Fintron vs RussP - The Handicap Challenge!

RussP

For a bit of healthy (and friendly) competition, Fin & I have decided to have a head to head on flat handicaps, starting from tomorrow until the end of the flat turf season. Simple rules are:

1. Up to 50pts every day (no penalty if you don't use them)
  2. Win or EW singles only (or win & place on Betfair)
  3. Early prices accepted
  4. Flat handicaps only (turf or AW)
  5. No limit to the amount of bets per day
  6. More than 1 bet per race accepted
  7. Winner is the one who has the most profit at the end of the season

Prize: the loser has to buy chocolate fudge cake & a round of drinks for 4 at the next PL meet:lol Let battle commence:nana.....Ponty & Bath to kick us off. Good luck Wayne;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fintron vs RussP - The Handicap Challenge!

Well on recent form it means Russ will have two bets a week and Fin will have 4 bets a day:lol Good luck both, the strategy alone should be interesting:ok
:lol:lol:lol In all seriousness, I probably won't post every day but do expect to have a lot more bets - there will be many more than 2 a week;). I've definitely got one for tomorrow so that's the first....will post up later:ok Cheers guys for the support. The main thing is for us both to end in profit though. I'd be happy with that, even if it costs me a pint & piece of chocolate fudge cake:tongue2

:lol:lol:lol In all seriousness, I probably won't post every day but do expect to have a lot more bets - there will be many more than 2 a week;). I've definitely got one for tomorrow so that's the first....will post up later:ok Cheers guys for the support. The main thing is for us both to end in profit though. I'd be happy with that, even if it costs me a pint & piece of chocolate fudge cake:tongue2
Yeah, as long as we both end up in profit then thats the main aim. My approach will be as in my thread, fire plenty of bullets at the target and hope one hits - for the reasons discussed in our debate over betting motivation and selection policies. Just for the benefit of anyone that didn't go to the last PL meet, the reason why we've picked fudge cake for a prize isn't a random decision, its a bit of a running joke everyone had with Russ and Mrs RussP at the last PL meet up in Edinburgh after Mrs RussP was caught in Wetherspoons opposite the hotel eating fudge cake for breakfast at about 8 am in the morning!! Good luck Russ :ok

Re: Fintron vs RussP - The Handicap Challenge! Two for me to kick things off today.... 5.40 Pontefract Top Bid - consistent sprinter that is only 4 lbs higher than last win. Was well beaten at Nottingham on heavy ground last time out but on faster ground here is entitled to finish closer. Finished mid-division on only previous try at this track but well drawn today unlike on previous visit, and expected to run well for Tim Easterby. 8/1 Stan James, 5 pts EW (3 places, 1/4 odds).

3.10 Pontefract The excellent record of Neil Callan over marathon trips is something I have highlighted recently and he extended that record with a win on Saga de Tercey. His record over trips of thirteen furlongs or more in the last five years (GB flat) now stands at 38-175, 22 % S/R, LSP +55.13, so his booking on Ameeq looks significant here. Pace shouldn't be an issue here with Casual Garcia and Secret Ploy in opposition and he shaped as if in need of a more thorough test of stamina was needed when second at Haydock last time out, off only 2 lb lower. 13/2 SJ, 5 pts EW (3 places, 1/4 odds).

5.40 Pontefract Top Bid - consistent sprinter that is only 4 lbs higher than last win. Was well beaten at Nottingham on heavy ground last time out but on faster ground here is entitled to finish closer. Finished mid-division on only previous try at this track but well drawn today unlike on previous visit, and expected to run well for Tim Easterby. 8/1 Stan James, 5 pts EW (3 places, 1/4 odds).
Non runner mate:ok

Re: Fintron vs RussP - The Handicap Challenge! Good luck Wayne:ok. I have just one for today, not using the full 50pts but am having half that on: 5.00 Bath 2 NR's now so 12 left for this Class 5 handicap over just short of 6f. Open heat currently going 9/2 the field so plenty of EW opportunity. Bath is a track where I oppose both prominent types and those drawn in the very low stalls. With plenty of pace on here, it only enhances that fact for me and I will oppose the following due to a combination of those factors; Swinbrook, Bateleur, Triple Dream (all draw), Finnegan McCool, Don Pele, Fyelehk, Mandhooma, Miss Firefly and Wooden King (prominent types). That leaves us with just 3 but I will take out Caustic Wit due to current form and Kyllachy Storm, who can often race prominently but is equally effective being held up, as I think the price is no value whatsoever whilst it is still 4lb above its highest winning mark and is probably better on softer ground. The one, therefore, is: Bold Argument (10/1 Corals BOG) - Comes here in ok form and drawn in 6, but with a racing style and conditions that will suit today. In this apprentice heat, has one of the best on top and his tactical nouse may just prove key. Actually has a good strike rate on turf, winning 5 of its 27 starts, 4 with this jockey on board. Definitely overpriced here on its form so far this term, 5 turf runs with 1 win in 2009. Ran well at Salisbury off 65, finishing 3rd of 13 before winning at Windsor off the same mark. Is just 2lb higher today. No show in its last 3 runs but has definite excuses, the first 2 in Class 4, off 70 & 71 over an inadequate 5f, whilst lto, different jockey on top, new track, and again in Class 4. Eased in mark, dropped in grade, best jock back on top, best trip and going just about perfect makes this a nice EW bet. Ran well last time here when finishing really well to finish 5th of 14, just 1L behind the winner. With doubts over many of its rivals, I'll take this one to land the spoils. 12.5pts EW

come on man!:ok:cheers
Interregnum, are you from the right side of the Pennines then?! Apologies for the crap write up for Eton Fable. I posted via my phone on course and it took ages to load Punters Lounge so I was pushed for time. I would have posted a few more but don't really want to after-event, other than to say its easier and quicker to post on a blog than PL via a mobile ;)

Re: Fintron vs RussP - The Handicap Challenge! Cheers for the comments guys. Just one bet for me in here today on what looks a disappointing day of racing full of low grade handicaps, despite there being four cards to look at. 5.00 Kempton Carlitos Spirit is a course and distance winner and well drawn here. He made all to win at Lingfield recently so couldn't have hoped for a better draw if looking to repeat those tactics, and he is only 2 lbs higher than his last win. Fancy Footsteps looks to have rediscovered some form and although I don't rate Probert, the Cox filly is a CD winner and should go well nonetheless. Carlitos Spirit 6/1 Bet 365, 5 pts EW (3 places, 1/5 odds) Fancy Footsteps 3/1 Bet 365, 5 pts win

Re: Fintron vs RussP - The Handicap Challenge! Cheers, it was a poor day today wasn't it? However, like you say, with York on for the rest of the week, now is the time to unleash those big priced bookiebashers!!! My first bet is in the 1.45. 1.45 York Twenty runners line up for the Symphony Group Heritage Handicap and the market is headed by Hamish McGonagall for this five furlong sprint. Tim Easterby's gelding has been in very good form this season, although he hasn't yet won. He is a course and distance winner and has ran in plenty of competitive sprint handicaps, going down by only three parts of a length to Pavershooz at Newcastle and then half a length to Judge 'n Jury at Ascot last time out. Running off a mark of 99 he is looks competitively weighted, he is suited by this trip, and he looks solid placepot material. With regards to the rest of the field, Dandy Nicholls adopts his usual scattergun approach and the two of his six that appeal most to me are Northern Dare and Strike Up The Band. The former acts at this track and has recent winning form at Pontefract. For some reason I have a niggly doubt he may be staying on all too late, as he won over a stiff five at Pontefract and his solid second at Goodwood last time out also came over six furlongs. Strike Up The Band hasn't won for a year so isn't the form pick of Nicholls' runners by any means. However, he is running off the same mark as when second to Sohraab at Chester earlier in the season whilst he has also placed at this track plenty of times in his career. However, my main fancy in this race is Wi Dud from the Kevin Ryan yard. This is a horse that was one of the first names I had down for my Tote Ten To Follow in 2007 but he endured a nightmare season and failed to win a race at three. He failed to win a race at four either, however, now in his fourth season, he has hinted at signs of a revival and under 7 lb claimer John Fahy I think he could perhaps run into a place. He showed in his juvenile days that he acts at this track on differing ground, winning his maiden over course and distance and also landing a Group 2 that same season. Another solid course effort came in the 2007 Group 1 Nunthorpe when fifth behind Kingsgate Native. This season he has shown signs of a revival and has shown himself to be closely matched with Biniou, who is a decent enough type, whilst he was also third to Look Busy and Borderlescott at Haydock in the Group 2 Temple Stakes. Off the back of that effort he was sent off favourite at Epsom next time out in a handicap but flopped. However, this is a different type of track and given both of his career wins have come here, I think he is worth another chance, even off this higher official mark. Wi Dud 20/1 Totesport, 7.5 pts EW (4 places, 1/4 odds) Hamish McGonagall 7/1 Bet 365, 5 pts win

Re: Fintron vs RussP - The Handicap Challenge! Gonna use up the rest of the 50 pt daily allowance in the other handicap... 4.40 York Royal Destination is unexposed over the trip and ran a good race in defeat at Goodwood when last seen. He is up 2 lbs but should have more to offer over this trip, providing Frankie plays to his strengths and takes advantage of a low draw to keep him up with the pace. I'm also having Red Jade on side. This is a horse that has repeatedly let me down this season but he is very well handicapped on 80 based upon his neck defeat to Stone of Scone off 82 earlier in the season and although his attitude is questionable, the move to Richard Fahey could see him improve. Royal Destination 9/2 Paddypower, 12.5 pts EW (4 places, 1/4 odds) Red Jade 25/1 Paddypower, 2.5 pts EW (4 places, 1/4 odds)

Re: Fintron vs RussP - The Handicap Challenge! I, too, will be using my total allowance for the opening day of the Ebor meet:ok. First bet will be: 1.45 York The opening race at this years Ebor meeting is a top class 5f Class 2 handicap with a big field of 20 runners. Dandy Nicholls is mob handed but, without knowing how he will play his hand, I'd prefer to look elsewhere. I firmly believe the pace is high which adds to my confidence on the selection which is: Brave Prospector (10/1 Bet365 BOG) - Comes here with a top, top chance IMO. Drawn high in box 17 and, provided it gets a path through, will go close. Won the Betfair Sprint here last term off 97 before finishing unplaced on 3 tries in pattern company. Off the track for 9 months before returning in the Wokingham, a tough return by anyones standards. Ran midfield that day before a much improved run at Goodwood in the Stewards Cup lto. Was miles off the pace before finishing with a fair rattle. Exaggerated waiting tactics employed that day, but not surprising as Spencer was on top. Today, a far improved replacement, Jimmy Fortune takes the ride with a drop of 2lb. Now just 1lb above its win last term here. Does drop in trip but I think the pace will be so quick that a bit of extra stamina will suit. I expect this horse to be spot on for this and am really confident of this being in the shake up. 15pts EW