** February Poker League Result : 1st andybell666, 2nd rosco, 3rd Like2Fish **
** Football Tipster Competition Result : 1st mickyftm32, 2nd Tiffy, 3rd Cauncie, 4th Alley Cat Glover, 5th Larkin22 **
Attention, PL Members! To reinforce security on the forum, we have updated our login process. Please note that you will now need to use your email address to sign in, rather than your forum username. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

Rio's Racing Diary

Re: Rio's Racing Diary

Wrong race and wrong Gabrial but looks like there was an explanation. It was Gabrial The Hero from the Glenard race' date=' was coming up the rail with a run but Jamie stopped riding. He said the horse lost its action and the vet found lame to the front left forelock or something. Just watched the Our Gabrial race, would have needed wings. Too many of these bloody Gabrial horses, why can't he call them Bill and Steve or something instead of his kids names. :)[/quote'] That would explain why I couldn't see that you were on about with Our Bill...... Sorry Our Gabrial

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A much happier bunny after yesterday, although not at first & not overall really. Having decided I wasn't playing in the first race because the one I would have backed Invisible Eye was around the 6/4 mark & I'm trying to avoid backing under 2/1 I was somewhat surprised when we took up a position on the stands to see him trading at 15/8. "This is getting close to me having a bet" I say to Mowgli. He goes 2's & I nip off the stand & have a small bet, when I get back Mowgli's got his head in his Racing Post. "First run since being gelded" he says. "Can't be, he only ran 22 days ago" I reply but there on the card next to the horses name is br g1 I don't buy the Racing Post, I use the website which as far as I can see doesn't carry this info, I print a card off At the Races & make my notes on that & there's nothing there to tell me that the horse has been gelded, it's a mistake surely. The stalls open, the form reads....

Dwelt, in rear when heavily eased over 4f out, soon pulled up
Actually that's being rather generous because it was clear in the first ten yards that the horse was going to take no part. Invisible Eye goes off 11/8f, there are plenty having a right old rant, I'm kicking myself for not knowing he's been gelded but the more I think about the less happy I am. Back in 2010 when the racing club I was then involved with had a 2yo called Press Release he ran poorly & it was mooted that he should be gelded, however it was mid season & the trainer Tom Dascombe said "You will miss six to eight weeks" He ran badly once more, was sent to be gelded & returned just over seven weeks later. He was still rubbish by the way but that's not the point, Invisible Eye ran at Newbury on August the 3th, sometime after that he was gelded, if it was done on the same day then it was 22 days ago but it's more likely after that, I'm no vet but I do not see how that horse could be recovered enough to do it's self justice on the track yesterday. The stewards had a word.....
Charles Bishop, the rider of INVISIBLE EYE, which was pulled up, reported that the gelding moved poorly. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the gelding failed to reveal any abnormalities.
"Moved Poorly" I bloody well bet he did, I'd be moving poorly if I'd been castrated three weeks or less ago! On the subject of "Moved Poorly" I'll return to that shortly. Less than happy we move on to race two. Mowgli's backed Lunar Spirit at 9/4 & is less than chuffed when I tell him that she's drifted & at one point was 100/30 but she's now come back to 3's. The pair of us are gobsmacked when she walks in the parade ring sweating up so much that it looks like she's run already. They get to the start & she's acting up there too & they have to put her in without Gibbons who then gets ready to get on. Mowgli wants her taking out of the race & I'm thinking that might not be a bad thing either, the rest are loading up when a head appears under the stalls & one pops out but it's not Lunar Spirit it's Moonlight Venture who sets off & is now loose on the track. It takes them an age to catch him & while they're doing so they take them all back out & then loose horse caught they have the whole pantomime of loading to do again. Finally they're away, it's a long straight here & it's clear pretty early that Lunar Spirit isn't winning, fortunately the other one I've backed Go Sakhee is getting the job done & scores by 6l's in the end from An Chulainn who's heads all over under pressure & this one looks a serious dodge pot. Mowgli's not happy, I wouldn't be if I'd just backed Lunar Spirit & not Go Sakhee as well, the stewards don't want a word about that one though, they decide to have a natter about Mariners Moon who's also chucked in a shocker but all they get is the bog standard "No explanation" However Maggie's Diamond as also not run very well & the stewards report says...
Tony Hamilton, the rider of MAGGIE'S DIAMOND, placed fourth, reported that the filly moved poorly. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the filly failed to reveal any abnormalities.
Now "Never traveling" is an expression I've seen plenty of times but "Moved poorly" not really, perhaps it's just a coincidence? Mowgli's going to back Centre Haafhd in the next, they've gone down & before he can get on they've chucked them in the stalls & they're off in an effort to catch up on the lost time from the previous loose horse affair. Centre Haafhd runs a shocker & is last so Mowgli's dodged one, I'd be less than happy with that run but the other one I have in here is Pennine Warrior who again gets the job done in beating another dodgepot in Kommander Kirkup. Mowgli backs Bossy Guest in the 2yo Listed race at 4/1 & he's backed into 9/4jtf with Explosive Lady. I could do with her winning because that would land me three legs in one of the lucky 15's with one to run. She's a half length & a neck 3rd though, Mowgli thinks that Bossy Guest who's 2nd would have won with a clear run but not for me, she was always been held by the winner who's Izzthatright, my other runner & top rated on my numbers, maybe I'm barking up the right tree after all. I can't land a full lucky 15 but should Bartack score I'll have two trebles & a win for my other pick Mujazif would give me one treble. Mowgli's going to back Bartack but when he returns from the bookies he shows me a slip for Dubai Dynamo! Bartack's been backed into 3/1 which he thinks is too short to back, fair enough but why not just skip the race? Down at the start & Adrian Nicholls has got off Mujazif, why? They all go in though & when the stalls open Mujazif walks out, the form reads...
Soon behind, tailed off 5f out, heavily eased over 3f out, pulled up and dismounted inside final furlong
The stewards have a word...
Adrian Nicholls, the rider of MUJAZIF (IRE), which was pulled up, reported that the gelding moved poorly. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the gelding failed to reveal any abnormalities.
Oh hello "Moved poorly" again. Now I'm not having this on several fronts. Why did Nicholls get off? If he thought there was a problem did he seek the vets advise & a vet is is or should be at the start? If he did seek advise why doesn't it say so in the stewards report? Is it just me or do these excuses of "Moved Poorly" sound like they're all reading from a prepared script? For me there are too many bad smells around the place here. The good news is I have the considerable delight in shouting home Bartack & Danny Tudhope. I should mention that the old boy Osteopathic Remedy comes a cracking 3rd on his attempt to land this for the fifth time. Mowgli backs Kiss of Spring in the maiden & he runs a fair race for 3rd having tied up in the last furlong & looking like he needed it after six months off. He will win a race & so will Tasmanian who was a nose behind him & still green. The latest dodgepot Hanno was 2nd again having hung under pressure, mind you the winner Lilly Junior hadn't looked one to put much faith in until taking this & it was a poor race. Time to bail out, we've done well to avoid any heavy rain & what could have been a rotten day has turned out quite well for me. The 5pt single on Kiss of Spring returned nothing but the 18pts staked on the four lucky 15's returned 169.9pts between them after a small rule 4 from the one that got loose & didn't run. Singles etc W/R 26-120 Stakes 1916pts Returns 1673.09pts Profit/Loss -242.91pts Multiple bets Stakes 1144.25pts Returns 1004.39pts Profit/Loss -139.86pts Lays W/R 1-2 Profit/Loss -2.5pts Scoop 6 -£10 Expenses £1210 Bahamian Desert, a new 2yo for the racing club runs at Carlisle tomorrow but I have not asked for a badge, I need a few days to recharge the batteries but will have a look at his chances later. Go Sakhee GoSakhee_zpsabe4e6ec.jpg Pennine Warrior PennineWarrior_zpsd264aad3.jpg Pennine Warrior's trainer Scott Dixon who I suspect thinks he looks rather dapper in that outfit, I think he looks a pillock ScottDixon_zps28910559.jpg Izzthatright Izzthatright_zpse6a7966c.jpg Tony Hamilton collects the Ripon Champion 2yo Trophy Nevitt_zps36a0302b.jpg Bartack & Danny Tudhope Bartack_zps5536267c.jpg Kiss of Spring KissofSpring_zpscd8b2f1a.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Bahamian Desert runs in the 2.30 at Carlisle. The thoughts on the website are that they are expecting an improvement on his first start at Ayr 18 days ago at 7f's on soft where he led until just past halfway & then kept on quite well until fading in the last furlong. Apparently he's quite a big lad & is expected to do alright in time but it looks like they've found a bit of a warm race here with runners from Kevin Ryan, Mark Johnston & Richard Fahey, the latter is chucking four darts at it. On my numbers Johnston's Summer Times is just top on his debut run when just held on fast ground at Catterick, however I was there next time when he threw in a shocker getting turned over at 2/5. Since then the just over a length 2nd to Toolcoolforschool at Ripon would look just about the pick of the form on offer with that one very nearly landing last weeks Acomb at York but he again disappointed at Newcastle on his last start but then that was at 7f's on good to soft so maybe he just didn't stay/like the ground or both. I can't help thinking that this one is a bit of a dodgepot but laying it at knocking on for 7/2 doesn't appeal. Shootingsta is next best on his bow on good ground at Nottingham in June, he ran well below that at Haydock after that on the day that I was there with Balducci when it had chucked it down on top of Berk of the course Kirkland Talksb&$$&x watering & that was his last run. It's supposed to be good to firm today after a dry night but I see the berk here has had the taps on as well & the going stick says 7.2 so basically who knows what the ground is? Fahey's Signoret posted the third best score when 3rd on debut at this track at the minimum trip a month ago, the extra distance shouldn't be a problem for her. Tony Hamilton though is on Phoenix Storm who looked a decent type when I saw him make his debut at York last month, however he played up a good deal & ran a dreadful race beaten 22l's last behind Valley of Fire, ought to be better than that. Charlie Croker was a decent 2nd at Ponty when going off favourite behind Dark Reckoning who's won a small field minor stakes at Ripon since & then was beaten in another slightly better affair back there two days ago. On what the others have shown so far they'd need to find a ton to get involved & the two that debut here don't appeal much. I'd like to see Bahamian Desert run well & if he was somewhere around 4th/5th & not beaten miles that would do, its hard to see him placing so I'll swerve even a "Just in case" bet. If I was having a punt it would probably be between Shootingsta & Signoret but I'd like to have a look at them first & as I'm not going that's not possible so it's a leave alone & watch the race later for me. Rio.

Instead of taking a book into toilet I take my iPad and read ur blog' date='find it one of the best on here.my luck is terrible ATM but wil change :)keep them coming[/quote'] Thanks. I was looking at going to Thirsk today, an early peek at the card on Wednesday had it better than the usual fare with a class 3 & two class 4 handicaps & then I spotted that Scrutiny had been declared for the 5.25. It seems this was a bit of a plan B in that if the predicted heavy rain were to turn up then the ground might go soft enough to suit, however the wet stuff has so far failed to arrive & he's been taken out. After a better look at the card I'm now not going to bother, normally I'd be quite keen with a pair of 2yo races to open up with but the first contains a right bunch of exposed looking sorts & where I have Indian Keys the top rated but that was from four runs back & I'm not getting involved with that one at around 11/8. The mile maiden at might have a bit more scope with a couple of newcomers & nothing having run more than twice, I have Referendum with a fair number from his second start behind a useful looking winner at Yarmouth & while I wouldn't mind a look at these the rest of the card looks very trappy. The field for the 3.15 look an exposed lot apart from perhaps Almanack but even he's had 17 starts & won twice on the aw, the 3yo at the bottom is a non runner. The class 3 is a big field 6f cavalry charge followed by a seller. The other class 4 is a two miler where it's 9/1 bar one & that's one of those Prescott sorts that ran three times as a 2yo last year at far too short a trip & suddenly has won his last two banged up to 1m 6f & 2m. Up 17lb from the first win & a jump in class too, it might well hose up but with 15 runners I can swerve this one at 2/1. The 2yo Bahamian Desert ran quite well at Carlisle on Wednesday, he was bang there with the all the way winner Charlie Croker until around 2f's out & then faded & was allowed to coast home. The winner was rather impressive & time may show that he tried to take on something decent up the front, whatever it was not a bad run & he will have another maiden outing to get a mark before looking for a nursery. I may head to Beverley tomorrow but need to have proper look later, it also wouldn't surprise me if the wet stuff did arrive which would alter plans. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Going to Beverley but running late so this is quite brief. I've covered three races at Beverley with the Sandown opener in a lucky 15 perm, three races with two picks & one with three. I've also chucked a dart at the scoop 6 & covered the selections in small stakes doubles & 5 & 6timers. The 2yo race at Beverley that opens the card looks a decent maiden I have Hollie Point a good bit clear on the ratings but no bet at 11/8ish. It wouldn't surprise to see Pearl Secret defect from the Bullet with the ground on the fast side, he has the plum stall in 1 & really ought to win this. With Margrets Gift out of the 3.05 I've gone with Rich Again (hopefully :p) & Ingenti. For the second division at 3.40 I'll take Tom Sawyer & the old boy Haajes. The 4.15 is quite a nice little race but not one for getting involved financially. Three stabs at the 4.40. Storm King looks to be coming back to form & is eased in class. Big Storm Coming looks an improving sort. Just Paul is still quite well handicapped for one with a fair strike rate. Interesting to see a few of the Northern boys down at Sandown & I'll take Eccleston & Danny Tudhope in the 2.05. The other pick here is Tagula Night who likes the track & has Ryan Moore up. Not a fan of Chester but B Fifty Two ought tom go well in the 2.20 & while he has a lousy strike rate Foxtrot Romeo has some smart form & should also be thereabouts in the 2.55. I've a bit of history with Aalim so he's the choice in the 2.45 at Newton Abbot. Spas Dancer is another that likes Sandown & has Ryan Moore on top in the 3.50 Bets Tagula Night 8/1 Eccleston 9/1 Ingenti 11/2 Rich Again 6/1 Haajes 11/2 Tom Sawyer 6/1 Storm King 15/2 Big Storm Coming 11/2 Just Paul 12/1 6 x 0.2pt lucky 15's = 18pts staked Tagula Night B Fifty Two Aalim Foxtrot Romeo Rich Again Spas Dancer One line on the Scoop 6 + cover 15 doubles, 6 5timers & all 6 at 10p 22 bets = £4.20 Gotta go. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Well that didn't turn out too bad in the end, having arrived in time to view the 2yo's in the first it's wander through the betting ring to a viewing spot & on the way I see that Hollie Point has usurped Adele for going off favourite. It looks like she's going to win too when she takes it up at the furlong pole but close home Natural Charm sticks her head in front & avoiding the shortie was a good idea. I'm down by the winning post & waiting for Sandown's opener to appear on the big screen but I'm not the only one who has to dash for the betting shop when it becomes clear we ain't getting it. The scoop 6 dream of something like 99% of the tickets, mine included, hits the rocks when the unfancied Chilworth Icon takes the race & rather easily too. Tagula Night is making a little progress up the far rail but is never getting there when he runs into traffic & Ryan Moore gives up, the stewards must have had this one in their scoop 6's too because they decided to have a word....

The Stewards considered the running of TAGULA NIGHT (IRE), ridden by Ryan Moore and trained by Dean Ivory, which finished unplaced. They noted the trainer’s representative could offer no explanation for the gelding’s performance. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the gelding failed to reveal any abnormalities.
Back to the bog standard "No explanation" it seems. Eccleston managed 4th without looking dangerous & the lucky 15 perm hasn't started well either. Back outside & Kevin Darley & David Barron are on the track poking away with sticks, they seem happy enough & head off for the weighing room. There's 5/2 showing for Pearl Secret which is fair enough, I was expecting him to be shorter especially with Mecca's Angel a non runner but I decide I want a look at him first. He looks ready enough, I actually backed him last week in the Group 1 Nunthorpe when he was taken out & I decide I have to back him here in this Listed race. When I get back to the boards he's 9/4 & 85/40, the bloke with the hat at York the other week who Mowgli & myself had a touch off is here wearing the fur lined thing with the flaps down again, I step in & take 9/4 with "Deputy Dawg" before heading for the stand. Pearl Secret has the plum draw in 1, just to show he doesn't have to hold them up Spencer bounces him out into the lead, makes every post a winning one, quickens up at the one & wins by a neck. Having collected from the cat in the hat I head back into the betting shop to see whats won the 2.20 at Chester because the big screen is still not showing the other meetings. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that B fifty Two has won which means the last four legs of the scoop 6 races have a small financial interest riding on them from the covering bet. I stay in there to watch the handicap hurdle at Newton Abbot where it's clear that Aalim isn't winning from a long way out. I can now see that the next from Chester is up on the big screen, maybe viewing it on that will work the oracle? No it won't, Foxtrot Romeo is well backed & well stuffed having been held up & never really getting in it. For a few seconds it looks like Mezzotint who's one that Mowgli chucked few quid at the other week is going to land the spoils at a long price but he gets run out of it late on. No time to look at them before our next but I get to see them on the way to the start. Ingenti hits the front at the furlong pole & then curls up tamely & manages 7th. Rich Again is backed down to 100/30f & some boards are only 3/1, he runs one of those frustrating races where you feel like he should have done better & you've not had a proper run for the money...
Held up towards rear, headway on inner well over 1f out, not much room and switched left entering final furlong, soon ridden and kept on, nearest finish
It's not just held up it's held up a bloody long way off the pace & would need wings to score from where he was, the stewards have a word....
Jamie Spencer, the rider of RICH AGAIN (IRE), unplaced, reported that the gelding missed the break.
Not taken him long to revert to type. The 10yo Oldjoesaid wins in a head bobber. Things look up after the next though, Tom Sawyer is well backed, makes most & hangs on by a neck. There's a small rule 4 though because Where the Boys are dumps Robert Tart on the way to the start & then proceeds to do a full circuit of the track before getting caught & being withdrawn. Still I'll get something back from the multiples & I have three running for me in the last leg. I need Spa's Dancer down at Sandown if the scoop 6 covering bet is to return anything, he's held up & flatters entering the last furlong before finishing 4th. The trappy but useful looking handicap at Beverley that I've no bet in is won in good style by Truancy under a very good front running ride from Joey Haynes. Spencer is 3rd on Yenhaab & then the PA tells us that he's been replaced on Storm King in the next by Andrew Elliott, no idea why but I'm not too disappointed, while I wouldn't have a big downer on him he wouldn't be my favourite jockey either. Andrew Elliott gets a thumbs up though, he makes every yard & scores tidily by a half length :ok Big Storm Coming hangs under pressure & is 4th a place in front of Just Paul who's another one of those "Needs to sprout wings" runs having been held up miles back! Still can't complain, a double is landed along with five singles & the lucky 15 perm returns 20.4pts from the 18pt stake for a small profit. Nobody won the scoop 6 again so another small tilt at the prize would seem in order next week. Unless one of the club horses pops up somewhere it looks like a quiet week in store for me. Singles etc W/R 26-120 Stakes 1916pts Returns 1673.09pts Profit/Loss -242.91pts Multiple bets Stakes 1162.25pts Returns 1024.79pts Profit/Loss -137.46pts Lays W/R 1-2 Profit/Loss -2.5pts Scoop 6 -£14.20 Expenses £1220 Natural Charm NaturalCharm_zpsf7f60fb3.jpg Pearl Secret PearlSecret_zps20cc69ff.jpg Rich Again going to the start RichAgain_zpsb0b50d3a.jpg Oldjoesaid in the winners Oldjoesaid_zpsc6776b7e.jpg Medici Time MediciTime_zps1d911ca7.jpg Tom Sawyer TomSawyer_zps20421fe0.jpg Big Storm Coming BigStormComing_zpsc6829ee0.jpg Storm King StormKing_zps9f631c54.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Not much time, I'm rather up in the air & have things to do which means no racing today or tomorrow for me :\ Just time to lob a dart at the scoop 6 & hope it get further than last weeks effort :hope Ascot 1.55 I'm not really a fan of either of the Godolphin trainers & 3yo's don't really have much of a record in this but apart from Cornrow the progressive looking one is Safety Check who was given too much to do LTO & he's the less than confident pick. Haydock 2.05 A similar tale here with the 3yo High on Life the one that looks like its improving but its not a straightforward sort & I could could do with an "On the ball" Spencer here as opposed to the Frank Spencer which appears from time to time. Kempton 2.55 Si Senor is up in the weights & class but hosed up here LTO & is also three from three at this distance here, same again an improving 3yo. Haydock 3.15 Yet another 3yo on the up in Epsom Hill is the choice here, won his last two but is up a stack in the weights for it, wouldn't mind a drop of rain for this one. Ascot 3.30 Yet another 3yo here but then they all are. Our Gabrial is a C&D winner & found the 1m 6f's at York too far LTO, consistent sort who should run his race. Haydock 3.50 I'm a fan of Sole Power but not at 6f's & not if there is rain around, in fact there's a few that seem to be more 5f sorts, Hot Streak, Pearl Secret, Moviesta etc. It wouldn't surprise me if G Force isn't far away however I quite like Tropics for this, he's a bit the other way in that he's a little bit exposed as a 6yo but he seems to have improved with a fine 2nd in the July Cup & a Listed win despite finding trouble in running LTO. I can see a few blazing away in front here & setting it up for a finisher, it might be Sole Power &/or G Force but Tropics can hit the frame at least & I've had a bit ew with Skybet who are four places & a quarter the odds. Bets Safety Check 6/1 High on Life 11/2 Si Senor 4/1 Epsom Hill 9/1 Our Gabrial 20/1 Tropics 10/1 One line on the Scoop 6 plus 15 doubles, 6 5timers & the 6timer to 10p = £4.20 10pts ew Tropics @ 10/1 Sky, 4 places. quarter the odds. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Some time to catch my breath again after a bit of a mad weekend. Saturday evening at around 7pm I'm finally able to get parked in front of the box with glass of red & fire up the racing which I've recorded, I don't know the results so its like watching it live without having to listen to the waffle & its fast forward to the start of the 1.55 from Ascot. Away they go & Safety Check is tracking the lead which I'm quite pleased about, LTO he was held up & given too much to do. Heading to the last furlong & he's still there & looking held but he's nailed for a place to at least keep me in the place part of the scoop 6 & then suddenly Redvers downs tools in front & a heap of them hit the line together. Up comes the photo & it looks like Safety Check is in front, so it proves when the result comes through & I've got past leg 1!!!! Ooo er Missus :eek Another fast forward gets me to the start of the Haydock 2.05 but I'm struggling to see High on Life, maybe he's non runner. I could look at the result to see if he's not run but then I'll know that I needed the jolly to win/place & I'll already have seen it which rather defeats the point of watching it as live. I let the recording roll & its clear High on Life isn't there from the commentary, the race is over & I wait for the result to see what went off favourite but its not one of the first three so there dies the dream. It turns out it was Confessional who's probably the market leader because he's won this race twice before & ran well at Ripon on his last start, however I can't help but feel that if I'd wanted to be on Confessional then I'd have picked him, if you have a non runner though then that's the rules but God forbid that I ever end up with one where there are jt favs & it goes on to the one with the lowest racecard number & the other jt fav wins/places. The air would be blue if that happened. Still one of my doubles is now a single so I'm getting something back & there are four more to run which means I can still get a reasonable return. Si Senor threatens up Kempton's straight & then manages to come 5th when two strides from the line he was 3rd, four places for the place players & I suspect there were a few chuntering away after that result. Back to Haydock where Epsom Hill runs a blinder but having hit the front 2f's out is run out of it close home by Nautilus, no complaints though he tried his best. Our Gabrial makes a bit of progress up Ascot's far rail from around 2f's out & then is switched for no obvious reason at the furlong pole & disappears completely. Anyway its all down to Tropics now & he's pretty dreadful really & is beaten along way out.....

Robert Winston, the rider of TROPICS (USA), unplaced, reported that the gelding ran too free in the early stages.
The kick in the nuts is that its clear that G Force is going to be involved & then inevitably wins rather cheekily actually, this is another of those that I can't seem to get on when they win :eyes Ah well, the SP of 8/1 for Safety Check nets me a return of 90p from whats now a single. Nobody won the scoop 6 again so we'll have another stab next Saturday. Sheriff of Nawton ran at York yesterday, this is the only days racing there this year that I've missed. He ran quite well to finish midfield, not beaten too far & probably found the 10f+ stretching him & the ground too lively, he can still win back at around a mile with a bit of cut. I'm hoping he runs in the Straight Mile final at Redcar next month. Four days at Doncaster this week starting Wednesday. Singles etc W/R 26-121 Stakes 1936pts Returns 1673.09pts Profit/Loss -262.91pts Multiple bets Stakes 1162.25pts Returns 1024.79pts Profit/Loss -137.46pts Lays W/R 1-2 Profit/Loss -2.5pts Scoop 6 -£17.50 Expenses £1220 Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary After a week & a half off its time to hit the road again, four days at Donny, three with Mowgli who's missing Saturday for the delights of Bradford City v Swindon. I like this meeting apart from one thing, there's an old saying "Winter arrives on the back of the last horse to finish in the St leger" That's not that far out, it won't be long before I'm fetching up on Town Moor to watch them twig hopping again, oh dear where does the time go? I have a little bit more dashing around to do in the morning so all my punts for tomorrow are on, I have four singles, one each way, a double & a pair of trixie's plus singles involving a two way selection. The owners head is out of the box as well with Dansili Dutch running in the Leg Ends race. 2.00 I've got Percy Alleline top rated on my 2yo speed numbers but that was from his debut on soft & while it may be just on the easy side with yet another berk having the taps on when not really needed it probably won't be soft enough for Percy. Salateen is next best & sights are lowered after a stab at a York Group 3 LTO where he wasn't disgraced, he's the pick for me. Grey Sensation looks the main danger on my numbers. Only Joking actually recorded a minus number when winning at Thirsk LTO :eek When Will it End hasn't posted much of a time either despite winning twice. 2.30 This ought to be between Angelic Lord & Markaz. Having won with a modest number on debut Angelic Lord then ran a good race in the Coventry with a decent speed rating. The problem then is that his last run was in in the July stakes at Newmarket on the day where going changed three times in about an hour & where he was 5th to the smart Ivawood. It's near enough impossible to rate that race but on the number that Ivawood posted the run before Angelic Lord should be somewhere around the 100 mark. Markaz has posted a better number on each of his lat three runs, going 92, 95, & then 104 when a close 2nd in a class 2 nursery at Goodwood LTO. I like that profile, yes he's up in class a touch in theory while Angelic Lord is down a fair level but I don't have much in it so I'll take Markaz at the prices. 3.00 Mecca's Angel Defected from the Beverley Bullet the other day because of the fastish ground I would think so she wouldn't want it drying out too much & anyway 3yo's don't have a good record in this. There's quite few having a stab at grabbing some black type here that really oughtn't be good enough, it should concern Steps, B Fifty Two, Kingsgate Native, Noble Storm & Reckless Abandon. Steps has a pen for a Listed win in May which should see him off. B Fifty Two deserves a try at this level but needs to find a bit more although he is in form. Kingsgate Native is getting on a bit now & keeps getting his sights lowered in a bid to score again, if he couldn't win the Bullet why should he win here? Noble Storm has been off a while & ought to be held by Steps on these terms from May but he is a big price. Reckless Abandon has had Kingsgate Natives problem in not being able to see to the ladies when sent to stud. Unlike Kingsgate he's yet to get a visit from the man with two bricks but unless he starts producing on the track he won't get a second chance to show he can do the business. He has his ground & should be bob on for his cracking close 3rd on his return & really he should be hosing up here. 3.30 Dansili Dutch is in good form, ought to get the required assistance from the saddle in Micheal Hills & all she needs to do is get past the fact that despite saying I wouldn't do so I've backed her, well that & 15 other rivals. 4.10 Bayir's best form was as a 3yo, could bounce back but the last start at Windsor says not. Cap O'Rushes returns from having the aforementioned trip to the man with the bricks, this may make him want to run faster, then again its a bit late to break out of a trot now sunshine. Magic Hurricane looked progressive until the last run & needs a good bit more & to bounce back. Red Galileo seems flattered by his Derby 5th & the rest of this seasons form is nothing much Nabucco could go well with his sights lowered a bit & he would seem to be the main danger to Clon Brulee who's actually looking like one that Bin Suroor hasn't managed to ruin, having run with credit at Meydan in the Winter he's run really well the last three times & ought to be taking this really. 4.45 Two darts lobbed at this with Suzi's Connoisseur worth another go up in trip having been running well at 6f's lately & Marmoom who seems on the up for my mate Hamdan having scored at Newmarket LTO. 5.15 Not sure if we're stopping for the last but Peashooter really ought to be hitting trhe frame having only just failed at Beverley LTO off 2lb less. Skybet are going five places so he's nailed on for 6th. Bets. Reckless Abandon 20pts @ 9/4 Coral Clon Brulee 20pts @ 15/8 Betvictor 10pt double the pair at 9/4 & 7/4 Coral Dansili Dutch 5pts @ 6/1 Paddy Power Pea Shooter 5pts ew @ 8/1 Skybet 5 places Salateen 11/4 Markaz 9/4 Marmoom 9/2 1pt Trixie + 2 x 2pt singles Coral Salateen 11/4 Markaz 5/2 Suzi's Connoisseur 7/1 Betfair Sportsbook 1pt Trixie plus 2 x 2pt singles & 4pts on Markaz = 20pts the last two bets, all BOG Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I like the look of Salateen but I don't like Kevin Ryan's record here: 9 from 202 over 5 seasons, just a 4% strike rate. 2 year olds here just 1 from 53, a 2% strike rate. He seems to save the best for York. (Watch the bloody thing hose up by 6 lengths)

Re: Rio's Racing Diary That was quite enjoyable, lovely day, pretty much everything ran a race & enough returns to make a small overall profit. Things start off well with the well backed Salateen who dispelled Mowgli's poor Kevin Ryan stats in fair style, not quite the "Hose up by 6l's" but tidy enough all the same. Not so good with the second race where we are down to four after the defection of Growl. Four runners on one of the widest tracks in the Country & there's more trouble than Joey Barton & Mario Balotelli could cause on a night out together, several coming together's result in a stewards enquiry, although with the time it took the bing bong to sound somebody must have had to give them a wake up nudge....

The Stewards noted that FUWAIRT (IRE), placed third, hung left interfering with MARKAZ (IRE), placed second, which in turn interfered with PRINCE BONNAIRE, placed fourth. At the same point the winner, ANGELIC LORD (IRE), drifted slightly right causing interference to PRINCE BONNAIRE, approaching two furlongs out, but after viewing a recording of the incident they were satisfied that it neither involved a riding offence nor improved either ANGELIC LORD (IRE)’s or FUWAIRT (IRE)'s placing.
So Hanagan didn't have to snatch Markaz up then when Angelic Lord "Drifted slightly right" If going from the middle of the track, across all three rivals to the near side rail is a slight drift to the right then the Lord alone knows what you'd have to do for it to be a proper drift. In France they'd have chucked the winner out, here you have to murder somebody, did the best horse win the race? Probably, so in that respect fair enough but I still think they must be watching something different to me on that report, the Racing Post form line is interesting...
Tracked leader on outer, headway 2f out, ridden to lead and hung badly right over 1f out and again entering final furlong, stayed on
Bit of a difference between "Drifted slightly right" & "Hung badly right" methinks. Having gone inside to watch a race at Carlisle where Mowgli has backed Frontline Phantom in some ew multiples (placed) we miss Reckless Abandon who's gone down early, another chap I know tells me he'd got in a bit of a stew before hand, oh dear. He runs well though for 2nd but can't live with Meccas Angel who's one of two that Mowgli's backed mainly due to "Sprint King Mulrennan" being on top, he's not worried about the poor stats for the 3yo's, he's not a big stats fan, this is the bloke that swerved Salateen because of the poor trainer stats :eyes Time to head for the parade ring now. Jason's a bit worried that with Dansili Dutch being a bit small that the 11st that they are all carrying might be a bit much, the drying ground at this trip won't help either but she ought to be running on. Out comes Micheal Hills who has his rather attractive Daughter with him :p She runs really well, Dansili not Micheal's Daughter & stays on to nab 3rd, pity I didn't back her each way but then when I look later Paddy were doing a free bet if you come 2nd or 3rd in this race so I can have another shot at something, I'll not put that in the returns though. I could do with the well backed Clon Brulee winning the next. He does having hit the front just before the one & holding off the closing Red Galileo by a neck at the line. This is one of two that Mowgli's backed the disappointing Magic Hurricane being the other, he's having a chunter about Atzeni waiting too long but when we watch the reply he's shoving away before Ryan Moore on Clon Brulee & he's only got that close because the winner's dossing in front for me. Marmoom flatters approaching two out then ties up so badly he's last but one. Suzi's Connoisseur runs a shocker & gets the dreaded "Nearest finish" comment in the form line that so bugs me, the stewards have a word about both....
The Stewards considered the running of MARMOOM, ridden by Paul Hanagan and trained by Charles Hills, which finished unplaced. They noted the trainer could offer no explanation for the gelding’s performance. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination during routine testing of the gelding failed to reveal any abnormalities.
William Buick, the rider of SUZI'S CONNOISSEUR, unplaced, reported that the gelding was never travelling. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the gelding failed to reveal any abnormalities.
At this point we decide to bail out before the last & we're well up the A1 when Mowgli tells me that Pea Shooter has come 2nd in the last to land the place part of my bet. Salateen gets me 15pts back from the 30pts on the double/trixie bets & Clon Brulee & Pea Shooter return 73.75pts from the 55pts on the singles for a small profit on the day. Singles etc W/R 28-125 Stakes 1991pts Returns 1746.84pts Profit/Loss -244.16pts Multiple bets Stakes 1192.25pts Returns 1039.79pts Profit/Loss -152.46pts Lays W/R 1-2 Profit/Loss -2.5pts Scoop 6 -£17.50 Expenses £1235 I'll stick up four days worth of pictures at the end like I did for York, its an earlier start for C4 today so I need to get on. Three each way singles & a Lucky 15 perm today. 1.40 A big field fillies Nursery so some form to go with the speed numbers. I have Persun just top but with four 2nds from five starts she looks a bit of an after you Claude to me. Vesnina & Gregoria are next best, the former looks chucked in on the 4th in a Group 3 at Sailsbury last week & the number for the win the time before is decent too, something usually beats these "Good things" but I have to include her in the perm. Gregoria was a fine 3rd in a hot Newmarket Nursery LTO which is where the best number comes from, the previous run was also pretty smart & this one also goes in the perm. Two places behind her at Newmarket was Little Lady Katie, I kept calling her Miss Katie who won at 50/1 at Ripon for Frank the other week, I'm expecting to see him today & have had a small each way single on her again today. 2.10 It was hard not to be impressed by Bragging's win in a good handicap at York & she wouldn't need to find a lot more to take this Group 3 & I'll have her in the perm too. Joyeuse is better at 6f's for me & while she's 3lb better off for a head & a length & a quarter that J Wonder beat her in the Fred Darling in the Spring that one scored nicely at Goodwood at this class LTO & she's my other pick here. 2.40 I suspect Mowgli may be backing Arabian Comet after her near miss at York. Seal of Approval ended up on the floor in this last year, ran well LTO & is probably the form pick but I think the drying ground is against her today. If you forgive her last run Venus de Milo could go well but I'm not going to. I quite like Silk Sari for this, looks an improving sort & stayed on well to win a Newbury Listed contest LTO, should get the trip & worth an ew single. 3.15 Back to the 2yo's in the big sales race. Lexington Times is just top rated on the 3rd in the Solario LTO, that though was on good to soft, at 7f's & in a small field, this is a different kettle of fish here. Vimy Ridge has a good number from the win at Thirsk but hasn't gone on since. Next best is Acaster Malbis on his debut 2nd but he was unbelievably bad at York LTO when I backed him & if he wins this after that run I will turn the air umpteen shades of blue. The Great War is another that's not improved & I'm with Kibaar (Hamdan, oh dear) who ran a blinder at York LTO & is not far behind on my numbers & Fox Trotter who beat the subsequent Group 3 winner Burnt Sugar on debut & then posted a fair number when 4th in the Richmond at Goodwood. 4.25 Flippant seems to be going the right way & a 5lb rise for a win at Newbury at this distance seems fair enough. Blue Waltz got off the mark in a Newbury maiden LTO & is open to further improvement here, they are the pair for me. 5.00 Very little in the way of form for this 2yo maiden but Commemorative posted a fair number on soft at Sandown on debut, I suspect I'll back something here but will need a look. 5.35 I suspect we won't be staying for this but I've had an ew on Doc Hay who was claimed to go back to David O'Meara from a win at BEverley LTO & he's chucked in here if he runs anywhere near his best. Ladbrokes were way out of line with the rest a bit earlier & going 5 places & an ew was a must. Bets. Gregoria 7/1 Vestina 4/1 Bragging 11/4 J Wonder 7/1 Fox Trotter 5/1 Kbaar 10/1 Blue Waltz 3/1 Flippant 7/2 4 x 0.3pts lucky 15's = 18pts staked. Silk Sari 10pts ew @ 10/1 Stan James, quarter the odds. Little Lady Katie 2.5pts ew @ 16/1 Skybet Doc Hay 5pts ew @ 14/1 Ladbrokes 5 places All Bets BOG Rio.

Great day yest:)nice singles' date='had bonds girl after reading about her burning the gallops so good day for all.wish bragging could have won for double but the blinkers worked for the hills winner[/quote'] Not a bad day at all, however compared to Mowgli's who had one of those "Fall in the cess pit, come out smelling of roses" days it was really rather tame. Nice day again to start with. We spot Frank in the pre parade ring & then I manage a word after they've gone to the start "Good each way shout" is the message. Mowgli's backed a couple in here one of of which is Home Cummins who's been led round by the whistling blonde & he thinks she looks quite nice, the horse not the blonde, although..... The two I have in the lucky 15's are up there & then disappear in the final furlong, the well in on the last run Vesnina is especially disappointing in a very poor 14th...... Little Lady Katie meanwhile is flying at the end & gets 3rd, a nose & a half length behind the winner which to Mowgli's delight is Home Cummins, off he trots to collect while I resume the day job as Sheikh Frank's personal photographer. Bragging gets 2nd in the next but never looked like winning at any stage. J Wonder who Mowgli's also backed flatters & then bails out tamely. As I suspected he's invested in Arabian Comet, however he's doing the usual trick of sticking his head in the Racing Post pre race & is also becoming sweet on Silk Sari. Off he trots to back her & we have a stab at the reverse exacta which we do every now & again to small stakes. The race goes like a dream, Silk Sari is always traveling well, into the straight & she moves up to the leader without Atzeni moving a muscle. At the two he says go & she storms clear to win by 5l's, that'll do nicely thank you. Arabian Comet manages 5th to scupper any exacta return but we will land one of those at some point. The two I have in the big sales race make no show, in fact Fox Trotter is so bad the stewards rouse themselves.... Can't say that I saw anything getting in a tizz but then these eyes are not what they were & they weren't that good to start with. Acaster Malbis looks spot on before the race & I have to have a bit ew at 40's as does Mowgli, we watch the replay for him in particular. He's in stall 4 on the far side, away they go & he's at the back, after a couple of furlongs he moves to the centre but still at the back, getting to the business end & he's finishing best of all up the other rail to get 7th & the dreaded "Nearest finish" The course he's steered he's just run 7f's in a 6.5f's race, no lost cause this one. I have vowed to stay out of the next having looked at the race until I was cross-eyed last evening (perhaps that explains me not seeing Fox Trotter getting upset earlier) Mowgli's head however is back in the paper, off he goes again & after the Corsican scores off he goes to draw again. The two I have left to get me some return from the lucky 15's are Flippant & Blue Waltz & I'm thinking that I may have a nibble at the latter. Mowgli returns & informs me he's just had a bet on Blue Waltz at 7/2 which is a bit more than I was thinking she'd be so off I go & secure the same price. Same trainer, jockey & owner as Silk Sari & same result a 5l's win, it took her just a little while to hit top gear from the two marker but once the penny dropped she was away, the handicapper will probably stick half the church roof on her now but she could be a bit better than a handicapper anyway. Mowgli's been on about another Cumani runner in the 2yo maiden up next since we got in the car, we go for a look & there's nothing to put us off Archery Peak when we see him. He also likes Brutus & backs them both to win, I have a bit ew on Archery Peak & then Mowgli decides he really ought to have gone each way too so I tell him to go do them place only on the Tote if the predicted divi looks about right. Brutus runs well but fades late & can win a race. Archery Peak gets 3rd & off I go to collect, Mowgli's waiting for the divi to be declared on the Tote & we see Doc Hay at 12/1 & a quarter the odds on one board. He agrees with me that he ought to be going close, gives me some money & I move in to back him for both of us when they change the terms to a fifth & I change my mind. We look for a bookie going the correct terms & find just one in the whole betting ring & he's two points shorter, IT IS A DISGRACE, an 18 runner sprint handicap & one on course bookie going a quarter the odds, I would put them all against a wall & machine gun the lot of them personally. I refuse to bet, mowgli goes off to get his winnings from the Tote & wonder of wonders he gets the same as if he'd gone ew at 25/1. He takes the money he gave me & instead of backing Doc Hay ew backs that one & Shore Step, which is another one he's plucked from the Racing Post two minutes before both to win. We watch the race & Shore Step is bang there but is getting swamped close home, we are looking for Doc Hay & he's out with washing but up on the screen the camera is following Shore Step, the replay shows that having looked beaten he rallies close home & gets back up having hit a 100 in running on betfair. Mowgli goes off to collect with the added bonus that its the bookie that changed the place terms on me that he's just won with & them doing that saved me from backing a loser & he's found the winner, serves them right. Off we go with Mowgli complaining he can't fit the money in his wallet :eyes Little Lady Katie returns 12.5pts & Silk Sari 145pts from the 35pts on the singles. Blue Waltz rescues 4.8pts of the 18pts on the lucky 15's & gives me a bit more cash in my wallet too from the on course bet, that'll do. Singles etc W/R 30-128 Stakes 2026pts Returns 1904.34pts Profit/Loss -121.66pts Multiple bets Stakes 1210.25pts Returns 1044.59pts Profit/Loss -165.66pts Lays W/R 1-2 Profit/Loss -2.5pts Scoop 6 -£17.50 Expenses £1235 Day three I'm breaking the rules again & backing a short one, I have another that if I'm to do these speed numbers for the 2yo's next season is going to have to win today & a pair of lucky 15's. 1.40 As I 'd expect there are some tidy numbers clocked in this & the best of them is Cotai Glory's, not though from the Molecomb LTO where he still was quick but from the 2nd in a Listed event at Newbury to Limato the run before. Bronze Marquette & Accepted have numbers not far behind but Ainippe has looked good in both wins & while her number leaves her needing more she looks like she has plenty more to come. I'll have Cotai Glory & Ainippe in this. 2.10 I still think there's a decent race to be won with Sir Walter Scott & after Cumani & Atzeni's day yesterday I'll have another poke at him after his reasonable effort in the Ebor. Adventure Seeker ran well for me at York & looks like the extra distance will suit so he's the second pick here. 2.40 If you took Times Up who's won the last two runnings & Estimate out of this you'd have a pretty weak looking Group 2 for me. Times Up needs runs to reach his peak & the 3rd in the Lonsdale should have him better here but can he really beat Estimate on the same terms when she was two & a quarter lengths in front of him at York & she's going to be even better over this extra 2f's? She really ought have her Maj cracking a smile at around 2.45 & me too hopefully :hope 3.15 On my numbers I have Muraaqaba best for this but that was on soft & on the times yesterday it ain't going to be that, yes it was fast ground when she won on debut but the time there was nothing much & the run at Ascot in between was a bit iffy. Astrelle has the next best number but that was a good to soft nursery & really the rest are needing improve a stack to get to Muraaqaba. However she's too short, I'm no fan of the trainer & I have to let Hamdan win a race sometime or he'll be skint before long, no bet. 3.45 I'm not playing here either yet, the skinny one is Danzeno who looks the big improver but where's he been for two months? Not waiting for this surely. Royal Rascal has won for me before but is now out with Doc Hay & Bogart, I'm tempted to play ew on Alejandro but will wait & see. 4.25 Mowgli's York winner White Lake is in here & he was saying he'd be playing but at 11/8ish? The number he clocked on that debut win was nowt & he'd need to improve a ton to get to the level of Toocoolforschool on that one's number from the Acomb, no reason why White Lake can't of course but I'm crossing everything for Toocool & my speed figures :hope Sea Wolf is next best but from his debut on good to soft & he hasn't gone on for me. Risen has a fair number & is another one from one, again on easy ground. I can't get my head round the last & I'm hoping to be satisfied with the days work before then. Bets Ainippe 100/30 Adventure seeker 9/2 Cotai Glory 5/1 Sir Walter Scott 8/1 These pairs with.. Estimate 6/4 Toocoolforschool 3/1 2 x 0.6pt lucky 15's = 18pts staked Estimate 30pts @ 6/4 Toocoolforschool 30pts @ 3/1 10pts the double spread round Stan James, Hills & Ladbrokes, all BOG. Rio

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I'll have to round up yesterday with today later, I'm running late. Another stab at the scoop 6 with some small stakes cover, a lucky 15 perm & a pair of small singles on today's fare. Doncaster 2.05 Estidhkaar was visually impressive in winning the Superlative stakes at Newmarket in a good time but I have both Glenalmond & Belardo with better numbers. I'll stick with my figures & have a little poke at Glenalmond, the length 4th in the Gimcrack is decent looking form although the 3rd there Ahlan Emrati didn't do much to advertise it in yesterdays Flying Childers, the extra furlong should suit Glenalmond here though. Chester 2.20 I'm not a Chester fan but this is the scoop 6 first leg So the dart lands on Mezzotint & Mowgli's mate the Sprint King Mulrennan even if it is 7.5f's. Just held over C&D LTO in what looked a bit stronger race & up only a pound but he's still well handicapped on some of his old form & the bit better ground than last time should also help. Doncaster 2.40 I was told on Wednesday that Out Do was flying at home after his win in the Great St Wilfrid & a 3lb rise for that seems more than fair, no worries with the ground & from the middle draw he can go where he wants, he's in the scoop 6. I was torn between Out Do & giving Muthmir another chance but I've decided to pair the two up in the lucky 15 perm instead. Muthmir was impressive at York & I'm still trying to work out how he managed to miss the frame in the Stewards Cup & on today's term he ought to be going close. Doncaster 3.15 I seem to scratch my head at this race every year & this is no exception, Aljamaaheer should probably win but looks like one of those that needs taking on especially at the price. I've never felt that Gregorian is one to trust either & he got turned over when favourite for this last year. Es Que Love will do well to win with a penalty & Cable Bay needs to bounce back after a poor return at York. Ansgar is quite interesting but then so is That is the Spirit with Ryan Moore taking over, the trip & ground are spot on & he's worth another go at a big price. St Leger If Kingston Hill can't win on this ground then he doesn't deserve to, he is the form pick on the Derby run & was given too much to do in the Eclipse, if he stays he should win & he's got to go in the multiple perm. For the scoop 6 though I'm taking Snow Sky. The run in 2nd in the Voligieur was smart enough with Hartnell & Granddukeoftuscany behind & he just edged out Windshear at Goodwood, the extra distance should pose no problem or the ground either. Doncaster 4.25 I'm not a Bold Sniper fan & if one is going to bounce back from the run in the Ebor here than it could be Mighty Yar. I was quite taken with the 2nd behind Kings Fete at York the run before the Ebor & back at 12f's on this track with the long wide straight should suit. I can't leave out the only 3yo Mount Logan who looks progressive & should be more to come from him at this kinds of distance. Leopardstown 4.40 If I'm still going in the scoop 6 at this stage I shall be pinning my hopes on Pat Smullen, Willie Mullins & Digeanta. Doncaster 5.00 This nursery is the last leg, my numbers have Rotherwick top from his run at Ascot in a class 3 earlier in the season & he got off the mark at Beverley LTO so is in form & he's the pick. I've three joint second rated & have taken one of them Jargon for the perm. his numbers are progressive & he's won his last two. Bets Glenalmond 10pts @ 7/1 Paddy Power That is the Spirit 5pts @ 18/1 Betvictor Out Do 10/1 Muthmir 5/1 Kingston Hill 7/2 Snow Sky 6/1 Mount Logan 7/2 Mighty Yar 9/2 Rotherwick 6/1 Jargon 11/2 perm for 4 x 0.3pt lucky 15's = 18pts staked. Mezzotint 13/2 Out Do 10/1 Snow Sky 11/2 Mount Logan 10/3 Digeanta 9/1 Rotherwick 11/2 one line on the scoop 6 plus 15 doubles, 6 5timers & the 6timer to 10p stakes = £4.20 Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A round up of the last two days of the Doncaster St Leger festival. Things didn't start off that great, the fish from the shop in the old fire station wasn't up to it's usual standard :\ Anyway in we go & the first race is the Flying Childers. Having had a look Cotai Glory is the pick, so much so that I strike a bet with the on course leeches, so does Mowgli with a smaller bet on something else the name of which now escapes me. We decide to watch from the rail down by the half furlong pole for a change, off they go & Cotai Glory is in the lead but going well within himself. Coming to the final furlong I say kick & he does too & quickly puts clear daylight between himself & the rest, they sweep past us & he's home for all money but then... He's hanging into the near rail, he jinks & George Baker ends up on the floor just a few strides from the line, from cheering home a winner to all the wind out of the sails in a split second. I'd recorded C4 racing & I have to say that while he didn't actually come out & say it I got the impression that Charlie Hills was blaming Baker & thought he ought to have stayed on but I may be wrong. Looking at it again I don't think the slap down the shoulder with the whip was a bright idea but he's a tall lad & he was never staying on when he jinked & at least he was alright. These things are supposed to even themselves up & to be fair I was on Salsify when Oscar Delta tried to go round again instead of up the run in last year in the Foxhunters at Cheltenham & lost his rider & handed me a winner. However having been nutted more than an even number of times in photo finishes lately I don't think it works that way. To be honest I was feeling really flat at this point & could quite cheerfully have gone home. That would have kicked off my kucky 15 bets with a winner too, the other one Ainippe was a bit disappointing in 5th, whatever it was Mowgli backed it wasn't the winner. It didn't get any better after the next. Adventure seeker seemed to not stay having looked like he might get involved half way up the straight. Sir Walter Scott never looked like getting involved at any stage & I won't be rushing to back this one again so it's likely to hose up at a fancy price in the not too distant. Again I can't remember what Mowgli backed, I think I was still in shock from the first race but it certainly wasn't the winner Stomachion who he had backed the run before at York so more grumbles. Now I did say at this point that if Estimate were to get beat I was packing in. She won but boy did she make hard work of it, a furlong out I'm wondering how much knitting needles & some wool would cost or a stamp collecting album? Thankfully she stirred herself in the last 100 yards & was on top at the line to a huge sigh of relief. Now I do know Mowgli backed Brass Ring in this on the basis that it was the only really unexposed one in the field, hit the front at two out & then a wall after & came 6th. Things are looking up & I still have Toocoolforschool to come. First though is the May Hill, I wasn't going to play but decide that Alonsoa looks alright & may turn the form round from the Sweet Solera & have a bet. She finishes stone last......

Fergus Sweeney, the rider of ALONSOA (IRE), unplaced, reported that the filly ran flat. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the filly during routine testing failed to reveal any abnormalities.
I'm now running flat again. Mowgli backs Shagah who he seems to think Dettori gave her too much to do the last time she ran. After the race he thinks the same this time as well & it's full on chunter time now. At least we got the favourite right, she didn't win & Hamdan can't blame me this time because I wasn't backing her, Agnes Stewart took the prize for the Irish. I stick to my guns & stay out of the next, I was thinking I might back Alejandro ew but there's three non runners now & at 6/1ish I can leave this, I'm glad I did when he manages a poor 5th. Mowgli's doing his head in the paper routine & is in full on Mavis mode, at one point he's thinking he might lump on Danzeno at 5/2 because it's the only progressive looking beast in here, I agree but something is nattering me in the back of my mind & I'm not going to play, in the end neither does he. Danzeno plays up loading, looks like he's making a winning run but hangs all over & gets in a ding dong with Badr al Badoor which he loses by a head. Mowgli is relieved he's dodged a bullet & I'm happy I kept out too. Toocool up next. Mowgli doesn't fancy him, he was all for White Lake but but not at 5/4 & even less so when he is backed into 8/11 :eek Instead he has a little bet on Sprint King Mulrennan (7f's :eyes) & Sea Wolf who is a less than impressive 7th of the seven. Toocoolforschool runs a blinder, beats the speed number I gave him from the Acomb but finds Nafaqa a half length too good & a spot of revenge here for Hamdan. White Lake is really rather dreadful actually. I'm ready for off but Mowgli's decided he's going to back Arable in the last where there are five non runners & it's down to eight so we stay for that. Arable is horrible & is beaten half a mile out, he looks like being last but beats Innsbruck home in a walking match. Now we can scarper. I feel like I've had a bad day but Estimate gets a bit back from the lucky's & rescues a profit for the singles & the days stakes of 88pts returns 79.8pts so really it's not that bad it just feels that way, anyway there's always tomorrow. Saturday. There's the usual Saturday throng & I spend most of my time round the pre parade & up in the old clock tower stand. Glenalmond hardly gets things off to a flyer when he comes stone last in the opener, however it seems there is an excuse this time....
Daniel Tudhope, the rider of GLENALMOND (IRE), placed sixth, reported that the colt hung right in the final two furlongs. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the colt during routine testing found it to be lame right-fore.
A trip inside to watch the first leg of the scoop 6 at Chester where Mezzotint is out with the washing & I'm out of the running & it has the feel of being one of those days. Things look up though when Muthmir bolts up in the Portland despite being blocked in his run. However I'm still scratching my head over how this one has managed to miss the first four in the Stewards Cup in between this effort & the win at York when I have a place only bet on, all I can think is it had to be the track. Still I'm off & running. No bet in the next because That is the Spirit has defected, it used to tell you on the BHA site why they'd been scratched but the new all singing all dancing updated site doesn't now, I suspect they thought the ground was too fast. The Leger next, I'm stood with another bloke from the racing club at the pre parade when Kingston Hill walks past & he's not the parade pick for us, maybe he always looks porky? Snow Sky looks well enough but gets in a bit of a tizz in the main ring. I watch this from the Clock stand, Kingston Hill comes down the outside at the furlong pole to hit the front & then drifts across to the far rail & wins by just over a length from Romsdal with Snow Sky another two lengths back in 3rd. The bing bong goes but they're not going to chuck him out for that are they? They don't & I have my second winner. Mount Logan is backed into 7/4 & also sails into the lead at the furlong marker & now I have three on the spin, the Might Yar is nowhere. At this point a look at my perm shows I have the three winners in the same lucky 15, of the two running for me at 5.00 I need Jargon to win to land the full set, if the other one Rotherwick scores I'll have one with the treble & two with a double. Mount Logan was in the small scoop 6 saver bet & I wander inside to watch the Leopardstown race where I have Digeanta running for me. He flatters up the straight before fading into 7th & it's back outside where they are in the main ring. There's more room now & I can get near the parade ring, both look alright but worryingly Jargon has gone for a right walk in the betting & goes off at 11/1 which is double the price I've taken but should he prevail I am on at BOG. He can't, in fact he beats one home & is pretty dreadful....
The Stewards considered the running of JARGON (FR), ridden by Adam Kirby and trained by Michael Bell, which finished unplaced. They noted the trainer's representative could offer no explanation for the colt’s performance. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the colt during routine testing failed to reveal any abnormalities.
Back to the usual shrug of the shoulders then. Rotherwick runs well enough for 3rd beaten just over a length & it's time for me to bale out. A 10pt loss on the singles with the lucky 15's returning 65.55pts from the 18pts so another day in front. A profit of over 140pts on the four days which with just a little bit of luck could have been a good deal better, still I'd have taken that at the start of the meeting & will now. I was going to have a low key week but I suspect I will fetch up at Thirsk tomorrow where Smarty Socks is declared even if I fail to get the requested owners badge & I may yet decide to head to Beverley on Wednesday &/or Ponty on Wednesday, we shall see. Singles etc W/R 31-131 Stakes 2096pts Returns 1979.34pts Profit/Loss -116.66pts Multiple bets Stakes 1256.25pts Returns 1114.94pts Profit/Loss -141.31pts Lays W/R 1-2 Profit/Loss -2.5pts Scoop 6 -£21.70 Expenses £1250 ?Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Thirsk today where Smarty Socks runs in the 3.40. I've a trixie perm on today covering two selections in three races, there are just two possible doubles not covered so I've added those, should I hit three winners it's evens they line up or there will be three doubles, I've added the singles to double stakes. I also have a place only bet. 2.10 The place bet is in this race. I have Twilight Son top rated for this & as he's had just the one run he ought to be able to improve on the salisbury maiden win of a month ago at this class level but he's a best priced 4/6 & I'm not playing at those odds. It's 10/1 bar one & the place terms should be a 5th so I'm looking at the second top rated here Just the Tip who's won twice & put up a decent enough number when 3rd LTO at Musselburgh in a class 3. The best price is 11/1 but I'd take 2's in the place only market, she's a shade under that but I've put in an order for 2/1 & should she not get matched it will cancel. 2.40 A selling nursery where all bar two have posted poor times at this sort of level including Black pudding who's an uneasy jolly. Jersey Belle is top rated on her 4th three runs back to the useful New Providence at Donny, it's possible she was flattered by that having run just alright at Lingfield after that & not so good LTO but she was bumped leaving the stalls. If she ran anywhere near the Doncaster number she would see these off. Snoway put up a fair enough time over a furlong less here LTO & is the only other one with a worthwhile time figure, I'll have these two here. 3.40 This is Smarty Socks race. He ought to be winning this on his best form but he's not shown that this season although he has run a bit better than the bare form a few times. There ought to be a decent gallop on here which would help & a better run is expected today. The slight worry is if he wins he will go back up in the weights & wouldn't therefore get in the 0 to 85 at York that's penciled in to be his last ever start next month. I have the dual C&D winner Comino as the main danger, up 4lb for a win here LTO & this is a class higher but still just a 3yo so should be more to come. 4.15 This would seem to revolve around the gelded since getting stuck in the mud Mutawathea who returns after two months off, if it was the ground then why lose the dangly bits though & I feel this one needs taking on. Mr McLaren is one I have gone with, looked progressive until a poor run two starts back when the ground was easy at Newcastle & back on track with a decent 2nd LTO. The other one is Hostile Fire who also looked progressive until LTO at Haydock but ran into traffic problems there. Bets Just the Tip 5pts place only @ 3.0 betfair pending. Jersey Belle 6/1 Snoway 8/1 Smarty Socks 6/1 Comino 11/2 Mr McLaren 11/2 Hostile Fire 6/1 4 x 0.5pt trixies + 2 x 0.5pt doubles & 6 x 2pt singles = 21pts staked Spread between Betvictor, Skybey & Bet365 all BOG Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Again another decent day, nice weather, couple of winners so all should be well but really its not, more on that in a bit. Twilight Son missed the break & was out the back for a long way in the opening nursery but then coming to the last furlong he really started to motor but needed a gap. He got one when my small hope for a place Just the Tip was obligingly moved off the rail to let Twilight Son storm through to win in what I have as a fair old time for the grade & this one looks a bit more than a handicapper to me. Just the Tip was 4th, did I get matched for the place bet? Of course I did! The seller up next. Jersey Belle could only manage 4th but Snoway ran a good race for a neck 2nd to the other Channon runner Chilworth Bells in a fair time but the other two have run faster for me. David O'Meara was running a bit of a monster in the 3yo+ maiden with Sirdal, crikey he was a big bugger for a 3yo & he was a bit on his toes as well without getting in a stew on a warm day, he had to be worth a little ew at 20/1. He ran alright until asked for an effort 2f's & then he sort of plodded on but this could be a decent sort given a bit of time although it was a pretty rotten race with the jolly Eye Contact taking an age to get past Milkwood who's now had 26 starts & has yet to win but was only run down in the last 50 yards. Smarty Socks up next. I'm the first in the parade ring & still the only one when Danny Tudhope arrives, I ask him what he thinks & he says the grounds riding softer than the official going, he's always been better on a straight track & generally he doesn't sound very bullish. The trainer arrives with some other members & he's on the phone, barely says two words before legging Danny up & off they go. He's held up, makes a bit of late headway without ever looking like getting near & is 7th. The report today is he's fine but doesn't seem to have the gears anymore, the good news is that he will get in the race at York that will be his swansong, all I will say is I hope he will be trying a bit harder than yesterday & leave it at that. I'm not that bothered though because Comino has hit the front two out & held on well to score by a half length & the SP is a bonus at 8/1 so :p:p:p Things get even better when Hostile Fire lands the next to get me a double up in the trixie bet, shame Snoway didn't oblige because they would have fallen in line :eyes Hannagan was scrubbing away at Mutawathea from a long way out & he was soon beaten.....

Paul Hanagan, the rider of MUTAWATHEA, unplaced, reported that the gelding hung left handed in the straight. The Stewards ordered MUTAWATHEA to be routine tested.
I suppose if it was on the easy side it might have been the ground again but I suspect not & losing the crown jewels doesn't seem to have worked so far. At this point I exit & therefore miss the same owner, trainer & jockey land the second 3yo+ maiden of the day with Karraar who still sports a full set of tackle despite taking eight goes to break his duck. That's it for Thirsk for this season, had I not had an owners badge for the last two times I wouldn't not have gone again this year after the first meeting of the season & when I renew my Go Racing in Yorkshire I shall be having a right pop at them about the lack of facilities for the ordinary racegoer. Nothing from the 5pt place bet but the 21pts on the trixie perm returns 66.25pts. Singles etc W/R 31-132 Stakes 2101pts Returns 1979.34pts Profit/Loss -121.66pts Multiple bets Stakes 1277.25pts Returns 1181.19pts Profit/Loss -96.06pts Lays W/R 1-2 Profit/Loss -2.5pts Scoop 6 -£21.70 Expenses £1260 All being well I shall be at Ponty tomorrow. Twilight Son TwilghtSon_zps6888c973.jpg Snoway in green is just held Finish_zps144f2ffb.jpg Smarty Socks SmartySocks_zps6274e44a.jpg Comino wins the race Comino_zps911c5c4d.jpg Hostile Fire HostileFire_zps872d8703.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A bit grey & murky out with the threat of showers but it's up & off to Ponty this afternoon where I have a single which also goes into a lucky 15 perm as a banker. 2.30 I backed Free Entry FTO at Beverley in May where she was beaten just a nose & she's since managed to find one too good in another three tries. I have her top rated on her second run but she wasn't as good at Bath LTO but then that may have been the oddity in this Country of firm ground (no watering at Bath) & she is the form pick but not a bet at around 6/4 with that row of ducks. Clergyman is next best from the run at Bath on good (must have rained) LTO & should go well but stall 8 is not ideal round here. Third best is Signoret from debut run over 5f's at Carlisle but didn't seem to get home at 6f's back there LTO, back to the minimum should help but this is a stiff track too. Cumbrianna improved on her debut run without clocking a great figure, big gap between runs & should go well again. Gold pursuit showed promise in a modest time on debut at Thirsk. Of those that haven't run Etienne Gerard & Charlie's Angel's trainers 2yo's tend to need a run or two & Smoke Ring might be worth a look from Donald McCain's. Secret Glance is probably the most interesting of the newcomer's & this yard can ready one but has the worst of the draw in 9. I'll need a look at these but won't be backing Free Entry. 3.00 Broctune Papa Gio is in good nick & runs here off the same mark as when landing a Redcar Apprentice event LTO under today's useful claimer, this is a slightly better class of race & does seem a bit of a Redcar specialist but should run well. Fazza likes it here & won a division of this race off a pound more last year, should run his race again. Potent Embrace took a while to get on the scoresheet but may do better now, back in trip & has a pen but the stiff track should help. Not that confident but I'll go with Broctune Papa Gio & Potent Embrace. 3.30 Legal Waves beat Potent Embrace at Hamilton by 8l's when he finally landed a win after a string of placed efforts, should potent Embrace win/run well that would frank the form but I'll take this one on with Sophisticated Heir & Cosmic Halo. Sophisticated Heir looks an improving sort & is two from three for the yard since arriving from Ireland, up 4lb for a win at the trip/class at Beverley LTO. Cosmic Halo won what looks a slightly better race than this at York LTO & carries a 6lb pen for that, George Chaloner knocks half that off though & she should go well on ground she likes. 4.00 Misplaced Fortune is a bit of a standing dish in this & has won it twice but is a 9yo now & there are a few progressive looking sorts in here. Ishiamber has won five of her last six but is up in the weights & may find this level too tough. Ziggy's Secret is upped 6lb for a Yarmouth win & again this is a better race. Guishan has landed a hat trick but is up 16lb from the first win & again in class. Jamesbo's Girl ran well in a better race than this at York LTO & the drop back to 6f's from that 7f's should suit. Won at this level at Hamilton the time before & we'll see if Mulrennan can live up to the sprint king tag here. 4.30 Hard to know what Chevalgris' best trip is but worth another go at this kind of trip after running well at Thirsk at 2m's two starts back. Aiyana may be a bit better on the aw but has only had three turf starts & the 2nd here at 1m 4f's last October was decent & she's worth putting in here in a weak looking affair. Bets Jamesbro's Girl 10pts @ 7/2 paddy Power Broctune Papa Gio 5/1 Potent Embrace 5/1 Sophisticated Heir 7/2 Cosmic Halo 5/1 Jamesbro's Girl 7/2 Chevalgris 3/1 Aiyana 3/1 Perm for 4 x 0.3pt lucky 15's = 18pts staked Spread round Skybet, Paddy Power & Betvictor, all BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A quick round up of Ponty. Free Entry broke her duck but off the bend into the straight she seemed to be struggling & went to 15 in running, not a race to take anything from. Potent Embrace was one of several to get a bit warm before the race but got the job done to get me off & running, however that was it for winners. Sophisticated Heir & Cosmic Halo both disappointed but not as much as Jamesbo's Girl who was a big let down when fading tamely after leading for 4f's. Aiyana made a race of it in the 2m 1f handicap but was beaten by a half length. the return from the lucky 15's was 7.2pts from 18pts staked, nothing from the 10pt single Singles etc W/R 31-133 Stakes 2111pts Returns 1979.34pts Profit/Loss -131.66pts Multiple bets Stakes 1295.25pts Returns 1181.19pts Profit/Loss -114.06pts Lays W/R 1-2 Profit/Loss -2.5pts Scoop 6 -£21.70 Expenses £1270 Having a run to Catterick today so more in a bit. Potent Embrace gets on top PotentEmbrace_zpsdf710318.jpg Start of the 2m 1f race Start_zpsa3eae422.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A stab at the scoop 6 with the pot boosted by a £300k injection making it more interesting, the small stakes cover bet is on too. A lucky 15 perm & a rare lay bet at Catterick. First the scoop 6 Leg 1 Tasaday has soft ground form & the slight drop back in trip & in class should suit here. Leg 2 I'm thinking high draws in the big sprints at Ayr so Majestic Moon is the choice to be up there from stall 24. Leg 3 Arab Dawn ran well back from a break at Doncaster last week & should go on the ground. Leg 4 Sky Hunter is one of those that Bin Suroor seems to have ruined since arriving from Fabre & the two poor runs have cost him the dangly bits, personally I'd be gelding something else before the horse. I'll go with Sennockian Star back down in trip. Leg 5 Mecca's Angel ought to win this on the ground with several defecting as well. Leg 6 Fahey's mob handed in this, I'll have his Heaven's Guest from box 24. Catterick. 2.10 The lay is Midlander who I have top rated from his Yarmouth run on his second start but he's had six tries & has yet to win & threw in a shocker here when I backed him at a short price in July. He's got beat twice more since then & LTO was only 4th at Carlisle when 10/11 & two & a half lengths in front of him was Doppler Effect who is in here on the same terms so why should he turn the form round unless its the extra furlong & Doppler Effect seems just as likely to be suited by the step up. 2.45 Flash Fire ought to win on my numbers but is not a bet at 5/4ish. 3.20 I like Mambo Rhythm for this, she won a class 3 LTO & is up 8lbs but the rest have been running in much lower grade & while Crakehall Lad & Scrafton won LTO that was at class 6 level & Mighty Missle keeps finding one or two too good in class 5/6 as well. Mambo Rhythm is the banker in the perm. 4.30 A decent handicap. Zeus Magic is on a hat trick & Megan Carberry knocks five of the 6lb rise off for a battling win at York LTO. Poetic Verse has been running well both on the flat & over hurdles, Joe Doyle also claim a useful 5lb. Indira is in cracking form & is a C&D winner which is always good round here. Sir Charles Kunz doesn't seem to stay this far & was well beaten here three runs back at the trip. Tinseltown loves the track & was 2nd in this off the same mark last year but the last two runs also here have been poor. I'll take Poetic Verse & Indira. 5.05 There shouldn't be much between Gioia di Vita & Midnight Warrior on these terms on the Newcastle race where they were 1st & 3rd LTO & I'll take them both in whats a pretty rotten looking affair in truth. 5.40 Day of the Eagle is getting well handicapped & sports first time blinkers but hardly looks progressive at 8yo's. Orwellian ought to give me a run for the money with Joe Doyle taking 5lb off again. One that is progressive is the 3yo Smart Alec who was a C&D winner two runs ago & then a fair 3rd in a better race also over C&D LTO. Bets Tasaday 5/2 Majestic Moon 16/1 Arab Dawn 6/1 Sennockian Star 100/30 Mecca's Angel 5/4 Heaven's Guest 20/1 One line on the scoop 6 + 15 doubles, 6 x 5timers & the 6timer to 10p stakes = £4.20 Lay Midlander at 2.34 for 10pts betfair, matched Mambo Rhythm 11/4 Poetic Verse 9/2 Indira 4/1 Gioia di Vita 11/2 Midnight Warrior 11/2 Orwellian 9/2 Smart Alec 9/2 Perm for 4 x 0.3pt lucly 15's = 18pts staked Betvictor BOG Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary At around 4pm on Saturday I'm feeling rather brassed off & I'm thinking "This is one of those days" About an hour & three quarters later & the rollercoaster has gone back up again before heading back down with a bit of a comedy moment & I'm feeling much better. Things don't start too badly when Tasaday manages 2nd at Newbury to at least keep me in the place part of the scoop 6. However the lay goes wrong when Midlander makes all to win with Doppler Effect 8.5l's back in 3rd, just the turn round of 11l's there on the same terms & I got it wrong, it was the same trip, the form book once again dangles on a bit of string behind the door of the smallest room. Having said that the going was supposed to be good, good to firm in places but that race was actually the nearest to standard all meeting & that was some 3.28s slow! There was some light drizzle about but nothing much but I did notice before I set off that it said they'd been watering & one wonders just how much of the wet stuff the berk of the course had put on? If that was good, good to firm then I'm a Chinaman! At this point I wandered into the Betfred shop where I watch the well backed Toocoolforschool win the Group 2 Mill Reef down at Newbury by half the length of the straight having failed to win a Listed race at Doncaster just over a week ago when I'd really fancied him, I suppose it could be that he just handled the soft ground down there better than his rivals although not carrying the burden of a few pound of mine might have helped :eyes Majestic Moon gets a mention in the Silver Cup, just the one & then ends up 16th! Flash Fire wins the second race at Catterick & then Arab Dawn manages a respectable 4th at Newbury & Sennockian Star is 2nd to the now nutless Sky Hunter up at Ayr. Things are looking rather grim & get worse when the banker in the lucky 15 perm Mambo Rhythm runs a shocker in the Catterick 3.20 having drifted to as long as 9/2! I would have thought this might have prompted the stewards to have words but it seems not, perhaps it was siesta time :zzz Mecca's Angel wins down at Newbury going off as long as 13/8 which with the defections & the ground in her favour is strange, this means I might yet get a return from the scoop 6 back up bet should Heaven's Guest oblige, he runs a decent 4th. Kiss of Spring is in the maiden back at Catterick, I backed this one at Ripon a few weeks back but not when she got beat at Newcastle after & I'm leaving her alone her at 11/8. Looking at them the pick is Mendacious Harpy but she's had 13 tries already & I leave the race alone. Lucky 14 for Mendacious Harpy as she wins by a half from Kiss of Spring who's beginning to look like one that might be expensive to follow. I've two running for me in the 4.30. Indira is well backed but Poetic Verse is a drifter. Just to prove they can win Poetic Verse moves up to challenge off the turn in with Joe Doyle motionless, he takes it up before the furlong pole still not moving & then the cheeky bugger looks through his legs! This is all very well but I'm still not entirely over George Baker falling off in the shadow of the post last week & can't help barking "Get on with it" A little shake of the reins & she's there, big sigh of relief. I'm heading for a look at them for the next when it given out that Smart Alec won't run in the race after which is one of my two. My two in this first though are Gio di Vita & Midnight Warrior. Gio di Vita stinks the place out, never looks like getting involved but the stewards can't be bothered with the 9/2f running a shocker however they are busy with interference of the final bend & Midnight Warrior getting involved in some bumping close home before scoring by a half under Joe Doyle again. A check of where I am shows I have Poetic Verse & Midnight Warrior with the non runner Smart Alec, if Orwellian can win the next I'll have two more doubles up but can't hit a treble. With two not running now Orwellian goes off 15/8f & Joe Doyle is on a hat trick. Now the comedy moment, The Blue Banana & Orwellian are in similar colours & the course commentator has Orwellian in front heading to the final furlong, he's convinced me & I'm just thinking I've landed another winner when they sweep past & I can see it's number 7 & not number 1, bugger. However the commentator further messes up by saying "First number 1, second number....." It's at this point he realizes that number 1 is the runner up & as there can't be two number 1's something else has won, I'm down the stairs from the stand & heading for the exit when he corrects himself sounding somewhat embarrassed. In the end I'm quite satisfied, for a long time the feeling of one of those drives home where I'm having a right old chunter to my self was in the offing. The lay cost me 13.4pts. The 18pts on the lucky 15's returned 60.9pts. Singles etc W/R 31-133 Stakes 2111pts Returns 1979.34pts Profit/Loss -131.66pts Multiple bets Stakes 1313.25pts Returns 1242.09pts Profit/Loss -71.16pts Lays W/R 1-3 Profit/Loss -15.9pts Scoop 6 -£25.90 Expenses £1285 Beverley finish for the year tomorrow but the card doesn't inspire & I'll swerve that, Ponty on Thursday may be on the cards, Dansili Dutch has been entered at Haydock on Friday & I have half an eye on that. Scrafton won the race & the best turned out for Mambo Rhythm's race, I'm not entirely sure who picked him for BTO was looking at the horse! Scrafton_zps41d488c2.jpg Mendacious Harpy returns from the lucky 14th run MendaciousHarpy_zpsf8c8b6ca.jpg He looks a cheeky young bugger that Joe Doyle PoeticVerse_zpsc7b9d0bb.jpg Here he is again with Midnight Warrior MidnightWarrior_zpsa8073412.jpg

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Having decided to miss the Ponty card yesterday its off to Haydock today with the owners head on, Dansili Dutch runs in the last which is the final of the Haydock Apprentice Series. I've had a couple of singles & a lucky 15 perm with a pair of races with three picks & another pair with two split between Haydock & Newmarket, there are three maiden races at Haydock for 2yo's where I expect to play in at least two of them having had a look. Haydock 1.30 I have this down to three, I was trying to get to two but couldn't hence the larger perm today. Ze King ran into one in top form LTO & providing he goes on fastish (I hope) turf then he should be thereabouts, the three turf runs where he was a tad disappointing were all on soft & I note that Kirkland has had the taps on again :eyes I'm just hoping he hasn't overdone it. Hallbeck won two starts back & then ran into traffic problems LTO, only a 3yo so more to come? Slunovrat is another 3yo that looks to be progressing & makes up the trio in the opener. Haydock 2.00, 2.30 & 3.00 Three 2yo maidens In terms of my numbers Excilly is well clear on those that have run with a just held C&D 2nd a couple of months back but she's odds on, if I do play it may be on one of those making a debut depending on looks. The second division has nothing that has run boasting a decent time, again a look will be required. The other maiden has got even less to go on, Yazan's time in a C&D race three weeks ago was ordinary & again I can see one making a bow taking this & another look is required beforehand Newmarket 2.10 This ought to concern the 3yo's. Queen of Ice has a pen for a win at York where she was allowed a bit of a soft lead which I don't see her getting here. This looks a bit harder than the Goodwood Listed event that Jordan Princess won LTO but she should go well. Criteria is the other way in that this is a bit easier than some of the races she's been placed in this season & she is one pick. My Spirit has progressed from handicaps to place in Listed races the last twice, needs a bit more but only had five starts so it may be there & she's the second pick here. 3.15 Captain Cat ought to have at least been closer if not won the Celebration Mile at Goodwood after a less than inspired ride two runs back under James Doyle & then was a cosy winner of a Haydock Group 3 under George Baker. Doyle gets back on here & will surely have been told not to mess up this time. Tullius won the Sandown Mile in the Spring & then ran two solid races at Group 1 level after that the last at Royal Ascot, goes well fresh & ought to be in the mix here. Haydock 3.35 A nursery where I have more form & numbers to go on. Profitable heads my figures on the C&D 2nd to Squats two runs back but is a only a point less on the run a nose behind that same rival at Ascot LTO. Squats has run well at Listed class since & I like the consistent number that Profitable has posted & he's backed in a single. Harry's Dancer is next best on the numbers but both her best two runs have been at Thirsk. Showing Character's best run from three starts was the middle one on fast ground at Chester & he gives them all weight here. Clouds Rest doesn't seem has progressive has some of these & I have no number for La Cuesta's win on the new surface at Wolves LTO this is the one that worries me the most. 4.10 Pearl Nation has been in top form & may still have more to give so is one pick. Yourartisonfire seems to like it here & on these terms there shouldn't be much between him & Pearl Nation on the run at 7f's LTO so he goes in. I have included Si Senor who's having a go on grass for the first time with all bar one of his eight starts being at Kempton & that was on the Lingfield aw. Looks progressive though & should he take to turf he may yet improve more. 5.20 The way she's been running Dansili Dutch ought to be involved in the finish & was worth an each way at 10's last evening with four places, however the inevitable non runner takes it down to 15 & now just three places :eyes There are no thoughts on the website as I write which is a tad disappointing but she's off the same mark as when running so well in the legends race under Michael Hills & with regular partner Josh Doyle back on & claiming 5lb she should as I say get involved. Bets Profitable 20pts at 3/1 Bet365. Dansili Dutch 5pts ew @ 10/1 Betvictor Ze King 13/2 Hallbeck 8/1 Slunovrat 15/2 Criteria 4/1 My Spirit 6/1 Captain Cat 4/1 Tullius 11/2 Pearl Nation 11/2 Yourartisonfire 11/2 Si Senor 13/2 Perm for 9 x 0.2pt lucky 15's = 27pts staked, spread between Skybet, Betvictor & Betfair Sportsbook, all BOG Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I'll have to round up yesterday with today later, bit of a change of plans I was going to go to Ripon for their last meeting of the year but now I find myself heading back to Haydock with the owners head on again because Balducci runs in the last. What's now becoming a regular stab at the scoop 6 is joined by six singles at Haydock with four of them in a lucky 15. Newmarket 2.00 The scoop 6 first leg is a nursery for which I have Frank's Little Lady Katie top rated on her last run at Doncaster where she finished well & the extra half a furlong here looks sure to suit. Frank also has Tagtale in this :eek but she looks out of her depth to me, however with Little Lady Katie going in at 50's three runs back who knows? Franks at Haydock today so I may suggest we chuck a few bob at the reverse exacta or the swinger just in case. Little Lady Katie is the leg 1 pick. Market Rasen 2.15 I was at Doncaster when Mijhaar made an impressive bow over hurdles last November on good ground. He then fell at the last at Huntingdon having got tired on the heavy ground & was a fair 5th in a grade 2 hurdle at Aintree on good to soft when last seen. The forecast good (watered :eyes) ground here ought to suit & he ought to run well under McCoy. Market Rasen 2.50 Ballincurrig looked progressive when landing a hat trick in the Spring before only getting as far as the first at Haydock where he was brought down when last seen in May. Looks like another that will like the ground here & can regain the winning thread. Haydock 3.00 This is the second of two maidens that open the card I was going to leave both until I'd had a look but having run the numbers for those that have run this second race contains an interesting one in Town Council who while he was beaten nearly 8l's on debut at Sandown the time for that was pretty good, he looks sure to come on for that & is worth an ew at a big price. The jolly is Emirates Skywards who was just held on his bow at Ffos Las in a slow time two weeks ago & the 3rd there has got well beaten at Beverley since, no reason why Emirates Skyward can't improve/run faster but at the prices I know which one I'm having a poke at. Newmarket 3.10 I have Tiggy Wiggy well clear on her Lowther run & I'm loath to take her on but Richard Hughes said he wanted the line to come close home at York & the this 6f's is a different kettle of fish to the Knavesmire's. Anthem Alexander was closing in 3rd at York & is second rated & really ought to be my pick but I keep looking at High Celebrity of Andre Fabre's who put an ok number up behind Arabian Queen (also in here) at Newmarket in July but has since scored back home in France & thinking why is Fabre coming back? Because he thinks she can win, I hope he's right, if he's not then come on Tiggy. Haydock 3.35 This is leg 5 but I'd decided to go with Run With Pride who looks more unexposed than most of these & he ran a good 3rd at the Leger meeting in a big field handicap. He goes in the scoop 6 & is worth a single & including in the lucky 15. Newmarket 3.50 I was thinking look beyond the jolly here but Cornrow has stacks going for him. Unexposed, fine 3rd at Ascot over 7f LTO which would have been on the sharp side & off the same mark here. draw in 30 looks fine, ground is no problem & the trainer knows what it takes to win this race. Haydock 4.10 One place in front of Run With Pride in that aforementioned Doncaster handicap was Counter Ridge on what was only her second run for Marco Botti since arriving on these shores. The drop back to 5f's shouldn't be a problem & neither should the ground, she ought to be thereabouts. Haydock 4.45 A hike of 11lbs & up in class from the win at Brighton LTO but This is the Day looks the progressive one & I'd rather have her than Shama who threw in a stinker when last seen at York in May. Haydock 5.20 If Sir Walter Scott wins this I will take some calming down after backing him the last twice. I'll go with Aramist who looked to be improving until the last run over C&D where he found all sorts of traffic problems & given a bit more luck in running he can go well. Haydock 5.50 Balducci looks to be the in form one of those that are exposed in this & he's up just a pound for that cracking 3rd at York a month ago, he likes the track & is two from two here at the trip. The other exposed ones are searching for form & I suppose one could bounce back. The two 3yo's seem to have lost their way recently & the 4yo Bold Prediction keeps going up in the weights for finding at least one too good. The one who may be a big danger is the bottom one Big Baz but this is a bit harder than the two races he's gone quite close in the last twice. Really Balducci ought to be in with a big shout, the one problem is he seems best when leading & there are a few in here that like to be up there & I'm hoping he can get to the front & dictate like he did here in July :hope Bets Little Lady Katie 7/1 Mijhaar 5/1 Ballincurrig 7/1 High Celebrity 9/2 Run With Pride 9/1 Cornrow 6/1 Betvictor BOG 1 line on the scoop 6 + 15 doubles, 6 5timers & the 6timer to 10p = £4.20 staked Town Council 5pts ew @ 20/1 Skybet Run With Pride 5pts @ 12/1 Bet365 Counter Ridge 5pts @ 10/1 Betvictor This is the Day 5pts @ 7/1 Skybet Aramist 5pts @ 8/1 Paddy Power 1pt lucky 15 these four at 9/1, 9/1, 7/1 & 8/1 Skybet Balducci 10pts @ 4/1 Coral All BOG Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary So two days at Haydock, I've mentioned the rollercoaster ride on a number of occasions, this is a belter. Having started off with a decent freebie lunch in the owner's & trainer's it's off outside to watch the first where I have three running for me. The decent is rapid, 16 runners & the best of mine is Ze King in 8th, the stewards decide to have a word about the other two.....

Raul Da Silva, the rider of SLUNOVRAT (FR), unplaced, reported that the colt was never travelling. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the colt failed to reveal any abnormalities.
Dane O'Neill, the rider of HALLBECK, unplaced, reported that the filly was never travelling. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the filly failed to reveal any abnormalities.
I wonder if the stewards ever get fed up of hearing the same (non)excuses? I decide to wander back to the O&T's for a coffee & I'm stood outside with Frank when we see a bloke walk up to the board behind the coffee shop near the parade ring & add the sign for "good to soft in places" to the good that is already up. "Is that Kirkland then"? I ask Frank. "I think so" is the reply. The Racing Post website says the going was changed after the first as we saw, speaking to a chap on Saturday who was watching Racing UK on Friday they said the same. I asked at least four people during the rest of Friday & not one of them had heard it given out on the PA that the going had been changed & I'm 99.9% certain that it was never announced, it seems we don't need to know or is Mr Tellwright worried that some misinformed & irate punter might chuck a beercan at him a la McCoy? I'm ready to take this odds on favourite on in the first division of the fillies 2yo maiden. I've an idea I might have the Coolmore owned, Gosden trained Lap of Luxury but she's rather disappointing looking to these eyes when they parade. The up & coming Hugo Palmer's Spirit of Sound looks the part though & I decide to back her. Excilly does indeed get turned over at 4/7, by Lap of Luxury who collars her close home at 10/1 :eyes Spirit of Sound beats two of the 10 runners home. I pop into the betting shop & watch Queen of Ice make every yard to win at Newmarket, Criteria flatters in the dip but only briefly & is 4th one place ahead of the never in it My Spirit. Back out to view the second lot of 2yo fillies & I decide I'll go with Mallymunkin. This one races all on her own up the stands rail, comes 5th & leaves me rather less than satisfied. Another 2yo maiden, this time all males up next. Velociter is a nice looking animal & I have a poke at this one at 20/1. He actually runs well for a long way before fading into 7th & will win a race somewhere. Fannaan wins for Hamdan & the just under £3k for winning should keep the wolf from the door a little longer. I get wrapped up in looking at them for the nursery where I have my main hope of the day in Profitable & forget about the Newmarket 3.15 where Custom Cut wins again for O'Meara & Tudhope with Captain Cat the best of my pair in a well held 2nd. Profitable is well backed into 6/4, makes good progress at 2f's out & hits the front at the one, just when I think I've landed one he drifts badly left to the far rail & gets beat a neck by Rosie's Premiere....
The Stewards noted that PROFITABLE (IRE), placed second, by ducking quickly left approaching the furlong marker had interfered with LA CUESTA (IRE), placed third, who then interfered with SHOWING CHARACTER, unplaced, but after viewing a recording of the incident they were satisfied that it neither involved a riding offence nor improved PROFITABLE (IRE)’s placing.
No it didn't improve his placing, for me it cost him the race, looking at his form he's not done that before, what a time to start. If the lucky 15 perm is to return anything I need one of three to take the next. Si Senor gets nearest having had to be switched several times to get a run & he's 4th beaten only around 1.5l's having been on a tour of Lancashire, Pearl Nation plods on for 6th. Graham's here & knows those with a leg in Yourartisonfire, not John O'shea & Wayne Rooney some others & he goes off to the parade ring with them. Yourartisonfire goes off the 4/1f & runs a shocker, Joey Haynes is after him from the start & he trails in last....
The Stewards considered the running of YOURARTISONFIRE, ridden by Joey Haynes and trained by K. R. Burke, which finished unplaced. They noted the trainer's representative could offer no explanation for the colt's performance. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination found the colt to have lost a left fore shoe.
Well it's something. Frank's nap of the day is William of Orange who's one of those Prescott improver's that suddenly hits form when banged up in trip & who won here LTO & is now up 6lb. It doesn't interest me at evens & still doesn't when it drifts to go off 13/8, he wins by a length but has to work hard for it. Now it's Dansili Dutch. There was nothing on the website when I set off but I'm informed by one of the others who has read the late post that she is not fancied, oh great. Out comes young Josh, he's going to hold her up for that late run again, off they go. Bag a spot on the part of the stand for the owners & trainers & they are off. Up the straight & three furlongs out she's behind a wall on the far side & needs a gap. Two out & the gap opens, Josh goes for it & it closes just as quickly & he switches to the right. She's picking up but then gets blocked again, Josh switches right again but now we're in the final furlong, Dansili grabs the bit, steams down the outside, mows them down & wins going away by a length & a quarter with us shouting her home. Back on the up in no uncertain terms. Most are heading for the exit, we're heading for the winners & then off for a spot of fizzy stuff, what a game this is. A small rule 4 means the 5pts ew returns 69.38pts, nothing from the perm but I walk off track with a posted profit at least & Saturday to look forward to. Saturday. The freebie lunch once again hits the spot. Franks backed Little Lady Katie at Newmarket but not Tagtale & decides he'd better have a few bob on ew & joins me & another chap in having a couple of quid on the swinger. We are rather surprised when Katie is up with the pace & rather disappointed when she curls up quite tamely in the last furlong. Tagtale was there until halfway & then vanished beating just the one home which happened to be the 9/4f Sandy Cay, still if you don't buy a ticket.... The scoop 6 bites the dust at the first, Mijhaar disappears at the second last at Market Rasen, not a good start. The Haydock opener is a 2yo fillies maiden, I pick Galileano who's scrubbed along early in the straight & runs past beaten horses for 4th behind the quite impressive newcomer Loaves and Fishes. Back to Market Rasen where Ballincurrig is pulled up before three out. I have Town Council in the other maiden up next at Haydock, he looks well & runs well & like all good ew bets gets beat a neck for 3rd :eyes Still it could have been worse, the jolly Emirates Skywards takes it up two out, goes clear & looks home for all money until suddenly he's going up & down on the spot in the last few yards & gets caught by the Queen's runner Mustard on the line. Emirates Skywards went 1.01 in running with Mustard at a high of 790, should anybody ever catch me betting in running then they have my permission to ring for the rubber bus to cart me off to the funny farm. Tiggy Wiggy wins the Cheveley Park under a cracking front running ride from Richard Hughes. Hang on let me read that again........ Yes a cracking front running ride from Richard Hughes. While the time I have given her is far from slow its nowhere near what she's run before, especially that last run in the Lowther & he's stolen or been allowed more like a soft lead & had plenty left in the last furlong. Actually I'm not bothered that High Celebrity was only 3rd, Tiggy Wiggy has been just about the star of the season for me, even if I've hardly got her right betting wise. Back at Haydock & Run With Pride just about does that in 6th without ever really looking like getting involved. Bronze Angel wins his second Cambridgeshire with Cornrow a disappointing 13th. The only ammo I have left is here at Haydock but not with Counter Ridge who has defected from the 4.10 One of the other club members is sweet on Smoothtalkinrascal who it seems had a wind op before the no show in the Portland LTO but he will have needed that, should he run owt like he will hose up. I have a bit on ew. He runs nowt like :\ At this point I'm hoping for a repeat of Friday but things suddenly turn back up when This is the Day nips up the far rail in the next to hit the front at the furlong pole & hold on by three parts of a length. That gives a small profit on the singles & with the non runner effectively meaning I have two singles up a very small profit on the lucky 15. Should Aramist win the next I may yet end up with a fair return. He runs well but can only manage 3rd. The Cat was on commentary duty & reported that the 9yo Sirvino had gone badly wrong early in the straight. He'd then unseated Dane O'Neill & to the general horror of everyone ran past the packed stand with his broken back leg swinging, he was quickly caught & the screens went round, there are times when I hate this game. Balducci up next. Beth reports him fine & everybody is pleased at the stable by the run of Dansili Dutch the day before. Out comes Danny who tells us he's thinking of tacking over to the stands rail, we tell him one ran alone there yesterday (Mallymunkin) & was well beat, he doesn't say much. Off they go & its round to the spot where we cheered Dansili Dutch home. Running & from the wide draw its hard to lead but he's up there, they turn in the straight & he goes on his own to the stands side & is soon under pressure. He's allowed to coast home & is last, we can't believe that, I'm not bothering with the inquest, I may say something that might count against me getting a badge again, the stewards report hardly soothes the fevered brow...
Daniel Tudhope, the rider of BALDUCCI, unplaced, reported that the gelding was unsuited by being asked to race alone on the stand side rail. The Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of the gelding during routine testing failed to reveal any abnormalities.
I still think I'd better keep the trap shut. Not a post race peep on the website as yet. The scoop 6 bet returned nil. With the non runner the singles returned 40pts from 35pts staked. The lucky 15 returned 17pts from the winner & non runner. Singles etc W/R 33-140 Stakes 2176pts Returns 2088.72pts Profit/Loss -87.28pts Multiple bets Stakes 1355.25pts Returns 1259.09pts Profit/Loss -96.16pts Lays W/R 1-3 Profit/Loss -15.9pts Scoop 6 -£30.10 Expenses £1305 Scrutiny is in at Newcastle on Wednesday but the ground is reported to be good, good to firm in places & as he is deemed to need it soft I suspect he may not run, then again what do I know? I would think it will be a quiet week until a run up to Redcar on Saturday Lap of Luxury LapofLuxury_zpse9b22c15.jpg William of Orange WilliamofOrange_zpsfb2974a2.jpg Dansili Dutch before Dansilli1_zpsa06e00ee.jpg Dansili Dutch after Dansili2_zps3b3d0f7a.jpg Loaves and Fishes LoavesampFishes_zpsb9c1b24c.jpg Mustard Mustard_zpsbafdb88f.jpg This is the Day ThisistheDay_zps1463d33e.jpg Balducci but the light is going in the trees Balducci_zps2abd0a86.jpg Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary As I suspected Scrutiny was taken out at Newcastle on Wednesday because of the fast ground, he is declared for the 10f seller at Redcar tomorrow but would need the forecast rain to arrive if he is to run. The going is currently good, good to firm in places, 9.0 on the going stick & watered! The intention is to go to Redcar regardless of whether he runs or not & I haven't bothered asking for a badge. A change of plan it seems for Smarty Socks who runs at Ascot today & probably misses the York race which he was targeted at next week. That race was an apprentice event so Danny Tudhope can ride him today, he likes the track, the ground & distance are right as well & while he's not what he was one would assume he will be trying. The progressive looking one is Charter who won a similar class race at Newmarket LTO wearing a first time hood (on again here) & a 4lb rise looks fair enough, the pick of his form seems to be at 6f's & he's looked a little one paced tried at 7f's before but it could be that he's just improving now & will act at the distance here. Nameitwhatyoulike was around 4.5l's in front of Smarty at Thirsk on his first run for Bryan Smart & there is a 6lb swing today, he's actually still quite well handicapped on his best form but seems to need it on the easy side to show his best. Lulu the Zulu has been running well but never really got involved after missing the break at a mile here LTO in a class higher, the close 2nd at Goodwood the time before, also in a class higher reads well & she should be thereabouts given a better start. Good Authority is going back up in the weights for some decent recent runs but they were at a slightly lower level than this & might find one or two to beat him again here. Scottish Glen beat Lulu the Zulu a length over C&D in July & is only a pound worse off with both having gone up in the ratings, there ought to be little between them today. The rest are struggling for form or need a big improvement. If I was just looking at the race I'd probably take Charter &/or Lulu the Zulu against the field but I think I'll just have a small ew on Smarty, hope we don't get any more defect to go to three places & leave it at that. Bet Smarty Socks 2.5pts ew @ 10/1 Ladbrokes BOG Rio.

nice to see that your still around rio keeps me coming back to check on your misadventures trials and tribulations of a world class punter I want the book next
thanks gord but I think after yesterday its more world class plonker....
If I was just looking at the race I'd probably take Charter &/or Lulu the Zulu against the field but I think I'll just have a small ew on Smarty, hope we don't get any more defect to go to three places & leave it at that.
Charter wins at 9/2 with Lulu the Zulu 2nd at 8/1, Smarty beats two home & his old legs have had enough :eyes Anyway ever onwards. Its a dull wet morning here, the report from Redcar is its good, good to firm in places with rain forecast, that was two hours ago though. I'll have another stab at the scoop 6 although should I get it I suspect that half the Country will & it will pay ten bob (that's 50p for you youngsters) The rest of the punts are three trixies with added singles & a single..... The first leg is the 2.20 at Newmarket which seems to mainly revolve around the 6f race here two weeks ago that Secret Brief won with Bossy Guest, Ballymore Castle, Heartbreak Hero & Yorkie Talkie all behind him & having another go here. I have Secret Brief just top rated on that run from the crassly named Pipe Bomb (shame on the naming committee for letting that go) however not that far behind is Misterioso who was not disgraced after a break when 4th in the Royal Lodge a week ago. Interesting that he appears so quickly & he's the pick here for the scoop 6 & in a trixie+ The second leg is the Group 3 Oh So Sharp at Newmarket where the exposed Astrelle is top rated from Prize Exhibit who's also had a few runs. Local Time is going the right way but I'll take Yodelling who posted a fair enough number on her debut & looks open to plenty of improvement. I'll get to leg 3 in a minute. Leg 4 is the Group 3 sprint at Ascot at 3.15. Tropics let me down at Haydock in the Group 1 there four weeks ago but he won this last year & I'm giving him another chance here back at his proper class. Leg 5 is the Sun Chariot with Andre Fabre going mob handed at winning this which is unusual for him in this Country. This actually is a corking race which I wouldn't have a bet in if it wasn't a scoop 6 race but would just savour, the pin lands on Esoterique who's won at the track & is back against her own sex having run well against the boys LTO, any rain would be a plus. Another pin job for the Ascot 3.50 where I'm on the Bunbury Cup winner & Ayr Gold Cup 4th Heaven's Guest, he's won here as well, the step back to 7f's should suit & George Chaloner knocks off 3lb. Redcar There are two divisions of the 2yo maiden at 2.00 & 4.20. In the opener I'll be against Shootingsta & Awjab who have both had a few goes & their numbers are nothing. A similar tale in the other division although Purple Rock might take a bit more beating in this, after a look I'll probably take something making its debut in both races. In the seller at 2.30 Scrutiny is still in as I write but looks to have a job on beating Innsbruck but still looks the main danger to the odds on jolly in a really poor affair. The 3.05 is the big 2yo race & leg 3 of the scoop 6. On my numbers the one to beat is Limato, in fact the only thing that can stop him landing this for me is the aforementioned wet stuff. I don't want rain, if it does bang it down I can see him coming out because he's missed races recently because of the ground. The nearest one to him is Bronze Maquette who probably would prefer it to lag it down but has to give Limato 2lb & if it stays fast enough I don't see him doing that :hope I also don't want rain for Patentar in the Listed race at 3.45. This would be my idea of the best bet of the day, totally unexposed & hosed up at Lingfield in a minor stakes race three weeks ago on fast ground after a break from his one poor run on soft ground at Sandown in May. Tawhid is another Bin Suroor inmate that's lost his tackle after two poor runs this year & might bounce back but if they'd done that to me I wouldn't run any faster for them. If it does rain heavy then Penitent would come into it despite having a pen for the Group 3 win at Haydock earlier this season. The major disappointment earlier this week was the non appearance of Sheriff of Nawton among the entries for the Straight Mile Final at 4.55 which was supposed to be the intended late season target, no idea why & there's nothing on the website at this point. I've two in this, Anderiego who's the stable selected & has been in decent form & Knight Owl who was in front of a few of these when winning a qualifier here LTO. Bets Misterioso 7/1 Yodelling 5/2 Limato 7/4 Tropics 11/2 Esoterique 11/2 Heaven's Guest 11/1 one line on the scoop 6 plus 15 doubles, 6 5timers & the 6timer to 10p = £4.20 staked Betfred Limato 7/4 Patentar 3/1 Anderiego 7/1 Limato 7/4 Patentar 3/1 Knight Owl 6/1 2 x 1pt trixies + 3 x 2pt singles = 20pts staked Stan James Misterioso 7/1 Yodelling 11/4 Patentar 10/3 1pt trixie + 3 x 2pt singles = 10pts staked Betvictor Patentar 10pts @ 10/3 Betvictor, all bets BOG Rio

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Another up & down day yesterday, still it could have been worse. Things got off to a flyer. In the opening Redcar race my eye was taken by Richard Fahey's Belle Travers, a nice looking filly with a bit of size & scope. The jolly Shootingsta was playing up a bit, nothing drastic but having had four starts already you'd think he'd know what it was about by now. Having wandered round the front of the stands I had a bit ew on Belle Travers & decided on a spot near the rail just after the half furlong marker. Away they go & she's tracking the pace, into the last furlong & Awjab sets sail for home but Belle Travers is after him with Shootingsta 3rd & the rest well beaten. They pass me & she's upsides & getting there but they flash past the post & on the big screen she doesn't look to have got there, still the place part will do & I set off to get a picture, I've just arrived at the winners & they give it to Belle Travers by a nose, result & picture taken its back to collect. Next up is the colts 2yo race at Newmarket which I watch on the big screen, Misterioso manages 6th while the race is won by my top rated Secret Brief :spank That's the scoop 6 dead after leg 1 again. Next up is Scrutiny in the seller which I'm surprised he's still in because there's no change in the ground, in fact before the first I saw two blokes come off the track near the winning post with the gong stick & sharpened walking sticks & heard them tell another chap no change in the going. I haven't got a badge but security is next to nothing here & wander in the parade ring anyway. It seems that after the first Sam James has reported that they are just getting in & he can take his chance. While I'm in there I ask Beth if Sheriff of Nawton is alright because I'd expected to see him at least entered for the Straight Mile final. She says he fine but doesn't know why he wasn't put in the race. Away they go, I can't see Innsbruck getting beat here & he doesn't but takes until the last few yards to get past the leader Mixed Message & anybody backing one of these at 1/2 must have nerves of steel. Scrutiny is 3rd (one non runner so two places :eyes) some 11l's further back but Sam reports that even with the slight ease in the going he wouldn't let himself down on the ground. He might well win a race this lad but will want it like a bog & time is running out this turf season. I'm looking at the big screen afterwards for the Group 3 at Newmaket when the betting comes up & Yodelling isn't in it, one bursts through the stalls & there is a delay so its off to look at them for our big 2yo race. Nothing I see puts me off Limato & heading back to the front of the stands I catch Local Time winning at Newmarket on the big screen. Another of the members as backed Limato & I say I can't see him getting beat. He doesn't, in fact he is seriously impressive, he's up near the pace & eases to the front a furlong out with Graham Lee motionless, I don't think he moved a muscle all the way to the line & wins pulling a bus. I've yet to work out the ratings but whatever he clocks he is value for more. I'm getting a little bit back from the scoop 6 back up bet but need another from the last three to break even. Tropics lets me down again at Ascot after taking a tour of Berkshire & coming 4th. Esoterique takes the same spot in the Sun Chariot where they seem to crawl for a long way & allow Integral a really soft lead which she takes advantage of to score. Heaven's guest runs a decent 3rd in the last leg. In between we have the Listed race which is down to six runners now & Patentar is well backed to 7/4f. Unfortunately this is the big disappointment of the day as he's a well beaten 4th & never looked like getting involved. Muteela makes all for my mate Hamdan, don't worry sunshine I'll settle your hash today, more in a minute. A look at the runners for the second division of the 2yo maiden & Purple Rock certainly looks well enough but I'm not playing at 11/8ish. Muhtadim for Haggis & Hamdan looks nothing special here & makes a bit of late headway for 7th in the race & it wasn't me that stopped this one your sheikhiness. No the one I burdened was Lone Star Boy from Tom Dascombe's & for the first three quarter's of the race it looked like I'd stuck a few hundredweight on it's back rather than the few pounds I had invested. Richard Kingscote reported afterwards that the colt had run green, he wasn't kidding, he hadn't got a clue but made a bit of late headway & has the "Nearest finish" comment in the form line, big improvement expected NTO methinks. Purple Rock dotted up for the jolly backers bounding clear in the final furlong to score by just the 5l's. The trixie's could still show a profit if either Anderiego or Knight Owl to get the job done in the Mile Final. Knight Owl was especially disappointing in 10th having been well backed, Anderiego was a bit better in 8th. At this point I decided to bail out with no financial interest in the last two races. Nothing then from the small ew on Smarty Socks on Friday or the disappointing Patentar for a 10pt loss. Limato returned 11pts & the 2pts from the non runner meant a return of 13pts from 30pts staked for the trixie's. Fred will have had a look down the back of the sofa for the 28p from the scoop 6 back up's :lol Singles etc W/R 33-142 Stakes 2191pts Returns 2088.72pts Profit/Loss -102.28pts Multiple bets Stakes 1385.25pts Returns 1272.09pts Profit/Loss -113.16pts Lays W/R 1-3 Profit/Loss -15.9pts Scoop 6 -£34.02 Expenses £1325 I can't let Cotai Glory go unbacked in the Abbye today, rodeo George can't do the weight so Ryan Moore takes over & the 2yo's get a good WFA allowance in this, I'd rather be blazing away in front in this race as is Cotai's want than trying to pick a way through late. Having dusted off my "Flying Dutchman theory for the Arc I find myself going for Sheikh Hamdan's Taghrooda :eek:eek:eek who can leave the Yorkshire Oaks form behind (going into season) & a return to the level of the King George win would see her bang there with the draw the only niggle as the trip & ground should be perfect. Bets Cotai Glory 5pts @ 12/1 Ladbrokes Taghrooda 10pts @ 8/1 Bet365 both BOG Belle Travers BelleTravers_zpse3b04cc2.jpg Scrutiny Scrutiny_zps4edea679.jpg Limato before the race Limato_zpsf0d96e3b.jpg & back to the winners Limato2_zps36b42495.jpg Patentar Patentar_zps09437ff1.jpg Purple Rock PurpleRock_zpsfb77ef32.jpg Anderiego in natty headgear Anderiego_zps56126fa9.jpg Rio.