** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen

Well i was on Shaktar at 20/1 e/w for this 1/2 place 1/2 odds so i'm VERY happy Shaktar are here! Shaktar have a very talented squad and have been under rated throughout the competition due to prejudice about being in a 'small league' and having been so far behind Dynamo in the league, something like 12 points? But we must remember that this team is made up of extremely talented South Americans whos ideal conditions is surely not the cold of Ukraine and they have been producing their pure football more in Europe where they are more climated to. Shaktar have a multi-millionaire owner and he has assembled a pretty expensive side by any standards and looking at individuals it shouldn't be that big of a surprise that they have arrived here. Meanwhile Werder, a team that has been relying on the brilliance of one player, Diego, throughout most of the competition Scored in the dying stages at home to Milan in the last 32 to give them hope for the 2nd leg Scored away to Udinese in the 1/4s Scored at home to Udinese in the 1/4s Got the comback started against Hamburg in the Semis He is their top-goalscorer in this competition on 6 goals and is the creative genius behind their attacks. This guy is suspened for the match alongside their striker who scored two at the weekend, Aleida and their towering German international centre-back Mertesacker has damaged foot ligaments and is near certain to miss out. I think that there is huge value in Shaktar at the odds on offer and may even back them again for the final (yes i'm getting greedy with my ante-post bet waiting on them) Currently 9/5 in StanJames but i don't know what way the betting will go coming up to the time with most people usually betting on the 'bigger name' of Breman so may get even larger odds closer to the final

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen Yeah I agree with you guys. Without diego, almeida, naldo and possibly a few more who are struggling to be fit, cant really see how werder can even hold out for a draw never mind win. Werder were terrible at the weekend and that was with diego playing!! be interesting how they line up without him. He is the heart of the team and has saved them so many times this year with his goals, especially in the uefa cup. Shaktar had a very impressive win in the semi's against a stronger team in my opinion so am going full stakes on shaktar at a big 7/4 with corals...fingers crossed... A tasty treble if ur interested is Man utd to win champs league and chelsea to win FA cup and shaktar(all in 90 mins) @13.00 wit corals... GL all.

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen plain & simple: Shakhtar to win UEFA Cup @ 2,20 Bet 3000 (extra time & penalty included) with medium stakes. Hübschmann will miss due to suspension for Shakhtar but important defender Kucher returns. Bremen without Diego and Almeida, especially Diego is big blow for them, without him this team is mediocre. Skipper Baumann is doubtful. Naldo will probably play, but is not 100% fit. Over 2,5 goals option also looks good. Can't understand bookies odds at all. Shakhtar should be clear favorite for this one. :unsure

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen i guess the points is that ther will be more german fans going to Istanbul then Ukrain fans becouse Turkey is EU and Ukrain is not and you need visa and also other problem's i guess German fans will be ther much more maybe becouse of the fan support the give Werder a bit more to win UEFA Cup. Realy dunno it is only my oppinion on this !

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen I don't think Shakhtar will have problems with fans.More then 7000 fans from Ukraine are going for this match.We have no problems with visa to Turkey.Plus don't forget Lucesku is very popular in Istanbul because of his glory days with Galatasaray so i expect many Galatasaray supporters will be the to show Lucesku respect. The only thing that concern me is Jadson(Shakhtar) who scored 8 goals in UEFA Cup this season.He is in the squad but he is not fully fit(picked up injury in last matches).They are doing everything possible to make him 100% fit for this match. If Jadson will start then i'll take him and Fernandinio as anytime scorer. More info about Shakhtar tommorow guys....

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen

The only thing that concern me is Jadson(Shakhtar) who scored 8 goals in UEFA Cup this season.He is in the squad but he is not fully fit(picked up injury in last matches).They are doing everything possible to make him 100% fit for this match. If Jadson will start then i'll take him and Fernandinio as anytime scorer.
From soccerway.com today.
Shakhtar are likely to be at almost full-strength on Wednesday night, with only Czech midfielder Tomas Hubschman absent after he picked up a booking during the semi-final triumph over Dynamo. Lucescu's side have also been boosted by a report from the club doctor that Brazilian attacker Jadson should be able to play after shaking off a knock.
Sounds good to me.

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen Werder only sold 4000 tickets while Shakhtar 7000+.Also i know there will be many Galatasaray supporters...even president of Ukraine will be on that match...massive support for Shakhtar...If they win UEFA cup they will be heroes in Ukraine.Lucesku and players want to win it as never...they will fight for their lives on the pitch...Jadson should start as well. i think shakhtar wants it more then werder. My bets are: Jadson any time scorer 10/3 Paddy Power Fernandinho any time 10/3 PP Corect score Shakhtar 2-1 8/1 PP UEFA CUP outright winner(incl. extra time and penalties)-Shakhtar @2.00 bet365-Large stake :hope C'MON SHAKHTAR :drums

it's not in Eu it is right but it has some good v and without any problem mayking visa from Europe to Turkey !
1. there is no visa needed for traveling to turkey from gemany. millions of german turks would clearly not being amused by that. 2. there will be 5000 Bremenfans and 7000 ukranianfans and there are doubts that the match will be sold out. I heared bremen officials in an interview talking about the 5000 tickets and that they hope for some support of the turkish audiance mainly because of Özil. 3. I doubt that all this is important at all the missing of Diego is a huge huge blow but bremen is a team that especially in cup mathces showed good performances this season. I think the moral and the motivation will be high in bremen to secure a good season after the bad perfromances in the Bundesliga. They havn´t won the UEFA cup until now and they will be fit after their medicore performances during th elast weeks in the bundesliga. The real problem is I have absolutly no knowledge about Skaktar and havn´t watched a singel match so no judgement about th ematch from me and no bet

Werder only sold 4000 tickets while Shakhtar 7000+.Also i know there will be many Galatasaray supporters...even president of Ukraine will be on that match...massive support for Shakhtar...If they win UEFA cup they will be heroes in Ukraine.Lucesku and players want to win it as never...they will fight for their lives on the pitch...Jadson should start as well. i think shakhtar wants it more then werder. My bets are: Jadson any time scorer 10/3 Paddy Power Fernandinho any time 10/3 PP Corect score Shakhtar 2-1 8/1 PP UEFA CUP outright winner(incl. extra time and penalties)-Shakhtar @2.00 bet365-Large stake :hope C'MON SHAKHTAR :drums
I think bets based on motivation will be a non starter here. Skaktar might be the better team - i have absolutly no idea- but i can asure you motivation will be very high in bremen and fighting spirit has never been a problem of german teams.

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen Match preview: Shakhtar Donetsk and Werder Bremen will fight for the last UEFA Cup trophy at Sukru Saracoglu in Istanbul as Europa League will succeed this competition next season. Both teams have eliminated a couple of very good opponents along the way and we expect a very exciting final between two attack-minded teams. Shakhtar will have the opportunity to win their first European trophy, which would be a great success for the club that have made a tremendous progress in the last few years. Werder Bremen, on the other hand, have already won Cup Winners’ Cup in 1992 but we have no doubts that they will be eager to finally win the UEFA Cup after being eliminated in the semis three times. The first Ukrainian side to win the UEFA Cup? Ukrainian football has progressed a great deal in the last few years and the fact that three Ukrainian sides were involved in the last 16 of the UEFA Cup this season is the perfect proof. Among these three teams, Shakhtar are the side that have made a remarkable progress in the last decade and they seem to be on the verge of ending Dynamo Kyiv’s domestic dominance. The UEFA Cup draw played with the two fierce rivals pitting Shakhtar and Dynamo against each other in the semi-final stage of the competition. Mircea Lucescu’s team had already eliminated teams like Tottenham, CSKA Moscow and Marseille, which was a big success as they had been considered underdogs in all those matches. However, the aforementioned wins gave the Miners a lot of confidence and they believed that they could beat Dynamo and qualify for the final for the first time in their history. That is precisely what they did as the 2:1 win in the return leg was enough for the celebrations to begin, having held Dynamo to 1:1 draw in the first leg. Shakhtar now have got the chance to win their first UEFA Cup and the last one in the history of the competition, while they can also become the first Ukrainian side to win the coveted trophy. Mircea Lucescu’s got absolutely no problems with injuries, and he will also welcome Aleksandr Kucher from suspension. The only player who will miss the final game is Tomas Hubschmann, who is suspended. The Ukrainians are likely to adopt a cautious approach and look for their chance through counterattacks, but they will definitely not be concentrated solely on defence. Thomas Schaaf faces a selection headache Werder Bremen have emerged as one of the best teams in Germany in the last decade but this season didn’t start the way they had planned. Thomas Schaaf’s team largely struggled in Bundesliga, while they had just a bit more success in the Champions League. They managed to improve and finished third in their Champions League group, which allowed them to continue the European campaign by playing in the UEFA Cup. Despite continuing to struggle in the domestic league, Werder continued with very good performances in Europe and they managed to eliminate Milan, Saint Etienne, Udinese and finally arch rivals Hamburger and thus reached the final. The team proved their attacking potential by scoring 15 goals in 8 UEFA Cup games and this is clearly their strongest weapon at the moment. However, team’s most creative player and also one of the top scorers, Diego will miss the final match through suspension, which is definitely a big blow for the Germans. Diego was responsible for most of team’s goals this season and no wonder that he is set to become Juventus’ new playmaker when this season ends. Besides Diego, Schaaf has more selection problems as midfielder Jensen and centre-back Mertesacker will definitely miss out, whereas Naldo, Pizarro and Marcus Rosenberg remain injury doubts. These are all mostly first team regulars and when we take into the account the fact that Hugo Almeida will also miss the match through suspension, we will see that Werder will be severely weakened in this match. Betting verdict This is going to be a very exciting final between two evenly matched teams and even though these matches are extremely difficult to predict, we will give small advantage to Shakhtar. The Ukrainians have proved that they were a very dangerous team by eliminating some of the tournament favourites and Mircea Lucescu will be able to field a full strength side in this match. Werder, on the other hand, will be without several first team regulars, including their most influential player Diego and that is the main reason why we will back Shakhtar to win this match. Nevertheless, don’t go crazy with the stake as these games are always very unpredictable. Shakhtar to win Source Freebetting.net (Link approved by Paul Ross)

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen My selections for tonight: Bremen ML 4/10 @2.86 Özil to score anytimer 3/10 @4.33 Both team to score 10/10 @1.75 Shaktar Donezk to not score from a penalty 1/10 @21 Reasoning: Bremen is slight underdog in this one because Diego is missing, but still Bremen is capable of doing some big match and they show this even without Diego this season. For Frings (as a player) and Schaaf (as coach) it is their big chance to get their first big title, maybe their last chance. An unique chance which they will not give up easily. Donezk of course a good team with Brasilian players, a few very creative and a few very fast players which will cause problems for shaky Bremen defense. Anyway its a final and one can never know how much Donezk players will accept the fight which Bremen players definetely gonna show. As Lucescu said, Bremen has good athletic players with strong bodys and we should be all aware of how fast Brasilians tend to lose their fun in playing if you stand on their feet. Good luck everyone :ok

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen Straight win for shakhtar, just put high stake on them. It was Diego himself that brought Bremen to this final, and that man as we all know is suspended along with their second best striker (after pizarro) Almeida also suspended, making things worst, their giant german internatinal defender Mertesacker out injured, and with couple important players not fully fit. so i really dont know how they are going to cope with 4 brazilians starting the matchfor Shakhtar Fernandinho, Jadson (their top scorer), Ilsinho (the hero and main player agianst Dynamo) and Luiz Adriano, as well as Willian being in the bench. so good luck to all those backing shakhtar to win tonite, and amd pretty sure shakhtar will win, time to make some profit guys, good luck to you all..

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen I like the look of Shaktar tonight! I have watched a few of their games this year in the UEFA cup and they look solid and organised. Their league form has also been vey good, winning 9 of 10 and keeping 8 clean sheets. The Ukraine may not be as good as the Bundesliga but is obviously improving. The loss of Diego will be huge to Bremen. He has been a class apart this year and will surely hand the advantage to Shaktar. In previous games Shaktar seem to know how to grind out results and if they get ahead i can't see any way they'll let it slip! Possible result 1-0, 2-0.:ok Just in case I backed Shaktar to lift the Cup @10/11, Bet365! (8/10)

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventShakthar vs Werder Bremen
SelectionShakthar
Strength10/10
Date20/05/2009
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.78 (Back)
ReasoningIn normal circumstances Bremen would probably be my fancy for this game but without star player Diego, aswell as Almeida you have to fancy Donetsk at these prices. Shakthar are a quality outfit and have beaten better sides than Bremen on the way to the final. Bremen can score goals but they may struggle without Diego in that department and they have always been vulnerable at the back. Shakthar can win this within 90minutes in my opinion and 2.78 is fair value.

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen Well, after reading all these posts the bookies must have got things wrong and I hope your selections come off to 'bash the bookies' My own tenpenneth is that it will be a draw after 90 minutes, hence the long odds on both teams. Have a feeling the bookies think this is going to end stalemate after the allotted 90 minutes Too much has been written about a couple of players missing for Werder - this is a Uefa final and in all finals in the modern game personnel are missing through injury or more commonly via suspension, therefore Going for a draw 1-1 2-2 Good luck to all tonight

My selections for tonight: Bremen is slight underdog in this one Good luck everyone :ok
Werder is Underdog?Bookies had Bremen favorite all the way untill today.If i remember prices few days ago: @2.8 Shakhtar and @2.6 Bremen.Bookies knew about Bremen missing players ages ago and still made them favorite.This morning the price was level at some bookies but still i found Shakhtar at @2.85(Betfred).I checked prices now and Shakhtar is favorite now @2.62 and Bremen @2.85.I think it's just bacause most people bet on Shakhtar and bookies just dropped price on them. Anyway...Bremen is a good and strong team even without missing players today but i do hope Shakhtar will win it.Otherwise bookies will make sh*t loads of money because everyone is on Shakhtar at the moment. GL :ok

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen I don't know why Shakhtar are being made such strong favourites, other than the obvious. Shakhtar play in an inferior league and can't call on similar quality that Bremen can. No disrespect to Shakhtar, but Bremen in my opinion should be clearer favourites based on their ability and current standing, as German opposition, in European football. Shakhtar also haven't come up against any opposition in the UEFA cup that play attractive offensive football. Bremen have had to overcome Milan, Udinese and Hamburg to get to the final. Something that I think deserves respect. If I were to take on Shakhtar the odds would have to be over 3 for me to even consider it. However, the injuries and suspensions for Bremen can not be ignored, but these sort of things do tend to get blown out of all proportion. A win for Shakhtar should not be taken purely because of Bremen's missing players. They will still field 11 fit players.

I don't know why Shakhtar are being made such strong favourites, other than the obvious. Shakhtar play in an inferior league and can't call on similar quality that Bremen can. No disrespect to Shakhtar, but Bremen in my opinion should be clearer favourites based on their ability and current standing, as German opposition, in European football. Shakhtar also haven't come up against any opposition in the UEFA cup that play attractive offensive football. Bremen have had to overcome Milan, Udinese and Hamburg to get to the final. Something that I think deserves respect. If I were to take on Shakhtar the odds would have to be over 3 for me to even consider it. However, the injuries and suspensions for Bremen can not be ignored, but these sort of things do tend to get blown out of all proportion. A win for Shakhtar should not be taken purely because of Bremen's missing players. They will still field 11 fit players.
Marseille play attractive attacking football and Shaktar beat them home AND away! At the time Marseille was at their peak winning something like 6/7 games in a row! CSKA Moscow were being heavily tipped to lift the trophy and they tend to play pretty offensive football with their Brazilians upfront like Jo. Spurs of course played their second team so was nothing special. In the Champ league they were VERY unlucky to get beat by Barca at home with Messi scoring twice in the last 3 minutes! And away from home against Barca, the most attacking team you can play against albeit put out a second team but how many sides have this young second-string Barca still beat quite comfortably at home? Think Shaktar have proved themselves against quite stiff competition - Barca, Marsille and CSKA Moscow