** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Cricket: The Ashes 2009

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 I wait till after day 1 to get involved in this match.

SportCricket
EventAshes 2nd Test
SelectionEngland
Strength10/10
Date20/07/2009
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 4.70 (Back)
ReasoningGood first day for England and this price looks nice! I still think some batting to go maybe get to 450. This wicket looks better for bowlers and in particular I think Anderson and Onions will be causing problems. Auatralia excellent batting in 1st test and comparisons can be drawn with that test after day 1, but I think this match will be very different. Rain is a concern but I look at recent forecasts and I don't think it will be too bad. If time is lost Englands run rate will certainly help!
SportCricket
EventAshes 2nd Test Top England wicket taker (1st innings)
SelectionGraeme Onions
Strength5/10
Date20/07/2009
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 5.50 (Back)
ReasoningI think this is good price on Onions! After first day I really think this pitch will suit Onions well. He comes into the side and this is his big chance! Australia have had match against the other bowlers and batted very well, but Onions will show them something different! This looks liek good price in interesting market!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009

2nd Test - The Draw @ 11/10 Skybet I think this one could easily end up as another draw, neither side never really look like taking 20 wickets last game, I know the Aussies got 19 but some of England's shot selections at time was awful and I would expect them to be putting that right for the 2nd test, Australia looked in command when at the crease and its hard to see England taking 20 wickets given how the last test went, I forecasted rain for the last day at Cardiff and was totally wrong so I'm not going to go on about that again but just checking the 5 day forecast and it does not look brilliant, which just makes the draw result more likely. A short price but rightly so. 2nd Test - Top England Bowler (1st Innings) - James Anderson @ 5/2 Bet365 England's bowlers took a battering last test only taking 6 wickets but Anderson picked up two of them and I think he will be most likely to lead our bowlers again here, it was all about the reverse swing in 2005 and if he gets the chance to get this ball moving then he'll pick up a few, with doubts over Flintoff I personally think his our best bowler at this present time and England will look to him for wickets.
Spooner, you can't be far away from Lords in Surrey, what's the weather like mate? It's foul as fcuk here in Luton which is probably the same distance the other way. I'm thinking of backing England but not if the weather is crap. These two you've backed are looking very good if the weather is bad because when they do play the clouds will help Jimmy's swing bigtime. :hope.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 Shedloads of rain overnight here, been raining on and off all morning so far. The sun does appear to be breaking through a little, hard to tell what its going to be like but I imagine there'll be more rain as there are also still some dark clouds about, could be one of those days where the 'showers' keep coming and halting play. :ok

Shedloads of rain overnight here' date=' been raining on and off all morning so far. The sun does appear to be breaking through a little, hard to tell what its going to be like but I imagine there'll be more rain as there are also still some dark clouds about, could be one of those days where the 'showers' keep coming and halting play. :ok[/quote'] Ta mate. I'll give it a swerve then. Odds shouldn't change too much with an on/off day. The good thing with Lords is the drainage is bang on so once the showers stop we'll be on the park. Massive couple of days in the context of the series I think.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 :ok Yeah, England are in a similar position to the last game, if they can get to around 450 again with these last four wickets and then have a proper go at the Aussies they have a great chance (weather permitting), the 7/2 (betfair) is very tempting I have to say and it looks as if people are taking it. As you say Jimmy should enjoy bowling when he takes to the field, Just hope the rain stays away from a fans perspective. Will miss most of the play today but will be glued this weekend.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 That'll teach me for taking too much notice of the weather forecast :wall. Good shout with Jimbo, Spooner. Guaranteed a return of some kind. Hopefully he can take the last 2 wickets to fall as well and get himself in the mix outright.

That'll teach me for taking too much notice of the weather forecast :wall. Good shout with Jimbo' date=' Spooner. Guaranteed a return of some kind. Hopefully he can take the last 2 wickets to fall as well and get himself in the mix outright.[/quote']Cheers. :ok I can only see him being top English bowler of the series at the momentso your bet is looking good. :hope Hussey looked in good nick also. About the weather, I think you'd be right to take note of it in the long term as we all know what the weather can be like here Kev. It could of easily started raining after tea and no more play for the day with the Aussies only two wickets down, its just one of those things.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 *in play England 2nd Innings runs, over 330.5 @ 5/6 England are currently 113-2, with KP and Bopara at the crease, Still a decent pitch to bat on, i'd imagine England will try and score quickly, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Swann, Broad, plus the two out in the middle should be able to get another 220+ runs.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 +24.10 for the series so far with 10pts on the draw in play. 2nd Test, 3pts M.Hussey Top Australian Batsmen 2nd Innings @ 5/1 Bluesq I rate Hussey as a top batsmen and he looked in good nick when they batted 1st innings, they need a massive innings from someone when they bat and I feel Hussey is capable of just that, he played some lovely shots and I think he'll be eager to get back out there.

*in play England 2nd Innings runs, over 330.5 @ 5/6 England are currently 113-2, with KP and Bopara at the crease, Still a decent pitch to bat on, i'd imagine England will try and score quickly, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Swann, Broad, plus the two out in the middle should be able to get another 220+ runs.
That was very unlucky Wongy. Had the rain not came in the morning yesterday I think Strauss would've been batting on. Bad luck mate.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 The aussies were about 9/4 at the start of play today, this seemed like poor odds to me based on historical run chases. Anyway, nice one England. Fred is the man when he's in the mood. Shame we don't play like that all the time. Should be a great series. i expect it to go all the way EDIT: Link deleted. Please contact Paul Ross at [email protected] for permission to post links.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 Poor 2nd test for me. -10.25 meaning I'm -18.75 going into this match. Going in with 5 initially but will be looking to hit the session runs markets throughout the test. Everything I've seen and heard suggests it will suit the batsmen here. Certainly Warwickshire's matches suggest that. 3pts England 1st Innings Lead 11/10 Bet365 Despite giving a few wickets away in both test matches England have gone past 400 in both their 1st innings in this series so far and I believe we can do the same here on what is likely to be a real featherbed of a batting strip. England have enjoyed some good success here in the past, none more so than in 2005 when England rattled up 400 on the 1st day and never looked back. I don't expect that to happen here but I do expect England to score well despite the absence of Kevin Pietersen. Jimmy Anderson is scoring solid runs at number 10 and that can count. Australia struggled at Lord's but I expect them to go better here however I think England have the better bowling attack and with the situation of the series, if England bat 1st and stick runs on the board the Aussies will have to chase them down pretty quickly to hit back. England's variety in their bowling attack can ensure they lead here at half time. 4pts A.Flintoff More 1st inns wickets than M.Johnson Evs William Hill Andrew Flintoff loves Edgbaston. He's got 22 wickets here in his test career at under 30 and if the ball starts swinging he'll be really tough to face. Mitchell Johnson in racing terms has gone lame. He doesn't look penetrating at all and at some point in this series if he doesn't take wickets Ricky Ponting may well lose patience with him and stop bowling him. Australia could well go in with an extra seamer in this match which would lead to Johnson not bowling as much. Flintoff is a master of getting rid of the tail so he could pick up a cheap wicket or two. He's in much better form of the pair though and with the pressure and attention currently on the Aussie quick I'll go with Flintoff to beat him in the 1st innings. 3pts I.Bell's Match Runs Over 59.5 5/6 Blue Square Ian Bell has had a decent 1st class season here for Warwickshire. He has 647 runs at 64.70 in the Championship so far this season which shows he's in decent nick. I assume this total is lower than some at bet365 because of Bell's record against the Australians but this is a much different Aussie attack on a very placid pitch which he will be very used to having played his domestic career here. I'm a pretty big Ian Bell fan and I think he can take his chance back on the big stage and notch 60 or more in this match. 1pt ew B.Haddin Top Match Runscorer 25/1 Ladbrokes (1/4 1,2,3,4) Brad Haddin is the 2nd highest runscorer in the series behind Andrew Strauss and he was 4th in the last match at Lords. I've been saying all series how good a batsman he is and with the weather potentially only allowing one side to bat twice in this match, if it's Australia who get to bat twice then he's almost 25/1 in a 6-7 runner field. Even if the match doesn't work out like that he'll only need one decent innings to feature in the shake up. He's in decent form and the make up of this ground will suit him so at 25/1 I'll have an ew punt on Haddin to be the 3rd test top match runscorer. 2pts A.Flintoff Man of the Match 10/1 Ladbrokes Andrew Flintoff showed at Lord's that he fully intends on going out of test cricket with a bang. He was man of the match there and he comes to Edgbaston where he has a superb record. He was MOM here in 2005 and averages just a shade under 50 with the bat and averages a wicket every 55 balls here. Fred's bowling really well at the minute and if he can pop up with a cameo with the bat he'll take some beating for the MOM. We've got the sentimental selection on our side too and at 10/1 I think Fred's worth a punt to be the man of the match here.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 3pts Shane Watson MOTM @ 21 Paddy Power Given that this is reportedly a batting wicket, this is a big price for somebody who will both open the batting and will bowl some more than lively seamers. Although his test record is less than flattering, Watson has been a superb batsman at first class level and I am going to back him to prove his credentials at test level too.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 Interesting choice from Ponting to bat 1st. Think I'd have bowled. I accept there's a bit of dampness in the run ups but we can steam in for these 30 overs tonight and then be fresh to do the same again tomorrow. There's no way the pitch itself can be bone dry so I expect the new ball to do something and there's every chance we could grab 3 or 4 tonight.

Not exactly a session bet but it's as good as. 4pts England 1st Inns - 50 over score Over 170 11/10 Stan James England went to tea at 56/1 off 18 overs so we need another 115 runs in 32 overs to cover this total. Andrew Strauss and Ravi Bopara are at the crease and both are looking very good on what looks an excellent wicket. Mitchell Johnson will probably bowl a few overs in the next 32 and that will help us immensely as he's all over the shop at the minute. Not only is this is a good wicket but it's a lightning quick outfield and against an Australian attack which offers no troubles I think England can move on past 170 when 50 overs of their innings has been completed.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 +11.10pts for me so far, Just gonna take one going into the final days play: Next Man Out - S.Watson v M.Hussey - S.Watson @ 10/11 Stan James The Aussies will be looking for one of these two to at least stay in at lunch and I feel Hussey will be the one who lasts longer, although Watson has shown more in the match so far Hussey is more of a compelte batsmen, his test record speaks for itself. He'll want to hit back after a being bowled out first ball in there 1st innings, Watson has something to prove but does not have that much test experience having only played 8 games and I think Hussey will last longer than his partner this morning.

+11.10pts for me so far, Just gonna take one going into the final days play: Next Man Out - S.Watson v M.Hussey - S.Watson @ 10/11 Stan James The Aussies will be looking for one of these two to at least stay in at lunch and I feel Hussey will be the one who lasts longer, although Watson has shown more in the match so far Hussey is more of a compelte batsmen, his test record speaks for itself. He'll want to hit back after a being bowled out first ball in there 1st innings, Watson has something to prove but does not have that much test experience having only played 8 games and I think Hussey will last longer than his partner this morning.
:clap:clap:clap

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 One session bet for me now. 5pts Day 5 Session 2 runs - Over 120 11/10 Stan James I expect us to see quite a few runs in this middle session as England strive to bowl Australia out while Australia look to bat England out of the game. The quickest way to make England lose interest in winning the match is to score runs quickly. Australia begin the session on 172/4, a lead of just 59 and they know that their tail starts in one wicket time. England will set attacking fields to get the 2 wickets they need to get right into the tail and with a new ball to come in the session as well Australia will have to score runs. Michael Clarke has looked supreme all series and Marcus North has played a couple of nice shots already. Graham Manou and Mitchell Johnson like scoring boundaries and the more wickets Australia lose the more likely someone is to pin their ears back and have a go a la Flintoff here 4 years ago. This is a two and a half hour session and one which I think there will be over 120 runs scored in.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 That session bet was covered by 1 run to limit the damage for the match. It would've been a profitable match for me had there been a full session on Friday night when Bell and Strauss were going nicely. Then when they came back on Sunday the conditions had changed that much the 50 over bet never had a chance. Flintoff was disappointing and Bell was 7 runs short of his total so if he'd have batted twice I'd have been fine. A bit of bad luck really so -4.20pts for me for the match. Some of the outrights were strengthened though so it wasn't all doom and gloom. The 4th test at Headingley begins on Friday.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 Big game this for my outrights. If we get through here without a result then the England win and the 1-0 are massive runners because a result at The Oval I've always thought is unlikely. Everything suggests Headingley is a results wicket and I suspect this is a strong chance of an Aussie win but I won't rule out the draw. Yorkshire have suffered a lot of draws this season here and some of them have been with 2 low 1st innings totals. So it's a pitch which I suspect could be best to bat on in the 2nd innings. I'm not sure swing will play a part and the forecast is generally pretty good. The groundsman said he's started work on the wicket early so I would expect it to stay together for 5 days and maybe be a bit slower than normal Headingley wickets. There's been a few nice side markets priced up by the odds compilers and I'm going with 6, although team news could void 3 of them. 3pts England 1st Inns Lead 6/5 Sportingbet England have led after the 1st innings of the last two test matches and I don't see it as a 6/5 shot that we'll be ahead at half time here. Not only have we led but it's been by 210 runs and 113 runs. There's the possibility that if Flintoff isn't fit that we'll play Jon Trott and have Prior coming in at 7 with maybe Broad 8 and Swann 9. That's a strong batting lineup and I've still not seen anything from this Australian attack to convince me it's anything other than my original thought that it's piss weak. There was talk of Brett Lee coming back here but I don't think that will happen now reading between the lines but Stuart Clark looks a racing certainty to play. Mitchell Johnson showed a lot more at Edgbaston and he'll be tough to face on this wicket but it will suit the batsmen on the whole so our deep batting lineup should suit them. Australia have doubts over Michael Clarke, who has been their best batsman, and Brad Haddin who was one of their best in the opening 2 tests. I expect both to play but by all accounts Clarke would still be nursing an injury. Summing it up, I see these two sides as very level and while Australia's batting quality is probably better, our depth and stronger bowling attack balances it up and so at 6/5 I'll go for England to make it a hat trick of 1st innings leads. 4pts S.Watson (+5.5 runs) to beat A.Cook 5/6 Ladbrokes (1st Inns Only) Shane Watson has batted 4 times on this tour so far and he's made 4 half centuries so he's bang in form at the top of the Australian order. I'm a huge Alastair Cook fan but he's shown a technical flaw in this series and although their bowling is crap, generally once you've shown that, the Aussies have got your number. Having been out for a duck at Edgbaston, it's over 2 weeks now since Cook scored a run. He averages 32.80 here over his 5 innings but he has passed 50 only once and although he has 23, 21, 42 and 18 in his other innings I'm not sure that will get the job done. Watson likes fast, bouncy wickets and he could well have that here 1st up and with him hitting the ball well I'll take him to stay within 5 runs of Alastair Cook in the 1st innings. 3pts B.Haddin to beat A.Flintoff 8/11 Stan James (1st Inns Only) As I've mentioned earlier in the series and earlier in this post, Brad Haddin has been one of Australia's better batsmen. He's a quality batsman who could easily get into most sides in the world as a batsman. Andrew Flintoff's batting has gone backwards since 2005 as a whole despite his cameo at Edgbaston. He's clearly injured and his injury is clearly causing him big problems and that sort of thing doesn't help your batting. He hasn't had much recovery time and I can see him struggling with the bat here. Haddin I've no problems with even despite his broken finger and I think this is a match up he can win if Flintoff is fit to play. 2pts M.Johnson Top Australia Bowler 11/4 Coral (1st Inns Only) I'm pretty happy to be on Mitchell Johnson at this price. He showed at Edgbaston that he could just be returning to the form that skittled South Africa earlier in the year. He had Ian Bell out 3 or 4 times before he finally got him and generally bowled a lot straighter and a lot quicker as well. This will be a decent wicket for him to bowl on too. It generally rewards those who put a lot into it and Johnson does that. There's lots of talk of it swinging at Headingley and it might do if it gets overcast but Matthew Hoggard says he's been struggling to get it off the straight this season and he's one of the best swing exponents you'll find. A lack of swing would hurt Hilfenhaus' chances of taking regular wickets and although Stuart Clark will be a big danger and I can't for the life of me see why they've left him out until now, I believe Johnson, who was terrific in South Africa can take the most wickets if, as I suspect, he's got his tail up. 1pt ew S.Broad Top England Batsman 33/1 Ladbrokes (1st Inns Only) (1/5 1,2,3) Stuart Broad showed us at Edgbaston that he is still in decent touch with the bat. His half century was full of quality shots and if Yorkshire's games are anything to go by and the 1st innings here will be low then Broad would look to have a very good chance down the order. There's the school of thought that if Flintoff isn't fit then Harmison could replace him and Broad would bat at 7. I must admit I don't see that happening but if it did then this 33/1 would look very big with plenty of batting to come after him. Broad top scored albeit in the 2nd innings here last year which shows he's a live contender down the order and having hit a half century last time out I'll have a small each way punt on the Nottinghamshire all rounder. 1pt ew B.Haddin Top Match Runscorer 25/1 Ladbrokes (1/4 1,2,3,4) Brad Haddin has already placed in this market at Lords and if by a strange turn of events England only bat once to Australia's twice he'd have every chance again. However as I said above, trends this season suggest that batting at the top of the order in the 1st innings here may not be easy so Haddin could come in and go well down the order. To be fair even if they do go well above him he's every bit as good as most of those above him in the order with the obvious exception of Ponting and Clarke. He scores quickly which always helps if declarations are being pushed for and things and assuming his broken finger doesn't give him any trouble then 25/1 is a big big price for someone with his ability with the bat and is almost begging to be backed.

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 Great right up kev, and i'l have greater look in the morning at your bets when i'm more awake/sober Just one question Kev if thats alright? for someone who loves the Ashes, but with regards to betting i dont have a fckn clue, with so many diferent equations that have to be taken in. You mentioned something about it being a results pitch, well i know what u mean by that, but why are the aussies the strong favourites in this test match considering their a pale shadow of teams of the past and and why do you think they will win? and what are your thoughts on the current odds 4.6 England 2.6 Oz?? CHEERS TBB

Re: Cricket: The Ashes 2009 Six hours before start and my guess would be Harmison for Flintoff; and maybe Clark for Siddle. And that's it in terms of changes (well, Haddin back). If that is the England line up it's just possible Strauss may insert. Smith did just that here last year and SA won by 10 wickets. Betfair have 'England to win toss and field' at 15.00. Looks juicy to me. 4 pts both teams to bat Day 1 @ 4-1 (sportingbet)