Haydock - Sat 23/5/09

3.10 Haydock Borderlescott is the horse that got me hooked on racing and I am a big fan. He's tough as teak and a huge credit to Robin Bastiman and the rest of his connections. Winner of the Group 1 Nunthorpe last season he has proven himself at the highest level and although he is vulnerable to younger legs, the hot sprinting star of the future - Armour Propre - has been pulled out of this race by trainer Henry Candy. Borderlescott was second to Fleeting Spirit (btn 2 l) in this race last year and is usually there or thereabouts. He is a course winner, a triple 5f winner, and doesn't mind getting his toe in. His trainer has also said he will come on for his last run. 1.62 taken TBP (Betfair). 4.15 Haydock The Galloping Shoe appeared to 'bounce' last time out at Lingfield when 4th on only his second handicap start. Jeremy Noseda's gelding had been off the track for a year prior to his second to Light From Mars at Windsor last month, and it was always a gamble backing him last time out with this in mind. However, he looked well handicapped and I will give him another chance here with that last run out of the way. The form of his Windsor second is working out ever so well with the winner, Light From Mars, finishing a neck second off a 5 lb higher mark in a stronger race next time out, whilst the head third won next time out (also in a higher grade than this and off a higher mark than 80). It may be noteworthy that Noseda has his runner entered in a Carlisle handicap on Monday. Presumably they plan to turn him out under a penalty and stay one step ahead of the handicapper, starting with a win here. The sticking point is potentially the heavy ground, but he did win with some cut in the ground on his debut to hint he is worth a punt here. 4.50 Haydock Alanbrooke was backed to win but narrowly missed out on his handicap debut at Newbury last week, finishing a head behind Simon Gray and second. However, that run will have sharpened him up and if he still has aspirations of lining up in the King Edward then he should be up to landing a handicap off this sort of mark. He has infact been raised 3 lbs for that last effort but is a winner on soft ground and could gain compensation here. 5.25 Haydock Eton Rifles looked all over the winner on his reappearance and handicap debut at Newcastle last until the eventual winner came from the clouds late in the day, but he was entitled to need the run and could gain compensation for Howard Johnson here off a seemingly decent mark. He was beaten by the useful Horatio Carter and The Osteopath last time out, but faces lesser opposition here now dropped in grade. Rated 79 (up 2 lbs from lto) for this, he was second to the useful Arganil in a Hamilton maiden on his second start, and hacked up in a Catterick maiden on his final start at three. Although he may ideally prefer an extra furlong or so I think he may have enough speed to scrape 6f and the softer ground here will definately be in his favour as his best form previous has come with some give in the ground.

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09 3.40 - FOUNDATION ROOM - W&P Won on debut last year beating a previous winner, April Pride, into a 2 1/4L 2nd place. Although April Pride hasn't won again, she has some very smart placed form behind the likes of Cuis Ghaire and Fantasia. She then followed that with a Listed 3rd behind 105-rated Icesolator. The 116-rated Finjaan was just 3/4L in front of her that day. The form of those 2 runs suggest she should be well capable of defying a mark of 88. She ran below par 3rd time up when needing the run, before showing the benefit of that run with a 6th in a valuable Sales race 2 weeks later. By Saffron Walden out of a daughter of Kris, she should be best at today's 8f trip, and did nothing to dispel those thoughts on her reappearance, when an unlucky 3rd on ground faster than ideal behind the reopposing Fareer. With the likelihood that she will improve for that reappearance, a 4lb pull with the winner, and an appreciation of the ground conditions, she can run into at least a place.

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09 You wouldn't believe the amount of dosh goes on Borderlescot up here Fin. The owners are from the East Glasgow/Coatbridge area. Any time it wins the bookies in Ballieston/Barrachnie area are literally running the white flag up. Every time it wins there was literally a line of guys collecting wads, it's a joy to behold.

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09 3.40 Fareer This race has this one thing in racing that p****s me off, a Sir Michael Stoute horse. Wow lets give him 2/1, ignore the face that he's only races 3 times in crap races and won 2 of them. This horse may be very good in this group, I don't know but honestly neither does anyone else. Fareer on the other hand has won me some green before and never unplaced. Performed well on soft in the past and not to punished in the handicap after a decent win. 5pts EW

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09 2.05 race Looks like this could be a very tight handicap. However Makaamen on a hat trick may not be able to fend off Wannabe KIng who is 3lb better off for a 1.25L defeat last time out. Makaamen is now 5lb higher than its last win at Newbury. Wannabe King didnt get it right last time out at Windsor over a mile on faster ground but stays off the same mark of 86. Chapple Hyam has hit a bit of form in the last few days & Exceptional art should be respected albeit beaten at odds on in a 5 runner race last time out at Doncaster. Those are the 3 i would be interested in the race at odds of 4/1 Makaamen, 11/1 Exceptional art & 12/1 Wannabe King 2.35 For me the race revolves around 2 horses, 4yo Lesson in Humility & 3yo Adorn. Lesson in Humility has now won 2 listed races readily beating 3 of todays opponents at Nottingham last time out. Seems to act on any ground & in my opinion will be a group class filly this year. Adorn is very interesting as the trainer doesnt think it will stay beyond 6f & after a 4th in the Grp 1 Cheveley Park stakes last season will be limited to its chances this season & takes on the older horses today. There are a few 3yo sprints to take in later in the season & this one will be watched today to see how it goes. Ladbrokes go 7/2 for Lessons in Humility & i take its experience to beat the 3yo today. 3.10 Captain Gerrard form on soft ground reads 1-1-1 & Borderlescott form on soft is 1-1, 2 of the favs are non runners leaving these 2 to defend thier unbeaten soft ground record (its heavy today but neither have encountered heavy before) Borderlescott 5/2 Skybet & Captain Gerrard is 17/2 Skybet. 3.40 Myself & Alexmac have been waiting to see where Desert Creek ends up after an impressiv display at Windsor 3 weeks ago beating Emirates Roadshow with a bit in hand. Stoutes apprentice rides & has hit decent form with 5 wins in last 20 rides mostly for stoute. Desert has won on soft ground also so the ground should be ok. 9/4 Hills. 4.50 I backed Alanbrooke last week at newbury & felt it was a winner without a penalty, however it has gone up 3lb to 81 but i would advise to follow especially with 5th place Brunston franking the form by wonnig at Goodwood on Friday. 2/1 Bet365

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09 Added odds

3.10 Haydock

Borderlescott - 1.62 taken TBP (Betfair). Odds adjusted to 1.48 because of RF

4.15 Haydock

The Galloping Shoe - 6/
1 Blue Square
, 0.75 pt

4.50 Haydock

Alanbrooke - 2/1 Bet 365, 0.5 pt

5.25 Haydock

Eton Rifles - 9/2 Bet 365, 0.75 pt

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09

You wouldn't believe the amount of dosh goes on Borderlescot up here Fin. The owners are from the East Glasgow/Coatbridge area. Any time it wins the bookies in Ballieston/Barrachnie area are literally running the white flag up. Every time it wins there was literally a line of guys collecting wads, it's a joy to behold.
Quality. He is such a pleasure to watch. I hope he sees out this season before his legs start to go, sprinting won't be the same without him.

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09 3.10 I'm going with the bottom 2 in the weights here. Look Busy 13/2 Stan James, whilst up against some decent horses here, is one of the best sprint fillies. On soft Look Busy reads 32- 11- , on heavy 3- 4- but the going is heavy, soft in places so we'll hope it dries out a little in today's sunshine for the going to be, in reality, soft. Total Gallery 15/2 William Hill, looks a progressive sort, it has a 2nd in heavy, although its wins seem to be over good/firm, I still fancy this to place. Both fit my placed LTO and within the last month preferences. Combined with it being Saturday, when any favs I back lose :D, I'm happy to go with these 2 eachway. I'd even chuck in Reverence for a tricast.

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09 2.05 Makaamem 4/1 wh bog 10 pts The ground is an unknown here as it is for virtually the whole field but this one is by Selkirk who can produce some who like some cut and indeed this one proved as such lto. The ground was officially gd-sft but arguably was a little bit softer than that and this one relished it to win and beat some of these who re oppose today. The form of that race has worked out pretty well and a five pound rise might not be enough to stop his progression. He showed his earlier class on his first run when just behind evasive and just in front of infiraad from the same yard who has shown his class this year. He has no problem winning his maiden after that and as I say won a good race lto although he was favoured by the nature of it. Really deep ground is the question mark but there is hope he can cope with it and if he does, good chance. 3.10 Captain Gerrard 7/1 bet3 bog 5 pts e.w Taking a chance that soft ground could see this one bounce back to some form. His recent runs have not been good but they have been over 6f which stretches him or on a quick surface, which at his best he goes on but perhaps he needs more cut. His trainer often has said cut suits him and looking at his form that might well be true, race in france last year and even some of his impressive two year old wins. Back to a more suitable 5f today and on a surface that should be more to his likely, he could bounce back to some form. 3.40 Desert Creek 2/1 wh bog 10 pts I backed this lto and for the inform Stoute he was a pretty impressive winner at wind. Stormed clear to win by nearly 2 lengths in the end and one had the feeling it could have been more. It wasn’t a surprising win given he showed useful ability at 2 and was always likely to build on that. Second on his first start and then showed soft ground was no problem at all with a comfortable win at yarm over 7f. That gives real hope that he can handle even softer ground today and even though he is up 7 pounds, could well have even more improvement left. 4.50 Alanbrooke 9/4 spo 10 pts This is what I said about this oen last week, ‘This one doesn’t have the benefit of a run so far this season but Johnston generally is a trainer who has them pretty fit and this one is one who could well benefit from the conditions here. He is extremely well bred and related to horses who won races like champion stakes. Last year he ran an eyecatching race on debut to stay on into fifth after a slow start. That was ain a maiden that worked out pretty well with the likes of four winds, ra junior and moresco. After that he managed to win a maiden and showed real stamina to do so. He held off future winner and a second that day and on softer ground so can go well on this ground. He steps up markedly in trip but that shapes as though it will only benefit and improve him and he could go well off 78 here.’ As it happened he ran a good race last week and was quiet unlucky not to win. He was held up in a slowly run affair before staying on really well and only was just denied to pick up the win late on. 3 pound higher today but every chance especially given that this could be even more of a test that really should suit him even more.

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09 310 Haydock - Look Busy - 5pts ew @ 7/1 >betfred Had a high level of form over 5f last season suggesting that a Group 2 is within her grasp. Didnt last 6f last time but can return to winning ways over this 5f trip with form on this type of ground proven.

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09 525 Haydock - Makshoof 5pts ew @ 9/1 >bet365 The course and ground are the key to this ones chances. He has an impressive record of 4 wins from 5 appearances at Haydock, 2 of which came on heavy ground and all of which came over 6f. His 2 races this season have seen him perform commendably, especially after starting slowly last time. Runs off an attractive mark of 70 considering his last win was off 76.

Good shout on the first Bowles.... Great start to the day :)
cheers alex, typically that was the race i decided to leave alone today rather than back all 3 of the horses i mentioned. Great price though!! Your double is the same as mine today!

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09 Ryan has chosen the rail in the 1st 2 races & it aint doing any good or is it that the horses just arent good enough, front runners will get caught today, those tucked in behind will be the ones to follow, say around 3rd or 4th throughout as nothing will come from too far back.

3.10 I'm going with the bottom 2 in the weights here. Look Busy 13/2 Stan James, whilst up against some decent horses here, is one of the best sprint fillies. On soft Look Busy reads 32- 11- , on heavy 3- 4- but the going is heavy, soft in places so we'll hope it dries out a little in today's sunshine for the going to be, in reality, soft. Total Gallery 15/2 William Hill, looks a progressive sort, it has a 2nd in heavy, although its wins seem to be over good/firm, I still fancy this to place. Both fit my placed LTO and within the last month preferences. Combined with it being Saturday, when any favs I back lose :D, I'm happy to go with these 2 eachway. I'd even chuck in Reverence for a tricast.
310 Haydock - Look Busy - 5pts ew @ 7/1 >betfred Had a high level of form over 5f last season suggesting that a Group 2 is within her grasp. Didnt last 6f last time but can return to winning ways over this 5f trip with form on this type of ground proven.
Hell Yeah :clap:clap Look Busy :clap:clap

Re: Haydock - Sat 23/5/09 A big field for the last e/w on Nicholls 2nd string PRINCE NAMID 25's who has had two runs since joining the yard is well handicapped and would be no surprise if trainer had him fit ready to go for first run this year. Also a win saver on his sons mount LEGAL EAGLE 10's who will like the ground and a small exacta on the two.