** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Rio's Racing Diary

Re: Rio's Racing Diary What a mixed bag that three days were & not just for me but Mowgli too. I've said before that Wetherby is always cold well on Friday it was also windy, in fact I was a bit surprised it wasn't called off, I've never been on a racecourse where it was blowing that hard but the good news was that apart from a couple of brief flurries the rain stayed away. That would have put the tin hat on it for me because punting wise it wasn't a good day for me, Mowgli did much better although he was none too happy after the first. I'd had a last look before setting off so I knew that Flementime had been taken out of the first & this had Run Ructions Run now the new jolly at around 4/5. Mowgli was thinking of taking her on with Gold Show but was put off by her playing up a bit in the parade ring & giving the lass leading her round a hard time, what finally did it was them mounting her after they'd left the ring & then he decided he'd have a bit each way on Poncho if the price was right so we wandered through to the betting ring where the price was 12 & 14/1, then I spot a couple of boards going 40's & others 33/1. It turned out that the bookies going the long odds were win only,he had a little bet at 40/1. I'd fired up Betfair on my phone & Poncho was 55 to win & 4.6 to place which meant you'd got two markets in effect, one for the win only & one for the ew which I think is wrong. Anyway Poncho runs a good race & is 2nd to Run Ructions Run which leaves Mowgli with a bit of a long face, the SP was 16/1 & at a fifth the odds your getting 16/5 which for something that's 40/1 to win is not right to me. After the race we discussed what you could have done, I suppose the forecast might have been the way but you'd have to reverse it & is it worth the risk that you are now on two runners that have to be 1st or 2nd, the exacta paid £19.90 & the CSF £16.62. You could split the stake & have a third on the win at the long odds & two thirds on the place on Betfair, if you have that facility or you could do the place part on the Tote but you don't know what your going to return (£3.80 so less than the ew on the SP) The swinger paid £6.10 but with that you need to have both in the first three so there's a little leeway. There's no real answer but it just feels wrong somehow. In the race Gold Show was brought down at the third flight, the jocks were slow up but seemed alright in the end & both horses looked fine. The recurring theme across the three days seemed to be the number of fancied runners that drifted & then made no show. The first one to do so was Retrieve who I thought looked fine in the ring but was 5/2 on the off & there was some 11/4 on offer, this is a big shift from 6/4 & in the end Secrete Stream went off the 9/4 f. Mowgli had backed him & I decided I'd better have a bit on seeing as he was on my list which was the only thing that went right for me all day. Retrieve was beaten a long way out & Secrete Stream dotted up by 11l's. Down at Kempton Stephen Hero was no match for Vicenzo Mio but plugged on for 2nd, he will win but needs faster ground. Back to Wetherby & Many Clouds won the novice chase in good style. Royal Skies is up next & goes off at 10/11, Mowgli backs Handiwork. At the third last Denis O'Regan kicks clear but this is a long way from home. At two out he's still got a good lead but Handiwork is closing, he needs a good jump at the last but O'Regan slows him into it & he walks over it allowing Handiwork to join him & then Handiwork bumps Royal Skies, which doesn't help but now all momentum is gone. There's only a length in it at the line & he should have won that for me, Mowgli's happy, I'm not, It's given out later that the stewards had decided that the coming together hadn't affected the result, probably not but I'm still not happy. Mowgli decides to join me in backing Majala in the feature chase but is reading his Racing Post when he makes a right horlicks of the first & does well to stay on his feet. He looks to have gone off that long bloody last bend but rallies a bit before taking a crashing fall three out, Pepite Rose skips away & wins easily. I can't complain about the run of Definite Lady in the next & she's a good 2nd but Scudamore is bumping away off that bend again & she does box on quite well. Having changed his mind more times than Mavis Riley Mowgli manages to back the winner, make the most of it kid it's about to change. I'm actually quite bullish about Delightfully in the last but she never gets into the race & plods on for 5th. The one Mowgli backs is pulled up & we head off to the car, at least we didn't get wet & tomorrow is another day. 25pts returns nothing. Catterick Not as windy & they're handing out free William Hill diaries on the way in so at least I'll be taking some thing home. It's quite nice for ten minutes, then suddenly it's two overcoats colder. I decide to back Fair Loch in the first & he runs a fair race to come 2nd. Mowgli backs Rainbow Peak but he's struggling from a long way out & comes home 4th about 20l's behind the winner Yorkist. With Retrieve & Royal Skies from yesterday & now Rainbow Peak taking on Ferguson's Aalim looks to be the thing to do in the next. Martin Chuzzlewit is brought in from across the road but doesn't get in the main parade ring & is taken back out of the gate in the pre parade that leads to the stables across the road & is not going to run, can't back him then. I'm taken with Zip Wire who looks a picture & decide to back him, so does Mowgli. Off they go & he's none too clever over the first three hurdles but is in touch as they sweep past the winning post with a circuit to go. Down the back & suddenly he's losing ground & Maguire doesn't seem too bothered. Then suddenly he's rowing away at the end of the back straight & runs round the three in front of him to just about take it up "He's given it too much to do" says Mystic Mowgli but he's got a chance until he takes the second last at ninety degrees & he's going nowhere in a matter of strides. Of course O'Regan's pulling double on Aalim & he saunters clear up the run in to score by 6l's. I have to say that he didn't impress me with his jumping really & he's probably beat nothing either. We're both rather unhappy with the ride given to Zip Wire, nuff said. Mowgli goes for Milan Royle in the first of the chases but he's struggling from a long way out. I'm on River Purple & he's going so well that it prompts Mystic Mowgli to say "Yours is going to win" He still seems to be going well enough when he looks to falter at three out & Brian Harding nearly goes over the horses head, somehow they get to the other side but all chance is gone. Pistol Basc seems to be going to win easily now but Moonlight Maggie is flying after the last but fails by a head. Racing UK show the third last incident a couple of times on the big screen & it's still not clear if River Purple tried to refuse or got in too close or what. We go inside & watch Zaidpour win the Grade 1 hurdle at Leopardstown despite looking like wasn't going to before the last. Big Water is a poor 3rd in the 2.25 at Catterick, I can't remeber what Mowgli backed but it wasn't the winner. Back inside again for the Welsh National. Vintage Star runs well until he folds up at two out. Tidal Bay is held up at the back & gets the folk in the bar shouting as he comes through to hold every chance at the last but he can't quite get to the front two & goes down by a head & half a length. Well Refreshed was keeping Tidal Bay company at the back but he pulls up, I think Chepstow should try to sue Well Refreshed & his connections for malicious damage because he tried to destroy just about every fence on the track. The Lexus is up next & Mowgli backs two, Lord Windermere & Rubi Ball. The former never looked like getting into it but Rubi Ball makes the running & looks like he might win until First Lieutenant sees him off after the last, hang on though here comes Bobs Worth, he can't win this after the way he ran at Haydock a month ago can he? Of course he can, I backed him at Haydock but not here, figures. By now I've decided that I might as well pin the racing page to the dart board & chuck some arra's at it, I'd probably get nearer to a win, the way it's going though I'd probably get a bounce out off the wire & cop a dart between the eyes. The next at Catterick sets off before the Lexus finishes, Twice Lucky looks like he's going to win but curls up & lets the Panama Kid have it instead, Mowgli's backed Allanard but he's remote 3rd & at least I didn't get involved. We stay for the last where I'm on Pudsey House with Long John Dawson up. Mowgli goes for Alf the Audacious who's one of those Sue Smith runners that been showing nothing at 2m's & then suddenly gets stuck in a handicap & banged up to the best part of 3m 2f's & wins, bit like Sir Mark prescott does on the flat. Well that's the cunning plan Baldrick except he makes a pigs ear of the last in the straight with a full circuit to go &ends up tailed off. Meanwhile Long John's got Pudsey in front & coming down the hill he's looking good, lets have no predictions please. Two to go & he's clear, hold your breath & he's over two out, same again please, he pops the last & wins pulling up with Long John patting him down the neck, 19l's:eek "$%&£ me I've backed a winner" somebody say, oh that'll be me:p He goes off at 3/1, it's double that from the two lucky 15's so they get me 7pts back & the patent pays 8pts for 2pts at 3/1. 15pts back from 25pts staked, it's a loss but at least it's something. Mowgli's off to watch Bradford tomorrow so no Donny for him, after the day he's had I'm not sure if he's pleased about that or not because the Bantam's aren't exactly pulling up any trees at the moment either. Doncaster. Best day of the three for the weather, blue sky & a glaring sun, still nippy though. Having had a look I decide to play the place market on Betfair & back Maypole Lass, she needs to be in the first three then, she's 4th:eyes Granted it could have been worse, I could have been a win backer or one of the connections of Haatefina who was well clear at the last & they must have been thinking they were home for all money until she blundered so badly that even though she didn't capsize she was just about walking on the other side. The jockey got her going again & here comes the line but not soon enough & Red Four nuts her close home. Mwaleshi drifts, touches 8's before going off at 7/1, no idea how he would have fared because he unseats Johnathan England at the fourth fence. Next Sensation jumps well & dots up by 6l's pulling up & is clearly useful. Don't Be Late also drifts, he goes off at 9/1 having opened at 12's & he was as long as 16 on Betfair, sure enough he's never seen & the South Yorkshire Police are still out looking for him, I was on at 13/2. Cowards Close goes off at 3/1f & is a place behind Don't Be Late in the end, at least he was involved early, watch him win NTO!!!! Mister Dillon wins the race for Henderson & he lands a quick double when Oscar Hoof wins the novice hurdle, 4.5l's is the margin but he made hard work of it until late on & I wouldn't take anything from the race. It's looking like one of those days again but Mart Lane comes to the rescue, he takes it up early on the last circuit & he's got them all at it up the straight, Real Milan tries to chase him but folds up after the last & is run out of the places. Seven lengths at the line & still two to run, maybe it can still be a winning day. No, Figaro tries his best but is headed at the last by Nesterenko who quickly clears away on the run in to win by 9l's, again Figaro drifted to 4/1 but this was right before the off. At this point I'm thinking "Do I bail out" because there was a fair size crowd & I'm worried about getting away. I decide to go which turns out to be for the best because Tara Muck opens at 7/2, drifts to 5/1 & is another one on the South Yorkshire Constabulary missing horseflesh list. 2.6pts back from 12.4pts staked. I had toyed with the idea of going to Haydock today but frankly I'm just a tad fed up & the weather forecast was not too clever. There's Catterick on New Years day but I think I need a break, it's a blank Saturday this week for me so the next trip out looks like Doncaster again on the 8th of January so I would think I'll be quiet until then. Once again a Happy New Year to all. Stakes 7709.4pts Returns 6007.43pts P/L -1701.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1530 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 388.05pts Returns 229.35pts P/L -158.7pts Run Ructions Run y2tu.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Secrete Stream e44l.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Many Clouds dbiy.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Handiwork rvot.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Pepite Rose nz77.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Yorkist 5g6p.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Zip Wire unod.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Aalim t4uw.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Pistol Basc gf87.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Maypole Lass m4wv.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Red Four 0mmf.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Mwaleshi amhs.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Don't Be Late j78n.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Cowards Close 9krs.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Oscar Hoof nl0x.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Mart lane 3c1k.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A bit of a quiet spell for me which I'm 99.9% certain will come to an end with a trip to Doncaster tomorrow. At least it's given me some time for a bit of a think & a reflection on the way forward. There's no doubt that after resetting the bank in late February with a decent profit stashed away that the following ten months or so have been very disappointing from a punting perspective. There's a hefty minus number in the Profit/Loss column for my main betting & I've taken the lull in proceedings to gather my thoughts as to why. I was quite pleased with where I was when I reset the bank, it had been my first full year going racing on a regular basis through 2012 & into last year & with the rotten Summer that year causing the ground conditions to vary wildly I was quite pleased to come out on the right side. I can't really complain about the weather last Summer, once we'd got going with the warmer stuff in late May it remained reasonably settled which usually means the form is more settled too but I seemed to be fighting a losing battle right the way through from Cheltenham, into the flat season despite winning a few small skirmishes. Having looked back through my record of bets I now believe that the problem lies with me straying from my well trodden path. Having made a breakthrough punting wise as long ago as the late 1980's for year after year my betting patterns followed a very similar route, things have changed because as I believe I have said before peoples circumstances change. In my case through those years my visits to the race track, for a number of reasons which I shall not go into were infrequent to say the least, probably less than half a dozen times a year & mainly to York. Having started out in the mid 70's mixing flat & jumps pretty much evenly by the time I'd arrived in the 90's I was almost exclusively betting on turf flat racing. As the flat wound up I used to slip into virtual hibernation as the jumps kicked in, briefly poking my nose out at Xmas & then back to sleep again until Cheltenham, I'm not a fan of the all weather although I don't mind going. The jumps season is skewed to Cheltenham, perhaps not as much as it was & with Aintree now emerging as a proper festival in it's own right it has helped a little but basically the whole thing still revolves around what's now four days in mid March. Most of the racing that leads up to it is based on Saturdays & a great deal of the more valuable contests are handicaps, there are small pockets of Grade 1 conditions events but these usually attract small fields because the main protagonists dance round each other, avoiding clashes until the festival. The jumps season doesn't seem to have the flow that the flat does, the various trails leading down several paths, the classic trail, Sprinters, middle distance & staying paths that lead to the generations coming together. There's more mid week quality racing, it doesn't have that stop start feel that the jumps have which can feel even worse if the bad weather arrives. By the end of the last decade I'd started to get more free time within the constrictions of the shifts I was working & had started to go racing more with the racing club that had me wandering as far North as Ayr, Hamilton, Kelso & Musselburgh & as far South as Plumpton, Folkestone & a hell of a lot of places in between. I had a good time while it lasted & it spawned this thread but with the club now defunct & me now effectively retired I don't go as far & wide but I do get out more. The problem with that seems to be that where I actually go is not on the same path that I used to bet on. For the last two years I've been mainly confined to Yorkshire, nothing wrong with that except from a punting point of view it's different ball game, aside from York & the St Leger meeting at Doncaster what I'm dining out on is a diet of pretty ordinary fare, having said that it can be competitive stuff & I have to hold my hand up & say I can't bet on it the way I do on the better grade racing & make it pay. Therefore I need a change of plan. I've gone back through the records of the last two years & compared my efforts in the races I used to deal with on a regular basis & I find I'm still cutting the mustard in these events. I made note during last season that I seemed to be backing winners when I was at the track but at other meetings. The ultimate example being stood on the rail at Catterick watching Talent win the Oaks at Epsom & then doing exactly the same the following day at Doncaster while Ruler of the World was landing the Derby & been unable to get on the scoreboard at either of the meetings I attended. I suppose the obvious thing would be to stop going to these meetings but while the punting leaves much to be desired I still enjoy myself so I aim to carry on. I have therefore drawn up my plans. I now have a list of just shy of a hundred races which will provide the main betting action, it's not the be all and end all, because it's on the list doesn't mean I will be backing in it, neither does it mean that I won't have a tilt at a race that's not on the list should something take my fancy. What it does give me is a structure to work within, the bulk of which is on the flat, indeed there are only a dozen jumps races on the list, five at Cheltenham, four at Aintree, two at Kempton at Xmas & the Betfair chase at Haydock & that's a lot of time in between those. The rest of the time I intend to stick to small multiples, a bit of two or even three way betting within multiples & some place only stuff when I attend the track. I've just ordered another Go Racing in Yorkshire season ticket, the current one runs till the end of February & with the bit extra I had to pay for the Ebor meeting & St Leger day the cost was a couple of quid short of £400, seeing as I've used it 80 times since the 1st of March I reckon I've had my moneys worth with a few meetings to go to yet. Back tomorrow with a few thoughts on Donny. Finally thanks to those who find my ramblings entertaining enough to have nominated my thread for an oscar again, as ever it is greatly appreciated. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary

Beilliant read as ever Rio' date=' happy new year (it's not too late to say that is it?!).[/quote'] Never too late, the same to you & thanks. Right Doncaster which with the maiden hurdle dividing is now an eight race card. I've got three horses running from off my list. One of them is Diamond King in the 2.10 who I was taken with at Wetherby & since then he's lost his unbeaten record when getting turned over at 2/7:eek He probably would have won that Bangor race but for making a real hash of the last & giving it away which just goes to show that even the "good Thing" has got to jump them. He's odds on again today & with New Years Eve now out he's got by far the best form of those that have had a go hurdling & unless one of those coming from bumpers is something decent he ought to be winning this. However he's not my sort of price & I always thought he'd be on the list with a view to making progress & turning up later on in one of the big novice races. The 4yo Stephen Hero comes out of his own age group & into handicap company in the rather warm looking 12.40. I'm slightly surprised that they're going down this route but he could be well in off 120 & he'd nearly have top weight but for the age allowance but I was quite taken with Nesternko when he won here 10 days ago & the amateur on him cancels out the 7lb pen, having said that he's not won a jumps race yet but has won flat races & it makes me wonder why he's on it & not a conditional? I'm actually thinking I might back the bottom one here Forced Family Fun who since the unfortunately named Dean Pratt fell off him at the first at Catterick when I was there has run a fair 2nd at Ffos Las & also makes his handicap debut here. He likes it soft & Brian Hughes is on top but I'll wait & see how I feel when I've had a look. The other list runner is Rozener who's in the 2nd division of the maiden hurdle & who ran well for a long way behind Diamond King when last seen at the end of November at Wetherby. I had him down has one who might pop up at a price & he's certainly that today (66/1) but I was more thinking along the lines of a handicap somewhere. Still if you don't buy a ticket as they say & a few bob ew way or win & place on the exchange may be in order. In the opener I've gone with Minella Friend who won two Irish bumpers before coming over here & placing twice at Exeter for new connections, apart from Softsong that would be the pick of the hurdling form but he's left Philip Hobbs having disappointed at the end of last season & I'd be more worried by Nordic Quest who ran quite well for Henderson on his hurdles bow & does have flat form on soft. Still I'll take Minella Friend as a banker. I'll swerve the novice chase & take two from the handicap chase at 2.45. Triangular would be on a good mark if Harry Fry can get him back on track & the stable are going well, he has soft ground form & has gone well fresh before. The other one is Ifyousayso who's only had two chase starts & goes up 8lb for a good win in the second of those at Leicester LTO, the runner up has won since & while that was on much faster ground Ifyousayso has won on heavy at Carlisle which takes some getting. Two more from the 3.20. Queen Spud was a good C&D 2nd here 10 days ago & runs off the same mark & shouldn't be far off again today. Dardanella steps into handicaps having won a Towcester novice by 6l's LTO on similar ground & the track should suit. 4 x 0.5pt patents with an extra 0.5pt on the singles = 20pts staked. Minnella Friend 2/1 Triangular 9/2 & Ifyousayso 11/2 Queen Spud 5/2 & Dardanella 3/1. Split between Hills, Bet365 & Skybet BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I was thinking of taking in the North Yorkshire Grand National card at Catterick today but with an inspection called for 7.30 this morning I decided not to bother with my usual previous evening study of the card. The track has passed the inspection despite 19mm's of rain but it's heavy ground & light showers are forecast, at the moment only one has come out but I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few more defect from what's already not the greatest of cards & with the lack of time for a serious look & the prospect of standing in the wet stuff watching them slog round a paddy field I've decided not to go. Quite pleased with yesterday on reflection, although I was a bit miffed after the 3.20 but I'm getting ahead of myself. Looking at them before the first I thought that Minella Friend looked a bit on the small side but then so did Nordic Quest & nothing really stood out, Attimo was actually sweating between the back legs & a touch from under the saddle as well & maybe he does that all the time because while it wasn't freezing it wasn't that warm either. That one tailed off in 6th but even worse was Namibian who's a Group 3 winner on the flat for Sheikh Hamdan but was struggling from miles out here & was pulled up & it's hard to see where they can go with this one. Minella Friend seemed to be cruising under Moloney at three out where Liam Tredwell kicked for home on Softsong & to me got first run & he had it won before the last. Moloney woke up & asked for an effort but while Minella Friend stayed well enough for 2nd there was 10l's in it at the line & while he wouldn't have won I get the feeling that Tredwell thought he had a bit more under him than turned out to be the case. A look at them before the next & that made up my mind to have a stab at Forced Family Fun, he looked really well & was the pick of them for me, with 5/1 on the boards 6.4 on Betfair was taken & a bit on the place at 2.36. He traveled really well up near the pace & took it up between the last two from Stephen Hero who weakened into 5th & popped over the last with McCoy the danger on Mojolika, who's one that I've backed with no success before & he looked like he might get there briefly in the last 100 yards but Forced Family Fun was dossing a bit in front & had enough left to score by a half length. Nesterenko was a bit disappointing under the pen & Stephen Hero exits the noted list after that too. In front now & a look at them confirmed that another list horse Rozener did indeed have four legs before the next. Depending on whether they were going each way or win only he was 66/1 or up to 150/1 on the boards, no prizes for guessing which was which:eyes A look on Betfair & a small win & place was secured at just over 200 the win & just over 20 the place. The start for 2m 3.5f's is just at the entrance to the straight & it was at that point where Rozener who had been just behind the lead until then went quickly backwards having completed a circuit. In the end he was last of the nine to finish, 70 odd lengths behind the winner Act Alone but I still think there's a race in this one. He gets a handicap mark now which should be in the basement level, a drop back to 2m's on faster ground & I can see this one popping up at a price in a small handicap somewhere down the line or maybe even a seller, anyway he stays on the list for now. The winner was quite impressive & might defy a penalty but he won't be a price to do so I shouldn't think. The novice chase was good, this Western Warhorse is clearly a bit of a lad, he bolted & was withdrawn on Boxing Day & Tom Scu had a bit of a job holding on to him on the way down & while they were circling at the start. When the flag went down he was off & bounded into a ten length lead up the straight, down the far end of the track & they closed him down & it looked like he might have done too much in front but then as they turned for home he skipped back into a 4l lead again & it seemed Scu had got a breather into him & was now playing catch me if you can. They couldn't, Victor Hewgo got to a neck at the line & there were a few round me grumbling the Fehily had given the odds on Karinga Dancer a lot to do but he was another 16l's back & just wasn't good enough giving them all weight & Scu rode a clever race & earned his fee on what looks a talented but hard ride. Diamond King up next, he made all, skipped away from them two out & won pulling up by just under 4l's with them strung out like washing behind him at 2/5. Visually quite impressive but what did he beat? Not a lot the bookies seem to think because he's still the same sort of prices for the Supreme & Neptune hurdles that he was before this win & I would agree with that & while he got over & away from the last two hurdles quickly I still think he rather dived at them & I'd need to see more before I backed him up in class. I'd two running for me in the 3m chase & Ifyousayso & Triangular were always just behind the long time leader Honest John & it was clear that it was between these three coming to three out. This was where Honest John cracked & when my two cleared the last I knew I had the winner, Ifyousayso had enough to score by just over a length & he was the longer of the two in the market at 11/2. Now I needed one of my pair to score in the next. Queen Spud was backed into 11/8, the seven runners became six when Kykate was withdrawn at the start by the vet having apparently been kicked by one of the others. This looked like a repeat of the previous race with my two going well at three out with only Chasse en Mer a danger & Choc thornton looked to be the one doing the most pushing. However at two out Dardanella went from cruising to losing in two strides & Chasse en Mer was responding better to Choc's shoving than Dicky Johnson's efforts on Queen Spud, she did look like she might rally at the last but Chasse en Mer was well on top at the line even if the result says just over a length. A bit disappointed with that but I bailed out at that point with 13 points back from 20 staked on the posted bet but in front thanks to Forced Family Fun. I'll zero the numbers again when the new GRIY card kicks in at the end of next month. Stakes 7709.4pts Returns 6007.43pts P/L -1701.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1545 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 408.05pts Returns 242.35pts P/L -165.7pts Probably Wetherby up next on Saturday, weather permitting. Minella Friend mzk6.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Softsong pb7k.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Forced Family Fun & happy connections ng0s.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Western Warhorse 0rto.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Diamond King 8z0k.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Ifyousayso 6fp2.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I shall be taking in Wetherby tomorrow & have working on the card this evening along with the excellent Kempton meeting & the big handicap chase at Warwick. I have ended up with 10 selections across the three cards which is a heck of a lot for me especially in the depths of Winter, anyway that's what I have & seeing as I'm likely to be strapped for a bit of time in the morning I've placed the bets tonight & I'll post my thoughts now. In time order then.... Kempton 12.25 The progressive looking one's here would seem to be Toby Lerone & Ice 'n' Easy, the latter hasn't been seen since winning a pair of novice chases in April (one a handicap) & he's up 10lbs for that & has switched stables to Charlie Longsdon who's still going well but I just think he might need this run. Toby Lerone won twice at around this trip in November & the second of those was on heavy at Lingfield & it's going to be testing everywhere tomorrow. He ran in the Grand Sefton when I was there December & was travelling well until he tipped up at the eighth, he's been given seven weeks to get over that & off 4lb higher than the Lingfield win & in the same class here he can get back on track. Kempton 1.35 The Liquidator won the big Punchestown bumper in April & has won both starts over hurdles this season, the first at 2/7 at Carlisle & then a four runner Grade 2 at Cheltenham where he made all & came home unchallenged. He's clearly smart but how strong is the form? I'm going to take him on with Upazo who seems to have improved since last season & has won both his starts this term, the latter win at looks a smart bit of form & while this is a fair hike in class he looks ready for the step up. Wetherby 1.45 This would look to be between Memory Cloth who was decent on the flat & has soft/heavy form & who is off the same mark as when a fair 3rd at Sedgefield on Boxing Day & this time the lad on him takes off 7lb. Allied Answer also has form on deep ground & ran well enough in 2nd to Secrete Stream over C&D a couple of weeks ago, he was 11l's back but there was another 18l's to the 3rd & he might just have run into a good un that day. Forward Flight made a return from a year off at Sedgefield on Boxing day with a fair 3rd & if he comes on for that he should go well enough on handicap debut. I've decided to go with Allied Answer. Kempton 2.10 Captain Chris is best going this way round & has a touch of class, the close 3rd in the Peterborough chase on his return last month should have him spot on for this. Willie Mullin's runs Twinlight but I'm thinking he might not get home at this trip & a bigger danger could be Pepite Rose who came back to form at Wetherby LTO but then she was paddling a bit at the end of 2m's there so Captain Chris it is. Wetherby 2.15 This is a trappy race where I can make a case for most of them but I've gone with Desert Cry who came back to form to win at Exeter on his return & the big thing with him is he can't have it soft enough & that win was in this class where as the others that are in form are either going up in class or taking a fair hike in the weights or in some cases both. Kempton 2.40 Junction Fourteen Hosed up over C&D on Boxing day on similar ground on handicap debut & has been stuck up 16lb for it in a better race but he still looks the really progressive one in the field & is only a 5yo so there should be more to come. Saphir du Rheu would look to be a big danger, he's similar in that he won at a slightly lower class at Sandown LTO & he's been hiked up 15lbs although Harry Derham knocks 5lb back off. River Maigue should go well up in trip but I'll go with Junction Fourteen. Wetherby 2.50 Sticking with the progressive one's which would be Shimla Dawn who's up 13lb for a 10l win at Market Rasen on handicap debut a month ago & Lord Protector who's upped 11lb for a Sandown win around the same time. While the bare form of that wouldn't look as impressive as Shimla Dawn's I'm thinking it was a better race than the Market Rasen one & I'm also thinking that Lord Protector might improve a good bit for the step up in trip here so he's the pick. Kempton 3.15 Relax seemed to come back to something like the form that he showed at Doncaster last February when he won at Ffos Las on heavy ground LTO & he can take this despite the 5lb rise because most of these apart from Good Order seem to have a few question marks over them. Good Order is on a hat trick but is up 15lb from the first of those wins & up in class as well. Wetherby 3.25 Free World was once rated in the 140's & came back to form with a win off 100 at Wawick last month, on his old form he's chucked in, even off 5lb more but can he reproduce that run again? Chicklemix is also up 5lb for a Towcester win LTO but this looks a better race even if it's the same class. There's a chance that Ravens Brook was a bit flattered by the win at Bangor LTO because he was left clear four out & came home unchallenged, he's up 9lb but if the paint rollers have the same effect he can go in again here. Warwick 3.35. This is going to be a right old slog but if Vesper Bell hasn't been put off by falling at the first in the Becher then he looks just the sort for this. Like Toby Larone he's had seven weeks to get over that & he's got bags of form on heavy ground from last season including a head 2nd over this sort of trip at Punchestown when he was giving the winner 18lbs. Having stuck them in a hat I've drawn them out for a lucky 15 & two patents with the double stake on the singles as follows. Toby Lerone 9/2 Captain Chris 2/1 Desert Cry 8/1 Vesper Bell 7/1 1pt lucky 15 Upazo 7/2 Junction Fourteen 11/2 Lord Protector 7/2 1pt patent = 3 x 1pt singles Betvictor BOG. Allied Answer 7/2 Relax 4/1 Ravens Brook 3/1 1pt patent = 3 x 1pt singles Bet365 BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary One of those "Ride the roller coaster days" yesterday. Quite a nice day, if a bit nippy but nothing new in that at Wetherby & I know to wrap up well by now. Just got in to watch the 11.55 at Kempton where I had no financial interest but it's always worth watching these juvenile hurdlers. Somehow Goodwood Mirage managed to win despite his hurdling going to pot over the last two when the pressure was on, he was nearly on the floor at the last & looked to have handed the race to the Green Ogre but McCoy got him going again & he showed a nice turn of foot to get up on the line, if they can get his jumping tightened up he could be more than useful. My first involvement was Toby Lerone in Kempton's next. He was up near the lead most of the way but coming out of the back I'm thinking he's running on empty & so it proved when he faded away at the third last. Ice 'n' Easy came with a late rattle but couldn't get to the 25/1 top weight King Edmund, not the best start then. The first at Wetherby contained the long odds on Red Sherlock who was unbeaten in three bumpers & an egg & spoon novice hurdle at Southwell. He made all & won easily enough despite not taking the last two that well. He's 20/1 for the Supreme & double that to small money on Betfair & I'm not remotely tempted & he's generally 16's for the Neptune with Betvictor going alone at 20/1, the same as Betfair & that would look the more likely target but I'm not falling over myself to get on for that either. Another odds on shot in the novice chase, although Yesyoucan did briefly touch evens when Philip Hobb's Pistol was backed in near the off. He couldn't but Yesyoucan could just about making all to score by 4l's, I wouldn't note anything though. Back down to Kempton for the Tolworth where I got it part right with the Liquidator who tried to made all but was struggling before the straight & in the end beat one of the six home. Unfortunately it wasn't Upazo that took advantage, he could only plod on for 3rd leaving McCoy & Royal Boy to out battle Josses Hill & Geraghty by half a length in a Henderson one two. Now the ones I've backed are coming thick & fast. Allied Answer is in the lead at two out but is just headed by Trust Thomas at the last, Wayne Hutchinson isn't giving up though & he's coming back, they hit the line together but I'm pretty sure Allied Answer has got back up. I'm heading for the winners enclosure when the result comes & indeed he has & the rollercoaster is on the rise. I'll taken a snap or two they've handed the out the prize when the PA announces something, I'm pretty sure I've heard the word objection but the sound systems about as good as the average train station & there's more than me going "What"? I dive in the betting shop & the results up & it's not saying there's a stewards going on but when I come out again it's given out again that the lad on the 2nd has lodged an objection & punters are advised to retain betting slips. It's only a few minutes before the result is unchanged but they would have looked a bit daft interrupting the connections in the middle of having their glass of shampoo to ask for the prize back never mind that the bookies will probably have paid out plenty during the delay, still onwards. Captain Chris hoses up down at Kempton & no sooner has he crossed the line than the starter lets them go for our 2m chase. Murphy holds up Desert Cry & then moves easily through to the front off the long final bend for the last four fences. He takes it up after the first of these & is still sat pulling double, at the third last he runs down the fence a bit & there's a minor coming together with Grey Gold on the other side. Down to two out & he's seen them off & he sails over nice & straight this time, same again please at the last. Same again alright, same as three out & he runs down the fence again & for a split second I'm thinking he's not going to get over but then he's on the other side & clearing away. Bugger me two winners in about five minutes & three on the bounce, at this rate I might make News at Ten tonight. This though is where the rollercoaster has reached the top & it's quickly down the other side. Junction Fourteen is well backed in the Lanzarote but having looked to be in with every chance at two out he's suddenly running on empty & looks legless when coming down at the last. Meanwhle Saphir du Rheu is careering away with it in front & wins by 6l's, picked the wrong one there & having been hiked 15lb for his last win he is going to get a right dose of lead poisoning for this. We're off straight away for our next & as they turn in there's about five in a line heading for the last three flights including Lord Protector who seems to be going as well as any. Two strides later & he's on the retreat with a couple of the others as Embsay Crag & Shimla Dawn pull clear, Embsay Crag looks to have done enough at the last but Shimla Dawn comes back for more & there's only a head in it at the line. This time the stewards have woken from there slumbers & the bing bong goes as Embsay Crag's connections are greeting their hero, having been in the situation with Red Merlin at Newcastle I feel for them but it's not too long before it's announced that the result stands. That's one patent dead but with Allied Answer in I've got Relax & Ravens Brook coming up in the next ten minutes. I was hoping that Relax would be in the sort of form he showed last season at Doncaster where he jumped like a stag, however he was straight out of Well Refreshed's Welsh National effort of how to demolish fences & he did well enough to at least be in contention until the end of the back straight despite wanting to take most of the obstacles with him. Ravens Brook stunk the place out, he was awful, no actually he wasn't that good. Jamie Moore was shoving at him as they past the post with a full circuit to go, that's about 1m 4f's left of a 2m 4f race. He couldn't have been any slower over the fences down the back if he'd got off & climbed over on a step ladder & he was pulled up before the last four fences. I went through to watch the winner Chicklemix come back in & then view the big chase at Warwick on the screen near the weighing room, a bloke near me was doing his nut, Ravens Brook had let him down for the placepot "Backed into 13/8 & never in it, what are the £$%&ing stewards doing"? he rants. He got his wish when the PA asked for the trainer or his rep to step in for a word....

The Stewards considered the running of RAVENS BROOK (IRE), ridden by Jamie Moore and trained by Richard Lee, Which was pulled up. They noted the trainer could offer no explanation for the gelding’s performance. They ordered RAVENS BROOK (IRE) to be routine tested.
They're not machines but it was a shocker, having said that the placepot paid just £27.80 & had Ravens Brook managed to finish in the first two as required you could probably knock £20 off that. The rollercoaster was now hurtling towards the end of the ride, just the last kick in the nuts when Vesper Bell who seemed to be going as well as anything at the time unseated Dave Casey at the 14th down at Warwick. Ah well, at least I ended up in front & it makes a change to head for the Wetherby carpark not thinking that I'm wasting my time. Two winners in the lucky 15 returned 39pts & the double stake single from the patent returned 9pts, 35pts staked, 48pts back. Stakes 7709.4pts Returns 6007.43pts P/L -1701.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1555 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 443.05pts Returns 290.35pts P/L -152.7pts No Yorkshire racing for a while now & the next trip out is likely to be Haydock next Saturday. Imageshack have changed the way you upload pictures so I'll post this first & then work out how to do that:eyes Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary After a quiet week it's back to action tomorrow with a trip to Haydock with Mowgli. I've been working on the card & also Ascot as well & seeing as I've make my choices & placed my bets I'll save a bit of time tomorrow & put my thoughts up now. No great revelation here but it's going to be pretty testing ground at both tracks & I'm hoping they've got the weather forecast of cloudy but no rain correct:hope What's needed then is soft/heavy ground form & a continuation of the small stake multiples. Haydock opens at 12.20 with a 3m handicap hurdle. Hada Men is back down to a winning mark but seems to have lost his way & he didn't show much over C&D just before Xmas but the yard remains in good form. Philip Hobbs is also going well & Western Jo was a fair 2nd at Doncaster when I was there just before the New Year, that was on good to soft & he was pulled up on soft at Bangor before that so I'm thinking it may be too testing for him. Champagne Rian's got a couple of 2nds on heavy in his form but was well behind the winner both times & the run in 3rd on good to soft LTO was not bad. McCoy takes over from a claimer & he could improve. Saphir River has bags of soft/heavy form here & in France & won off 4lb less at Wetherby on Boxing day & if he turns up in the same mood he ought to be thereabouts, I've taken him & Ugly Bug who's another one with deep ground form & who ran a very close 2nd at Chepstow three weeks ago at this trip. A watching brief for the graduation & then the novice chases up next, the latter slightly less interesting with the early defection of Gevrey Chambertin who was due to make his chase debut. Down to Ascot for their 1.50. Highland Retreat has earned this step up in class to Grade 2 after a Listed win at Kempton in late November & Carole's Spirit also moves up in class after a win at Haydock LTO. Utopie des Bordes goes very well on heavy but seems to be struggling to find her best form & really shouldn't turn round the Kempton form with Mickie from LTO & who's another who's earned a step up in class after winning her last two starts & I'll side with her. Haydock 2.05 I'm not a fan of Zamdy Man, even if he's won his last two & I'm thinking he may have been flattered by those wins & I can still see him in my minds eye running in snatches at Haydock last February when I was there. Medowcroft Boy is unbeaten in two bumpers & a Carlisle novice but this is a fair old hike in class here. Stand to Reason is also unbeaten in two hurdle runs but again is upped in class although he was decent on the flat. I'll go with the French import Un Temps Pour Tout who makes his debut for David Pipe having cost £450k:eek & if he runs anywhere near his smart form from across the channel ought to take a bit of beating. I'm half tempted to back Bourne in Ascot's 2.25, he's a C&D winner & is back down to a very good mark. I did back him when he won that time but apart from that I never really got him right when he was running for the racing club & I'm thinking I'll leave him alone. I had a great run from Ptit Zig in the Ladbroke but I'm going against him with Melodic Rendezvous in Haydock's 2.40. He was a little disappointing in the Fighting Fifth when last seen but apparently he pulled a muscle in his back there & the key to him is the ground, the heavier the better & he does have some very smart form in the book. I'd be surprised if any of the other four are good enough so getting 4lb from Ptit Zig & at the prices it's Melodic Rendezvous here. In the Peter Marsh chase Merry King has some solid form in three big handicaps since returning this season & he's actually a pound lower than his good 2nd at Ascot on the first of those & he was a fine 5th in the Welsh National LTO on heavy ground & if the first time visor ekes a bit more out of him he ought to run well. I think it's likely to be too soft for Vino Griego & the Minack as been off a long time & quite a few of Nicholls have need a run. Chance du Roy could go well if he's on a going day, then again. Sydney Paget would need to bounce back from a shocker in the Rowland Meyrick on Boxing Day & Vintage Star ought to be held by Merry King on these terms from the Chepstow race. Night Alliance has been banged up 13lb for winning the Tommy Whittle over just shorter than this here before Xmas & Wychwoods Brook & Valoroso both take a big leap up in class. I'm giving Katenko another chance here, he was a let down at Aintree LTO but that was a bit quick after he fell when going well enough in the Hennessy & all his winning has been done on deep ground. He has a touch of class too & he can return to form here. Back down at Ascot & Sire de Grugy ought to be winning the Clarence House chase, he's had a few of these behind him already in winning the Tingle Creek & the Desert Orchid chases on his last two starts & he goes on the ground. Hidden Cyclone might give him most to do but needs to find half a stone at least for me. Bets Saphir River 9/2 & Ugly Bug 4/1 Mickie 7/4 Katenko 9/2 & Merry King 5/1 perm for 4 x 0.5pt patents + 0.5pt extra on the singles = 20pts staked, Betvictor BOG. Un Temps Pour tout 11/10 Melodic Rendezvous 9/4 Sire de Grugy 11/8 1pt patent + 1pt extra on the singles = 10pts staked, Paddy Power BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A reasonable enough day out yesterday, a bit murky on the high point of the M62 but not too bad on the other side. Having collected the free badges that Mowgli had got from Racing UK we're looking at the early prices for the first. He'd got it down to Ugly Bug & Western Jo & at the prices he went for the latter with Ugly Bug opening at 3's although he did start at 7/2. Ugly Bug tried to make all but was passed at two out & it was around this point where Western Jo also started to struggle, Ugly Bug plugged on for 3rd. The other one I'd backed, Saphir River drifted in the betting & also won the best turned out:( Sure enough he never looked like getting involved. The winner was Extreme Impact who'd been off for 619 days & was the complete outsider at 22/1 of the eight runners & who beat the next longest in the market in what must have been a proper result for the bookies. The trainer Evan Williams writes in the Mirror on Saturdays & gave it little chance & he was to go on to have a right old day with the winner of the big chase & three more down at Taunton. The first race at Ascot contained Handiwork who Mowgli had backed at Wetherby when he'd won the day after Boxing Day, he'd been 2/1 in the morning but went off at 11/8, Mowgli decided not to back him & we watched the race which started with the tapes going up & nothing moved. Nobody wanted to lead but finally they literally walked off & crawled for the first couple of hurdles. Sam Twiston-Davies decided to push on a bit on Handiwork & made the running at a steady pace but then got done for speed from two out by Astre de la Cour so Mowgli rather dodged the bullet there & I wouldn't trust that form one bit. He backed Benvolio in the Graduation chase but he thought that the 33/1 rag Maggio was going to do him at two out after Benvolio had made most & had been jumping very well. Daryl Jacob though kept him together & didn't panic making sure he jumped the last two well & he didn't ask for the maximum effort till they'd cleared the last where he got on top to score. It was a good ride actually, if he'd gone for the Kitchen sink at the last he might have met it wrong & got beat. Mowgli gave some straight back with O'Faolain's Boy in the novice chase who was pulled up down the back & was never traveling at any stage, is from the BHA site...

Rebecca Curtis, the trainer of O’FAOLAINS BOY (IRE), which was pulled up reported that the gelding scoped dirty post-race. They ordered O’FAOLAINS BOY (IRE) to be routine tested.
Taquin du Seuil was odds on won by 17l's despite making a right horlicks of two out. Mowgli then joined me in backing Mickie down at Ascot but she went from looking to be going well to struggling to stay with the front two at around three out. She was 3rd behind Highland Retreat who was the first of three on the bounce for Noel Fehily. Having had one pulled up early by Geraghty in O'Faolain's Boy Mowgli then backs another one with him up in Stand to Reason who at least got round in a remote 4th but you could see that he was never getting involved early down the back, cue another chat with the G&T brigade...
The Stewards considered the running of STAND TO REASON (IRE), ridden by Barry Geraghty and trained by Nicky Henderson, which finished fourth. They noted the trainer’s representative could offer no explanation for the gelding’s performance. They ordered STAND TO REASON (IRE) to be routine tested.
Un Temps Pour Tout looked like he might make a race of it but Zamdy Man was always holding him from two out. Aidan Coleman said after that he was a big baby last year & has grown up now & he's probably right but he's still not one I'd be investing on for me. The connections of Un Temps Pour Tout were not cartwheeling round the parade ring afterwards but then they didn't look too miffed either & I'd expect to see a different animal wherever he shows up next especially on better ground. Having watched Bourne plug on for a reasonable 3rd at Ascot it's the Champion Trial up next. Mowgli's sweet on Ptit Zig & he reads me the trainers thoughts for Melodic Rendezvous in the Racing Post which if you take what he's saying to heart then they're actually schooling in public. "Maybe he's putting us away" I say more in hope than anything. Mowgli backs Ptit Zig & I give it an "Aw £$%& it" & ask for a bet at 3.3 on Betfair for Melodic just as the price collapses & I don't get matched, he goes off at 7/4 & 3.02 on the exchange. As they clear two out I think he's beaten but Mowgli points out that I'm watching the wrong one:eyes & he jumps smoothly past Ptit Zig at the last & clears away readily to win by four & a half lengths. Yes I do believe that Mr Scott has "Put us away" there, still at least I'm on the scoreboard but the unmatched bet rankles a bit:@ Mowgli backs Renard down at Ascot & he runs well for a long way but fades behind a Nicholl's one/two & the winner Bury Parade is the third leg of Noel Fehily's 272/1 treble. Mowgli's thinking of backing Sydney Paget in the Peter Marsh but changes his mind, the final nail being him winning best turned out. He's on Katenko & I think Chance du Roy who throws in a shocker...
Tom O’Brien, the rider of CHANCE DU ROY (FR), unplaced, reported that the gelding was never travelling.
Katenko & Merry King run similar races in that they are right there entering the straight & then both get left behind when Wychwoods Brook & Vintage Star kick for home. After the last though these two are walking home & the other two close late again, especially Merry King but Wychwoods Brook holds on which in a way I'm happy enough with because I've backed Vintage Star on his last two starts & a win from him would be a right kick in the nuts. Into Betfred to watch the Clarence House. Sire de Grugy is near enough 6/4 on Betfair & I ask for a bet, again it looks like I'm not getting matched but near the off I am. He takes it up pulling double coming to two out & having cleared that bounds away, hold your breath & he sails over the last & wins by 11l's from Hidden Cyclone. Time to bail out before the last. Nothing from the permed bet but the double staked singles & the double from Melodic Rendezvous & Sire de Grugy return me 18.97pts from 30pts staked on the posted bets. Stakes 7709.4pts Returns 6007.43pts P/L -1701.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1570 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 473.05pts Returns 309.32pts P/L -163.73pts The trophy was on display for the Champion Hurdle & frankly it's horrendous, Mowgli thought it looked like a bird bath, my Auntie had something similar that she used to have a spiderplant in, I think that ended up in a skip which is just about where this one belongs for me. Much better was the Rugby League Challenge Cup which was shown off by the Wigan coach & a player between races, my Dad would have liked that. Having had a quiet week last week the coming one could be busy, there's Wetherby on Tuesday & Catterick Wednesday followed by the two day Skybet (Great Yorkshire Chase) meeting at Donny on Friday/Saturday. Much depends on a couple of whether's, whether the cards are up to anything & whether the weather intervenes because the forecast from Tuesday on looks a bit wet & wild, we shall see. Benvolio sz1r.jpg Zamdy Man wczo.jpg The Challenge Cup y8ll.jpg Ptit Zig 3zhd.jpg Melodic Rendezvous in the winners vf6g.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Wetherby has passed it's morning inspection so the intention is to go but I have something to take care of this morning & I'm strapped for time. What I must do is thank all those who nominated & voted for me in the PL Oscars, as always it is much appreciated. I'm hoping to get there for the first race but this would be a watching race only for me anyway. I'll take on Shaney Sike in the first of the chases with Free World who was a good 2nd here 10 days ago over C&D & is still well in on his old form. Sharney Sike won on chase debut at Newcastle despite not jumping that well & while fences in general are not as testing as they were they stil take some jumping round here. In the 1.20 Adili is up 8lb for a C&D win where he showed improved form the day after Boxing Day & should go well but Over My Head was also a big improver when scoring at around this trip on heavy ground at Uttoxeter on New Year's Eve & he can defy the similar rise in weight & land this. In the 1.55 Rose of the Moon is down in class & has McCoy up which is why he's quite short & he needs to return to form. Real Milan should come on for his return at Donny just over three weeks ago but would need to jump a bit better here. I've gone with Wicklow Lad who ran alright in the Tommy Whittle & then won at Ayr in this class LTO, he goes on the testing ground & should see out the trip. Secrete Stream isoff the list in a decent looking novice hurdle at 2.30, he ought to go close but he has a penalty & a couple of decent looking ones to beat in Tiqris who has some fair form but I'm not keen on those who keep finding one or two to beat them & Stonebrook who's won a couple of Carlisle bumpers & should go well on hurdle debut on ground he'll handle & he's the pick. These four are in a lucky 15. In the last I have another off the list in Rozener. He was noted from the novice hurdle where Secrete Stream was 2nd to the more than useful Diamond King & I've been watching for him trying his hand at handicapping which he does here. What's intriguing is he's only rated 2lbs below the top weight Which means either the handicapper thinks he's got some ability or that it's a pretty ropey bunch he's in with. I think it's a bit of both & while the Irish raider Abolitionist should go well under McCoy & Boomtown who's up 8lb for winning LTO should also be thereabouts Rozener is worth a small ew at big odds. Free World 4/1 Over My Head 5/1 Wicklow Lad 9/2 Stonebrook 7/4 1pt Lucky 15 Paddy Power BOG. Rozener 2.5pts ew @ 25/1 Bet365 BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Not the greatest of days yesterday but I'll have to do a round up later because I've decided to take in Catterick today. It's not a bad card for interest with a couple of nice chases & the novice chase should be worth a watch with Holywell who's not yet as good over fences as he was over hurdles taking on the David Pipe trained Shotavodka who's one that didn't quite scale the heights he might have as a hurdler & he makes his chase debut here. The opener looks a match between The Last Samuri & Rare Legend but with the latter having had a year off & the former carrying a double penalty I'll let this pass along with the handicap hurdle up next which looks a really trappy affair. Despite the fact that he ought not to be beating Maybe I Won't on these terms from their clash at Sedgefield on Boxing Day I've gone with Hit the Top in the 2.40 who won here after that & I like C&D form at this track, he's only just turned seven so should have more to offer & a bigger danger could be Ubaltique who came back to form in first time blinkers at Kelso LTO. The feature race is a class 3 handicap chase & would seem to concern Prince of Dreams who's only won the once from 25 starts in all codes. Cloudy Joker who won at this class LTO & is on a hat trick here but drops back around half a mile in trip & Arkaim who's also after a three timer but is up in class a bit. I've decided to go with Cloudy Joker who seems to have taken well to fences & I like that he's won at the class. In the 3.45 I'm with Cara Court who has twice won here but at shorter trips but he has won at further than this at Sedgefield last March, he looks to have Bennys Well to beat who is consistent but doesn't win many & who doesn't look that well handicapped. The major doubt would be Cara Court's jumping, he's unseated a couple of times & fell LTO but if he gets a clear round he ought to be thereabouts. I've stuck these in what's effectively a patent with the singles to double stakes but the bets are spread between Betvictor, Hills & Stan James for the odds. Hit the Top 7/2. Cloudy Joker 3/1. Cara Court 4/1. 1pt patent + 3 x 1pt singles = 10pts staked. Now another reason for me going today is to try to get to the bottom of whats going on with this other racing club I've joined, I know a couple of other members & they've been having problems too. One of them contacted me earlier in the week to say that they would be releasing details of what's going to happen in the near future but when I was looking at the card last night I see that they have a runner in the bumper at 4.15 & a look on the website makes no mention of the horse, it's never run under rules before so where & when it arrived from I have no idea. I intend to see if I can collar somebody in an attempt to find out because being a typical Yorkshireman I don't like paying for summat & getting nowt! Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary To round up two days then. Actually I made good time on Tuesday & was at Wetherby in plenty time for the first & was having a look at the runners when Free World was given out as a non runner in the second race. Like that race the other day the tape went up for the opener & nothing wanted to go on until O'Regan decided he had to at a very steady pace. He made most & then it turned into a sprint between him & McCoy on Rayak which Certification won easy enough to turn round the form of their last run. With Free World out I was still looking to get Sharney Sike beaten & after a look at the form again & a view of them parading I decided I'd go with Little Glenshee who's a fine big mare & has been running well till falling on her last run. She set off in front & was jumping like a stag & was still going well about two lengths up when she met the third last wrong & she fell bringing down the unlucky Kykate in the process. This left Sharey Sike & Be My deputy to fight it out & clearing the last the latter looked the more likely but give Sharney Sike his due he stuck his neck out for the lad on him & wanted it more. He was putting up 2lb over weight too so was really up 9lb for the last win, I'm not sure Little Glenshee would have held on but both her & Kykate were still going well & I'm thinking the winner was a touch fortune. All the horses & jocks seemed to be fine. No complaints about the run of Over My Head, he made most & tried to kick for home early in the straight but Rocky Stone & Big Sound collared him at the last & Rocky Stone won by half a length. Wicklow Lad got left behind heading for three out where McCoy & Rose of the Moon set sail for home & he had the other three that finished strung out like washing behind him. I could do with AP landing a quick double here to get me something back but Stonebrook could be backed at 7/2 before, what was probably office money for the SP punters shortening up up to 11/4 at the off. He didn't really settle early in another steady run race & then finished best of all for 3rd but 10l's adrift of the winner. I don't think he'd have beaten Tiqris who was quite impressive but I have to say he gave Stonebrook rather a lot to do & watching him with Donald McCain unsaddling afterwards I got the feeling that the trainer was less than chuffed. Wetherby was it's usual Arctic self & I'm thinking do I stay or what but the midweek crowd was quite sparse so I thought get out of the carpark ok so stay it was. I'd no financial interest in the 3m 1f handicap chase so I watched this from by the rail & snapped Arc Warrior take the last with a long lead with the rest again strung out behind. So now it up to Rozener to rescue the day. Christ he was awful, mistakes at almost every flight & he was tailed off & pulled up before the last & why the jockey went that far with him he alone knows. I'll stick with him for another couple of runs but I'm not going to follow him off a cliff. Off to the car then where at least I got that right & was straight out. Catterick The Last Samuri won like a 4/9 shot should do in a common canter from McCoy on the Irish raider Rare Legend some 11l's back & again they came home in indian file, not sure what he's beaten here but time for a step up in class now it would seem. The well backed Seven Summits won the handicap hurdle up next & was one of four winners yesterday that had connections to Barney Curly at one time & it seems that a mega coup was landed which the bookies are saying cost the industry about £2million. I always take the bookies bleating with a large pinch of salt but there's no doubt that somebody's a few bob better off after that & good luck to them. The beginners chase up next & Shotavodka ran very well in 2nd, jumping soundly but was well held by Holywell who also jumped much better here. Shotavodka was a bit unlucky in that you wouldn't run into a Pertemps Final winner & Liverpool hurdle runner up in a Catterick beginners chase too many times & he'd be a penalty kick to win something similar soon. I must say that Holywell's a lucky lad if the girl that was leading him round is the one that looks after him, she can look after me if she wants, Ggrrr!!! Can't complain about the run from Hit the Top who made most of the running but Ubaltique jumped past him at the last to score quite cleverly, well I did say I was worried about that one. The good news was that Maguire did exactly the same again in the 2m chase on Cloudy Joker, he took it up at the last & pulled 6l's clear on the run in. He's only a 6yo so there should be more to come unless the handicapper goes daft. Crikey a winner then & Cara Court to come. However when I wander through to look at the betting he's 11/2 & 6/1 is in a place & I'm thinking that this will not win. Sure enough he doesn't & Sammy Drake is clouting him with the whip passing the winning post with a full circuit to go & he quickly tails off. The jolly, Bennys Well seems to be struggling down the hill from the back but then soon sees off Mannered when they line up & there are plenty shouting him home but hang on here comes Over and Above who takes it up after the last & goes on to score easily enough with the course commentator rubbing salt into the wounds by informing everybody that that's Over and Above's first win on his 22 attempt. Not unfancied though because he goes off at 17/2 having opened at 12/1. Having tried to spot a face from this racing club all afternoon & failing O'Meara shows up in the ring for the last with two youngish blokes I've never seen & an older couple. No wiser on what's going on then but the horse runs well enough for 3rd behind the fairly impressive Zeroshadesofgrey. I was quite taken with Tim Easterby's Belanna on debut & had a tiny nibble each way at 25/1, I don't think I was the only one who liked the look of her either because she went off at 12/1 & ran alright for a long way until she faded away leaving the back & was allowed to coast home. I think I'll keep an eye out for her, maybe on faster ground somewhere. 1pt back from the non runner on Tuesday & 8pts from Cloudy Joker from the 30pts staked. Stakes 7714.4pts Returns 6008.43pts P/L -1705.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1600 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 498.05pts Returns 317.32pts P/L -180.73pts All being well two days at Doncaster from tomorrow up next. Rayak & McCoy oxb8.jpg Certification 4m92.jpg Sharney Sike ftkz.jpg Rocky Stone 4m3s.jpg Rose of the Moon qtb7.jpg Tiqris bdjf.jpg Arc Warrior clears the last yth6.jpg The Last Samuri i6o7.jpg Seven Summits 5x9e.jpg Shotavodka 2mje.jpg Holywell & his lass jru4.jpg Ubaltique vm5q.jpg Cloudy Joker nqbr.jpg Cara Court 7vpo.jpg Belanna c4y1.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Doncaster this afternoon for the first of two days, the forecast is for light rain but hopefully it won't be too bad. I've looked at this first race till I'm nearly cross-eyed & I'm no nearer than when I started, it's a 14 runner novice handicap hurdle where most of them have shown little or nothing so far & not one of them as won a hurdle race as yet. The chances are that there's something in here that will suddenly show that it's well handicapped but which, if any that is I have no idea & I'll let this one pass by. The next race is a novice hurdle with just the 18 runners but this looks to contain a fair amount of dead wood & seems to concern probably four of them. Area Fifty One was quite useful on the flat & wouldn't be far off Listed class at around 10f's in that sphere, the big question is will he take to hurdles & of slightly less concern the softer ground? Probably but is he a fair price at around 7/4? I think not myself. Dubai Prince is another with good flat form & indeed won a Group 3 at York but having won a nothing race at Leicester on his hurdles bow he then pulled up at Kempton on Boxing Day in a better race when he was too keen early & he needs to bounce back a bit from that, there's likely to be a better pace on here which will help him settle. Varom ran quite well on his hurdle debut at Wetherby's Charlie Hall meeting but then probably found the step up in trip on softer ground against him at Haydock after that. The other one with a chance for me is Pearl Castle who I saw at Wetherby on her hurdle debut where he was a fair if somewhat distant 3rd to a couple of useful sorts. He'd need to come on for that a fair bit but could easily do so. I've not had a bet yet but I'm leaning towards Varom & I'm going to wait until I've had a look at them first. I'm trying to avoid novice chases so I'll just watch the next. I've two against the rest in the 3m handicap chase. Honest John seems to like the track & returned to form when 3rd off the same mark over C&D LTO, this doesn't look quite as strong a race & if he's in the same mood he must run well. Badger Foot has been in good form & is up 6lb for a win at Newcastle at 2m 4f's where he stayed on well. He's a pound higher than his best winning mark but Derek Fox takes 5lb off, he should get home at the trip & did win at Kelso at 3m+ in the past. In the 3.15 which is a 3m+ handicap hurdle much depends on how Atlantic Roller goes. He showed promise in a couple of bumpers before winning a novice hurdle at Exeter in Nov 12, he wasn't seen again for a year & was a bit disappointing in a class 3 handicap at Cheltenham's open meeting off just a pound higher than here. He ought to be better than that but he'd need to step up a bit to get to the level of Tornado Bob who I think could make all here. He looked most progressive a couple of years ago but then seemed to lose his way after an unsucessful go at chasing but since the blinkers went on a couple of runs ago & with a change back to racing up front he seems to have come back to something like. He's been off six months but the stables going well & he can win this. The novice handicap chase is just a watch for me & I'd quite like to stay for the last but it can be dodgy getting away at that time & I'm actually thinking that it could be getting rather dark by the time they set off at 4.20. I've backed Brandon Thomas in the 3.25 down at Huntingdon. After the poor run at Wetherby on Boxing Day he was dropped to 81 having been as high as 103 for previous trainer Ferdy Murphy & despite not winning. He made that drop count by landing a similar race to today's at Plumpton last week on the same sort of ground. He carries a 7lb penalty here but that's what he goes up to from tomorrow anyway & he ought to make a bold bit to follow up. The danger would look to be Moonlight Maggie who's gone up 6lb for just failing to get up at Catterick a month ago when a mistake at two out probably just cost her. That though was her first bit of decent form & I'm not sure she wasn't just flattered in a race that rather fell apart. The bet is two patents plus the extra stake on the singles. Honest John 3/1 & Badger Foot 4/1. Tornado Bob 5/2. Brandon Thomas 2/1. 2 x 1pt patents + 3 x 1pt singles in each = 20pts staked Paddy Power BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Doncaster day two with Mowgli, let's hope it's a better day punting wise than yesterday, a two day review tomorrow. Donny 12.25 I saw Hidden Justice win on the flat at Ponty last April absolutely pulling a bus & had him down as one to follow but then he flopped at York's Dante meeting in a race run in a monsoon & never appeared again until New Years Day when he was last but one of 15 at Musselburgh in a valuable handicap hurdle. He's better than that & down in class & up a bit in trip he can get back on track today, the ground will be no problem & he's only just turned 5yo's old so there ought to be more to come. Cheltenham 12.40 I was impressed by Vicenzo Mio's win at Kempton's Xmas meeting & he ought to improve again. It's very testing at Cheltenham & he's got good form on very soft in France so he should handle today's conditions. Donny 12.55 This was never a betting race but the gloss is taken off the event by the defection of Rock on Ruby because of the ground:\ Donny 1.30 I had Conquisto on last years list & he did me a good turn with a win at Ayr's Scottish National meeting & he won the Old Roan at Aintree on his return this season. Highly tried in the Paddy Power & Peterbrough chases since & not disgraced he drops in class here, is a C&D winner & he can go well at a nice price. Cheltenham 1.50 Our Mick was running a big race in this off 5lb lower last year when he was bumped into & Maguire fell off, the 2nd in the JLT at the festival is decent form too & he didn't run too badly at Aintree LTO & the stables in better form now. He's got first time blinkers on as well & a run near to his best form would see him bang in this. Donny 2.05 A chance to see the up & coming Annie Power & the useful Cockney Sparrow who's no mug herself, especially now she's brushed up her hurdling. Cheltenham 2.25 If Rocky Creek's going to the Gold Cup he needs to win this. He has less question marks than most of these, the Giant Bolster is over rated & always likely to tip up. Harry Topper won the Charlie Hall despite trying to take half the fences with him & he's got a pen for that. I don't see Champion Court getting home up the hill & Houblon des Obeaux might just be a bit better going right handed. Restless Harry isn't as good as he was & neither is Pigeon Island & they were never up to this class at their best anyway. Rocky Creek for me. Donny 2.40 Timesremembered has won at this Grade 2 level & was a good 2nd in the Grade 1 Challow at Newbury LTO, he sets the standard. Sausalito Sunrise won for me at Haydock just before Xmas & has improved loads since stepping up to 3m+ but I'm going to go with the progressive looking Urban Hymn. He's up in class but bolted up in a fixed brush race at Haydock LTO & looks ready for a hike in class now with the step up in trip likely to suit. Cheltenham 3.00 I shall be watching with interest to see how the easy Wetherby winner Red Sherlock gets on now he's wacked up in class to a Grade 2. Donny 3.15 Why they can't just call this the "Skybet Great Yorkshire Chase" I don't know but it's not the only historic race to have it's title messed about with for sponsors cash. Unioniste is good but not top class & tries to give them all weight even with Harry Derham's claim knocked off because Roberto Goldback's rider also claims. It might be that Unioniste will be more suited to giving weight to lesser animals but this always takes some winning & I'm more inclined to look lower down the weights. The one who takes the eye is Night in Milan who seems to like the track & is still progressing having won here LTO & the 3rd & 4th have both won since & are in here too. Mart Lane is on the same terms so should be held but Baile Anrai is 6lb better off for 14l's but that one is probably better at shorter trips. Cheltenham 3.35 A watch to see if Big Bucks can return anything like & if he does then the slightly odds against he's at would look a big price but a watch only it is. That would be it I suspect & I'd think we'd bale out before the bumper. Bets. Hidden Justice 12/1 Conquisto 10/1 Our Mick 8/1 Night in Milan 10/1 0.5pt ew Lucky 15 Betvictor BOG. Vicenzo Mio 11/8 Rocky Creek 13/8 Urban Hymn 7/2 1pt patent + 3 x 1pt singles = 10pts Paddy power BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A two day Donny round up. Friday First the good news, the threatened rain never arrived & apart from dodging a bullet in the second race that ends the good news. The first race went to Easydoesit & Noel Fehily & this was his 100th winner of the season & the first time he's got to that total which is some effort with three months of the season to go. So to the bullet dodging. I had thought I might back Varom in the second race, there had been 9/2 available in the morning which I didn't take & he opened at 7/2. I was prepared to take 4's but when I got back from the pre parade he was already in to 11/4. Watching the market before the off & Area Fifty One went from 15/8 to 9/4, Dubai Prince out to 7/2 from 9/4 & Varom ended up at 2/1f which had me wishing I'd taken the morning 9/2. He was prominent until three out where when asked he found nothing, similar story for Area Fifty One. Meanwhile Dubai Prince seemed to be cruising to victory until Pearl Castle jumped into the lead at the last & absolutely careered away to win by 16l's with Dubai Prince tying up & getting caught for 2nd by an outsider. I'm glad I didn't back Varom then & was quite impressed by Pearl Castle. The well backed Honest John tried to make all but was headed before three out & folded up tamely. Having backed Badger Foot at 4/1 I was rubbing my eyes when he went off at 9/1 having touched 10's. He ran alright & was 3rd in a three way go for the minors. The panama Kid Hosed up to follow up the Catterick win & is going to get clobbered by the handicapper now. Tornado Bob also drifted, not as much as Badger Foot but out to 3/1 when I'd backed him at 5/2 with San Telm in the race. He set off in front but was going nowhere before the straight & was pulled up. The Nicholls runner Atlantic Roller was not much better & with only four facing the starter he was allowed to coast home from three out to get 3rd place money. I went inside to watch Brandon Foot down at Huntingdon. He was still there at three out where Moonlight Maggie who I had as the big danger hit the deck while still going well. Two strides later & Brandon Foot was going up & down on the spot & could only plod home for a 30 odd length 3rd. I decided to bale out at this point but I note that that Rainbow Peak who had been very disappointing at Catterick at the end of December won the last at 12/1! Saturday Having been rather parky on Friday it was a good deal warmer yesterday, well to start with. Hidden Justice was in midfield & seemed to be going ok & then disappeared off the final bend. Master of the Game in first time hood & tongue tie won by just the 15 lengths with the pair that Mowgli backed making a no show. He then dodged the bullet when deciding not to back Vincenzo Mio down at Cheltenham where he was just as disappointing in defeat as he was impressive at Kempton the time before. It's not the first time that Nicholls runners have been a let down at this time of the year he may be one to swerve at this time. On that theme his Caid du Berlais could be seen to be struggling from a long way out in the next which didn't please Mowgli because he'd backed him. Valdez was quite impressive for Alan King who's only just started up again after shutting down on after News Day with a bug in the yard. It's now where I get really fed up. I have a list of noted horses, one of which was Indian Castle who I'd noted from a Wetherby win at the end of November but then hadn't backed when he looked to have run into one in Many Clouds back there in a three horse affair. This proved to be the case but I'd looked at him yesterday, decided that the handicapper might have been a bit harsh in giving him a markof 135 & besides which I'm trying to steer clear of novice chases, including novice handicaps so I let him go unbacked & he wins in good style at 14/1. This begs the question why bother with a list? Answer, it's in the bin. Back to Donny & Conquisto runs no race for me in the next. Mowgli's backed Bellenos & this runs a shocker for him just like it ran for me two starts ago, in between it's won at Ascot at the working mans price of 9/2:eyes Back to Cheltenham where having just won with Indian Castle McCain & Maguire's Our Mick is pulled up somewhere out in the country to further darken the mood. We've got Annie Power to watch next. Looking at them Doyly Carte is a shoo in for best turned out but they give it to Alasi. As they head off to the start the commentator tells us it's Alasi's last ever race because she's off to the breeding shed. At this point the temperature drops markedly & it's suddenly rather black overhead, we decide to go inside to watch. In the race Ruby makes all at a steady pace on Annie Power & at two out he's still not moved but Doyly Carte & Cockney Sparrow are only two lengths down. Costello asks Cockney Sparrow for a big one & she tips up & goes over on her neck but thankfully she rolls over & pops back up, Costello is kneeling up & both seem fine. Meanwhile Ruby & Annie Power have cleared away from Doyly Carte who's now struggling & we get one of those annoying close ups On Annie Power where you can't see the horses legs & she makes a bit of pigs ear of the last, well I think she does. She still wins by 15l's & I'm just toying with the idea of popping out to get a snap of her returning when the heaven's open. It's now horrible out there so we stay inside where Mowgli dodges the second bullet of the day by not backing Rocky Creek who has every chance in the Argento but isn't good enough behind The Giant Bolster & he nearly gets run out of 2nd close home. Mowgli decides he'll back Sausalito Sunrise in our next & nips outside to do so. When he returns he says the rain as just about stopped which is good news, we still stay inside though. Urban Hymn leads from the off & they look like they're racing through a paddy field, he's still there as they come up the long straight the second time & the only one with him is Blakemount with Mowgli having one of those days where everything he's backed seems to never get in it. Over two out & it looks like Urban Hymn has finally mastered Blakemount & is about a length up but he comes back for more & when he jumps the last better & heads Urban Hymn it looks like I'm not winning this either but he too battles back. There's a little bloke in front of us cheering him on & as they pass the post he think he's got back up, so does Mowgli but I'm not so sure, the photo takes a while which means it's close but it goes the way of the little fella & myself as Urban Hymn is called the winner. The photo flashes up & it's just a bit more than a nose & then they show the replay & I'm still not sure he won. A return then but even now I've got rule 4'd for 20p because Racing Pulse has come out late. I dash out to get a shot of Urban Hymn but the picture of Leighton Aspell heading back to the weighing room shows just how wet it is. Red Sherlock then handles the step up in class at Cheltenham in good style & is now 8/1 second favourite for the likely target the Neptune. I've got Night in Milan in the big chase next & I decide I'll add another string to my bow by backing the Druid's Nephew. I get a run from Night in Milan who's up near the lead for a long way but his legs give out turning in & he pulls up before two out. The other one never really gets into along with the pair that Mowgli's backed & the winner & runner up are both 25/1 shots. Back inside to watch Big Bucks & I think he runs a screamer, there's a few crabbing the ride from Sam but I don't see he's done anything wrong & the moaning is because Knockara Beau's won at 66/1. The real question's should be what happened to Reve de Sivola & even more so Boston Bob who were awful, not a sausage from the stewards though. Big Bucks is a big old boy & will come on a ton for that & still looks the one to beat in the big one for me. 7.6pts back from Urban Hymn after the rule 4 from the 45pts across the two days. I suspect I'll give Catterick a miss next Friday as I have something on so Wetherby next Saturday would be my next day out. Stakes 7714.4pts Returns 6008.43pts P/L -1705.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1610 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 543.05pts Returns 324.92pts P/L -218.13pts Varom atzr.jpg Dubai Prince 3iiy.jpg Pearl Castle 83gr.jpg Victor Hewgo fbn6.jpg Tornado Bob gwtr.jpg Annie Power 4f34.jpg Doyly Carte 26c4.jpg Leighton Aspell in the new Bold 2 in 1 advert bsoe.jpg Urban Hymn pe5u.jpg Rio.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the thread' date='good pics and is on my favs list,keep up the good work:)[/quote'] Thanks much appreciated. Been a while but it's been rather quiet around this neck of the woods. As I said I couldn't do Catterick last Friday so it was Sod's law that the racing club runner Philosofy won the bumper at 4/1. I couldn't have gone but it was a bit of a downer though but on the bright side they have now put up an apology on the website for the recent goings on & are saying that somebody else will be running things from some time this month, we shall see if it improves. With that & the morning inspection at Wetherby on the Saturday I decided not to bother but it's Doncaster today so off I go again. It's hard to see what the powers that be can do about the poor turnouts for novice chases that seems to be the norm these days but two runners & Harry Fry says Rock On Ruby won't run if there's any more rain, let's hope nobody spits on the track while they're walking it before racing:eyes When I was looking last evening I did think I may back Vaniteux in the 1.50 if I could get 6/4ish but there were no prices last night & he's odds on so I'll leave this one alone. 2.25 Allied Answer won a handicap hurdle at Wetherby about a month ago & his form reads well but along with Electrolyser who's up to Listed class at least on the flat he has to give the rest weight. The interesting one is First Mohican who won a heavy ground maiden as a 2yo for Henry Cecil in 2010 & then wasn't seen for two years until he turned up at Redcar on 2yo Trophy day when I was there & he won a small handicap. The following season he won a valuable handicap at the Dante meeting FTO & then wasn't disgraced at Group/Listed level afterwards. He's now with Alan King, should have been well schooled & if he takes to jumping he should take a bit of beating on his favoured ground & the way he runs well fresh. 3.00 Crikey this is a trappy race, I looked at it for ages last night & couldn't get my head round it, Knock a Hand has come out to leave eight but I still couldn't pick one to hit the first three with any confidence. Ought to worth a watch though. 3.35 Top Billing won here in impressive style at the trip LTO, I didn't see it live because it was the last race & I'd left. The handicappers stuck him up 16lb for that but for me the hike in class from a nothing class 5 race to a class 3 here that's the big worry. He does though look the in form one with plenty of F's & P's & duck eggs in front of most of the rest & he might well win again but I feel he wants taking on. In the end I've gone with One Conemara who ought to find this a bit easier than the Cheltenham handicap he tipped up in three out when he wasn't getting involved on his return in November. The Henderson horses were a bit in & out then & are running better now, he's had a bit of time to get over that run/fall & he should go well here. 4.10 I was looking at this race thinking that Elenika who ran at Ludlow yesterday wouldn't turn out again which is the case. The progressive looking pair are King Spirit & Clondaw Knight. King Spirit won on his chase debut at Uttoxeter & then was a decent 2nd to the more than useful Brick Red on heavy at Plumpton. He should go well but I'm not certain the 130 mark is that fair & he as to give then all weight in this handicap. Clondaw Knight's up 12lb for his novice handicap chase debut win at Kelso & he's up in class too but only one level. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th from that Kelso race have all won since so the form is solid & the extra 2f's here should suit, I'll go with him. Bet. First Mohican 7/4. One Conemara 7/2. Clondaw Knight 6/4. 2pt patent + 3 x 2pt singles = 20pts staked, Paddy Power BOG. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Once again I find myself hopping mad, not with yesterdays events at Doncaster which were interesting enough but with what happened later. I'd not been back home long when I get another one of those "Hope you backed Dansili Dutch" texts from Mowgli. No because I had no idea she was running. A look at the results shows she's won the 5.00 at Wolverhampton at 14/1!!!! Now I'd logged onto the racing club website on Wednesday afternoon & there was nothing new in the members blog about entries never mind declarations. I log in again after the text & there's a post there from Wednesday saying Dansili Dutch has been declared which must have gone up after I'd looked but there are no timings on the posts like you get on a lot of blog type sites so I don't know when it went up. The best bit though is it says she's been declared for Friday!!!! They can't even get the day right. Now I would not have gone, I don't see how anybody could have asked for a badge & got a reply at the time the post must have gone up anyway, even if you'd managed to twig that they'd posted up the wrong day. I'm also 99% certain that I wouldn't have even backed her it's just that you pay for something & you don't get a decent service, all it needed was a few lines to say she'd been entered & I'd have looked to see if she'd been declared & if I don't go or back her than it's my decision. I have e-mailed them again asking what they are playing at, again I am not holding my breath. And so to Doncaster. Rock on Ruby won the match for the novice chase well enough, his jumping was pretty sound apart from an iffy one at three out where Mr Mole was worse when only a length or so down at the time. Mr Mole hit the last quite hard too & Rock on Ruby pecked a bit on landing there which brought a bit of an ooohh!! from the sparse crowd but he was never going down & was well in control. Did it tell much in the grand scheme of things, not really, the Arkle next which will be run at much faster pace although it wasn't too bad time wise yesterday & still more questions than answers remain for me. Vaniteux took the first of the two novice hurdles like an odds on shot should. He dived at one or two early but by the time they lined up for the last three down the straight you could see Geraghty was sat pulling double & only a mistake was going to stop him. As it was he pinged the last three & given an inch of rein careered away from them after the last to win by 12l's. I was impressed by that, he's in the Supreme for which he's a best of 20/1 but not the Neptune which he might be better suited to at the trip & I may have played in that race but then again he wouldn't be 20's. The early show for the second novice hurdle has First Mohican at 11/4, when I get back from counting his legs in the pre parade he's 3/1 joints with Electrolyser. Another check of the legs in the main ring & he still has the required four but you wouldn't think so because he's now 7/2 which is a big drift from the morning 7/4 which I have & it seems that these days you might as well tear the slip up before the off. Electrolyser is well backed for Henderson & so is John Ferguson's Retrieve who was such a big let down at Wetherby the day after Boxing day. Up the stands then feeling less than confident. Retrieve is not much better than the Wetherby run & looks a lost cause at this game unless faster ground helps. Electrolyser is worse & is beaten before they turn in, the stewards enjoy 40 winks & ask no questions. Choc Thornton seems to be cruising on First Mohican & jumps to the front at two out. Down to the last & he's over in front but here comes Huff and Puff looking like he might nab him & it doesn't help when Choc drops the reins but he manages to recover & holds on by three parts of a length. The warm looking handicap chase is up next & it turns out to be a cracker. Golden Call tries to make all & is jumping superbly, down to three out & Fentara comes to join him & then to two out & Harry the Viking makes it a line of three & Golden Call again out jumps them. Still there all at it going to the last where Golden Call again soars over it much the best & then he stays on best to go away & win by 4l's. I have no financial interest in the race but it's easily the highlight of the day, Golden Call deserved to win that & he gets a good round of applause from the small gathering when he returns to the winners. Having watched him return I walk back through the betting ring towards the pre parade & One Conemara is 9/4 & I double check the runners & they are all there. When I get back from the leg counting session he's 2/1 & 15/8, by the time I get up to my perch on the stand he's 7/4 & then just at the off goes 13/8. The field is bunched as they past the post with a circuit to run but by the time they go up & over Rose Hill down in the far corner there's a few sending out distress signals & one of them is One Conemara. He pulls up before the straight along with his less fancied stablemate & all the fancied ones never look like getting into it including Top Billing who'd hosed up here the time before albeit in much lower grade. The winner is Everaard who's another pattern breaker in that he's won the best turned out although I fail to see how anything can win BTO wearing paint rollers never mind how good the rest of the animal looks. The first three home are 16/1, 20/1 & 33/1 & not many have found one of those. Somebody rouses the stewards from their afternoon slumbers.....

The Stewards considered the running of ONE CONEMARA (IRE), ridden by Barry Geraghty and trained by Nicky Henderson, which finished unplaced. They noted the trainer could offer no explanation for the gelding’s performance. They ordered ONE CONEMARA (IRE) to be routine tested. The Stewards considered the running of TOP BILLING, ridden by Denis O’Regan and trained by Nicky Richards, which finished unplaced. They noted the trainer could offer no explanation for the gelding’s performance.
That clears that up then.... If that's a downer then it gets worse because it's suddenly gone really dark & it starts to rain & I dive for cover. By the time I can venture back out they're going down for the next. I can see from my position in the stand that Clondaw Knight is 6/4 which is the price I took in the morning after Elenika had come out but when King Spirit who's now also come out & was well up in the betting was in the race so this is another drifter & at the off he's 13/8. It's another good race & he runs well for 3rd having still just held a chance coming to the last. Billy Cuckoo stays on well to win & land a quick double for the BTO at 11/2 on a weird day market wise. The rain as eased so it's a dash for the car before it changes it's mind. That started well, & went downhill fast but it could have been worse & the 20pts staked returns 18pts. Stakes 7714.4pts Returns 6008.43pts P/L -1705.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1620 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 563.05pts Returns 342.92pts P/L -220.13pts No racing in the North on Saturday so two on the trot with no day out for me. The race planners have excelled themselves with Warwick, & Uttoxeter in the afternoon & Wolverhampton in the evening for those in the midlands although Uttoxeter is already off. Warwick & Newbury inspect so it's likely to be another quiet spell for me because I don't think I'll be at Catterick on Monday & Haydock on the 15th would appear to be the next port of call. Rock on Ruby 7rli.jpg Vaniteux ttmx.jpg First Mohican u4yq.jpg Golden Call f186.jpg One Conemara 2uqj.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Having had a fair old chunter in my last post about this Racing club I'm in & the "Dansili Dutch affair" from a week ago in particular then I must give them a bit of praise when due. Having bashed off an e-mail & not expecting an answer I can report a prompt & apologetic reply from the chap who it seems is now running things & promising an upturn in the website in terms of info etc. This week has been much better, notice of entries & a couple of new tipsters on the site who've managed to find a few short priced winners & some details of new horses as well. Anyway I'm feeling a little better about things now & I've decided to get the owners head out of the box for the Wolverhampton evening meeting tomorrow where there are not one, not two but three runners in the club colours. I have some running around to do in the morning & hope to get away in good time to get there because I'm not sure what the traffic will be like, there are several stretches of the M1 that are restricted to 50mph but I'd rather go that way than across the M62 & then down the dreaded M6. I've had a look & placed a couple of small bets which I'll post up now because I doubt I'll get the chance tomorrow. 5.05 Wiki Tiki carries a 6lb pen for a first ever win at Southwell last week but even if it doesn't ride as quick as normal Wolverhampton is a much different surface & she's not sure to hold the runner up there Argent Touch on the revised terms. Saffire Song has been knocking at the door but is up 3lb for coming 2nd. There was only a neck between Chuckamental & Mahon Falls over C&D in a maiden when they were 2nd & 3rd & Mahon Falls is 4lb better off. Mahon Falls didn't get home over Kempton's 6f's after that & back down in trip from stall 4 this ones worth a poke at the price. 5.35 Helmsley Flyer is the first of the Direct Racing trio. He won here over 12f's at the start of the month for which he's up 3lb but Sam James takes that back off. This is nearly 14f's & he ran a fair race at that trip at Redcar last May & he should be suited by the step back up. Light the City looks to be better at Southwell & the one I'd fear most is Uncle Bertie who won a small field 2m+ handicap here LTO & was a good 2nd over tomorrows trip before that. I'll go with our lad though. 6.05 There are three with pens in here & it ought to be one of them or Speedyfix that wins & the pin lands on Louis Vee who made all over 6f's here & has been running over further in general & it might be that he needs to be be blazing away in front over shorter, well that's the hope anyway. 6.35 After three low class events up pops a class 2, £12k to the winner handicap! Magika seems to like it here, won at class 3 over C&D LTO & has 6lb more to carry which ought to mean Kasmir Peak should be at least closer to her than the 1.75l's from that race but she looks progressive & can carry on the winning form. Those four go in a lucky 15. 7.05 The aforementioned Dansili Dutch runs here off the same mark as last week because it was an apprentice race she won, she's due to go up 3lb for that so it's not like she needs to run because she's been clobbered. I say that because the unknown is the step up in trip to 12f's, she was awarded a 10f Doncaster race in 2012 after a close 2nd & has been running on well here to win at the 9f+ distance. Looking at what's in the race Wilhana has a pen for a C&D maiden win & would look to need to find a bit more on what she's shown & those that look quite well handicapped appear to be out of form. If she stays I think she can win. 7.35 This looks to be between Alumina who has a 6lb pen for hosing up at Southwell five days ago & is on a hat trick but both the wins were at class 6 & Amahoro who was just held at this class 4 grade last week after a four month break. I just favour the latter in this. 8.05 The last of the Direct trio is the unraced Sheriff of Nawton who's a gelding by Lawman out of a Pivotal mare. Not a lot to go on & I'm hoping they put something up on the website before I have to leave. The one with the form is Brownsville from Mark Johnston but this one's had six goes already. Tashbeeh has been bombed out of my mate Sheikh Hamdan's ownership & Ed Dunlop's care without having had a run, how bad must that one have been at home? The really interesting one is Maahir from Marco Botti who cost 100,000gns & is a Cape Cross colt & while I'm in the same boat in not knowing what he is I've stuck this one in a patent with the last two & at SP because there are no prices on this race which only goes to prove I really do want my bumps feeling. Bets. Mahon Falls 14/1 Helmsley Flyer 5/1 Lous Vee 11/2 Magika 5/2 0.5pt lucky 15 Betvictor BOG. Dansili Dutch 11/4 Amahoro 2/1 Maahir SP 1pt patent + 3 x 1pt singles = 10pts staked, Bet365 BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I'll have to round up last evenings comedy of errors later because I've decided to take myself off to Haydock & I need to bash this post off & get away before the men in white coats arrive. 1.45 Aurore D'Estruval won at the Wetherby meeting two weeks ago that I didn't attend when her chief rival Slipper Satin who's also in here unseated at the first. The form of that race is not up to much & they take on the boys here too with the pair of them carrying a 5lb pen. Handiwork was quite impressive at Wetherby two starts back & the 2nd at Ascot under a 10lb pen LTO just about sets the standard. Hawk High also has a pen for a Warwick success LTO & needs a bit more & McCoy has got off him & on Handiwork. The Green Ogre nearly sank the can't jump for toffee Goodwood Mirage at Kempton a month ago & he should go well here but I'm having a go with the bottom one Sea Claria who's got some fair flat form in France & makes her debut here for Venetia Williams having run a fair 5th on her sole hurdle start in November in France. 2.20 The rest look to have the best part of a stone to find with Celestial Halo & he ought to win this giving everything weight & with Two Rockers & Restless Harry down at Ascot but I'm never sure of Nicholls' runners leading up to the festival & I think I'll just watch this one. 2.55 I had the winner of this in Well Refreshed last year but he's up 12lb & is still trying to wreck every fence on his way round. Rigadin de Beauchene was 2nd that day off the same mark as today but then pulled up twice & hasn't been seen since the Scottish National. I've chucked three darts at this one. Wychwoods Brook won the Peter Marsh here four weeks ago & ought to handle the extra half mile & the 5lb rise. Nuts and Bolts was quite impressive over C&D in late November but then was too bad to be true when pulled up in the Rowland Meyrick on Boxing Day, he likes it heavy & can run well after a short break. The last one is Emperor's Choice who I had a couple of wins with this time last year & who returned to form when winning the West Wales National LTO, he likes the heavy too & has a nice weight with a 5lb pen in this early closer. 3.30 Two stabs at this 3m handicap hurdle. I'll take on the handicap debutant Flemenson who's got the first time paint rollers stuck on despite him rallying to win a bit of a nothing race at Wetherby two weeks ago. San Telm is a course winner & he scored in a decent handicap chase in December & then unseated quite early after, ran a good race in a similar event to this back over hurdles at Huntingdon LTO & he's a fair price in a wide open race. The other one is Horatio Hornblower who returned from over a year off to win a 2m handicap at Ffos Las two weeks ago & is wacked up in trip here but at least he looks progressive & he goes on the ground. 4.05 I had Oscar Rock on my now binned list & he is the form pick here even if the run in the Challow hurdle was a bit disappointing LTO, however I'll let this race pass too. 4.35 This looks to be between Dungeel who won on chase debut at Catterick on New Years Day & Gardefort who's another one making a debut in this Country for Venetia Williams having won over hurdles & fences in France & at a fair level. I'll take the latter. With two races with one selection, one with two picks & the other three stabs I've permed for six lucky 15's to small stakes. Sea Claria 8/1. Wychwoods Brook 10/1 Nuts and Bolts 14/1 Emperor's Choice 10/1 Horatio Hornblower 5/1 San Telm 14/1 Gardefort 3/1 Perm for 6 x 0.25pt lucky 15's 22.5pts staked Betvictor BOG. I hear the rubber bus coming so it's time to scarper. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary So it's about half past Noon yesterday & I'm on the M62 climbing up towards it's highest point at Saddleworth, this notorious spot is bleak at the best of times but the wind is howling, the motorway signs are suggesting a top speed of 40mph, I'm struggling to keep the car in a straight line & watching some of the wagons weaving around is giving me the willies. The wipers are on at double speed but the rain is not coming down it's going straight across, it's so dark it might as well be night time, a sign shows a mile to the turn for Saddleworth it's self "You really need to turn round & go home" a little voice says. Just to show that I'm not a total balmpot I take the turn, hang a right at the bottom & go under the motorway & up the slip road on the other side & half an hour later I'm sat watching Sunderland & Southampton with a cup of coffee. Best decision I've made in a while. I'm going out of sequence here but I'll get back to Friday in a bit. I turn to C4 to watch the first at Haydock where I'm delighted to say I made the right choice because it seems to be hosing it down. I'm less than delighted by what happens next, off they go & when they arrive at the first flight of hurdles Sea Claria appears to take one look at them & go "Arghh, what are these" Somehow Aidan Coleman stays on top but it seems she's frightened to death by the obstacles & it's a complete waste of time passing the enclosures to go down the back straight, he might has well have just come back in because she's pulled up after the first in the back. Now I'm no fan of the stewards but surely to God they should have had the trainer or her rep in & asked what that was about, at the very least the question should have been "Has this animal been schooled at home"? Not a bloody peep from the G&T brigade & there's more to come. Next up on the box is a novice chase at Ascot. Gevrey Chambertain who's missed a few engagements lately & Many Clouds are at the head of affairs until the former stops like he's been shot at two out, the Ascot stewards decide to have a word...

Tom Scudamore, the rider of GEVREY CHAMBERTIN (FR), unplaced, reported that the gelding stopped quickly. The Stewards ordered GEVREY CHAMBERTIN (FR) to be routine tested.
Meanwhile I'm watching O'Faolain's Boy whose been stalking the leading pair & who takes it up after two out & goes on to win. The reason I'm so interested in this one is because Mowgli backed it when we were at Haydock the other week & where it produced a display not too unlike the one that Sea Claria has just chucked in & here it is winning a similar race in good style at 8/1. I'm wondering what Mowgli's thinking if he's watching it & surely the stewards will ask about the apparent improvement in form? Er well no they won't actually not a bloody peep from the Ascot G&T slurrpers it would seem. Back to Haydock & Celestial Halo chucks in a shocker, the stewards are awake again & ask the question...
The representative of Paul Nicholls, the trainer of CELESTIAL HALO (IRE), placed third, reported that the gelding needed the run after a break of 77 days.
Is that not schooling in public? Should some action not be taken? It looks like Mickie who both myself & Mowgli backed on her last run & who rather disappointed us might win but she can't get past Seeyouatmidnight. There's a beep from my phone & I have a text. It's Mowgli asking me "How has O'Faolain's Boy won that after the way it ran last time"? It's no good asking the stewards kid, they haven't a clue. Just to put the cherry on the cake for him Rigadin de Beauchene wins the big chase at Haydock which is the one he backed last year when he was 2nd but not this year when it wins at 16/1 We'd both backed Two Rockers last time as well & I'm expecting this one to hose up in the next at Ascot having been backed to do so but he tips up at the first. the Haydock 3.30 isn't on the box but San Telm to quote the form is "Never a factor" & Horatio Hornblower pulls up prompting the stewards to have a word...
Jason Maguire, the rider of HORATIIO HORNBLOWER (IRE), which was pulled up, reported that the gelding was never travelling.
Mystery solved then! They have another chat after Dungeel runs a shocker in the 4.35, this one was vying for favouritism in the morning but goes off fifth choice of six & is drifting like a barge on Betfair.
Jason Maguire, the rider of DUNGEEL (IRE), which was pulled up, reported that the gelding was never travelling.
Crikey talk about a record with the needle stuck. Gardefort seems to be going well & then stops dead & is pulled up. Not the greatest day then but at least I did the smart thing & went home because I get the feeling that the teddy would have been flying out of the cot had I actually got there. So back to Friday. The good news was I made excellent time despite the 50mph zones on the M1 & was able to make use of the voucher for a meal in the O&T's bar before the first. Mahon Falls tried to make all but probably did too much in front & faded up the straight. Now it's the first go with the owners head. The lovely Beth is running the show along with another girl & it seems I have the pair of them all to myself because she was told there would be three of us but there's only me. Helmsley Flyer is well after his win last week & we are expecting a good run. At the three furlong pole where they leave the back he's cruising & seems to be going best of the lot, in running he's goes as low as 3.25, at the top of the home straight just after the two pole he finds nil & comes home 5th. Sam James is a bit disappointed because he was going really well, not sure if he just didn't see out the extra 2f's or if the second time blinkers didn't work, hey oh. I have the next winner in Louis Vee who gets to the lead after a furlong, blazes away in front & never looks like getting caught. I'm on at 11/2 & he goes off at 11/10 because there are three non runners & two of them are fancied & I'm going to get rule4'd to death. Make the most of it though because it's all downhill from here. Magika fails to live up to her name & is only 4th of the six. Back to the parade ring for Dansilli Dutch. Beth tells me that Josh Doyle who's on her is a good little rider & they're hoping she wins because he's yet to get off the mark & he would have been on her last week but he'd gone home to Ireland for a break & missed out. Out he comes & I'm thinking of asking him if his Mum & Dad know he's out this late but settle for him telling me that the instructions are to drop her in the middle & leave it late to give her chance to get home at the new trip. He gets legged up & I wander through the stand to the front where I can see on the big screen she's giving him a bit of a hard time going down. Then it all goes Pete Tong... The stalls open & she completely misses the break & is stone last a good 10l's off the leader. Unfortunately they are going a decent pace so Josh can't nudge her up & he has to sit & suffer at the back & hope they slow up but they don't & she's a bit keen too. She never gets in the race & beats one of the eight home, by the time I get to where they're unsaddling David O'Meara is already on the phone to Beth because it looks bad & he's expecting the stewards to have them in. No sooner is the saddle off than a bloke appears to take her off for a dope test, Josh is explaining to me what happened & looks like he might be about to burst into tears. Beth's off the phone & says they need to get their story straight so I say I'll see her later for the last race & toddle off. This is where being on the other side of the fence is an eye opener, had I just backed Dansili Dutch I'd probably be having a rant but I know why it happened & that's all any of us want to know as with some of those runs mentioned before. I had the next race down to two & I've picked the wrong one because Amahoro beats one of the six home despite being well backed & going off favourite while Alumina comes late & fast to win going away. Back to the parade ring for the last, the other girl is there but not Beth & it seems the stewards have let her out to saddle Sheriff of Nawton & then had her back in again. She turns up just before Sam James & it seems the stewards are not happy & they've had a hard time in there & it seems they may get referred before the beak at Portman Square. This is what's been put up on the BHA site...
The Stewards held an enquiry into the running and riding of DANSILI DUTCH (IRE), ridden by Josh Doyle and trained by David O’Meara, which raced in a detached last after being slowly away before being asked for an effort approaching the three furlong marker to finish seventh, beaten some 15 lengths. They interviewed the rider and the trainer’s representative. They also received a report from the Veterinary Officer and observations from the Handicapper. The rider stated that his instructions were to drop the mare out early on and ensure that she relaxed, on this her first start over the distance. However, after missing the break the mare commenced to pull hard through the early and middle stages and consequently failed to stay the one mile four furlong trip. The trainer’s representative confirmed the instructions and stated that having missed the break she was satisfied with the manner in which DANSILI DUTCH (IRE) was ridden. Having heard their evidence and viewed recordings of the race the Stewards noted their explanations. The Stewards ordered DANSILI DUTCH (IRE) to be routine tested.
Ok it didn't look great but it drives me mad when they can pick on a young lad who's just starting out & a lass who's not much older when they won't say boo to some of these so called big boys who just shrug their shoulders & get away with blue murder. I have to say I could have quite cheerfully gone to the stewards room & knocked a few heads together. Anyway we're in the dark as to what expect from Sheriff of Nawton, Sam gets the leg up & I say goodnight to the girls & thank them for looking after me because unless he gets a place I'm going to bail out straight after the race. The bookies are inside under the stand & are going 33's, a look at the tote shows him at at £100+ for the win & £40 odd to place, no brainer & I have a bit each way. I'm on the Botti newcomer at SP & he's 6/4 with the Johnston runner Brownsville a well supported evens. The stalls open, the Botti horse dives left on exciting & then proceeds to buck & kick like he's in a rodeo ring & not at the race track, Martin Harley goes into orbit but seems to be ok as the horse gallops off. You couldn't make this up, if you saw it on a TV programme you'd go "Yer right" & roll your eyes. Meanwhile the Sheriff is at the back & running green, he beats the loose horse home & I beat a retreat, the Johnston runner is a poor 3rd & is a serious dodgepot. One winner in the lucky 15 which after the rule 4 returns 2.97pts from the 40pts across the two days. Stakes 7714.4pts Returns 6008.43pts P/L -1705.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1655 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 603.05pts Returns 345.89pts P/L -257.16pts It's a good job I've got a warped sense of humor & a thick skin or maybe I'm just thick because I could get seriously down but I'm not, I may go to Wetherby on Tuesday where I might have the owners head on again. I would think I will then be at Doncaster on Wednesday & then Mowgli & myself are heading down to Kempton at the weekend, this is of course depending on the South of the Country not disappearing totally under water. Bring it on! Not much in the way of pictures, the old Box Brownie is not so good under floodlights & it seems you now have to pay to use Imageshack, anybody got an alternative way to post pictures? Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I've decided not to go to Wetherby today, the possible runner from the racing club in the closing bumper has not been declared which is a shame because the race has cut up badly with only five declared & now one of those has come out. The last four races on the card now have four, five ,five & four runners although the chase at 3.25 looks a decent enough race IF they all stand their ground. The first race though is not much better than a seller & while the novice handicap chase & the handicap hurdle at least look competitive there's not enough in the card to get me up & off. I'll take a look at Doncaster for tomorrow later & & hopefully that will look a bit better. Not sure how the Kempton card is going to shape up for Saturday, I can see there being small fields for the Adonis & Dovecote hurdles & it seems there are no entries up yet for the Grade 2 Pendil novice chase but it did say on the Racing Post site last evening there were six entered. Perhaps they have reopened it? Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary There are seven entered in the novice chase at Kempton on Saturday, let's hope that enough turn up to make a decent race. Back to today though & a ride out to Doncaster where I have a patent with double stakes singles & a small stab at the placepot on an interesting card. 1.45 Stellar Notion has to give the rest 6lb for winning a bit of a nothing novice hurdle at Newcastle on heavy ground a month ago, at least it was at this class though & that is the pick of the hurdle form on offer. In the Rough was a fair 3rd on hurdles debut at Towcester but needs a good bit more to win & Rhapando looks very similar having also run reasonably well on his hurdles bow at Ascot in December. Master Dee won a Sedgefield bumper in January & could go well on hurdles debut & Un Ace won an aw bumper at Lingfield just over a year ago before a decent run at Donny & a not disgraced effort in the big Aintree bumper when last seen in April. While I wouldn't back Stellar Notion to win at a shade of odds on he ought to make the first three & keep me in the placepot. 2.20 I'm supposed to be avoiding novice chases but I was quite taken with the win of Victor Hewgo over C&D LTO & when he was just beaten at shorter here the time before that, I've stuck him in the patent bet. Holywell is the favourite & while he was a lot better at Catterick LTO he doesn't look a natural over fences & hasn't yet looked like getting up to the level of his smart hurdles form. These fences are quite stiff & while he has 3m form over hurdles getting round here in one piece can take some doing. On that basis I've swerved Top of the Range too, he unseated at the first at Musselburgh LTO & was a bit iffy when winning a small field novice at Ascot before that. I've stuck Firm Order in the placepot, he's consistent, has form at the trip & the 2nd to Pete the Feat LTO in December is reasonable enough. 2.50 Pearl Castle impressed here when winning & ought to go well despite having to give all bar Mahican 7lb. That one pulled up at Warwick LTO having struggled to win there on hurdles bow. Ronaldinho is interesting down in class & with the stable in better form & She's Late had some decent flat form for John Gosden. There's a couple come out leaving eight runners & I don't want anymore defecting & Ronaldinho & She's Late go in the placepot. 3.25 This veterans handicap chase is the most interesting race on the card. Massini's Maguire has some really smart form but is 13yo's & hasn't been seen since winning at Ascot two years ago, can he win this on the back of that? Burton Port is chucked in on his old form but the move to Jonjo hasn't sparked a revival yet & he was pulled up on New years Day. Big fella Thanks is another who on old form would go well but he hasn't done much in four runs since unseating in the National last April. Time for Rupert is another on those lines & McMurrough & Tranquil Sea might find this a bit too far. Aachen won one of these veterans races at Sandown LTO & is up 3lb but is another who might just find this 3m's too far. I quite like Fruity O'Rooney for this. He's down to a winning mark of 135 having been in the mid 140's & ran quite well on heavy ground at Sandown LTO & he wasn't beaten far at Aintree before that. He's in the patent. 3.55 Potters Cross is down in class from his last two runs & ought to go well. Dundee looks a plodder & they seem to be hoping the 3m+ trip here will bring about improvement. Shakalakaboomboom is another of those might be chucked in on old form sorts but hasn't won over hurdles & is he just warming up for another tilt at the National? Kaysersberg hosed up here over C&D & in this class LTO but there were only four runners & two of those ran shockers & he's up 7lb. The progressive one looks to be Matthew Riley who was a good 2nd at Haydock just before Xmas off 2lb less than here & seemed to like the step up to this sort of trip, I'll take him. 4.25 If I'm still in the placepot I'll be staying to see if Palypso de Creek can make the first three, he looks the solid one in a race where Marufo & Beneficial Reform would seem to need faster ground & Foundry Square threw in a shocker LTO. Bets. Victor Hewgo 5/2 Fruity O'Rooney 9/2 Matthew Riley 5/1 1pt patent + 3 x 1pt singles = 10pts staked Skybet BOG. Placepot 1 1 & 4 6 & 7 7 6 2 4 lines at 1pt = 4pts staked. ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Despite not winning anything yesterday I really enjoyed the day at Doncaster, the sun was out for most of the time & it was quite warm & there was a definite feel of Spring in the air. In fact there are only two more jumps cards at Doncaster, next Friday & Saturday & then the next time Town Moor sees action it will be for the start of the flat season at the end of next month. For the opener it looked for a while up the straight like my prediction that the odds on Stellar Notion would at least keep me in the placepot might prove to be wrong but he finally had looked to have got on top at the last & then Un Ace arrived with a wet sail & cleared away in a few strides to win by 8l's. His owners the Ace in the pack partnership seemed to be out in force & looked well pleased with things when shown on the big screen being interviewed by Robert Cooper on ATR. That was a decent effort after 300+ days off & they could quite easily have some more fun with this one in the next few months. Still running in the placepot then & things were looking good in the novice chase with two of the three in with a chance heading down to two out my placepot picks & the one that wasn't Holywell had been scrubbing along for a while under McCoy. It looked like I might have the winner too when Victor Hewgo jumped into a narrow lead at the last but McCoy's not been champ for donkeys years for nothing & he forced Holywell up to win by three parts of a length close home. Still I'm alive in the placepot yet & if they all ran like that I'd be more than happy. A similar scenario in the next where two of the four heading to the last are running for the Tote bet. The odds on Pearl Castle made it look like hard work but he finally got on top to win & that wouldn't be Triumph Hurdle winning form for me. The stewards had a word after as well....

The Stewards held an enquiry into possible interference shortly after the second last hurdle. Having heard their evidence and viewed recordings of the race they found that the winner, PEARL CASTLE (IRE), ridden by Brian Hughes, had interfered with MAHICAN (IRE), unplaced, ridden by Denis O’Regan. The Stewards found Hughes in breach of Rule (B)54.1 and guilty of careless riding in that he made a manoeuvre to his left causing interference. They suspended him for 2 days as follows: Wednesday 5 and Thursday 6 March 2014.
Ronaldinho managed 3rd to keep me in the placepot. The veterans chase was a good watch with Time For Rupert & Massini's Maguire locking horns up front until the latter's legs went to jelly up the home straight. Tranquil Sea took it up & stayed on well to win & the stewards decided this was worth an ask too...
The Stewards considered the apparent improvement in form of the winner, TRANQUIL SEA (IRE), ridden by Gavin Sheehan and trained by Warren Greatrex, compared with its previous run at Sedgefield on 26 January 2014, where the gelding finished third of four, beaten 29 lengths. They noted the trainer’s explanation that the gelding is possibly suited by the step up in trip and the better ground. They ordered TRANQUIL SEA (IRE) to be routine tested.
The let down was Fruity O'Rooney who I expected to be up near the front if not making it but he raced in midfield & never got involved, no surprise because he drifted to 7/1 so the writing was on the wall but not in big enough letters for the stewards to ask a few questions. Out of the placepot then & just the well backed Matthew Riley, into 3/1f left to prevent a washout. I have to say that Richie McGrath earned every penny of his riding fee, he was pushing & scrubbing away from a long way out & I expected the horse to tail off but he kept him in it until Alan King's Seventh Sign held him easy enough after the last. The Stewards didn't like that one winning or the run from Potters Cross...
The Stewards considered the apparent improvement in form of the winner, SEVENTH SIGN, ridden by Noel Fehily and trained by Alan King, compared with its previous run at Chepstow on 28 December 2013, where the gelding finished sixth of nine, beaten 30 lengths. They noted the explanation of the trainer’s representative that the yard had been out of form and that the gelding has been working well at home. They ordered SEVENTH SIGN to be routine tested.
The representative of Rebecca Curtis, the trainer of POTTERS CROSS, unplaced, reported that the gelding was unsuited by going which was good to soft, soft in places.
Potters Cross has won on soft & run well on good ground & heavy too & had I been the steward I'd have been asking just what ground does the horse want then? Just before the veterans race I'd overheard an old boy up on the stand telling his mates that the two blokes with Jonjo were Burton Port's owner Trevor Hemmings & his racing manager the old lad had asked the latter about Burton Port's chances but he'd told him they weren't here for him but Dundee in the next. That was the one I thought was a plodder & he plodded on for a 14 or so length 4th & I hope that the chap didn't have too much of his pension money on it, if it ever runs over eight miles somewhere he might stand a chance. At this point I decided I'd watch the hunter chase from near where I'd parked the car which was by the side of the track round about the second fence from home. As they went past the second time Palypso de Creek was in front & indeed went on to win which gave me five legs of the placepot but it didn't pay much just £15.50 but that was with the jolly placed in all six races which actually isn't that bad. Nothing to come then from the 14pts staked. Stakes 7714.4pts Returns 6008.43pts P/L -1705.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1670 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 617.05pts Returns 345.89pts P/L -271.16pts Two of the three that ran at Wolves last Friday are there again tomorrow evening, I will not be, by that time I should be even further South to the West of London. I'll try to watch it & I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest were Sheriff of Nawton &/or Dansilli Dutch both run much better races, it would be hard for the latter not to. I will try to post up something before Kempton on Saturday but it won't be much I suspect because I'm not in my usual hotel & I will have limited internet access. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary So here we are, down South & boy can you tell its been raining, still we've got here, its sunny & there is internet access but now my laptop as thrown a wobbly & I'm on Mowgli's so short & to the point. The big fancy for me is Activial in the 2.05. The run behind Calipto at Newbury is pretty smart & a similar effort today might be good enough but I'm hoping for a fair chunk of improvement. I have him in a single & intend a top up at the track if I can get the same odds. Activial 40pts @ 2/1 Coral BOG. I've also stuck him in a trixie with Balder Succes @ 11/8, who ought to win if he gets the trip & he has won at around this distance at Chepstow. The other one is Irving @ evs which is a bit skinny but he's got much the best form & should hold Cup Final on the worse terms & First Mohican would need to improve a fair chunk on Donny win LTO. Activial 2/1 Balder Succes 11/8 Irving evs 10pt trixie Paddy power BOG. Finally a lucky 15. In the first the pin lands on Sunny Ledgend whos well down in class here & a fair price in a real puzzle of a handicap. I've gone with Standing Ovation in the other handicap chase which also looks a "Two pipe problem" as Sherlock would say, he at least looks progressive. The 4.25 looks to be between Royal Player & Full Shift with the former the pick. Finally I'll go with Aqalim in the closing bumper. Sunny Ledgend 12/1 Standing ovation 8/1 Royal player 11/4 Aqalim 7/4 1pt lucky 15 Betvictor BOG. Time to give Mowgli his laptop back. Rio.

Nice trixie with the drift on a.kings horse a bonus' date='Irving looked a really nice sort and frys was pretty good too:)[/quote'] Thanks Steven, I have to say I enjoyed that weekend, a real tonic & I have next year penciled in already. Just to flesh things out. Having got off an already busy M25 around 3.30pm at the Chertsey turn off we then get to a set of traffic lights where we turn right but it says road closed & sure enough there are Police blocking the bridge over the Thames, now what? I get out & wander over to a fresh faced constable & say.. "Excuse me old chap but could you possibly re-direct me to Shepperton" He looks me up & down & replies "Al tell thee wat old cock, al get me mate to move t'cones n' tha can go ower t'bridge scene as tha's from up North" Well you could have knocked me over with a feather, they're pretty damn clever these Southern law enforcement chappie's & I'm still trying to work out how he knew I wasn't a local? Anyway over the bridge we go, the roads flooded on the other side but we get through until our next turn off where there are so many caravans blocking the road it looks like a gypsy campsite. Another short detour & we're heading down Shepperton high street & two minutes later we have arrived. We check in & then wander across to the other hotel where I've stayed before & which is by the river. Another few inches & it's in the river & I suspect there have been a few close shaves over the last few weeks. A few sherbets, well for me, Mowgli doesn't drink:eyes & then we watch Sheriff of Nawton come 4th of four at Wolverhampton but still run well enough followed by Dansilli Dutch chucking in an absolute shocker when last of the six having drifted like the Kontki. A bite to eat & out with the laptops, the hotel/pub we are staying at seems to be a bit short of sockets in the lounge area & the wi fi won't reach the bedroom so we're relying on the batteries & the one in mine is a bit more "Short lived gorilla" than Duracell bunny. I've pretty much decided what the plan of attack is when the laptop croaks & it seems I'll have to wait while tomorrow when it's recharged. Saturday Up & at em but my laptop now won't connect to the wi fi & having struggled to place some bets via my phone & these wonderful apps that the bookies keeping advertising but which are actually about as useful has a hole in a parachute, the Betvictor one being especially naff Mowgli kindly lends me his laptop. Bets placed & the short post from yesterday put up it's off to the station under blue skies. We meet up with the much missed Bowles at the track, nice chap & we do a small placepot between us. I'll be happy to get through the first leg which we do with Ballinvarrig from two picks, the other is Sunny Ledgend who's struggling when he falls late on. The early shows are up for Activial & there's 2's on offer, I'm getting fed up of pratting around, this ones paying for the weekend or I'm getting carried out on my shield so I steam in before we go round to view them. He seems to have the required number of legs & the head is on the right end so it's back round the front where I'm hoping to see he's shortened but he's still 2/1 & then having got down by the rail to watch I see he's just gone out a touch to 9/4. Off they go & he's in third & going well, he's really slick over the hurdles & when they line up for the last two in the straight Noel Fehily says go. He pings two out & hits the front & goes clear, hold your breath & he meets the last on just the right stride & flies the flight, it's been a while since I had a proper punt & he isn't getting caught now. Mowgli's backed him as well & in some multiples so we're well chuffed as we snap him coming back in & afterwards. Next up is Balder Succes & I'm worried when I see he's on the slide out to 9/4 but he also jumps well, especially at the last which seals the win. I've now got two in the trixie & Mowgli's also backed this one so things are looking good. We both need Irving & he's always just odds on & goes 4/6 at the off. He travels well enough but is a bit iffy at one or two & then he goes to the front after two out. There's an awful moment when he seems to dive at the last but then he's bounding clear up the run in & he's home by an easy 5l's. I haven't had a day like this for a while & it's off round the back for more pictures. Mowgli's now got three in of four backed in trebles & a fourtimer so he's already in front but if the other cops it's really going to be one of those days. We have the big handicap chase first & we are still in the placepot. We've picked one each in this, mine is Standing Ovation who we've put in instead of one of the two Bowles has picked, he's up there till three out then disappears in two strides. Mowgli's is Ardkilly Witness who runs on late but can only manage 5th & he's backed this one & Midnight appeal who hits the front at three out looking all over the winner & then just as quickly hits a brick wall & comes 4th. The one of Bowles we put in is Gandioso who folds tamely, the one we didn't is Bury Parade & he of course runs 2nd & we are out of the placepot, not that it paid much any way. Next up is the handicap hurdle which we agree is between Royal Player & Full shift & Mowgli wants Royal Player for a full house. He runs well at the front until round the bottom bend towards two out where he curls up most tamely & ends up a well beaten 4th. Of course the other one wins & despite being nicely in front he's a bit miffed. I have a little bit each way on Hidden Justice which is the one I saw win at Ponty last Spring & which I backed on his last run, suffice it to say I won't back him again! In the bumper I have Aqalim in my lucky 15 & Mowgli decides to back Clondaw Banker. Coming up the straight & he seems to have called it right because Clondaws in front & Aqalim is being a bit of a monkey & is all over the place but then it looks like Colin's Brother is going to do them both & indeed heads Clondaw Banker close home only for Aqalim to fly up between the pair of them & get up on the line. Aqalim is the only winner in the lucky 15 which returns 5pts. The BOG on the Activial single return 130pts. Again the BOG on Activial & Balder Succes along with Irving return 446.88pts from the trixie. That's 581.88pts back from 95pts staked, as usual the non posted bets are not included. Stakes 7754.4pts Returns 6138.43pts P/L -1615.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1820 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 662.05pts Returns 792.77pts P/L +130.72pts Time to catch the breath, I don't see me going to Catterick on Tuesday but then again I'll have a look. I'm pretty certain I'll be at Doncaster Friday & Saturday. I must get some pictures up, perhaps tomorrow. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Right lets see if this works... Activial returns to the winners Activial_zpse2db2b02.jpg Noel Fehily off to weigh in NoelFehily_zpsbfc535a9.jpg Activial off for a wash down Activial2_zps473cbf56.jpg Balder succes clears the last in style Baldersucces_zps241a6845.jpg Irving & Vaihau going down Irving_zps159a9184.jpg Nick Scholfield looking pleased with life NickScholfield_zpse6abd261.jpg Irving leaving the winners Irving2_zps0305da57.jpg Full Shift FullShift_zpsfcfb0ab1.jpg Aqalim Aqalim_zpsebafba92.jpg A rather swollen Thames near the hotel Thames_zps88731bd5.jpg The not supposed to be there lake just up the road from the hotel NewLake_zpsfc572775.jpg That seems to have worked, thanks to Mowgli for pointing the way. Rio.