup de kanon who has also been injured. They were hoping to get Red Merlin ready for this years Swinton but it looks like he won't be fit enough, the plan before he was injured was a couple of runs on the flat & then a tilt at the Galway Hurdle & that would seem to be the plan again now. I'm hoping that he just stays sound & that nothing happens to him because he's been injured twice now:hope Koup de Kanon is going to have one more try in the Autumn but if he doesn't stand up to training then he will be retired. Matt thinks Bourne might have won at Wetherby on Boxing day if he hadn't tried to take the last hurdle with him & he does have his own ideas about the game. He's in the Pertemps but would struggle to make the cut & he looks to have even less chance of getting in the Martin Pipe. I think he's quite well handicapped at the moment & he might just pop up at a price before long. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary

Thanks for the preview read' date='never been to one,but going up for gold cup with mates,that never bet so while they are in the bar I will b betting on two snails in the car park :)[/quote'] Not been to the festival but I suspect that the snails will have finished before your mates get served in the bar. If I was going I'd probably put my bets on before going because it was busy enough the last time I was there on the Sunday of the open meeting in 2012 & the betting ring can be bedlam. That would give you time to pick a spot round the parade ring for one or two races & stay there to watch them go round & come back in even if you miss the race round the front of the stands because getting there & back will be a work of art. Enjoy the day & be lucky. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary There's no doubt that as a Yorkshire based racegoer March is the worst month of the lot for me, I've got used to going on a Saturday especially but the next three Saturdays are all blank for me with the Northern racing being Ayr tomorrow, Newcastle next week & Kelso the week after. The next Yorkshire meeting is Wetherby on the 18th but there is some minor affair going on down in Gloucestershire next week to stop me getting bored & meanwhile the owners head comes out of the box for another run down to Wolverhampton this evening where we have two runners & :hope that they run better than the last time I was there three weeks ago. Looking at what they've put up on the website then the one that they're not that keen on is Helmsley Flyer who goes in the last race at 8.30. He won off 3lb less over C&D on the 1st of Feb with Grandiloquent 9l's behind & 7lb better off tonight & that one won an apprentice race last week & has no pen for that. Helmsley then stepped up to 1m 6f's & looked to be traveling really well till he found nothing in the last 2f's, was that too far? I think the thought is that he's a bit limited in ability & this looks a stronger race & I would agree looking at his form. Rocky Rebel & Pinotage both have been placed recently & are both dropping back a bit in trip which should suit both although neither of them has much of a strike rate. The interesting one is Sian Gwalia who won fairly well on that card at the trip three weeks ago & is up just 4lb, that was a class higher & looked a stronger race than tonights & I'm thinking I might back her against us but haven't done so yet, I have had a tiny bet on Helmsley just in case. The other runner is Philosofy in the maiden at 8.00 & they seem a bit more bullish about her chances. I did see her run on soft ground in a Catterick bumper in January where she ran well for a long way on her racecourse debut until she faded late into 3rd. She went back there just over a week later on heavy & battled well to just win in another bumper, there's not a lot of that sort of race around for her so she's having a go on the level & she is quite well bred being by Barathea out of an Unfuwain mare. She ought to handle the surface which is a good bit slower than usual & it seems the danger is thought to be Puzzle Time who's also a bumper winner & has run 2nd the last twice in a couple of similar races to tonights. Gabrial the Terror would look to be the other with any chance having finished 6th beaten under 2l's at this trip at Lingfield two weeks ago. It depends how she takes to the surface but I think she might run alright & it seems a few others do because the price has collapsed since I backed her but it's not my millions. Looking at the rest of the card the nearest thing to what would call a proper bet would be Emerald Breeze in the 6.00. She's got a 6lb pen for winning a similar C&D race last week in first time blinkers & if they work again tonight she would take a bit of beating in what doesn't look a strong race. I've had a bet but not the max because she's not really my price but I'm hoping she pays for the petrol. The first race is a tidy little handicap with three last time winners & the in form Thorpe Bay but he's done all his winning at Southwell & while it is riding slower at Wolves it's still not Southwell. I've had a little bit in a patent on Desert Strike who's on his last winning mark & who looked a bit unlucky LTO behind Megaleka & that one has a 6lb pen here. The 7.00 is a class 7:eek I thought they didn't do these any more & what's made me pick one in here I don't know & the funny farm gets ever nearer. Actually I do know why, Moves Like Jagger has only had four runs & the last of those was an handicap debut here over C&D in a slightly better race, well it could hardly be worse & he ran quite well in a first time visor & that's why, they are pretty dreadful lot really, here comes the rubber bus. The club tipsters put a couple up at Dundalk tonight, Prince of All is too short for me but Catwilldo has been running well at the track & I've stuck that one in to make up the patent in the 6.45. Bets. Emerald Breeze 20pts @ 6/4 Paddy Power BOG. Philosofy 5pts @ 7/2 Bet365 BOG. Helmsley Flyer 2pts @ 15/2 Stan James BOG. Desert Strike 4/1 Moves Like Jagger 9/2 Catwilldo 3/1 1pt patent + 3 x 1pt singles = 10pts staked Skybet BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Just looked at the results and noticed Helmsley at 4-1. Hope they told you to have a few more quid on when you got there and hope you got a glass of bubbly and into the winners enclosure. :ok Don't be getting that Beth drunk, bet she's a right mucky sort. ;)

Re: Rio's Racing Diary

Just looked at the results and noticed Helmsley at 4-1. Hope they told you to have a few more quid on when you got there and hope you got a glass of bubbly and into the winners enclosure. :ok Don't be getting that Beth drunk' date=' bet she's a right mucky sort. ;)[/quote'] Beth wasn't there last night:sad Having said that there were three other girls there & I think you must have to be a bit of a babe to work for O'Meara. Anyway having decided to go across the M62 & getting caught up in the rubberneckers goggling at the Eddie Stobart truck stuck in the field in the middle of the two carriageways where the central reservation goes really wide up near Saddleworth I then get caught up in a similar situation heading down the M6 where the North side is stood because of an accident & our side is slowing down for a gawp. Still I arrive at a sunny Wolverhampton in plenty of time. There are two chaps that used to be in the other racing club here as well & a few I don't know that roll up later when it's our turn in the parade ring so a bit better turn out than the last time when I was on my own. The evening gets off to a flyer as Hayley makes just about every yard on Desert strike to get the patent under way but there is a non runner & I will get a rule 4. It then gets better when Emerald Breeze lands the petrol money in the second race although I could have done without Stevie Donohoe easing up quite so much close home & the half length at the end could have been at least two. I've no financial interest in race three but Waving is going for six on the spin & as they turn into the straight he looks to be cruising but Emma Sayer on the long time leader Bright Abbey has saved a bit in front & kicks again to win. It's a good ride from the front actually but apart from the horses connections there are not too many happy folk around because the winner is the outsider of the six runners. Inside to watch Catwilldo wander around under pressure a bit & get caught in the last 50 yards over at Dundalk but that was at least a run for the money which can't be said for the disappointing Moves Like Jagger who does a fairly good impression of a 70yo but unfortunately not one as fit as the Rolling Stones frontman. I've no money riding on the next at Wolves but it's an interesting race with the ex Godolphin Future Security who's now trained in der Fatherland & who won a £42k race on the snow at St Moritz a couple of weeks back going off the jolly. He gets held up well off the pace & then runs into all sorts of traffic problems off the final bend when looking like he needed to sprout wings anyway & I don't think too many were right happy with Joey Haynes. We've been joined by Jason who's now running this new club & the yard have a runner in the race which comes 4th, the winner is Villa Royale & Jason is looking rather rueful because up until last week David O'Meara had trained her & this was her first start for Michael Appleby & they were not worried by her in the race. It's a funny old game this kid & it's about to get funnier. The other tip over at Dundalk hoses in at 5/6 & now it's our turn. Out comes Phiosofy who's quite a big girl & she looks well enough followed by Danny Tudhope who's surprisingly chatty this evening & it seems we will drop in & see what happens. What happens is she hates the surface & she doesn't really have the speed to hold a position & she's struggling round the final turn & Danny lets her coast home. A real damp squib then & I'm thinking this is not my track because I've been here a few times & not even made the frame. Having been backed just after I'd taken the 7/2 in the morning she's also drifted right out to 6/1, Jason is mystified because it's not a betting stable & then says "This next one will probably get backed now" This next one is Helmsley Flyer in the last who's the least fancied of the two & who curled up tamely over 2f's further here LTO. Back to the parade ring & out they come, he's a bit of size about him too & looks well enough. When we go round to the front he's showing 6's but near the off he comes in to 4/1, spooky or what? Off they go & it's like a replay of three weeks ago & he's cruising round the last bend, what's he going to find? Plenty, Danny gives him the go & he takes off, just for a second the one I'd had a sneaky feeling for Sian Gwalia looks like she might challenge but Helmsley really is a flyer tonight & leaves her trailing behind as he goes clear in the final furlong to some serious shouting from the lot of us. Down into the winners where Danny tells us he was always going well, off he goes to weigh in & off we go for a glass of shampoo. Like I said "Funny game this" One second the chin is on the floor & the next your on cloud 9. Goodnight's all round & back off up the now free moving M6 & even the M62 which is down to just the hard shoulder at one point for some work proves no problem & I'm back home in record time to enjoy a few sherbets, lovely. Desert Strike returned 9.2pts after the rule 4. 50pts back from Emerald Breeze & 17pts back from Helmsley Flyer. 76.2pts returned from 37pts staked. Singles etc W/R 2-4 Stakes 57pts Returns 67pts Profit/Loss +10pts Multiple bets Stakes 67.5pts Returns 68.2pts Profit/Loss +.7pts Expenses £440 Desert Strike follows Thorpe Bay back in, Hayley is off to rob a bank straight after. DesertStrike_zps7851b299.jpg Emerald Breeze in the winners EmeraldBreeze_zps9d823727.jpg Stevie Donohoe unsaddling Emerald Breeze EmeraldBreeze2_zpsac5ca174.jpg Helmsley Flyer, a pleased looking Danny Tudhope & the rather attractive looking Kirsty HelmsleyFlyer_zps1e3f0a5b.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary So here we go again, it soon rolls round doesn't it. Before I get to the festival there are two of the racing club horses declared for tomorrow, Dansilli Dutch runs in a claimer at Southwell over a mile at 4.25. It looks like she's better at Wolves but then again it also looks more a case of if she's in the mood, having taken a couple of runs to find her feet after the switch to David O'Meara she then won twice & ran a good 2nd before chucking in a shocker over tomorrows C&D & followed that up with another blow out back at Wolverhampton. She then bounced back to winning form there a month ago before the unfortunate run when I was at Wolves about three & a half weeks ago & then she ran stone last there again when I was down at Kempton with Mowgli. It's hard to know what to think really, I know it's running slower than normal at Wolves but it's still nothing like as slow as Southwell & I don't think that suits her but looking at the race apart from Dandarrell there wouldn't be a lot to be scared of among this bunch. If this were a handicap we'd be giving that one a pound & we're getting 3lb here plus another 3lb for Sam James claim. Ewell Place would have to give us a pound but with the claim off we're getting 2lb & that ones two wins have come on turf with not even a place from nine goes on Various all weather runs. She ought to at least go close but I'm far from confident, the only prices are on Betfair where she's around 7 with an over round close to 120% I think I'll sleep on it. I'm almost as mystified by the other runner. Helmsley Flyer goes in the 6.45 at Wolverhampton under a 6lb penalty & what I don't get is it's at two miles & half a furlong & before the win back at 12f's on Friday the thought for the blow out the time before was he didn't get home at 1m 6f. Now I know that a fairly hefty rise is expected for the win & that's the reason for the run it seems but I don't see what you've gained if he falls in a heap again up the straight. It's not like it's a really weak race either. Blazing Desert was in front of us in that race at 1m 6f, only just going down a neck & is better off at the weights. Well Owd Mon tries 2m's+ having failed by a head here LTO at 12f's & Mark Johnston runs Sir Frank Morgan who beat just one home in three runs as a 2yo, the last of those being October 31st 2012 & the horse is now owned by Mark Johnston racing, whys he still persevering with this one? We are 2/1f with Bet365 who are the only one with odds & I wouldn't touch us with a bargepole at that price. Having said that I didn't fancy him on Friday & he hosed up, I'll be interested to see what he goes up when the new ratings come out on Wednesday, I would have thought 6 or 7lbs myself. Anyway I'm going to neither, stay at home & watch the festival. I've decided to play this evening for a more relaxed morning. Much is being made & quite rightly about the possible effect of most of the form leading up to the festival being on heavy ground & here we are on good to soft & it's drying out all the time. Less is being made about the effect of switching from the small field, lob around at no pace affairs we've had for the past few months to the off like the very devil is after them pace we're likely to see especially in the first race. Gilgamboa would be an exception having won a valuable 24 runner Leopardstown Handicap Hurdle at the end of January & he might go well at a price. Vautour's not going to get the soft lead in front that he got when beating the Tullow Tank also at Leopardstown LTO. While Irving is undoubtedly smart he won't get away with clouting two out here at pace like he did at Kempton & he scared me half to death the way he guessed at the last there. While he would need to find a bit on the bare form I quite like Vaniteux for this. He disposed of Vibrato Valtat at Sandown on his hurdle debut in December in decent style & that one ran a good race in Saturdays Imperial Cup. Then he made a pigs ear of the last at Kempton on Boxing day when still in with a chance. It was the run at Doncaster LTO that took my eye, ok it was a nothing novice hurdle but he sauntered away from them with the runner up Portway Flyer who's no mug 12l's behind him. at 12/1 he has to be worth a bet & paddy Power are refunding stakes if you come 2nd, 3rd or 4th. I have four in an ew lucky 15 & prices allowing I will be backing them all as singles over the meeting. The first one is in the Arkle & here's the reasoning from the earlier post...

The first pick comes in the Arkle where I think Champagne Fever needs taking on. I don't think that he's had enough experience over fences to warrant being as short as he is & he's not been seen since a distant 3rd at Leopardstown on Boxing Day. The pick of the Irish form now seems to be Trifolium's who was 2nd to Defy Logic in that race & then won their Arkle back at that track where Defy Logic broke a blood vessel & he misses the festival. Rock On Ruby is another with just two chase starts & after winning a three runner Plumpton race where he looked less than a natural he turned up for a match with Mr Mole at Doncaster when I was there & jumped much better apart from a small mistake at the last to win that. It hardly gets him battle hardened for a race which is nearly always run at a fast pace & where any mistakes are hard to get away with. Dodging Bullets has won three of his four chases including over C&D & was just held by Module at Newbury last month where the heavy ground wouldn't have suited him. He should go well but I'm just favouring Valdez who I was quite impressed with on his last start in late January at Doncaster & where he jumped really well after a slight mistake at the first. At a general 9/1 he looks a fair price.
I've backed him again this evening. The next one was the Champion Hurdle which is also the first race from my list of races... Again from the earlier post...
With Annie Power now aimed at the staying championship & Un de Sceaux looking at this stage like swerving the meeting the Champion hurdle would look to be between the defending champ Hurricane Fly, The New One, Our Connor & My Tent Or Yours. This would be the strongest renewal that the Fly has contested & he probably needs a new personal best to retain his crown. After looking a bit workmanlike on his return in November he's been more like the real thing the last twice although he did make a bit of a mistake at the last in the Irish Champion LTO & had to battle a bit but he was well on top at the end. Our Conor was 2nd there & looks to have been brought along with this day in mind. He was hugely impressive in last years Triumph & a run near to that form would see him in the mix, however I'm not a fan of the tactic of it's this day or nothing & would have like to have seen him a bit more competitive in his earlier starts. Would The New One have held MTOY in the Xmas hurdle had he not fluffed the last? Myself I don't think so I still think My Tent would have won & I think he's a better horse than last year when he was just held close home in the Supreme. He was my pick at the prices so I was less than happy having placed the bet Monday evening to find out the next day that he's pricked a foot & was on the drift but Henderson is saying it shouldn't be a problem, we'll see:hope
It seems that the Ronnie Corbett soundalike is happy with him, so am I. That would conclude the singles betting however I have a small patent on three of the other four races. I'm taking a chance on Hadrian's Approach in the 2.40, the chance being his jumping which is not great but on the pick of his novice form he could well be chucked in here & he was better when last seen winning at Newbury before Xmas having departed quite early in the Hennessy there the time before. The 4m National Hunt chase for Amateurs moves from the opener on the second day to race six tomorrow & therefore off C4 & yet we still have that cross country rubbish to suffer on Wednesday, boo hiss. The front three in the betting have the best riders in Nina Carberry on Shutthefrontdoor, Katie Walsh on Foxrock & Derrick O'Connor on Shotgun Paddy & the latter is the one for me here. The ground will be the fastest he's run on yet but he should be ok & I was quite taken with the win at Warwick at 3m 5f under 11-7 in a valuable handicap LTO, he's only a 7yo so there should be more to come & the 4m's will suit. The final pick is Manyriverstocross in the last. He won a Grade 2 at Exeter on his chase debut & then was out of his depth in a Sandown Grade 1 behind Hinterland after. He ran quite well for 2nd of three to Oscar Whisky LTO again at Sandown at that level again & this ought to be more his grade here. Bets. Vaniteux 10pts @ 12/1 Paddy Power BOG, money back if 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Valdez 10pts @ 10/1 Betvictor BOG. My Tent Or Yours 20pts @ 4/1 Bet365 BOG. Hadrian's Approach 10/1 Shotgun Paddy 5/1 Manyriverstocross 10/1 1pt patent + 3 x 1pt singles = 10pts staked, Betvictor BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Having slept on it & scratched my head again several times & come up with splinters I have decided that Dansilli Dutch is too big to let go unbacked in the Southwell 4.25 at 8/1 in what is a race she should be competitive in & I've had a small punt. The thought from the website is similar in that she is well in but they are worried that she may not act on the surface having not run well here in December but they are going to let her have a go. She is in a race at Wolverhampton on Thursday but it does look a good bit stronger than today's. Helmsley Flyer is a general 9/4 for the Wolverhampton 6.45 & is easier to swerve at that price although the thought is that he was more out sprinted than out stayed in the 1m 6f race two runs back & is due to go up 8lbs for last Fridays win so he can race off 2lb lower today. They think the danger is Blazing Desert who was the one that finished in front of us in the 1m 6f race. I think the danger is we don't get home. There is a race at 1m 4f off the new rating on Monday apparently. Bet. Dansilli Dutch 5pts @ 8/1 Betvictor BOG. Looking at today everything seems to be drifting in the Supreme but I can see My Tent Or Yours going off the jolly in the Champion hurdle. With the Queen Mother field declared I've backed Captain Conan this morning & will post the reasoning along with the rest of tomorrows thoughts this evening. Bet. Captain Conan 20pts @ 5/1 Coral BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Close but no cigar would seem to sum today up. In terms of the main bets nothing let me down & I got a run for the money from them all at least although I am slightly disappointed to get beat by Jezki in the Champion. Vaniteux ran well enough for 3rd & that was enough to return the stake from the bet with Paddy Power. The winner Vautour was seriously impressive in what was a fast run affair as I expected & Irving couldn't jump well enough at the pace to hold his position. Valdez held every chance coming to two out in the Arkle but couldn't kick on up the hill, he just wasn't good enough but was better than Rock On Ruby who hasn't had enough chase experience for me & how Fehily stayed on at the third only he knows. It looked like opposing Champagne Fever was the wrong move until Western Warhorse who I'd seen win at Doncaster nutted him on the line. Hadrian's Approach was a bit of a let down in the handicap chase. The Champion Hurdle was marred by the demise of Our Conor who was put down after a shocking fall at the third. The New One was hampered in that incident & the C4 team seemed to think it cost him his chance but he'd got back in touch at the top of the hill & then for me lost his position before two out & then ran on late for 3rd. Did McCoy leave it too late on My Tent Or Yours? No I don't think so but I didn't expect to get beat by that one. Quevega lands the sixtimer, is that it for her because it's looking harder & harder? I thought Shotgun Paddy was going to get up despite clouting more fences than he jumped cleanly but just failed by a neck & the patent blew out when Manyr faded away coming down the hill in the last. Away from the festival & if I thought Dansilli Dutch was worth a little bet at 8's then I was gobsmacked when she hit 12/1 before going off at 10's. She never looked like getting involved & while Southwell is not her surface she's not the most consistent either. Helmsley Flyer ended up at 5/4 & I smell a few singed digits & they ain't mine. Coming off the final bend both Helmsley & Blazing Desert kicked for home with Helmsley hitting the front & then both of them tied up allowing Sir Frank Morgan to battle back. I'm trying to decide if Danny went too soon but even if he didn't I still think he wouldn't have got home, I'm just glad I stayed out. So the stakes on the singles were 45pts with 10pts back from the return of stake for the place in the Supreme. The patent returned nowt from the 10pts staked. Singles etc W/R 3-7 Stakes 102pts Returns 77pts Profit/Loss -25pts Multiple bets Stakes 77.5pts Returns 68.2pts Profit/Loss -9.3pts Expenses £440 So on to tomorrow. There is another club horse running at Southwell, Sheriff Of Nawton in the 7f maiden at 3.05. This is his third run so he should get a handicap mark after this. So far in his two starts he's beaten just the one home but the last of four LTO was not a bad run actually & I reckon he can win a race somewhere. Again I don't think the surface will suit, he's back down in trip from 8.5f's & I don't think that will help either, he also was held up in his work a bit last week & I'm thinking that tomorrow is not the day. I'll be bloody well miffed if it is because I'm hoping that if he can win it will be a: a working mans price & b: that I might be there. Back to the festival. I have Red Sherlock in the ew lucky 15 posted earlier & these were the thoughts then...

Faugeen is unextended in three starts since going hurdling & could be anything but Mullin's has been making noises about being less than happy with him since his last run just after Xmas which is a bit off putting for the Neptune. Vautour looks Supreme bound & Kings Palace & Captain Cutter seem destined for the Albert Bartlett with Briar Hill so I'm going for Red Sherlock who's a perfect six in bumpers & hurdles & I was impressed by him up the hill on trials day in January on really heavy ground & I'm expecting him to be better on the likely decent going.
I've had a single on him & I'm a bit miffed that he is now available at half a point longer. Corrin Wood is the first runner from the previously posted lucky 31 based on the selections of the preview panel last week in the RSA & that will do for that one. I note I missed out the price of Tanks For That for Fridays Grand Annual which was the still widely available 20/1. Needing one for the daily comp the pin in the Coral Cup has landed on Dell' Arca who was a fine 2nd in the Betfair Hurdle LTO & who was still traveling well enough in the Ladbroke the time before when he unseated when badly hampered. He's got winning course form from the Greatwood hurdle at the open meeting in November & the step up in trip should suit. At the price Sire de Grugy needs taking on in the Queen Mother. He's done nothing wrong really but I just don't think the track suits him at the top level. I think Arvika Ligeonniere is better going right handed & he pulled up in the Arkle last year. Nicholls is running Hinterland here & not the Arkle because he thinks it's a weak renewal without Sprinter Sacre but he only just beat Grandouet LTO & that one was only 6th in todays Arkle. I've never been a Somerby fan & Baily green hasn't matched the 2nd in the Arkle from last year since. If he was at his best Sizing Europe would win this pulling a bus but he seems in decline at the age of twelve. Captain Conan beat Sire de Grugy over C&D in November 2012 & Hinterland after that. He was stepped up in trip afterwards & ran well in the Jewson before winning the 2m 4f Grade 1 at Aintree. He returned in the Tingle Creek but the yard was not in top form then & he faded late into 3rd. He's been off since but is said to be working much better now & he can win this if back near his best. I'm not really a fan of the cross country race but having had a look I'll go with the C&D winner from LTO Sire Collonges who ought to be able to cope with the 6lb rise for that & who should still have more to come at the age of eight compared to a few of the old stagers in this. Dawalan looked quite useful in winning twice at Newbury either side of Xmas & was just held in a jumpers bumper at Kempton at the end of January & he's the pick for the Fred Winter. I'll leave the bumper until the morning. Bets. Red Sherlock 20pts @ 4/1 Paddy Power BOG. Captain Conan 20pts @ 5/1 Coral BOG. Dell' Arca 14/1. Sire Collonges 12/1 Dawalan 8/1 1pt patent + 3 x 1pt singles = 10pts staked, Betvictor BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary The report this morning is that Dansili Dutch didn't like the surface yesterday, especially the kickback & she found the mile a little on the sharp side, erm get away, no. Helmsley Flyer didn't stay but he also has picked up an injury, not sure yet how serious it is & a vet will have a look at him today:hope Bit of a disaster then all round. While I don't think that Sheriff of Nawton is going to win at Southwell I am surprised to see him at 33/1 & I've had a tiny ew just in case. Having mulled over the bumper this morning to sort one out for the comp I will side with the Dermot Weld runner Vigil who has Pat Smullen up, now there's a story in the making. Bets. Sheriff of Nawton 1pt ew @ 33/1. Vigil 5pts @ 8/1 Both Betvictor BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Not very happy after yesterday, this despite the fact that I seemed to have Jedi like powers at one point but I shall come back to that. The main thing for me is do I get a run for the money & on the first day I would have said yes, yesterday not so. Not so much in the first race where Red Sherlock seemed to be going as well as Faugheen at the top of the hill but then by the time they'd come down the said slope he'd curled up quicker than an out of date sandwich. Now that's fair enough & he wouldn't have beaten Faugheen who despite not being the slickest over the hurdles clearly has got some engine but what I'd like to know is what was it that Tom Scudamore found so funny when congratulating Ruby afterwards? You've just disappeared without trace on a well fancied, previously unbeaten in six starts animal & rather than be looking a bit disappointed your laughing your $%^& off! I'm all for being a sporting loser but a terse nod a la McCoy would have seemed more appropriate afterwards. Next up was the first of the preview night selects Corrin Wood who was described as a thrilling front runner. I suspect that Richard johnson standing in for the laid up Jason Maguire was less than thrilled by Corrin Wood's attempts to demolish most of the fences on his way to tailing off before the decent down that hill. Things looked like they might get better when Dell' Arca was bang there at the last in the Coral Cup but didn't have any thing left for the climb to the line. Whisper just held off Get Me Out Of Here who has now been 2nd four times at the festival & can I suggest that Tom Scu studies the reaction of AP who looked like a bulldog chewing a wasp while circling round for the inevitable result of the photo. Now comes the real kick in the nuts, Captain Conan. Looks well, well backed & goes for about two yards before Geraghty's at him. As the they turn away from the stands I use my previously unknown Jedi powers "Pull the bugger up" I mutter & Geraghty obliges by doing so, crikey this could prove useful. To be fair it seems that Captain Conan was found to be lame afterwards. Also to be fair I must, along with many others apologize to Sire de Grugy who is a worthy champ although I do think the RSPCA should pop round to the owners & have a word about dressing your dog up in an outfit that includes a stuffed toy on it's back as a jockey, the mutt looked about as I happy as I was feeling by now during the cringe making pre race piece with Alice Plonker. Now though it is time to use the force. Ryan Mahon is tanking along at the head of affairs in the cross country race on Sire Collonges accompanied by Ian Popham on Any Currency & he seems to be hard at work along with the following bunch. "Go on Ryan you've got them all at it" I mutter. Sire Collonges' legs instantly turn to jelly & he goes backwards faster than the Italian army, the soft voice of Sir Alec Guinness whispers "It only works once" bugger!! Earlier on Mick Fitz had sat with Ian Popham who's had a few injuries & informed us that the lad is still waiting for his first festival winner. Any Currency keeps finding & is still in front heading for the line, then Richard Johnson arrives on Balthazar King & Popham is still waiting for his first festival winner when he gets nutted on the line. Now I may be a sandwich short of a picnic but I'm not totally insane, the next race is not on C4 & I don't have Racing UK so it's log onto the bookies for the live stream. Just as they come in for the off Lydia Hislop informs us that Dawalan is 7/2, the only way she could have sounded more incredulous was if I'd just asked her to lie back with her ankles behind her ears & brace herself. 7/2 :eek Your having a laugh, no they're not...

Mid-division, headway 4 out, never on terms with leaders, lost place approaching 2 out opened 7/1 £7000-£1000 £5000-£700(x4) £5000-£650 £2500-£350(x4) £13000-£2000 £10000-£1300 £10000-£2000 £9000-£2000 £3600-£600 £2400-£400 £1800-£300 £5000-£750 £2800-£400
I thought that 8/1 was not that great but 7/2, the queue's for the burnt fingers at the first aid tents must have stretched for miles after the race & the concern for their fellow lemmings digits must be the reason why the stewards failed to ask any questions here. Then bugger me if they don't go & do it again. Shaneshill/Mullins/Walsh in the last...
Tracked leaders, challenged over 2f out, ridden to lead over 1f out, headed inside final furlong, kept on, no extra and held final 75 yards opened 9/2 £30000-£5000 £25000-£5000 £18000-£3000 £12000-£3000
Backed into 7/2 again, at least this one had the decency to run a race. I'm on Dermot Weld's horse & yippee Dermot Weld is the winning trainer, unfortunately it's not the well backed Vigil (5's from 8/1) it's the other one Silver Concorde at 16/1 :eyes I should point out that in the build up to the Queen Mother I totally forgot about the 3.05 at Southwell. Sheriff of Nawton broke well, showed early speed & then faded away. Just as expected then & we await the handicappers view. Nothing from 46pts on the singles or the 10pts on the patent. Singles etc W/R 3-11 Stakes 148pts Returns 77pts Profit/Loss -71pts Multiple bets Stakes 87.5pts Returns 68.2pts Profit/Loss -19.3pts Expenses £440 So to to day three. I'm hoping that Mullins/Walsh can land the opener for the third day running. The key to Felix Yonger I believe is the better ground & I am seriously hoping that the berk of the course hasn't let his hand slip whilst watering last evening. His form on the faster ground pre Xmas looks the best on offer here & it's only the soft/heavy that's stopped him the last twice for me. Oscar Whisky doesn't look a natural over fences & anyway was getting 8lb from Wonderful Charm when beating him half a length over 2m 5f here LTO & they are off levels today. On a line through Oscar Whisky Taquin du Seuil also looks held & the rest have plenty to find on what they've done so far. The second of the preview night picks is If In Doubt in the Pertemps, here's hoping it runs better than Corrin Wood :hope I need Tom Scu to be laughing for the right reasons after the Ryanair because I'm with Dynaste. I don't think he was quite at his best when 2nd to Benefficient in last years Jewson & a run up to the Betfair Chase form would probably be good enough. You need to forgive the King George run on Boxing Day but the ground was a lot softer there & he hurt his back. He will either win this well or blow out completely & I hope it's not the latter. My head says if Annie Power stays she's wins the Ladbrokes World Hurdle. My heart wants Big Bucks to win. My money stays in my pocket. I set off into this festival thinking I'd probably back a few of Alan Kings in the handicaps & have done so in the Byrne Group Plate with Bless the Wings. He's well handicapped if the first time blinkers can spark him back into life. Having not backed Indian Castle from my redundant list when he won at 14/1 LTO then I'm not playing at around half that price in the last. Instead I'll go with my old mate Cause of Causes who will like the ground & has Nina Carberry on top. Bets. Felix Yonger 20pts @ 4/1 Paddy power BOG. Dyanaste 20pts @ 4/1 Totesport BOG. The above pair with Bless the Wings 25/1 & Cause of Causes 7/1 1pt lucky 15 Skybet BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Well I'm off & running on the third day but things didn't start well & ended up with a bit of the "If only's" I have to say that Felix Yonger was a let down, especially when Oscar Whisky & Mozoltov departed at the first & Djakadam at four out, he just never looked like getting involved coming down the hill & I'm thinking at this point here we go again. Well done to the obviously suffering AP on Taquin du Seuil & even more so later with another kick in the nuts. He was also on the second of the preview picks If In Doubt & was niggling away pretty early & again this one never looked like troubling the judge. The chins well & truly on the floor by now. Enter The Laughing Cavalier Tom scu & Dynaste who came with a nice run to take it up at the last & quickly put things to bed. Finally off & running. AP gets it wrong again & is on the 3rd while Geraghty picks up the discarded winner for the second time in three days in the big one on More of That. Annie power is beaten fair & square, Big Bucks is retired & I stayed out of it thankfully. I'll ask the question again though. Am I the only one that thinks that some bright spark at Laddies thought that this race is not "the world hurdle" but was thinking if we call it the "Ladbrokesworld hurdle" as in "Waynesworld" as in "World of Sport" that the sponsor's name would have to get mentioned? They might have been better calling it the "Ladbrokesuniverse hurdle" & then the penny might have dropped, then again maybe they were thinking it was a world championship :eyes or are they just too embarrassed to mention it by now? Bless the Wings flattered briefly & then downed tools coming down the hill. The final kick in the gonads comes when Cause of Causes arrives with a wet sail at the last under Nina in the finale only to make a right mess of it & she does well to stay on. Would he have won? I think so. Did I get a run for the money? Oh yes. Shall we do it again tomorrow? Why wait. No Activial in the Triumph & I await his next appearance with baited breath. I'm not having his Newbury conquer Calipto, grounds too fast. There's three in here that I have seen with my own eyes this Winter. Royal Irish Hussar, who Ronnie Corbett... Sorry Nicky Henderson is talking down & that ought to be enough to have me lumping on. Pearl Castle who I was impressed with two runs back at Donny but not so much when winning there again LTO. And Rutherglen who's won four on the bounce if you include a jumpers bumper LTO & who I first saw at Wetherby back in November. I've had a poke at this one, he's done nothing wrong so far, is a winner on the flat & will love the faster ground. I have Cheltenian in the preview night bet & I can see why the Timeform handicapper Matt Taylor likes this one for the County Hurdle. Having hosed up in the bumper here in 2011 he then missed two years & I was at Doncaster when he turned up & just got nutted by the useful Minella Forfitness. He then got chucked in the deep end in last years Supreme & returned from another break to land a penalty kick at Uttoxeter on New Years Eve. His last run was a cracking 4th on seriously heavy ground in the Betfair hurdle & given a bit of luck in running he must go close in this on far better ground off just 3lbs higher. He's worth a single. Briar Hill will be all the rage for the Irish trying to get the Annie Power money back in the Albert Bartlett & he could be anything. However Kings Palace has a better level of form in the book & will surely run well. I went with Captain Cutter in the pre festival lucky 15 & I am not deserting him, he has a bit to find but not that much & I liked the Challow Hurdle run when last seen just before Xmas, come on Ronnie, er sorry Nicky you own me one & I don't mean a frozen dinner!!!! Triolo D'Alene is the unexposed one in the Gold Cup & won the Hennessy when last seen, he has at least a stone to find to get to Bobs Worth's level but it is not impossible. Bobs Worth let me down in big style at Haydock in the Betfair & I seriously want to get him beat. Had Silviniarco Conti not crashed out at three out in this last year it could quite well be him going for the repeat, he needed the run in the Betfair having warmed up at Wetherby the year before & showed he will stay by winning a bit of a slog for the King George. I think it's between Bobs Worth & Silviniaco & Nicholls knows this is his big chance at the meeting & he will be spot on. I like Noel Fehily & I think he would have had the Nicholls job had he not done his wrist while Ruby was off & he was subbing a few years back. I have Oscar Delta from the preview bet in the Foxhunters & Tanks For That in the Grand Annual & have no plans to add to this at the moment. I shall consult the tea leaves in the morning re the Martin Pipe. Bets. Rutherglen 10pts @ 12/1 Paddy Power BOG. Cheltenian 10pts @ 10/1 Coral BOG. Captain Cutter 10pts @ 12/1 Coral BOG. Silviniaco Conti 25pts @ 7/2 Totesport BOG. I was 1pt short on the stakes from yesterday in my last post & have amended this. The 40pts staked on singles today returned 100pts & the lucky 15 9pts from one winner. Singles etc W/R 4-13 Stakes 188pts Returns 177pts Profit/Loss -11pts Multiple bets Stakes 102.5pts Returns 77.2pts Profit/Loss -25.3pts Expenses £440 No news yet on Helmsley Flyer's injury. We have a runner at Wolverhampton on Saturday evening, I am not going but more on this later. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Martin Pipe Full Shift was quite impressive when scoring at Kempton when I was there last month & he is open to further progress having only had three hurdle starts & the defeat of Clever Cookie at level weights on the first of those is quite a smart bit of form with that one scoring three times since the last one being a Grade 2 & Clever Cookie is now rated 144 . Full Shift is up 11lb for that Kempton win but Nico de Boinville takes 3lb back off & knows how to get the job done, he should go well in a difficult race. Bet. Full Shift 15pts @ 6/1 Bet365 BOG ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Carnage in more ways than one, jockeys with broken limbs, well fancied runners on the floor or putting in a no show & the form book hung on a bit of string behind the bog door. Ruby hits the deck early & is carted off to hospital with a broken arm in the first, Paul Townend is brought down & is stood down with a sore shoulder. Daryl Jacob's stirrup leathers break & he has to ride without irons over the last two. Royal Irish Hussar is well backed & goes from running well to running on empty in two strides which seems to be a recurring theme. Rutherglen runs alright without ever looking like getting involved & I have no complaint. Cheltenian is well backed in the County & heading down the hill is bang there, he's headed round the final turn & stops so quickly that Richard Johnson pulls him up thinking he's gone wrong, thankfully he's alright. Daryl Jacob's luck seems to have turned when he gets up on Lac Fontana. His luck turns again when Port Melon crashes through the rails going to the start of the Albert Bartlett & dumps Jacob on a camera & the hard standing. The horse is alright & the cameraman & bystanders too but Jacob's is also hospital bound & he has a broken knee it seems. Briar Hill takes a horrible fall at the 7th & Kings Palace weakens quickly & is well beaten when he takes a tired fall at the last & passes the ammo to the animal rights brigade. Captain Cutter is never traveling & is yet another that pulls up with McCoy dismounting quickly. Coming down the hill in the Gold Cup & Silviniaco Conti s going well, Last Instalment has already unseated when weakening & Bobs Worth is scrubbing along. Silviniaco gets over the third last where he came down last year in style & heads for the second last in front & he's still leading at the last but they are closing & I know he's going to get swamped. He does & dives off to the right, Bobs Worth is not one of the closer's & he goes even more violently to the left. The Giant Bolster is there again but Lord Windermere who was detached for a long way hits the front with On His Own finishing best. Lord Windermere Carries On His Own to the right & just holds on by a short head. Davy Russell can't believe he's won & is honest enough to say so afterwards, never traveling. There's a stewards enquiry & Lord Windermere keeps the race, connections of On His Own are considering an appeal...

The Stewards held an enquiry under Rule (B)11.6 into possible interference on the run in. Having heard their evidence and viewed recordings of the race they found that the winner, LORD WINDERMERE (IRE), ridden by Davy Russell, had interfered with ON HIS OWN (IRE), placed second, ridden by D.J. Casey, who in turn interfered with THE GIANT BOLSTER, placed third, ridden by Tom Scudamore, and that the interference had not improved LORD WINDERMERE (IRE)’s placing. They ordered the placings to remain unaltered. The Stewards found Russell in breach of Rule (B)54.1 and guilty of careless riding in that he allowed his horse to drift right handed into the whip. They suspended him for 1 day as follows: Friday 28 March 2014.
I don't see how you can arrive at the conclusion that the interference has not improved Lord Windermere's placing given the about findings & the distance beaten? While they were at it....
They also considered the apparent improvement in form of the winner, LORD WINDERMERE (IRE) compared with its previous run at Leopardstown on 9 February 2014 where the gelding finished 6th of 7 runners, beaten 26 lengths.. They noted the trainer’s explanation that the stable had been out of form and LORD WINDERMERE (IRE) was unsuited by the slow pace at Leopardstown. They ordered the gelding to be routine tested.
In the Foxhunters they are again strung out like washing & the preview night selection Oscar Delta is soon struggling & tailed off. Full Shift is another one that's well backed, never looks like getting involved & trails home a well beaten 11th. Ditto the final preview night choice Tanks For That who comes home in his own time in 9th in the finale. Well done to anybody who managed to sort anything out from that little lot, not one favourite was placed in the first six races, the jackpot pool has knocking on for £450k carried forward to Uttoxeter today. The placepot paid the best part of £45k :eek Nothing from the singles yesterday from 70pts staked. Nothing from the preview night tips lucky 31 & the ew lucky 15 placed pre festival returned 1.07pts from Your Tent Or Mine. Singles etc W/R 4-18 Stakes 258pts Returns 177pts Profit/Loss -81pts Multiple bets Stakes 125.25pts Returns 78.27pts Profit/Loss -46.98pts Expenses £440 I'm actually not too upset by the numbers, I didn't get over involved like I've done in the past apart from yesterday where I overdid it a bit. I had bets in four of the five races from my list & found one winner so I'm happy enough with that & on reflection I think that My Tent Or Yours should have won though & listening to McCoy yesterday I think he does too. The next races on the list are at Aintree. News on Helmsley Flyer. He has a swelling in his near fore leg which is being treated with a coolant clay & cold water & this seems to be reducing the swelling. He will need at least three weeks in his box & probably a bit longer, I'm going on a stable visit next Sunday so I will be able to see how he is progressing for myself. The intended runner in the first at Wolverhampton tonight, Auntie Mildred has been taken out because she didn't eat up last night. I've not even looked at today's racing & if I have a bet today it will be on the football. I may go to Wetherby on Tuesday & if the Haydock card on Wednesday looks alright that's a possible too. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary At the moment the plan is to go to Wetherby today however I'm feeling rather less than 100% while I'm writing this & even though I have placed some bets I could yet change my mind. I'm not going to be too long winded about this & will cut to the chase. Well the maiden hurdle that opens the card actually. A big field but last night I had this down to I Got Power, Pair of Jacks, Oliver's Hill & Sunblazer. I Got Power & Pair of Jacks have the pick of some pretty rotten hurdles form in the field, in fact I've seen I Got Power's last three runs because they were all at Doncaster. On each occasion he's been held up & on the first two plodded on late in the piece for minor honours some 21 & 16 lengths behind the winner. This prompted them to go up in trip there last time & he appeared not to get home in the race that Tistory won where all the hurdles in the straight were missed out due to the low sun, he is I believe just a plodder. Pair of Jacks won a Catterick bumper in December 12 & then was well beaten in another at Aintree last October. Sent hurdling he pulled hard & led at Newcastle in late November till quite late & finished 3rd. However after another break he turned out at Market Rasen last week & pulled even harder, hung left & was tailed off just about but was kept going for a remote 4th, if he could settle he might run well but it looks doubtful. Oliver's Hill also has some beaten a long way but might do better form in Ireland but is now over here with Charlie Longsdon, with Noel Fehily riding just him & one for Longsdon in the closing bumper which is interesting. Sunblazer starts out here for Kim Bailey having run quite well & winning on the flat at 12 & 14f's, he ought to be well schooled for this & the trainer has a good record here. I was tempted just to go with Sunblazer but have backed Oliver's Hill as well. I've been let down a couple of times by Whiskey Ridge but I'm going to give him another go in the 3.50. He's won & finished 3rd on his last two starts & looks at least to be in some form where the others don't. Champagne Agent has shown nothing in three starts since coming over from Ireland & Desgrey is still a maiden after 12 starts although the two chase runs were in better class. Alpha One had the race handed to him last time when one fell at the last when a long way clear & Work Boy was a fair 4th after a long time off 16 days ago but is a 13yo. Mister Stickler hasn't shown much in two starts for Chris Grant since leaving Alan King which rather leaves Whiskey Ridge the pick by default. In the 4.20 I'm with Divers who would be chucked in here off 118 on his old form & with the useful lad on top taking off 7lb. Again it's more a case of what's he got to beat more than anything, the only one I'd really be worried about would be Kent Street who's sole win in 21 was a novice hurdle but he has run well off higher than today when placed in handicaps & he ran fairly well a couple of weeks ago when 3rd at Southwell. Summerlea won off 8lb less at Catterick LTO but all his jumps form over is at that track & up to that last run he kept finding one to beat him & I don't like trainer & the jockey even less. I'll take Kent Street with Divers here. The bets are permed for 4 x 0.5pt trixies with 5 x 4pt singles =28pts staked. Oliver's Hall 13/2 & Sunblazer 11/4 Whiskey Ridge 9/4 Divers 5/1 & Kent Street 11/2, split between Betvictor & Stan James & all BOG. Rio.?

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Made it to Wetherby yesterday but a round up later because I'm going across to Haydock today & taking advantage of the coupon in today's Racing Post for free entry. It's a good competitive card & I have a selection in the first six races & will go with a pair of patents with extra on the singles. 2.10 Harris & Carli King are both up in the weights for wins LTO & this looks a slightly better race as well. Presented is the other way & down in class, weight & distance for a fair 6th in Newcastle's Eider chase LTO & must go well. I've gone with Dancing Art though who was a head 2nd in this race two years ago off 4lb less & he's only had three starts since. The last of those was a couple of months back at Newcastle where he was a decent 2nd of four over a trip too short & on heavy ground & back on better going & at his distance he ought to go close at least. 2.40 Top Gamble won a pair of 2m novices on heavy at Ffos Las last Winter but was then well held at Cheltenham in a slightly higher grade at around today's trip in November. He then fell at the last when held at Exeter at 3m's in February & he's dropped 2lb here for those last two runs & he doesn't look that well handicapped to me. Cloud Creeper won a bit of a nothing novice at Southwell by 10l's LTO after a string of placings & the handicapper wasn't impressed because he's left him on the same mark that he had before that win for this handicap debut. Rumble of Thunder is in decent form with a win & a 2nd from his last two goes, the ground suits & the 5lb Adam Nichol takes off would have him close to his winning mark. The rest don't look up to much & at the prices it has to be Rumble of Thunder here. 3.10 Bincombe's been stuck up 9lb for a heavy ground win in a three runner Newbury handicap LTO & while he won easy enough this is a better race. I thought Clondaw Knight was a bit unlucky in the way the race panned out at Donny LTO & he should go well here. Oscatara wasn't impressive on chase debut at Donny & doesn't look chucked in here. I'll have Clondaw Knight for this. 3.40 Karazhan would need to improve on the December return from injury when 4th off the same mark for me. Discovery Bay has had two months off since a reported breathing problem LTO but doesn't look well handicapped either. Dispour's got first time blinkers having disappointed a bit when upped in class. I'll forgive Roman Flight his last run when he unseated when beaten on really heavy ground at Newbury, before that he seemed to be going the right way & the better ground today can see him back to form. 4.15 I'm not a fan of Shadows Lengthen, yes he won well enough LTO & is still probably well in but he's never been one to put your faith in for me. Noble Legend needs his last run forgiving & he might go well but he does have a big weight. Rudemeister is similar, in fact a few are, Tiptoeaway pulled up at Kempton on return from a long lay off & Real Milan also pulled up in the Grimthorpe. Real Milan though is worth another try, he ran quite the first two starts this season & is a couple of pounds less here in first time blinkers. 4.50 With Katachenko a non runner this looks down to Count Danilo, Straidnahanna, Present Lodger & Garrahalish. The latter won on heavy at Towcester but has struggled upped in class since & he would still need to find a bit more under a pen. Count Danilo also has a pen for an easy win in a four runner Fakenham egg & spoon race LTO, how good is he? Who knows? Present Lodger cost connections £200k after winning an Irish point & then ran a stinker in a Musselburgh bumper on his sole start in Dec 12 & hasn't been seen since. Is he any good? Where's he been? Straidnahanna has a fair level of form despite not winning over hurdles yet but was just held in a similar race over C&D two runs back but then got outfaced in a Newbury Grade 2 LTO & I'll go for him. Bets. Dancing Art 3/1 Clondaw Knight 3/1 Roman Flight 6/1 1pt patent + 3 x 1pt singles = 10pts staked Skybet BOG. Rumble of Thunder 6/1 Real Milan 11/2 Straidnahanna 2/1 1pt patent + 3 x 1pt singles = 10pts staked Bet365 BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A round up of the past two days. Wetherby. Things started well enough with Oliver's Hill who was always up near the lead staying on best to win by a length & a quarter at an SP of 7/1 which meant a profit on the day at the start. Sunblazer was a disappointment & having drifted he came a tailed off 10th, the well backed I Got Power was plodding on again for 3rd when he took a crashing fall at the last but horse & jockey were both quickly up. I'd not had a bet in the next where Hotgrove Boy was too short a price to back but I couldn't see what would beat him. Hotgrove Boy had made all to score at Sedgefield last week under Daragh Bourke & the pair set off to do the same here but at the first fence which is the first of four up the home straight he lost his irons. Now it's a longish straight at Wetherby but there are four fences & they come at you in pretty quick succession, a bit like the railway fences at Sandown & the lad had no chance to get his feet back in the irons so he had to take the next three without which brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Having cleared the last of them (picture below) he managed to regain the pedals on the long run to the first in the back where he was still in front. However by the time he'd reached the end of the back it was clear he was struggling & he pulled up after making another blunder at the one where all the bother had started in the first place. Have You Had Yours went on to win & there were a few long faces about with the hotpot letting down backers but by the time I'd got to the pre parade for the next it was announced that the stewards had had a word & the horse had bled from the nose. Crikey that must be a new world record & it just goes to show that it can be done if an effort is made. Watching them go round for the novice hurdle up next & McCain's Askamore Darsi was the clear pick despite sporting the never attractive first time paint rollers, the bloke next to me thought so too & said "Favourite looks well" When I asked him if he knew what price it was he replied "9/4 when I was coming round" I had thought I might have a bet at 3's so I wasn't expecting to get on but on heading round he was showing at 11/4 & when one board went 3/1 it was like the old days as I nipped in & struck a bet. I took up a position at the rail near the winning line & watched on the big screen as Native Spa was backed & Askamore Darsi went 7/2 :\ He was always up near the front but was headed by Almost Gemini at the last & I thought that was that but Henry Brooke was giving up & drove Askamore Darsi back in front on the run in to score by three parts. Two winners from two bets at Wetherby , somethings not right here! I'm watching them go round for the next at the side of the parade ring when two old boys come up behind me & one of them is on his mobile. "I'm at Thirsk races" he says. "Wetherby yer pillock" growls his mate, he sees me grinning & raises his eyebrows "No wonder we can't back a winner, we're at effing Thirsk" The two park themselves at the side of me "Jesus look at this one" says one of them. I've already seen it go round & it's a strange looking beast, body wise the front end is out proportion to the back end being much bigger & I'm thinking it looks like Spike the bulldog from Tom & Jerry, he's a rough looking so & so & I've written "Scabby Hoss" on my card but you'd need to be really hunger to tackle this one. I'm on Whiskey Ridge here & he looks the pick of them actually & wandering back to the betting ring I'm pleased to see he's backed into 7/4. Off they go & Whiskey Ridge makes most & is still in front as they clear the last with only one horse a danger to him can he hang on? No he gets run out of it close home & guess which one it is? Yep it's scabby Spike who's actually the 13yo Work Boy & while it's disappointing to get beat by that one at least I got a run out of Whiskey Ridge this time. Next up I've got Divers & Kent Street. Having checked that they both have the required amount of legs etc I make my way to the ring where Divers is on the slide out to 6/1, the same price as Kent Street. Off they go or rather they don't, they are off but nobody wants to go on & the whole field walk down to the first where they step over it, what a farce. It's not much quicker as they enter the home straight for the first time with Kent Street up the front on sufferance, as the they pass the winning post the commentator says "Kent Street gets a reminder" Gets a reminder! Jonathon England is knocking seven bells out of him, if that's a reminder I'd hate to see him get serious. Suddenly though they're actually racing as they head down the back but they no sooner jump the first here & Kent Street is on the retreat. As they swing round the long last turn Nick Slatter on Divers appears to be cruising & he eases to the front at three out but no sooner has he got there than he's treading in treacle, he comes home 3rd behind Feast of Fire, I take a picture & I head for the car. Haydock. This is one of those days where I could cheerfully give up this hobby & take up knitting or maybe stamp collecting, now there's a thought. Having got in for the cost of a Racing Post the sole result of the day is that it's Gordon Brown on the mike in the parade ring & not Thommo, later on while Browny is doing his patter one bloke says "He needs a new script" "Would you rather have Thommo"? I say "Fair point" He replies. Dancing Art sets the tone for the day by running no sort of races in the first, later on it's given out that he's bled as well, not as on the ball as yesterday but at least we know why. Now I get the kick in the nuts. I'm on Rumble of Thunder in this & he's running a good race & I get a bit of luck when the well backed Top Gamble hits the deck three out & Rumble of Thunder avoids the trouble & takes it up. Adam Nicol sets sail for home & clears the last with a decent lead, however he starts to paddle close home & one is closing on him, We need the line. We don't get it & he beaten a short head. Now that's fair enough normally but the kick in the nether regions is what's beaten him. It's Hidden Justice. This is the one I saw win pulling a bus at Ponty last April, I then backed him in the Dante meeting monsoon when he disappeared without trace & he wasn't seen again until turning up on New Years Day at Musselburgh when he was nowhere & that's the one time in his last four starts I haven't been on. The last twice he's been beaten 62l's at Doncaster & 72l's at Kempton when I was down there the other week & Mowgli said "If you don't have a bit on it'll win" After that I said no more, I'd seen him yesterday & said no thanks but what made me sit up & take notice was just before the off when the course commentator gave out the betting & said he was 8/1. What, never, he was twice that in the morning but a look at the boards confirmed it & I had that feeling of impending doom. I'd just stomped my way back round to the parade ring when the PA chappie asked if the trainer Mr John Quinn could pop in for a chat with the stewards, I can't write here what I muttered under my breath, here's the outcome...

The Stewards considered the apparent improvement in form of the winner, HIDDEN JUSTICE (IRE), ridden by Dean Pratt and trained by John Quinn, compared with its previous run at Kempton on 22 February 2014 where the gelding finished seventh beaten 72 lengths. They noted the trainer could offer no explanation for the gelding’s improved form.
Now they're not machines & I can understand that something can cause a return to form & in this case I was expecting the return to better ground excuse but they can't really use that one because if anything he prefers it softish & just to leave it at that is not good enough for me but what can you do? Carry on in not too good a mood. Clondaw Knight plodded on for a remote 3rd to the other joint favourite Bincombe in the next & Roman Flight fills the same spot in the following race. Now comes kick in the nuts part two. Real Milan is up near the lead most of the way & down the straight Henry Brooke decides to play catch me if you can. Over the last with about a length lead & on the run in he goes a good 3l's up on the chasing pack & is home for all money when 50 yards from home he starts running on the spot & then lugs right. Two come at him & on the line Shadows Lengthen pokes his head in front & beats Real Milan by a short head "Oh dear" I say or words to that effect. I watch the replay again, for me he doesn't run out of gas, he pulls himself up because he's wondering where the rest have gone & he's looking for them. It's not Henry Brooke's fault & he looks most unhappy when they come back in & I feel sorry for him & even more so when I see this later...
The Stewards held an enquiry into possible interference approaching the line. Having heard their evidence and viewed recordings of the race they found that REAL MILAN (IRE), placed second, ridden by Henry Brooke, had interfered with the winner, SHADOWS LENGTHEN, ridden by Brian Hughes. The Stewards found Brooke in breach of Rule (B)54.1 and guilty of careless riding in that he allowed his mount to drift right causing interference. They cautioned him as to his future conduct in races.
At least they didn't ban him but why not? He either caused interference or he didn't, I don't think he did & I just think the stewards wanted us to know they were on the ball which after earlier is a laugh. I'm far from chuckling now though. One dart left to throw & it's not looking good in the fixed brush when Count Danilo is tanking along at three out a couple of lengths to the good with Straidnahanna unable to close in 2nd. Count Danilo over jumps at this flight & falls & Tom Scu is having about as good a day as me, horse & jockey are up though & mine as been left clear & is 4l's to the good approaching the last where he makes a pigs ear of it nearly loses his backend & lets Garrahalish right back into it, he saunters past & hobbling badly from the third swift kick to the crown jewels I head for the exit. The 48pts posted across the two days returns 32pts from the win of Oliver's Hill which now seems an age away & to be honest it feels a lot worse than it actually is. Singles etc W/R 4-18 Stakes 258pts Returns 177pts Profit/Loss -81pts Multiple bets Stakes 173.25pts Returns 110.27pts Profit/Loss -62.98pts Expenses £464 I have a stable visit to David O'Meara's on Sunday with the next Yorkshire meetings Wetherby the following Friday & the return of the flat turf at Donny the next two days. Helmsley Flyer has had a scan which shows no tendon damage which is good news. Sheriff Of Nawton has been given a mark of 57 which is lower than expected & perhaps we can land a gamble at some point? Oliver's Hill OliversHill_zps4b27a406.jpg Hotgrove Grove Boy & Buster Gonad HotgroveBoy_zpsa771761f.jpg Have You Had Yours at the last HaveYouHadYours_zpsa736dc85.jpg Askamore Darsi's connections & Henry Brooke AskamoreDarsi_zps2094db25.jpg Feast of Fire FeastofFire_zps604fd6f4.jpg Divers in 3rd Divers_zps19a3fb6e.jpg Dancing Art DancingArt_zps98c8da14.jpg Bincombe Bincombe_zps2e99c06e.jpg Real Milan RealMilan_zps4a6c1fd3.jpg An unhappy Henry follows Shadows Lengthen in ShadowsLengthen_zpsceee72dd.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Great read Rio as always mate, hope you can find out early when Sheriff of Nawton is fancied. Put it in my alerts after its first run with 'handicap debut' as my notes, hopefully he's one your connections can run up a sequence with.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Been on a stable visit to David O'Meara's today with Mowgli which was good, I'm not going to put up a big list of horses like I've done in the past because they just get lost in the thread so I'll stick to the racing club horses & just the odd one & some pictures. First though Dansili Dutch runs in a seller at Wolverhampton tomorrow, I'm not going I have something on however I've had a look so a few thoughts. She's rated at 61 just now which means of course she can't get in a 0 to 60 handicap which would be her class level & she struggles upped to the next level. The thought is that she wouldn't be claimed or if she wins be bid for & should she not win or go close she might drop that little bit in the ratings to get her back to her class. Looking at it she has a bit to do at the weights with a few of them tomorrow, not least Camachoice who looks the pick of them on ratings & if running to form or close should take a bit of beating on a drop to selling grade for the first time. Prime Exhibit would win this by half the track on his old form but he's getting on a bit now, even so he's still competitive in this grade. Officer in Command is no mug at this level either & on the face of it she has a bit to do to get involved & I won't be investing. So to today's visit. The first horse we saw was Rose of the Moon who's not a club horse but is interesting because he's entered in the Grand National & he should get in because he's number 42 at the moment & only needs a couple to drop out to run. Apparently Jake Greenhall is going to take the ride, he's 8lb higher than when beating Real Milan by 9l's at Wetherby in January & he's had a go at the fences coming 10th of 22 in the Becher chase beaten 22l's in December. I'm thinking I might have a little bit on him but will wait until the day I think. We then saw Smarty Socks, Sheriff of Nawton, Dansili Dutch, Balducci & Philosofy who are all club horses & they were ridden round the stable yard before having a short spin round the gallops. Smarty Socks is being readied for a return at York's Dante meeting which is his favourite track. Sheriff of Nawton is going to have a short break to strengthen up a bit before trying to exploit that mark of 57. Dansili Dutch I have mentioned. Balducci has won a couple of decent handicaps in the past & has slipped a bit in the ratings now & David hopes to get him back running well again, he's new to the club & it's hoped he will be a "Saturday" horse. Philosofy is declared for a maiden at Southwell on Tuesday & I've applied for a badge, I'll post some thoughts either tomorrow evening or on Tuesday morning about her. Having watched the work we were then shown a cracking looking 4yo called Easter Sky who it is thought will also be running for the club this Summer. He is still a maiden & has come over from France where despite not winning he has some smart placed form. He's by Authorized out of a mare by Kris who was one of my favourite horses of all time & who I saw run at York as a 2yo the first time I ever went racing in October 1978. I'll be watching for this one. We also saw two 2yo's, both unnamed as yet but who also are expected to run for the club. The first was a filly by Kodiac & the other was a colt by Royal Applause, more on these when names & running plans are revealed later. We had a wander round where I saw a couple of old favourites in Dutch Rose & Toto Skyllachy who enjoyed a few polo's (sugar free) as did Helmsley Flyer who was in his box & is on the injured list. That's about it then, to the pictures. Rose of the Moon RoseoftheMoon_zpseb3e8bcd.jpg Smarty Socks & Sheriff of Nawton Smarty_zpsf1f784ef.jpg Dansili Dutch & Balducci Dansill_zpsad0b971d.jpg Smarty & Balducci on the gallops SmartyampBadduci_zpsee84c1a4.jpg Phiosofy Philosfy_zpscf19d1a3.jpg Easter Sky EasterSky_zpsae5469da.jpg Kodiac Filly KodiakFilly_zpsaac690ce.jpg Royal Applause Colt RoyalApplauseColt_zps5a2ed853.jpg Helmsley Flyer HelmsleyFlyer_zps7e10cfc7.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A run down to Southwell today where the filly Philosofy runs in the 2.50 a 1m 4f maiden with six runners. She didn't like Wolverhampton but Southwell should be more up her street because she goes on soft & this surface would be more like that, the problem would be if it's the kickback & not the surface bur who knows & we'll see. The hope is that she runs well but it looks quite a warm race of it's type, Ridgeway Storm is the favourite & has a first run for Alan King having been moved from Lady Cecil's after one run at this trip on fast ground at Newmarket where he was a staying on 4th of six beaten just under 6l's. While he probably is the pick on form he's by Hurricane Run & the club scribe seems to think he doesn't look an obvious Southwell type but I've no stats on that so I can't comment. The unraced From Frost he thinks is similar in that he's by Nayef & wouldn't look a Southwell sort on breeding either, again I have no idea on that score. The one with Southwell form is Sheila's Heart who was a clear 2nd at a furlong less in a slightly weaker looking race in January & that would be the one the Direct chap is looking at but only the winner of that race as run since with only a fair 2nd in a Wolverhampton handicap & the form looks nothing special. The other two don't look much on what they've done so far & they've both had a few goes. Philosofy is a best of 12/1 & a touch more on Betfair, I don't see her winning but I think she could get 3rd but with six runners I don't see a bet unless I have a pop at the Tote swinger on track which is a bet I've never had a go at, I'd probably go with From Frost if I do, we'll see. Looking at the rest of the card I've gone with a patent plus singles. 2.10 Looking at this last night I had it down to Hail Promenader & Xclusive. The latter's sole win was here January in a C&D maiden but then he was well beaten off 6lb lower than today also over C&D but did get hampered, the last three starts have all been at Kempton & on the last two he wasn't disgraced but he doesn't look that well handicapped to me. Hail Promenader hasn't won since May 12 but was a fair 2nd here in a claimer LTO which looked a slightly better race & looks to be on a good mark off 60, that was enough to make me go for him. Auden won a seller over 3f's further in December but has been poor since & I'm trying to see why the money has come for this one this morning? 3.25 The Direct lad has tipped Imaginary Deva for this & she has won a race here but that was has a 2yo in 08, she's been running alright since a win at Yarmouth on fast ground off 5lb lower in August but she's right on the limit rating wise & while she has won on soft once there's a heck of a lot of fast ground form in her profile. I've gone with Dancing Freddy who's on a long losing run but was only beaten a head off a pound less here last week & who's chucked in on some of his form, he's not getting any younger but then none of them are because they're all 7yo's or older in this. 4.35 This one I have between Carlanda & Arr' Kid. Carlanda's been runner up to Kingscombe the last twice here & is up 2lb for that, she had a first time hood on for the last run which didn't seem to help much & she looks a bit one paced. Arr' Kid got stuck up 11lb for bolting up here over 2f's further in February & then ran alright at Wolverhampton. The handicapper's very kindly dropped him a pound for that but I think back on this track he can get his head back in front today. I've taken three of the tips from the website at Chepstow & Fontwell for a second bet today. Bets. Hail Promenader 5/2 Dancing Freddy 6/4 Arr' Kid 7/2 Fayette County 5/4 Chepstow 2.00 Blue Heron 5/2 Chepstow 2.30 Exitas 4/1 Fontwell 5.25 Two 1pt Patents + 3 x 1pt singles = 20pts staked. First one Bet364 other Corals both BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Crikey what an afternoon that was, or should I say very nearly was. After the first hour I was wishing I could bottle it & take it home, I was also wishing that I'd got a set of spanners with me but then I'm getting ahead of myself. Having arrived in good time I had a cup of coffee & a sit down on one of the very nice leather sofas in the Owners & Trainers bar & then wandered through into the premier enclosure to watch the 2.00 from Chepstow whilst leaning on on of those crush barriers that they used to have on the football stands before all seater stadiums arrived. Not that there was going to be much call for crush protection with the rather sparse crowd. It looked like Fayette County was just going to get held until he did the decent thing & stuck his head in front right on the line & the SP was a bit longer than I'd taken. Off & running then & having nipped round the back of the stands to check that Hail Promenader had the required amount of legs it was back to my new "lucky spot" on the stand. He took it up about a furlong out & went on to score by a couple of lengths easing down with the added bonus of another half a point from the SP. After nipping round to snap the winner coming back in it was time to head back round for the next at Chepstow & take up my spot again. Blue Heron set off in front which was a good job because there was total carnage at the first where one fell & brought down three others. Blue Heron made every yard & skipped away from the rest before three out, I'd no need to worry about the last either because they were waved round it but it looked like it was because the flight was damaged & not because of a horse or jockey on the floor from the earlier incident. Now it's my turn & I'm off to the parade ring. There's only me there & Kirsty is leading Phiosofy round so I'm on my own until Danny Tudhope arrives. We know it's a bit of fact finding mission again but I'm gobsmacked when he asks me what I want him to do! Never had that before. We decide between us to race pretty handy & off he goes. There's a few here with Ridgeway Storm who looks well but so does From Frost, seeing as it looks like we're not expecting much I'm thinking it's between these two but I stop at the Tote & have the bare minimum on a swinger with Phiosofy & From Frost. As I go through to the front I can see that Ridgeway Storm is odds on but From Frost is 7/2, that's too big & I strike a bet before heading off to my crush barrier & woe betide anybody pinching my spot, there's nobody there though & I settle down to watch the race. They're quite tightly grouped passing the post for the first time with Phiosofy & From Frost just behind the pace, leaving the back & Philosofy starts to struggle to keep up as the pace picks up & she soon gets left behind. From Frost though takes it up 3f's out & is soon clear & scores by 6l's. Down to have a word with Danny & he says she needs much further & a go on the grass, fair enough. I need a set of spanners because I've just had four winners in not quite an hour & I want to take that crush barrier home. Unfortunately the lucky spot doesn't work for the next where Dancing Freddy runs a good 2nd but can't reel in the all the way winner Spick 'n Span. I stay there & watch the odds on Mark Johnston Tarrafal come last of four in the next, the stewards are not amused..

The Stewards considered the running of TARRAFAL (IRE), ridden by Joe Fanning and trained by Mark Johnston, which finished fourth of four. They noted the trainer’s representative could offer no explanation for the colt’s performance. They ordered TARRAFAL (IRE) to be routine tested.
Next up it's Arr' Kid & having counted his legs I'm thinking I might have a bit more on if I can get 3/1 but he's only 2's when I arrive at the boards & he soon goes 6/4 :eek He makes every yard & has them all strung out like washing leaving the back, he walks the last 75 yards & still wins by 12l's & God knows what fate the handicapper has in store. Having taken a snap in the winners I head for home where I watch the last two races & one of which contains another Johnston hot pot Sir Frank Morgan who's on a hat trick & comes last of five, cue the broken record....
The Stewards considered the running of SIR FRANK MORGAN (IRE), ridden by Joe Fanning and trained by Mark Johnston, which finished unplaced. They noted the trainer’s representative could offer no explanation for the gelding’s performance. They ordered SIR FRANK MORGAN (IRE) to be routine tested.
Alumina finally got a return for the odds on backers in the last. I needed Exitas to win the bumper at Fontwell to land the tipped patent but he went from cruising at 3f's out to going up & down on the spot in two strides. I know what it was, I wasn't leaning on "My" crush barrier & next time I go to Southwell my toolbox goes with me :p Still five winners on the day & the posted bets returned 57.13pts for 20pts staked. Singles etc W/R 4-18 Stakes 258pts Returns 177pts Profit/Loss -81pts Multiple bets Stakes 193.25pts Returns 167.40pts Profit/Loss -25.85pts Expenses £480 Next up would probably be Wetherby on Friday, if not the the Lincoln meeting at Donny. Hail Promenader in the winners HailPromenader_zps54e14440.jpg Philosofy Philosofy_zpsdd7fb671.jpg From Frost crossing the line FromFrost_zpsd73e63a3.jpg Arr' Kid doing likewise ArrKid_zps98134e8e.jpg Arr' Kid in the winners ArrKid2_zps8dd48276.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A busy weekend beckons with a run out to Wetherby today, I'm certain for Doncaster tomorrow & will probably roll up there again on Sunday so it's highly likely to be a big round up afterwards. First thing to note is that having had 10mms of overnight rain it's now good to soft, soft in places & there are light showers forecast for the rest of the day. 2.20 This would seem to revolve around the bottom one Flute Bowl & the top two Masquerade & Nesterenko. While Flute Bowl is getting weight off them all she is carrying a penalty, she's supposed to have 10-7 on but gets the 7lb sex allowance but she's got the 6lb pen for winning on her hurdle debut at Taunton LTO, Joshua Moore takes 3lb of that back off though, simples!!! That Taunton race rather fell apart when the front two in the market ran shockers & while Flute Bowl should run well here I'm looking elsewhere. Masquerade won on his hurdle debut at Bangor & then ran reasonable races upped in trip at Sedgefield & Kempton afterwards & after jumping left at Kempton LTO should go better back left handed & down in trip here. Nesterenko sets the standard on the fairly impressive Doncaster win between Xmas & the new year, he was then a bit disappointing back there a couple of weeks later & was last seen at the Cheltenham trials meeting at the end of January running a fair 4th on shocking ground to the festival winner Lac Fontana. He's back in novice company here & despite the rain the ground will be more to his liking, he has a 6lb pen but Nico de Boinville takes half of that back off. I'll go with Nesterenko. 2.50 There's one those in here that looks chucked in in the shape of Indian Voyage who's off a 103 & is due to go up 9lb having finished a good 2nd at Carlisle 12 days ago in a better class race than today's. Whether he's that well in I'm not sure but he does look progressive & is only a 6yo & the trip shouldn't be a problem. The one to beat looks to be another improving sort Tiny Dancer who's won two of his three chase starts but his jumping is just a bit iffy & that's enough to sway me towards Indian Voyage. 3.20 I looked at the this race last evening until I was nearly cross-eyed & again this morning & I'm still no nearer to a selection, there's 15 runners & if you gave me half a dozen picks I'm still not sure I'd find the winner, a watching brief here. 3.55 Spike from Tom & Jerry, better known as the 13yo Work Boy tries to add to last weeks course win under a 7lb pen & having won both his chase starts here he ought to go well but surely there's something in here to beat him. Be My Deputy would have a chance on the run here two starts back when a good 2nd but he's got stuck in the Newcastle mud since. The interesting one is Jonjo's Foundation Man who's had a break since a good 3rd in a better race at Sandown in December & now goes up a bit in trip in a first time visor & I'll have a go with this one. 4.30 When I was looking at this race last evening I kept getting drawn back to Rock a Doodle Doo who I saw run a fine 2nd in a maiden hurdle to Oliver's Hill last week. He's not won over hurdles yet but has run well at Wetherby a couple of times & is back in a handicap off 110 which looks a fair enough mark. I wouldn't want it getting too testing but if it hasn't then he ought to go well in this at a reasonable price from last night. Watt Broderick won at Stratford in a conditionals event last weekend & then tried to follow up without a pen at Taunton two days later but couldn't & he has another go here before he gets stuck up 15lb from tomorrow & I think the handicapper has over reacted to the win. I'll probably stay & watch the Hunter Chase at 5.05 which would seem to be between Rosie du Berlais & Spotthestripe but I'm not betting in this. Bets. Nesterenko 11/8 Indian Voyage 15/8 Foundation Man 2/1 1pt patent + 3 x 1pt singles = 10pts staked Paddy Power BOG. Rock a Doodle Doo 15pts @ 6/1 Corals BOG. Rio.