boxing betting thread

Re: boxing betting thread Ruslan Chagaev v Nicolai Valuev

Ruslan Chagaev won 25 (KO 17) + lost 0 (KO 0) + drawn 1

Nicolai Valuev won 50 (KO 34) + lost 1 (KO 0) + drawn 0

This is a tricky fight to pick the winner imo but I expect a similar fight to the first one in which Chagaev took a close majority decision when he boxed a good fight moving round his opponent and then banging with quick sharp shots. This seems to be the formula to beat Valuev as seen when Holyfield nearly pulled off the upset – with many people believing he did. Im tending to lean towards and Evs seems a fair price but a concern was his relatively poor performance in his last fight against Drummond where although he got the technical decision when the fight was stopped due to his cut he looked a little out of sorts to me. Drummond and Valuev though are very different fighters, where Drummond had relatively fast hands which seemed to cause RC problems but maybe that could be attributed to the bloodflow from his cut. This is something that he wont have to worry about though, with Valuevs plodding rather mechanical style - though he does seem to keep people off with his improved long jab, Holyfield commented saying its not as easy as it seems to get in and out without getting hit – even he is a little slower than most. The other main worry is the cut re-opening, though hopefully this will have healed over the 5 months.

Overall though I think RC will stick to the game plan he executed last time and will pull out a close decision (if indeed some of his sloppiness against Drummond was due to over a years inactivity and can be attributed to ring rust). I’m not fully decided about this so the staking would be small (if at all) for this so will leave that for a following post, maybe with a double.

The main reason for this post is the market which most interests me in this fight is the over/under round betting.

Although both showed respect for each others punching power in the first fight, neither looked in massive danger of going down or being stopped and the MD win for Chagaev is the only defeat on both fighters combined records. Valuev has a very sturdy chin, not surprising considering his size and Chaguev has a nice habit of when he is hit to fire right back at his opponent. To the best of my knowledge neither fighter has even been on the canvas in their career, please someone correct me if I’m wrong here. The worst I can remember Valuev being hurt was in the 3rd against Jameel McCline just before McClines knee gave way in which looked like being a good fight – not something I say to often about NV excluding the initial encounter between these two. Neither has fought particularly tough opposition (who is in the heavyweights at the mo) but when stepped up to the higher tier both tend to go the distance – except NVs late stoppage of Monte Barrett (if you are inclined to put him in the higher tier).

So to me most things point to this going to the scorecards again. Taking in the above I expected this to be rather short. Ladbrokes go 4/11 the fight will go the distance. Boyles and Bet365 offer 2/7 on it being over 10.5 rounds. Then I found the value on the over/under on this fight with skybet, with the following prices……over 7.5 1/4, over 8.5 1/3, over 9.5 2/5, either man to win on points 8/15.

It’s the latter 2 that most interest me and Im a little torn but for the slightly shorter price Im going to take 2/5 on over 9.5. This gives a little insurance of the stoppage in the last couple of rounds where both fighters looked tired in their last encounter and I would not entirely discount the draw as I think this will be a close fight and a lot of judges seem to have varying opinions when scoring Valuev fights.

Selection:

Valuev v Chagaev over 9.5 rounds 2/5 skybet – 100 points current bank - 1025 new bank - 925

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: boxing betting thread

Whole Sauerland card is off. Something about Chagaev's medical condition.
He has got Hep B again, had it before. Valuev was asked if he wanted to have hep b vaccination to make sure he couldn't get it off Chagaev and go ahead with the fight but refused, don't blame him either. Details are on Setanta website. :ok I spent an hour and half looking through previous fights and form, decided on Chagaev by points and then found out the fight was off. :wall

He has got Hep B again' date=' had it before. Valuev was asked if he wanted to have hep b vaccination to make sure he couldn't get it off Chagaev and go ahead with the fight but refused, don't blame him either. Details are on Setanta website. :ok I spent an hour and half looking through previous fights and form, decided on Chagaev by points and then found out the fight was off. :wall[/quote'] Coupleof other fights tonight worth a look. Cintron V Angulo and Berto V Urango. I've got berto's last couple of fights on my hard drive to watch, if I manage to do it today I'll write something up for sure on that one.

Re: boxing betting thread yup hep B gutting - found out last night.....big post waste of time lol:) i do like the other fights tonight tho paul - you cant help but be impressed with berto imo - you will see flaws but gotta admit i like him....toyed with some bets but gonna keep them minimal if i do - will be exciting regardless

Re: boxing betting thread Never got on berto.. Really pissed off with Cintron. Backed him last time at good odds (about 3s), in a fight I knew he could piss and he put on a shocker. Was a heartbeat away from backing him at 4.1 on saturday, but shied away from it after last time and he won easily. i think there'll be value backing against him next time out. I think he's going to be like Judah, always just falling short in his big fights.

Re: boxing betting thread Berto did what was expected of him and imo fought the right fight. I shied away from backing him because I was slightly wary of what urangos power could be moving up (hatton resorted to circling him and hitting with bursts when he he beat him and was really hurt by a couple of crippling body shots) and berto has a bit of a tendency to get involved in a bit of a scrap when he doesnt need t. This all well and good to watch as a neutral but not when money riding on it:) either way was a decent performance from someone i am beginning to think pretty highly of. paul......as for the cintron fight, i also had a suspicion for cintron but more so for his power. both fighters are known to have pretty poor defenses but i think cintron is tightening up and beginning to box better rather than looking for the one punch ko. I think of him as quite like edison miranda and i got burned with his fight vs ward, i guess this is similar toy our comparison with judah. I didnt get to see the bout from the reports I have read there was widespread concern about angulos condition with suspicion of illness going into the fight. He only weighed 159lbs on fight night compared to cintrons 169 (for his last 2 fights reports say he weighd 165) - maybe the knowledge of that would made you click the 4.1 button? As for his next fight, if eliminators mean anything then it should be a rematch vs martinez - we will see.

Re: boxing betting thread Proper fight on the agenda this weekend. Cottov v Clottey at a sold-out MSG. An utterly intriguing fight that gets the pugilistic juices flowing bigtime. The 33% return for a Cotto win probably the worst value this season. Pre-Margarito, maybe worth the plunge even at those odds, because Miguel was definitely borderline elite. A wrecking-ball of a fighter with the aura to match. Certainly a level above the teak tough but predictable Clottey. Sadly, the brutal Margarito loss, just MIGHT have caused a major blip in the Cotto machine. Mentally and physically, the nature of his defeat ( whether legal or not )was devastating. One outing since, in a confidence-builder, v's the over-matched Brit Mike jennings, not the ideal warm-up for the iron-man that is Clottey. Fair play to Cotto though, for taking this fight, when numerous softer defences were readily available. That's a statement in itself. Joshua Clottey has given up his IBF title, for this mega chance to put himself in the spotlight, after years of flying under the radar as the most avoided man in boxing. From the same city as the legendary Azumah Nelson, and if nothing else, he's certainly inherited the same mini-adonis look and granite bonce and beard as that of the HOF'er. This guy is a huge Welter who generally comes in on fight night between the Middle/SuperMiddle range. At times has a lethargic style about him, and can gas in the later rounds, but his toughness, as with Cotto to be fair, is unquestioned. Went the distance with Margarito, fighting with a broken hand from the 4th onwards. All in all, in what will be hostile atmosphere choccaful of Cotto fans, a war could be in the pipeline, with a strong possibility of pt deductions along the way. Both can go low when threatened, and Joshua not shy of putting that alien-like nut in. So after all the waffle, whats the bet? Still pondering to be fair, but Clottey's 11/4 is the outright value IMO.(should lengthen on the night) If Cotto utilizes his vicious body shots, something he did'nt do with Margo, his natural abilities( if no lasting damage) should carry him to the dec (a standout 1.8). Both men promoted by Arum, but anything close and surely cotto gets the nod with £multi-million showdowns with Pac/FMJ possibles on the horizon. Will post final play before the off. Also this weekend at Wigan, John Murray to continue his climb to the big showdowns. Tyson Fury out again with TBC as the opponent. Fury's cousin Phill, making his debut at 147 also.

Re: boxing betting thread Pondering this one myself for tomorrow. Clottey does seem to have some ability but it a massive step up to face a fighter like Cotto. Judah and Corrales were decent scalps and when you think Magarito was using concrete on his hands is the UD defeat to him doesnt look to bad even though he was hammered on the scorecards. Any other opinions?

Re: boxing betting thread No mater how hard I look at this one i can't get away from Cotto by points. Everything I've ever seen and read about these two fighters says that's going to be the outcome. As has been said though, who knows what Margarito took out of Cotto? At the time I think Cotto was no.1 P4P, and ring still have him at number 7 - he's a class act no doubt. But Clottey is sure to take him deep into the fight and that's where his hearts going to be tested again. Marg totally broke him in that fight, had him cowering in a corner. Can a man come back from that? I've got to go with the flow here and say Cotto by late stoppage or points, probably points. A wide UD, I think. That's going to be my bet. I got it at 1.95 on sportingbet, which doesn't seem to be on oddschecker.

Re: boxing betting thread Seems to be up now. A general 4/5 with Sportingbet going 19/20. http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/miguel-angel-cotto-v-joshua-clottey/method-of-victory Sky Bet's odds on 'Exact Method of Victory' ~ Cotto to win by: Unanimous decision 6/4, Split decision 5/1, Majority Decision 28/1, Technical Knockout 11/4, Knockout 9/1, Technical Decision 50/1, Opponent retirement 50/1 and Disqualification 66/1 Clottey to win by: Unanimous decision 10/1, Split decision 12/1, Majority Decision 66/1, Technical Knockout 7/1, Knockout 22/1, Technical Decision 100/1, Opponent retirement 100/1 and Disqualification 100/1 The draw is 25/1.

Re: boxing betting thread Decided to play some long shots because of the inponderables surrounding the fight. As stated, pre-Margo, would have been happy to take Cotto. A comfortable UD from a technically superior fighter would have been the order of the day.He's always found a way to win, even when in trouble. Torres buzzed him, Corley caught him, and Zab certainly had him in lumber until Cotto equalised the situation when the 'homer' ref ignored some blatant low blows. Could be afforded that leniency tonight in an arena bursting with his countrymen. The Margo crushing has put me off for the odds offered though. Like the 28/1 about Cotto via MD. These fights can have some controversy. One judge to go against the flow and score a draw, Cotto keeps the belt and vast majority are happy. Clottey for all his toughness, won't win the close rounds, not in the MSG. Has a tendancy to coast through rounds, fully focused on his high defence. His work-rate won't match Cotto's, if Miguel is anything like his old self. But IF, Cotto's still carrying damage from THAT defeat, Clott in the later rounds carries a touch of value. 7-9 20/1, 10-12 22/1 Laddies. Hoping for a cracker. GL anyone having a punt.

Re: boxing betting thread ok sorry for t he pathetic late updated, rouldev picked calderon on 10.5+ whicah was vo ggoood:) anyway my pick for tonight and sorry for no justification but i simoly aint had timr.....tbh the effort i made with cahgaev deflated me...... anyway on to the reaal deal................................. clottey v cotto!!!! as said b4 cottos defeat against AM was worrying but imo cottto boxed better than i have evevr ssen hom fight,,,,btw im pisre:S anyway i cant see anyone folding early despte cotto "quitting" v margarito, as greenhoff says clottry has been floating under the radar........piste post but safest bet is over 10.5 woyh boyles apologoes for drunk post;( 90 pts over 10.5 boyles - 4/9

Re: boxing betting thread OOOH!! Clottey starts off well but Cotto knocks him down in the first round, Cotto then gets a huge cut above his left eye in the third round due to an 'accidental' headbutt! Huge turning point in the fight! Cotto INTENTIONALLY pushes Clottey to the ground in the 5th round after he gets jabbed about a bit and on the receiving end of af ew good shots! Clottey is in pain! KNEE trouble for Clottey! Blood still seeping out of the cut for Cotto! It must be affecting him by now!? This is Clottey's fight to lose! But NO!! Cotto's coming back, Clottey's just covering up and allowing Cotto free shots at him! Clottey can't get out of the corner in the 6th round! But Clottey eventually does and comes back with a few shots! Blood still coming out of that cut of Cotto's! Clottey on the end of some boxing lessons from Cotto but he delivers a few uppercuts that is affecting Cotto! Blood still coming out of Cotto's cut! Clottey delivers some damage there to Cotto in the 7th round! Cotto must finish him off if he's to win this fight surely!? It's not an exciting fight just a weird one! :loon Cotto is slowing down in the 8th round! Clottey delivers a huge right! Cotto's done well to survive this! Clottey must bide his time now surely!? Cotto's cut just gets worse! Cotto's just backpeddling now in the 9th round! Cotto's gotta use every ounce of experience to get something out of this! Probably the least action-packed round so far! What on earth can Cotto do now!? Some chants from the crowd with some clearly rooting for Cotto! They'd do a better job than Miguel at this rate! It's close! The commentators have Clottey winning 4 of the last 5 rounds at least! Cotto's just trying to think of what to do! Clottey's just waiting! Cotto probably just about wins the 10th round purely by attempting a punch! No blood at least for Cotto to worry about! A ton o' Vaseline on Cotto's eye that Cotto has to shake off at the start of the 11th round! Cotto mostly on the defensive even when he's attacking! Clottey generally being smart throughout and closing the distance! Cotto backed off after delivering a brief flurry of punches! What is Cotto doing!? Cotto is surely not thinking straight!? Cotto jumping around trying to do something in the 12th round! Clottey just following him about not attempting much punching! Cotto hits Clottey in the back of the head! Accidental though as Clottey turns around on point of impact! Cotto delivers an accidental lowblow! Clottey trying to win by disqualification!? The crowd boo at what is probably some stalling tactic of Clottey's! Cotto's the most animated! He needs to be be as well! Last four rounds Clottey went generlly missing there! Clottey had the fight at his mercy and he didn't take it! It's OVER!! It goes to the scorecards! The crowd seems mixed in who they want to win even though Cotto seems to be having more of a favourable reception! What will the judges think!? One TV commentator has it 115-113 to Cotto! 116-111 to Cotto! 114-113 to Clottey! 115-112 to Cotto! Cotto wins by split decision! :eek

Re: boxing betting thread Glad I stayed up for it, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially after having a bet on that wasn't in the bag until the scores were actually announced. Always puts a bit of an edge on it. I thought Cotto did enough, 116-111 by one of the judges was way out, I had it 115-113. Although I wouldn't have been amazed with either a draw or decision for Clottey to be honest. Nearly a top shout on the MD Greenhoff:clap

Re: boxing betting thread Forgot to add Korobov had a bit of a shocker tonight. Looked like he wasn't quite sure what to do when he couldn't back his opponent up. I've always had him down as a future supertar. Not sure after that showing.

What happened to Korobov then? I thought he had world class potential too
He won his 4 rounder, pretty convincingly too it has to be said. He struggled a lot when he couldn't back the other guy up. It ws like he was trying to KO him with every shot instead of just boxing him.

Re: boxing betting thread Reports Suggesting that Mayweather - Marquez on July 18th is OFF Apparently Floyd has sustained a Rib Injury in training. Lots of fights getting called off lately, Chagaev - Valuev , Haye - Wlad, Now this and talk of Kotelnik pulling out against Khan. Gutted Mayweather is off though, i was really looking forward to this one

Glad I stayed up for it, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially after having a bet on that wasn't in the bag until the scores were actually announced. Always puts a bit of an edge on it. I thought Cotto did enough, 116-111 by one of the judges was way out, I had it 115-113. Although I wouldn't have been amazed with either a draw or decision for Clottey to be honest. Nearly a top shout on the MD Greenhoff:clap
Likewise Paulie..really enjoyed the fight. In Accra, Clottey gets the nod to be fair (thats the nature of the sport), but imo he did'nt do enough to take the champs title. Strange decision of his (or his corner, who told him he won the 1st despite the KD) :lol to not put the pressure on in the last 2/3 rounds. And his blatant attempts to get Cotto docked pts was a disgrace. A hard sod, but that did him no favours. Almost Drogba'ish in it's delivery. Very poor. Fair play to Cotto. Thought he showed tremendous heart and decent tactical nous. Crackin' cv to his name, but Floyd would dismantle him. Would'nt say no to a Clottey re-match, but it aint going to happen for obvious reasons. A Manny fight would be a barn-burner imo. Agree about Korobov. Has an exciting style that excites punters. His big test comes when he faces a fighter with movement and a piston jab. The higher the level, the more difficult to blast the opponent away. Englands Matt Hall has a similar crowd-pleasing style about him. He faces the tricky Anthony Small in a superb clash of styles on the Khan u/card.

Re: boxing betting thread Today's Bettingzone Market News: 1410: Amir Khan has been cut to 1/2 from 8/13 by Coral to win his first world title against Andriy Kotelnik. The move comes after the fight was put back three weeks yesterday because of Kotelnik's tooth infection. The venus has also changed from London to Manchester where there is bound to be overwhelming support for Bolton star Khan. Kotelnik is out to 6/4 (from 5/4) with the draw at 20/1. Coral's Gary Burton said: "Khan was already the strong favourite at 8/13 despite a step up in weight with home advantage in his favour, but now with a move to his back yard and an opponent making excuses, it looks like Britain could be celebrating a new world champion come July 18."

• 2 weeks later...

Re: boxing betting thread :clapgood read guys! bben a bit lax with this recently partly because of the ususl reasons but mainly because i cant be bothered to post a full write up for selections. will update records with a spreadsheet at some point this week. and post a a little about action tonight, though we missed one last night with kretschmens chin:( will look tonight hopefully

• 3 weeks later...

Re: boxing betting thread Today's Bettingzone Market News: 1525: Money is flooding in on Amir Khan to beat Andreas Kotelnik when the pair meet in their WBA light welterweight title fight on July 18. The Bolton boxer has been backed down to 2/5 (from opening odds of 5/6) with Sky Bet to come out on top against the Ukrainian, who has been friendless so far and is out to 7/4 (from 5/6) for victory. Khan has also been very well supported to win inside the distance and Sky Bet have cut him to 13/8 (from 11/4) after amassing a hefty payout. Sky Bet's boxing compiler Scott Springgay said: "Kotelnik has never been stopped inside the distance so we hope he can maintain this record against Khan, as we have a five-figure liability already on Khan winning in rounds 1-12 and this will only increase in the run-up to the fight."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: boxing betting thread Danny Green v JC Dominguez Needless to say I fancy Green here but at 1/10 the win isnt anoption for me. A win here will supposedly set up a fight with RJJ (providing he gets through Lacy, which he should). Although hes had a bit layoff which concerns me a touch I think Green will want to look impressive hear if only to solidify his credentials to fight RJJ and believe Dominguez has been picked as an opponent to do just that. Im going to go with under 7.5 at 4/7 with Bet365....Green has 1 punch ko power and is known to hit hard - his record is solid against this calibre of opponent and he usually gets rid of them. Ive never seen Dominguez fight but he was knocked out in 3rds 3 fights ago by a fighter who doesnt hit as hard as Green and hopefully once he feels his power he may not want to stick around - Ive gotta say that the carrot of the RJJ fight has influenced this a fair bit for me but with losses to only 2 world class fighters in Beyer and Mundine?:tongue2 Im taking Green to look good and score an early/mid ko.:hope Recommended bet - 70 points Under 7.5rds 4/7 Bet365

Re: boxing betting thread BRIAN MINTO vs DONNELL HOLMES This ones a bit of a flyer but I fancy a little tickle on Holmes the underdog here. Sure Holmes has a seriously padded record to stay undefeated but he seems to have done what was expected the majority of the time - knocking out the bums put in front of him. It also seems that Holmes has tried to get bigger fights but there didnt seem to be any interest in him(may well be a good reason for that). Minto is a decent fighter but to be fair his record is pretty padded as well and although a while ago he was beaten by a 40+ Tyrell Biggs. Thing is I quite like Minto he seems a decent guy and can be quite entertaining to watch as he gets hit a bit himself. Apparently he has been traing with Roach for the last 6 weeks and said it opened up a whole new world for him and even in that short time Roach claims he can see significant improvement. Strange as this seems - in a fight I believe Minto will win 9/2 on a fighter who doesnt know how to lose seems on the large side to me (Holmes was also a decent amateur) so a small interest bet seems fair. Recommended bet - 10pts Holmes bt Minto 9/2 Bet365