** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Rio's Racing Diary

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing Diary This should be interesting, Monday afternoon at Wolverhampton! I've been to the track before but both times it was in the evening & if the brain cell is working right I think one of those was on a Saturday, I'm rather thinking that there may just be one man & his dog there, I doubt it will be as busy as Donny was on Saturday but you never know. The reason for the visit is Creek Falcon is running for this other racing club I've joined. He was one of the two that ran at Doncaster in July just after I joined & he was a bit disappointing that day being beaten 8l's when 7th of eight. However he was up in class (3) that day & instead of the usual chase the pace tactics they held him up & he didn't like it. After that though he went down a class & ran a shocker at Leicester when after chasing the leaders he was the first to fold up & he finished last of the nine. He's had a 54 day break since then & returns here dropped to a class 6 seller! I have to say I'm a bit surprised by that, I would have thought he'd be competitive at class 5 somewhere although I don't think he'd like it soft & maybe he wouldn't get the ground before the end of the turf season now. He's had one run at Southwell & was last so that surface looks like it doesn't suit either. He won on the Polytrack at Dundalk at a mile this time last year when trained in Ireland & he's run alright at Wolves before, if he's anything like he ought to be winning this but the trip would be right on his limit & he'd have to be back to something like his best. On the Racing Post ratings we're 7lb clear of the rest headed by Cocozza, that one's 2lb behind us on official numbers & we're giving him 6lb but since he's come over here from John Oxx in Ireland he hasn't shown a lot. Honey of a Kitten goes well on the aw & could be the danger along with Conducting who also likes the surface but usually needs a bit further. I'm not confident but we'll see. I've put him in a bet called an Opal with four others that comes from an old racing book I have, instead of the full 26 bets for Doubles, trebles etc it reduces the doubles to four & the trebles to three & along with the any four from the five gives 12 bets. If you get two winners it's 6/4 they fall together but three must give a double or a treble & four means a fourtimer plus doubles & trebles. I've stuck the fivetimer in as well giving 13 x 1pt bets instead of the 26 & covered the singles to 5pts, two winners might land a double but if they don't the singles should return most, if not all of the stake. In the 2.30 I've taken Tatting, he's a course winner & has been running well for an in form yard who have a reasonable record here, the lad on him seems to know what to do & has had a couple of wins from seven rides round here. Relation Alexander carries a 6lb pen at 3.30 for a nursery win at Kempton at this trip five days ago, Robert Tart takes half the pen off & rides the track well, Paul D'Arcy has a decent record at the track too. Illustrious Prince is actually a pound lower than when winning at Redcar last week & escapes a pen because that was an apprentice race & the same lads on taking off 7lb again. He's run 2nd here before & won at Lingfield & Kempton & at this trip & he really ought to be up to winning the 4.00. The Great Gabrial won at Chepstow LTO & has won here & at Lingfield, can find a bit more & defy the 7lb rise in the 4.30. Bets. Tatting @11/4. Creek Falcon @ 5/2. Relation Alexander @9/4. Illustrious Prince @ 9/4. The Great Gabrial @ 5/1. 5 x 5pt singles. 1pt Opal above prices = 13pts staked. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary That started great, fell apart soon after & ended alright. I'd met up with another former member of my original racing club Steve at Doncaster who's also joined this latest one, if we both got badges the plan was for me to drive to his house at Sheffield & go on from there to Wolverhampton & this turned out to be the case. Another Original member Graham was also there when we arrived so it was like old times. Things started rather well when Tatting came from last to first off the last bend to take the opener & we'd all backed him, the BOG kicked in with the SP at 3/1. Creek Falcon was up next with the lovely Beth in charge:p Danny Tudhope's a nice enough lad but he's one of those who won't use two words when one will do, it seemed the idea was to follow the pace & cross everything & off they go. The club's got two new horses Dansili Dutch & Marquesa Naranja. Dansili Dutch is a 4yo filly. She started off with David Barron & won a nursery at Nottingham in August 2011 off a mark of 55. She won twice in June last year at Ponty & Donny off 57 & 63 but then went to Andrew Crook straight after & in 14 runs, including two over hurdles she'd hardly beaten a thing home. As a consequence she's arrived at David O'Meara's on a mark of just 40:eek They've not had her long & Beth said she's just started to settle down having looked a bit of a nut job when she first arrived. She's in at Newcastle on Friday on what's probably a fact finding mission & it remains to be seen if she can return to form? Marquesa Naranja is a 2yo filly by Duke of Marmalade out of a Darshaan mare called Renashaan & she makes her debut tomorrow at Beverley. Beth says she's a nice filly & they like her, I've asked for a badge but I'm going to go anyway. Back to Creek Falcon, he's held up in touch but never looks like he's traveling & off the last bend finds nothing & is a well beaten 6th. Danny says he was never happy & has no idea why he's lost his form, not much else to say except very disappointing. Relation Alexander is no better in the next having been backed into 6/4. Graham is sweet on Illustrious Prince in the next & so am I but I'm gobsmacked when the five bookies there open up at 4/1 & he goes off at 9/2:eek I have a little bit more on because that is too big, the stalls open & having been slowly away the lad on him drives him through the field to take it up. Graham can't believe it because he was held up last time & neither can I but he's 2l's clear turning in & then in two strides is treading in treacle & finishes 4th. Graham's having a rant & I have to say I'm not happy either but having said that looking back at it's form he's usually up near the pace & last time was the exception. The Great Gabrial is huge, more like a chaser than a flat horse, he's backed into 7/2f & runs on for a never nearer 4th. I didn't know if we were staying for the later races but Steve fancies one in each of the last two races. There's a 2yo maiden first & I notice that Chorlton Manor is running, this is one from Ponty a few weeks ago that looked well that Mowgli & I had a bit ew on & that just got ran out of 3rd close home. He's run 2nd at Wolverhampton since when I'd not noticed so he seems to go on the track. Going round to have a look he's 13/2 but having checked he's got the right number of legs he's in to 9/2 on my return. He's just over £11 on the Tote & I decide to have a small ew with them. He makes a move off the bend & sails into the lead to win inside the last 100 yards, result & I nearly missed it. The SP is 5/1 & the Tote pays £6.10 for the win & £1.70 the place, a bit less than I could have had but it'll do. I'm satisfied now & just watch as Big Storm Coming who goes off at 11/10 can't do better than 2nd for Steve. He's with Men Don't Cry in the last & looks like he's got one when he hits the front off the last bend but he gets run out of it close home. Very sparse crowd as I expected & while the sun was out there was a strong wind with a sneaky bite to it & there's no doubt now the Summer has gone, at least we had one this year. 38pts staked returns 20pts from the posted bets. W/R 42/232 Stakes 6738.4pts Returns 5752.07pts P/L -986.33pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1145 Noted horses W/R 5-29 Stakes 29 return 38 P/L +9 The crowd go wild as Tatting hits the front 50dr.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Tatting coming in to the winners a1eh.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Creek Falcon fnl4.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Chorlton Manor zoms.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Beverley today where Marquesa Naranja makes her debut in the 2.30. I've got a badge but would have gone anyway, I had it in my head that Beverley was yesterday & it was the last meeting of the season but it was Thirsk's finale yesterday & Beverley's next Tuesday when I can't go so this is my last chance this year. It seems the thought is that Marquesa Naranja is a bit backward & will probably need the run, no great surprise there the yard's 2yo's usually need a run & their overall strike rate with juveniles is lower than with other age groups. All I'm hoping for is she shows some promise for the future, I have backed her but only a small "Just in case" bet. Looking at the race the Favourite is Crowley's Law from Tom Dascombe, she was a couple of lengths 5th of 18 on her debut at Ascot in July & given some improvement she'd take a bit of beating. Rayoumti was last on fast ground at Haydock in June but then ran better in 3rd at Kempton but she looks nothing special. Stoute's got Adore in here for Cheveley Park but she showed little on debut at Kempton last month & looks to be filling the horsebox with his more fancied runner later. The interesting one is Testing from Mark Johnston's, she cost 65,000 Euros & is quite well bred, the stable do well with 2yo's here with a 29% strike rate over the last five years. Normally I'd want a look but I've had a bit on Betfair on Testing already. The opener is a selling nursery, not one to get heavily involved with but Marilyn Marquessa ran fairly well early season & then was tried with blinkers, with no success the last three starts, headgear's off today & Jason Hart takes off a useful 3lb & she's worth a small win & place in a poor race. More 2yo's at 3.00 & while I'd usually want a look Salford Secret has a decent level of form & should be suited by the stiff finish. Apart from Tears and Rain those that have had a run don't look up to much & she's been off since her debut in May. The unraced ones seem to be from stables that don't have debut winners apart from Al Wuseil from Kevin Ryan & he's not fancied in the market. I've stuck Salford Secret in as the banker in one of those trixie perms. The other one I looked at for a banker was Omnipresent in the 3.35. This is the one that will have been keeping Adore company in the horsebox on the way up from Newmarket & got off the mark after a few placed efforts in an egg & spoon maiden at Kempton LTO. The other four all have a better level of form but they all seem to have lost their form a bit lately & I think it's more that that see's Omnipresent heading the market than anything he's done & really he's a bit skinny at 6/5. I'll leave this race alone. Two divisions of 5f handicaps next. In the first I've taken Master Bond who's slipped to a decent mark after a few iffy runs & is now with David O'Meara, might ask what they think his chances are as well. The second pick here is Beau Mistral who seems to be in decent form & the ease in class from the last two starts will help. Ypres is another in good nick & was just held by the progressive Bondi Beach Boy over C&D two runs back, ran well over 6f LTO & the drop back in trip here will suit. The other selection is Holy Angel who's a C&D winner & looked in fair form until running a shocker at Thirsk LTO, forgive him that & he ought to go well on a track that suits. Bets. Marilyn Marquessa 5pts win @ 18.5 & 5pts place @ 5.54 Betfair Marquesa Naranja 2.5pts ew @ 22/1 Betvictor BOG. Testing 10pts @ 7.4 Betfair. Salford Secret @ SP, Master Bond @ 7/1, Beau Mistral 7/1, Ypres @ 5/2 & Holy Angel @ 8/1 4 x 1pt trixie's = 16pts staked Boylesports BOG. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary That turned out quite well again in the end although it was looking a bit iffy at one point. Marilyn Marquessa ran well for a long way & then Tinsill ran away from them all in the last furlong, she did though look like she'd be in the first three everywhere except the last few yards & then she got caught & came 4th. Time to go meet David O'Meara for the first time. Seems a nice chap, quiet spoken but he did tell us we were on a fact finding Mission with Marquesa Naranja & any bets should be small ones. He also said Creek Falcon was alright after Monday but he was that sort that can throw in a few shockers, the tracks been relaid at Wolves as well & it's riding deep, more like Southwell. David Nolan came out then & he said the same & that they've also put some sand in the mix there which is making it slower, I think it's supposed to help it not clump up like it did last Winter when it gets cold. She seemed to run alright for 4/5f's but found nothing when asked & was allowed to coast home, David Nolan said she was very green & David O'Meara then said he'd probably put her away for next season now, she is quite well bred & will need time. The other one I backed here, Testing also ran green & was up with the pace for a long way, she looked a bit leggy actually & could do better next season as well. The Favourite Crowley's Law was given a very confident ride & stormed clear inside the last furlong to win by 5l's. I was wishing I'd put that one in as a banker because Salford Secret was dreadful & never looked like getting involved, he was well backed & was stuffed by 15l's in 8th. The stewards had a word...

The representative of Marco Botti, the trainer of SALFORD SECRET (IRE), unplaced, reported that the colt was unsuited by the track.
So it can run 2nd at Goodwood & Kempton, run decent races at Wolverhampton & Leicester & it can't handle Beverley, erm right:eyes At least I didn't get involved with Omnipresent which was another favourite to throw in a shocker, the port & lemon & gin & tonics must have kicked in by now & the stewards must have been putting up a few Z's when this one ran. We asked David O'Meara about Master Bond "Should run well" he said, he did winning by just over 2l's & I had a bit on with the bookies & covered Beau Mistral as well, it was just over 5/2 the pair coupled. I was thinking about doing the same with Ypres & Holy Angel in the next but nearly fell over when I saw the price of the latter, 7/2 & ended up backed to 3/1jt, I'm not for playing at evens the pair & let it ride hoping for a double from the trixie perm. Holy Angel was held up, got no run & had to switch & then quickened up well to lead in the last 100 yards. That one was 8/1 in the morning & I feel I've missed one there. Still a 71/1 double from the trixie perm, pity about Salford Secret taking a dislike to Beverley. The 41pts staked returned 72pts from the posted bets. I did look at Ponty today but felt like a day off. I'm pretty sure I'll be at Catterick on Saturday, could have asked for a badge for Spiekeroog who's been declared for the 5.05 but I'll give someone else a chance. W/R 43/236 Stakes 6779.4pts Returns 5824.07pts P/L -955.33pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1165 Noted horses W/R 5-29 Stakes 29 return 38 P/L +9 Marquesa Naranja x1p9.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Beau Mistral going to the start ubvi.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Head on shot as Master Bond wins vvii.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Holy Angel returns to the winners l2h2.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I took Lincoln off the noted horses list after he ran 2nd again at Thirsk a couple of weeks ago, first run since at Ayr yesterday & he wins at a reasonable 4/1:eyes Another from the list running today is Disclaimer. I noted him in late April at Doncaster where absolutely hosed up on his Seasonal return having been gelded over the Winter. He then won a slightly better handicap at Kempton in early May & then a two runner Listed contest at Goodwood later that month, both times he was a bit short to back for me but I was on him when he ran at Royal Ascot. That was the Queen's Vase in memory of Sir Henry Cecil & despite racing keenly he came into the straight looking like Tom Queally was pulling double only to fall in a heap when asked to go win. He clearly didn't stay the 2m's & having had three months off he returns here back to 10f's in Newbury's 2.55. He's only a 3yo so there should be more to come & he seems to go on any ground, he can get back on track today. I'm going to Catterick today with Mowgli, he's not been there before, should be interesting. A 2yo maiden to start, they've all had a run & nothing looks a world beater, it ought to be between Missouri Spirit & State Anthem on what they've done so far, I'd probably just go with Missouri Spirit but I'll have a look first. A 10 runner nursery up next & they're going 6/1 the field which just about sums up how difficult this looks, again I'll cast an eye over them first. The 3.20 looks no easier, they've all been running at a lower level, including sellers & this is a decent class 4. See And Be Seen is on a hat trick & at least knows how to win but is up in the weights for that. Mowgli backed Duke of Yorkshire when he won a three runner race at Ripon in July but the front two kept giving it to each other & he was in front when the line came. I keep looking at the bottom one Jebulani but this one left David O'Meara last month after a change of owner & the new trainer doesn't inspire confidence although he'd be more a jumps man. I'm having another go at the trixie perm today & have stuck Red Warrior in as the banker in the 3.55. He likes to front run & has bagged the plum draw in 1 on this sharp track, he goes on easy ground & drops back to 7f's here having not quite seen out the mile he's run over on all four starts. I can see him playing catch me if you can, Dawn Calling could be the danger but might find this a bit sharp. I've had a proper bet on Bayan Kasirga in the 4.30. She looked an improving 3yo since stepped up to this trip & has won two of her last three & unseated Tony Hamilton in the middle run when the saddle slipped. She goes on any ground & can defy the 6lb pen for a good win at Musselburgh five days ago. Ailsa Craig is in form but is going back up the weights for a couple of wins & would need a career best off this mark. Dolphin Village is another that's on a life time high having just won over C&D LTO. The rest look to have a good bit to find. Spiekeroog runs in the 5.05 & is a C&D winner, he should go well actually & I'm hoping that I'm not going to be regreting not asking for a badge. Anyway I'm taking him on with two here for the trixie perm. Zarosa ran well in a similar race to this at Newcastle LTO & is only a 4yo so can find a bit more, the lad on her has been on for both her wins. The other one is Beat the Shower who's been running ok & is a C&D winner & is quite well handicapped here. Two from the 5.40 are Cara's Request who's another well in on old form & carries a pen for a win 5 days ago, C&D winner as well but stall 14 is a worry. Orpsie Boy is a 10yo now but is chucked in on his old form & ran well in 2nd at Wolves last week & is yet another with C&D winning form. I'd normally bail out before the last but I'm quite sweet on the chance of First Class Favour who carries on the C&D theme having scored here four times & is bang in form & still on a nice mark, the slight drop in class will help & stall 6 is not too bad. Bets. Disclaimer 30pts @ 13/2 Betvictor. Bayan Kasirga 50pts @ 3/1 Bet365. First Class Favour 40pts @ 9/2 Coral. Red Warrior 6/4, Zarosa 11/2 & Beat the Shower 5/1, Carla's Request 4/1 & Orpsie Boy 15/2. 4 x 1pt Trixie's = 16pts staked Betvictor, all BOG. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary That was awful, actually thinking about it it wasn't even that good, I had one race where it looked like I might get involved in the finish & that was in the first where I'd had a small bet on Missouri Spirit. He was up around the lead to about 2f's & then didn't pick up & plugged on for 4th & that was about as near as I got. State Anthem won the race by a short head, the first photo finish of three in a row. In the Nursery I went with an ew on Picks Pinta who looked alright & was taken out of the Group 2 Champagne stakes at Doncaster a week ago, he wouldn't have won this if he'd started last week. Mowgli found the winner Al Baz but he did back three of them. Down at Newbury & Disclaimer is held up & then is struggling for room up the straight, James Doyle is pushing away from over 2f's out & he plods on for 5th. I've taken him off the list so I expect him to hose up at a fancy price some time soon Back to Catterick & Jebulani leads but is back peddling from a fair way out, no doubt weighed down by the extra few pounds of mine he was carrying. Both Mowgli & myself were not keen on Duke of Yorkshire here, as we get a spot to watch he tells me that the bloke behind him at the bookies had had £200 each way on Duke of Yorkshire at 6's. He must have been well pleased when he won by another short head in the photo, we were less pleased. Still now my trixie perm is about to start & I have 6/4 about Red Warrior who is backed into 4/5. Dawn Calling though does what I want Red Warrior to do, bounces out into the lead, makes every yard & kicks clear up the short straight to score by a long looking 8l's with another 4.5l's back to the 3rd. Red Warrior is 17l's behind the winner in 7th & the stewards had a word....

The representative of Ismail Mohammed, the trainer of RED WARRIOR (IRE), unplaced, reported that the colt was unsuited by the track.
Now I need Richard Fahey to win the days feature race the Catterick Twelve Furlong Series Final... And he does, yippee, er no not really, it's not Bayan Kasirga who's form now reads...
Held up in rear, pushed along over 3f out, ridden over 2f out, kept on under pressure final furlong, never dangerous
It's the other one Dolphin Village, bugger!! I've two running for me in the 5.05 & they manage 5th & 6th. Spiekeroog runs a good race for 3rd without looking like he'd win. At this point the trixies are dead, I have Orpsie Boy running in the next with the other one a non runner & I'm wondering if I should have a single on Orpsie, Mowgli's not backing in the last two & I think he wants to go & as he's driving that's what we do. Orpsie Boy continues the "In the rear, plods on, comes 4th" sort of a day & bailing out saves me a few bob, perhaps First Class Favour will be one of my "Backed a winner after I've left" horses in the last? Er no, Soon ridden & 10th of 14. Not a day to remember then, 136pts returns nothing. W/R 43/240 Stakes 6915.4pts Returns 5824.07pts P/L -1091.33pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1165 Noted horses W/R 5-30 Stakes 30 return 38 P/L +8 It was looking like a trip to Pontefract on Thursday would be my next day out but I have had a message from Graham who I was at Wolverhampton with last Monday & he has offered me a spare owners badge for Leicester tomorrow where he has an interest in Angels Calling who's running in the 3.30. I have excepted his kind offer & I'm going, it usually takes just under two hours but having finally finished the barrier upgrades on the M62 which have had miles of 50mph limits for what seems an eternity they've now moved on to do the same on the M1 around Sheffield. More in the morning. The only worthwhile picture of the day was a smiling Samantha Bell & Dolphin Village returning to the winners u75n.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A trip to Leicester then, not going to go mad betting wise, there's nothing that would be a bet at a stand out price so I'm playing three short ones in a trixie that look like they've the one serious rival & two picks from two races backed as each way doubles. This should give me an interest through the card:hope & hopefully pay for the petrol. Just the 18 runners in the opener, a 6f nursery, I'll probably have a bet on something when I've had a look at these. The 2.30 is a 3yo+ maiden. Saddaqa & Hassle have had a few goes but set the standard, Obstacle was a decent 2nd on debut at Newmarket in June but nothings franked the form & why has he been off three months? Again I may have a punt on something after look, maybe a newcomer? Back to 2yo's for the next & I'm hoping that Joey Haynes can have an half an hour or so to remember. It's a tidy little race this for the Standard, Almuheet won on debut at Newmarket for which he has a 5lb pen, that was at 7f & I'm wondering about the drop back to 6f for one that should get much further on breeding. Intermath is fairly usefull but looks exposed, Invincible Strike also carries a pen for a debut win at Hamilton & this is a step up. Storm Trooper is another with a pen for winning over 5f at Sandown on fast ground & would need a fair bit more. Kuala Queen looks out of her depth on what she's shown so far which leaves Stars Above Me who ran very well for 2nd on her only start at Goodwood on softish gound over this trip. That's a fair level of form & with a bit of expected improvement she must go well here getting the sex allowance & Joey Haynes taking off his 5lb claim. Angels Calling runs in the seller at 3.30. She's no world beater but is pretty consistent having won twice & been placed twice from eight turf starts & she is better on grass. She won a small handicap at Ffos Las two starts back but was a bit disappointing at Warwick in another small handicap LTO, that was on fast ground though & the drop to a seller on good ground should suit & Joey Haynes claims the 5lb again. She looks to have Truly Madly to beat, her sole win was at Kempton but she's had plenty of places on turf & this is a fair old drop in class here. The other one with a squeak is Marsh Dragon who also drops to this grade for the first time having had a couple of Yarmouth 2nds over a furlong less than here in the past. Not super confident with Angels Calling but it would be rude not to have something on her. In the 4.00 I've taken two against the field that ran quite well LTO. Fitz Flyer is hardly consistent but ran well enough at Ascot LTO & Commanche who is consistent, has been running well without winning & was just held at Donny LTO. There were 18 in here, what's the betting that there's another non runner to add to the two that have come out already? The 4.30 looks between Juvenal & Mandy the Nag. The former seems to have lost his way this year & was dropped to a claimer LTO with no success, possibly the surface at Wolves didn't help there but I'm not sure he wants this far either. You need to forgive Mandy the Nag her last run at Haydock but before that she was in good form winning twice in three starts & I'll go with her. The two I've taken in the 5.00 are Rainbow Beauty who's on a hat trick having scored at Wolves in November & when returning at Sandown 24 days ago, unexposed & more to come? The other is Knight Owl who won well at Nottingham LTO after a run of places. Bets. Stars Above Me 7/4, Angels Callin 5/2 & Mandy the Nag 5/2, 2.5pt Trixie = 10pts staked, bet365. Fitz Flyer 9/1 & Commanche 9/1 with Rainbow Beauty 9/2 & Knight Owl 13/2 in 4 x 2.5pt ew doubles - 20pts staked, Hills, all BOG. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I rather enjoyed Monday at Leicester, nice to be involved without actually been involved, if that makes sense:p Anyway not a bad run down with no real delay through the 50mph zones on the M1. It's quite a nice set up at Leicester, the owners & trainers is modern & there's a lawn in front of the stand which is a good area to watch from as it's bang in line with the winning post. Having had a look at the runners for the opening nursery I decided a have a bit on Sefaat & Hanagan at 8/1, she ran a good race for 3rd beaten a neck & a half length & I ought to have each way'd her really. Graham likes to shout them home & was getting excited because he'd backed Inspiriter of Godolphin's at 16's but that was the neck 2nd to Got to Dance which I couldn't have fancied. He had the winner in the 3yo+ maiden that followed though with Hassle in the first time paint rollers. I was looking for something to beat that one, the perennial runner up Saddaqa & the jolly, Obstacle who's form looked nothing much. In the end I went with Godolphin's other debutant Great Fighter, who looked ok & Summerfree, also FTO & looking well, this one cost half a million:eek Great Fighter never looked like getting involved & plodded on for a never nearer 6th. Summerfree made the running, which I don't mind with a Johnston horse, but rather fell in a heap about 2f's out & faded back to 8th which was still better than Saddaqa who was 10th, Obstacle was a poor 5th. I did think I might put Summerfree on the list but looking at it again the winner looked less than enthusiastic in the last furlong & still won by 2.5l's from two 50/1 shots & I've decided that the race was a bit naff, cue winners from all over! We decided to have a drink & actually watched the 3.00 in the O&T's bar. Stars Above Me broke well & led but was fighting for her head in the first couple of furlongs but then Joey Haynes got her more settled & she still had something left in the tank when asked a furlong out to go win which she did by three parts of a length. Our turn now so down to the parade ring. Angels Calling is a nice looking filly, no Karl Burke or former trainer Mrs Karl Burke with her just two girls who said she'd been going well. Just as Joey Haynes came out another young chap dashes up looking a bit flustered, he's got a share in her too & introduces himself as Johnathon & tells us he's just got here having driven down from Cumbria after two hours sleep because he'd just worked a night shift, been there got the tee shirt. Later on he tells me he's driving back after the racing, I thought I was a sandwich short of a picnic. After congratulating Joey for the win in the previous race he tells us the plan is to race handy & try to go for it a furlong out. He seems a nice lad actually, very well spoken. Anyway it went pretty much to plan except she might just have hit the front too soon & she hung right a bit in the last half furlong & came 3rd & she was racing away from the front two who were awarded a dead heat. Good run though although I think Graham was slightly disappointed & then comes the bing bong stewards enquiry. To be honest I didn't see a lot wrong, the front two came together but it looked like six & two three's to me but the G&T brigade decided that Richard Hughes on Admirals Walk had carried Marsh Dragon to the right close home & chucked him out & placed him 2nd. If I'd been involved with Admirals Walk I'd have been steaming, I've seen far worse than that & only half joking we said it was so they didn't have to offer both horses up for auction. We then returned to the bar to finish our drinks & watched the next in there again. This seemed to be the thing to do because Graham cheered home the first two having backed them both... Or so he thought because after checking his piece of paper with his bets on he realized that he'd only backed the runner up & was going to back the winner at the track:sad What can you say? I had the 3rd from my two runners so the each way doubles still had a chance. I needed Mandy the Nag for a double in the trixie's but she never looked like winning. Graham bailed out to get a taxi to the train station at this point but I thought I might as well stay & watch the two I had running for me in the next & ended up with the winner & the 3rd. No winning double then but I did have two place doubles. Rule 4's involved again but Knight Owl did go off at 8/1 so the BOG got a bit of the deductions back. The return was 39.72pts from 30pts staked so on posted bets I was actually in front. W/R 44/242 Stakes 6945.4pts Returns 5863.79pts P/L -1081.61pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1195 Noted horses W/R 5-30 Stakes 30 return 38 P/L +8 Possibly at Ponty tomorrow with Mowgli but yet to confirm. Creek Falcon is entered in another seller, this time at Ripon on Saturday, I'm pretty certain I'm going anyway but I will ask for a badge if he runs. Dansili Dutch is in three races at Wolves, two on Friday & the other Saturday but I can't do any even if she gets in one. Not much action with the camera again but here's the finish to the first a4ot.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Angels Calling in the parade ring mn57.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Pontefract this afternoon where I have one major fancy, three that I ought to get a run from & a couple of 2yo maidens, one of which where I'll be looking to take on the favourite if something takes the eye beforehand. That race is the first & the jolly is Torchlighter. Didn't show a lot at 6f FTO on fast turf at Lingfield & was beaten nearly 10l's. Last time though ran much better on good to soft over 7f at Yarmouth, only going down by a neck having made the running & battling on well. I'm not sure dropping back to 6f on faster ground here is going to suit, albeit a stiffer track, I think he might try to make all & set it up for a finisher. What that is I'm not sure, Three Cliffs is out & the the three that have run from the other ten didn't show a great deal on their debuts. My Target goes for Bin Suroor who has a reasonable record with 2yo's here, as does Haggis who runs Soviet Courage. Alan Swinbank also has a fair record here & has Smart Alec but Mighty Force's trainer Nick Littmoden's record with 2yo's is dreadful. I'll have a look. With the no hoper Ding Ding out the nursery is down to four. Shirocco Passion is up 13lb for a soft ground Redcar win & has the added burden of Barry McUsless. Flora Medici has had six weeks off & is up 4lb for her hat trick bid & going up in class again. Mutatis Mutandis won a Donny maiden around six weeks ago but nothing franked that form yet, has won at the trip though. Tender Emotion has also been off around six weeks since winning a Kempton maiden & at least winners have come from that race, ought to get the mile & I'll go with this one. Ypres should like the faster going a bit more than last week but Holy Angel won well enough that day & I'll take this one to defy the 6lb pen in what looks a race lacking depth. Las Verglas Star won the 4.05 last year off 5lb more but prefers a bit of juice & this looks stronger than last year. Ottoman Empire seems to prefer the aw & Awake My Soul looks to be in the handicappers grip. Redact hasn't won since his first two starts as a 2yo in July 11 & goes up in trip having looked hard to place. Spifer goes fresh but is another that looks hard to win with & Muharrib while liking the faster ground better than York's softer surface LTO might not get home on this stiff track. That sort of leaves Ennistown as the choice a bit by default but he looks progressive, has won at the trip & while he's up 8lb & might just like it a bit softer he did win on fast ground three runs back. More 2yo maidens in the 4.40. Arantes & Act of Charity both improved to run 2nds LTO after meeting on debut at Goodwood where the latter was a place & three & three quarter lengths in front. They have the best form of the ones that have run & Man of Harlech probably looks the likely of the pair that haven't. Again I'll have a look first. The one I'm sweet on is Showboating in the 5.15. He was a C&D winner on fast ground three starts back & has run well enough on slower surfaces since, the last run was at 7f. Evanescent dotted up last week at Ayr but that was over 7f on much softer going & from the widest draw draw of all in 11 wants taking on here back at 6f. Gold Beau & Lothair have both been in winning form but on their last runs the handicapper may have them both now. Back to 6f on faster ground can see Showboating win this. Bets. Showboating 30pts @ 13/2 Betvictor. 1pt lucky 15, Tender Emotion 6/4, Holy Angel 11/2, Ennistown 3/1 & Showboating 11/2 Stan James, all BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Busy yesterday & I'm going to Ripon today with an owners badge for Creek Falcon so I'll have to round up Ponty & today later. Creek Falcon runs in another seller at 2.45. This looks even weaker than the one at Wolverhampton last week but he was disappointing there. I'm hoping it was the surface which is riding much deeper & slow since been relaid. He's back on good going on turf & wears a first time visor as well, he's also down to 6f's here & while his best trip is probably 7f he did run quite well at 6f's at Ascot in May. I'm thinking that he's going to be up with the pace & try to run the legs off them maybe. On figures the Racing Post have him 13lb clear of Chunky Diamond who's 2nd rated & we're 5lb better than him on official numbers. Our Jockey Josh Doyle is attached to the yard & claims 7lb, he's had 12 rides & has yet to have a winner, here's hoping it's lucky 13 for him:hope He ought to win but then he should have ran better LTO, I'm not backing him at 11/8ish & have everything crossed. Jacob's Pillow should be winning the first but is around 1/2 to do so, I might play in the 3.15 which is a tight looking nursery where it's hard to rule any of the six out but I want to look at them first. I've taken two against the field in the 3.45. I've seen Chooseday run several decent races this season including in the Great St Wilfred consolation race here two runs back & while he's not won at Ripon he has run well here a few times now & it's a track that not all horses like. He ran well enough in the Silver cup last Saturday, is dropped a pound & the lad on him takes off another 5lb. Not a big field but box 8 is a decent draw. The other one is Seeking Magic who looks progressive, has won two & placed twice from just four starts since April & should handle the track having won & run well at Goodwood & Epsom, ground should be fine too. I've backed those two in singles & ew doubles with Discay in the 4.20. He's in form having been just held off this mark at Hamilton six days ago, most of these look like they might have had enough for now, apart from Aryizad who won LTO but that was a weak race. I'll probably stay for the 3yo+ maiden at 4.55 to see if anything takes the eye but I'll swerve the last. Bets. Chooseday 7/1. Seeking Magic 7/1. Discay 10/3. 3 x 5pt singles 2 x 5pt ew doubles = 35pts staked, Stan James BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary An enjoyable couple of days in the main, helped by the nice weather on both. Having got to Pontefract & met up with Mowgli we had a wander round & noted that Soviet Courage opened at 11/2 for the first. After a look at them in the parade ring I'd decided that the Godolphin runner, My Target looked on the small side & that Soviet Courage looked quite nice, I'd had a go at the place pot to small stakes with these two in the first. Smart Alec also looked well, the favourite, Torchlighter looked just a bit leggy. Torchlighter used the long legs to good effect to storm home 7l's clear of an 80/1 2nd with Smart Alec another 1.5l's 3rd. Soviet Courage & My Target were 5th & 6th. Smart Alec should win a race but I won't note him. Out of the placepot on leg one with the inevitable happening, one placed in the next five legs!! Tender Emotion won the nursery in good style. He was last of the four, albeit close up till Barzalona shot him round the other three before the turn in to the short straight & he quickly powered clear. Not sure what he's beaten or how much he'll go up for this but he looks pretty smart. Holy Angel ran a fair race for 4th & might just need it a bit easier. I thought that Ypres was going to do the usual trick of winning here after I'd backed it in defeat LTO but he got nutted on the line by the veteran Oldjoesaid, if it stays fast under foot & on an easier track Ypres can win before the season ends. Mowgli backed Croquembouche who led & was eight to 10 lengths clear round the bottom bend at 6f's out & then came back to them up the hill & we were both thinking he'd done too much in front when he kicked again off the final bend at the 2f pole & looked like he'd kept enough to win until Ennistown swept past 50 yards out to win rather cleverly in the end. Having viewed the runners for the 2yo maiden I'd decided I didn't like Man of Harlech who looked like he might need it. The best two were Deep Resolve & Tizlove Regardless & I had a small bet on both at 9/1 & 22/1. Deep Resolve was never traveling & was a long way last but the other one led for a long way but was grabbed off the last bend & plugged on for 4th. Act of Charity won easily but I wouldn't note anything. I needed Showboating now to come out on the right side for the day but while he ran well for 2nd having drifted to 7/1 he couldn't get near Evenescent who won pulling a bus despite the furlong less & the very different going, this ones going to get clobbered by the handicapper for these two wins. The lucky 15 bet returned 16.5pts for the 45pts staked on the day. On to Ripon where I rather slipped up actually. Having left the first alone, where the long odds on Jacob's Pillow got turned over I ended up backing Creel Falcon when he went 3/1 before going off at 5/2. He was in touch & asked for an effort just over a furlong out, which were the instructions the lad on him had been given but he didn't pick up till too late & then ran on a bit late in the day to take 3rd. The bloke that actually owns them was there & thought that Josh had got him in the wrong spot & he was been lent into by another runner but I didn't think he'd done anything wrong, he'd ridden to instructions, the horse wasn't good enough & has lost his form. As I said before I'd have made more use of him, ay oh. Nothing really stood out on looks for the nursery & I went with Fair Flutter who was a reasonable price. He ran alright for 2nd but Greed is Good was far too good for these & might go in again if the handicapper doesn't go mad. Choosday was absolutely shocking in the next, backed into 5/1, walked out of the stalls & never got involved. At least twice I heard the PA bloke ask for Kevin Ryan or his rep to report to the weighing room & he was there because I saw him in the O&T's bar but there's nothing in the stewards enquiries or why they ran badly reports on the BHA site. Seeking Magic finished fast to grab 3rd to at least leave me with a place double chance. This is now where I slipped up, there was some 5/1 available on the first shows for Discay, I didn't take it & went for a look, when I came back he was 7/2 & then went 3/1 "Watch this win" I thought. He did, despite getting murdered at the furlong pole & rather cleverly too. Still at least that gave me a single & a place double. At this point I decided to bail out thinking I'd probaby back something in the maiden to make up for not backing Discay The return was 41.67pts for 35pts staked. W/R 47/248 Stakes 7025.4pts Returns 5931.96pts P/L -1093.44pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1225 Noted horses W/R 5-30 Stakes 30 return 38 P/L +8 Torchlighter bounds clear c8mt.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Tender Emotion in the winners 4wva.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us For some reason the Chelsea Pensioners were there & gave away the huge trophy zxyd.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Ennistown 8tqv.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Ennistown sweeps past to win 55uw.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Showboating ready to do a spot of DIY after tf2d.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us The Hooded Claw & Mowgli's favourite stable girl gv6c.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us King of Macedon coming back in 39c1.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Creek Falcon 1glr.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Greed is Good 2cma.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Discay in the winners 7c7i.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A run out to Redcar today where they have their big meeting of the season. I could have applied for an owners badge because we have a runner in the first, in fact we've had two other runners this week & I've not asked for badges for those either. I didn't really fancy the ride up to Newcastle on Wednesday or Hexham yesterday, the cards offered little in the way of punting action & while Spiekeroog ran 2nd at Hexham I didn't really fancy either of them to win, especially Botteen who was having his first start for us & who dropped out very tamely. The runner today is Ryeolliean a 2yo gelding by Haafhd who makes his debut & is likely to need the experience, David O'Meara's not really one for FTO 2yo's & I'd just like to see him show a bit of promise. I've not backed him as yet but I'll probably have a tiny ew or a win & place on Betfair when the market settles "just in case" Erroneous is the rather short jolly at 2/1 on his debut 2nd at York in late July but he was beaten 5l's that day & where's he been till now? Alisios ran alright at Leicester LTO & should go well but he's only 11/4 There's Smart Alec in here that looked quite well & finished a 9l's 3rd at Ponty last week. I didn't add him to the notebook but he should come on for that run & the extra furlong will suit, he's around 12/1. I want to have a look at them first because it's 10/1 bar the front pair & I'd rather have a small ew on one at a price. The scatter gun's out again trying to pot some ew doubles & I have three running for me in the Straight mile final at 2.15. Swiftly Done is a C&D winner should go well under Jason Hart who takes off 3lb, he'd probably like it a bit softer but is in form. So is Ingleby Angel who's going for a hat trick having won over C&D & at Haydock & is up 4lb for the last win, he goes on any ground & I like the draw in 17. The third one is No Dominion who was just behind Swiftly Done here two runs back & is 2lb better off, might need it to fall his way a bit but that can happen in these big fields. Those three are coupled with two in the big 2yo race. Emirates Flyer was 2nd to Kingman at Sandown LTO, the bare form might not be much but he's run quite well at Ascot twice & the likely strong pace should suit. The other one is Trading Profit who despite being last at Newbury in the Mill Reef wasn't beaten far & will like the faster ground here. Both have high draws which I'm hoping is the place to be. After the big race the card reverts to the more usual Redcar fare with a seller. Bling King won a 10f claimer at Leicester when I was there the other week & he didn't last home at 12f's in a better race at Hamilton after that, he should be thereabouts in this class. I'll also go with Sunnybridge Boy here who wasn't beaten far by Auto Mac in a similar race LTO & can turn the tables on that one. These two are paired with Lothair in the last, bang in form, nice draw in 12 & drop back to 5f shouldn't be a problem. In the 4.35 I have Barren Brook, he hasn't won for over two years but he's on a nice mark & I like the booking of Freddie Tylicki. Fran Berry looks a good booking as well, he's on the 3yo Dance King who seems to be progressing having won a maiden LTO. These two go with Willbeme in the 5.05. She won a couple for me last year & seems to be coming back to form with a 2nd at Nottingham on Wednesday, another high draw so I hoping I've got that right. 3x2 plus 2x1 & 2x1 that's 10 each way doubles. The main hope for a single is Casper Netscher in the Listed race at 2.50. He returned from his flop at stud with a cracking 2nd in the Group 2 Lennox stakes at Goodwood. He probably "bounced" on his next run in another Group 2 at Newbury after that but ran back near his best, again at that level in the Park Stakes at Donny. He's well down in class here & really ought to be winning this with the main danger Top Notch Tonto who's a 3yo & as to give him weight for a Group 3 win LTO. The rest are handicappers trying to pinch some black type, again Freddie Tylicki rides & he'll do for me. Bets. 10 x 2.5pt ew doubles as above = 50pts staked. Casper Netcher 55pts @ 11/4 Stan James BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I rather enjoyed yesterday, despite the scattergun only winging the target & a couple of let downs. It was most pleasant in the Autumn sunshine & as I've said before I like the layout at Redcar, you can get to & from the Parade ring to the stands & then to the winners spot dead easy with gaps through the stand or round the end of the stand with no restrictions. It's not a bad run up the A1, A19 & A174 either & the proper car park is excellent, shame the racing's a bit naff most of the time. Having looked at the 2yo's for the opening maiden I decided that I'd have a small win bet on Smart Alec with a little bit more on the place market & along with a place bet on Ryeolliean who also looked quite nice. The other good thing about Redcar is the 3g signal is excellent so there's no bother getting on Betfair. Smart Alec was a let down & it was clear he wasn't getting involved from a long way out. Ryeolliean ran a promising race though & a 6th of 17 beaten about five & a half lengths & finishing well is not a bad debut. There's plenty of stamina on the dam's side so a bit further will suit & I'm hoping he runs again before the end of the turf season & I'll try for a badge next time. Having had a look at the runners for the 2.15 I'm walking back round to the front of the stand & there's Ascot on the big screen, there's commentary but it's a bit muffled & I can't really hear it but I don't need telling that it's Hot Streak that's hosing up having been another one on the list that I've dropped recently, 9/2 as well, not chuffed:( A few minutes later & I'm happier because David Bergin gets Ingleby Angel up on the line by a Short head & I'm off & running. He got seven days for over use of the whip & I got 2.36 in the place market for a small bet too. Now I need Casper Netscher to win, when I wander back round to the bookies he's 13/8 & that's a big change from 11/4. Before the off he drifts out to 2/1 & he runs well for 2nd to Top Notch Tonto who's clearly a smart gelding as he should be getting 2lb from Casper on the WFA scale but is actually carrying 3lb more because of his Group win penalty. There's 4l's back to the 3rd & the form of the front two should hold up & if Top Notch Tonto runs again before the season end I might be interested. After that let down I could do with Emirates Flyer or Trading Profit landing the big 2yo race, of the pair I liked Emirates the better going round & they're around 11/2 joints until Emirates just goes off as favourite at 5/1. Looking at the place only prices I can get just over 2/1 for them both, in the morning some bookies were going a quarter & four places, there's only three places on Betfair but the odds look acceptable & I back them both to reasonable stakes. This race I watched from the viewing roof on the end of the stand, hence the photo of the finish & then nipped on the balcony on the back of the stand to snap the winner coming back down the walkway. Unfortunately it wasn't one of my two, Trading Profit was disappointing but Emirates Flyer ran a smashing race & only found Ventura Mist a neck too good. At least that got me some place only returns & a place double from the other bets & he was coupled with a non runner from the 2.15 so there was a place single too. The sellers up next & the more I'm looking at it the more I'm thinking Bling King for this with Kevin Stott taking off 7lb, he looks alright going round & 3.6 to win on Betfair is taken. He wins pulling a bus & I'm wishing I'd had a bit more on as you do! Still I've got him coupled with Lothair in the last. Barren Brook gets 3rd in the 4.35 & if Willbeme can place in the 5.05 then that would be another place double. She's in touch to halfway & then beats a fast retreat, nothing there then. Now I'm thinking do I stay for the last or do I get out of the car park before the rush? Bail out it is & it's probably a good job because Lothair runs an absolute shocker & is stone last of the 12. I had 13/2 from the morning, there's one non runner which was an outsider anyway & it goes off at 7/2 & not a bloody peep from the stewards. They were awake because they asked about Eland Ally who was 7th but come on surely they should have asked about that run? Anyway the 105pts staked returned 20.47pts from the posted bets. W/R 48/250 Stakes 7130.4pts Returns 5952.43pts P/L -1177.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1250 Noted horses W/R 5-30 Stakes 30 return 38 P/L +8 Ryeolliean rjzx.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Ingleby Angel ottu.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Casper Netscher 1hfu.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Top Notch Tonto & connections wqf5.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us The finish to the 2yo trophy 7hj1.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Ventura Mist on the winners walkway zs5l.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Bling King & the babyfaced assassin Kevin Stott bzge.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Barren Brook zt4a.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary The final two days of the season at York today & tomorrow & I intend to do both which will give me the full set for the year. Two non runners so far so just the 18 to sort out in the opening nursery. While I'd want to have a look at them before having a proper bet there's three that stand out on form here. Musical Comedy was beaten a neck by Kickboxer at this trip & on similar good to soft ground at Haydock LTO, he's a pound better off here so there shouldn't be much in it but Kickboxer is due to go up 16lb for an improved/flattered? run in an Ascot Group 3 last week at 5f & even if that wasn't as good as it might look on paper I still like the Haydock form. The other one to note for me is The Hooded Claw who I saw looking quite nice on debut back in May at Ripon but ran a shocker & was sent straight to be gelded afterwards. Since he's returned he's gradually found his feet & ran a cracker in 5th in the big 2yo race at Redcar last Saturday. It's a bit like Kickboxer in that he's going up 11lb for that but again is he flattered by the run? I think he might like these big fields & the ground on the easy side. I'll take Kickboxer & The Hooded Claw in some small stakes trixie's with.... Jamaican Bolt, Dungannon & Pearl Blue in the 2.30. Jamaican Bolt's been on many peoples list of ones to follow but he's only run twice & been taken out umpteen times because of the fast ground this Summer. Having run well enough at 6f at Donny in late March he then wasn't seen again until mid September at Yarmouth back at his favoured 5f where he ran alright & that should have him spot on here. Pearl Blue won this last year off 3lb less & is similar to Jamaican Bolt in that she prefers it soft & has only had three runs this year as well. The latest of those was when I was at Leicester the other week where she got some traffic problems & did well to finish 4th with Kyleakin Lass in front of her in 2nd. Again that Was Pearl Blue's first run since late May & she can go well here & reverse that form with that run under her belt. I can't leave Dungannon out, he's come back to form the last twice & is up to 94 now but he won off a pound more two years ago & Oisin Murphy takes over from Jimmy Fortune & knocks off 5lb, goes on the ground & must run well. For a banker I have one from my list in the 2yo maiden at 3.40. Again I'd usually be having a look first but I was quite taken with My Inspiration on her debut over C&D a month ago. She was very green that day & ran quite well in 5th & since then as just been short headed over 6f at Haydock, drop back half a furlong shouldn't be a problem. City Zen has slightly better form having run 3rd in the Listed Roses stakes here at the Ebor meeting but then not so good in a Group 3 at Ayr LTO on good to soft at 6f, I think she's there to be shot at. Galvanize did a lot better at Haydock LTO having played up in the stalls & ran a shocker in the York race that My Inspiration also was in in & might run well. Royal Connoisseur improved on his debut run as well when just held at Catterick but would need to find a good bit more here & the others look out of this. I've got My Inspiration at 9/4 with Kickboxer at 7's & The Hooded Claw at 8/1, along with Jamaican Bolt 6/1, Dungannon 6/1 & Pearl Blue at 9's in six trixie's. I have asked for a bet at 3.45 on Betfair for My Inspiration but I don't think I'll get matched & will take the sp. In the mile handicap at 3.05 Graphic has been in fine form & followed up two wins by running 4th in the Cambridgeshire off 3lb less. He likes to be up there but is drawn wide in 16 & if he tries to get to the front may do too much & set it up for one. I'm hoping this is Rockalong who looked very progressive early in the season but has been a bit in & out since landing the hat trick at Ascot in May. He did though return to form LTO at Newmarket back at this trip having seemed to find 10f's too far on the softish ground here the run before. In a race where there are plenty of useful but exposed types he may have more to come & is worth a bet. I'm looking for a similar sort in the 12f handicap at 4.15. The two 3yo's Elhaame & Van Percy take the eye. Elhaame won twice at 10f's & then was a good 2nd at this distance at Ascot last time but is up another 2lb for that & is a stone higher in total than for the first of his wins, should go well but I'm thinking the handicapper might have him now. Van Percy won a similar race to this at Haydock in May & has run well in some very good 3yo handicaps since, including two runs back on this going in the Melrose where the extra 2f's was probably too much. Back to 12f's LTO at Newmarket & found some traffic problems when 3rd there & I think he may have a bit more improvement in him yet. I'm definitely Looking at the runners before the other 2yo maiden at 4.50 where there are 16 in & nothing's pulled any trees up on runs so far. I'm thinking I may bail before the last which is an apprentice race with 20 runners, I see that Evanescent is in here & is up a stone from the win at Ayr & 8lb from the romp at Ponty a couple of weeks ago. Oisin Murphy takes over from Robert Winston but can't claim anything in this apprentice race, I think something will prevent the hat trick but what that might be I don't know. Bets. 4 x 1pt trixie's as above = 16pts @ Betvictor. Rockalong 25pts @ 8/1 Hills. Van Percy 25pts @ 7/1 Boylesports, all BOG. My Inspiration 65ps @ 3.45 Betfair, take sp if unmatched. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I shall do a two day round up, probably tomorrow because I'm pushed for time as usual. There's one main fancy for today & that is Excellent Result in the 2.20. This has the the look of an improving 3yo & he won an Ascot handicap at this class LTO but if anything it looked a better race than this. He's up 5lb for that but what I like is the drop back about a furlong & a half because he races quite keen & 12f's is probably just his limit. He ought to handle the ground alright & there should be still more to come. Back to the scatter gun for the rest of the card. Along with a single I've coupled Excellent Result with two from the big sprint at 3.30. The first one is Hallelujah who's a very consistent mare & she won a C&D Listed race on pretty much the same conditions LTO but she has soft ground form anyway. The other one is Louis the Pious who was 2nd in this off 3lb lower last year & was runner up in the Ayr Gold Cup LTO. In the opener I've taken Butterfly McQueen who has soft ground form & she was 2nd in a Listed race in France LTO, Thomas Brown takes off a handy 3lb. The other here is Thouwra who's discovered how to win in the last couple of months having racked up a string of places, probably needs a bit more but seems to be progressive enough now. This pair are coupled with Rufford who won nicely enough on fast ground here on debut in June but then rather disappointed afterwards until a cracking 2nd to stablemate Supplicant in the Group 2 Mill Reef at Newbury LTO. That was on soft & despite the debut win I think he needs it on the easy side, gets that & a drop in class today & must run close. The 2m 2f handicap has two picks. Bin Singspiel seemed to like the step up to 2m at Newcastle when winning LTO & if he goes on the ground can improve again. Bowdler's Magic is more the returning to form type & has run well on both starts since moving to David Thompson, he's probably been bought to go hurdling again but has won off this sort of mark before & is a fair price in a tough race. If I've got through that race there's just the 20 runner closer to solve & the sole pick here is Berlusca, not because of any real fancy it's just that he won well last time out, is still only a 4yo so maybe more to come & really that's where the pin landed to be honest. There's a 2yo maiden at 4.10 where those that have run look nowt special so I'll have a look & perhaps have a stab at a newcomer? Bets. Excellent Result 15pts @ 6.4 Betfair & 20pts @ 5/1 Bet365 BOG. Butterfly McQueen 11/2 & Thouwra 4/1 with Rufford 4/1. Excellent Result 5/1 with Hallelujah 9/1 & Louis the Pious 11/1. Bowdler's Magic 14/1 & Bin Singspiel 9/2 with Berlusca 14/1. The above in 2.5pt each way doubles = 30pts staked, various bookies all BOG. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I've really enjoyed the last few days at the racing so it's a great pity then that I can't say the same about the last two days at York, even then there were a couple of amusing moments, depending on how warped your sense of humour is though I suppose but in the end I walked off the track thinking pretty much the same as I did last year "I'm wasting my time here" I can see how some people get affected by this SAD, seasonal affective disorder where you get depressed as the season's change, dark mornings, night draws in quickly & cold with it. I wouldn't say I get depressed but Saturday especially was enough to put a downer on most things, chucking it down when I got up, drizzling most of the time after but at least not at the track but the worst thing was it never got to what I'd call proper daylight all day. They've changed the screen that they have on the end of the stand for what looks like an HD one & at one point an advert came on & both Mowgli & myself thought that they'd turned some floodlights on somewhere. Anyway back to the subject. Friday... Not as dull but definitely cold & I was glad I'd wrapped up well, crossing the track there was a fair old wind blowing which was down the course & they'd be running right into it up the straight. The excellent Graham Orange who's the paddock commentator at all the Yorkshire tracks & who could give lessons in how to conduct an interview both before & after a race without being a condescending pain in the backside like a few I could mention was doing a punters panel with Lydia from Racing UK & Dale Gibson both of whom are also far better than the usual Bookies PR men & over hyped TV pundits that usually get dragged out. Dale was thinking the same as plenty, including me that Kickboxer & The Hooded Claw ought to be involved seeing as they were going up 16lb & 11lb for their last runs. I decided I'd have a stab at the placepot, a few lines to small stakes & stuck the pair in the first, they were 10th & 11th. I feel a bit sorry for connections, especially of The Hooded Claw who's yet to win a race & I can't see how either of them can win a handicap off those marks now. Will the handicapper drop them by as much as he's stuck them up? Not on your nelly he won't. At least Kickboxer has won a couple of races & I suppose that The Hooded Claw will win a soft maiden somewhere at some point, even if it's on the aw or next season but anything decent I doubt it. The one slight glimmer across the two days was deciding that Aeolus was the pick of the parade ring & having a small win & place on Betfair because it's pretty much all down hill from here. I've three running for me in the sprint up next, I have a bit on each on the place market & Pearl Blue manages 3rd with Jamaican Bolt 7th & Dungannon only 11th. The place bet only covers the other two & now the trixies are dead in the water. Rockalong is a bit short to back for a place only in the next but for a few strides as he hits the front 3f's out it looks like he might do better than the 3rd he ends up with. Ryan Moore rides a peach on Graphic in not trying to grab the lead & sails past with plenty left in the tank to score in some style. What a shame then he's less than brilliant on My Inspiration in the next. Galvanize who was behind her on debut plays up a bit on loading again but comes out of the stalls like his arse is on fire with Moore not as quick away & according to Mowgli the Racing Post's scribe that does the race reports thought he gave her too much to do, he's not the only one because so do I & while I'm not for a minute saying she should have won she should have been much closer. My mate Barry McUseless manages to get City Zen over the line in front by a neck, looking at the head on replay she drifts left & I'm thinking there might be a stewards enquiry but there's no bing bong, however late on they give this out.

The Stewards held an enquiry into possible interference inside the final furlong. Having heard their evidence and viewed recordings of the race they found that the winner, CITY ZEN (IRE), ridden by Barry McHugh, had interfered with GALVANIZE, placed third, ridden by Jamie Spencer. The Stewards found McHugh in breach of Rule (B)54.1 and guilty of careless riding in that he allowed his horse to drift left causing interference. They cautioned him as to his future conduct in races.
Good job Galvanize wasn't 2nd because they might have taken it off her, I still don't see how he gets a warning though when there are others getting stood down for less to me! Van Percy is backed into 4/1f, he's drawn wide over this 12f's so I'm expecting him to be dropped in & he is, right at the back. The problem now is they're dawdling & do so for the first mile & he's still at the back as they turn in. It's no surprise that's he's caught flat footed when it turns into a sprint & even less of a surprise that he finishes full of running in 5th. The winner is Lahaag which is bloody annoying because I've backed that one a couple of times this season. The time is the slowest against the standard of the day & over two seconds slower than anything else, I'm tempted to say that you can't win held up in a race like that but Lahaag was held up too, except that he went off the favourite for the Lincoln & would have the pace to come off a slow run affair. Looking at the 2yo's for the second maiden & I decide I like Penhill & Bold Captain & have a bit win & place on both. Penhill does best in 6th having been well up there. I watched the race by the rail near the winning post & on the big screen it shows Rangi Chase the well backed jolly at the start & he's wet through, I'm absolutely frozen by now & I can't believe he's got that sweaty, he runs alright for 2nd but is beaten by Mayfield Boy for Mel Brittain who's having a pretty dreadful season & that was his first 2yo winner of the year. That's me away, Evanescent finds eight of them two good for him off his new mark in the last though. Apart from the one early glimmer with Aeolus the best entertainment of the day is down to the Sheepdog Maisie, who in human terms is eighty years old, herding some geese on the track between races & best of all Jack the falcon. He was behind the parade ring all day with some owls & the handlers & then they had him down in front of the stand to do his turn, except he wasn't playing. He just sat on the ground while the bloke whistled for him & did bugger all, finally when he'd got right up to him he hopped onto the glove & then he says I'll chuck this bit of meat up for him to catch. Er no I won't thinks Jack & the meat hits the deck, exit Jack & the handler to a smattering of sympathetic applause, not only the four legged beasties that make you look daft is it. Saturday. The star of the day is the fish & chips from the shop near where we park. At least it's not chucking it down but like I say it's barely daylight. Like some punch drunk fighter I decide to have another bash at the placepot, after all I can't do any worse than yesterday can I? You want to bet, Butterfly McQueen manages 8th & Mowgli & myself are looking for Thouwra who's not come down the straight. I'm hoping he's not gone in because if he's a non runner I'm still in because I'd be on the favourite but then they show the replay & he gets 2f's & then pulls up lame. I'm hoping he's alright but that sets the tone for the day. Now it descends into farce, the two Godolphin runners are late in the ring, the stewards ask why...
The Stewards held an enquiry to consider why OUT OF BOUNDS (USA), ridden by Kieren Fallon, trained by Saeed bin Suroor and EXCELLENT RESULT (IRE), ridden by Robert Winston, also trained by Saeed bin Suroor, entered the Parade Ring after the signal to mount had been given. They interviewed the trainer’s representative and having heard her evidence they accepted her explanation that two members of her staff were attending to a horse injured in the previous race.
Fair enough except that's not what happened. Just before the bell in walks number 14 Excellent Result, Fallon dashes over to the lad with him & they take him straight back out to the saddling boxes. The horse was a chestnut, the racecard shows that Excellent Result isn't a chestnut, Out of Bounds is though. They've saddled them up wrong & are now running round like the Keystone Cops changing them over, the clerk of the cousre walks in the ring with a big daft grin on his face & then they give it out that they'll be going straight to the start with the permission of the stewards because they had to be resaddled, yer right, at least they noticed before the race. Excellent Result flatters briefly 3f's out & then folds up to come 4th, the other one is stone last & probably needed the 16lb less he'd have had if they'd not noticed the mistake beforehand. The mood is hardly lightened when I watch Astaire beat Hot Streak in the Middle Park at Newmarket, 8/1 & 5/1 with a forecast of £44+ I decide to back Rufford in the next now the doubles bit the dust, Mushir looks quite nice though but I don't back him. Mushir wins, Rufford doesn't, I want to go home. I back Louis the Pious & Hallelujah win & place in the big sprint, the former is bang there till the last furlong then fades but Hallelujah gets 3rd & covers the bets. Mass Rally wins the race, what a pity he didn't do so last year when I backed it off 4lb less & he was stone last!!!! It can't get any worse except I then back Pallasator win & place in the Cesarewitch & he's bang there till the last furlong but looks nailed on for a place & then ends up 5th beaten a neck. Premium Pressure looks the part in the 2yo maiden but I can't get matched at 7/2ish on Betfair & we walk up to the betting ring where he's 5/2. I'm ready to down tools but notice he's £4.60 on the Tote, ah what the hell I have a bit on expecting it to pay £2.60 if he wins, he doesn't, he's 3rd. The winner is Patenar who's also making his debut & he scores in some style & could be useful. I've still a chance with two running for me in the next & one in the last in a doubles bet. Bin Singspiel runs alright for 6th but the search parties are still out looking for Bowdler's Magic. It doesn't matter what happens to the one in the last now & we bail out because Mowgli's having a mare as well. I'm expecting Berlusca to have won the last when I look at the result later but he's only 9th. Nothing from the posted bets then, that's 196pts down on the two days, ouch!! W/R 48/258 Stakes 7326.4pts Returns 5952.43pts P/L -1373.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1270 Noted horses W/R 5-30 Stakes 30 return 38 P/L +8 Just to kick a bloke when he's down the 2yo Ryeolliean that debuted at Redcar the other day is declared for Newcastle tomorrow along with another new horse of the clubs called Botteen. Midweek, two runners, nailed on for a badge except Tuesday is the only day of the week when I can't go racing, £$&%$ or words to that effect. Aeolus qk3o.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Graham Gibbons floats to earth in the winners a0br.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rockalong going to the start 6ql4.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Graphic with Ryan Moore nearly cracking a smile id9f.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us My Inspiration eot8.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Lahaag qa76.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Jack still doing bugger all djup.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Seek Again scooting clear e99x.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rufford & the whistling blonde 1q5i.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Mass Rally ejn2.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary

Just to kick a bloke when he's down the 2yo Ryeolliean that debuted at Redcar the other day is declared for Newcastle tomorrow along with another new horse of the clubs called Botteen. Midweek, two runners, nailed on for a badge except Tuesday is the only day of the week when I can't go racing, £$&%$ or words to that effect.
& Ryeolliean absolutely hoses up by nearly five lengths, any other day of the week & I can go:wall:wall:wall I had a bit on him "Just in case" & the other one, Botteen (12th of 13) so all was not lost but I am well brassed off, just what I need then, a trip to Wetherby. I've been looking at how things have been going & have decided that I've been guilty of looking for too many bets when I go racing & have decided to revert to my old way of backing the ones I really fancy in singles only, however having got used to going racing on a regular basis I'll be backing other selections in something like a lucky 15 to give some betting interest through the card. I'll be keeping these in separate returns & will reassess where I am in the new year. I have one strong fancy for today, Blackwater King in the 3.25. Having won a point in Ireland he made his debut around this time last year for Donald McCain in a Carlisle bumper where he was 2nd & then filled the same spot on hurdles bow at sedgefield. Both times he was a bit keen & still was when winning next time at Kelso by 10l's but he settled better when a good 2nd on his handicap debut at Doncaster between Xmas & the New Year when I was there & this race has worked out well with the 3rd, 4th, 6th & 7th all winning races afterwards. He then fell at Bangor when traveling well in front in February & hasn't been seen since but he's only a 5yo & I'm hoping there's plenty more to come from him this season. Big Water looks the other progressive type in here but just looks like he lacks a change of gears at the finish. Strongly Suggested is in form but is up in the ratings for it now in a stronger race than he's been winning. Tinseltown has been in decent form on the flat & is a duel C&D winner but is another one on a career high mark. The handicapper looks to have anchored Coverholder for now & the rest look exposed or out of form. I took the 7/2 before Lightening Rod came out & I see the Rule 4 fiddlers are at it again with a few shortening that ones price to 11/2 after it's come out. The last odds with Betvictor on oddschecker were 6/1 & if I win & get done for 15p at 11/2 I'll scream blue murder. Blackwater King 45pts @ 7/2 Betvictor BOG. Nellie Forbush has the best hurdles form in the opener but it's still nothing to shout about & this may be between Mixed Message & Eton Rambler who both have fair flat form. I'm going to go with Eton Rambler who has winning form at 10 & 12f's while Mixed Message's best form is at a mile & less. The 2m chase at 2.50 should be a cracking race to watch with a stack of front runners but is not a race to get involved with betting wise for me. The 2m 4.5f handicap chase at 3.55 is also a nice race. Grandads Horse rather flopped on his handicap bow at Market Rasen LTO but that was a big jump up in class & he looked progressive up to that. Dorset Naga has won his last two but is up another 9lb & 19lb from the first win & it's a slightly better class here too. Tara Rose is also on a hat trick having won a Listed race at Cheltenham at around today's trip when last seen in April. A 4lb rise for that seems fair enough & this is a biggish drop in class here, it's usually about this time of the year when the yard gets into top gear & she'll do for me. Wild Card has to give all bar Red Eye 7lb for winning at Towcester in April but can do so, the step up to 2m 4f should help where as I'm not sure that's what Three Kingdoms wants & there doesn't look a lot of depth to this race. The 5.00 looks between Susquehanna River & Long Wave & both have fair hurdles form but Charlie Longsdon is firing in the winners & the more recent runs of Long Wave may just give him the edge here. The last race sees the return of Bourne who won three times for my old racing club but never when I was there, although he probably should have won at Newcastle in February 2012 when a less than inspired Jason Maguire ride saw him get beat a head by Spiekeroog of all animals:eyes The lad that works for Timeform that part owned him is now down as the sole owner but he never turned up to watch him or indeed Red Merlin who he also part owned, at least he didn't when I was there anyway. I'll stay to have a look at him but will probably leave before the race because it can be a bit dodgy getting away from Wetherby after the last race. What I aren't doing is backing him but he is down to his last winning mark which was the day after Boxing Day at Kempton last year. Eton Rambler 11/4. Tara Rose 9/2. Wild Card 15/8. Long Wave 15/8. 1pt Lucky 15 Betfred BOG. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I'm at a loss what to write about Wednesday at Wetherby so I'll just put that I'm far from happy, mainly with myself but other things too & I'll leave it at that. The lucky 15 had a non runner & returned 1pt for that. W/R 48/259 Stakes 7371.4pts Returns 5952.43pts P/L -1418.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1285 Noted horses W/R 5-30 Stakes 30 return 38 P/L +8 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 15pts Returns 1pt P/L -14pts I'm having a run out to Catterick tomorrow but have been looking at Champions day at Ascot. I have a couple of bets there & a lucky 15 with three at Catterick & one at Ascot. In the Catterick opener I'm with Fly Solo who's not got many miles on the clock & goes well on soft ground & fresh too & is back from a break here. He was a good 2nd over C&D on his seasonal return in April & got off the mark at this trip at Thirsk on soft ground in May. Not beaten far when last seen at Carlisle later that month & the break & the return to this sharp track can see him return to form. Down at Ascot the 3yo Eye of the Storm can make good use of the WFA allowance in the 1.45. He's already got some smart form, will handle the soft ground having won on heavy & fast ground & he's won at the trip. On official ratings he's well in here, of course he needs to step up again but looks well capable of that, just wondering about the jockey because I don't know that much about him but having a look he's had plenty of rides & had over a hundred winners in Ireland the last five seasons. He's only had six rides over here in that time & won on three of them with nearly £150k in win prize money so he can't be a mug. In the Catterick 3.40 Judge 'n Jury can go well from a stands side draw & will handle the ground better than a few of these. He's not won since June last year but has been generally running at a better level than this & did run a good race in a Listed event at the St Leger meeting last month, a return to that form & he'd be not far away in this. The "Was in the notebook but now isn't" Just Paul who's managed to win five times this season without me backing him once (perhaps that's why?) is lumbered with the pick in the 4.15. He's a C&D winner & goes with cut, he's up 5lb for a win LTO but Eva Moscrop, who owes me one (Ooh er missus) after the cock up on Dr Irv earlier this season takes off 7lb. He is a bit out with the washing in 14 but he looks the progressive one in the field. 1pt Lucky 15 Fly Solo 12/1 Eye of the Storm 7/1 Judge 'n Jury 16/1 Just Paul 6/1 Bet365 BOG. For the rest of Catterick. I'll have a look at the 2yo's in the 1.55 but Sandra's Diamond is looking like being long odds on. There may be a chance of a bet in the 2yo maiden at 2.30, the two with the best form are Gilbey's Mate & Ronya but James Tate is four from just seven runners here the last five season & two from two with 2yo's so Bint Malyana is interesting on debut. I can see me backing Mohawk Ridge in the claimer at 3.05. He has course form including a close 2nd in a handicap LTO, he might be skinny but looks the part here. Down at Ascot again & I'm sweet on Dalkala for the 3.55. These are her conditions, she had a career best performance when winning the Prix de L'Opera LTO & she is a real battler, Talent looks the one to beat but she's a fair price to do so. I was looking at the QE11 last night & couldn't believe the price of Kingsbarns, 20/1 is an insult for a colt that still could be anything, alright he has questions to answer after running a shocker on his belated return on good ground in the Irish Champion stakes last month but I was hugely impressed with him at Doncaster this time last year & back on soft ground he's worth a punt to prove he has trained on after all. There's more than him with question marks, Dawn Approach for one after a flop in France LTO. Will Soft Falling Rain go on the ground? Olympic Glory will but he looks held by Maxios on Moulin form & he'd be the one I'd be backing but for the Kingsbarns price. Gordon Lord Byron will be stretched to get a mile & while I liked the way Top Notch Tonto won at Redcar this is a right old jump in class. Elusive Kate struggles against the boys & the rest don't look up to this. Bets. Dalkala 40pts @ 9/2 Boylesports BOG. Kingsbarns 10pts @ 20/1 Hills NRNB. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary With prices up for the Catterick claimer this morning Mohawk Ridge was generally 2/1 with 9/4 the best price so I was quite happy to get matched at 3.5 on Betfair. However no sooner have I got on than chief market rival Western Prize has been taken out, the intention was to play again at the track at around 5/2 if available but he's a best of 7/4 now so I'll have to see how I feel at the course. The more I look at the first race at Ascot the happier I am that Eye of the Storm will run well, with 7/1 & a quarter the odds at Bet365 I've taken an ew single there as well. That would just leave me with a possible play in the Catterick maiden at 2.30. Bets. Mohawk Ridge 20pts @ 3.5 Betfair. Eye of the Storm 20pts ew @ 7/1 Bet365 BOG. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Not a complete disaster yesterday, certainly better than Wetherby on Wednesday. It was clear that there'd been plenty of rain because there were puddles by the roadside driving through Catterick village & in the car park too, It's strange that the Racing Post results page has it that there were showers & the going was changed to heavy after race three. Now the latter was certainly true, they did give that out but as the old boy next to me by the parade ring commented "Why's it taken them till now to work that out, it's not rained since the racing started"? He's right & up to me leaving after the 4.15 it still hadn't. I was expecting Fly Solo to make the running & he was too keen held up in midfield, he tried to close coming down from the back straight but was running on empty by then. Watching the first at Ascot on the big screen it looked like Eye of the Storm was there with every chance but he just couldn't get past Harris Tweed who having seen mine off got nutted on the line by Royal Diamond. Still he got 3rd to land a place return. Sandra's Diamond landed the 1/3 in the 2yo novice where they were strung out like 3m chasers with 8l's to the 2nd & another 4.5l's to the 3rd, I think with the first race also won by 5l's that somebody ought to have twigged that it was a bit testing out there! It took Gilbey's Mate winning the maiden by 6l's till the penny dropped. Having looked at them before I decided I'd have a small bet on Giant Samurai at 13/2, he looked well enough & had run in a warm maiden at York in July where he wasn't unfancied & indeed he was backed into 4/1 here. He was in touch until halfway & then dropped right out & beat one of the nine runners home. Dalkala was a let down at Ascot in 4th having looked hold a chance turning in & maybe the run came too soon after Longchamp. I didn't back Mohawk Ridge again in the claimer, he opened at 6/4 & was backed down to 11/10. Once more they were strung out like washing with the first three margins being 13l's, 19l's & 8l's. By now it was clear that it was pretty bad out there & any chance of a win was probably at Ascot. Kingsbarns ran a cracker in 3rd & left me wishing I'd each way'd him & I had a small bet on Maxios at 4/1 & afterwards I was wishing I hadn't because he never looked like getting involved. Judge 'n Jury was one of four non runners in the big race at Catterick, which went to Even Stevens. Down at Ascot I had a bet on Ruler of the World & he ran well enough for 3rd. I stayed to watch Just Paul run an absolute shocker in the 4.15, which was won by Showboating who I'd backed LTO at Ponty & was just the 12/1 here:eyes It seems that the stewards asked & that Just Paul was unsuited by the ground. Eye of the Storm returned 55pts for the place & there was 1pt back from the non runner in the Lucky 15 from a total of 115pts staked. W/R 49/260 Stakes 7471.4pts Returns 6007.43pts P/L -1463.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1305 Noted horses W/R 5-30 Stakes 30 return 38 P/L +8 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 30pts Returns 2pts P/L -28pts Pontefract have their final meeting of the season tomorrow, I may go but have not had a proper look as yet. Sandra's Diamond romps away 66k5.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us & heads back into the winners xbch.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Nothing else in the picture as Sherman McCoy dots up i39v.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Even Stevens coming back in usew.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary In the end I decided against Pontefract on Monday so there's another one to say goodbye to till the Spring. I also gave Doncaster the swerve yesterday but I'm going today for a decent enough card. I've had a couple of bets & a lucky 15, there are also a couple running today that if they win you will probably hear me screaming in frustration. The first of these is Rufford in the opener, I actually managed a win with him on his debut at York in June but he's let me down a couple of times since, including last time back on the Knavesmire & he never seems to run two races together. On his Mill Reef run from two starts back he'd take a bit of beating here but he is now looking rather exposed & there are a few more progressive looking ones in here. Brave Boy was in front of Rufford in that latest York race & I'm thinking that they're hoping the softer ground might help him turn that round. Stubbs rather flopped in the Coventry & hasn't been seen since, fair form earlier though but does have to give them all 3lb. Aeolus takes a deserved step up in class after dotting up in a Chester maiden & then winning a York nursery in style & the runner ups won twice since. I've gone with the once raced Night of Thunder though, he also hosed up in a soft ground Goodwood maiden a couple of weeks back. The bare form is nothing but he ought to improve for the run & might be owt (or nowt) He's in the lucky 15 only. In the 2.40 I'm with Ennistown, a progressive 3yo who won for me at Ponty LTO. He's up 4lb for that win but he did it a bit cheeky for me that day & there should be more to come. He goes on any ground & has won at this trip. Thomas Hobson is another 3yo on the up & with soft ground form, he's 6lb higher for a Goodwood win LTO & should go well. Centered is yet another 3yo but I'm thinking that he might not be suited by the ground here. The one that would really have me screaming if it wins is Van Percy. I was on this one last time at York when he finished like a train having laid too far back off a slow pace, He's got soft ground form too & he looks like one of those that needs it all to fall right for him, let's hope it's not today!! As yet I've not played in the now 20 runner 5f sprint, I suspect there may be more come out of this yet. I may play the place market on Betfair, then again I may just find a telly & watch the Old Roan at Aintree & the Persian War at Chepstow instead. For the Racing Post Trophy I've gone the tried & tested route of O'Brien & the once raced maiden winner that's seen him land the last two runnings. Century ought to go on the ground, in fact he might even be better with a bit of juice & he was supplemented for this earlier in the week. So was Kingston Hill who's two from two & the latter was a Newmarket Group 3, he goes on the ground & should run well, not keen on the jockey though. Pinzolo is also unbeaten in two starts but at a lower level, goes on the ground but I prefer Century. All of Somewhats form is on good or much faster, the Royal Lodge 2nd is decent enough but he's a bit more exposed than the usual winner of this. The rest don't look good enough on what they've done so far. I've played the place market as well as the win on Century. Torchlighter was very impressive when winning his maiden at Ponty LTO & 85 seems a fair enough mark, he has soft ground form from a close Yarmouth 2nd. Ryan Moore is interesting on Roachdale House for Fahey when Hanagan is on Regiment who would seem to be the stable second string. Comino might go well after been highly tried in the big Redcar sales race LTO, did it well enough on debut at Thirsk before that on softish ground. I'll just have Torchlighter in the lucky 15. Bets. Ennistown 20pts ew @ 7/1. Century 40pts @ 9/2. Night of Thunder 9/4. Torchlighter 7/2. 1pt lucky 15 prices as above, all Hills BOG. Century 20pts to place @ 2.28. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Having posted recently that I'm glad I don't suffer from this SAD I'm actually starting to wonder, I certainly wasn't full of the joys of Spring leaving Doncaster on Saturday & with the clocks having gone back I'm writing this on what's supposed to be a lighter morning! It might as well be the middle of the night out there, it's chucking it down but at least it's not blowing a gale, yet! Two meetings are off with waterlogging & they're going to have a second look at Redcar later. The racing club has two runners there today, neither of which look any good on what they've shown in a couple of runs for O'Meara & I wasn't going to go anyway & it would be a quiet week until the two day Charlie Hall meeting at Wetherby on Friday/Saturday. The way I'm feeling about that place at the moment I don't think I'd be too fussed if it keeps banging it down & it gets called off, the berk of the course has probably got the taps on as I write though, just to keep it on the easy side! Back to Donny which started off alright with Graham Orange interviewing Frank Bruno by the winners spot before the first. He was there doing some stuff for the Help the Hero's charity & seemed to be in good form, he's always looked smart big Frank & was most dapper here & he got a good reception. The racing started off alright too with Night of Thunder looking most impressive in landing the first, he could be pretty smart too, certainly on easy ground & he's now a best of 20/1 for the 2000 Guineas but there's a long way to go before then. It didn't take long for things to go pear shaped. Ennistown was backed into 4/1f & spent the first half of the race trying to pull Barzalona's arms out of their sockets, he hit the front at around the 3f pole, which was a bit early for me anyway & then unsurprisingly went straight into reverse gear. The winner was Thomas Hobson, just hanging on on the line. At least Van Percy did the decent thing & was only 5th. Now what interests or should I say irritates me here that the stewards decided to have a word about Centered who'd led at a steady pace till 3f's out & then beat one home. The explanation was that she hadn't handled the ground, fair enough & they asked but what narks me is that the G&T's & port & lemon's then kicked in & they must have nodded off for later events but I'll come back to that. At this point I headed off under the stand to watch the Old Roan at Aintree & a good race it was too. However this was spoiled by the dickhead not far from me who was clearly on Viva Colonia & Danny Cook. As they come to three out he's urging Danny to hang on to him a bit longer, no problem there, the problem is that as they head to the last this changes to "Hit him Danny, hit him" Not once but time & time again, all the way to the line & he's never going to get better than 3rd all the way up the run in. There's only one thing that wants hitting & it's not a horse, moron!!!!! Back outside to watch Dungannon win the 5f sprint at 16/1. This one's won three of it's last four, the duck egg was when I backed it in a trixie at York the time before & it was out with the washing:eyes Having said that I've probably backed most of the field at some point or another & this time I left the race well alone & I keep saying it but I must give up with these races & it paid off here. Anyway it's the big race up next. They all look well enough before hand, having said that it was hard to see what the O'Brien runners looked like until they took the three, yes three:eek rugs off them before the race. What's all that about? Is it cracking the flags over in Ireland & they were worried it was going to be a bit nippy over here? I got a spot down by the parade ring to watch, Century had been 9/2 on first show as I headed to the pre parade, I couldn't see the boards but he was showing at 13/2 on the big screen, I'm sure he had four legs going round! He goes off at 6/1 & is beaten before halfway, tailed off, beaten 46l's on the official result which to me should read pulled up. This brings me back to the stewards, are they now sleeping off the G&T's & port & lemons? This is a horse that was vying for favouritism in the morning, drifts like the Kon Tiki, that they'd paid £17k to put in the race, runs an absolute stinker & can we be bothered to ask why? Yes I'm talking through my (empty) pocket but surely it was worth a question? Kingston Hill was impressive & is now a best of 10/1 for the 2000 Guineas & the same price with just the one firm for the Derby with most firms having him shorter . If I'm fed up now then I'm even more brassed off when Torchlighter folds up like a cheap deckchair having led & hanging all over the place. Time to go home :sad Just the 5.5pts from Night of Thunder then. W/R 49/263 Stakes 7571.4pts Returns 6007.43pts P/L -1563.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1315 Noted horses W/R 5-30 Stakes 30 return 38 P/L +8 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 45pts Returns 7.5pts P/L -37.5pts Redcar has fallen to the weather while I've been writing this. Big Frank xfmy.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Night of Thunder sjf2.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Century fj9u.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Hoping to get to Wetherby again Rio. Looks a fair Charlie Hall if they stand their ground and although the Hurdle race has had to be re-opened i reckon that might be a good renewal if the trainers are to be believed. See you there mate:ok

Hoping to get to Wetherby again Rio. Looks a fair Charlie Hall if they stand their ground and although the Hurdle race has had to be re-opened i reckon that might be a good renewal if the trainers are to be believed. See you there mate:ok
We are off to the Betfair Chase at Haydock hoping to see Bobs Worth. I meant to mention it to you Graham as they were doing BOGOF on tickets so it worked out at £9.90 each plus delivery. Wasn't sure if you had seen it. I was hoping to go to the Charlie Hall meeting but I've got a ticket for Crewe away now. :( Rio - We need to find you a 2 horse race at Wetherby so you can back both and break your duck. :loon

Hoping to get to Wetherby again Rio. Looks a fair Charlie Hall if they stand their ground and although the Hurdle race has had to be re-opened i reckon that might be a good renewal if the trainers are to be believed. See you there mate:ok
Looks half decent at this stage, we shall see. I note that the going is good, good to soft in places, 6.7 both hurdle & chase courses according to the Post website. I would assume then that Wetherby has been moved into it's own eco-zone seeing that it's done nothing but lag it down for days on end & I'm just 20 odd miles away. Bangor, Leicester & Redcar all off yesterday. It's heavy at Catterick & Ffos Las, soft, heavy in places at Yarmouth today. Sedgefield's Soft, good to soft in places & Stratford heavy on Thursday. Newmarket's soft & Uttoxeter soft, heavy in places Friday. It seems that it's chucking it down over everywhere in the UK apart from Wetherby! Oh hang now I see why..... v89l.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Rio - We need to find you a 2 horse race at Wetherby so you can back both and break your duck. :loon
Perhaps that will be the West Yorkshire hurdle. Last year it was worth over £18k to the winner & prize money down to 6th, obviously not worth sending anything for it this year then:eyes

Re: Rio's Racing Diary The sun is out (at the moment) so a ride out to Wetherby today. While I've had a bit of punting interest this looks more of a day for clues for the future, none more so than the first two races which is now two divisions of the novice hurdle that last year was won by African Gold. He went on to win his next three starts & then was a cracking 2nd to At Fishers Cross in the Albert Bartlett before ending with another more than decent run in the Liverpool hurdle behind Solwit. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th all won races afterwards as well so I'm interested to see how they go today. The first leg contains the hot pot Oscar Rock who's now with Malcolm Jefferson having won a Listed bumper at Newbury on his last start at Newbury in February & has been moved from Harry Fry because the owners live up North. Jefferson's the stable in focus in the RFO this week & he sounds quite bullish but then you'd expect him to I suppose. Paul Nicholls runs Vide Cave who debuts for him having come over from France like so many of his do after winning his sole hurdle start in May. He's got to give them all 7lb for doing that which makes it a bit harder for him. The couple that have had a hurdle run don't look up to it on those runs & the rest are coming here from bumpers or points & would look up against it on the face of it. If Oscar Rock blobs I'd expect to see some very long faces afterwards, he's a best price of 1/2 & if he does fail then it won't be because I've backed him. The second leg ought to throw up some interesting ones with runners from Nicholls, Pipe, Henderson, King, Vaughan, Tim Easterby & last years winning trainer Twiston-Davies. Fairwood Massini has been running through the Summer & winning handicap chase's & a handicap hurdle but the bonkers system means he still qualify's for a novice hurdle here! He has the best level of form but only because he's had hurdle runs where most of these have had the one run at best, he's also been running on faster ground than today & I would expect there to be even more long faces around if he wins this. Famousandfearless has won a point but flopped here in a bumper when odds on in April on debut for Pipe having pulled far too hard, he's got to be better than that you'd think but I'm not paying to find out. Rally won the second of his two bumpers in Ireland & is now with Henderson, he's had a hurdle run a month ago at Uttoxeter where he was a bit disappointing in just 5th. He ought to come on for that but will need to in this field. Unknown Legend won an Irish Point but was pulled up in a bumper there on heavy ground back in May, he's now with King & makes his debut here & I'm not sure what to make of this one. Vivaldi Collonges is another Nicholls French bred but hasn't had a run, on breeding I'd think he'd need a bit further but who knows? The others look to need to find a good bit on form so far which leaves Master Rajeem. He won two small bumpers from three goes for Alan Swinbank last season & now runs for last years winning trainer Nigel Twiston-Davies & a new owner. The stables going quite well as usual at this time of the year & he's the one that interests me here. The handicap hurdle at 1.40 looks fiendishly difficult. Pippa Greene is better off at the weights for the 10l's he was behind Tidal Way at Bangor four weeks ago but would need to settle better. There's plenty with ifs & buts about the ground & can they return to form, such as Zafaranger who's changed stables & is back hurdling after a spell chasing but I think this is a leave alone event. The Listed handicap chase at 2.10 is a nice race. Most of these are returning from a break apart from Sergeant Pink who's in form but up in class & Easter Meteor who flopped on his return at Cheltenham two weeks ago. Cantlow seemed an improver till upped in class for his last run at Aintree in April after a break. Mon Parrain looked like he could be anything when in first landed here from France in March 2011 but then he flopped aferwards & hasn't been seen seen March last year. Mac Aeda likes the track but might find one or two too good at this class. Duke of Lucca's not on a bad mark but probably needs further. Green Wizard is another upped in class, Humbie goes well fresh but is also aiming a bit higher. I'll go with Noble Legend who while he's also up in class too won a class 2 LTO which was actually worth twice the money for the winner that todays race is. He's also just a 6yo so is open to more progress, the ground should be fine & this is his trip. The Listed Juvenile hurdle that follows is also a nice race. This was won by Sametegal last season & he ran well after & was 3rd in the Triumph hurdle itself. Apart from Hazza the Jazza I'd give a chance to all these & it should be a good race to watch for future pointers. The 3m 1f handicap chase at 3.20 is a bit of a drop in class but might have one to take on in Orange Nassau. He's not exactly prolific having only won twice from 25 starts in France & over here but he did win by 12l's LTO. He's been stuck up 12lb for that but it was a bit of a nothing race he won & he's struggled off marks this high in the past. He might dot up but then again he might not so what to take him on with? Baltic Pathfinder seemed to find a bit of form at Hexham four weeks ago & has won off this mark in the past, he could run well. However I'll go with Palos Conti who won this race three years ago but has only run four times since (won one) He was quite well backed on his first run for Brian Ellison after a layoff at Perth in September but that was a better race than this & ought to have blown the cobwebs off now. The win in this race was impressive & he seemed to have retained his ability when winning at Sedgefield in April & he's worth a go to return to form here. I won't stay for the last. For betting interest I have a 3pt patent with an extra 3pts on each single. Master Rajeem 7/2. Noble Legend 8/1. Palos Conti 4/1. 3pt patent plus 3x 3pt singles = 30pts staked, Betvictor BOG. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Charlie Hall meeting day two. This has the look of one of those cards that are full of short priced ones & that usually ends up with one or more letting things down. Now I had thought that At Fishers Cross might fall into that category in that he might not be fully wound up at this stage with bigger fish to fry later on, however he is a non runner now having suffered a cut leg which sort of alters things a little. Still I'll carry on with the plan which was to have a couple Wetherby trixies, a dart at the placepot & another go with the patent plus singles at other meetings. To run through Wetherby first then. The opening novice chase looks between Mendip Express & Sixty Something. Mendip Express fell at the last in a Wincanton novice hurdle when held in 3rd & trained by Paul Nicholls on his only run under rules. That was just over two years ago & since then he's been pointing with plenty of success for Richard Barber & now fetches up with Harry Fry, If he jumps ok he will go close. Mowgli & myself have a bit of history with Sixty Something. He caught Mowgli's eye when just out of the places in a decent handicap hurdle when we were at Haydock in February & then won NTO at Market Rasen. He ran alright at Aintree in another good handicap but seems to be in the handicappers grip in that sphere so a go at chasing seems the obvious move. He'll go on the ground stays well & has McCoy on top. Sixty Something for the placepot & he goes in the trixies too. With a clear round AP should get at least place on Gone Too Far in the novice hurdle up next. With Francisan out Gassin Golf has the best hurdles form of those with a run & actually sets a fair standard. Varom & Lemony Bay are the other two with decent bumper form but I'll stick Gone Too Far in the placepot on his own. The last two winners are in the Mares hurdle at 1.50 but this looks a stronger race than those two. I have this between L'Unique & Cockney Sparrow & the former beat the latter by 12l's at levels at Aintree in December last year. As well as the 8lb swing Cockney Sparrow has improved since then, especially in the jumping department & she's also race fit having won on the flat in September. L'Unique also progressed though & ended up winning the big Juvenile hurdle at Aintree. I can't split them so both go into both bets. The next race is a 2m limited novice handicap chase. I've never been able to understand how you can frame a handicap when some of the runners have never jumped a fence in public? Answers on a postcard please.... It's down to four runners so IF I'm still standing in the placepot I need the winner & of the four only Dartford Warbler & the favourite Valco de Touzaine have had a chase start with one each! The jolly looks one to take on for me & if he was trained by A N Other & not P Nicholls I doubt he'd be the market leader on the form from the Newton Abbott novice. Fair Trade & It's a Gimme both have decent hurdle form, although the latter has a bit to prove having pulled up the last twice but if he does take to fences I doubt they'd see which way he went. Anyway I'll go with those two. Having said I was thinking At Fishers Cross might be one to take on I'd ended up with Medinas who has smart form from winning the Welsh Champion hurdle & the Coral Cup & Trustan Times who's won here & the Fixed Brush final at Haydock. Tidal Bay's been far more consistent since moving to Nicholls from the over rated Howard Johnson but returns from injury & is rising thirteen. Across the Bay has a bit to do at these weights. So to the Charlie Hall. This revolves around Long Run & can he win FTO? If he's anything like he wins, I don't see how anybody can crab his form, 26 runs, 14 & 12 places. Never out of the first three & he gets no credit in some quarters, neither does his jockey & I'll say it again there are far worse than him that are supposed to be professionals. Unioniste is the obvious danger but for me his form is not cast iron & he has to bounce back from a pretty poor run in the RSA. I don't think Benefficient wants this far & reading Malcolm Jefferson in the RFO Cape Tribulation is warming up for another go at the Argento in January. The interesting one is Harry Topper who had Benefficient behind him when winning at Newbury on the middle leg of a first three chase starts hat trick before unseating at Kelso & then getting hampered & brought down at Punchestown when last seen in April. He's only a 6yo & there could still be more to come from him this season. Long Run goes in the placepot & the trixies. Down at Ascot in the 2.10 I'm with Greywell Boy who's another 6yo that can make further progress & who was just a neck behind Fairy Rath over C&D LTO. Better off at the weights here he can get back on the winning track. In the Listed handicap hurdle at 2.45 I've gone with Pine Creek. I was taken with him at Doncaster in February & he ran a fine race in 5th in the Imperial Cup at Sandown after that on ground that was probably a bit too testing. I have him down as one to keep an eye on this season & providing the goings not too bad at Ascot he should run well. In between is the Jnwine.com Chase at Down Royal. The admirable Sizing Europe has another go at 3m's & while he's clearly top class I just don't think he'll quite get home again. Kauto Stone won this last year beating First Lieutenant a length & then lost his form again, it looks like the time to catch him is FTO but I think First Lieutenant has improved a bit now, ought to be spot on for the run a couple weeks ago & can take this race this time. Bets. Sixty Something 5/4. Cockney Sparrow 3/1 & L'Unique 7/2. Long Run 11/8. 2 x 2.5pt trixies = 20pts staked. Greywell Boy 6/1. First Lieutenant 11/4. Pine Creek 13/2 3pt patent + 3x 3pt singles = 30pts staked. 8 line placepot at 1pt = 8pts. ​Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A two day round up from the Charlie Hall meeting. First thing to note....

The sun is out (at the moment) so a ride out to Wetherby today.
About half an hour after I wrote that the clouds had rolled over & as I set off it was starting to rain & that sort of set the standard for the two days, especially yesterday where it kept changing every few minutes. Oscar Rock looked the part before the opening novice & duly won as an 8/15 shot should, despite making a bit of an horlicks of the last. I was quite impressed & the bookies have him in all the markets for the novices at the festival with 25/1 the best for the Supreme (least likely) 10/1 for the Neptune & 12's for the Albert Bartlett. There's a fair way to go yet & I'd want to see what else appears on the novice scene before getting involved, to be honest I don't think he beat much & I certainly wouldn't note anything else from the race. Actually I was just as taken by the performance of Rally in the second division, ok the time was two seconds slower but he was dossing around in front after the last & he was probably worth a bit more than the 2l's back to Vivaldi Collonges & there was another 26l's back to the consistent Fairwood Massini in 3rd. The layers were not so impressed though & apart from one quote of 33/1 for the Supreme he doesn't seem to be in any of the three ante post markets. Master Rajeem was well backed & well beaten, Sam Twist was at him from a long way out & it was clear he was never getting involved. The decision to swerve the handicap hurdle was a good move, the 16/1 shot Hartside gave Peter Winks & his Son? their first winner with a full licence & they got a generous round of applause for that after. I watched the race down by the last hurdle in a brief lull from the rain & it looked for all the world like Pertuis was going to win but he curled up near the line, he hit 1.04 in running & while I may do some daft tricks backing in running is never going to be one of them. Noble Legend won the best turned out for the handicap chase:eyes I would love to know the record of those that win this because I'm not the only one who thinks it's the kiss of death judging from from the numbers of groans that I hear when it's given out. He was going quite well turning onto the long bend out of the back straight & then was going backwards faster than the Italian army entering the home turn. Ultimate won this having scored on the flat at Catterick a couple of weeks back. I was a bit fed up at this point but then the 3yo's came out for the next & I have to say the Royal Irish Hussar looked head & shoulders above the rest going round. I hadn't intended having a bet in this but he looked so good that the 3/1 on offer when I walked round to the ring meant that I had to have a bit on. He made most, drew clear under hands and heels between the second & third last & he's coming to the last when that thought worms it's way to the surface "He's only got to jump this" If there'd been a sofa handy I'd have been hiding behind it, as it was I'm watching through my fingers as he decides to have one of those warming bedtime drinks at the flight but he gets away with it & scores by 14l's. Boxing Day nearly two years ago when I last backed a winner at Wetherby:eek I can't be bothered to look to see how many meetings/bets that is & while I'm not claiming it in the returns sod it, it's worth a banana:nana He's now the 16/1 jolly for the Triumph but that's light years away in the scheme of things. Right all I need now is the London bus effect. I have to check that I'm not watching a replay of the earlier chase though as Palos Conti leads round the last bend & then soon as they straighten up for home he's throwing distress signals out. He ends up a long way back 3rd & the winner is the one that I didn't fancy Orange Nassau but while things can change as noted before I don't think he would have if Polarbrook had stood up. He'd just gone about 3l's clear heading to two out when Maguire asked him for a big one & he hit the floor on the other side, jumping's the name of the game though & they both got up which is the main thing. Time for home & for a change I'm walking off the track in a good mood, will it last? Saturday. More wet stuff as I arrive in the carpark (field) but it's more the fine mist at the moment & there's a sneaky wind with a chill in it & this is more like the Wetherby I've come to expect. Big crowd today, other Boxing day no day gets more here & I'm no sooner in than it's now raining heavier. Get the placepot on & then seek shelter at the front of the weighing room. Out come the runners & Sixty Something looks alright apart from the light blue hood he's wearing:eyes Jocks on & away so I dart round to the front of the stands where I see he's been backed into odds on. It's a bit crowded but I get three or four steps up & can half see the big screen as they're off but don't see the mistake at the 3rd that has the crowd gasping & the course commentator wondering how McCoy's stayed on, maybe my lucks changing but he gets to the 6th fence & then bites the dust or should I say mud. There goes the placepot & one down in both trixies, normal Wetherby service is resumed it seems. To rub it in the winner is Mendip Express, picked the wrong one :spank I have no financial interest in the novice hurdle up next now but maybe I'll see something to take from the race. Gone Too far is odds on & wins but I'm not impressed & the 25/1 quotes for the Supreme have no appeal at all, iffy jumping most of the way & he took an age to get on top till close home. Nothing to note from the rest either. L'Unique wins the best turned out for the mares race which ought to have me running to back Cockney Rebel in the betting ring but I don't. It's stopped raining so I watch from the rail as L'Unique, having been backed into 5/2 makes a right pigs ear of three out & is soon struggling. Cockney Rebel takes it up two out & runs on strongly to win well. At least I have a chance of a return from the trixie bets now. There's a big screen by the parade ring so I watch Greywell Boy run a fair race for 3rd at Ascot without looking like he'd win from before two out while I wait for the now three runners for the next. Because the Down Royal race is up straight after this next race I stay there to watch both races. Valco de Touzaine does it well enough, while not foot perfect he's better than It's a Gimme who's not great but is still street lengths better than Fair Trade who after several iffy jumps finally gets rid of Choc at the 10th. Straight to Down Royal where First Lieutenant is absolutely dreadful & is beaten a long way from home. Sizing Europe fails to get home again & nearly comes down at the last because he's legless. When will the penny drop that he doesn't get 3m's? What would be said if, heaven forbid he had come down at the last & got hurt or worse? Why don't we give the animal rights people some more ammunition to fire? get a grip man!!!! Kauto Stone is worse than First Lieutenant & one wonders where he goes now? The winner is Roi du Mee who's the outsider of the six. Suddenly the clouds have rolled backed & the sky is blue, I wandered back round to the front of the stands & watch the Ascot 2.45 on the big screen. I'm shouting Pine Creek home when the bloke next to me asks if It's Court Minstrel, no It's Pine Creek I say as he hits the line in front, isn't it? Of course it is, the name flashes up at the bottom of the screen, Pine Creek, phew. A single up at a decent price so it may not be a losing day after all. By the time I go back round to look at the field for 3m 1f hurdle the jocks are on & they are going out so I nip over to the walkway to snap them there & the sky behind them is almost cloudless. Back round to the front again to watch the race. Now it seems to me that after almost every race that I watch on the telly these days they're trotting out the "What a great ride he gave that" cliche for the winner & I have no idea if they did that on C4 & Racing UK after the race but if they didn't they should have. What I liked was the way that Sam Twiston-Davies didn't panic & ask Tidal Bay to go too soon, he wasn't foot perfect at the last & that's been moved a bit closer to the finish too but then he got after him & nabbed Medinas close home, top class & it brought the house down. Now I need Long Run to win, I also need them to get on with it because the clouds are back & I get the idea it may be banging it down soon. He looks well enough going round, in fact I have him as the pick of them, don't win the best turned out:hope He doesn't, Cape Tribulation is lumbered with that & ends up pulling up. Long Run seems to be traveling well, even after clouting one hard down the back the second time but as they turn into the home straight he's struggling like so many seem to do here. He's last of the five to finish, first time in 27 runs he's not been in the first three, how disappointing, what will the stewards ask? Sweet Fanny Adams it seems, probably sleeping of the G&T's. The kick in the balls is Harry Topper gets up to win, I really ought to have had a bit on him. Having said that I'd have been throwing the ticket away for much of the race, his jumping, especially the first circuit was iffy at best & I don't see any of these winning a big pot this season. The stake across the two days was 88pts with 45pts back from Pine Creek, the unposted return from Royal Irish Hussar meant I actually broke even on the two days. Quiet week now with the next trip out probably the flats last knocking's at Donny on Saturday. Stakes 7579.4pts Returns 6007.43pts P/L -1571.97pts Ante post 136pts Ante post return -136pts Expense running total £1335 Noted horses W/R 5-30 Stakes 30 return 38 P/L +8 Lucky 15's etc Stakes 125pts Returns 7.5pts P/L -72.5pts Oscar Rock dpex.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us The disappointing Master Rajeem y4ed.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rally bgv0.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Ultimate 9nfb.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Royal Irish Hussar 0ttw.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Medip Express skgv.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Gone Too Far wnvq.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Cockney Sparrow k059.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Valco de Touzaine e4xr.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Tidal Bay under a blue sky er32.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us & coming back in, if you look carefully there's a certain Billyhills in a bad hat to the right c875.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us The trainers so happy he could crush a grape Actually he's watching Rolling Aces winning in Ireland on the big screen qmvo.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Long Run, Cloudy again epy0.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Harry Topper 2bpb.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Alice Plonker interviews Kim Bailey afterwards, love the boots Alice jxf3.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.