boxing betting thread

Re: boxing betting thread A lot of support for Reyes around the boards. Not from lemon heads either. Jennings v Brook an awesome match-up eh? The Guild Hall would do us just fine! Mike can shift 600+ tickets though...whether it's in Lancs or Yorks.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: boxing betting thread

A lot of support for Reyes around the boards. Not from lemon heads either. Jennings v Brook an awesome match-up eh? The Guild Hall would do us just fine! Mike can shift 600+ tickets though...whether it's in Lancs or Yorks.
I was looking at the Reyes fight among others and I quite fancy him and was considering posting a treble with Litzau and Luevano but am concerned about the chins lasting in all 3 fights lol;)same goes for jones but tbh since calzaghe lacy has looked a real spent force and seemed seriously disillusioned with the business up until this fight came along. Jennings v Brook yeah man I cant wait - I know Jennings will have his knockers but if he can steer clear of those power shots I give him every chance - should give a decent indication on how good Brook is. They both wanted it now theyve got it so lets get it on:nana Guild Hall would be perfect - wasnt there when he won the title there as was away but was meant to be class when he brought the belt home on the train:loon but to be honest I really dont know where it would be - is it big enough to headline a Warren card at MEN? oR COULD IT BE AN UNDERCARD? Nothing official about venue or date as far as I know? Incidentally are you from NW Greenhoff?

Re: boxing betting thread Roy Jones Jnr V Jeff Lacy tonight. Any opinions? I dont know why RJJ is still fighting tbh, he has lots of cash and he's s decent guy, he doesnt need to risk his health at this age. I hope he wins tonight and he should do but surely he is going to lose one eventually, it will be a shame if a legend like this loses to a fighter as poor as Lacy.

Re: boxing betting thread Not a bad weekend as Green walks through Dominguez in for the mmain bet but a TD after 4 against Holmes for the tickle. Taking those into account is +30 so bank now 1095 RJJ can still do a job apparntly looked in his early 20's tbh I had no interest in the fight, though I am a little intrigued with the Green match if it happens.......As for Lacy I dunno what to say about him, I simply cant figure if he was simply massively over-hyped or JC in a way ended his career - probably a bit of both. As for Jennings v Brook the buzz at the moment is that it could be at the Reebok with Khan headlining, tbh not sure that will happen myself as it may be a little ambitious but if that does happen surely it would be PPV?

Re: boxing betting thread

Seen owt for this weekend anyone? Baby Bull and the Ghost returns a respectable 1.83. will be back with reasoning.
early in the week iwas ready for a treble with the above 2 with balzsay but too many doubts began to creep in! been trying to weigh up the klassen v guerrera fight all week and still cant come up with amything concrete:( same goes for diaz malignaggi - i like diaz to win it but i thought 1/3-2/7 was more appropriate and am now thinking malignagggi is slightly overpriced at 9/2, will maybe try and justify if i decide to play on it. the fight that interests me most from a betting point of view is jacobs v smith and will post a write up shortly on the under/over

Re: boxing betting thread Daniel Jacobs v Ishe Smith DJ is making a bit of a name for himself and steps up his level opponent again to fight Ishe "I whinge more than anyone else in the world" Smith of contender fame. Jacobs looks a good fighter but has never been seriously tested and tis fight should be a decent indicator of what he is capable of. Smith is an incredibly annoying fighter for me as i THINK HE IS QUITE GOOD BUT FAR TOO LAZY OR LETHARGIC FOR HIS OWN GOOD. hE SEEMS TOO DEFENSIVE MINDED AND HAS A RELUCTANCE to let his punches go. Smith is a notoriously slow starter but he can handle himself well, he is quite slick in the way he moves and tends to avoid any sort of serious punishment with his "TONEYESQUE ROLLONG". I have never seen Jacobs take a real serious shot so his chin has to be taken on face value but Smith isnt the biggest puncher and he is certainly not what I would call explosive. Jacobs early ko ratio leaves some reasonable odds of 8/15 on the fight going over 9.5 rounds. A fair bet in my eyes as I believe it will be a very good performance if he can stop Smith who has never been stopped. Smith talks aboout renewed enthusiasm but I have my doubts though I dont think its a foregone conclusion that DJ will win. Incidentally all 3 of Smiths losses were all to tile challengers or holders - none of which managed to stop him. In the end I think Smith will just do enough to lose but I think it would be a huge statement if DJ could ko IS. Recommended bet over 9.5 rds 8/15 Bet365

Re: boxing betting thread Another good shout foo! Baby Bull and the Ghost oblige also. Good swerve on the treble from you, as Balzay gets stopped. Bolloxed a few accys up around the boards that one. Apology for no write-up, but on the way back from Wigan, stopped off at Golbourne to catch up with old mates. Turning into a top thread mate....fair play, keep it up.

Re: boxing betting thread cheers greenhoff - nice picks yourself. I couldnt take Diaz at 1/6 and thought PM was decent value at 9/2 not seen the fight yet but its one i want to get hold of due to the controversy at least. looking back now the ghost looked a cracking bet at 4/7 but i did have a couple of reservations but 4/7 for someone who has a real chance of being world class against semi unproven on the world stage shouldve been worth something - all easy in hind sight eh;) update of results starting bank - 1000 current bank - 1143 not on target for the end of year but progress being made:) will post spreadsheet when i get chance

Re: boxing betting thread Liking Cloud over Woods. Hills holding firm @ 4/7, the competition as low as 30/100. Could be a re-run of Alexander v Witter. Young, hungry, powerful, American home fighter v's an older ex-champ who generally falls apart when fighting 'over the pond'. Against Tarver, after a decent start, he looked like he did'nt want to be in the ring anymore. A lacklustre outing in a channel island hotel last time out did'nt convince either. Clinton talking a good fight, but will he relish those rapid combinations that Cloud throws from all angles. The experience is with the likeable yorkshireman, but if Cloud has any sort of chin, Woods can't win on the cards. Will have some more later, don't want to overrun posting time. Will be playing a rolling accy with NDou over Hatton and Floyd over JMM for a 2.64 return.

Re: boxing betting thread I totally agree with greeenhoff here on this one.I see it the same way myself,clinton carries decent power but he has slowed up rapidly in the last couple of years,and he has had some very hard fights,gruelling ones in fact,with glen johnson especially,even in victory,he has taken a lot of leather. I just wonder if he is suddenly going to get old overnight here.And looking at the mutual formline ,clinton had 2 comfortable enough wins over julio cesar gonzales,but cloud pounded the same guy relentlessly for 10 rounds,and gave him his first inside the distance defeat,so his power has to be respected. I will have a touch of hills 4/7,and i am going to take cloud to win by ko/stoppage inside the distance at a general13/8 with stan james and others. Good to see this tread as i am always try to make as many boxing shows as possible.I see that a few here may be going to froch-dirrell in nottingham,oct/17th.There are 4 of us going up from london,and in these credit crunch times we have the seats that we had for froch/pascal,but @£30,we have the tickets at £15 less,a great deal from mick hennessy and the cobra,no wonder it is sold out so quick. The froch/pascal fight was an epic,and the atmosphere was absolutely electric in the ice arena,but it was raucous but totally trouble free,and i do not see any major problems this time around either. This time around instead of going straight back,we will be staying at the crowne plaza,and before hand w e will be going to bunkers pre-fight and for a nice balti,and i cannot wait. As to the fight yes it seems that dirrel is a slick mover but he does not seem to carrry exposive power and i feel that froch wil prevail here but he has to show major improvement,stop relying on single shots,,get his combinations off much quicker and be less macho and more guileish. Talking about fight arenas and atmospheres.I was at the odyssey to see rogan/ sexton,crikey 10,000 belfast boys and a large no from andietown,now that is what you call a reception committie.Luckily my celtic blood and looks came in very handy in the walk over the bridge. As for the rematch rogan is way too short again,i think that many seem to feel that rogan is just going to bang him out in double quick time.Other than his stamina,i was impressed with sexton,some of his combinations off the ropes were masterful,he has the jab to dictate this fight,as rogan only comes straight at you,added to the fact that he has left john breen,and i feel that sexton is well overpriced.Anyhow there is no value with rogan in the betting stakes. It is going to be a cracking domestic season and i am very interested in the matty macklin-amin asikiniean fight for the european middleweight title in manchester,sept 25th. It is good to see matty making some progress at last as he clearly has a lot of talent,and he has left the fight with darren barker to take this one on,understandably so. Even after the good win over wayne elcock in march,i do not see why against such a seasoned pro in the finn amin,he is so short in the betting,2/9,crazy.One win and the bookies love to overvalue british fighters,and that sometimes gives us value like here in my opinion.Asikinaien is a country mile ahead of wayne elcock.This is a big fight for ricky hatton productions,i am not so sure that his old boss frank warren would have taken this match at this time,i feel that warren would have liked macklin to have come through darren barker first before taking on the finn,still fair play to macklin for steping up,so he clearly fancies it. Granted asikainen is 33 ,and lost last time out but he has beaten a quality operator in seb sylvester in germany,so he can go to the opponents backyard ,,granted he lost the return to sylvester,but that result was not without controversy.He has a fine amature carrerr and with 17 ko's against much better opposition than macklin has faced,clearly to my mind is the puncher in this fight,thus i am taking amin and to win inside the distance,yes an early shout but one that i am confident in. Good luck to all with the boxing bets,keep em up!

Re: boxing betting thread Great post ivor! Cloud leathered into 4/9 now. The mutual Gonzalez fights say a lot. A very hard man, who Clinton handled fairly comfortably twice, without theatening to deck him. Cloud put him to the sword in the 10th before handing him his first stoppage. The power lies with the American. Woods reckons he'll come at him from the off..we'll soon see. Big lefts, slashing rights and a juicy uppercut, Cloud has them all in his locker. Incidently secondsouttv have exclusive rights for this fight. A tenner, with another 12 months boxing thrown in. Agree about Macklin and Rogie. Prohibitive outright odds. A very dissappointed manager when Matthew joined up with Hatton Promo', but you can't argue with a EBU shot for his first fight with them. Mooresy v Macklin still my best domestic 'live fight' experience, and i've seen a fair few. A few of us comtemplating nipping over to Belfast for THE re-match. How do you do such a long write-up without the post failing to send??

Re: boxing betting thread drat drat and double drat!!!!!!! now thats vented:) nice posts guys keep it up!!! agree with everything said pretty much but so annoying to miss the the boat on 4/7 (incidentally i saw him at 4/6 with skybet a few weeks ago) but 4/9 is too short for me - though i do think cloud will win. in regards his chin....i think its pretty solid - i watched a couple of his fights last nigh and walked through ko artist without flinching as for the comparisons with gonzales - yes he was impressive and kudos to him for stopping him but imo it wasnt the same guy who woods fought - he had taken take their toll defeats from 2 world rated fighters and was ready for retirement maybe, but formlines are there to be looked at! my main concern is that cloud turns out to be jeff lacy mark 2 - not saying woods is anywhere near as good as calzaghe. but if cloud aint all hes cracked up to be he MAY struggle against a seasoned crafty pro like woods IF he is at his best. so although i believe cloud will win i also believe i have missed the boat 4/6 to 4/9 is too much for me on the match result markets....may have a play elsewhere though:) gl in what you back guys - i dont intend to sway youur decisions - just put my two penneth in:) greenhoff - i have no problems with timing when i post - but sometimes i ype in word and copy and paste when im finished

Re: boxing betting thread Was told Cloud was at best 30/100 (icl Hills) at the off. Glad there was no controversy, as the Yank wins a comfortable dec. Respect to Clinton for hanging in there during some rocky moments. Not surprised Dawson elected to duck Cloud, and re-engage with the Road Warrior instead. Big money match down the road beckons. Kinnel foo, you been on the sherbets LOL. Intriguing fight in Germany. Could'nt be touching huck @ 2/5. Ramirez a beast, who won't give him a seconds peace. Destroyed the highly touted Alexeev, causing him to raise the white flag. Huck will have learned from that fight. Huck to jab and connect from distance taking him to the verdict imo. @ 11/8 the better value, as opposed to 4/9 for O9.5 (or even 5/6 to go distance) Won't be playing it though. Huck 8-12 @9/1 courtesy of German stitchup (if huck's in some rocky waters) a value punt.

Re: boxing betting thread Kinnel foo, you been on the sherbets LOL. lol mustve been:$ Huck to jab and connect from distance taking him to the verdict imo. @ 11/8 the better value gutting when you get it right but are not confident to play. Any thoughts on Froch V Dirrell, any value in Dirrell? real tricky imo at the moment...at 6/4 i wouldnt say he was value but thats not to say he wont win. Dirrells hand speed really is quite impressive but my main concern is who has he beatand he has been on the floor a couple of times against fighters who dont have big power and in his own words froch punches like mule lol....when he was put in against stevens he ran from the puncher but got the decision which he got booed for (ive seen highlights but not the full fight - would really appreciate if anyone could post it if the find it) that seemed to offend him a touch and he did a better number on hanshaw than rjj did in his previous fight in effect retiring him then 2 wins v low level opposition with very padded records. Anyway in answer to the question if you fancy dirrell the value imo lies in backing him to win the S6 at 14/1 with Hills and then laying offif he wins. At the moment Im leaning towards a Froch victory but have a feeling ring size could be very important in this fight.

Re: boxing betting thread I still have my Truscott v Simpson wager running for tonight. Most books hold boxing bets for 3 months in the case of postponments.The original contest was postponed due to flooding at the end of July. Simpson 7-9 @ 12's & 10-12 @ 16's as posted on the 'Hennesey Card' thread. Should be a crackin' bout. Simpson can only fight one way, and that's by applying constant pressure. Prepared to take shots to land his own ( nicely doubled up with a dangerous noggin) Truscott the boxer of the two, but with little power. If he has any sense, he'll box at distance and avoid the dogfight that simpson will be trying to draw him into. Doubtful truscott can stop the Scot, who relishes those punishing later rounds, but a close pts win is'nt out of the question..IF he keeps it at range. Simpson ITD @ anything around 11/2 is a decent interest play. Reports stating he's been looking the goods leading up to this.

Re: boxing betting thread Cheers foo. Laddies still had him at 12's for 10-12 on fight night. Hope a few had a nibble on the 11/2 value shout if nothing else? Liking the Thai guy (yeah you spell the friggin name LOL) when he faces Dunne. Despite Dunne putting in a gargantuan effort to overcome Cordroba last time out, he still has a lot of the Khan'esque downside attached to him. The beard not the sturdiest in the game and the Thai can hurt. 6/5 at the minute. Not sure if the Irish are like the Brits and plunge in on their guy, OR if the savvy punter will bring the other blokes price in.

Re: boxing betting thread No 11/2 for me:( Interesting views regarding Poonsawat(?) and Dunne, incidentally it was the Poonsawat who handed Cordoba his first defeat. Im still in two minds though tbh I like done but his chin (or beard lol) is a worry But Poonsawat has only fought outside of Thailand once and that resulted in his only loss!!! Tricky to call and the bookies think so also, though I do see your point with the home fighter.

Re: boxing betting thread Loooking forward to fury v macdermott on friday,the first decent test for mr fury and he should face a rare fired up mr macmuffin due to his incessant baiting of the quite essex man. Macdermott has some good technical ability without doubt but to me his biggest weakness is that he lacks the hunger and drive to succed at a decnt level,i always get the impression that he would rather be some where else but in the ring.There is a lethargicness about him that puts me in mind of audley and way before him,joe bugner,(JOE to be fair was extremly talented) An example in point is the first williams fight where he definately had danny in trouble with some very good body shots but once again he went into his shell and let danny come through. As for tyson well he has really faced no one of repute,but has done well with what he has faced,has an inate confidence and he does seem to have superb hand speed for such a big fighter,and he does come at some weight.It will be intersting to see what weight he comes in at ,for his first real test. Betting wise fury has now come in a tad to 1/5.and it is still 1/3 for a fury win inside the distance.I guess that the macdermott strategy will be to try to draw the sap from fury early on and look to test fury out from the middle rounds,and see what he does possess in the fitness tank. It is a tricky one betting wise here ,there is no real value and i am just looking forward to seeing this one ,still no point sitting on the fence, and i am going for fury to come through here inside 5-6 rounds .Keep them up boys!

Re: boxing betting thread Nice write up Ivor will post my thoughts later. Going to have to get a move on to achieve what I intended before the end of the year but dont want to make selections for the sake of it. Anyway this is where it stands at the moment.

Bet No.

Market

Odds

Stake

Returns

P/L

Cum P/L

Miranda v Ward

5/2

McCall v Hopoate

4/6

Chagaev v Valuev +9.5

2/5

Cotto v Clottey +10.5

4/9

Green v Dominguez -7.5

4/7

Holmes v Minto

9/2

Jacobs v Smith +9.5

8/15

Starting bank - 1000 Current bank - 1143 +143

Re: boxing betting thread Tyson Fury vs John Mcdermott This is a bit of a strange on because I agree with the majority of what Ivor has said in the post above but I believe there is a bit of value in a play with McDermott even though I believe Fury should win. I simply think that JM is a little overpriced and there could even be a bigger price come tomorrow night. Make no doubt this is a step up for Fury and it will be interesting to see how he reacts when someone punches back and is not there to simply be beat. Im not too sure if he punches as hard as people believe and Im sure Ive seen him turn his back on his opponent when he has been hit (may have been Swaby but not sure). I know hes done what was expected of him but the standard of opponent has been pretty low (as with most pro newcomers) but all credit to him for taking this in only his 8th(?) fight but it is what hes been asking for. In his last fight I thought he looked pretty poor considering looking overweight but that was attributed to back problems and the lack of motivation in fighting an opponent Im sure he thought he was far superior to. I believe both fighters will be ‘up’ for this fight and it should be entertaining. Fury is an extremely confident fighter with pure belief in his own ability but he really shouldn’t underestimate JM like Williams did in there 1st fight and even though he said he gave his all in training for the rematch was somewhat lucky to come away with the W after some rocky moments. Im sure TF will want to look impressive in this and may well want to duplicate Skelton and jump all over JM and overwhelm him early on. Imo this could be a mistake if McDermott is able to weather the storm and take Skelton into unknown waters past the 4th. In which case there is a chance TF could gas himself out in the way Haye did against Thompson. Siding with a win with JM is no doubt a risky bet but with doubts (that is a bit strong, maybe the word “unproven” is more appropriate) regarding TF - taking into account that he MAY not punch as hard as he and others think (though he does seem to have nice bodyshots and a good uppercut), his chin has never fully been tested (just cant that turning his back on his opponent out of my head – hope its true and my mind may be playing tricks there lol) and the fact that he has never been past 4 with unproven stamina with his somewhat oddly shaped, semi cumbersome physique – he COULD fade in the later rounds of 10 IF JM is still there, I think there is a little value in 9/2 and it is worth a tickle, even if only an interest bet. Summing up Tyson Fury should win by KO but with several little doubts, rightly or wrongly, Im going to have a play on “McMuffin/McDonut” and risk the ridicule of fellow PL punters. Recommended bet 12 points McDermott bt Fury 9/2 Bet365

Re: boxing betting thread Good write-up. You're right about Fury turning his back. Could'nt believe what i was seeing at the time. He turned side on , arms flailing. The referee looked twice, because you should'nt be doing it in the pro game. A pressure fighter will hurt Tyson, but at the moment i'm enjoying the headliner quotes he's bringing to the game.