** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Embassy World Snooker Championships

Guest DannyCash

Guest DannyCash

It's 1.95 one of the "big three" will win on Betfair... O'Sullivan 4.6 stake 16 points Williams 6.2 stake 12 points Hendry 7.4 stake 10 points 38 points staked returns just under 74 points if any of them win (must take off commission though) I'm tempted. Danny

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Embassy World Championships I've gotta say Danny, I think this is one of the most wide open WC's I've seen in years. You may laugh, but I won't even rule out Jimmy due to his run of form. Interesting fact. The Snooker rankings are based on a 2 year cycle. For the very provisional rankings starting September 2005, Jimmy is ranked No.3 in the World! :eek

Guest qxsad

any thoughts on who to lay www.wheelsinmotion.net/to...Tourn_ID=9 This is the draw,the top half looks quite easy compared to bottom half.also the 2nd quarter loks like higgins has an easy one. I was thinking of laying williams,looks like he will meet hunter in the quater final.williams is playing badly this year.In the players championship he struggled and just about beat his opponents. also might do a lay of Crazy ronnie:loon :nana !!! to unpredictable and don't think he is up for it this year. I like hunter to win it and if he gets past williams then would probably play higgins,which he should beat to get into final fairly easily. any thoughts????

World Snooker Preview We're back at the crucible yet again and it doesn't seem 2 minutes since last year. Here's my preview as I do every year. ;) In my opinion there are only 10 players who can win it and that's substantially more than usual! This WC is the most open for a long time, so I will go through them one by one. :) One other thing I will say about this tourny. Do not dismiss out of form players too easily, this tourny is 2 weeks long and it is known for players to "play themself into form" such are the marathon matches. Paul Hunter Hunter is my favourite for the title, I backed him last year and was gutted when he let slip a big lead to Doherty, although Doherty played some excellent stuff rather than Hunter making lots of mistakes. Hunter has an excellent draw and you can safely put him into the quarter finals without breaking sweat. He is seeded to meet Williams there, but Williams is struggling of late. Summary: Hunter has a BIG chance in the easier half. It's just a shame the value has gone in his price because of his recent final appearance. Ronnie O'Sullivan The most talented player to pick up a cue, but also the craziest. He can reel off 3 frames in 15 minutes and make sure you are keeping your seat very warm. Similar to Hunter, I think Ronnie will breeze into the Quarter Finals unless his head goes, Maguire will test this more than Hann (poss 2nd opponent). Can he win it ? Of course he can, but the bottom half of the draw is the toughest by miles. Summary: A tough draw, but I would rather lay him at his price this year. Stephen Hendry The greatest player of all time. Hendry has been inconsistent this season, but you can never rule him out. 7 times World Champion speaks for itself but I just don't like his murmurings this season about "I can't be bothered" etc...very unlike Hendry. I honestly couldn't back Hendry despite his superb record here, I believe the tough half of the draw will find him left short. Summary: Not this season, an early exit on the cards, possibly to Jimmy White. Mark Williams Last year he was simply awesome, absolutely awesome. This season he has been very indifferent, kind of expected I suppose because you cannot keep up that standard of play. A superb, gritty, 2 times World Champion who has a habit of winning matches when not seeming to be playing well enough. He is in the easier half, but is seeded to meet Hunter and that will be a tough match. He cannot be ruled out if he plays himself into form, which is very possible. Summary: In the easier half, but has to get past Hunter in the quarter finals. Cannot be ruled out and a live chance. John Higgins What do you make of this former world champion ? An excellent player at his best and one I rate highly, but has gone from a very consistent player a few years ago, to an extremely inconsistent player at the current time. 147 man earlier this season, then lost some matches you just wouldn't expect him to. Summary: The easier half makes it impossible to rule him out, but like Williams, needs to improve whilst the tourny is in running. Ken Doherty Another former world champion and at his best is a superb player but he does lack self belief at times in my opinion. In fact, Doherty infuriates me at times, because I have always said he has the ability to dominate the game, yet seems to suffer from bouts of lack of confidence. However, Doherty also has a good record here and I cannot rule him out for the title, even in the harder half of the draw. Summary: A live chance even in the harder half. Peter Ebdon Ebdon has been awful for most of the season, but the longer matches suit him and he will be hard to beat. His form has been a lot better in the last 2 tournys, winning in Ireland and semis of the last tourny. Summary: Always tough to beat here and his form is just peaking, cannot be ruled out. Stephen Lee This guy also infuriates me. Lee has the best "Rolls Royce" cueing action out of all the players, but mentally he is quite weak. Extremely talented, scores heavy and his potting is superb. Summary: I just don't think he has it in him to be a World Champion. Matthew Stevens This season has been quite poor. Am I ruling him out ? No, because I don't believe you can rule him out here and I do believe he will win it one day. In the easier half, but is seeded to meet good friend Hunter in the 2nd round, on form he can't win, but he can pull it out of the bag and he will need to. Summary: I think Hunter will be too strong for him, but should he upset Hunter, he has every chance. Jimmy White The great debate. Will Jimmy ever win the WC ? Well let's look at the facts. He has lost 6 times in the final. This would indicate he doesn't have what it takes, but I would like to challenge that. He lost 5 times to Hendry, 4 of which, Hendry would have beaten God, Allah and Mohammed if they had tried to challenge him. He did "bottle" it once in the final frame, he simply rushed the shot and Hendry made an incredible clearance to foil him again. Parrott also flew out of his tree, the year he beat Jimmy. Jimmy has since beaten Hendry once at the crucible and more importantly twice this season. He has also won his first ranking tournament for 12 years and is playing much more controlled snooker than I have ever seen him play. He knows he can't play at the pace he used to and quite frankly that is a good thing as most fast players cannot control the adrenalin once the big pressure shots arrive. Summary: He has a tough draw, but is arguably the player of the season. Jimmy White can win the title I assure you, whether he does is another matter. His price was 81.00 a few weeks ago and is now top priced 34.00. Other Outsider Contenders Everyone knows how much I rate David Gray, but he looks a little lost this season and has struggled. He is fearless at his best but would need a massive improvement here to feature. Ali Carter is also a superb player who I rate highly. He has suffered from medical problems this season which have hindered him, but he has now virtually fully recovered. Could there be a shock winner ? Carter would be my choice if there was, but I don't expect it. Steve Davis is a 6 times World Champion and bar Jimmy White, there wouldn't be a more popular winner. He has been in good form, but just looks to be a little short of what's needed here, but I wouldn't dismiss him totally. Forget the rest. :lol

Guest qxsad

great review!! I really like Hunter aswell and I am going to back him. might wait till later in the week as I feel most of the public will be going for Ronnie,Williams and Hendry and Hunters oods might drift. I think i will lay williams and Hendry,but again will wait till before tourney starts as laying price should be lower

Guest qxsad

where can i get good stats on worls championship Cant seem to find anything good by googling. I want stats on players highest breaks,no. of centuries. all that sort of stuff as i want to check out the speciality bets such as player to get highest break and chance of 147. any help appreciated!!:clap

Guest davidcampbell

higest break betfair offeirng a market on above currently 147 3.15 144-146 3.1 in other words at 1/2 shot that at least 144 is scored. must be a number of years since lower than 144 was the highest break surely?

Embassy World Snooker Championships 1976 John Spencer 138 1977 John Spencer 135 1978 John Spencer 138 1979 Bill Werbeniuk 143 1980 Kirk Stevens 136, Steve Davis 136 1981 Doug Mountjoy 145 1982 Willie Thorne 143 1983 Cliff Thorburn 147 1984 Rex Williams 138 1985 Bill Werbeniuk 143 1986 Steve Davis 134 1987 Steve Davis 127 1988 Steve James 140 1989 Stephen Hendry 141 1990 John Parrott 140 1991 Jimmy White 140 1992 Jimmy White 147 1993 Steve Davis 144 1994 Alan McManus 143 1995 Stephen Hendry 147 1996 Tony Drago 144 Peter Ebdon 144 1997 Ronnie O’Sullivan 147 1998 Jimmy White 143, John Higgins 143 1999 John Higgins 142 2000 Matthew Stevens 143 2001 Joe Swail 140 2002 Matthew Stevens 145 2003 Ronnie O'Sullivan 147 :ok

Embassy World Snooker Championships Based on these stats, I would rather dismiss the over and back the middle and low bracket. Haven§t checked, but there would be no price at all on the lower end, though. Not exactly the kind of market I would get excited about anyway. Good luck, david.:)

Guest davidcampbell

1st round Peter Ebdon 1.25 Mark J Williams 1.12 Paul Hunter 1.10 Matthew Stevens 1.28 Stephen Hendry 1.07 Ronnie O'Sullivan 1.14 every year when the world champs come around i do a mad accy in the 1st round. its like an illness toned it down a little this year and i really can see past these 6 1point on the above :unsure

Guest westcoast

Re: 1st round Paul,i seem to remember you giving some advice a couple of years back on 1st rd accumulators for the world championships,all well odds on but lump 5-6 together and get something like evens-5/4 have you any thoughts on this,this year i like the look on a 5 timer acca on higgins,o`sullivan,hunter,hendry,and ebdon.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: 1st round I am going to have a couple of quid on one of sporting odds specials: Matthew Stevens 10/1 to be top seeded player to be beaten in 1st Round. I know Stevens is a quality player and has a good record here, but I have had a look at his results and he hasn't won a single tournament match in 2004. He is up against James Wattana who has had plenty of Crucible experience. On these grounds I might also have a tickle at the 11/4 for the match result.

Embassy World Snooker Championships If I had to pick 5/6 players to win their first round matches it would be.... Hunter, Hendry, Ebdon, Jimmy, Doherty, Stevens. But saying that, it's not like before, the standard keeps rising and it wouldn't shock me to see 3 4 or 5 seeds out in the first round. I have this horrible feeling Jimmy is going to lose to Pinches. It wouldn't be a total shock as Pinches is flying.

Guest plucey73

Bets I placed these bets about a week ago, so the odds may have changed. Also, at the time of this post, the M.Williams match was completed - sorry:o . 10pts: Dale D. v Williams M. @ 1.11 Parrott J. v Hunter P. @ 1.11 Day R. v Higgins J. @ 1.15 Odds 1.42 2pts: Dale D. v Williams M. @ 1.11 Parrott J. v Hunter P. @ 1.11 Day R. v Higgins J. @ 1.15 Hicks A. v Hann Q. @ 1.30 Pettman S. v Hendry S. @ 1.06 Maguire S. v O' Sullivan R. @ 1.15 Walker L. v Lee S. @ 1.22 Odds of 2.74 1pt: Dale D. v Williams M. @ 1.11 Parrott J. v Hunter P. @ 1.11 Day R. v Higgins J. @ 1.15 Hicks A. v Hann Q. @ 1.30 Pettman S. v Hendry S. @ 1.06 Maguire S. v O' Sullivan R. @ 1.15 Walker L. v Lee S. @ 1.22 McCulloch I. v Ebdon P. @ 1.25 Pinches B. v White J. @ 1.30 Odds of 4.45 Good luck:ok

Guest andybud

Embassy World Snooker Championships What do you guys think of a White / King double tomorrow a@ 2.30? King has been pretty good recently and is playing Graeme Dott ... a player who has never really impressed me (bet he kicks ass now! :) ) Jimmy is obviously on a "high" (no pun intended :) ) after winning last week. Dont know loads about Pinches, though his recent tournament results dont seem to great! What about Ebdon? would he be a better choice than Jimmy? Cheers

Guest davidcampbell

Edbon i prefer ebdon myself andy 1.22 against mcculloch is easy meat for him never been a big fan of jimmy white (probably get lynched) and i cant see myself ever backing him for anything btw, maybe im being dim, but whats the pun?